Bowles will be busy this week

Posted by Darren Urban on January 5, 2015 – 2:59 pm

Now that the Cardinals’ season is over, defensive coordinator Todd Bowles can begin interviewing with various teams for their head coaching spots. And it sounds like that will make this a busy week.

Multiple reports have Bowles interviewing with the Jets on Wednesday, the Falcons Thursday, the 49ers on Friday and the Bears on Saturday. There are still rumblings that the Bills and Raiders could still ask to interview too. Either way, Bowles would seem to be a good chance to be promoted before too long, but after he signed his extension (which gave him a hefty raise) Bowles can afford to be choosy — which he was always going to be anyway. That’s just who Bowles is.

“I’ve got my fingers crossed both ways,” coach Bruce Arians joked Monday, on one hand hoping his friend and former player gets a head coaching gig and on the other hoping he stays in place.

We still don’t know who would be Arians’ choice to succeed Bowles as defensive coordinator (on staff, could it be Mike Caldwell? James Bettcher? Someone else?) but Arians has said a plan is in place. Now we wait for Bowles to go through the interview process.

Bowlesblogupdate

Tags: , , , , , ,

34 Responses to “Bowles will be busy this week”

1. By monzz on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

Lets hope it is a better plan than the one Arians had against the Panthers!

2. By rod on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

I just read today that the Falcons will let the HC help decide the new GM.

That’s where he’s going, I’ve known it all along.

3. By Cactus jeff on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

JTDG
    Remember the discussion about Minter and length, not just height but length. Well the season is over and how did Minter look? I really have to wonder if the cardinals are really doing analytics or are they just working with descriptive stats because Minter in second round is silly.

QBs with small hands don’t work
    290 lbs LTs don’t work
    MLBs who are short with short arms do not work.

I love Wlofley’s comment about Lindley. Hard to coach a player up when they don’t have the raw materials. Hey Cardinal front office, estimate the raw materials needed at each position and quit drafting players like Minter.

4. By joe.holst on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

I think he will stay. Teams want offense guys first to maximize the potential of starting Quarterbacks, Jets need to develop Geno.Smith, Raiders Derek Carr, FaclonsMatt Ryan, Bears jay Cutler, Bills EJ Emanual. , this is a scoring, passing league now. He stays.

5. By krehbieo14 on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

Why do we have these Monday morning quarterbacks who insist on tooting their own horn about draft predictions while looking in the rear view mirror? I am sure that many Cards fans have had good/bad inclinations about draft picks. So, what’s the point in sharing the obvious? It must be to make others look bad while elevating one’s brilliant assessments? Maybe we should all list picks that we nailed! lol.

6. By Scott H on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

While the defense obviously faded late in the season, I have lost no faith in Bowles and I absolutely hope he stays right here ( for now ). I LOVE the guy as our DC but….gotta be honest, I don’t know that I’d be all that psyched about him as a HC at THIS point. If he were somewhere else and the Cardinals were looking for their next HC, I don’t think Bowles would be someone high on my list. Maybe in time. But not right now. Just me.

I attribute the recent fade of the D to losing too many key players and needing to ride the guys we had too hard for too long. Some of them were not intended for that type of service but it became necessary. They just wore out. But before they did, Bowles got more out of them than most probably would have thought possible.

I honestly hope the late season fade of the defense ( suddenly getting gouged by the running game, very poor tackling, less pressure on the QB’s despite the continued blitzing ) causes teams that are interested in him to have some second thoughts. That is just fine with me. Let him stay here and marinate for another season or two. With BA and TB in place, I believe the Cardinals will remain at the top of the NFC heap during that time.

7. By kauaicardsfan on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

Aloha Darren,
    Would Rex Ryan be an option to bring in as a DC if Bowles leave? Does Rex Ryan run the same type of defense?

IDK I hope Bowles stays but with that much interviews it really seems unlikely and Head coaching offers dont come around much and Bowles is a Hot Commodity right now.

If he chooses I team I hope he doesnt go to the 49ers, I wouldnt want to have to face him in our division twice a year😦

8. By Darren Urban on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

Kauai –

RE: Rex

I don’t see it.

9. By georgiebird on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

Todd Bowles can only coach the players at his disposal. If I were Bowles, I would want out of AZ. With PP here long term, TB realizes his hands are tied.
    Should the Cardinals suffer thru a bad 2015, TB’s market value will go down even further than it did at the tail end of 2014.

10. By Eric G on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

Personally, I think the only head coaching job Bowles should take is in New England. He should wait for that one to open up.

11. By Cory on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

I don’t think that just because he is a good defensive coordinator automatically makes him a good head coach. I guess it would depend on what offensive coordinator he had.

