Bowles, the Falcons and LeBeau availability

Posted by Darren Urban on January 12, 2015 – 9:50 am

Rex Ryan is the Bills coach, the Seahawks are favorites to return to the Super Bowl (and thus extend their season another three weeks) and now is the time when teams without head coaches begin to get a little antsy when it comes to their coaching vacancies. So it’s probably no surprise that, with Ryan choosing Buffalo, Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles has reportedly become the front-runner for the opening to coach the Atlanta Falcons.

Bowles was said to have had a good interview with the Falcons over the weekend. There are ties there to the man now charged to run the football side — Scott Pioli — since Pioli is Bill Parcells’ son-in-law and Bowles coached under Parcells in both Miami and Dallas. More importantly, Bowles is a defensive mind for a team that needs to upgrade on the defensive side. For Bowles, the Falcons’ job would have to be as attractive as any, given the softness of the divison (for now) and the fact he has a quarterback (Matt Ryan) in place. It’s not often you can walk into a head coaching job with a good QB already there; that’s usually why there is an opening in the first place.

We’ll see if that plays out. (The Falcons are not only getting Bowles for a second interview, but so are the Jets.)

But if it does, what then for the Cardinals? Bruce Arians has already said he has a plan in place if Bowles left. That was a plan put together before the startling news this weekend that Dick LeBeau was resigning as defensive coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers, a move that initially sure gave off similar vibes as when the Steelers announced Bruce Arians was “re-fired” once upon a time. (In hindsight, B.A. loves that story.) As soon as the LeBeau story hit, the questions came: If Bowles leaves, does Arians — who worked with LeBeau all those years in Pittsburgh — replace Bowles with LeBeau?

There are a lot of things that go into this. LeBeau made it very clear he was resigning but not retiring. At 77, is LeBeau what Arians wants for his staff (although, obviously with Tom Pratt and Tom Moore, the age itself isn’t an issue). Does the Cards’ personnel fit what LeBeau would want to do? More importantly, how crucial did Arians see his previous moves to fill Bowles’ spot had Bowles’ left? (Was there a promotion coming in-house?)

It would be interesting, however, after how badly former coach Ken Whisenhunt wanted to lure LeBeau to the Cardinals once upon a time (in 2011, back when Ray Horton ended up the choice), if LeBeau finally did make it to the Cards long after Whisenhunt was gone.

First, though, Bowles has to take a job elsewhere, which still isn’t a sure thing.

UPDATE: A report from Pittsburgh says Arians has already spoken to LeBeau about joining the Cardinals.

Todd Bowles

Tags: , , ,

47 Responses to “Bowles, the Falcons and LeBeau availability”

1. By D on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

LeBeau does run a different version of the 3-4 than Bowles, (not as aggressive) I would like to see BA hire (if he can) Vic Fangio, they both worked together with the Colts. SF defense is similar to what Bowles runs…Vic was blocked by his owner when he tried to interview earlier this offseason, he probably wants to leave the zoo up in SF if they don’t promote him…

2. By Andy Kw on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

I think we know Todd Bowles schemes quite well. All he needs are two very good cover corners. I love what Bowles has done for us but I think it is time for a change. I believe he will be hired by the Atlanta Falcons and take our QB coach Freddie Kitchens with him. If this is the case, let’s evaluate our options at DC. Dick LeBeau is definitely one of the hot names right now. He probably left Pittsburgb because with aging guys like Troy Polamalu & James Harrison likely to retire or move on from Pittsburgh that they dont have an identity on defense anymore. We have a talented DB group with a solid DL & LBgroup. The return of Dockett & Washington makes the job even more appealing for him. Brentson Buckner, Mike Caldwell, and Nick Rapone are probably the top in the house candidates for the DC job if Bowles leaves. Should we hire Kurt Warner as our QB Coach if Freddie Kitchens leaves?😀

3. By Tumbleweed on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

I could also see LeBeau reuniting with Whisenhunt in Tennessee

4. By rick on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

Its nice to know that if we lose quality that we would get quality in return. The duo of Keim and Arians is truly a match made in heaven for us Cardinal fans. I can`t wait for the new season already. Can we just fast forward to training camp already? GO CARDS!!!

