Cardinals are drafting 24th

Posted by Darren Urban on January 5, 2015 – 8:36 am

The end of the season, given the playoff loss, brings talk of everything offseason for the Cardinals. That includes the draft (the particulars of which I’m probably not going to discuss much until we get to Scouting combine time in mid-February.) After going 11-5, the Cardinals will draft 24th, the last of all the Wild Card round losers.

The 20 non-playoff teams go first, of course. Then comes the Bengals, who were 10-5-1 in the regular-season, at 21, Steelers (11-5) at 22 and Lions (11-5) at 23 before the Cards choose at 24. It actually moves the Cardinals up three spots in the draft had the draft selection been based on records (and subsequent tiebreakers) only.

Tiebreaks in draft order are based on strength of schedule only, and the better strength of schedule you have, the worse draft spot you have — the reasoning being if you built a certain record against lesser competition, you deserve a higher choice than someone who got the same amount of wins against better competition.

The Cardinals’ strength of schedule produced a .523 winning percentage. The Lions’ was .471 and the Steelers .451.

In the second round, the Cards will move up to 23rd in that round, with the Lions 22nd and the Steelers down to 24th. In the third round, the Cards will be 22nd, Steelers 23rd and Lions 24th. In the fourth round, the Cards rotate back to 24, Steelers 22 and Lions 23, and it continues for the balance of the draft.

Tags: , , ,

55 Responses to “Cardinals are drafting 24th”

1. By Marlin on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

Good info. Guessing we’ll get a compensatory pick or two this year as well……based on losing Karlos and others last year.

2. By D on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

Correct. Hard to discuss the draft prior to free agency and the combine. Hard to discuss free agency when AZ has no Cap room, which leads us back to Fitz.

Darren, do you see S. Keim going to Darnell and asking for a reduction in pay for 2015? Could S. Keim extend J. Bethel before March and use what’s left of this year’s Cap room as his signing bonus?

Thanks

3. By Darren Urban on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

D —

RE: Dockett

Yes, I could see that. As for Bethel, I think they’d like to extend him. How it fits, we will see.

4. By sbrown on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

Cardinals front office now has to go to work for the off season. NFL Draft, first round is 115 days away ( April 30 ) with this year the draft being held in Chicago.
    past years selections…

2014, R-1 at 24 was Darqueze Dennard, CB to Cinn
    R-2 at 23 was Carlos Hyde, RB to San Fran.
    R-3 at 22 was Khyri Thorton, DT to Green Bay.

2013, R-1 at 24 was Bjoern Werner, DE to Indy
    R-2 at 23 was Vance McDonald, TE to San Fran.
    R-3 at 22 was Jordan Reed, TE to Wash.

2012, R-1 at 24 was David Decastro, OG to Pitts.
    R-2 at 23 was Peter Konz, OC to Atlanta
    R-3 at 22 was Dwight Bentley, DC to Detroit

2011, R-1 at 24 was Camwron Jordan, DE to New Orleans
    R-2 at 23 was Rodney Hudson, OG to Kansas City
    R-3 at 22 was Drake Nevis, DT to Indy

of this group of 12 draft picks, there are 5 starters and 2 back ups.
    just something to think about with the Cardinals picks in the first three rounds this year.

5. By clssylssy on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

Arg…here we go. Sounds like about where we were last draft after Keim traded our 20th pick with the Saints (26). Let’s hope Keim does a little better than his track record so far, that has completely underwhelmed.

6. By kauaicardsfan on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

Aloha Darren,
    Still upset about the way we ended but it was one of the best seasons ever as a Cards Fan!
    BTW what is the Status of DWash? Is he still having a trial or is that over? havent heard anything about it and we sure could use him back next year!!!

The league now know we arent pretenders anymore!!! Watch out we will be Stronger and better !!!

GO CARDS!!!

7. By Darren Urban on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: DWash

Mentioned in this story: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Memorable-Season-But-Big-Decisions-Await-Cardinals/63996826-bb74-4f8e-9273-f05f38a9a04d

8. By D on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

I will be interested to see if C. Irving from FSU is on the board in the second round for AZ, Cards need to upgrade their RG position. Keeping Palmer standing next year should be the #1 priority this offseason.

9. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

The Cards should have Peterson returning punts or kickoffs again, only if to try to get more bang for their buck from Peterson’s 2015 extension which Peterson hasn’t lived up to this year. He’s had some good games in 2014, but when PP is paid to be the leagues top corner and arguments can be made that he wasn’t even in the top 5 in 2014, I think it’s fair to say that PP hasn’t lived up to his end of the deal.

10. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

If a health Jonathan Cooper isn’t named the starter when camp opens, I don’t know if I’ll be more frustrated with Arians or Cooper. How do guys like Cooper and Thomas get better if they don’t practice with the first team? You don’t draft guys that high and not give them a chance to learn with the first team, especially your first round pick. They are going to have bad outings, but that’s how they learn. I just don’t want to see Keim pick up somebody off-the-steet a week before the season starts and insert him as a starter when he’s spent a grand total of one week with the team.

11. By Dynosoar on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

To begin with, i’m a fencing coach (and I’ve coached several other sports as well) and the key in winning (talent/skill/conditioning being mostly equal) is the optimum amount of stress. Too much and mistakes are made. Too little and the effort will never be enough.

Giving up puts a team into too little. We have to win puts a team into too much.

I have to say, there are those quotes out there and enough of them that state “no one wins unless we want them to win.”

This team was good enough, but we all saw it. After the tenth or so bad call/non-call the team collectively slumped and didn’t play as well. We’ve all been there when the feeling of “it doesn’t matter how hard I try, I can’t win.”

We also watched around the same time (I’d call it a really bad pass interference in the endzone, giving 7 points instead of 3 to Carolina) the the Panthers got “swagger” and that we can’t lose feeling.

Now please don’t misunderstand me, I’m not saying the refs gave the game to the bookies, but we were in it until the last of a series of bad calls/non-calls. It should have been obvious at the coin toss.

Whether the refs purposely made blown calls or just collectively had an off day I can not say. What I can say is after so many bad calls, the team felt what does it matter what we do and we all saw the slump. Bad calls and the yardage gained/lost from them may or may not change the outcome of a game, but enough of them affects mental stress and that does affect the outcome.

12. By Dynosoar on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

Please don’t misunderstand my last post, it’s not an excuse for the loss or an accusation of foul play (sorry, couldn’t resist the pun), it’s an explanation of why our team fell apart after the pass interference call in the endzone.

13. By Dynosoar on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

I loved this season. In the end it was nothing at all, because we don’t have that Lomabardi next to our name for the season.

Still, this team is one I’ll remember, along with Calais, forever. I see Fitzgerald back next season, but what I see and what happens are not always the same. With another good FA period and a good/better draft, we are still contenders .

In no particular order.

1. I was watching the Alabama (ick) Ohio State game and the Tides freshman punter (if I understood correctly, Freshman) had a 73 yard punt and averaged over 60 yards a punt. C’mon Butler.

2. I want a punt returner Not a fair catcher.

3. Is the Ohio State QB in this years draft. He was the best I’ve seen this season (granted, I’ve only watched a few handful of games.) He reminded me of Atlanta Vick, Kaep, Willson and Newton AND he threw the ball better (granted, he’s going against a college and not an NFL defense.) Then again, perhaps this is what BA sees in Thomas. And they don’t have to coach out bad habits, because he hasn’t played long enough to have them. The question, can they coach up accuracy in the off-season? Apparently they believe they can.

4. Less injuries.

5. We need one or two for the O-line and we’re there.

6. What could PP and Cromartie do on an island if we had two faster/more skilled D-linemen getting to the QB? I like upgrading here.

7. I’d like to see Williams improve his running game (and better O-line play would help) and overall have a better run game. I love pass plays, but a good run is sweet as well.

So in no particular order, these are my offseason wishes.

In 2014 – a grand fine season and one I’ve enjoyed, but in the end, nothing.
    In 2015 – the Lombardi trophy or nothing at all!

14. By georgiebird on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

Big off season for SK. Whether thru injury or bad luck, the Cards have not done well on the SK drafts in ’13 & ’14. The failure of Stinson and K Martin to be players contributed to the defensive fall off.
    If the Cards record slips in 2015, SKs drafts will begin to get serious scrutiny.
    The failure to develop LBs beyond a point continue for this organization.
    General needs:
    Offense: more intense players in the mold of A. Boldin and even J. Coop.
    Defense- bigger, faster players.

15. By jme on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

PP needs to train differently, His size at corner is hurting him with the new rules now, he needs to be faster quicker and more limber in movement, plus he needs to upgrade his studying, awareness is off a bit, got to game plan at a higher level then what he has been. PP is a top Corner and im sure next season he will be stellar with knowing now what this past season exposed in his play.

16. By Duane Spencer on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

All in all a fine season… ELEVEN WINS…for my Cards…who woulda thought.

This 2014 gets a lot of love from me… after saying that I can’t wait to see the 2015 team. I really believe that between BA and SK will conspire to give us more goose bumps next season.

Personal wants are for healthy returns by Palmer, Zastudil (spelling?), Cooper, and the other wounded. I really want to see some new thought and/or personnel in our running game, return team and a healthy pass rush from the front seven.

