Fitz, his contract and the Super Bowl firing line

Posted by Darren Urban on January 8, 2015 – 1:08 pm

The “deadline,” such that it is, comes on the fifth day of the NFL’s league year — which begins March 10 at 2 p.m. Arizona time. That’s when, if Larry Fitzgerald is still on the Cardinals’ roster and still has his current contract in place, he is owed $8 million. That’s the real date at which everyone is focused to see what happens with the wide receiver and whether he stays with the Cardinals and if so, what kind of contract he has.

GM Steve Keim has long acknowledged he has had ongoing discussions with Fitzgerald’s agent about redoing the contract and fixing that bloated $23.6 million salary cap number Fitz carries with him. There have been a couple of reports out there that the conversations toward a new deal have been positive. That’s good, although as we all know, something like this isn’t done until it’s done, and just because someone hasn’t hung up on someone else doesn’t guarantee anything.

Still, you start to think about that March deadline, and one other potentially artificial one: Super Bowl week.

Fitzgerald is usually a regular on radio row at Super Bowl week. Whether it’s for the company EAS or someone else for which he might be a spokesman, that’s the week where the sponsors want to capitalize on having the big name doing their work. When Fitz does a bunch of TV and radio interviews heading into the NFL’s biggest game, he’s answering a lot of questions.

And while Fitz always handles himself and his answers like a pro — he’s really, really good at that part of his job — it’s not always his favorite thing to talk about the more controversial of subjects (like, in years past, the chaotic quarterback situation with the Cardinals.) So what happens when he sits down for interview after interview and the first (and probably not the only) question he is asked is about whether he’ll be a Cardinal? His contract situation, which I know he’d rather not talk about, could end up taking up the entire segment.

(Except for the one EAS question at the very end, right?)

I’m not saying anything is going to get done with the Cardinals and Fitzgerald by Super Bowl week — to me, the only thing that would be done that quickly would be a way to keep him in Arizona, because a trade can’t happen until March 10 and they aren’t releasing him at that point — just because he’ll be doing some interviews. But it’s something to think about.

FitzTalkBlog

Tags: , ,

62 Responses to “Fitz, his contract and the Super Bowl firing line”

1. By Dynosoar on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

He stayed through Darren Anderson and company, he’ll stay. Keim can make the next season work with the bloated cap number, it’s what he does best.

2. By Mark on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

Sign him to a 4 year deal, $6 million a year and give him a big signing bonus to thank him for sacrificing for the Cardinals over the years to get more players here, and give him more incentives based on performance so he can earn more money without affecting the cap. He deserves it. He is a leader on this team. Dockett is next. We need him, his leadership and his abilities. He needs a 3 year deal. There is no one out there to sign that we can afford and we know what he can do. GO CARDS!!

3. By D on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

I think you’ll get a sense of where the discussions go by waiting for his father to start bumping his gums…he always has 2 cents to say about Jr. The interesting thing here is everyone wants Larry to stay, but we all know he doesn’t like the H. Ward position and his additional blocking duties…but listening to BA I don’t see him changing Larry’s role…

4. By D on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

Darren–

If you were AZ’s GM this spring and could sign one of the following free agent running backs for the Cards, who do you sign:
    1-Frank Gore
    2- R. Matthews
    3-M. Ingram

(I would be tempted to sign Gore on a 2yr deal to contribute during this C. Palmer window)

5. By Darren Urban on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

D —

RE: RBs

If those were my choices, I’d lean Ingram.

6. By NJAzCardsFan on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

It’s a Wonderful Life- Cardinals version…..

The Cards this year have been given an unique opportunity.. They have been gifted to see what it is like to play without their key players due to all of the injuries:

Dockett- lost the whole year and how his replacements would fair
    Fitzgerald- Lost for only two games but it was apparent the defense suffered because the DB’s didn’t have to worry about Fitz.
    Palmer- It goes without saying Palmer is the Offense and life without him indicates the Cards would be mediocre at best.
    Stanton- Is a worthy backup QB and filled in admirably until he got hurt.
    Lindley and Thomas- Next man up! The Cards need to draft a real QB for the future instead of a “project”.
    Abraham- I doubt he will return and the Cards need a real pass rusher.
    Shaunessy- Is a key member of the defense.
    Zastudil- Hard to find a replacement. Butler failed at the end.
    Ellington- He didn’t look the same as last year. Williams may have a future. Grice showed promise, but the Cards need another RB. I didn’t think Hughes was bad but he wasn’t used that much. The offense did suffer without him.
    Washington- He was a big loss to the defense. Minter needs improvement or they need to find another ILB.