5. By Travis on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

Andy,
    Not after he works with Kap, that’s dang near treason

6. By Marlin on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

I’m good if Todd stays, good if he goes. Good if LeBeau comes, or he doesn’t. Plenty of good coaches out there. Keim and Arians have proven they know how to hire.

7. By Hammy on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

First off I wish Todd Bowles nothing but the best. It really sounds like the Falcons job is his to lose. I like the idea of LeBeau but his name is not as hot as it use to be. We are so close to becoming an elite team in the NFL. Maybe a couple of pass rushers and nose tackle away from being dominant! hopefully we can get our secondary to step it up a notch. Don’t know about you guys but I would love to see D. Wash back in a Cardinals uniform being a beast on the field for us again! On the offensive side of the ball, we really need a solid go to Tight End and some more power up front. Also I like Andre Ellington but his durability is starting to become a serious question. Time to draft a big, physical running back, a la “Jerome Bettis” type of back!

8. By freeperjim on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

Ben Maller mentioned this scenario yesterday (Sunday) on Fox Sports Radio’s “The Blitz”…and now it’s on the Cards Blog page.

hmmmmm….

9. By clssylssy on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

I have all the respect in the world for what LeBeau has done in his years with the Steelers, and even though he is “tight” with Arians doesn’t mean that Steve Keim shares Arians views. Keim is the guy, after all, who will have the say and, while I could see them possibly adding LeBeau as a defensive consultant in a similar role as Tom Moore, I think Keim will be looking for a younger guy who is more aggressive in his defensive scheme than either LeBeau or even Bowles. This year we have seen what a difference strong and aggressive defenses make in the playoffs and part of the reason LeBeau was rumored to have resigned was because of his differences with Tomlin over wanting to move away from veterans like Troy Polamalu,Ike Taylor, William Gay, James Harrison. The Cards have the oldest coaching staff in the league, and while I believe this large group of football icons, have been invaluable, with rosters getting younger, there could be some value in infusing some younger coaches with new ideas into the group. (How many “cool uncles” do we need?)
    Any outsider the Cards bring in to fill the DC position (if Bowles leaves) will invariably also bring with him his staff of assistants etc creating a period of adjustment for the remaining players and lost time in the learning curve, etc. so, I have a feeling Keim will go inhouse for the sake of continuity, as well as, the “building from within” concept.
    Geez, I hope this isn’t going to spawn another round of Kurt Warner speculations!
    What on earth could the Cards possibly offer him that would be better than what he has going now…unless Michael Bidwill is ready to make him part owner!

10. By Richard H on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

Everyone though we couldn’t replace Horton and we brought in Bowles (who had failed as DC in Philly) and he did an amazing job. Horton left and hasn’t done much outsize of AZ and Bowles may end up being the same. He seems like a good HC candidate for ATL but I believe AZ has the personnel that greatly helps these coordinators out. Fangio or Lebeau would be great hires but I don’t don’t in house coaches could get the job done as well. We will see

11. By Big Ken on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

LeBeau reunited with Wisenhunt in Tenn.? Well Horton’s gonna throw another fit.

12. By Leesters on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

I really doubt Lebeau is an option. Dude is 77 years old. He say’s he’s retired. And he really should be. lol

13. By Darren Urban on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

Leesters —

RE: Retired

Actually, he specifically said he wasn’t retired.

14. By George on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

I agree with most comments that we have an older staff and we are not being left off with a dynasty coaching staff. But let’s be honest this year would of been that year if it wasn’t for all the injuries and step backs we suffered? LeBeau might bring a huge difference if Bowles happens to leave which he most likely will! The defense is still in the top 10 in the nation with great talent and many young guns for many years to come and some to resign. I’m pretty sure that LeBeau didn’t resigned without a cushing to fall back on? And for dynasty we first have to earn that first superbowl championship. For the last two seasons we have been competitive but we still need some pieces to complete the puzzle and mostly is already complete.

