Cromartie keeping options open

Posted by Darren Urban on January 17, 2015 – 9:53 am

Cardinals cornerback Antonio Cromartie has been a natural go-to guy the last few days to talk about Todd Bowles as the new New York Jets coach, since Cromartie just played for Bowles and since he still has a lot of media relationships with New York media after playing so many years with the Jets. He went on NFL Network to talk about Bowles — and also about his future given his impending free agency.

During his Bowles’ analysis, Cromartie noted “$50 million in cap space” the Jets have to work with. That probably wasn’t a coincidence, especially from a guy who didn’t really want to leave the Jets last year in the first place.

“I’m leaving the door open,” Cromartie said. “Right now, until the Super Bowl is over, I’m still an Arizona Cardinal. Until they come to me about a conteact, I’m still an Arizona Cardinal. Once March 10 at 4 o’clock hits, March 12 at 9 a.m. hits, and no one’s offered me a contract, then I’m free game. And I’m open to anything to go out and try to win a championship and help any organization.”

(Free agency does indeed start March 10 at 2 p.m. Arizona time, which will be 4 p.m. Eastern.)

Cromartie made $3.5 million on a one-year contract this season. He had a good season and is a Pro Bowl alternate. But his signing, and his season, has long played out as a parallel to the one linebacker Karlos Dansby had in 2013 for the Cardinals. Dansby, like Cromartie, signed with the Cardinals for one year when the free agent market did not play out the way they wanted. Dansby, like Cromartie, had a good season (Dansby actually had an excellent season, even better than Cro’s.) But both are on the wrong side of 30 in a league that values youth. There has always been a good chance Cromartie’s situation plays out just like Dansby’s did — I expect the Cardinals to make a solid offer, although it may only be for two or three years. And it’s easy to see another team swooping in to offer more years/more money. The Browns did that with Dansby, and maybe the Jets — or the Bills, who now have Cro’s former coach, Rex Ryan — will do the same with Cromartie.

Cromartie, as he said, is open to everything.

CroBlog

Tags: , , , ,

62 Responses to “Cromartie keeping options open”

1. By Steve on Jan 17, 2015 | Reply

Darren: If the Cards lose Cro as expected how much of a priority will CB be in the draft if they do not add one in free agency?

2. By Darren Urban on Jan 18, 2015 | Reply

Steve —

RE: CB

They’ll want to add one for sure. But with Powers and Bethel, it doesn’t necessarily need to be a starter.

3. By Big Ken on Jan 17, 2015 | Reply

Other options if he goes.

4. By tkm on Jan 17, 2015 | Reply

all about te money,dansby has great year last year set up only because of the defensive scheme,goes to browns,get hurts keeps on getting paid.i thought cro had a much better year than pp,so he will get paid by someone.we do have young d secondary on roster and i think guys like bethel will be a player.you can tell on special teams he wants to drill somebody,not shy away like pp.you can only teach and coach who is on your roster,that’s where the coaches come in.

5. By kauaicardsfan on Jan 17, 2015 | Reply

We knew that once Bowles left alot of things will change, hopefully the next man up will still apply to fill in but it would be another sting for us if Cro left, but on the other side we could see cro flash and at times not jump in to make a solid tackle, probably trying preserve his body for a bigger contract this year? Oh well on things for sure ” change is constant ” in the NFL !

6. By Marlin on Jan 17, 2015 | Reply

we’re going to draft a CB in the first round, anyway.

7. By georgiebird on Jan 17, 2015 | Reply

BA and SK have probably been the best team the Cards have had in the 55 years I’ve been a fan. The 10 and 11 win seasons have been a breath of fresh air for Cardinals’ fans. The only rub is the bar has been set so low (except for Coryell).
    My feeling is that Michael B. should not jump right now to extend both guys. Let’s see how the 2015 season goes before extending BASK. After all, these two guys have won nothing- not a division or a playoff game.
    SK jumped to extend PP and that could be one of the worst moves by any GM in the last couple of years. PP could have been extended but to look at more of his play would have probably meant less years and less money.
    Don’t get me wrong, BASK have done a very good job- but what’s the rush ?

8. By georgiebird on Jan 17, 2015 | Reply

I would not offer Cro a contract. It’s time the younger Cardinals’ players step up and seize the opportunity. This is a time for Bethel to show what he’s worth. Old guys like Abraham, Dansby and Rucker have played so much better than the young guys like Acho, Minter and KMart.
    Cro will ask for 3 years and a lot of money. It’s time for our 2, 3, and 4 year guys to step up and make the all-pro team. To continue to spend big money on “patch” jobs will not keep the Cardinals in a playoff position for long.
    Let’s try to get Toler back.