Although I love Fitz and he is the ultimate Cardinal, I am realist enough to know that keeping him might prove impossible. Sigh.

Thank you to all of the Cardinal players, coaches, staff and ownership for this season….thank you very much

17. By D on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

K. Martin was the biggest mystery this season….Stinson showed when he was in there he will be a good replacement of Docket in the near future, injuries were contagious this year and he got hurt… Peterson needs to play better next year and don’t let Sherman get into his head…and probably don’t read his press clippings next year..

18. By SkeltonsRevenge on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

Enough drafting rookie QB’s who take forever to develop or flop, I say Palmer, Stanton and re-sign Skelton back and let him compete with Stanton. Thomas is serious practice squad. The only reason Lindley made the team last year was an ok pre-season game, the pre-season is just pickup football.

The big issue will be if Docket and Fitz go then replacements needed, I say Fitz’s hour glass has got some more sand in it but not at that price, Docket as well. I think the analogy is sort of when Wilson left, he is still playing and was signed by Chicago but at what level. Fitz and Docket have two more productive years. Fitzgerald’s bonus is not worth it for the team, he is more of a brand at this point, he has to renegotiate the contract or be gone that is just the biz. I remember when Jerry Rice was overtaken by Owens in SF, he blamed Garcia for his poor production and then went to Oakland and it did not improve, he had lost a step.

19. By Deivison on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

Fitz wont produces for 23m in salary cap…

I could see earl Warford and this atlectic force

Todd Gurley in 24spot in the draft… I dont know… We need a power back.. Andre Ellington is impressive but he dont this player!!

I think Alex Okafor is a good OLB, great surprise for Thais year

20. By Dr. G. on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

Darren… you did very well outlining Fitz’s situation long ago. If cut, he will not likely get a huge offering unless MGM calls to make a movie. Then, if he really wants to be here, the Cards could match a sensible offer. My take…he’s gone based purely upon the play calling…his choice.

Otis…you are totally correct..! Peterson has developed a fearful penchant for significant contact. He waved at the ball as much as Ginn did. His only good year was 2011 before he started “”clucking”” every time the ball or a ball carrier came his way. He has fooled the boss into thinking he would be great for years to come. His tackles have gone down every year as well. FYI, his bio said though he was a “”running back”” he would not accept a draft as such…too much contact…less longevity.

Jme… Peterson is a Safety or RB…that cannot tackle…period..disappointing.

Looking forward to all the draft action…be well

21. By Robert on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

sickening ending as a reminder shortly after PP signed that contract i said that he was not even the best CB on the team maybe 10th overall in the NFL.can we get a do over? When your highest two salaries, Fitz and PP don’t perform up to their contract, forget it..

as far as Keims drafts, at least this year, they were not good..Niklaus? a reach! Thomas, a non factor…Buchanon..last few games nothing??!!?? Stinson hurt, MArtin????? what happened?

Whatever happened to T’amu?? why inactive..add Cooper into this plus the breakdown of Foot and Minter as a bust and you can see what happened the last few games…Kelly ran out of gas too many snaps..Great season but the last few games..seattle san fran and carolina were about the three worse defensive games i can remember and i’m going back many years…

22. By eli on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

I just read before our players cap hit, and i dont realy know much about how these contracts are made, but i found a website where you can “play” like you are the GM, and you can do something with the contracts. I found out that for Peterson i could restructed his contract, i could extend docketts contract for one year and restructed fitz contract to the minimal. And cut lorenzo alexander w his 2 million hit, and i think i cut 1-2 players for 1 million space. So it begins w +6M, and ended w 16 million under the cap. I know its just too simple, and i t was just a game, and there will be many more changes, cuts, restructions, FAs to come this year, but can u imagine that after this season we can restruct(n i donno how to write it correcty sry) PPs contract? i could do it and i made it to 10million not 14…and maybe we could make Cro’s contract w that money. I absolutely dont know is it possible or are these numbers realistic, but i think it would be great iff PP does that restruction for the team. And i think 10 million should be enough, its much money, and PP you know would get the respect as Fitz got before or Tom Brady got before. i think cro had a good season and we should keep money for the passrush, and maybe in the oline for a guard, i dont expect that will happen, but if it is poossible, PP should agree. And the same for Palmer, after this end…

23. By Scott H on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

Skelton’s Revenge –

Man, I must say, you are TRULY a John Skelton fan! I wonder if he knows there is someone out there who really has his back to the extent that you do. Gotta be honest, it makes me scratch my head a little, but….your dedication to him is impressive, nonetheless.