15. By much.faster on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

why not make dick lebeau Assistant Head Coach/Defense?
    and brentson buckner Defensive Coordinator?

16. By jeffgollin on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

The template seems to be (1) a senior board of directors/advisors at the top paired with (2) young eager beavers coaching in the trenches. i couls see LeBeau aligned with graybeards Tom Moore, Arians and Pratt

17. By tyman on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

Replace a great coach with another great coach.
    Thats how to do it BA. Right on.

18. By Mr Robles on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

Darren what would be the Top 3 Priorities right now? Fitzgerald, Bowles, etc You name them

19. By Darren Urban on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

Mr. Robles —

RE: Right now priorities

Assuming Bowles leaves:

1) Fitz
    2) Bowles replacement
    3) Cro

When we get to May, DWash decision jumps high on the list.

20. By D on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

Bowles just got some big competition for the Falcons job…John Fox may help to sell PSL’s a little easier in Hot ATL.

21. By Scott H on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

Look, first of all, I still hope Bowles stays. But that is starting to sound as if hoping for that would be about the same as hoping that Stanton was gonna be back for the playoffs. Hope as I did….never happened.

LeBeau??? Seriously??? Geez, I don’t know if I think that is really cool or if that is just ridiculous.

My lord, the pipeline between Pittsburgh and Arizona just never stops flowing, does it??? Whiz…..Arians…..now Lebeau??? Not to mention the many players that have come through here, none of which really made much of an impact. And, being technical, Arians came here from Indy but his ties to the Steelers are well known, so….he counts. Hey, we’ve had better luck with Steelers coaches, that’s for sure.

Makes ya wonder…..will we be hearing about Cowher coming back to coaching to join the Cardinals in a few years when it’s time to move on from BA??? THAT would not be as far-fetched as Lebeau coming here almost in his 80’s!!!

I suppose they could do worse than Lebeau, but…..despite the LEGEND he has been over the years, has the Steelers D been all that special in recent years? Not really. So….what are we getting here? Am I wrong to wonder if the game has passed Lebeau by at this point? Are players really relating to him anymore? I see players being more able to relate to a Todd Bowles right now than a Dick Lebeau..

Hence, I would rather have Bowles.

Never boring, is it???

22. By Patrick on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

Scott H., are you saying Foote made no impact this season?

23. By Craig on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

I would like to see Bowles go. I believe he hung our DB’s out to dry. To much blitzing and not enough sound defense. Are our guys not good enough to play defense without blitzing every play. Seattle does it and they’re pretty good. Give our DB’s some help and let our guys up front do their thing.

24. By Andy Kw on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

Now Todd Bowles is like crap the Denver Broncos are available, I hope they give me a call.

25. By shannon robinson on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

Speaking of old guys – Thanks for the great story about Coach Tom Pratt, pass rush specialist! He’s my favorite coach and I got to see a bunch more reasons why he’s my number one. It was fun to see him coaching technique and listen to the players talk about that old grainy film he shows of the pass rushing greats he’s coached. Beautiful wife and cute family. Some day I’ll get to meet him. As to Mr. LeBeau, what a coup – let’s get him if we can – Bruce knows better than anybody.

26. By georgiebird on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

I don’t care if Bowles leaves- I don’t feel he’s any better than Horton. They are both pretty good but nothing more.
    But here’s what concerned me this weekend:
    1) Fozzy Whittaker playing well in the return game and spot duty
    2) OB Schofield putting pressure on the passer
    3) Toler playing great coverage
    4) watched a load of corners moving ahead of PP
    4) saw the Seahawks getting better and better
    to summarize- the Cards can’t afford any poor off season moves if they plan on being any better than a wild card team for the foreseeable future.

27. By Scott H on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

Geez, why are we even wondering at this point if Bowles will be back? We’re hearing that he is top candidate for the Falcons and Jets and right on the heels of that, we’re hearing that Lebeau is resigning from the Steelers AND that BA has already had discussions with him about a reunion here in Arizona.

Anyone else feel like they see where this is going???

I do. Not real happy about it, but….sounds to me like Bowles is getting ready to go.

