The mystery of LeBeau’s availability

Posted by Darren Urban on January 22, 2015 – 8:19 am

We take a break from all this talk about deflated footballs — and there is a lot of it — to mention that the Cardinals still do not have a defensive coordinator.

(Although that apparently doesn’t rank as something to note by some.)

No DC in itself isn’t a shock. Bruce Arians is at the Senior Bowl. Reportedly, he hasn’t yet had a chance to talk fully with Dick LeBeau about joining the Cardinals’ staff. But Gerry Dulac, a long-time Steelers beat writer who knows LeBeau well, took to Twitter (and later did an interview on Arizona Sports 98.7) to throw some cold water on the report LeBeau would be with the Cardinals as a linebackers coach.

Dulac has gone beyond that, saying he doubts LeBeau will want to come this far away from family in Ohio. That’s been the vibe coming out of Pittsburgh from the day the LeBeau-to-Cardinals rumor surfaced. One thing I did not know — I had heard LeBeau had family in Ohio, but I didn’t know it was his wife that lives there. That’s a bigger deal to me than if it was, for instance, his children and grandchildren.

Where this goes is a good question. There has long been the thought (even before LeBeau and the Steelers parted ways) that if Todd Bowles left Arians would go internal for the new DC. Would getting LeBeau mean enough to Arians make him the DC? As I have mentioned, other than LeBeau — who apparently is also drawing interest from Ken Whisenhunt in Tennessee (where the Titans already have Ray Horton as DC) — there has been a report the Cards also want to talk to Mike Nolan. The coaches’ offices in Tempe, meanwhile, remain quiet and dark. There’s a chance this whole situation could remain quiet until after the Super Bowl too.

Tags: , , ,

23 Responses to “The mystery of LeBeau’s availability”

1. By azjam on Jan 22, 2015 | Reply

It would be nice for LeBeau to join Arian’s staff. However, I have confidence in Arians that whomever he choses will do well as its a solid defense.

2. By Coach K on Jan 22, 2015 | Reply

MY FIRST PRE-COMBINE, PRE-SENIOR BOWL CARDINAL MOCK DRAFT

1. T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pitt
    2. Hauoli Kikaha, LB, Wash.
    3. Sean Mannion, QB, Oreg. St.
    4. David Cobb, RB, Minn.
    5. Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson
    6. Adam Shead, OG, Okla.
    7. Andy Gallik, C, Boston Coll.

It’s way too early, but this gets the party started. This group contains
    guys that will be drafted and no FA’s.

3. By Brett In Co. on Jan 22, 2015 | Reply

I say take your time do not rush or make a haste decision, wait after the super bowl maybe there is gem in the college rankings or a nfl dc that would like a change!

4. By tkm on Jan 22, 2015 | Reply

i said this other post about lebeau being a position coach,why would he want to go from DC to a position coach.he should either be DC or should go somewhere else.great mind but if have a DC and they don’t agree then someone is going to pissed.not a good recipe.either hire lebeau as DC or hire in house or someone else,i am sure lebeau would want to in charge.

5. By tkm on Jan 22, 2015 | Reply

–this has nothing to do with this article,just read on nfl network patrick peterson says seahawk wide receivers underrated,this coming from a guy who can’t tackle,and when the pass is not completed,has a holding penalty.i guess i would say the same thing if i defended them the way he does.been a cards fan since 1965,just saying he is not even the 5th best corner in league and is paid the highest.

6. By azdesertrat1953 on Jan 22, 2015 | Reply

I like the fact that all these heavy-weight names are getting thrown around and talked about, it puts more focus on the Arizona Cardinals. It makes players and UFA and FA’s who are not sure what’s going on in AZ take a Good look at this Team and it’s Coaches.

GO CARDS!!!

7. By Dynosoar on Jan 22, 2015 | Reply

With the 49ers losing offensive, defensive AND head coaches

AND Seattle is potentially losing their DC

AND we have an entire team coming off IR, next season is looking better.

LeBeu or no, Arians has a plan and is not afraid to adjust if he sees something (someone) better to accomplish his plan. I don’t see him wanting anything less than at least one Super Bowl win as HC.

It’s often been acknowledged that the culture around the Cardinals has changed. This is an organization that has set their sights high and is consistently and determinedly working to reach those goals.

This is a refreshing change from when I was young (and when I was old). Looks like good things really do come to those who wait.

8. By hummer53 on Jan 22, 2015 | Reply

Darren. Good point about ‘remaining quiet until after SB’. I could be wrong but I think the NFL frowns on any ‘news releases” not related to the SB during the week of the Super Bowl. So if something doesn’t happen by Sunday, I would think we wouldn’t hear anything related to a new DC until after. Seems I have heard that in the past.

9. By Scott H on Jan 22, 2015 | Reply

Well…if a long-time Steelers beat writer who knows Lebeau well is saying he doubts LeBeau would take a position coach job and is only doing so if he changed his mind in the last couple days….then I see little reason to get hopes up about this.

My questions remain – why is a legendary DC like Lebeau going to leave the Steelers to be a position coach anywhere ( it doesn’t make sense to me, either ), and why – if we are trying to bring Lebeau here at all, are WE not tring to make him OUR DC???

This notion of bringing him here as a position coach so he can mentor our DC just does not fly with me. Makes very little sense ( to me ) for Lebeau OR the Cardinals.

Anyone got Wade Phillips number??? Why aren’t we calling HIM?