9. By rod (Eddie Golden RD1) on Jan 17, 2015 | Reply

That’s tough with PP21’s contract, CRO will want something comparable but shorter of course and I understand that. I hope he can stay. But if not, Keim will work his magic again this year at a different position.

PS. I love you…Cardinals!

10. By Nick Pepe on Jan 17, 2015 | Reply

It has been a while since I have been on the blog. Feel like a stranger. I can’t say I remember much of the Seattle or Carolina games. While I did watch and root hard for my Cards, I had to tend to my mother who lost an all too brief battle with cancer. We laid her to rest the day after our playoff game. It was the hardest thing I have ever experienced. She was a Philly native and quasi Eagles fan. She never once tried to sway me to root for Philly and infact she was a huge supporter of my love for the Cards-which pissed my Uncle Mike off to no end (he was the most obnoxious Eagle fan, sorry Ma but he was) I wish I still had the helmet lamp she bought me when I was 7, it was the coolest thing in the world! Gonna miss her.

Back to the business of football. I would not be surprise to see Cro fly the coop, he’s a solid CB and they are hard to come by. Fortunately for is we have a little depth there. I think it more important to secure Dock and Fitz. But I do know this, not everyone will be back, but that isn’t a bad thing.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Cards will better next year, than they were this year. The best front office in football will see to it.

I like both home teams tomorrow, but I will be pulling hard for the Pack. I don’t believe in supporting a team because they represent your teams division. I hate the Seachickens !!

Enjoy your championship Sunday and know that next year we will still be playing!!

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member ’70-’71
    With a heavy heart

11. By Darren Urban on Jan 18, 2015 | Reply

Nick —

RE: Mom

I’m sorry for your loss. Hang in there.

12. By JosEPh on Jan 17, 2015 | Reply

Cromartie is a good Pass defending CB. But his run support and blitz support comes up short. Too many plays this year where he sidestepped a charging RB or TE or had alligator arms while faking a tackle. If he stays with the Cards for a moderate contract, I hope that gets addressed. Otherwise he can travel back home to NJ.

13. By tyman on Jan 17, 2015 | Reply

I’d lock Cromartie up, but wouldnt give him more than a three year contract.

14. By Dr. G. on Jan 17, 2015 | Reply

Dupe–partial

I would like to see Cromartie stay; he has played very well and neutralizes the PP media offerings. But, with what is obvious, he is a short-timer, and will need to take the largest $$$$ he is offered.

Hey Darren – – Your patience is admirable handling the repetition on things that have been written in articles and discussed in postings ad nauseam: like development squads or AAA league, questions already answered on Logan’s practice time, Fitzgerald!, BA finally admitting misuse of Ellington, Cromartie, etc. It seems some posters just start typing what they choose without reading the previous dialogue or the subject matter.

Next, we might see gossip such as: “Cards have a player who has fathered at least 12 children with eight different women. Could this be true? Do you think he will play anywhere for the biggest $$$$ because of this? Tune in for updates”….just dumb…

I may take intermission until further into the Spring…..Thanks for your efforts…

15. By red2616 on Jan 17, 2015 | Reply

I’m glad you bring up Dansby here. Cromartie like Fitzy wants a ring. CRO wants to go get $$$ from jets. Sounds great but no ring, Ask Dansby if he would have rather stayed a Card or still gone to the Browns knowing what he does now? I bet he’d say Cards. Less money but Playoffs, win 11 and better next year.
    CRO has same situation. Give him 3 year $16m, $10M guaranteed with a ring attached. Everyone wins.

16. By Richard S on Jan 17, 2015 | Reply

In the Shrine Bowl today, there’s a Jamon Brown, WR, from Northern Iowa I believe. If the Cards picked him up they’d really confuse the opposition, not to mention the announcers with John, Jaron and Jamon Brown all playing WR.

17. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Jan 17, 2015 | Reply

Thoughts on whether Bethel is ready to start? Seems a bit parallel to Greg Toler, except Bethel more athletic. Cro in NY seems likely; if we didn’t sign Dansby, Cro seems even less likely, no?