It should give Kiem an easier look, on how to proceed with the roster next year, since he has seen what it is to be without the Cards key players. And… who needs be drafted or replaced. This years Cards draft class had to play whether they were ready or not due to the all of the injuries. The plus side of this, is they all have a years experience now.

7. By Andy Kw on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

This is what I expect:
    -Players with expired contracts released: QB Ryan Lindley, RB Jonathan Dwyer, TE Rob Housler, OG Paul Fanaika, OT Bradley Sowell, NT Dan Williams, OLB John Abraham, OLB Marcus Benard, ILB Larry Foote
    -Players that need to be cut:
    -RB Marion Grice, WR Ted Ginn Jr, OLB Lorenzo Alexander, ILB Kenny Demens, S Chris Clemons, P Drew Butler

Resign: DT Tommy Kelly, NT Alameda Ta’amu, OLB Sam Acho, CB Antonio Cromartie, LS Mike Leach
    Restructure Contracts: WR L. Fitzgerald, DT Darnell Dockett, ILB D. Washington

Players to target/consider in FA:
    QB: Rex Grossman (FA)
    RB: Roy Helu (WAS), RB Fozzy Whittaker (CAR), RB Matt Asiata (MIN),
    TE: Tony Moeaki (SEA)
    OG: Orlando Franklin(DEN), Dan Connolly (NE)
    OT: Eric Winston (CIN)
    OLB: Brian Orakpo (WAS), Arthur Moats (PIT),
    ILB: Colin McCarthy (TEN), Michael Morgan (SEA, convert from OLB to ILB) Brandon Spikes (BUF), Rey Maulauga (CIN)

(OLB Michael Morgan’s 4.3 speed at 6-3 226lbs is critical towards covering TEs, he just needs to gain 10lbs of muscle and he is an ideal ILB)

(RB Roy Helu has bulk to run inside and has the speed to run outside. He has great catch ability. He is a bigger bulker version of our very own Andre Ellington)
    (We need a long term RG and Watford has disappointed. Orlando Franklin from Denver is the guy that can stabilize our OL. Larsen will be our valuable backup)
    (Eric Winston shall return as our backup. He is an upgrade over Sowell)
    (We need another veteran to learn our system if a QB debacle of injuries returns in 2015 and Rex Grossman should be the guy)
    (Tony Moeaki has speed and should be relatively cheap. Can block and catch)
    (Arthur Moats has the speed to be a nice OLB and should be good against the run, he shouldn’t be expensive)

Once we resolve the Fitzgerald, Dockett, and Washington contract issues, we should do these deals:
    Break the bank on OG Orlando Franklin from DEN (5yr $33M)
    Take a gamble on ILB Colin McCarthy from TEN (3yr $12M)
    Sign young guy OLB Michael Morgan from SEA (2yr $2.5M) and convert to ILB
    Sign RB Roy Helu from WAS (2yr $5M)
    Sign OLB Arthur Moats from PIT (3yr $7M)
    Sign TE Tony Moeaki from SEA, QB Rex Grossman & OT Eric Winston from CIN to cheap 1yr deals.

8. By Scott H on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

D / Darren –

VERY much agreed – Ingram! We need a big guy like him, period. He is still young and has low miles on the odometer from being with the Saints, where they throw the ball a lot and have always used a committee in the offensive backfield. He started to come on in the post-season last year and played the best he has this season. Seems like a perfect time to get him here!

9. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

Darren and D,

I would agree, Ingram would be my choice also. Younger, less tread on the tires and would fit as a nice compliment to Ellington.

10. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

Fitz trade;

Will anyone trade for him? Let’s be honest, unless a team believes AZs bluff of carrying the 23 million cap hit, why would they give up a draft pick for someone who will be released anyways?

Look at Palmer. We knew he was being released and gave up two 7s for him. Is that what we could expect for Fitz or do you think someone would give a second day pick for him?

(BTW – Before people start hating, this has nothing to do with Fitz’s value or talent. He is still a top talent. It only has to do with the situation AZ is in and should a team wait it out till he is released)

11. By Darren Urban on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Trade

No, I don’t think anyone would trade for him, unless he agreed ahead of time to re-do his deal.

