Warner to help … Kaepernick

Posted by Darren Urban on January 7, 2015 – 8:20 am

It’s still an unknown who the 49ers head coach will be post-Harbaugh, but we do know now who will be coaching struggling quarterback Colin Kaepernick in the short-term. And it’s … Kurt Warner.

The former Cardinals quarterback will be tutoring Kaepernick here in the Valley, no less, as Niners beat guy Matt Barrows reported. it’ll be at EXOS, formerly Athletes Performance Institute. It’s not altogether odd, seeing that Warner can help a bit without a) leaving home and b) getting too deep into coaching. Ever since Warner retired I’ve gotten hit with questions from fans of why Warner wouldn’t be asked to join the coaching staff, but Warner never had any interest in putting in the hours required to be an NFL coach. He’s got more important things to do in his life with his charities and his family, and coaching eats up far too much time. This scenario is much more reasonable.

Of course, it also means Warner is trying to help improve the quarterback of a Cardinals’ rival. So that could sting down the road. Barrows writes that Warner (and former journeyman pro QB Dennis Gile) won’t try and fix Kaepernick. Instead, “Warner will be on hand a few days each week to work with Kaepernick on film study, charting plays (so-called ‘board work’), seven-on-seven drills and other mental aspects of the game.”

UPDATE: Warner talked about the offer on the Tiki and Tierney Show Thursday morning on CBS Radio, acknowledging he has heard from fans of both the Cardinals and Rams disappointed he is helping a 49ers quarterback.

“I put the offer out there to a lot of young guys and Colin is the first one that really reached out and said, ‘If you have a little bit of time for me, I’d love to work together,’” Warner said. “People can say what they want. I’m more about helping that young man become all he can be. Do I want the Cardinals to win games? Of course I do. Do I want the Rams to win? Yeah. But I want all these guys to push that envelope and if I can help in any way, I’m happy to do it.”

Tags: ,

52 Responses to “Warner to help … Kaepernick”

1. By Unfinished Business on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

I will lose a lot of respect for Warner if he goes through with this. A franchise icon helping a bitter rival get better? Totally unacceptable.

2. By georgiebird on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

Warner is also helping the LA Rams’ opponent so Cards’ fans should not take it personal.
    If Warner is good enough to tutor Kap then he should be good enough to tutor Palmer and Stanton. Also, Palmer and Stanton play the game in a style closer to Warner. So if it’s on the field or in the film room, the Cards should have been willing to hire Warner in some capacity if the Cards felt Warner was a difference maker.

3. By Roy on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

Hmmm. Kurt Warner is one of my all time heroes. I grew up in St. Louis, and moved to Arizona in 2003. Kurt was sent to the Giants the first year I moved out here. I went out and bought a Giants hat to support him. It wasn’t until Kurt joined the Cardinals that I actually became a Cards fan. I’ve been a die hard Cards fan ever since. This is a little disturbing, however, it’s not like he’s on the niners staff. So, I guess it’s really not that big of a deal. Bottom line, I bleed red and my loyalty to the Cards, does make me raise an eye brow to my childhood hero.

4. By grabling on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

Warner never believes in this team… he always picked the other team in game day

5. By Roy on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

Another thing. I don’t want to win because Kap isn’t that good, I don’t want us to win because Russel Wilson gets hurt, or Lynch leaves the team. i want us to win because we are the BEST team in the League. So, go ahead and help Kap. Great! They need all the help they can get. The Niners are not our biggest Rivals. They are team that is imploding. Doubt they finish over .500 next year. The Seahawks are our True Rivals. They are the team to beat. We will be playing the (most likely) two time world Champions twice next year. So go ahead, help Kap all you want. He’s gonna need all the help he can get when a Full Strenght Cardinals team is beating down the gates of his Offensive line.

6. By ASQuiros on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

I don’t like this at all. I am a big, big Warner fan, but this offends.

7. By LadyBird04 on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

If Warner is helping with film study/reads, there would be no reason for him to help Palmer who probably spends as much time watching film (if not more) than the coaching staff.

Kapernick is more of an instinctual player and because of his falling numbers last year after other teams “got his number”, he is doing the smart thing and looking for someone to help him learn the parts of the qb position that aren’t his strong suit. Couldn’t get a better teacher for that part of the game.

