On free agent swaying and Cro

Posted by Darren Urban on January 23, 2015 – 3:08 pm

Free-agent-to-be cornerback Antonio Cromartie said the Cardinals have yet to talk to him about a new contract. That isn’t that surprising. Cromartie said he never expected any talks until after the Super Bowl anyway.

“I would like to (return),” Cromartie said. “But like I said before I am always going to keep the door open. It’s my 10th year, I want to make sure, not only for me but for my family, that (a decision) is understandable for them and reasonable for my family.”

Cromartie said if talks do start, “we’ll see what happens.” His cornerback cohort doesn’t seem like he has a ton of optimism Cromartie will return.

“I’m definitely trying to keep him here,” Peterson said. “It’s going to be tough, especially with Todd (Bowles) being in New York. That’s all he talks about is freakin’ New York. I’m definitely trying to get him to stay. We’ll see what happens.”

(There’s that phrase again.)

Cromartie never wanted to leave the Jets in the first place — he was a salary cap casualty by a now-dismissed GM — so staying with Bowles and going back makes some sense. Regardless, Peterson and defensive end Calais Campbell see themselves as de facto recruiters for the Cardinals, and given that both guys are committed to long-term contracts here, trying to lure talent here naturally follows.

“I’m always scanning the free agent list,” Peterson said after Friday’s Pro Bowl practice. “I haven’t talked to any of these (Pro Bowlers) yet and I definitely didn’t scan the free agent list yet, but I’m always scanning the free agent list. I always find a way to get guys’ numbers. That won’t be a problem to talk to them.”

Peterson said he doesn’t have to do a lot of selling these days. The area and the Cardinals’ recent success under coach Bruce Arians are pretty straightforward facts in the free-agent game.

“It’ll be good to market some of these guys, try to see if we can talk some of them into coming to Arizona,” Campbell said. “The guys in the cold cities, I’m like, ‘Yeah, man, you’ll love it here. Trust me.’ ”

Of course, usually, it’s the money that wins out. Those purse strings are held by GM Steve Keim, and so much goes into who the Cards try to sign. There is a cap budget and analytics to factor into the equation. Which, coming full circle, is how the Cardinals plan to approach Cromartie in the first place.

CorFAblogUSE

Tags: , , , ,

33 Responses to “On free agent swaying and Cro”

1. By tkm on Jan 23, 2015 | Reply

like 99 percent of all players,someone give me 1.8 mil,someone give me 1.7 mil,they go for the money,like you can’t make a living makiing chump change less.there is no loyalty,again maybe 5 percent.you listen to players talk,i ain’t giving no home town discount,they go play for the worst team in football,because it does not matter what the team;’s record is,you get paid every 2 weeks no matter.i made huge money,but our record is 2-14.doesn’t matter check every 2 weeks.

2. By D on Jan 23, 2015 | Reply

Tell Peterson to have a “chat” with M. Ingram. Cro is gone but with a possible first round draft pick at CB and or Bethel along with an improved Pass Rush next year, Cards will be okay.

3. By Scott H on Jan 23, 2015 | Reply

Um….can we keep #31 and send #21 ( and his contract ) to New York???

Yes, I’m serious.

4. By joe.holst on Jan 23, 2015 | Reply

I read the Cards have the 2nd worse cap situation in the league. Is that true?

5. By georgiebird on Jan 23, 2015 | Reply

Cards can’t get into a bidding war for Cro. He’s a real good player but it’s part of the collateral damage caused by the expensive signing of PP.
    Time to get a young guy in there at the other corner-like Greg Toler was a couple of years ago. Maybe Justin Bethel is the guy this time.
    It’s time for young guys on the Cards to make a name for themselves. Most of them are good second line players but it’s time to get to the next level.

6. By Steve on Jan 23, 2015 | Reply

Darren: Speaking of free agency and the draft, do you plan to do another video series set of interviews with Keim and Arians on all things free agency and the draft with questions submitted by the fans? I believe you did this last season at the combine and it was insightful and fun to watch.

7. By Darren Urban on Jan 23, 2015 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Videos/Arians/Keim

That is the plan.

8. By djjackson81 on Jan 23, 2015 | Reply

Bottom line until Keim addresses the cap Cro is gonna. Chasing paper and the Jets have a lot to spend Bowles will want him. aZ I don’t think is drafting a CB at 24. Not with this edge rusher class.