18. By Cody Zarr on Jan 17, 2015 | Reply

I really enjoyed watching him play this year. I was a little skeptical when we first brought him on based on his ’13 performance, but he proved that to be mostly a product of the hip injury. I hope we resign him, but he’s probably worth considerably more after this last season.

19. By chango666 on Jan 17, 2015 | Reply

he is so history . . . wearing green and white next year . . .

20. By graetschinger on Jan 17, 2015 | Reply

Goodbye Cro, thank you!
    I think we will be fine with PP, Bethel, Powers, Mathieu, Jefferson, Johnson, Buccanon and an 6+feet Corner-Prospect via Draft. But Mister PP must play like an real Pro Bowler for an whole season.
    I would safe this 4-5 mill per season and put some juice to the front seven!

Darran, what do you think, would Steve go for an corner in free agency, when cro is gone?

21. By LadyBird04 on Jan 17, 2015 | Reply

I know I’ll get blasted, but I would prefer keeping Cromartie and trading Peterson. Cro’s head is in the game all the time and Peterson’s seems to be about his press session telling the world he’s the best. Peterson has not shown us a complete year of complete football and I don’t think he is capable of that until he leaves his ego behind.

All the skill in the world is worthless unless you are willing to put the effort out every day, every game and every play. Peterson doesn’t. I know there isn’t a chance of us keeping Cro but still would prefer him over Peterson. Effort alone gives Cro the higher grade.

22. By LadyBird04 on Jan 17, 2015 | Reply

I’ve heard all kinds of comments from our defensive free agents extolling the “wonder of Bowles”. All are well-earned! I just hope Keims & Co. can work some miracle and keep some of these free agents from defecting to the Jets who have all kinds of cash available to flash in front of these players.

23. By superbowlcards on Jan 17, 2015 | Reply

As soon as Bowles got the Jets job I wondered aloud in a previous article on here, I had a funny feeling that the combination of Bowles as Head Coach and a boatload of cap money if Cro wouldntreturn to NY, and everyone knows the Jets wont hesitate to overpay and offer up a 4-5 year deal to get the free agents they want. I hope and pray that Cro puts the chance at a title with Arizona over a boatload of money to sit in the basement of their division with the Jets, ut is going to take Bowles a few years to turn things around in NY. We all know that the Cardinals will make a fair offer but wont overpay and wont offer long term contracts to the more “seasoned” vets, which is the smart way to to business! (Yes I used the word seasoned instead of old, don’t like that word, old, probably has something to do with the fact I have almost 2 decades of seasoning on Cromartie!! HaHa!!

24. By Eazy E on Jan 18, 2015 | Reply

We must not let another great player walk because of a weak deal! Cro didn’t have a good season, he had a great one and should be paid as such by US! 7-8 Million per to start for 4-5 years.

25. By Redbird in the East on Jan 18, 2015 | Reply

He played pretty well this year with the exception of a couple games, and I didn’t really see much from the so called best corner in football. See people, in order to be the best you should actually be the best, this isn’t music where you can call yourself the” king of pop” or “King if all media”.It’s football it’s ” Arizona” football, big boy pants required.

26. By Cactus jeff on Jan 18, 2015 | Reply

He is gone, which is fine with me. Super long but looks to have lost a step. He was a great pick up by the Cards.

27. By tkm on Jan 18, 2015 | Reply

hate to lose cro ,big mistake cards made giving pp that kind of contract.had the good year with punt returns and I think it played in on his contract.cro is steady and can tackle,but either way I don’t think even without him that is our biggest need.we have plenty of young d backs and I think some are going to be real good.

28. By joe 67 on Jan 18, 2015 | Reply

Try and keep him of course. But don’t give away the farm. A lot will depend on how the coaching staff evaluates our other corners.
    Going to be another interesting off season, to say the least.

29. By Marlin on Jan 18, 2015 | Reply

Nick,
    Sorry for your loss. Focus on what you had when she was with You. That’s comforting.

30. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 18, 2015 | Reply

Nick Pepe,

Sorry for your loss. I loss my Mom 4 years ago and it never gets easier. Hang in there and God Bless.

31. By georgiebird on Jan 18, 2015 | Reply

Nick-
    my prayers are with you and your family

32. By Scott H on Jan 18, 2015 | Reply

Hey, let the league value youth. I would prefer to value the players that are best for the team RIGHT NOW, when they are capable of being a top level contender. Seems to me the league also values winning NOW when you have a chance to win NOW!

Cromartie makes this team better RIGHT NOW. And if there is no ‘youth” that is ready to step in to his spot and play at his level RIGHT NOW, then I’ll take the old guy!