And I will tell you that I would have NO PROBLEM having Skelton in camp this summer! But I will also tell you that I would really only see him as a 3rd string QB on this team. I think Stanton is among the best back-up QB’s in the league and I think there are several teams he could START for right now. I really could not say that for John Skelton. But I will say this – after what we just endured, having Skelton as a 3rd string QB here would be a sight for sore eyes!

And if he were to come in here and just flat out-play Stanton, then….why not? I just don’t see that happening.

In case ya couldn’t tell, I really have no further interest in Ryan Lindley ( because we have seen enough to know HE is not enough ) OR Logan Thomas. We HAVE to go into next season seeing that both Palmer and Stanton are at least somewhat prone to injury. No more proof needed that what we just saw this season. Therefore, we CANNOT have someone as shaky as Logan Thomas behind them. Give him a chance in camp to show where he is, but….I just have no confidence in him.

And forget Lindley. We’re done with Lindley. The Cardinals are a playoff team going into next season, and can be realistically thought of as among the top contenders in the NFC. But not with a QB like Lindley. If are reduced to that again…..forget it. We know there is no hope there, so lets not bother trying to have hope.

24. By georgiebird on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

Depending so much on BASK to work their magic in the off-season. Even though Palmer is scheduled to return for 2015, having a QB ready for the 2016 is the biggest priority. That’s why whatever has to be will take a backseat to securing the QB of the future. To go 10-6 in 2015 and then drop back to .500 or less in 2016 and beyond is not what BA was brought here to do.
    A look at the QBs that were not good enough in the wild card round shows guys with the talent level of Stafford and Dalton again falling short.

25. By georgiebird on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

Tremendous loss of Jaron Brown. If I could draft any player from the 2014 Cardinals considering age, size, talent level and potential, then Ja Brown would be in my top 5.

26. By JohnnyBluenose on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

@Dynosoar…. I don’t know if our guys gave up or not but I don’t think the referees had anything to do with the outcome. You can argue that the call against Jefferson was one that is not always made but, to me, the replay showed that it was the correct call. I think the Panthers did as much as they could to hand us the game (muffed punt and Cro interception plus very ordinary play by Newton) but we were very inept on offense. And why is BA calling for a two yard pass to Fitz into traffic when it is first down on the eight yard line? On our first touchdown he brought in Thomas to run the option and it gained five or six yards. Why not try it again? Or why not have Thomas run a quarterback draw like Newton does? Maybe try a screen pass to Hughes? Throw a jump ball to Floyd in the corner of the end zone? Even a one yard completion to Fitzgerald would not have accomplished anything so why risk it? Ted Ginn had a very bad year and his fumble kind of sealed our fate but I don’t think the team quit. They were a bit worn down and not ignorant of the fact that Carolina has a good defense and that we were unlikely to score enough points to win. I think that was the very worst game of football I have ever seen but I have to believe our guys tried.

27. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

Cardinal drafts are the reason the cards needed so many FAs and lacked depth. let’s take a look at the last 4 drafts;

2011
    The cards drafted Peterson with the 5th overall pick passing on pass rushers Robert Quinn and Aldon Smith. Peterson is the Self Proclaimed best CB in the game. Even if he is not, he is at least a solid CB.

The cards then, again skipped on a pass rusher like Justin Houston, Brooks Reed and Akeem Ayers to take Ryan Williams. Williams never impressed and injuries lead to him being cut.

Rounds 3-7 , Housler, Acho, Sherman (no not that sherman, even though he was there), Quan Studivant, David Carter, and Demarco Sampson is not how you build a team. Only 2 of the 6 are on the team and those two most likely will not be resigned.

Draft Grade – C-

2012
    In round 1, the cards passed on QBs and LTs to grab WR Michael Floyd. Floyd has flashed, but to be truthful, has never lived up to his high draft status.
    The cards gave away their pick in round two for the one and only Kevin Kolb.

Rounds 3-7, Jameel Fleming, Bobbie Massie, Kelemete, Bethel, Lindley and Nate Potter. We netted a pro bowl special teams player and a RT, with 4 players who have been cut. Another horrible draft

Draft grade – F

2013
    The cards have the 7th overall pick and do the unheard of. They take a guard in the top 10. Cooper missed his entire rookie season and came back very underwelming. He sat the bench most of the year and played poorly when given a chance.

In round two they drafted Jasper Brinkley. Oh wait, it only seemed like Brinkley as Kevin Minter is a run stufffer who can not cover. Unfortunately for the cards, he showed in the last 3 games, he cant stop the run either.