12. By G Witt on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

We don’t need Rex Ryan!! If I’m not mistaken he coached here with his dad Buddy Ryan, and his brother. Talk about nepotism.

13. By rod on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

I could see Rex Ryan coming here but I don’t think he would mesh with BB, SK and BA.

14. By georgiebird on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

Have any of you guys seen Dockett’s comments on “Dogs”? So true. That’s what I have been saying for a while. Notice that no Cardinals’ player fills the bill.
    So to SK- In this case, follow Dockett’s advice

15. By Mark on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

The Cardinals have painted them selves in to a corner by continuing to go with old vets rather than younger talent. The vets come in one year, do great then leave like Dansby. Then they have to start all over again trying to maintain the momentum they had the year before. Foote played great for 80% of the season when his age caught up with him. Same with Kelly. The fans don’t want to hear rebuilding years but what good does it do to go 11 and 5 and not go anywhere in the playoffs or not get to the Superbowl? Not making the Superbowl for any NFL team should be considered a bad season. Not a bad team, a bad season. If you went to work and only did 80% of your job you would be canned. Everyone keeps saying that when Palmer gets back it will be all good. But how long will he go before he gets a career ending injury and we have another lost season? He was injured WALKING BACKWARDS! Same with Stanton. Listen to Doug and Wolf right now to hear about how the defense just gave up at the end. If we don’t have an offense that can score points and move the ball, the defense will just give up. We need a running back like Lynch, a pro bowl QB and some new offensive line and defensive guys asap. Start working on trades now and get rid of some of our overpaid players and get us some talent in here coach! I still will always love and support our Cardinals!!!!

16. By georgiebird on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

Bowles is in a bind. After this year, TB realizes more than ever that you can’t win without a top QB. Guess what all the teams looking for a HC have in common?

17. By Brett In Co. on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

Georgiebird, I like the fact that you get frustrated when the team loses, but I really think you get a little hasty on our defense so bad last year is about our linebackers and how slow they were and year before that I think you were bouncing on Arians about how he hired Bowles, and now you are bouncing on Patrick Peterson! Come on bro relax and take it easy I like reading your comments just sometimes you just need to relax.

18. By jme on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

this year was a great year!! Sad it didnt continue but without a top QB its almost impossible, Every plauoff team has their top QB in except the Cards. QB is the key, nothing else. If Palmer stayed healthy i gaurantee you we would of been in the NFC Championship and maybe even had a bye/home advantage. QB loss was the issue, clean it up and the Cards are top 5 in the NFL.

19. By georgiebird on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

@Brett In Co
    Thanks for the compliments (I think)
    1) Defense is so overrated-good QBs have no problem confusing the coverage.
    2) LBs are about the worst in the league
    3) I wanted Horton out; Bowles is a clone.
    4) I feel bad picking on PP- he’s an All-Pro. The guys on this site love him. My bad.

20. By Scott H on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

Not a Fitz-specific blog and I’m sure there will be many of those going forward, but a few thoughts in the meantime….

I think too much has been made of Fitz having a few consecutive seasons under 1,000 receiving yards. When I hear people point that out, I feel like they are using that as evidence that he has fallen off and / or just doesn’t have it anymore. And I say not necessarily. Let’s look at the last 3 seasons –

2014 – he was clearly being targeted less. Not sure why. But seeing as the QB position was ( again ) the story of the season for the Cardinals, how does that not have an effect on players stats across the board? Palmer only played 6 games. Stanton appeared to have less of a connection with Fitz. And once HE went down….everything was out the window. If Palmer is healthy for all / most of the season, Fitz probably reaches the 1,000 yard mark and definitely has more TD’s. And if he does, how does it all look then?

2013 – Fitz had a damn good year as far as I’m concerned. He was damn close to 1,000 yards and had double-digit TD’s. What’s not to like??? Floyd started to emerge over the 2nd half of the season, so Fitz wasn’t the only target in town anymore. And that was a good thing! A healthy Palmer equated to Fitz being right back where we expect him to be.

2012 – Man, please. Do we even need to say anything??? Look at the cast of characters that played QB during the season and how horrible they were. No WR was going to be productive in that offense.

So….how does all of this suddently mean that Fitz just doesn’t have it anymore? Given how Fitz bounced right back in 2013 with a a talented QB back in the picture, how / why would we have expected any different in 2014 with that same QB over the course of another full season???

I really think if Palmer had stayed healthy, this team may very well have won the NFC West and probably would have claimed one of the top 2 seeds in the conference. They would be playing their post-season games at home and would be going toe-to-toe with anyone. They would be a legit SB contender.