9. By Dr. G. on Jan 23, 2015 | Reply

ScottH – – I would like to renegotiate PP’s deal and leave some room for Cro or trade him for a couple picks, but I think he still goes to the biggest $$$$ regardless.

And to amplify on your statement:
    Um….can we keep #31 and send #21 ( and his contract ) to New York???
    Um….can we keep #31 and send #21 ( and his contract ) to New York???
    Um….can we keep #31 and send #21 ( and his contract ) to New York???
    Um….can we keep #31 and send #21 ( and his contract ) to New York???
    Um….can we keep #31 and send #21 ( and his contract ) to New York???

joe.holst – – I read the Cards are about 10 mil under the cap…we need Darren to clarify. But a lot to happen yet… SK is on it… be well….

10. By Dr. G. on Jan 23, 2015 | Reply

PP- – What is this floundering flip flop quote here? I would like to be your life and PR coach for a bit. You need lots of polishing… I can help… maybe?

11. By Marlin on Jan 24, 2015 | Reply

The two free agents I’d like to see the Cards go after this offseason are both from SF…..the guard Iupati…..and the linebacker Skuda (spelling?). Both would make excellent additions in areas of need.

12. By Marlin on Jan 24, 2015 | Reply

Salary Cap – I think we’ll be OK. We carried about $13M in dead money just for O linemen that weren’t on the team last year…..that’s gone now. My sense is that Housler, Fanaika, Cro, Williams, and Acho will all be gone…for various reasons. Abraham and Foote retire. Fitz and Dock restructure. We’ll have enough to extend a few guys, sign an impact free agent and a few other role player free agents. Sign a solid collection of draft picks. We’re good.

13. By Scott H on Jan 24, 2015 | Reply

Geez….Cro never wanted to leave New York in the first place….it’s all he freakin’ talks about…..Bowles is now there in New York….

Gee, one might get the impression that Cro will end up in New York.

As became the case with Bowles after a certain point, it sounds like we can consider Cromartie gone.

Next man up, I suppose? I swear, I have heard enough of THOSE three words for a good long time.

14. By Duncan on Jan 24, 2015 | Reply

With the TE group not working out as well as was hoped – Ballard (retired), Niklas (injured) and Carlson (drops) – do you see any chance they look at Gresham (Bengals) in FA? Apparently he graded out very well in the run this season. As a blocker he seems like Arians type of guy. He might be able to help Ellington and Williams out.

15. By Dr. G. on Jan 24, 2015 | Reply

As for Cromartie, much as we like him, we need to let it go, unless Keim pulls a rabbit from the hat to satisfy his personal needs…lots of $$$$…

And a note on Logan… We can recall a Mariner flame thrower who could not hit the side of a tobacco barn, now in the Hall of Fame. In the D’backs World Series win, some fans pointed out that “it takes more than 9 Yanks to beat our Johnson.”

It is prudent to concentrate significant effort to get this guy going. The physical ability he has cannot be taught…develop it, and maybe we get the wow factor we saw in the Big Unit. I am not ready to give up on a still yet rook. ‘Tis worth the effort…QB needs to be upgraded constantly…

16. By Eazy E on Jan 24, 2015 | Reply

We gotta keep Cro though! Give him a 4 or 5 year deal starting at 7-8 million per. Powers is a great slot corner, but outside corner, he’s ok. Bethel is an amazing special teams player, but at corner hasn’t shown much. We need Cro to build our own ”LOB”, but we’ll have a different name…

17. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2015 | Reply

Eazy —

RE: Cro offer

No way that offer happens.

I’d be surprised if they offered more than three years, max 5 per maybe? Probably less. We’ll see.

18. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 24, 2015 | Reply

Here is what I would do in the off season and draft (I know, way to early)

I will assume that Coach Lebeau joins the staff and we run a similar defense.
    Also, I assume Fitz makes a deal with the cards to lower his number freeing up 5 million.
    We will also assume DWash does not play.