Now, would I prefer Warner spend the time with Logan Thomas who is obviously having problems with his read of the game, absolutely. We live in a free-market economy and since Warner isn’t employed by the Cardinals in any capacity, there is nothing we can do or say about it. Just wish it wasn’t so.

8. By EDijkstra on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

Stinks

9. By clssylssy on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

As everyone keeps harping…”This is business”… and business is business (and a free country last time I checked). As a fan of football first and the players who play the game, this sounds like a great opportunity for Kurt to keep actively involved in the game he loves while helping young players grow and develop; like it or not, Kaepernick is a great talent. Many former pros keep their foot in the game after retirement by tutoring current and prospective players, and the Cardinals have no more claim on Warner’s personal time after taking off the uniform than St. Louis or the Giants, etc. There is no conflict of interest. For a franchise that is trying to welch on Fitz’s contract, it’s kinda hypocritical to try and play the loyalty card here, and perhaps Warner has a better perspective of things, we, as fans, never see, as we are spoon fed organizational bologna. Most players and coaches actually are friends and professional colleagues, off the field, in much the same way as lawyers or other professionals. They may have advasarial roles in the work arena but are peers in their personal lives. The concept of fans thinking they “own” any part of a sports celebrity’s life is more than a little creepy!
    I don’t know why anyone would even have an issue with this as the Cardinals are suppose to have the “QB whisperer(s)” currently on staff, and certainly have to be aware of outside resources for player development (if they care to engage their services). I’m not so sure Warner would even fit into BA’s philosophy.
    Personally, I can only see professionals like Warner tutoring young players as a good thing for the game. Remember, this is the entertainment industry and so much of what fans are sold is hype to drive up the profits for a business owner. Good Luck Kurt Warner and thank you for your many contributions to the game!

10. By Marlin on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

not good

11. By Felix Macias on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

Why don’t he help his old team the Cards????

12. By Mark on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

This is no different that Fitz’s receivers camp he does every year. It unselfishly shares information around the league with those who want to reach the next level. Kurt should be working with our qb’s. Why didn’t our staff think of this first???

13. By D on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

I could see Kurt rolling up to a Scottsdale club as the DD picking up Kap after some insane SB party…

SF has bigger issues like
    UFA Gore
    UFA Crabtree
    UFA Iupati
    UFA Cox and Cook
    An unhappy V. Davis
    Coordinators trying to interview with other
    teams and getting turned down by their current owner…

and finding a new HC to run the zoo..

14. By Vinny on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

Wait, what? Why is he not helping the Cardinals somehow??

15. By D on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

I have a solid solution for the Cards this offseason to keep their big name players like Fitz, Docket and to free up Cap space and be a SB contender in 2015.

The one player that if AZ could sign in free agency, I could see Larry and Darnell take less to stay here and I also could see Palmer do a restructure in order to free up more Cap Space…. sign A. Peterson when he is released in Minn.

Adrian will be 30 yrs old, has made a ton of money but has never won in the NFL.
    Be creative on a contract with plenty of incentives…he isn’t a 8-10 mil yr Cap hit type of player anymore. Even if he ran for 1100 yrds next year, he would put the Cards up there to compete with Seattle and GB for the chance to go to the SB.

And before you all say he is in the same boat as R. Rice, I would loudly disagree. He can save his career and imagine by going to a small media market like PHX working with the Bidwill family in the community.

16. By Roy on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

He is the Patron saint of the Arizona Cardinals. Maybe Logan should attend the camp.

Ya know I read something interesting. We were all pushin for Logan late in the year, and when we saw him play, it created some doubt about him. BA was right. He wasn’t, and is not ready. Aaron Rodgers sat on the bench behind Favre for 3 years! 3 years! His number were pretty similar to Logan’s as well. And now he is arguably the best QB in the game. So, let’s have Logan sit behind Carson for two more years. Let Carson win back to back rings, and then hand it over to Logan.

17. By Perry Matherne on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

Boy,that nice.He’ll help a nfc west team,but not arizona,wow that’s amazin what a turncoat.Anybody want to buy a authenic warner jersey in great cond.real cheap,contact me perry matherne,i’m on facebook.