And if all of that plays out, our view of Fitz and what he means to this team probably looks a little different, doesn’t it? Just sayin’ that the way it all came crashing down at the end shouldn’t suddenly change our view of Fitz and what he DOES still mean to this team.

Floyd’s numbers fell off from where they really should have been in 2014, too. And despite a few games where John Brown made some big plays, it’s not like anyone else really stepped up and showed that they are the go-to guy at WR for this team going forward.

IMHO, a healthy Fitz ( with a healthy Palmer ) is still that guy for this team. I hope 2015 gives us ALL another chance to see that guy in a Cardinals uniform.

21. By Darren Urban on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Fitz performance

Don’t argue there are factors in how Fitz’s numbers dropped.

But bottom line, you can’t pay a receiver $15-$18 million for those numbers. That’s where it comes into play.

22. By Big Ken on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

If Bowles leaves it’s going to be an in-house guy to replace him I think. And it will not be anyone with the last name of Ryan. Doesn’t anyone remember Buddy making his two kids assistant coaches when he was HC of the Cardinals. It made me chuckle because Rex and Rob looked unathletic and had never actually played the game.

23. By D on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

Cards have more Safety’s than they need, I wonder if they should shop R. Johnson around this offseason…I bet Horton, the DC in TN would like to have him as a leader on his defense…say trade him for a 4th round pick (TN has the first selection in that round this year) and TN has plenty of Cap room….

24. By Andy Kw on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

I think trading Larry Fitzgerald is a must if we are not going to trade him. I’m a LarryFitz fan for life and I want him to stay but I think the best thing the Cardinals can do is to get younger and faster. We need cap to build and improve and his cap killer is not going to help.

25. By D on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

I look forward to your yearly Breakdown of the roster segment Darren-

If my calculator is correct, here is my way of freeing up 18 mil of Cap
    Space to resign a few players from this year and sign some UFA this
    spring.

1)- Release of Fitz. Save $9.2 mil. They can bring him back for a one day
    retire as a Card once he is done playing for the Patriots.
    2) Release of Ginn Jr. Save $2.5 mil. Can have a draft pick and B. Golden
    compete for the job.
    3) Release of L. Alexander. Save $1.5 mil.
    4) Restructure Dockett, try to redo his cap # for a 3mil savings. After all the talk
    when Dansby left by Darnell, I could see him wanting to stay to win.
    5)- Trade R. Johnson for a 4th round pick to TN-Save $1.8 mil. He had a good year, but with a healthy Honey Badger, T. Jefferson, C. Clemons, D. Bucannon under Contract for 2015 this is the one position AZ has enough depth to try and add a Draft pick.

$18 mil savings.

Resign Leach, Foote and Kelly on 1 year deals.
    Cromartie will get a better deal in free agency, if he is gone, then extend J. Bethel to another deal and give him the chance for that CB spot.

Replace D. Wiliams, Acho, Abraham, Housler and Faniaka with free agents and draft picks.

Key names in free agency to watch as pertains to AZ needs:
    (like usual, Mr. Keim usually won’t sign many big name
    players based on salary demands.) I could see a Dansby/Cromartie
    type deal for a Pass Rusher

OLB- B. Orakpo (could be a candidate for a show me type deal)
    OLB- J. Worilds (may be too expensive)
    OLB- D. Tapp

I would also watch A. Brooks in SF, most likely be a Cap
    casualty.

RB- C.J Spiller (injury concerns, not much bigger than Ellington
    but has the WoW ability that BA loves.
    RB- M. Ingram
    RB. J. Helu (has good size and would be a nice complementary back)

TE: V. Green (good blocking TE)
    TE- M. Spaeth (Steeler connection)

ILB- J. Durant (in case Foote retires)
    I also see AZ bringing back DWash.

RG- C. Boling
    RG- O. Franklin
    RG- J. Carpenter

Thanks

26. By Scott H on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

Darren –

Well, yes! The $ is THE reason we’re talking about this as much as we are. And I’m not forgetting his age, 32 at the start of next season. The team is not going to pay that much for a WR over the age of 30. My posts probably sound like I am ignoring the realities of this….but as much as I wish I COULD, I’m not.

The post I made here was really more about my opinion that Fitz has NOT declined as much as it seems some feel he has.

And, heck, look at how productive a guy like Terrell Owens was into his mid 30’s and beyond. Fitz has not been injury prone and keeps himself in awesome shape, so I see him having that type of potential.