Offseason;

Releasing Dockett also frees up an additional 6.8 million.
    Cut Tedd Ginn, freeing up 2.5 million. Shaughnessy saving 2 million, Alexander saving 1.5 million. John Carlson saving 1.6 million, and Finally, Jerrod Powers saving 4.2 million. Drew Stanton – 4.25 million saved

Cards freed up cap money = 28 million

Free Agency;
    Mike Iupati – Right Guard – (made 4.65 million last year) – 6 million a year.
    Chris Harris Jr – Corner – 4 to 5 million a year
    Re sign Tommy Kelly at 1 million
    Colin McCarthy – MLB – 1 year, 2 million. He has a history of injuries but could be an amazing pick up.
    Bruce Carter – ILB – 4-5 million per season. Great in coverage.
    Kenrick Ellis – DLine – added depth for a million or two
    QB Jake Locker – 4-5 million

Around 18-20 million.

Recap- McCarthy could compete with Minter for ILB. If McCarthy stays healthy, he will win the job. Harris would start opposite PP with Honey Badger stepping into the Powers role. I would use both Jefferson and Bucannon as the safeties. Carter had 5 picks last year and is the added speed at ILB that is needed.
    Iupati gives us the toughness needed inside.

As for Locker, he is 26 and has talent. His issue is injuries. What better spot for him to sit behind Palmer, learn without the pressure of playing and get healthy. By the start of 2016, you will know if you need to draft a QB or if Locker or Thomas can become the guy. We know Stanton is a back up.

Now the Draft;
    Round 1 – Nate Orchard OLB
    Round 2 – Carl Davis NT, DE
    Round 3 – Devin Smith – WR
    Round 4 – David Johnson – RB
    Round 5 – Jamon Brown – RT
    Round 6 – Stephone Anthony – ILB
    Round 7 – BJ Finney – C/OG

Orchard comes off the edge and will be a nice combo with Okefor on the other side.

Carl Davis blows up guys in the middle is not being moved. He will keep LBs free. Rotating with Ellis would keep him fresh. Will he be there?

Devin Smith has unbelievable speed. Paired with John Brown will give Palmer a ton of speed.

David Johnson is a huge back who has great feet. he also can catch the ball out of the back field. Combined with Ellington, the cards could finally have a running game

Anthony is an aggressive ILB who can tackle. who at worst will give depth.

Brown looked good in the East West shrine game and could work at replacing Massie at some point. At worst, he gives depth.

19. By superbowlcards on Jan 25, 2015 | Reply

I too would love to rid the Cardinals of Pp’s contract!! Didnt want them to resign him until after they used the franchise tag on him, would have been alot of money then but as it is we started paying him franchise money 2 seasons early!!
    If we could get two Second round picks – trade him!
    If we could get a high Second round and a high Third round- trade him!
    If we could get two low Second round picks and a very high Fourth round pick- trade him!
    If we could get a low First round and a proven veteran with a team friendly contract ( like a Center, or an Inside Linebacker, or Nose Tackle…as in over the Center 3-4 NT) -trade

20. By clssylssy on Jan 25, 2015 | Reply

I think you are right Scott. Despite Cro’s outstanding performance, the bottom line with the Cards (has become their official signature) is their discount warehouse mentality. If fans were honest they would admit that they too, would follow the money given the opportunity, but instead expect players to put aside their best earning years and what’s going to be best for their families future out of some sort of loyalty? Loyalty cuts both ways and is not a quality I readily associate with NFL franchises (some are better than others, e.g. the Pittsburg Steelers) as they are all about the money! No,I think the handwriting is on the wall when the organization starts promoting Justin Bethel as the “next cornerback and return man”, in the same manner they were promoting Floyd as the new #1 WR, (little more difficult because Cro is not the face of the franchise) Of course, there are those who will say, Cro’s best opportunity for a ring is with the up and coming Cards but really? This Cards team is going to look nothing like last season’s team just as it didn’t look like the season before that,and the place getting the big makeover is our defense–our biggest strength, not only in professional personnel but in players! Even if they promote from within (likely) and keep much of Bowles philosophy and schemes, Bowles had his own quiet but firm way of doing things that his players respected and I don’t think it’s going to be as easy as slipping on the “Bowles suit”. I think the Jets will surprise a lot of people and look very much like we did two years ago, if not better.
    We have some good talent that are coming up for contract extensions but rather than pay them, chances are we’ll cut them loose just as they are beginning to develop a chemistry with the team and are beginning to contribute. These guys will get picked up and get paid and will go on to have success elsewhere like so many before them. Building through the draft is laughable if we look at the past two years and the fact that just when those players are catching on it’s time to reshuffled again, getting nowhere.
    The thing that most fans don’t seem to understand is that these guys are very much like anyone else in that usually their job decisions are based on what ultimately will be best for their family’s future and is not solely about the money (although everybody wants the best for their family). Uprooting one’s family is a bigger deal for someone like Fitz who has been here a long time and developed deep ties to the community whereas Cro’s ties may be in New York.