Honestly – and I may not be alone in feeling this way – I think Cromartie was a better player this season that Patrick Peterson ( the great legend in his own mind ). Seeing as I feel that way, I cringe at the idea of Cromartie not being valued because he is on the wrong side of 30.

I don’t care what side of 30 a player is on. I care about what they are clearly capable of doing on the field. And we just saw what Cro can do ( even in his declining years ) and how valuable he is to this team.

33. By Scott H on Jan 18, 2015 | Reply

Wow, anyone watch the NFC title game? Un-believable, how the Packers let that game get away. After they got that 4th INT with about 5 minutes left and then proceeded to 3 and out about as quickly as they possibly could, you could feel the game slipping away right there. WHAT THE F WERE THEY DOING ON THAT DRIVE???? They went with 3 straight runs – the first two of which LOST yards – and looked like they had no urgency whatsoever. My God, if they even pick up ONE first down, then punt, they probably take enough time off the clock to make a comeback for Seattle impossible. I could NOT believe what I was seeing. It was like they just wanted to run and hide with 5 minutes left and I guess hoped that Seattle would just….give up??? It was pathetic.

And give Seattle credit, they did everything they needed to get the win. And because of it, we get to watch them play in the SB again. Friggin Packers……

Assuming the Pats win tonight, I am ALL IN with Brady and the Patriots in 2 weeks. Because I cannot stand to see the Seahawks win again.

Speaking of the Patriots, anyone taking note of what they are getting from Blount in this game? Yeah. Sure is a good thing we passed on him, huh?

34. By Chuck 1 on Jan 18, 2015 | Reply

It’s obvious, after the ‘Hawks win over the bumbling Packers, that the Cards are, at least two years away from dislodging the ‘Hawks as the NFC West Championships.

It could be longer if Keim doesn’t do better in the drafts and signing of FAs.

More later on his missteps on draft errors and contract mistakes (e.g. Peterson).

35. By clssylssy on Jan 19, 2015 | Reply

@Scott H
    Very well stated and I am in agreement with you about the value of youth in today’s NFL being overrated with a caveat of the importance of having a balance of quality veterans and gifted rookies (not projects) to build upon. Every time I see Eddie Lacy play, I am sickened knowing we passed on players like him, Montee Ball, and others and hope that this year Keim will go for quality rather than quantity with special attention to their history of injuries. I did think of you when watching the Patriots game and Blount’s contributions to that win! I was not surprised at the outcome of the Hawks/Packer game as I felt like the Hawks were playing cat-and-mouse with the Pack and would wear them down for the kill, which they did (of course the McCarthy’s conservative play calling sort of was like spilling blood in the water for the sharks). The Patriots were amazing and have the chops to give the Hawks a tough fight to repeat as Champs but I’m a believer in the NFC so will be in disagreement with you there. Nonetheless, I hope our players and coaches pay attention to how physical, aggressive and tough all these players were in playing these Championships games and how committed to the win they were as individuals (the tackle by Andrew Luck of Revis even when they were so far down was impressive and not something I have ever seen a Cards QB do in the face of defeat)
    Clearly we have a ways to go to get to the next level and hopefully won’t forget some of these things in the off season. Looking forward (as I’m sure everyone else is) to seeing how we are going to shape up for the next season with all the changes.
    Should be a great SuperBowl and I’m proud of the NFC West!

36. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 19, 2015 | Reply

Scott H,

I want Cro back also, but does Cro want to be back. His D-Cord is off to NY, a place he loved playing, and they have lots of money.

On the flip side, the cards are around 10 million over the cap. Whether it is Cro, Williams, or someone else, until Larry and Dockett’s contracts are addressed and Cap money is opened up, they aren’t signing anyone.
    Throw in the fact we dont even know how a new DC will use him, there is a lot of unknowns with the cards.

So if you’re Cro, where are you think you would like to go?

37. By Big Ken on Jan 19, 2015 | Reply

Nick Pepe, Sorry for your lose too. My Mom passed away last May 20th as well. She was a big football/baseball fan.

38. By Dr. G. on Jan 19, 2015 | Reply

Nick….Whenever we lose a loved one, it gives its pause to realize how valuable life truly is…very sorry for your loss. Time will ease your pain but the wonderful memories will still remain. Be well

39. By Scott H on Jan 19, 2015 | Reply

Nick –

I, too, am sorry for your loss. Lost my dad a few years back ( only a few months after the Cards-Steelers SB, in fact ) and it leaves a void that nothing will fill. I’m just grateful we were as close as we were and the great years we had together. Hope you can fall back on the same type of memories. My best to you.

