“One of the young guys” will be defensive coordinator

Posted by Darren Urban on January 26, 2015 – 1:56 pm

The announcement won’t come until after the Super Bowl, Bruce Arians said Monday, but he knows who his defensive coordinator is going to be — and it’ll be, as expected, a in-house hire.

“The defensive coordinator will come off our staff,” Arians said during an appearance on ESPN’s “NFL Insiders” show. “It’ll be one of the young guys. And we’ll bring in some guys to help him.

“We’ll wait until the Super Bowl is over but we’ve got everything in place and we’re ready to go.”

Looking at the “young guys” on the Cardinals’ staff — and young can be a moving target on a staff that features the 62-year-old Arians and a couple of coaches well into their 70s — the possibility of outside linebackers coach James Bettcher seems to fit the bill. Bettcher has long been highly thought of among the coaches he has worked for. (Along the “young” lines, defensive line coach Brentson Buckner would also qualify, but I’d think Bettcher would be the candidate.)

As for bringing in “some guys to help,” that could be anyone now that Dick LeBeau has passed up the chance to come to the Cardinals. But again, that’s been the thought this whole time, that the Cards would have a younger DC and have a mentor with him. It now just sounds like it’ll be a waiting game until next week — Monday maybe? — to get official word.

— Arians reiterated he hopes Carson Palmer is the quarterback for the Cardinals “for about three more years,” and that he again really likes the future potential of Logan Thomas. Arians added that Palmer is about a month ahead of schedule coming back from his ACL injury.

BAonESPN

Tags: , , , ,

38 Responses to ““One of the young guys” will be defensive coordinator”

1. By Chuck 1 on Jan 26, 2015 | Reply

BA said that he AGAIN “really likes the future potential of Logan Thomas”.

HUH???

Is that the same BA that said “Levi Brown is an elite tackle”???

2. By Big Ken on Jan 26, 2015 | Reply

Well glad there has been a decision. Still would like to see see, Wade Phillips come in as a ‘consultant’. I wonder if the older coaches don’t want the pressure and aggravation of HC or coordinator, but still want to be involved at some level.

3. By tkm on Jan 26, 2015 | Reply

maybe BA has been wrong a couple of times,but you tell me anyone else that would have had the same record the last 2 years as him. without proper leadership and respect for the whole staff,these last 2 years would have come apart like cheap toilet paper.you have your opinion ,but there is no one else who could have pulled this year off.with palmer or Stanton we would have been major player in playoffs.but that is not how it worked out,could have been easy for the team to just crumble.that’s where the head coach and staff come in ,and they did pretty darn good.diehard fan since 1965,lots of rough years,i’ll take 2 in row like this on a regular basis,michael bidwell,BA,and kleim,take them all day long.

4. By azdesertrat1953 on Jan 26, 2015 | Reply

Hey Chuck 1 are you new?

That’s the way BA tells you that if this player does not become an “elite player”, that player is Gone.
    It did not take long before Levi Brown was gone, when he showed BA and Keim just how elite he was going to be, was it Chuck 1?

GO CARDS!!!

5. By tkm on Jan 26, 2015 | Reply

I think I spelled steve’s last name wrong–sorry

6. By Dynosoar on Jan 26, 2015 | Reply

Levi Brown was an elite tackle. Then he got to the NFL. Too bad, but that happens to a lot of elite college players.

I’m really curious to see what happens with Logan Thomas, will he or won’t he improve this offseason enough to keep? Should be fun to watch.

I like Brenston Buckner, but I don’t know how good he is at coach. I just always see him congratulating and smiling with whomever makes a big play and with his huge beard, he’s hard to miss.

I hope ya’ll enjoy the Super Bowl, I’ll be Settling Catan or perhaps creating my own little Dominion. No sour grapes, just no real interest in either team.

7. By tkm on Jan 26, 2015 | Reply

hell I think I spelled bidwill wrong also,oh well I hope you get the point

8. By Andy Kw on Jan 26, 2015 | Reply

Bruce Arians called Levi Brown an elite tackle because every time he played, Larry Fitzgerald produced.