21. By clssylssy on Jan 25, 2015 | Reply

JTDG…
    You know the old saying about assuming, LOL! I’m not so sure it is safe to assume that LeBeau will be joining the Cards staff, and it has nothing to do with football but more about family. As more time passes without any official word about our new coaching staff, I suspect there is a reason that fans aren’t going to be thrilled about. This article was just posted yesterday on another site, but does sound plausible…

22. By Louisville Card on Jan 25, 2015 | Reply

@JTDG

Not a fan of your moves or draft…Lupati I think would be a great pickup but that’s about it…Why would you cut Powers and Stanton? Powers is a crucial part of the D with Cromartie leaving. They need a solid safety net in case Bethel doesn’t pan out. Stanton also played well when he was in there for a back up.

Locker has never played well in back to back games his whole career. I remember you wanting Whiz to draft him when he came out and thankfully they don’t listen to your qb picks…Tannehill is the best of the qb’s you’ve said to pick over the year’s and he’s barely in the top 20 of starting qb’s. Not to diminish your knowledge, you seem to pay attention to college players.

The cards should stay where there at with qb’s this season there aren’t any upgrades to be had in this draft unless one of the top two qb’s drop. The league isn’t set up for project qb’s any more. If you can’t play as a rookie then you’re probably never going to be good enough to ever start. They don’t get the reps or coaching focus that the starters receives and never really get much better. Rodgers is the exception but he could’ve started his Rookie year and succeeded he just had Farve ahead of him. The cards missed there chance to draft a franchise qb last year when they passed on Bridgewater.

23. By D on Jan 25, 2015 | Reply

One move would improve their team from last year. They showed they can play without Dockett and still have a good D line with Stinson and Rucker. Cutting DD saves them 6.8.
    If Iupati would play RG sign him for 6. Immediately the Offense is improved.

If that deal couldn’t get done then I would release DD and Sendlein sign R. Hudson at C at 5mil.

24. By John the draft Guy on Jan 25, 2015 | Reply

Louisville cards,

Why Powers ?
    Powers struggled outside in 2013 but was a star in the slot. But we have a guy named Honey Badger sitting. I think HB could take his role and get him on the field, while saving 4.2 million.

Why Stanton ?
    Stanton is not a starter. No one is going to convince me of that. Also, he is on the wrong side of 30 and can save 4 million being released. We are not winning the Super bowl next year if Palmer goes down again. It is time to build the future.

Why Locker ?
    Locker has talent. Injuries have derailed him. Getting him in the system could give us a future QB. You will know in one year if he is the guy, while he is learning behind Palmer. If not, draft a QB in 2016 and move on.

Tannehill and other QBs ?
    He had 4000 yards, 27 TDs, and 66% comp ratio. Each year, he has got better and that is with his OCs being fired.

Other QBs? I asked for Palmer before he was traded. Liked Dalton, missed with Ponder. Hated Kolb, Skelton, and the rest. Liked Foles, thought Wilson was too small and liked the Steelers #2 QB Landry Jones. I’d say I’m more than 50%.

25. By Dr. G. on Jan 25, 2015 | Reply

Just thought I’d check out the Pro Bowl to see what was going on a little bit. And now I’m reminded that Ray Lewis is part of this ESPN analyst crew. Chris Carter, Tom Jackson, Ditka, Boomer, doing the pre-game show…all credible men, and good at their job, and then the phony Lewis, who should not even be in our stadium.

I believe he is of questionable character, and his observations are sub-8th grade…difficult to believe ESPN can’t find 100 others to fill a spot…ugh….!!!!

26. By Dr. G. on Jan 25, 2015 | Reply

Jtdg…. would you entertain a bid for DeMarco Murray? Austin Davis?