10. By D on Jan 22, 2015 | Reply

Hard to discuss draft picks before Free Agency has started. Because you don’t know if Fitz, Cromartie , D. Williams, Docket, even DWash will be a part of the team next year. (although DWash won’t be known until later on in May)

If the Cards free up enough Cap Space to add a J. Worilds or Mark Ingram or C. Boling in free agency then that will alter your draft selections in May.

I am guessing, that AZ will not be able to keep D. Williams or Cromartie (have you see the huge amount of Cap Space the Jets have).

With Stinson and Rucker under contract next year, I don’t see Docket back, if he is on the roster in 2015 it’s because he has agreed to take a big pay cut. But as we all could see last year, they didn’t miss his production.

Fitz is probably 50-50 to return. If Ftiz and Docket are gone, then that creates some free agency Cap Space to fill some holes.

Odds are AZ will either take a Pass Rusher/CB/WR in the First round.

11. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 22, 2015 | Reply

Scott H,

Wade Phillips wouldn’t be bad.

12. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 22, 2015 | Reply

Coach K,

I got to pick on your mock a little.

A RT in round 1??? Can’t get behind that one.
    In round two, I like Za’Darius Smith or Nate Orchard better. I believe they both could be converted to OLBs.
    My 3 favorite guys went back to college.

Mannion or Petty. That is the question. Of course, if Hundley drops to our second, don’t you have to take him?

13. By Big Ken on Jan 22, 2015 | Reply

Wade Phillips? I like that idea Scott.

14. By Marlin on Jan 23, 2015 | Reply

Off topic…..but……just a suggestion. Maybe you can give some thought to a writing a current piece about Michael Bidwill. When you sit back and think about it….he may just be the best Owner in the NFL. All things considered with our team and front office and contracts and stadium and NFL events and community…..the guys is 1st class.

15. By iammattyoung on Jan 23, 2015 | Reply

Cannot believe that anyone is interested in Mike Nolan. The guy was a joke in San Francisco and then was the DC for one of the worst defenses in the NFL the last two years. What kind of resume is that?

16. By Coach K on Jan 23, 2015 | Reply

JTDG

I am a little confused over Mannion. Scouts at Senior Bowl say he is not letting the ball come off his hand fast enough, and they feel he is holding back trying to be too perfect instead of letting it rip. This may cost him some draft stock if he doesn’t get his act together. As for Petty, I really like his arm and his size, but I don’t think the scouts like his throwing motion for some reason.

Kikaha is a pure edge rusher, but not great in space. What I like about him is his motor. The guys just keeps playing full speed every down. I love that.

Cobb is the guy I really like. 5’11”, 230 lbs of size and killer jump step in the hole. THis guy could be the best big running back in the draft. I may have to move Cobb up to round 3 if Mannion doesn’t get his act together.

17. By Coach K on Jan 23, 2015 | Reply

JTDG

Regarding a first round tackle, I realize we need help inside at guard, and depth at center, but Bobby Massie really is hot and cold and late in the season was getting beat outside. And we don’t have anyone behind him. I want an athletic guy who can bend, and T.J. Clemmings is the guy with size and amazing feet. He does not get beat outside.

He will probably be off the board when the Cardinals pick, but if not, I would run the card to the podium. He would start at right tackle, and could move to left if an injury occurred to Mount Veldheer.

18. By Coach K on Jan 23, 2015 | Reply

My New Year Resolution, PLEASE DRAFT DAVID COBB

19. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 23, 2015 | Reply

Coach K,

Ahhh, draft arguments. What a wonderful time of year. I am waiting for my, “way to early draft” till the Senior Bowl.

I’m looking forward to the senior bowl, but did you see the East-West shrine.

A couple of guys really shined.

Za’Darius Smith was in the back field on every play showing a lot of quickness and power. I think he is Athletic enough to play OLB, but he was pretty darn good.

Jon Miller is an athletic guard who has good feet. Moving up the draft boards after his E/W Shrine game.

The RT for the East team had a great game. I am not sure of the name, I believe it was Jamon Brown of Louisville.

Cummings is good and there is something to be said about securing the OLine.
    He would be a great bookend with Veldheer. I wouldn’t be heart broken over the pick.

The cards offense has been pitiful the last two years, and an offensive draft may not be that far fetched.

20. By Scott H on Jan 23, 2015 | Reply

I DO hope this team is gonna have a big RB in place come September. It is an absolute MUST. Geez, how much did NOT having a big, power back kill us this past season? Wonder how much better our O-line would look with an Eddie Lacy-type guy back there….

Of course, we COULD have had one if we’d taken a chance with Blount……

Man, how cool would it be to have Jeremy Hill??? He’d be perfect! But I don’t imagine that is an option.

Hopefully, they will look at Ingram from the Saints.

21. By Louisville Card on Jan 23, 2015 | Reply

@JTDG

It was Brown from Louisville. He held down his side well almost every game this year. He would be a good 4th or 5th round guy. The two guys from UofL they really should be looking at are Gerod Holliman and Lorenzo Mauldin. The cards picked safety first last year but Holliman is as Ed Reed as you get. He had 14 picks this year that’s more than most teams get…Keep Buchanon at LB he’s going to be better there than at safety.

Lorenzo Mauldin is a baby Darnell Dockett high motor OLB that gets to the qb. He got hit by a car on a moped his freshman year and didn’t even miss a game. The kid is a beast. He’s always around the ball and never gives up on plays…watch some of his tape he looks like a smaller version of Dockett out there…

22. By Big Ken on Jan 24, 2015 | Reply

I’m getting tired of this LeBeau story. It was probably a non-story for quite a while.

2. Jan 23, 2015: 1/23 Arizona Cardinals news: Peterson talks about season, top special team plays | nflfans247.net