40. By Scott H on Jan 19, 2015 | Reply

Chuck 1 –

I am curious as to why you feel the Cards are 2 years away from taking the division away from the Seahawks AFTER you acknowledged that the only reason they are going on to the SB in 2 weeks is because the Packers folded like a lawn chair.

The Packers had that game won. They GAVE it away more than the Seahawks TOOK it away.

Just this past season, the Seahawks were trailing the Cards in the division until Week 15 AND not until the Cards were so decimated at the QB position that it became inevitable that they could not hold on. Shoot, give me a healthy Carson Palmer for the whole year this past season and I FULLY believe the Cardinals would have won the division. And then some.

Let’s look at what is coming up for the Seahawks. They are losing their D coordinator after the season. That is a fact. He is going to Atlanta. That balances the loss of Bowles. What are they going to do with Marshawn Lynch? HE may be done in Seattle after this year and without him, that offense loses something it does not appear ready to replace. Not that they will fall off the map without Lynch, but they will also not be quite the same. It puts more on Wilson.

Speaking of Wilson, they have to address HIS contract and they are preparing to make him the highest paid QB in the league. They also have to address other key contracts ( Sherman? ). Fact is, THEY CANNOT PAY EVERYONE. They are gonna have to part ways with some players. That is a fact.

So….changes are looming for the Seahawks, just as they loom for everybody at some point. And the immediate changes could cause them to take a step or two back.

For these reasons, I don’t see why the Cardinals have to wait 2 years to catch them. If not for Palmer’s injury this year, I don’t even think we’re having this discussion.

Speaking of players the Seahawks may have to part ways with….I say the Cardinals do whatever they have to do to get Cam Chancellor whenever he may become available! That guy is a monster.

41. By Chuck 1 on Jan 19, 2015 | Reply

From an earlier thread:

Dr. G. & clssylssy,

As I wrote “draft smartly and sign quality FAs.”. If they do that, the Cards will win the NFC West Championship. It’s as simple as that i.e.

* Draft a Franchise QB (Logan Thomas is not one), Then, the Cards can have a Patriots’ type run of success that they have had with Brady.
    * Draft or sign OLinemen (Keim has only signed an elite LT. The Cards still need GuardS and a Center) and
    * Draft or sign a RB like Lynch or Blount

I believe that Keim and BA ARE on the same page regarding drafts and FA signings unlike what clssylssy implied..

So far, Keim’s drafts have been underwhelming e.g.
    He has missed on Swope, Logan Thomas, Kevin Minter, Earl Watford, Jonathon Cooper and D.C. Jefferson. That’s not good enough to overtake the ‘Hawks or Patriots.

42. By clssylssy on Jan 19, 2015 | Reply

ESPN is reporting that Arizona is interested in interviewing Falcon’s DC, Mike Nolan. I have to say, I really think there are better candidates out there and the Falcon’s defense was a big part of their problem the last few years. If this is true, I’m not impressed and a little disappointed after having really good DCs in Horton and Bowles. With all the coaching staffs getting pulled together, I really hope the Cards aren’t resting and are left with the crumbs. Whether players like Cro will want to stay or go will depend upon who we get to fill Coach Bowles shoes and so I really hope some of these things can be decided so we, as fans can sit back and enjoy the remainder of the season.This lack of aggressiveness is beginning to become a repetitious theme throughout the organization!

43. By Scott H on Jan 19, 2015 | Reply

JTDG –

Yeah, I gave mention to the financial aspects of where Cromartie may choose to be next year. And I know that momey may direct the course. Does he stay where he CLEARLY has a better chance to win? Or does he take the Karlos Dansby route, and go where the money is? I think where he goes will definitely answer that question. Because there is NO WAY he could go to the Jets and claim it’s because he is excited about the team they have there. Not with a straight face, anyway…..

But he is a veteran player and he is coming off a season that should give him a chance to cash in ( again, the Karlos Dansby approach ). And if he wants to cash in and go where the money is, then I’m not mad at him. If he chooses to stay here, then I think it says something about his character and desire to win. And I will not be mad at him for that, either!🙂

These one year deals that the Cardinals have been giving out the last two off-seasons sure have been a double-edge sword. Yeah, they bring some damn good players here. But when they come here and play as well as Dansby did last year and Cromartie did this year…..it seems like the Cardinals are just being used as a springboard for a payday somewhere else. It basically assures that they ain’t gonna be back here.