Ya know what? Anyone feel like doing WHATEVER we had to do to get the Seahawks D coordinator to come HERE would be the way to go here??? You could sell me on that a lot quicker than you could sell me on Dick Lebeau.

Hate to say it but I just see the ages of the coaches on our staff becoming a real joke around the NFL next year…..and I say no thanks. I’m not interested in a coaching staff that makes people laugh. I’m more interested in having a defense that shuts people up. And I just don’t feel like Dick Lebeau is the guy who’s gonna make that happen in the year 2015. I think we’re about a decade too late.

28. By georgiebird on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

The Larry situation will take care of itself. Larry has everything from money, HOF, respect and fame.
    He doesn’t have a ring or time on his side. .
    If Larry has a good feeling that the Cards can win it all in the next couple of years, then Larry will find a way to make it work with the Cards. If Larry doesn’t like his chances with the Cards, he will want to strike a deal elsewhere.
    How the Larry situation is resolved will speak volumes to the rest of us.

29. By superbowlcards on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

Lebeau to the Cardinals, or at least the Cardinals making a run at him was an easy call, I posted that on ESPN soon after the article announcing that Tomlin had made yet another stupid decision to get rid of one of his coordinators (Tomlin has a serious ego problem!) of course I wasn’t alone, about 500 others mentioned Arizona (if Bowles gets his well deserved HC jo of course) as a landing spot.
    With the shocker in Denver, Fox out as HC, I think he becomes the instant frontrunner in Atlanta, he is familiar with them and they are familiar with him from his time in Carolina, more importantly, Fox lives in Charlotte in the off-season, which if I remember highschool geography, Atlanta is much closer to Charlotte than Denver! HAHA! (Yeah, I know, not funny idiot!) Putting on my selfish cap, I’m happy Fox is out in Denver, with Bowles having a second interview with the Falcons it was/is looking like we were going to lose him (and still very well may lose him!) but I desperately want Todd Bowles to be the Arizona Cardinals Defensive Coordinator next season (and 3-4 season’s after that as well, but I also know he deserves to be a head coach) there is just no way we can be decimated by that many injuries to key players two years in a row, is there??
    One obstacle with LeBeau coming to Arizona is he may not want to move
    that far away from his home, or drag his family that far, I believe he is from either from Ohio or Pennsylvania, and at his age, with his respected reputation he can afford to be picky! Would not surprise me if he took a defensive Coordinators job with an area college, of course only if he still had the strong itch to continue coaching!!
    Anyone else think that Bowles avoids the Jets job like the plague? ?