Rounds 3-7, Honey Badger was on fire till an injury slowed him. Then he had trouble finding a spot. Alex Okafor was injured his rookie year but played well in 2014. His 8 sacks and an INT is something he needs to build on. Watford has yet to take the field, Taylor is a third stringer, Swope never got started, and Ellington was a nice late round find.

Overall, you can’t miss on your first two picks. At this point, that is what the cards did. We will see if that changes next year.

Draft Grade – D

2014
    Bucannon played well but never played safety. Still a question mark on whether he can transition. Niklas had an often injured season. I expect big things from him next year.

Rounds 3-7, Martin wasn’t the pass rusher we thought. John Brown was a Home Run, Stinson is a solid back up, Thomas and Powell are bust.

Draft grade – Incomplete , tough to grade at this point.

28. By Scott H on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

I say this with a chuckle, I really don’t understand what people react to sometimes with the thumbs up or down thing. I really don’t. In my previous post, I say – The Cardinals are a playoff team going into next season, and can be realistically thought of as among the top contenders in the NFC.

Only a short time later, THAT post already has two people giving a thumbs down. I’m sorry, was I supposed to say they will definitely win the next 5-6 Super Bowls, no doubt about it????

Gimme a break…..

29. By NYCardinals on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

SkeltonsRevenge
    “I remember when Jerry Rice was overtaken by Owens in SF, he blamed Garcia for his poor production and then went to Oakland and it did not improve, he had lost a step.”

1998 SFC 82 (rec) – 1157 (yds) – 9 (tds)
    1999 SFC 67 – 830 – 5
    2000 SFC 75 – 805 – 7
    2001 OAK 83 – 1139 – 9
    2002 OAK 92 – 1211 – 7
    2003 OAK 63 – 869 – 2

30. By SkeltonsRevenge on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

NYCardinals.

Good research, not saying Rice was a bum but he was not worth what they were paying him, what were his stats with Montana and Young ? Stokes did better vis a vis those latter years. Fitz will be picked up elsewhere, you give em the money on the upside not down. Look at Chicago’s nightmare contract with Cutler.

31. By krehbieo14 on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

JTDG

Thanks for the glowing draft report, Cooper et al. I am sure you’ll hit a home run again this year and make Keim look like the amateur you peg him to be! Is it just possible that the Cardinals organization has more patience and long term player belief and committment than you do?

32. By Coach K on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

At pick #24, we must find a dominating right tackle. Massie must be pushed, or replaced. This is a must need in round one.

We also need to find a quality inside linebacker and a running back with size and power.

That’s my short list. 1. Offensive Tackle, 2. Inside Linebacker 3. Running back

On the long list: Another guard, kick returner and punter.

Simple.

33. By Dynosoar on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

JohnnyBluenose,

My thoughts in response to your response.

1. I agree that bad calls do not necessarily make or break a game, but the Cardinals looked like their sails had lost their wind. I don’t know if it was reffing or being gassed out.

I Do Not Believe They Gave Up, I do believe in sports psychology and there is a point where a player/team believes they’ve lost and even though they give it their all for the rest of the game, the “swagger” if you will is gone.

I saw one of our DE’s almost get to Cam only to be tackled and held down, Cam then ran for a first down. No holding. The last pass interference could have been a good or bad call, I didn’t see every angle and you may have seen a better angle than I.

I do know that it was after that that the team looked a step slower. Again, sports psychology or worn out. I was not able to read their minds or see an energy bar beside them, so I don’t know. I’m just offering an alternative.

(And Like Scott H., apparently my alternatives are thumbs down, or it’s my name. So be it. I’m a Dynosaur and have thick skin. Scott, I gave you a thumbs up. Sometimes I like the thumbs, sometimes I don’t. It is what it is.)

34. By Dynosoar on Jan 5, 2015 | Reply

Johnnybluenose, thanks for your thoughts. I don’t believe they gave up, but psychology or wear and tear caused them to just slow down a bit, just enough and the Panthers picked it up at about the same time. That made all the difference.

Earlier in the season it was the Cardinals who picked it up. The difference in a 9-1 streak and a 2-6 streak.

It was a blast to watch our team throughout the season and for a playoff game. Too bad it couldn’t continue.

As a side, Geogiebird was right, Lindley had a 57.8% completion, Cam had 56.4%. Lindley has improved and if it wasn’t for the interception he’d have had a good chance to have pulled out the win. We’ll never know, because he did have the interception.

Be well my friends. It was a good run.

35. By SkeltonsRevenge on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

Hi Scott H,

All makes sense, there needs to be QB competition in camp. As for Stanton you could say the same for Skelton in 2011 replacing Kolb. At the end of the day we just cannot have the situation we ended up with in the end this year where QB’s could have been on Keim’s speed dial. I mean in Sept if you had told me Lindley would be starting a wildcard playoff game I would have bet my house against it. Logan has had a slower learning process, more than any of the previous Card QB rookies. I am not drinking the juice yet on that guy.