44. By clssylssy on Jan 19, 2015 | Reply

Scott H and others…
    I don’t understand where you get the idea that the Jets aren’t going to be in any better position than the Cards to pull it together and take it to the next level. The Jets are already rich with talent and are getting an entire face lift with the installation of Coach Bowles as HC. When BA came here we were in much the same shape as the Jets (record wise) and look what we’ve done! Coach Bowles knows the importance of having a killer defense from playing in the NFC West plus they are going to have the advantage of being in good draft position and having money to spend on FAs, soooo…what could be a better(and a pretty seductive place to play.) Something tells me Bowles will draft better as well. Some people actually prefer living in New York where there are seasons and the electricity of the Big Apple rather than the oppressive heat of the desert and the sea of sameness.
    This team lost much of what we had going for us in Bowles and we will lose more in players so, we are in no better a position than Seattle and I would bet they don’t lose Lynch, especially if they win the SB. Of course Seattle has to address contracts but those players are going to want to stay with a winner and love playing for Carroll, so I have a feeling they will find a way to make it work quietly and without all the drama the Cards have made of Fitz’s contract.
    Realistically, we can only hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

45. By robert on Jan 19, 2015 | Reply

trade PP for draft choices

46. By dondoo58 on Jan 19, 2015 | Reply

Darren, if the Cards were to cut Fitz and Dockett, how much money would they save on the cap? Thanks

47. By Darren Urban on Jan 19, 2015 | Reply

dondoo —

RE: cap savings

Right now, the Cardinals are scheduled to spent $33.4M in cap space on the two players in 2015.

If they released both, they would have $17.4M in dead cap space to account for, so they’d save $16M in cap space.

48. By Chuck 1 on Jan 19, 2015 | Reply

Scott H,

Re: Why I believe that it will take the Cards two more years to displace the ‘Hawks as the Champs of the NFC West; See my post above about Keim’s missteps on draft picks and the following points.

#1: Elite teams e.g. the ‘Hawks have the talent and grit to take advantage of opportunities given by opponents (see the ‘Pack “folding like a lawn chair” and “GIVING the game away” and the ”Hawks scoring two TDs and a two point conversion in a very short period of time).

#2: The ‘Hawks beat the Cards twice this season, once badly.

#3: The ‘Hawks have done very well in assembling a dominant roster, coaching staff and Front Office. I have no doubt that they will find an excellent replacement for their DC.

Speaking of the ‘Hawks coming Cap problems with Wilson et al, I believe that their Front Office will find a way to keep their key performers.

49. By Dr. G. on Jan 19, 2015 | Reply

ScotH – – Personal obligations dictate that Cromartie will play for the team that offers the largest guarantee, even if it is Tampa Bay….period… It is fruitless to speculate otherwise… If for some bizarre reason, he is not a hot item, then the Cards may offer a fair deal, but I just do not see it…..

50. By Nick Pepe on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

Wow. Thank you everyone for the kind words of support. They really do help. It is so nice to have an awesome “extended” family in the “BirdGang”. We have the best fans and blest blog in the NFL.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member ’70-’71

51. By Bay on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

Noo don’t go Cromartie! You were our best DB this season.

52. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

Chuck 1,

From your post “draft smartly and sign quality FAs.”

I completely agree with what you said.

As for the post “Re: Why I believe that it will take the Cards two more years to displace the ‘Hawks as the Champs of the NFC West; ”

The cards were the elite team most of the year and beat Seattle in Seattle with Palmer last year. This year, we had Stanton and Lindley go against seattle. Most teams are going to have a drop off when the starting QB is out. Can you imagine the Pats without Brady, Colts without Luck or Pack without Rodgers.

To your point though, the poor choice with Thomas was a problem and must be addressed, as was the ILB and OLB spots. The misses at the guard spots also put us in a hole. But I believe it can be fixed this year.

53. By Scott H on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

Chuck 1 –

Appreciate your view but the counters to most of your response are pretty obvious and JTDG has already pointed them out.

Stated in my own words…you are going to take the two games we played against Seattle this year – NEITHER OF WHICH INVOLVED OUR STARTING QB – and use THAT as a guage for measuring where we are in relation to them? Seriously??? Well, IMHO, you are selling the Cardinals WAY short in doing so.