18. By Steve Weston on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

Though I was dismayed at first when I read this, the more I think about it I just don’t see anything ‘wrong’ with what Kurt is doing. He’s not giving away secrets or anything, he’s just helping another QB with technique. My immediate thought was that this similar to what Fitz does every off-season with his camp. Nobody ever accused Fitz of being a traitor, and I think Kurt should be afforded the same consideration.

Looking forward to the next big steps of the off season and, of course, to seeing our Cards at full health next season. And please, please, PLEASE let’s stay healthy for the entire year and all the way to the Super Bowl!

19. By joe.holst on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

It’s no big deal, nothing can help Kaep, bring in every hall of fame QB to work with him and it still can’t help his accuracy. He play scared.

20. By Andy Kw on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

I’d be lying if I said I’m not disappointed about this decision. There is nothing wrong with a HoF Candidate helping out an emerging star. I just wish it wasn’t anyone in the NFC West. Colin Kaepernick has every right to seek help with his slump year and it is good on his part to have good taste in QB Mentors. Logan Thomas should seek help as well and learn somethings from both Kaepernick and Warner. If Logan Thomas joins then maybe we Warner fans will feel a little better.

21. By Lee W. Flanagan on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

Roy, it sounds like you bleed all colors not just red. Warner isn’t with any of these teams anymore. What if Warner moves to St Louis? You gonna bleed blue and gold? If so, what if the Rams move to LA and Warner stays in St Louis? What color are you bleeding then. Clear blood?

22. By Lee W. Flanagan on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

Kurt owes nobody nothing. Think he should’ve played one more year before he retired but oh well. He’s rich and still wants more like most greedy rich people do. It’s his right. Think the Saints scared him when they beat the hell out of him and the referees did nothing to help him. Remember that was right before the Saints (pay-for-hurt) scandal.

23. By Scott H on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

Oh, man…..really can’t believe all the hoopla over this. C’mon, folks, don’t we have much bigger things to concern ourselves with?

First, I love me some Kurt Warner, but….a franchise icon??? Really? That might be going a bit far.

Listen, Kurt also played for the Rams and many would say that since they WON a SB with Warner there, he probably means more to THEM than he does to the Cardinals. He also had his best statistical seasons there. Bottom line – he did great things in both places. And I will always LOVE the guy for what he helped the Cardinals achieve.

My point is, Kurt Warner is NOT the exclusive property of the Arizona Cardinals. He is beyond his playing career now and as a panelist on the NFL Network, he has to pay attention to ALL teams, ALL players, ALL situations. Geez, do people expect him to stay off the air the rest of the season because the Cardinals are no longer in the playoffs???

And for whoever said Warner never believes in his team…..well, again, Warner played for the Cardinals AND the Rams. So, why do WE get to arbitrarily decide that the Cardinals are “his team?” BTW, during a recent discussion of the Cardinals on the NFL Network after they lost Stanton, I heard Warner refer to the Cardinals as “my Arizona Cardinals.”

There. Feel better?

And since he IS beyond his playing career, shouldn’t he be able to pursue whatever coaching / mentoring opportunities he pleases? This could be a great opportunity for him and one that could prove to very lucrative for him and his family. And….he should turn it down because it involves a team other than the Cardinals??? That would mean he should never pursue any such opportunities from 31 of the 32 teams in the NFL. And THAT is absolutely ridiculous.

Kurt will ALWAYS be a Cardinal to me. I will ALWAYS wear my #13 jersey and refer to him as a Cardinal. And I will maintain that attitude regardless of what he does or where or for who. That’s good enough for me.

This would be an outrage if he were still playing for the Cardinals and “helping” other QB’s during the off-season. But this? No, I see nothing wrong with this.

24. By NYCardinals on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

Cardinals fans: How could you, Kurt? You brought us to the Super Bowl. You’re ours.

Rams fans: He was a Champion and 2X MVP with us.

Barnstormers fans: Hell, he’s in the Arena Football League Hall of Fame.

Hy-Vee, Cedar Falls Manager: Just about the worst stock boy we ever had.