12. By Scott H on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

Geez, I’m about Fitz-ed out at this point. I’ve said all I can say. I hope both sides work it out and he stays here. I commented recently about how it was bittersweet to watch Aeneas Williams go to St Louis late in his career and help the Rams win a SB. He deserved it and I was happy for him. But Williams HAD to go somewhere else if a SB was what he wanted. It was NOT gonna happen with the Cardinals. He knew it. We all knew it.

But Fitz’ situation is different. With Carson Palmer back, healthy, and picking up where he left off, the pieces are in place for the Cardinals to be a SB contender. NOW. I can only hope Fitz looks at it the same way and has that same focus. His being here makes them MORE of a SB contender!

I would be absolutely OVER THE FRIGGIN MOON if the Cardinals won a SB in the next couple of years. But, honestly, it would lose something ( for me ) if it happened and Fitz were somewhere else.

13. By BigAl on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

By D
    I got to say it D I totally agree w/u…All this year 2014…even when we had Carson in there…I been scratchin my head, even discussed it w/my neighbors to get their take…it wasn’t until I actually heard one of the network analysts…might have been Phil Simms or C. Collinsworth who pointed out the Hines Ward role…at that moment my jaw dropped as yes that is it! We all know Larry got dinged up this past year, hip then knee… we all saw it happen…And Larry, like H Ward is a team player…but other than great hands catchers of the ball, (and great route runners) that’s about where the similarities end! Larry is actually a good field blocker but he does not have the low center of gravity like a H Ward or an Anquan Boldin…For me, for Larry to be used some 70 something percent of the time in this capacity is a total WASTE of his talent! That is a job more suited to Robert Hughes, who wasn’t used enough…

(With the neighbors) We didn’t like to say it…even think it, but it arose, “is this a way to keep the #’s, the FA bidders offers lower?” ie. “yeah, looks like age is creeping up on another great receiver” as I said, hate to say it but…

This is not the way to utilize #11 effectively!
    I like BA but, I believe in a coach who try’s to build the system around the talent
    level of the players…not make/force the players to fit into my system…ie. square peg, into round hole…
    I believe that the salary Cap #’s could/can all be worked out…however, I also believe Larry has “hinted” that he is unhappy in this role…(and he should be…
    for all he’s done, for all his hard work, for always being positive & the best of
    franchise examples…I could go on & on) Sorry to say it also, but Michael Floyd
    will never reach Larry’s level…it just aint there! Floyd is a WR 2 & not a WR1.

And Yes, its a business…but BA needs to change how he is using Larry…If that don’t get negotiated…then remember where you heard it! Next year when Larry is lighting it up in New England Patriots uniform, or maybe even a Seahawks!!!
    Sorry so long, but this has been brewing!

14. By JohnnyBluenose on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

@Dynosoar…do you mean “he stayed through darren URBAN and company” or do you mean “he stayed through DEREK anderson and company”? or was that a freudian slip? just asking.

15. By JohnnyBluenose on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

I would expect Fitz to seriously look around. He has a diminished role here and the NFC West will be no easier for our Cardinals in 2015. Fitz wants to be a big part of an offense and he wants to win. I have no idea what kind of cap space exists in Seattle but if Fitz wants to go elsewhere, would Seattle not be the perfect landing spot? I’m not saying I would be happy about it. I’m just looking at the situation and speculating. Does anyone else care to assume Fitz is playing elsewhere next year and want to offer a suitable match for him to go to?

16. By rod on Jan 8, 2015 | Reply

I like Eddie Goldman in round one. I see him as a potential Warren Sapp type player.

17. By D on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

Darren and JTDG

Larry has all of the leverage. The leverage not to take a pay cut, the leverage on veto a trade, making the Cards release him, which would be the thing we would do since you know Seattle would sign him and it would be hell for the next 2-3 yrs with him up there.

Larry knows wherever he plays in 2015 and beyond will be for less money, I would think if he doesn’t like his role in the offense here, why wouldn’t he agree with Keim to trade him to the Patriots with a new contract that Belicheck would gladly create for him? He would have a chance to win and go to a Superbowl and he would help AZ by giving relief to the Cap and not playing in the NFC West.

Andy KW–I like most of your points, although I don’t see them adding another veteran QB. BA loves the current 3 on roster. I do like your FA agent choices…

I would like one of the following in free agency

RB–Ingram or Helu
    TE– Moeaki or Green (Denver)
    OLB–Orakpo or Moats
    ILB–McCarthy or J. Durant (Dallas)
    G– Franklin or Boling. (must needed upgrade)

Agree with your restructures (Dockett, Fitz and Washington and release/cut players. I think if they resign Kelly and Ta’amu then they can replace D. Wiliams with a draft pick (he was only playing 18-25 snaps a game) I am guessing L. Foote will retire.