30. By superbowlcards on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

AndyKw
    I had to give you a “thumbs down” on you’re initial post (and being a firm believer in the theory that a “thumbs down” deserves an explanation, as well as the fact that I highly respect your postings and most of the time I totally agree with your thoughts)
    What makes you believe “it’s time for a change” especially on defense, I truly believe that TB did more with less, in fact he is a huge reason the Cardinals finished with as good of record as they did, I just dont believe there is another coach in the NFL that could have pulled off what Bowles did, give the massive amount of injuries, as well as losing the #1 duo of ILB’s in the NFL to suspension and free agency, it was Bowles schemes that masked our weaknesses, it was also Bowles who put the rookie Safety on the field as a hybrid linebacker (also a couple of Cardinal fans on this board that suggested after the draft that DB could play some ILB to help fill the holes from the off-season loses) he had played quite a bit of LB in college after all. Seemed like every veteran that SK&BA brought in Bowles inserted a scheme into his defense that made these aging veterans on the backsides of their career thrive and contribute in huge ways to our Cardinals success, granted, the last few games the defense was dominated by their opponents, but I think that was a case of players wearing down, and even some of them throwing in the towel, reading media crap that gave us no chance to make any noise in the playoffs or almost no chance to remain division leaders and #1 seed in NFC, with all the devastating injuries the players that were still heathy enough just started believing the media BS, add in the possibility that they “took their foot off the gas” once they locked down a playoff spot, and the defense didnt look or perform very well at all, with the amount of devistating injuries, the Cardinals didnt look very good at all, but the whole roster and staff overachieved all season long, the “next man up” was successful longer than it should have been, and longer than any other team could have pushed it. If Bowles returns next season, and we resign all our key free agents, everyone is healthy, we should be a top contender for the Lombardi Trophy!!! Without him, I truly believe we finish behind the Seahawks, and maybe even the Rams (just my observation, but if the Rams could put it all together as a team and play to their capabilities, look the hell out, the Rams will be scary!!
    As far as your comment about getting DWash back, I sure hope NOT,
    hopefully SK&BA are done dealing with that knucklehead, if it is cost effective
    efficient, and doesnt cause alot of dead money on our cap, then adios
    DWash!! He needs to pack his bags and hit the road, he has done nothing
    but lie and deceive this franchise and its fans, not once but twice, and that is only counting the drug offenses, not to mention he still has the woman beating case (as far as the NFL punishment phase is concerned) hangin g over his head!
    Fyi…sure you already know this, but LeBeau was fired, or asked to leave/resign by that idiot Tomlin, he did not quit, or turn in his resignation willingly. Buckner is not an option to move up to d-coordinator, he just doesnt have near enough coaching experience yet, I think he is one heck of a motivator, and players respect him (he played the game and is closer in age to the players) but he needs a few more seasons under his belt, and even needs to coach other positions prior to becoming a d-coordinator, or at least ours.
    Ending on a positive…Warner coaching QB’s is an awesome idea, for our beloved Cardinals of course, not other teams, say like, I don’t know…San Francisco, just to throw out a team!!! Of course I’m a tad bitter over that news, thats treason, aiding the enemy!! But after the initial anger I realized, everyone has to start somewhere, and its probably a paying job so the money cant hurt, and Kurt always thrived when it came to mentoring young players, wether they were a QB or not, mentoring/coaching is just in his nature!!
    And finally, just curious, what makes you think Freddie Kitchens would follow Bowles to Atlanta?? (Freddie played college ball at Alabama, but not sure if that is home for him?) You thinking Bowles will make him his O-coordinator? ? (That would be the only reason I could see Freddoe leaving Arizona’s staff.)

31. By superbowlcards on Jan 12, 2015 | Reply

Scott H
    In all fairness, Pittsburgh’s defense is quite frankly getting old as well, the game in some ways may be passing by LeBeau, but there are also some senior citizens on the Steelers defense as well, in the end I don’t think we have to worry either way, LeBeau will be a very difficult hire, I just don’t think he is interested in moving himself, nor his family away from the Pittsburgh area, or at least not this far west, but never say never. As far as players coming from Pittsburgh I have to differ with you on the success of those coming thru the Steelers pipeline… Just recently, Larry Foote, was coming in as a part time rotation player who, before he signed, was contemplating retirement, ended up playing all but 1 or 2 snaps on the whole season, and was the leader of our defense, making all the adjustments on the field. Plus, Rashard Mendenhall was well worth the 1 year contract he signed, no he didnt ccome in and put up gaudy numbers, but he was the power back that was built to punch it in on the goal line, he was directly related to Ellington doing an awesome job for our Cardinals, other defenses couldnt key on Ellington with Mendenhall around, I just wish BA would have had them on the field together more often, also kept Andre from breaking down and getting injured, he is just not the workhorse type of back, Cardinals need a workhorse in the backfield next year, Kerwynn Williams looks like he may be the answer, but I sure hope SK&BA give Todd Gurley/Georgia or Devon Johnson/Marshall a hard look, one if not both should be around in the 2nd round, (I believe we need to target a pass rusher in the 1st!) at the least, it give Williams, and Grice for that matter some competition for the workorse power back we desperately need, Andre can still get 10-15 carry’s as well as key to the passing game, should do just fine in the slot for a few targets a game, with someone else filling the workhorse/between the tackle RB Andre Ellington will thrive, and have his best season yet!! ::DISCLAIMER:: The above assessment of the RB “conundrum” is only my opinion, and I have been wrong before! :O

32. By rod on Jan 13, 2015 | Reply

Bowles is going to the Falcons that’s just way it is. And boy they are going to be a formidable team!