25. By clssylssy on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

What Kurt is doing is a little different that what Fitz does, in that this is not a free clinic. Logan Thomas is under contract with the Cardinals and it could be that they do not want an “outside” personal coach/tutor to introduce conflicting or methods different from BA’s philosophy and process even if it is Kurt Warner (who is not among BA’s former proteges) Arians has his own scheme that is complex and not “one size fits all” and it could be that a different coaching methodology might be counterproductive to what he is trying to achieve.
    Anyone who has ever been a serious competitive athlete or coach knows that often times changing coaches can produce negative results even with the most accomplished coaches/teachers as there is a setback produced by a difference in technique which is not what we need for Logan Thomas.
    Before fans over react and go off the deep end, maybe there is a actual reason why Warner is not working with the Cardinal QBs in addition to his not being a consultant even on the very large QB staff.

26. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

How does a guy in our Ring of Honor aid and abet a chief rival? Bush league move by big league guy. Yes, he has the right, but it comes with dishonor.

27. By Dr. G. on Jan 7, 2015 | Reply

It’s a conspiracy I tell ya… They’re going to trade Kaepernick for Patrick Peterson, rework both contracts and hire a shrink…!

28. By rod on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

Kaepernick does look a little primordial dwarfish in the face, maybe Kurt is just being nice to him.

29. By Davemaham on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

It’s scary to see how well this organization is progressing. I think a lot of us forget that our GM and head coach are only completing their second years in such a position. And look what they’ve done. Not to mention that Kichael has only been behind the wheel for a short time, his passion mixed with smarts is a great combo.

I used to worry about losing good players, now I know it doesn’t matter with Keim running things, he will find a replacement. Of course it would be very difficult to see Fitzy and Docket go, but most others wouldn’t seem to be so hard to take these days.

What a great season. This team was very impressive. The defense could of ended on a higher note. And I really hope PP steps up next year. It’s not enough to be the best cover corner in the league; the Cardinals need a leader on defense, someone who can tackle and play tougher, and he needs to be coached on talking to the media and getting his thoughts out better. I hope he works on these things, next year could be one for the history books.

30. By Marlin on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

On a different topic. WE GOTTA HAVE DOCKETT BACK.

31. By Scott H on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

NYCardinals –

Nice, man! That was good for a chuckle.

32. By Dave Kirsch aka A.M.Bush on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

Come-on, Warner was a “Pro” he’s now retired. Why is it so bad that he runs a camp for other QBs? I loved him as a Card. I hated him as a Ram. I saw him get pummeled at Sun Devil Stadium, as a Giant. He’s ok as a talking-head, not great. In the end it probably won’t do much to change the ego of some San Fran QB. Let’s not dwell on the rest of the players in the league, let’s concentrate on our players and coaches.

33. By Andy Kw on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Do you expect any offensive coaching changes within the next several weeks? Is there any chance Tom Pratt can be our Defensive Coordinator if Todd Bowles leaves?

34. By Darren Urban on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: Coaches

I do not expect offensive coaching changes right now.

And I highly doubt Tom Pratt would be tabbed as DC.

35. By Dynosoar on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

Andy KW,

If your wanting another DC (if Todd Bowles does leave) who’s got many, many years experience, I hear Dick Labeu (sp) may be being released from the Steelers.

36. By Greg D on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

It is totally absurd that Warner would help improve a division opponent’s quarterback. He needs to show some loyalty. There are 26 other teams that would have a quarterback to help…how about Johnny Football. He should like to party in the Valley!

37. By Mike in Gilbert on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

I can’t believe some of the negative Kurt comments….

1) Did you see the game vs Panthers? Note the word “game”. That’s all this is. A game.

2) Larry’s receivers camp: what’s the difference, Kurt-bashers? NONE.

3) He went from one division team, to us (via NYG). Rams fans were less whiny. Let it go.

38. By fighting bird on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

Kurt Warner is a professional, period. nothing else should be said.

39. By Dr. G. on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

Davemaham… we are on the same page with your post here with the exception of wishing PP will change his mo… not happening. I have observed him closely since 2011; no one thinks his new deal was prudent now. He fooled lots of us.

If you have read any of my posts, you know that I would love to trade him from that huge dea or rework it. He is immature for his age and NFL experience along with a developing fear of the necessary contact for this game. Leadership is earned, not entitled… Just for grins, I am hoping a miracle will change things…be well

40. By RelayTV on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

From this article on NFL.com it appears that Kap is the first QB who has asked Warner for help:

QUOTE – “Kurt Warner is willing to offer his services to any quarterback seeking help to grow their game; Colin Kaepernick is the first to take him up.”