18. By D on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

I meant the last thing AZ will do will release Fitz.

19. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

Fitz prove his continued value when we lost 2 in his absence … but we lost after his return as well. Doubt Keim will get “Parker’ed”, too smart. In the end, if Fitz wants to be here, he’ll take a lot less (not just restructure) to play ball with C. Palmer on next SB run. Parker won’t call the final shot … my call? No idea what’s in Fitz’ heart, but he’s likely already decided. That said, if NE and Brady get in the sweepstakes, he’s gone…

20. By Big Ken on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

I think teams would want to trade for Fitz to lock up his rights. If he is cut it’s more difficult to real him in on the open market. Fitz is still a hot commodity, more so than Carson was a couple of years ago. This trade would take place all because of a stalemate in negotiations.

21. By Darren Urban on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

Big Ken —

RE: Fitz/hot commodity

There might be multiple teams that want him, but would Fitz want it?

I mean, Fitz probably wouldn’t mind playing with Aaron Rodgers, but they don’t need him. He’d get paid less/get fewer passes there than here (plus it’s Green Bay).

Patriots are the only place with a high-level QB that makes sense to me, actually.

22. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

So, let’s say the Patriots work out a restructuring, what would you expect in return for that trade? 6th or 7th rounder?

23. By Darren Urban on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Fitz

Honestly, I’d think you could get a fourth. But that’s about it.

24. By Big Ken on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

Fitz for a fourth? I’m ok with that. But you don’t see him sign with say Jacksonville if they threw a bunch of cash at him?

25. By Darren Urban on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

Big Ken —

RE: Jacksonville

I don’t believe this will be about money at this point in his career. He’s not going to Jacksonville and playing with Blake Bortles.

26. By Dave Kirsch aka A.M.Bush on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

I feel we will work a deal that will keep Fitz here. I agree we need a hard-hitting RB, who I don’t know. You can target certain players but it doesn’t mean we can out-bid other teams, nor can we control where a player would rather play. As far as bringing in Grossman is concerned, he won’t play behind Palmer and Palmer won’t play 2nd fiddle to Grossman. Let Washington go, he is trouble and wasted money. Doesn’t he have an issue yet to be addressed by the league on a domestic violence problem? If we keep DW we might-as-well bring in Ray Rice. Dockett is a keeper, I would hate to lose his presence. Abraham is done. We do need to address the LB position The OL can always use depth, as can the DL.

I will revisit “this” issue. We need to wrap-up when tackling. How many times did we see players going after the ball 1st and miss the target? How many times did we see players trying to hit the offensive player instead of “Wrapping-Them-Up”? (Example) – Peterson attempts the strip in the Seattle game and #26 turns his back to the ball-carrier in an attempt to push him out of bounds… Result TD for Seattle. To quote Charlie Brown “Argh!”.

27. By Andy Kw on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Do you think OLB Michael Morgan (SEA) is a potential FA signee? He can convert to ILB and get a little bigger. His 4.3 speed is so fast.

28. By Darren Urban on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: Morgan

Don’t know enough about him.

29. By BigAl on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

Potential landing spots who might LOVE to have # 11, Fitz…

Top teir…how about 1. New England (Scary to consider) 2. Seattle (also scary) &
    what about putting Larry opposite TY Hilton…you think Andrew Luck would love some of that? And w/those two TE’s they have? 3. Indi. Would be a perfect fit!
    And talk about potential for #’s…When was the last time Larry played on a team that average game points scored, was 28.6/game? Indi has been in playoffs all 3 of Andrew Luck’s season’s & are only a few players away…potential? (Scary!)
    Not to mention weak division…Perfect fit!

Then there are 2nd teir teams like New Orleans, St. Louis. (stretch because Bradford has not stayed healthy…) K,C. needs a big time WR terribly! San Diego
    is a possibility…And Crabtree might be out in S.F. which could pair Larry back up with his former brother… Anquan! We know that potential!

So yeah, I think there is MORE than a few! But that’s just off the top of my head…
    Lose Larry…& lose again & again & again…

30. By Darren Urban on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

Big Al —

RE: Fitz spots

Wht would Indy want him with Reggie Wayne already there?