In the first game against Seattle, we were down to our back-up QB, Fitz did not play, and Andre Ellington was on his last legs. At the same time, Seattle was getting a few of their defensive players back. Seattle caught some real breaks there. They were also at home.

In the second game against Seattle, the Cardinals were reduced to a 3RD STRING QB, RB’s that were also 3rd string OR HAD RECENTLY COME OFF THE PRACTICE SQUAD and they were a shell of themselves as a result. Seattle could not have walked into an easier situation than what the Cardinals had been reduced to by that point in the season. Our defense was spent by that point as well, having been so reduced by their own injuries AND the pressure that was constantly put on them because of how limited the offense had become.

Again, seriously??? You’re going to base where we are on THOSE two games??? I think you are being VERY un-fair to the Cardinals. The Seahawks never had to face the Cardinals at ANYWHERE NEAR full strength in 2014 because they never had to play the Cardinals with Palmer in at QB. As a result – and as much as I respect how good the Seahawks are – I am not seeing the same disparity as you are.

And I find it odd that I am defending the Cardinals to….a Cardinals fan???

As JTDG pointed out, the last time the Seahawks had to face the Cardinals at / near full strength was in Dec 2013 and the result was a Cardinals win. IN SEATTLE. And I see no reason why they could not have done the same this year if they had ever been at their best against Seattle.

As for the NFC title game, we may just disagree on our views there. I have heard the opinion that the Packers were playing scared all over the place, so…it’s not just me. I think that’s exactly what they were – scared. With a chance to put the game away, they played scared and it cost them. Hence, they gave it away more that it was taken away from them.

And as to your confidence that Seattle will find the right coaches and keep all their players…..OK. They certainly have done a GREAT job building this team over the past few years. No argument there. BUT the financial realities of the NFL and the salary cap just do not allow that. They will prioritize certain players ( and they will remain a very good team, no doubt ) but they cannot keep everyone. And I reiterate that if Lynch leaves, their offense will NOT be the same. It can’t be. That offense runs through Marshawn Lynch. Period. He leaves, it will not be the same.

But where is your confidence in the Cardinals organization to do the same???? Todd Bowles was certainly no sure thing when they brought him here, but look what he turned out to be. This organization saw something in him and they were obviously right on the money. So….why won’t they be able to continue to use that same vision to build THIS roster and THIS coaching staff?

54. By Scott H on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

clssylssy –

RE – Why are the Jets not in as good a position as the Cards to pull it together and take it to the next level?

Um…how ‘ bout their QB situation? They don’t have one. Geno Smith has been awful and the team had clearly lost confidence in him by later in the season. And Michael Vick is just done. From the start of last season, there were people wondering why Vick did not appear to be trying harder to win a starting job that seemed like it was there for the taking? In other words, where was his heart? Where was the fire and competitiveness you would expect from a QB? Why did it seem that he was just content to be the back-up?

Geez, where would we have been if Kurt Warner had taken that kind of attitude back in 2008 and just surrendered the job to Matt Leinart? Hell, no! Kurt wanted that job and he went in and fought for it. He put the kid on the bench and put us in the Super Bowl! And he put himself in the Hall of Fame.

But, really, the Jets do not appear to have a QB they are ready to win with right now. And without a QB, it’s not happening. IMHO. Now, if they go out and get another QB not currently on that roster….then, we’ll see.

55. By Chuck 1 on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

Well, we’ll just have to revel in being NFC West Champs next season when the Cards go 12-4 after defeating the ‘Hawks twice and Keim completes another successful draft and FA signing period.

56. By superbowlcards on Jan 21, 2015 | Reply

First and most importantly, Nick I’m so sorry to hear of the loss of your mother, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, your comment of mom being an Eagles fan did bring a huge smile to my face as my mom immediately came to mind, she has been a Cubs fan all her life and I have been a Cardinals fan (baseball) I always joke with her that I forgive her and love her in spite of her loyalty to the Cubs! Again my prayers go out to yoi and your family.

Subject: Senior bowl
    Cant remember who is the huge Mannion fan on here, but seems his first day of practice at the Senior bowl was nothing to write home about, scouts not real impressed (obviously its only one practice, but it seems that people are giving up on Thomas after only one game, and partial game at that!)

