No Cardinals’ lockers for Seahawks

Posted by Darren Urban on January 20, 2015 – 7:55 am

It was the mantra Bruce Arians made sure his team lived by all season.

“Don’t let anybody dress in your locker room come February,” was the version Arians vocalized at midseason, a nod to making sure the Cardinals fought hard to reach the Super Bowl and be able to practice and play in their home facility and at University of Phoenix Stadium. That dream died on Wild Card weekend. So the next thought was the idea this weekend that NFC West rival Seattle, after beating the Packers in the NFC Championship, would then take up residence in the Cardinals’ locker room. That got a reaction.

Except that will not be the case.

At University of Phoenix Stadium, there are multiple locker rooms, so neither the Seahawks or the Patriots will use the Cardinals’ locker room. The Cardinals’ practice facility in Tempe is in play during the week, but the Patriots are going to use the facility — it was going to be the AFC team regardless, although I’m assuming that would have changed if the Cardinals had made it this far.

lockerroomcardsblog

Tags: , , ,

49 Responses to “No Cardinals’ lockers for Seahawks”

1. By Brett In Co. on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

Funny cause I was thinking the same thing as TJ thank goodness that no team is going to use the Cardinals locker room, just does not seem right to have another team use it! Especially after this big “what if” season! I just really dislike saying that phrase!

2. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

You know, don’t want them in your locker room, win next time.

Just like, if you don’t want someone dancing in your endzone, keep them out. Or you don’t want to get the score run up on you, stop them from scoring.

Seahawks and Patriots earned that spot in the locker room. Get over it.

3. By D on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

We are counting on you Darren for an interview with Mrs. Brady if she is seen at the facility…thanks!

4. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

Good post, needed to hear that.

Seahawks so lucky, Packers so inept…in the end Rodgers injury was the difference…a different, more dominant game unfolds if he can run.

5. By Hammy on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

Keeping the enemy out! I like that. Congrats to both team for making it to the big dance. Cardinals fans…. all we have to do is just keep supporting our team and trusting in the coaching staff and players. Truth is I think it should be us representing the NFC in this years Superbowl. What could have been if we just stayed healthy this year. The culture here has changed so much and I am excited for our future. Its just a matter of time before we reach the big dance again! Keim, Arians and his staff will continue to make the Cardinals winners. BELIEVE IT!

6. By Dynosoar on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

A final flicker of light at the end of a Huge season. I didn’t want Seahawks in our lockers.

An enigma as a team. Sometimes I listen to their coach and players and they’re very intelligent and respectful (very Fitzlike) and then other times they’re “in your face you can never be as good as us so just step aside” in their attitude.

I don’t care who wins the Super Bowl, I just care who loses. Is that wrong? If so, I’m in the wrong. Here’s to Brady comming one ring closer to having as many SB wins personally as the Steelers do as a team.

Down with the Hawks! I’m sick of them winning in our house.

7. By Dynosoar on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

I was impressed for the most part with the protection provided our QBs. It seems the only time in the entire game Stanton was hit was on the play he was injured.

My desires for next season. In no particular order.

1. A punter
    2. A Defensive Coordinator as good or better than Bowles (I trust BA has that individual in mind and probably a plan B if the first says no.)
    3. All our injured players returning to OAs healthy and hungry
    4. A punter that can punt as well as the college Freshman from Alabama
    5. br in nc to come back without harm
    6. An offensive line that can both protect our QB AND produce holes getting our RBs into space
    7. A game plan that includes Fitz more (Please Keim, please. I want to see him get his ring in Cardinals red.)
    8. A punter who is a weapon and not a place holder
    9. WRs that learn from Fitz how to catch the ball more
    10. SWEEP the NFC West
    11. Maintain playoff Home Field Advantage beyond game 12 in the season – actually claim it AND keep it this time
    12. A Super Bowl win

I’m a bakers dozen kind of guy
    13. Logan Thomas to make huge progress this offseason and become someone we can rely on to win games and win them more often than our NFC West rivals

8. By Billy on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

I have been a Cardinal Fan for a long time. This is a Class Less act. Lost a lot of respect for this Coach and Organization.

9. By Darren Urban on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

Billy —

RE: “Class Less”

I’m not sure what was classless about this (unless you are talking about the post itself, which came because I was getting questions on Twitter.)

The NFL decided the AFC would get the Cards’ facility for the Super Bowl long before it was known the Seahawks would make the Super Bowl. And no team was going to be in the Cardinals’ locker room, again, regardless of whether the Seahawks made it or not. I’m not sure where the “classless” comes in. Unless you didn’t read the post.