For sake of discussion, Darren, let me ask you this…..do you think ANYONE is going to pay Fitz what his current contract calls for next year? I know you don’t have a crystal ball, so I’m asking for your opinion based on the factors that are in this case. IF we might agree that it’s likely that no team would pay him what his contact is for 2015, – and, therefore, he is going to play for less than that wherever he plays – do you see that angle giving the Cardinals having a better chance of keeping him here? In other words, if he going to play for less in 2015 no matter where he is, then why not play for less right here?

And, yes, I know that Fitz himself will play a major role in how that goes.

Your thoughts?

27. By Darren Urban on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Paying Fitz

I do not think anyone will do that. And therein lies a rub for Fitz.

You are right, the money is probably going to be the same. And Fitz is loathe to talk about wanting the ball more. So if he leaves and takes a similar paycut just to go elsewhere, is he willing to admit it was to get the ball more?

28. By Andy Kw on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

D—
    -We need an upgrade at Nose Tackle. NT Dan Williams did well against the run but hardly ever provided much of a pass rush, so let him test FA.
    -Parting ways with OG Paul Fanaika is inevitable. He exceeded expectations but we need an upgrade. Time to move on.
    -We need an upgrade at ILB. Larry Foote played well but with his age, inability to block TEs, and questionable speed, signing a FA or drafting a younger, faster ILB is a clear necessity.
    -I am a huge fan of our beloved Pro Bowl Receiver Larry Fitzgerald but his cap has to be dealt with. I feel it is time to part ways, always will respect him.
    -Ted Ginn might have had that nice game winning punt return against the NYG but other than that, he has been ineffective as a KR/PR/WR. Releasing him is a must.
    -I hope Darnell Dockett accepts a paycut
    -If we can bring back Tommy Kelly and Antonio Cromartie, that would be nice. Calais Campbell the RE, Tommy Kelly the LE, and Dockett the DT/NT sounds scary. Bringing Tommy should be the top priority as the vets prep youngster Ed Stinson.

29. By Big Ken on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

Darren, Do you see SK invite Fitz and his agent to explore a trade with another team? Or is it to Fitz’s advantage to just wait to be released outright?

30. By Darren Urban on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

Big Ken —

RE: Trade

I don’t see them exploring a trade unless both sides see no other option.

31. By Scott H on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

Yeah….I hear you. I guess it is really all about his motives, what he wants at this point. That is assuming the team is true to its word that it intends to have Fitz here next year and beyond. I mean…if players like Emmitt Smith and Joe Montana ended up playing for other teams late in their careers….then no one is immune.

And I always think about Aeneas Williams at these moments, ya know? He was always adamant about staying with the Cardinals and having success with the Cardinals – until he started hearing the footsteps of the end of his career approaching and he realized the ultimate goal of winning a SB was not gonna happen with the Cardinals.

For what it’s worth, my two favorite Cardinals of all time? They would be Aeneas Williams and Larry Fitzgerald. I needed to be happy to see AW win his SB somewhere else. I really want to see Larry win his HERE!

Thank you for the response and all the work you do here.

32. By Dr. G. on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

Georgie…everyone likes PP??…way, way too general…have you seen him play? ((I think that was tongue-in-cheek)) It wouldn’t hurt my feelings to see Keim get a couple picks for him and put Bethel in there…more speed and agility, and no more pretending. PP is a Safety who is fearful of tackling…it’s too dangerous.!

Bowles is much appreciated…just ran out of protoplasm…players sick of watching the Offense flounder.

QBs? This position needs to be upgraded EVERY YEAR…including 2015…

Rex Ryan?? Don’t want anyone named Ryan this year…I think!

Cards need to hand off the play calling…perhaps to the booth with better vision.

“D” – – 4th round pick for Rashad…have you lost your marbles?

Another FUN time of year… Be well Cards Fans…

33. By D on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

Dr. G-

Too high or too low?. TN is one team that knows him and would benefit from his play since he has experience in Horton’s defense and was drafted by Whiz. He would be key for Horton. And, like I said, TN’s 4th round pick is the first pick of the round, so you can say it’s a 3.9 round compensation. He was a 3rd round pick for AZ and is in his last year of his current deal at 29 yrs old. Cards have younger Buccannon, Honey Badger and Jefferson back there…

AZ needs to add draft picks and free up Cap space this spring..

34. By californiadon on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

Todd Bowles will be fine wherever he lands. He has been a great defensive mind and chief strategist for our beloved Cardinals especially this turmoil and injury filled recent season!

If Todd Bowles does get a head coaching job in the NFL or even College, let us all wish him well and cheer for his team (except when they might play the Cardinals).

Mr. Todd Bowles has been a class act and a great example of the Arizona Cardinals Football club!