I could see Seattle, but again, it’s a run first offense. Is he OK with that?

If you are going to leave, you’re not leaving to catch passes from Kaepernick or Alex Smith IMO. Not enough passing to get it done.

31. By D on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

You know the Patriots do have 2 # 4th round picks this draft from the Logan Makins trade…

32. By clssylssy on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

I honestly hope Fitz looks out for Fitz and, at this point, I could see him retiring rather than being with a team that doesn’t value his skills, leadership and loyalty. It’s really not about the money but being happy in your job, being respected, and attaining the goals you set for yourself, which, I don’t believe will happen here with the Cards. I think he would fit real good with the Seahawks, Patriots, even the Ravens or Steelers. I too am tired of this Fitz Cap/Contract/conversation and could see him joining Warner and other professionals doing the EXOS thing, or even opening a similar facility of his own.
    You may not see it Darren, but there really are other teams out there with elite QBs, where he could stand a chance of getting a ring, and where he has friends and fans. He deserves better than getting thrown under the bus. Time to say, “NO MORE”!

33. By Darren Urban on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Fitz

Who, pray tell, is throwing Fitz under the bus?

34. By Coach K on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

REMEMBER THIS NAME COME DRAFT TIME: SEAN MANNION

6’5″, 228 lbs. with a rifle arm. Can make all the throws. Compared to Matt Ryan

This is the quarterback the Cardinals have been watching for two years. Don’t be surprised if you hear the name Sean Mannion in Round one.

Remember this post everyone, and I’ll say…I told you so.

35. By BigAl on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

Darren

RE: Fitz spots
    “Wht would Indy want him with Reggie Wayne already there?”

Re – INDI & Reggie Wayne…is very close to done, in fact, if they lose on Sunday,
    we may soon hear of his retirement! He has been progressively injured the last couple seasons…he missed over half the season last year, & he will be 37 next year! Larry, will be 32 next August I believe? That’s What!

As for Kaepernick…I realize to most of us it appears he has regressed…however,
    if you look @ his 3 years #’s since starting, his Comp% in 2012 was 62.39…in 2013 it was 58.41 & 60.46 this past 2014…which is a head scratcher? And while not Carson Palmer #’s its still a lot better than any of our back ups! I realize also
    they are going thru a regime change, the point of interest was that there’s still a lot
    strong parts there as a whole, ie “3rd & Boldin!” And finally, what about/what is the Deal with Kurt Warner going there to help Colin Kaepernick??? What’s up w/that? And why didn’t we have Kurt coming here to help out our back-ups?

I love Kurt! But I feel Betrayed? Have we learned more about this?

And as for KC…They simply have a HUGE need! For a team on the fringe of playoffs…

36. By Scott H on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

I can only see the fact that the two sides are apparently talking NOW – well in advance of any real deadlines – as nothing but a good thing. It doesn’t guarantee anything but….it sure better than one or both sides having no interest. I think if EITHER side were intent on making a change, they wouldn’t be talking about a future together.

The Cardinals and Fitz have come so far together. Would be a shame for them to part ways now…..

37. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 9, 2015 | Reply

4th ? Wow. That would be entertaining.

Truth is, Floyd fits the “Hines Ward” role better. He is a good blocker and is a big body to catch intermediate balls.

John Brown is capable of taking over the #2 role in the same fashion of TY Hilton.

Jaron Brown and/or a draft pick could compete for that 3rd spot.

but we love Fitz and it would be tough to say goodbye.

38. By Dr. G. on Jan 10, 2015 | Reply

Darren…jtdg… Re: Franchise Face Fitz

Only a couple teams may want to seek a deal, and it will not be for a king’s ransom. It has been written here for a couple years now that Fitz holds the cards, when in actuality, that seems not so going forward. He must relent to reasonableness if he wants to stay put.

As I wrote prior, good advice would be for him to take the cut; then choose a team that may want him for the style he wants to play. He accepted the role to block and run short routes, but he sees his value otherwise. Why would a team give a pick when it can become obvious which teams Fitz may choose…?subliminally…without tampering… Any pick? I don’t see it…later

39. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Jan 10, 2015 | Reply

So, if Todd goes, do we hire LeBeau as DC?

40. By Louisville Card on Jan 10, 2015 | Reply

Hi Darren,

What’s your over under on answering Fitz questions before something breaks I’m thinking 500 just on this site…my guess is he’ll go to Minnesota…

41. By Chuck 1 on Jan 10, 2015 | Reply

If I were a GM and I wanted a DC for a HC, I would choose the ‘Hawks DC over Bowles.