I don’t think he needs to take Kitchens with him unless the Falcons have lost their QB guy.

33. By Cody Zarr on Jan 13, 2015 | Reply

LeBeau would be a fine addition. While I understand this is a “what have you done for me lately” league, you can’t judge the man on the past few years of work alone. The Steelers have not been able to find much talent on the defensive side of the ball, and all the stars they do have are entering the twilight years of their careers.

I would love to see the Fitz situation worked out soon so I can stop stressing about it. I really will abhor seeing that gentleman leave the team if it does happen.

34. By Andy Kw on Jan 13, 2015 | Reply

Superbowlcards,
    Todd Bowles is a really good DC, I’m not saying he isn’t. When I say “it is time for a change”, I’m saying that we blitz a lot and we must have an answer against read option QBs. We did really well against QBs that are not known to be mobile. Todd Bowles schemes fooled and played well against Philip Rivers, Alex Smith, Nick Foles, Eli Manning, Matthew Stafford, Derek Carr, and so many others good and mediocre QBs. But Todd Bowles scheme failed to stop mobile QBs such as Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, and Cam Newton. Our division has 2/3 of those mobile QBs and we play both teams 2 times. Bowles did a great job with less and I agree he is one talented coach we are fortunate to have. The one thing is that with his schemeputs too much pressure on our DBs. In his first year as DC, he provided a nice balance of blitz and cover packages but that soon. If he goes back to his first year form as DC, i am all in support of him not leaving, #1 against the run and #11-16 against the pass in 2013. If Bowles stays, I won’t have a problem with it but I just think a guy like Dick LeBeau with more knowledge and experience can bring more to the table for us. Both are very talanted and I wouldn’t mind if either one of them chooses to remain or become our DC. Daryl Washington is a key and valuable piece to our defense with rare talent. He is like the Luke Kuechly of the Panthers but obviously there is a difference in legal matters.I truly think he changed and if Bowles stays, his scheme will be much more effective with a ILB that has really good pass coverage and run stopping skills.

35. By Scott H on Jan 13, 2015 | Reply

Related to my previous post, I realized I said something that probbaly ended up sounding pretty…less than intelligent ( yeah, hard to believe, I know🙂 ). I suggested we do whatever necessary to get the Seahawks D coordinator to come here, not realizing what I already know which is that a coordinator of one team is not leaving to take the same position with another – not without the permission of his current employer and there is NO WAY in hell the Seahawks are gonna let that happen. So…never mind.

At this point, I am hoping that Fox’s sudden availability may cause the Falcons OR Jets to change their plans.

Geez, do we go thru this every year or does it just seem that way??

36. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 13, 2015 | Reply

Great article on the front page about the QB spot. I couldn’t agree more.

There was a time that I would argue that a great defense can win with a below average QB. And of course the first team you point at is the Ravens in 2000.

But that was 15 years ago and the NFL has evolved into a passing league with rules benefiting the offense. Today, you must have a quality QB.

With that being said, can the cards pass on drafting a QB and rest their hopes for 2016 on Thomas. Would anyone feel confident with Thomas as the starter in 2016?

Yes, Palmer could play in 2016, giving the cards another year to evaluate Thomas, before making a decision in 2016 draft. (which could have a good crop of QBs lead by Conner Cook).

This will be a defining draft for Keim, on taking a QB or letting it ride another year. But maybe that decision is taken from him, meaning, there is no QB worthy the picks he is making.

But I just keep thinking (and I was in complete agreement with Keim on not taking Carr), if he pulled the trigger on Derek Carr instead of Bucannon, our future at QB for the next 10-15 years could be set. (ironically, Keim said if Carr would have fell a little more, he would have taken him in round 2) So maybe you reach a little bit and take a Hundley in round 1. I think if Conner Cook came out, it would be an easy pick. But Hundley is a risk. Or maybe Bryce Petty falls to us in round two, can you pass that up?

It will be interesting come draft.