10. By Mary Worley on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

Lighten up…..the SEAHAWKS are the reigning Superbowl Champions and now the 2015 NFC Championship Team. Be humble and pay the respect due. Host the Stadium and their choice off locker rooms including yours. Probably want an untarnished locker without bad Karma anyways. Sore losers suck the fun out of all sports from Little league to the Biggest of Leagues. Show some class.

11. By Art on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

I just find it hard to root for either team in this Superbowl. The Seachickens and their attitude, and the Patty’s are a bunch of whiners and cheaters, and there is no in between. Can we hope this is a tie, at the end of the last possible overtime, and neither team wins?

12. By Dobie on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

The Seahawks did not win that game the Packers gave it away there is a difference there and you Seahawks fan stay out of this site personalty you SUCK and please don’t write back on my comment that will prove you do SUCK

13. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

Thanks for posting, Darren. I was wondering like everyone else regarding the lockers.

14. By Jerthebear on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

Hahahaha that’s lame!
    What makes you think a classy team like the Seahawks would want to use the Cards lockers anyway?
    I mean could imagine what they must smell like from a team that stunk so much this season!
    Go hawks back to back SUPERBOWL champs!

15. By bobsagetspiercedc0ck on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

Patrick Hoog, if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle…luckily “if” doesn’t mean anything…

Dyno, I’m going to go ahead and assume you have never played sports? To go out there and BE the best you need to THINK you are the best and let everyone know that you ARE the best.

16. By Andy Kw on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Shouldn’t the Cardinals have two compensatory draft picks for Jim Dray and Karlos Dansby to Dray for a 7th Rounder and Dansby as a 3rd or 4th Rounder? How are compensatory draft picks rewarded anyways?

17. By Darren Urban on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: Compensatory

It’s done through a basically secret equation that takes into account free agents signed and free agents lost and how much they were paid. So Dansby is a factor, but the other way, so is Veldheer.

18. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

I got 14 thumbs down for saying the Seahawks were lucky…lol… go back to your own website. If Packers hadn’t peed down their legs, you’re on vacation…if Rodgers could run, you’re beaten by 30.

19. By D on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

This offseason is critical for Mr. Keim to adjust their Cap and still keep quality leadership in the locker room-

a few ways to free up much needed space-

1) offer Larry a reduction of salary from 8mil base to 2mil base, still gets his $8mil roster bonus-savings of $6 mil. He won’t make any more money if released/signed by another team and he may lose more in sponsorship if working say in Foxborough – This is still overpaying for his role in the offense but he is the face of the franchise and leader.

2) release T. Ginn Gr. Savings of $2.5 mil. (draft a punt/kicker returner and 4/5 WR

3) offer Darnell a reduction from 6.55 mil base to 2.5mil -savings of $4 mil
    (age/injury he won’t get more on the market if released and signed by another team. Cards would actually save more $ if they do release him)

4) push out D. Washington bonus of $2.5 mil half in 2016 and half 2017. Save 2.5mil– if they keep him, they need to rework his deal to prove that he can make the best of a second chance. He still will be suspended for 6 games in 2015.

5) offer L. Sendlein reduction from 3mil base to 1.5 mil. Savings 1.5 mil.
    (his play has dropped off, Steen probably isn’t ready and Larsen isn’t an improvement -still need his leadership on the Line)

Total savings $16.5 million. You could also restructure Campbell’s deal if they needed more cap space.

Of course Larry, Darnell, DWash and Lyle could all say No.. Can’t lose all 3 (Larry, Lyle and Darnell) this offseason, but adjustments are needed…

20. By rod (Eddie Goldman RD1) on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

I can’t believe the Packers folded like that.

Seahawks are special but I still hate them and wanted them to lose so bad!!!

21. By Karen Perez on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

You all obviously are very ignorant and never been to the Univeristy Stadium. This stadium is huge.. That no kidding their rule is that no other team than the cardinals can use their lockers. No one else but the team and coach can enter there. This stadium is beautiful, and media just likes to add bad comments than reality. But even the guest lockers are fenomenal!