27. By Eazy E on Jan 25, 2015 | Reply

Darren-

The money that the Cardinals are willing to shell out for guys that perform is the reason for the big contract. Cro played even better than Patrick even though Pat does handle most #1 WRs! He deserves it because he’s a now 4-time Pro Bowler and ain’t slowing down. Why is this ALWAYS an issue it seems like with the Cardinals?! Most great franchises/teams in the NFL don’t have this as a potential issue every year!

28. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2015 | Reply

Eazy —

RE: “potential issue”

I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve money. I’m saying they aren’t going to break the bank for a guy over 30. They’ll go young.

29. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 25, 2015 | Reply

Dr G,

Murray; No. Why? I like Ellington and would look for a complimentary back like Johnson in the draft. Murray is a guy who is the bell cow who needs 25 carries a game.

If I was ready to give up on Ellington, I would draft Cobb. But I am not ready.

Austin Davis was terrible in the games vs the cards. Just was so disappointed in what I saw in those games, can’t imagine taking him.

30. By Mark on Jan 26, 2015 | Reply

Why don’t the Cardinals use signing bonuses more to hide the package like other teams? Give Cro a 5 year deal with a big signing bonus. Lower his actual salary. Bottom line is he is gone. No matter what the Cardinals give him, he is a Jet next year. The Jets will have another losing season. Todd was a good, not great coordinator. He is not ready to be a head coach and I don’t think he ever will be. Being New York, I see him looking for a job in less than 2 years when the press and the people demand it. Re-sign Dockett and Fitz. That is the priority. Look for another veteran linebacker, Foote will more than likely retire or if he comes back he will be used a lot less. We have some great back up players that actually did better than the starters did, especially in the defensive back field.
    On another note, loved the crowd booing the Lake Squabs at the pro bowl! Win or lose, we hate them and their players are all scum bags. After the remarks Sherman made last night, he should be suspended for the Superbowl. They think they can say or do anything they want and get away with it. Can’t wait to see them grab their crotch and get fined and penalized. GO PATRIOTS!! (can’t stand either team but HATE the squabs even more!).

31. By Dr. G. on Jan 26, 2015 | Reply

jtdg – – Murray? I think Ellington would be a supplement with him. Ells is a scat, and we need a dozer back there for what BA wants to do. BA ran Ells into the clinic. He admitted later on ((in one of Darren’s quoted writings)) that it was an error to pound him like that. So, BA will not use him like that again… Now what?

If the Cards backed Murray off to maybe 18 or so, he would be fresh and last a lot longer, and gave Ellington & Co. the rest to include some catches, that would be a good combo… I’m probably just whistling in the wind…Dallas may not let him get away…Jones is a big spender…too much $$$$ anyway. But, it would be good to see happen.

With a mid round pick, Mike Davis could be helpful with his low center of gravity and size…with the proper discipline and coaching. Your thought??

On Austin Davis, I don’t think his stats look all that bad. He was basically tossed to the lions and performed well for a basic rookie. Do you remember that he beat Seattle and the 9ers? He is young and would be a very good back up if he did not pan out.. We agree on Stanton…. .be well.

32. By Scott H on Jan 27, 2015 | Reply

clssylssy –

Hey, ya know what? You can sell me on Bethel being the next RETURN GUY real easy. I am more than OK with that. After the season we just endured with Ginn??? Please. You could sell me on just about anybody to be the next return guy. You could sell me on Carson Palmer being the next return guy. As long as it ain’t Ted Ginn!

Seriously, I would like to hear or to HAVE heard some type of acknowledgement from the organization that Ginn was a HUGE disappointment last season. Even more so, I would like to hear some type of explanation as to why no one else was given a chance to return some kicks after it became apparent that Ginn had no interest in doing so.

They can tell us that right after they explain why Butler kept his job when he was not even an AVERAGE punter by NFL standards.

Bidwell, Keim, and BA have my utmost respect. They really do. But IMHO, those situations were TERRIBLY mis-handled and it would be nice to hear SOMETHING from someone as to why it played out as it did. Were special teams REALLY that un-important? Because it seems like they were .

2. Jan 25, 2015: Arizona Cardinals news 1/25: DeflateGate, Senior Bowl, Pro Bowl | nflfans247.net