37. By Scott H on Jan 13, 2015 | Reply

superbowlcards –

My post probably sounded more harsh than it was intended, regarding the “old guys” thing. But I really do wonder if A) the game really has passed Lebeau by and B) if he is a coach that players would really relate to. We may find out, who knows.

Regarding Steelers players that have passed through here….well, Foote is an obvious exception. He was such a God-send for this team this year and I wonder where we would have been w/out him. He became our Karlos Dansby. And Dwyer certainly COULD have been a very nice addition if he hadn’t gotten himself suspended after Week 2.

But who / what else hs there been??? Not much. Mendenhall was here for one season and he was nowhere near the player he was in years prior. I forget names more often these days but there was the O-lineman who came here with nothing left…there was a DB a few years back who seemed like a good addition but he came here and was TERRIBLE ( didn’t he actually go BACK to the Steelers?? )…just seems like most of the guys who came here from there were done either because of age or injuries. The Cardinals were chasing what they WERE and seldom was that what they got.

38. By much.faster on Jan 13, 2015 | Reply

as much as i respect lebeau, with the firing of jim schwartz they should go after him, if they do not take a insider.

schwartz built in buffalo one of the best defenses of the nfl.

39. By Coach K on Jan 13, 2015 | Reply

JTDG

I think everyone needs to take a long, hard look at Sean Mannion, the big QB from Oregon State and made ASU look like a high school team. He was a very good quarterback playing on a team with average talent.

I know everyone likes the big names, but if you do your homework, you will discover Sean Mannion has franchise QB type measurable s. They compare him to Atlanta’s Matt Ryan and I can see why.

Interesting to see your take on Mannion as a round three prospect with big upside.

40. By Scott H on Jan 13, 2015 | Reply

Fanika. Alan Fanika. That was the Steelers O-linemen I was trying to remember.

41. By Daniel C on Jan 13, 2015 | Reply

Bowles has agreed to join the Jets as their HC. He is also set to hire Chan Gailey as his OC. Waiting to hear who is DC will be.

42. By rod on Jan 13, 2015 | Reply

I never thought for a second he would go to the Jets.

I wish him much success…

43. By superbowlcards on Jan 13, 2015 | Reply

Andykw
    I think Bowles blitzed so much and left our DB’S on an island only because he had no choice. I mean he lost one of the top ILB duo’s if not the top duo in the NFL, he also lost the only player who manage double digits in sacks, and Abraham wont be back, our pass rush was putrid most of the season, once Okafor was healthy he came on strong rushing the passer, plus remember, all season without Dockett, so looking back I think Bowles scheme was out of desperation, I do however agree with you, the read option athletic QB’s benefited from TB’s aggressive schemes, which again were out of necessity due to injuries, hopefully all return healthy and then we will see the good ole dominant Cards defense!! Personally I don’t want DWash to ever don a Cardinal uniform again, if he does please dont get to excited if he tokes the devils lettuce one more time he is banned for life, I just dont think he can give it up, he has his priorites wrong, he chooses to hurt his team and throw away millions to smoke a little smoke!! I just dont get it, the crap will be there when he finally retires, just put the crap aside, get back to playing football at the highest level and when you retire you have all the money in the world to smoke your brains out!!