22. By Charles Jones (Seahawk Fan Born and Raised) on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

I would first like to say I’ve seen some really respectful posts, from some obviously intelligent, true football fans on here. . .and then there is the droll, disappointed hum of the fans of a teams that fell a little short. I’ve been to Cardinals Stadium. Beautiful place. I’m disappointed that so many of these people who post can’t be more gracious hosts. We would in Seattle. Oh well. Congrats New England and Seattle on Amazing seasons. . . And btw. . .Calling Seattle lucky for beating Green Bay is just sour grapes. . .They never gave up and Green Bay couldn’t capitalize. . .Its the nature of the game. Would haves and should haves have no place in football. . . Suck it up and look forward to next season.

23. By Andy Kw on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Do you see the NFl changing the overtime rules anytime soon?

24. By Darren Urban on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: OT rules

No. They just changed them. Not sure why they’d do it again.

25. By clssylssy on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

This entire “it’s my locker and nobody else gets to use it” mentality is immature and sounds more like something I would expect from grade schoolers. I believe it was started as a motivational incentive by Coach Arians to the players;but I don’t think he was encouraging the sour grapes and poor sportsmanship mantra taken up by so many of the, over the edge fans. It’s like someone else pointed out, it wouldn’t even be a mention had we worked a little harder, hung in, and won the division. Real fans of the game can appreciate the amazing job these two teams did in the Divisional playoffs and would be honored to open our house (and it’s amenities) to our accomplished visitors. I am proud to play in the NFC West because I believe we are the best, and whether it’s the Hawks, 9ers, or Rams, I consider them my brothers and applaud their victories (when not playing us). Every team has fans who are idiots and jerks (including the Cards) and it’s the fans that give a team a bad rap, not the players or the franchise. I have been to Seattle many times and was always shown gracious hospitality and respect. I consider the Patriots an exceptional organization and have many friends who are New England fans. The Superbowl is suppose to be a celebration of the best and these teams clearly deserve to be here. Let’s show that we belong in the same league as the other winners by being gracious hosts.
    As usual this has been more media hyperbole because in today’s NFL, gotta have the drama!

26. By Dynosoar on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

bobsagetspiercedc0ck,

I have played sports.

If I understand you, you are addressing my comment regarding the “in your face” attitude by Seattle. If this is the case, my thoughts are here. If not, please explain so I can understand what you meant.

Kurt Warner, Peyton Manning, Larry Fitzgerald are just three who THINK they’re the best (or at least among the best) AND who let everyone know they ARE the best by they’re play, not their mouth.

Someone doesn’t have to be “In your face I’m the best and get out of my way” EVEN if they are among the best. They can choose this behaviour and that’s obvious because in one interview some of the players will be very respectful and in other choose to not just talk smack, but belittle their opponents.

Yes I’ve played sports and I’ve won championships. And because of this I’ve learned the difference between a good winner and a poor winner.

27. By Michael Avia on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

That’s good there not in our locker..them bigg head sea chickens probably be ranting on us ..BIRDGANG!!!

28. By Michael Avila on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

No love for no sea chicken.. Let them dress in the parking lot..

29. By Andy Kw on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

I’d like to order a sea chicken sandwich to go please.

30. By Scott H on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

Hey, ya know what? Good for us! It’s our house….screw ’em! I would see my team’s locker room as a sacred place. Its OURS!!! And it is definitely NOT gonna be used by an arch rival. Take it down the hall, fellas.

Seriously….if I’m letting someone stay over at my house for the night, am I giving them MY bed???? Hell, no. Spare bedroom? Fine. MY bed? No.

And ESPECIALLY no to a guest who has been to my house recently and treated me badly!

And we gotta keep Belichek outta there so he doesn’t start putting spy cameras all over the place…..

31. By Hux on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

I love hearing all the Cards saying they should be there and what if. There is no doubt that the team they put together this year was a good one and had a shot. And with the Rogers comments…. C’mon. In Seattle we have a saying ” next man up” and it’s worked pretty well.

32. By CreditCard on Jan 20, 2015 | Reply

News flash, we just found out that a Leopard really doesn’t change his spots. Belichick is once again caught cheating. What is this the fourth time? How on earth, does the NFL front office allow Belichick permitted to be associated with the NFL?

Truly amazing

33. By Eazy E on Jan 21, 2015 | Reply

Congrats to the Seahawks and Patriots and move on bitter Cardinal fans! We had NO SHOT with Lindley at QB!

34. By Jeff on Jan 21, 2015 | Reply

I’ve been to University of Phoenix Stadium, and it’s a beautiful place. I don’t believe the Cardinals shouldnt give up their locker room, and it sounds as if there are other locker rooms for Teams to use..
    Cardinals Fan are very Nice to opposing teams Fans and I give them credit for that. Football is a strange game and you have to play the full 60 minutes to win !! as far as the Superbowl goes the city should be grateful that they can even host It in the 1st place….