Well Lindley, Logan Thomas, Drew Stanton, etc… What are you guys waiting for.

If you want help, call the man.

41. By RelayTV on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

And as far as some of you questioning Kurt’s love for the Cardinals…

He contemplated coming out of retirement to help the team this season.

He never said that for the rams or giants or the barnstormers, or the supermarket.

Do you honestly think he would not help the team in any way IF THEY ASKED HIM?

42. By californiadon on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

I truly wonder if Ryan Lindley even thought about asking Kurt Warner?

43. By CORMAC on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

On one hand I applaud Kurts human kindness. He helps other people much like Larry Fitz. On the other hand, I am pouring gas on his jersey and lighting it on fire….Nothing personal, I just hate traitors.

44. By clssylssy on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

For the benefit of the many uninformed, perhaps you would be interested in a little information about EXOS. You will see it is a business venture, something that our QBs didn’t choose to avail themselves of (if they were even allowed the do so by the team) and IT IS NOT FREE. There are a number of facilities around the country similar to this such as Mike Barwis’s place in Detroit (Tyrann Mathieu and Richard Sherman are among those who have worked on rehab etc. there)
    Also, pulled this interview off Twitter in which Kurt explains his role and reasons for working with Kaepernick. Bottom line: The game is what is important and quality training of young players serves to make the game better for everybody! To Kaep’s credit, he reached out and asked for help to improve his craft🙂

45. By Jon on Jan 10, 2015 | Reply

Warner would gladly help the Cards, but Keim and BA clearly did not want his help, even after Warner talked to BA about coming back to help. bA and Keim ignored any overtures from Warner.

Don’t understand why BA and Keim spurned and rejected Warner, but they did. It also seems they don’t want Logan Thomas to get any training and tutoring from Warner who would gladly help anyone who would just ask him for help.

Such are the egos of Keim and BA who chose for the Cards to go down in a whimper instead of fighting and clawing their way trying to get to another Super Bowl with Warner leading the Offense. You can bet the house that Fitz and everyone else on the Cards Offense would have jumped at the chance to have Warner over the proven Not Good Enough For The NFL Lindley. The results certainly proved BA and Keim wrong as they wasted away a legit and potential Super Bowl season.

46. By Darren Urban on Jan 10, 2015 | Reply

Jon —

RE: Warner

One more time: Warner couldn’t have played.

47. By Jacob Hewitt on Jan 10, 2015 | Reply

is this good or bad keaperNick in az next year

48. By william mccoy on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

So than Drew and Ryan belong at the camp too!

49. By Gary on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

Emotional bickering aside, a few facts remain

The 49rs are a team in dismantle mode, the coach is leaving, many key players are up for free agency and whoever remains int he team will face a long ‘rebuilding’ period

Arizona has a great coach, solid offensive line, decent defense and some real holes in the QB position when it comes to durability and scrambling

I hope that Colin enjoys his time in Arizona, learns a lot from Warner and gets an opportunity to spend a lot more time here

50. By Jon on Jan 13, 2015 | Reply

I know this won’t be appreciated by the Cards hierarchy and Mr. Urban, but whether or not Warner could have come back was not really explored and examined and concluded by the NFL since the Cards neglected to direct any such request to the NFL as referenced by PFT. By the Cards failing to perform their due diligence towards winning a Super Bowl, they missed and struck out on a situation That could have had the potential of generating tremendous buzz and interest within the entire sports world, as well as add to the latest feel good and Rocky type come back story to the Kurt Warner Legacy and Cards Legends and Lore.

As the Concussion, Ray Rice, drug testing and the many other issues facing the NFL have proved, there is nothing final until the NFL issues a final ruling.

BTW, if the Cards want Warner to help in developing Thomas, all they need to do is ask, just like the 49ers and Kaepernick did. But with that underlying arrogance towards Warner by Keim and BA, that will never happen.

51. By Dan on Jan 18, 2015 | Reply

Nobody said anything about the 49ers asking Warner to coach their QB.

2. Jan 8, 2015: Arizona Cardinals news 1/8: Warner helping Kaepernick, Hall of Fame chances, Dockett’s future | nflfans247.net