Per Skelton, I just think he got a bad rap in 12 and screwed around in Cinci, SF and Tenn. Three teams had him workout to backup for the playoffs including Dallas but they went with Kitna who knew the system. I think no QB would have salvaged the beating Ariz took in Seattle 2012, the D got whacked too against Lynch ! Worst thing was Whiz benched Skelton for 3 games prior then threw him in Seattle saying it was an intimidating place for Lindley to play ! The whole team sucked. If you saw Lindley vs the Jets game in 2012 it was a precursor to Sunday’s Carolina game. It was not Lindley’s fault he did his best.

Cheering for Dallas now ! They are saying there that Romo is the new Skelton🙂.

36. By Marcelof on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

Well….. at least we’re not the Redskins..

37. By Richard L on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

For what it’s worth, here are my mock draft picks for the Cardinals in round 1-4 based on need and who might be available that round.

Rd. 1 Melvin Gordon, WISCONSIN-RB
    Rd. 2 Hauoli Kikaha, WASHINGTON – OLB
    Rd. 3. Trey Flowers, ARKANSAS – DE
    Rd. 4. Ramik Wilson, GEORGIA -ILB

38. By jeffgollin on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

Stocking a pro football rosters is more about possibilities than it is “definites.”

SK and BA rolled the dice on moves that seemed sly at the time, but sometimes they didn’t pan out (the cuprits more often than not being injuries).

Yes, I would have wished SK had “waisted” another roster spot on a QB we could win with, and yes, I wish he’d have been more proactive in acquiring a big durable RB who’d consistently move the pile.

But understand that, if either C Palmer or Stanton or Andre Ellington had remained healthy, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

“Possibilities”, not “definites.” You roll the dice, play the odds and take your chances.

39. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

krehbieo14,

Tell me how I am wrong? It is easy to take cheap shots behind your computer keyboard, but your lack of competent comments shows your limited understanding.

Instead of being immature and trying to make derogatory comments , why not show me where I am wrong?

Who are you developing? From 2011-12 drafts, 15 players were drafted. 7 of the 15 are still on the team. But of that 7, Lindley, Housler, and Acho all have a chance not to be in 2015. So after 3-4 years, those drafts could have 4 of the 15 players drafted. So who are you developing?

Is it not true that 2011 has only Peterson as a solid starter?
    Is it not true that Floyd was a disappointment this year and there is only 3 of the 7 players who is on the team in 2012?
    Is it not true Cooper and Minter were disappointments for 2013 and 2014?

I’m sure you will make another derogatory comment with no merit because you have nothing else. Cooper is just one poor choice. Not the only over tha last four years.

BTW, Keim wasn’t the GM in 2011 and 2012 , Graves was. His poor drafts is what got him fired.

40. By krehbieo14 on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

JTDG,

“Cardinals drafts are the reason the cards needed so many FAs and lacked depth.”
    Your first sentence speaks for itself. IMO, you exaggerate your draft assessments and conclusions in order to elevate your personal biases.

41. By Big Ken on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

Come on a good mock draft cheers me up!

42. By Coach K on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

In Defense of JTDG

I have been a member of this blog for a very long time and I want to say that JTDG and I have bounced many names on our own mock drafts the last couple years. And with those postings, some big disagreements. But I am man enough to admit it’s all in good fun, and to be honest, when I look at the players JTDG listed, he was correct on over 60% of those players who actually made teams and were starters as rookies. I recall liking Martavis Bryant, JTDG liked Donte Moncrief at receiver. Both were impact players. On defense, I liked Martin, JTDG liked Demarcus Lawrence. Lawrence turned out to be the better rookie.

So I don’t understand all the quibbling above. I think JTDG has solid information and I enjoy his contributions each year.

Lighten up guys.

43. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

To those who think I am not being fair when assessing the cards drafts; Claiming i exaggerate the conclusions, look for your self how the west was lost.

In 2009, the cards were on top of the West with back to back playoffs. Then Warner left and in 2010, the tide changed. the cards find no QB and miss in the draft while SF and Hawks score big.

2010

Cards
    The cards score with their two first picks in Williams and Washington. But only 2 of the 7 picks survive till the Arians era.

Seattle
    grabs their two starting Safeties in Thomas and Chancellor along with 3 other starters. 5 of the 9 picks start on their super bowl team in 2013.

Niners
    Meanwhile, the niners solidify their line with a draft of their RT and Rg along with their starting ILB (bowman). 4 of their 9 picks will play in their super bowl.