35. By blaxabbath on Jan 21, 2015 | Reply

Seattle Seahawks play of the year was Carson Palmer going down with his injury.

36. By tyman on Jan 21, 2015 | Reply

Hope the seahalks clobber the pats. Hate cheaters any other sport they would be dissqualified.

37. By Jhed on Jan 21, 2015 | Reply

Can’t wait to see the sea chickens get there butt whooped!

38. By Scott H on Jan 21, 2015 | Reply

Hate to say it, but….even with this ball-deflating thing out there now….I STILL want the Pats to win. I just CANNOT and WILL NOT route for the Seahawks. The Seahawks have had it ENTIRELY too easy over the last month or so. First, they get the Cardinals with Ryan Lindley at QB ( gift #1 )…..then they get the PANTHERS in the divisional round ( gift #2 )….and then they get Aaron Rodgers on one leg in the NFC title game ( gift # 3 ).

It makes me sick to hear everyone sounding so awestruck over the Seahawks when, really….have they actually earned it???

Enough, already. They ARE a great team. I get that. But they have had a EASY road to the SB this year. And I hope Brady knocks them on their asses in two weeks. If nothing else, at least Brady will put up more of a fight than Peyton Manning did last year, when it looked like he wanted NO PART of the Seahawks after about 2 minutes.

39. By Scott H on Jan 21, 2015 | Reply

Eazy E –

You’re not telling us anything we don’t know by telling us we had no shot with Lindley at QB. I think we saw that pretty quick. It’s losing our starting QB, then our back-up QB that is hard to just “move on” from. I’m supposed to go from having the best record in the NFL to being reduced to having no shot with a 3rd string QB to being happy for the Seahawks as they cruise down easy street to another SB? You serious?

40. By Frank M. on Jan 21, 2015 | Reply

Ha !! It is not like the Cardinals will be using the locker room. It might as well be available.

41. By az illinois on Jan 21, 2015 | Reply

Good move. It’s there house they can do what they. Make the seaskawkers dress in parking lot more to spread there wings out on there paid off victory last week.

42. By az illinois on Jan 21, 2015 | Reply

Ball deflating? ??????? How’s the Patriots responsible for that?? Isn’t that the nfls job and the refs? Last time I checked nfl player uniform inventory a air pressure gauge wasn’t listed. Move on Indy. You can watch the Super Bowl at my house since your not in it.

43. By rwcreativellc on Jan 22, 2015 | Reply

You know when you watch those old NFL documents that show the teams of the past eras, we see the different uniforms, the rules have changed, the players abilities have heightened, etc. As you watch these films you can see the point of ‘Era Change’. Now, if you can stop hating the Seahawks long enough to look past them and look at the NFL and the role that destiny seems to have given to the Hawks club within the NFL, you can see the next change in the NFL Era is being brought about by this club.

Someone above said they are having a hard time rooting for either team in the SB. Of the Seahawks they say… “and the seachickens and their attitude…”. Really? their attitude? That is all that you could come up with?

The Seahawks are extremely likable across the board if you were to stop hating long enough to look closer. Very new minded, high tech, and forward thinking, with great personalities on the team and front office, and the owner is involved in inoculating third world countries.

Go Hawks!

44. By Scott H on Jan 22, 2015 | Reply

az Illinois –

I tend to have some of the same questions. Aren’t these balls checked BEFORE the game??? Well, who is responsible for that and was there a problem THEN??? If yes, why wasn’t something done about it?

By most reports I have heard, the issue of the balls and concerns that they may be less than properly inflated had been brought to the officials attention by half time of the game on Sunday. Ok. So….was anything done about it THEN??? If not, then WHY?

How this was monitored – or NOT monitored – and how this was addressed – or NOT addressed – is as much of an issue here as anything else,

May this be yet another attempt by the Patriots to gain an un-fair advantage ( = cheating )? OK, perhaps it is. But…are we supposed to believe that the NFL is completely helpless to do anything about such attempts??? Again, if these balls are checked BEFORE the games, then this should have been detected at that time and something should have been done about it. AND if it WAS known by half-time that there was something going on, then something DEFINITELY should have been done then.

But, apparently, there was either a total lack of supervision OR a total lack of willingness and initiative to address a “problem” in progress. And THAT is something the NFL has to answer for.