42. By superbowlcards on Jan 11, 2015 | Reply

Andykw
    Grossman as a backup QB? No way no how, sorry have to isagree, that is crazy, Logan Thomas is our 3rd string QB who will only continue to learn from Carson Palmer, plus he has only been on the team for 1 year, and he was a rookie at that, why is everyone wanting to write off Logan Thomas so fast, if nothing else he is a special athlete who can help the Cardinals with his legs if not his arm! Lindley was with the team for 2 years and given the chance to develop, I dont remember anyone complaining about getting rid of Lindley after just 1 year, why is it that Thomas shouldnt get a chance to develop.
    As far as trading Fitz, there is not a team out there that is going to trade for him and his $23 million contract, he is not worth anywhere near that much money, he has had a couple of mediocre seasons, not exactly a spring chicken either, I have a man crush on Fitz, want nothing more than for him to spend the rest of his career with the Cardinals, but not with the contract he has now, or anywhere near the numbers in that contract!!! Needs a contract that gives him something south of $10 million a year, say $7mill, but sign him for like 4 years at that salary, and load it with performance incentives, but he just cant remain a Cardinal with his current whacked out contract, there are maybe 3 or 4 players in the whole NFL that I would keep on my roster at that kind of money, and really not a single player is worth that much, but I would keep someone like JJ Watt because he is producing, or Tom Brady, I cant think of a single WR who I would keep for that much money.

43. By clssylssy on Jan 11, 2015 | Reply

DTL…
    Dick LeBeau is seventy-seven years old and has his own “coaching tree”. My guess is that he’ll retire, but,I doubt that BA would want to bring him aboard as he is wanting to start his own “coaching tree” (*humble brag?) or so he said in a recent interview about Bowles.
    After watching the playoff games yesterday, our defense has miles to go to get up to speed so that it doesn’t sputter and choke before the game is over. The Cards need to start making these players compete for their jobs and there needs to be accountability at every position (as well as with the coaching staff).

44. By D on Jan 11, 2015 | Reply

If Bowles leaves I would try to get the SF D Coordinator. Maybe sign Brooks as one pass rusher this offseason when he becomes a cap casualty

45. By Andy Kw on Jan 11, 2015 | Reply

superbowlcards—
    I said to sign Rex Grossman in case Palmer and Stanton go down again. Bruce Arians might still think he is too raw and so it would be wise for the Cardinals to have another vet QB learn Arians’ system. I’m not giving up on Logan Thomas, im just saying having a true vet QB learn our system would be nice because the Lindley option did not work well for us as you can tell. Arians’ might still believe he is too raw of a QB to put in the game. We don’t have to keep Grossman in the 53 man roster. We just need him to know the system and have him ready in case these injuries come back to haunt us again.

46. By Andy Kw on Jan 11, 2015 | Reply

I look forward to Deone Buccannon’s breakout season. I want him to fully embrace the SS position, has potential to play at a higher level than Kam Chancellor and former Cardinal Adrian Wilson. No more linebacker but 100% Strong Safety. He started his first season as a Cardinal on a high note, he is a powerful tackler and once the Cards evoke his elite coverage abilities, he will be the greatest SS of all time. He can only get better from here.

47. By Michael on Jan 11, 2015 | Reply

@DARREN. Am i the only one that thinks the cardinals could use a fresh new look? Like maybe new unis? Let me know n thanks.)

48. By Darren Urban on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

Michael —

RE: Uniforms

The uniforms aren’t changing. In fact, the current uniforms are only 10 years old.

49. By Coach K on Jan 11, 2015 | Reply

Last time.

Remember this name next draft… Sea Mannion

Nuff said.

50. By Scott H on Jan 11, 2015 | Reply

For what it’s worth, I heard on NFL Network this AM that the two guys who have clearly distanced themselves from all other candidates for the Jets HC position are Todd Bowles and the Seahawks D coordinator.

For my own selfish reasons, I would have to say….if I’m a Jets fan, don’t I want the guy who is coordinating the defense for the most dominant defensive team in the NFL right now, which would be the Seahawks??? The answer would be HELL, YEAH!

Again, I’m being selfish because I want Bowles to stay here. Actually, I want Bowles to stay here AND I want the Seahawks D coordinator to go somewhere else! That would be a nice win-win. Would be even better if he could take a bunch of his players with him ( and maybe some will go ).