Chuck1 & John the Draft Guy
    Have to respectfully disagree
    SK draft record is not as bad as you portray it, I would like to remind you, Jefferson was a 7th round pick (if memory serves me?) 7th rounders are cut all the time (I would offer that his Undrafted rookie free agent successes far outweigh Jefferson being cut, the WR with concussion problems didnt reveal those issues until after the draft, at least not the extent of how many concussions he actually had, Cooper has jad injury problems, cant seem to stay healthy since he broke his leg, but the 2 games he did start late in season the Cardinals averaged almost 150 yards rushing, it was obvious that he is a run mauler and should be the starter next year, is he a bust, not

hardly, a little frustrating with all the injuries, but if the games this year are any indication as to his talent, he can vindicate himself in 2015. And what about Andre Ellington in the 6th round? No praise where praise is due? John Brown in the 3rd is looking like a steal, Jaron, the other Brown, wasnt he Undrafted, as well as Jefferson, the Safety, not the TE.
    Trading down in Rd 1 and getting extra picks as well as Bucannon (sp) who made the NFL All Rookie team, cant forget about the huge chance he took on Honey Badger either. My point is, when you look at the whole body of work in the drafts (plus the fact that you really cant judge a draft until 3-4 years later) I submit that SK&BA (if BA has any input at all, which I venture to say he does) have done a pretty solid job in the draft. Would you agree that the current regime has done better than the last regime??
    And as far as veteran free agent signings, I would say they have done an outstanding job in that department, wouldnt you guys agree? Signing veteran free agents, considering that they havent thrown any huge amounts of money toward any of them, and most have career years, I think the Cardinals would be at the very top of any rankings concerning veteran free agent signings!! Veldheer may have been the best signing in the NFL last year! Top 3 for sure! Now PP is a different story, never did and never will agree with his extension, unless he somehow miraculously learns how to give run support and learns to tackle, as well, he will need to return to his old true lockdown corner ways that he displayed in the oast, needs to make the all-pro list from here on out, and repeat his punt return performance from his rookie season, and then I would probably say the contract is still to large, way to much money! If we could get either a 1st round pick, or two 2nd round picks, or even a high 2nd and a high 3rd (like Tampa Bay’s 2nd & 3rd this year) I would offer to buy PP’s luggage and help him pack!! Actually I think most of us would perfer the scenario that gives the Cards multiple picks either 2 seconds, or a very high 2nd & 3rd round option. But then again just my opinion, but I believe when we look at the whole huge picture SK&BA grade out very high!
    Chuck 1

57. By Scott H on Jan 21, 2015 | Reply

Chuck 1 –

I would consider that a real possibility. Don’t know that we beat the Seahawks twice but then again, why not? It will sure as hell be more competetive than it was this year.

58. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 21, 2015 | Reply

superbowlcards,

Tony Jefferson was a UDFA, DC Jefferson (TE) was our 7th round pick, who was cut out of camp.

To sum up Cooper, he has started two games because he couldn’t outplay a journeyman, got his chance, and got the QB knocked out for the year in his second start. And as for Mauler, he has never been described that. the cards loved his quickness and ability to pull. Two starts in two years and you get the QB injured in one of those starts????

But overall, If you miss with Cooper and Minter (1st and 2nd) that sets the team back.. Honey badger is a playmaker but where does he play? Taylor is a back up. Watford can’t make it to the field. Okefor turned out to be pretty good.

So you come out of 2013 with an undersized RB who got injured and an undersized CB who is searching for a position. and a pretty good OLB in Okefor

2014, well too early to tell. But you have to question, if you are close to the program, why did you take a SS when you had the up and coming Tony Jefferson. At TE, you took a guy who didn’t show much, when RBs Jeremy Hill and Carlos Hyde there. Home run with John Brown, but it could be a miss on Martin as he sunk way down the depth chart. Thomas may be the worst pick of all.

In reality, what did we need in 2013? Offensive line help, OLB pass rushers, ILB, QB, RB, Safeties, speed at wr.

In 2015 draft, what is everyone wanting picked? Offensive line man, OLB pass rushers, QB, RB. He took two things off the list, safeties and wr, in two years. Not stellar.

2. Jan 17, 2015: Gray voters snap up Osborne's pensioner bonds | Posts
  3. Jan 18, 2015: Pro Bowl Calls Antonio Cromartie – RedZone Sport
  4. Jan 20, 2015: Ingredients New DC Has On Hand – RedZone Sport
  5. Jan 20, 2015: 2015 NFL mock draft: Arizona Cardinals move on from Daryl Washington – Revenge of the Birds – RedZone Sport