2011-

Cards
    have 1 starter in Peterson and two back ups, housler and Acho, out of the 8 picks

Seattle –
    Both starting CBs (Sherman and Maxwell) Starting guard, Starting LB, and nickle LB who also was Super bowl MVP with 6 of their 9 draft picks on the team and a 7th was a starter but retired.(injury)

Niners-
    They had 10 picks and have 6 of them on the team. The ones they missed were two 7th rounders and two 6th rounders. Out of this was 4 starters including the QB Kaep.

2012-

Cards
    take Floyd, but spent 2nd rounder on Kolb. Massie starts at RT and Bethel is a star on ST. But again, 3 of the 8 picks (counting the pick for Kolb) are on the team

Seattle
    7 of their 10 picks are on the team, including QB Wilson. 4 of the 7 are starters while RB Turbin and CB Lane play a lot. Interesting, the other 3 are playing on other teams and 1 is a starter.

Niners-
    Have a horrible draft, with only one player on the team. But because they are loaded, they are a superbowl team. But this slip shows up in 2014 as the niners fall out of the playoffs after 3 years in.

It is not too hard to see how the cards were over taken by the niners and hawks (each going to the super bowl in 2012 and 2013).

In 2013, the cards rebound by trading draft picks for Carson Palmer, finally giving the cards a QB. With an excellent Free agency landing guys like Dansby and Abraham, both guards and LT, and the starting Cb, the cards climb back in it. But with a draft that seemed to miss with the first two picks, the cards are still missing ILBs, guards, and OLBs.

If you want to be sustainable and win year after year, you can not keep missing in the drafts. No matter how you cut it, the poor drafts by the cards, coupled with the amazing drafts by the Hawks, is exactly why the cards have lost 4 of the last 5 games vs seattle.

If we want to overtake Seattle, we have to draft better. Facts are facts. FA can help you win now, but the draft keeps you winning for years to come.

44. By Chris Lewis on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

I have to agree with Robert regarding Patrick Peterson, from what I’ve seen, he doesn’t really impress me, at least this year anyway, not to the degree that everyone seems to hype him up to be anyway, I don’t think he deserved to make the pro bowl this year, he has too many penalties, gives up too many touchdowns/big plays, he’s overrated, I’m not saying he’s not a good CB, just not a pro bowl caliber, especially not in the conversation of being the best CB, there are a handful of other CBs in the league better than PP. I think there’s room for improvement and in the near future there’s still a chance he could be an elite CB, but this year he sure didn’t play up to his contract.

45. By Big Ken on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

Agree with Coach K. It’s all fun. And we all like to speculate. Some of the long time bloggers have some good incite, it’s a joy to read there musings.

46. By Black1137 on Jan 6, 2015 | Reply

Talk about the draft right now is obsolete. If we draft defense, we don’t even have a DC in place after TB gets a head coaching job.

47. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

Black1137

to take it a step further, players have till January 15th to declare for the draft. So we do not know all the Jrs who will be there.

Then we have FA in March, Which changes teams draft boards. They say BPA, but not really.

I think talking in generalities is all we can do right now. i.e. – we need ILBs and here are guys I like….

48. By Dr. G. on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

JTDG- – – You & I do not always agree on picks & plays, but I appreciate what appears laborious detail in your draft posting…good stuff.

Today, I give you props for the draft history study. But, on PP, we disagree. He is not a “”solid CB.”” He is a gigantic disappointment. His rep was developed in 2011 on STs, and it is all downhill since. Because he had a rep, some QBs avoided throwing his way, a la Megatron…that proves nothing.

When they throw his way, a la to Julio Jones, he was exposed for what he really is, a below avg back at any position who should have a different contract when his guarantee runs its course…or…as I posted earlier, take a pick or two for him right now in a trade.

Your thoughts?..be well..

49. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

Dr G,

Peterson;

My thought is this, at times he is a disappointment. But mainly because the expectations are so high (brought on by his self promotion).

I would say Cromartie was beaten more than Peterson, but because of Petersons mouth, people forgive Cro and blast PP.

I do not think he is the best CB. I also do not think he should ever be mentioned with Primetime or Revis Island. He is not close.

But if you ask his peers, receivers he plays against, they would rate him in the top 5.

A solid CB is someone you are not looking to upgrade. I think he is that.

50. By Dr. G. on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

jtdg – – on PP, yes he runs his mouth… so does Sherman. The difference is the team can rely on Sherman “”every game.”” As Sherman speaks, his intellect//education becomes obvious…PP…not… He is never clear with his remarks. We understood when Keim said he needs to think out there. His athleticism got him here, not his stratagem.