The Cardinals D did a considerable fade during the last month or so of the season. NOT Bowles’ fault, he just ran out of players AND the disaster that our offense had become was putting too much pressure on the defense. The Seahawks, on the other hand, really hit the gas around that same time and they are still accelerating. I HAVE to think the Jets would see THEIR guy as a better choice than OUR guy.

And that would be just fine with me!

GO PACKERS! AND GO COLTS!

51. By much.faster on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

just curious, but what happens with the cap space, if fitzgerald retires?

he will be 32 at the beginning of the next season.

52. By Darren Urban on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

Much —

RE: Fitz retires

It’d be as if the Cards released him. Still have to account for dead money.

53. By clssylssy on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

After watching the playoff games this weekend, it became even more obvious that the Cards are going to have to change a lot of things to even have a .500 season next year with St.Louis emerging in much the same way we did last year. Even with all the changes they are undergoing the 9ers always manage to pull their act together enough to be taken seriously because they are the 9ers and have a legacy to live up to, and, the Champs are, well, they are the Champs and look as if they will be for some time to come. With numerous changes we will undergo if we lose Bowles and others, we are likely to again find ourselves at the bottom of the NFC West trying to “rebuild”.
    In the two years since “the purge” we have enjoyed some success but some major issues continue to drag us down as chronic and only patched for the short-term. The QB carousel of multiple injured QBs, the 0-line, D-line, Punter,,,basically, the lack of attention paid to the health and history of players signed and their ability to stay healthy enough to finish the (post)season. Of course, injuries are going to happen but the Cards have a reputation for signing the recycled and repaired that other teams didn’t feel had enough good miles left, on the gamble that we’d squeeze out what was left, a gamble that we lost big this year. This regime is no better than the last when it comes to drafting and as I was watching O’Brien Scofield and Greg Toler, I was once again struck with the fact that players seem to succeed once they are out of our franchise, and have to wonder if that is the difference in franchises they are playing in, or the fact that they now feel that their efforts are appreciated and have taken on new meaning. It seems staying with the Cardinals has been a career killer for Fitz and perhaps, he too, would not be “declining” if he were to go to a different coach and a different franchise, As much as I would hate to see the Cards lose him, it doesn’t seem they know what to do with him either, “Throwing him under the bus?”…Yeah, I guess I see it that way when the Cards refuse to acknowledge the fact that they have screwed up managing their resources and now are trying to hang their short comings on Fitz and the cap number they created.

54. By D on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

Sure is looking like Bowles with get the Falcons job…

55. By Joe C. on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

Is there a minimum the Cardinals have to commit to Fitz? i.e. Do they have to give him the $23M just over more years? Or if he’s willing can they just replace the existing contract with whatever is mutually agreeable? What does he get from the Cards if they cut him before the bonus? They might as well pay him the dead salary he’ll count if they cut him as a starting point. I assume he’s worth that. Lot’s of questions, bottom line, what is the starting point the Cards are looking at?

56. By Darren Urban on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

Joe C —

RE: minimum

There are no set rules, although he’s not all of a sudden going to accept a $2 million-a-year deal or something like that.

I don’t know where the Cardinals are looking to start at. Maybe $8M a year? $10M?

57. By superbowlcards on Jan 13, 2015 | Reply

All
    Does everyone subscribe to the theory that a team builds a winner through free agency?? See alot of suggestions to sign this big name veteran or that big name veteran, just curious on which theory Cardinal fanatics align with.
    I have always been in the draft builds winning teams, you build through the draft, and patch and fill holes via free agency, also much cheaper doing it this way, but a balance of both seems to be the best route to success.