Scott H
    I tend to agree with you that more times than not the Pittsburgh pipeline has not worked out player wise, though in the last few years it has been much better, Mendenhall’s contribution was more than just a power back who could punch it in the red zone, he was a major reason why Ellington had an outstanding season, Andre was able to stay healthy and didnt have to be the workhorse/feature back, he just isnt meant for that, or built to handle the beating, I think if we are lucky enough to be able to draft Gurley or Devon ??? from Marshall (man my memory sucks worse and worse with evey passing year!!!!) we will see Ellington thrive once again, and he will do it with half the carries, and either of those two backs are workhorses and have great potential, it has been way to long since our beloved Cardinals had a feature star running back (remember Ottis Anderson!!) either of the backs I mentioned are very capable of rushing for 1200-1500 next season!! Back to all the Steelers moving west, I tend to agree with you, not much was achieved, I posted that Max Starks was a horrible signing, he was awful in San Diego the year before we signed him, he was a monster at one time, but father time caught up to him, my only point was more recent success, Foote thought he was coming here to be a part time player on a team that he thought may be able to bring home another ring, by his own admission he wasnt planning on playing anywhere near the snaps he did!! I thank the football gods every day that Foote signed with our Cardinals, heck, im thinking another 1 year contract (with a hefty raise of course) for Foote wouldnt hurt anyone, we need an ILB high in the draft, so this would be perfect for Foote to mentor the young guns, and if disaster strikes again and he has to take over the defense then we know he is capable of doing just that.
    Dont know about you, but Im very worried that our defense is going to suffer now that Bowles is the Jets Head Coach, somehow we have to find a d-coordinator that knows Bowles schemes, and is aggressive enough to take chances! LeBeau is among the greatest of all time, but I think he is a tad to conservative, and in our division you just cant afford to be to safe.
    Someone posted that we should hire LeBeau as a consultant, or as an assistant Head coach, and bring in a young aggressive coach as d-coordinator, or maybe promote one of the current coaches on the staff, with LeBeau mentoring him, the more I think about that statement, the more I’m warming up to it. I cant even remember if it was posted on here or another sight, that is freaking sad!!! HAHA!! Sorry so long winded, since it is the off season we usually dont have much to post about, but this should be a busy off season, so may as well yack our jaws as much as possible!!

44. By clssylssy on Jan 14, 2015 | Reply

Scott H.
    I totally agree with you about raising concern over the numbers of older coaches we seem to be gravitating to. I completely respect the value of their experience and wisdom and believe LeBeau would be a valuable asset in a Tom Moore type consultant role however, with age unfortunately comes the issue of health (as we have seen with players) and, would really hope that Keim would start being more forward in his thinking about longer term goals. While he has been applauded for his “genius”,much of what he has done since being here if for the “now,” patching holes with recycled talent on one or two year contracts without any real building. (His drafts haven’t been that impressive.)
    Dick LeBeau is regarded as the “Father of the Modern Defense” and brings big name recognition, but at seventy-seven, I would be concerned that this is another patch job focused more on gaining fan support than taking our defense to the next level. I recently read a quote from Patrick Peterson than “they” knew Bowles was leaving and have to wonder if that sort of deflated our defense towards the end, as he was very much a players coach who knew how to get the most out of the patchjob he was given to work with. Like Harbaugh, it seems he had one foot out the door before the playoffs began. With Bowles being one of the younger coaches on staff, I have to wonder about the wisdom of bringing in a guy twenty-five plus years older? How many players will want to come to play for the Cards and their staff of seniors over going some place more progressive that is infused with energy and more innovative ideas. The Steelers defense the last few years has been antiquated and predictable and they wanted a change to keep up with Todd Haley’s offense. Why not look for somebody youthful
    enough to relate well to younger players, who can build a strong and aggressive defense that will be able to compete in this division and who can be mentored into possibly being a future head coach?
    At this point, I’m just waiting to see who else will be going with Bowles and what we’ll be left after the dust clears. It wouldn’t surprise me if he took a number of our players including Cromartie, D Washington, a some others.

45. By much.faster on Jan 14, 2015 | Reply

bowles in green, i hope for him, that this will play out for good. i doubt, the jets have so much patience, to get a new offense to work.
    but if he can make it work, he will be the next decades in green🙂

and i think, the chance for getting cromartie back are now lower, the jets have a lot of capspace.

d wash? if the jets will pay for him, a second, two third and three fourth draft pics, hey, why not? the team played well without him.

i would like schwartz as a dc, but i doubt, he is available, i think, he is in a package with marrone, bound for atlanta.

that leaves quinn from seattle (if the 49ers aren`t quicker), lebeau (if he comes past nashville) and some insider, maybe buckner.

2. Jan 12, 2015: Dick LeBeau may join Cardinals’ staff – RedZone Sport
  3. Jan 12, 2015: Report: Arizona Cardinals talk to Dick LeBeau regarding their defensive … – Behind the Steel Curtain – RedZone Sport