Most sports writers say: “”Peterson can’t be trusted against the highest competition.”” If you watch the same games I see, that quote is very accurate. He gets juked regularly or draws dumb penalties. And for the money, it is absurd.

If Bethel gets more CB work this Fall, it will be an eye-opening comparison. When I think of Julio Jones, that simply did it for me. We can agree to disagree… PP …not top 5… perhaps he will improve in 2015…be well

51. By David Lopez on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

Patrick Peterson a disappointment? Are you joking the way our defense is set up he is relied on way to much. If any corner came to play for our type of defense it would be the same. Sherman couldn’t play for us he needs help from his 2 safeties. Although he gave up some TD’s the reason it’s happening is because he can’t play his game anymore you can’t touch these recievers anymore.
    Logan Thomas a bust? In a few years he’ll be the best QB of his draft class. He has the strongest arm in football right now, he clocked a 61 mph ball that hasn’t been done in the past 10 years. He’s 6’6 and runs a 4.59 he’s the biggest and fasted QB in his class clean up his mechanics and footwork and you have a elite QB in the making.
    Michael Floyd a disappointment? He hasn’t had a steady QB all year. You expect him to have chemistry when his QB is changing every other week? When he has a consistent distributer like palmer last year he had a 1’000 yard season. Next year is his break out year.
    To be honest I was appalled to read some of these ignorant comments. SK has done a lot out of nothing. The cards will be the NFC west champs next year. The pieces are in place for our championship run #BirdGang

52. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

Dr G,

No offense to Darren or Kent , but I will have to trust NFL wide receivers over sports writers.

Take money, take his talk, take all the rest out of the equation. You are not finding 10 guys better than him.

53. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 10, 2015 | Reply

David Lopez,

PP being a disappointment;
    I said he is viewed at times a disappointment because of the high expectations. I also said he is a top 5 CB to me.
    Got to read the whole comment.

Floyd;
    He is not a #1 receiver. When you think of high first round picks, do you take Floyd over Sammy Watkins? Odell Beckman? Kelvin Benjamin? No. and they were rookies. No matter how you spin it, it was disappointing. At times, he checked out of games, even when Palmer was in there.

Thomas;
    Jamarcus Russel could throw a ball 70 yards in the air on one knee. Yet he was a bust. How could that be with his strong arm?
    It takes so much more to be a QB than a strong arm. The rest of your comment was a lot of hoping and wishing. He never was accurate in college and he isn’t now. He could not beat out a guy who was probably the worst playoff QB in NFL history.

In fact, he was named the starter for 2 days but was removed after one practice. He is bad. I know, I know, wait till 2017 and I’ll see. Right?

54. By Dr. G. on Jan 10, 2015 | Reply

jtdg…. trusting the receivers over the “solid” analytical media on PP?? What do you think ((WR)) Julio Jones might say about PP with 10 catches for 189 yds. Including a 41 yd penalty. PP responds to his embarrassment by saying: “”Cy Young winners give up homers, you just have to bounce back.”” ((Such eloquence!)) There are many other sterling performances I withhold.

Any decent CB does not yield numbers like this even once. A solid top 10 CB never….. I am suspending my narrative on PP for a while as not to offend any of his groupies who do not really isolate his performance for review…be well Cards Fans

55. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 11, 2015 | Reply

Dr G,

You see, your personal feelings about him are in the way. PPs comments bother me also.

Looking at numbers, he did yield way too many touchdowns and it was a HUGE mistake by Keim to sign him before he needed to.

There is a lot about what you say that I agree with.

I also know very few CBs are asked to do what PP is asked to do. Sherman doesnt do what he does. Plus Sherman has an amazing FS who saves his butt a lot.

Example, the TD to Kelvin Benjamin that had Sherman beat but Thomas comes over and almost pick the ball. The diference in that play is PP has no help. So, PP gives up a go ahead TD while Sherman getting beat isn’t mentioned because of Thomas’ amazing play. .

Truth be told, because we didn’t have pass rushers and we did a terrible job landing LBs to fill in for DWash and Dansby, we had to blitz and commit safeties to the run game. PP and Cro were put on islands and if the blitz did not get there, they got beat from time to time.

That is understandable. the problem lies when PP compares himself to Ty Cobb or Primetime. The problem is that huge contract. The problem is how he takes such lazy approach at times.

I’ll give you one last example. He shut down Dez Bryant. But then at the end of the game he gives up a TD in which it looked like he didn’t even try.

I’m not a PP fan and am a little sick of his antics. I would not mind trading him if you could get a 1 and a 2. (But that contract will prevent that.)
    But he is good and is a top 10 CB.