Been a tough year for the NFL. Certainly not the only thing they have had to answer for this season….

BTW, the NFL can and SHOULD require that the AFC title game be re-played. Why not? Yeah, I know the Colts lost by 38. OK. But this shouldn’t be about that. It should be about the integrity of the game, period. And the only way to do that is replay the game with an assurance to the fans that ALL things are equal and within the regulations of the game. The Pats might win by 38 again simply because they are good enough.

But this should also be about punishment for a team / organization that has been caught doing these shady things too many times. It is sad – and somewhat pathological – that a team that is good enough to win on the strength of its pure talent – is driven by a need to achieve unfair advantages by any means they believe they can get away with.

The game should be played again because THAT is the ultimate punishment – and humiliation – for the Patriots. Maybe they lose. Maybe they incur injuries that cripple them. Maybe playing ONE more game of football – while the Seahawks rest – PUTS the Patriots at an un-fair advantage. Or, maybe the mere fact that they are subjected to replaying a conference title game because they were caught cheating is – in and of itself – humiliating enough.

And, BTW, the game should be moved to Indianapolis.

45. By Chuck 1 on Jan 22, 2015 | Reply

rwcreativellc,

Why do you post on the Cardinals’ blog?
    Do you also post on the ‘Niners’ and Rams’ blogs?

Will you post on the Patriots’ blog after they kick the ‘Hawks’ ass?

46. By az illinois on Jan 23, 2015 | Reply

Tyman- cheating? ????? Your coach knew of all cheating at usc yet couldn’t man up to take his punishment instead was a coward and quit leaving all the burden on the players. So shut your mouth on cheating the system.

47. By rwcreativellc on Jan 23, 2015 | Reply

Hi Chuck, a couple of things, I didn’t know that it is illegal to post on any NFL teams website/blogs except the team that we root for. Secondly, I meant no harm or jabs at the Cards. Truth is, there are an awful lot of Seahawks fans who like the Cards, always have been, I am one of them. We like Bruce Arians, Larry Fitzgerald, Carson Palmer, Campbell, Ginn Jr, etc.(as a matter of fact, we would love to have Larry!) I’ve been a Hawks fans since 1975, I am a die hard, but through that process you learn to be a fan of a lot of other players from different teams in the NFL. You learn to appreciate and respect the careers and dedication of many in the entire NFL, coaches and owners included. Sure we want to win, just like you, but the greater fan is a fan of the NFL, (after their own club of course). I am 60 years old, for me, football is a game, a game we play for pride and bragging rights, not because we actually hate other people. I am more of an analytic fan and not a sheep fan being led to the slaughter. I like to know ‘why’ it works and ‘why’ it doesn’t. What is most difficult to swallow is when fans of either side dislike each other without ever taking the opportunity to know the other teams vibe, feel of the club, the players personality, the spirit of the ownership and what they are trying to accomplish locally and and in the national NFL market (beside the Lombardi Trophy). Because sustaining a franchise success is the most interesting game, so that fans can have a exuberant and exciting time in their stadiums every game day. That excitement transfers onto any given city and feeds our sense of a healthy community, and economy, and that is when we all win. The Cards will get theirs soon. The Cards are like the Hawks in many respects, new aged, vibrant, and leading the way into a ‘change of era’ in the NFL. Just my observations. I meant no dis-respect. Unlike you, I am hoping that the Hawks kick the Pats ass, so we can continue to push change and improvement and accountability onto the NFL Sure we’ve made plenty of mistakes getting to this point, but our team members are maturing both on and off the field, and that process has been accelerated by being SB Champions throughout this year. Pete Carroll made a poor decision while at USC, Sherman has learned his lessons, Baldwin is learning his now, and Lynch is forcing the NFL to re-think some of its archaic slaver-owner rules. I can say that if the Cards had made it to the SB this year, I would clearly be pulling for them all the way! And no, I won’t be posting on the Pats website because I don’t like rubbing in a loss to any club. That is classless. Go Hawks.

48. By JSpence13 on Jan 26, 2015 | Reply

The Colts realized the balls were deflated in the first half. At the start of the second half the refs switched out the balls for THE COLTS BALLS! The Patriots were using the other teams balls in the second half when they scored 28 points. They scored the majority of their points when they weren’t even using deflated balls. stop all of the controversy about how the game should be replayed or the Pats disqualified

2. Jan 21, 2015: 1/21 Arizona Cardinals news: Breaking down the defense | nflfans247.net