AndyKw,
    Sorry, I misinterpreted your post on Grossman, I read it as either the Cardinals would carry 4 QB’s (not going to happen) or they would carry Grossman as #3 and cut Thomas (not going to happen either, at least I wouldn’t think so, here’s why I say that…Cutting Thomas after only 1 season says to the world the Cardinals and staff are giving up after only 1 year, which if he were a 7th rounder or an Undrafted rookie fee agent that wouldnt be an issue, teams do that all the time, looking to catch QB lightning in a bottle for next to nothing, ala…Tom Brady. As well, very few rookie QB’s are ready to step in from day one and steal the show, unless they are first round selections, then they are expected to be “the man”. As a fourth rounder, obviously someone saw good potential in Thomas, and it wasnt just Arians and company, Logan’s stock started to soar prior to the draft after he had completed a few private workouts, I think if Arizona passed on him in the 4th he would have been off the board before we picked again. One other point, if SK&BA take to many “flyers” in the 4th round and they give up on them to early or they just dont pan out, it will eventually cost them their jobs, cant afford to many misses in rounds 1-5. Also, I would think Grossman wouldnt be interested in signing with a team knowing that he is just there for the off season and preseason just to learn the system and then be cut, and only be resigned if the Cardinals (or any team for that matter) incur a serious injury to one of their QB’s, plus there is no guarantee that Grossman would even be available to sign midseason, plus he could very well be signed by one of our conference foes (Rams always looking for QB’s) and then he could lay out BA’s schemes to his currents teams defense. But again I apologize, I misunderstood your post for sure.

Clssylssy – Why so negative sir? Your post above sounds as if our Cardinals finished 5-11 not 11-5 and the first team to make the playoff, 10 wins last year, 11 wins and the playoffs this year, all the success this year is despite numerous devistating injuries to key players, if not for all the injuries the Cardinals would have made it through to the Superbowl, we would have won the division and would have been the #1 seed, at worst we would have split the regular season with the Seahawks, and we would have swept the 49ers, your post is sounding like we are going to be drafting in the top 5 for years to come, and claw our way out of the NFC West basement, I just dont see it, if we manage to resign a few of our own free agents, bring in 1 big name veteran free agents, and a few proven veteran free agents to fill roles, as well have a solid draft and we should be (in my opinion” WILL” be) a favorite for the Lombardi Trophy. I hope I just misread your posting, but if I haven’t, I just dont see the gloom and doom that you are describing, Our Cardinals future is very very bright, and if all the injured players come back healthy, and Todd Bowles chooses to stay put, we will be in the middle of the fight for the Superbowl.

58. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 13, 2015 | Reply

Superbowlcards;

“Does everyone subscribe to the theory that a team builds a winner through free agency??”

I believe you build through the draft and here is the proof. But if you are going to land FAs, do it on the defensive side.

Example-

Colts – 9 of the 11 starters were drafted including QB
    Patriots – 10 of the 11 starters were drafted including QB
    Seahawks – 10 of the 11 starters were drafted including QB
    Packers – All 11 starters were drafted including the QB

Every team, drafted the majority of their players and of course, drafted their QB.

How about defense?

Packers – 9 of the 11 were drafted
    Seahawks – 7 of the 11 were drafted
    Patriots – 8 of the 11 were drafted
    Colts – only 3 of the 11 were drafted

The colts had their QB and wanted to rise quickly. so they used FA on defense, where the other 3 teams were more established and built through the draft. Interesting that Seattle lost draft picks to FA, one being Browner who is on the Patriots.

59. By clssylssy on Jan 14, 2015 | Reply

Superbowlcards
    Sorry if I sound negative but I consider myself a realist. I have been a Cards fan since moving here twenty years ago, so have been on hand (and sweating to death most of those years at SunDevil stadium) for the good, bad, and ugly. Yes, we have enjoyed success in the years since we finally got our stadium and started taking the business seriously, however, we continue to have some of the glaring problems that have plagued us. While the last two seasons have been great (always more fun winning games), records are a little like scores in that the thrill tends to fade with time and the memory forgotten, whereas Championships are remembered with concrete evidence. It’s the difference between having a memorable season (11-5 or 10-6) and a magical season (9-7,10-6) of actually winning Division and Conference Championships and getting into the Big Dance; I’ll take the latter!
    I believe in building through the draft but at the same time believe in the value of having iconic and accomplished veterans to add stability and mentor young players on the team as well as adding a degree of “curb appeal” for ticket buyers.
    Unfortunately, with success also comes the coaching/staff/player lotto that arises from high demand for what we’ve built so everything remains fluid and even contracts are but a formality, and as fans we just have to wait out the damage and hope for the best. So far, Keim has done a lot of patching to achieve immediate results without actually finding real solutions, i.e. we’ve had the flash without the bang!

2. Jan 9, 2015: SuperBowlRentals Fitz, his contract and the Super Bowl firing line
  3. Jan 9, 2015: 1/9 Arizona Cardinals news: Ranking wins, seasons and preparing for the offseason | nflfans247.net
  4. Jan 13, 2015: Cardinals Blogs | Fitzgerald: “Hopefully we can get something done”