9. By Andy Kw on Jan 26, 2015 | Reply

Tom Pratt is young, over 70 and still going strong.

10. By Dr. G. on Jan 26, 2015 | Reply

We don’t always realize that the HC can have some bright lights come on during the first couple years at the helm… I won’t go into some of the most obvious discoveries that BA has realized, but I sincerely hope that his statements on Logan are the real thing.

A couple of our posters who are fairly analytically, are ready to give up on Logan. I’m am thinking one of BA’s ((bright lights)) conclusions is that he needs to get Logan the coaching and reps needed to get him up to speed… I SAW HIM IN CAMP PRE-SEASON..THE TALENT IS THERE..!! YOU CANNOT TEACH “”THE CANNON ARM” He just needs to develop the confidence with a little time and not hear the coach rip him in the media.

Again, he has the size and physical attributes that cannot be taught. No one in the draft for the past few years could develop into what Logan can become with the proper help…. If that is not your opinion, Coach BA, get rid of him and go another direction. Palmer is short term now…. The future is NOW…

11. By Steve on Jan 26, 2015 | Reply

Darren: Your still a young guy and on the Cards payroll, why don’t you take that DC job?

12. By Darren Urban on Jan 26, 2015 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Young guy

I don’t feel young. I’m trending to missing the demographic, I’m sorry to say.

Plus I don’t want to have you guys criticize me all the time.😉

13. By Coach K on Jan 26, 2015 | Reply

Chuck 1

What else can BA say about Logan Thomas. He went there, worked him out, and liked him.

I’m sure BA had no idea the kid could not hit the side of a barn.

Logan needs to be remolded into a slash type player. A tight end, H-back type that can play offense, and also serve as an emergency quarterback if needed.

I think Logan could become another Jimmy Graham type tight end that can run and make acrobatic catches. He sure has more upside than Housler…that’s for sure. I say make him a tight end and an emergency quarterback.

Logan “Slash” Thomas makes a lot of sense to me.

TE, QB, H-Back, Athlete.

14. By Coach K on Jan 26, 2015 | Reply

POST-SENIOR BOWL UPDATED CARDINALS MOCK DRAFT

1. T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pitt
    2. Hauoli Kikaha, OLB, Washington
    3. Denzel Perryman, ILB, Miami
    4. David Cobb, RB, Minnesota
    5. Max Garcia, C-G, Florida
    6. Adam Shead, G, Oklahoma
    7. Sean Mannion, QB, Oreg. St.

I have loaded up on O-line and linebackers in this draft. Had to keep Cobb
    as a solid mid round running back with great size and speed, and moved
    Mannion down to round 7 for his average performance at Senior Bowl. I
    still think he has potential to develop and we need someone to compete
    with Logan next year.

15. By rod (Eddie Goldman RD1) on Jan 27, 2015 | Reply

Suzy Culver is a cutie, her eyes even smile.

16. By jasonc on Jan 27, 2015 | Reply

JTDG-

To continue a conversation on a previous post about the QB of the future situation. I find it interesting that you are willing to use a draft pick this season to draft a QB when you were opposed to it last year. Knowing that Carson will be the starter, Drew will be the backup and with reps scarce for a 3rd string QB you’d have them split between a 4/5th round pick and Thomas? Or worse you’d spend our first round pick on Hundley, who honestly would need development similar to Thomas to run this offense. I know what your fears are; we all remember the sudden retirement of Kurt Warner and the three years of terrible QB play that followed, but I’m willing to let BA determine Thomas’s potential. I’m 100% sure that if Logan doesn’t make the progressions BA determines then he won’t be here, and I’m ok with that. I agree with your assessment of most players and they are not unfair in my opinion, however you are an instant gratification kind of fan and because of that you refuse to allow for the possibility of players to progress. We’ve had a bad rash of injuries Cooper, Ellington, Okafor, Mathieu and Swope; 5 of the 8 picks had injures 4 of those have been on IR and one medically retired. This will be the first offseason with all of these guys coming in healthy and ready to compete (except for Swope obviously), add to that it’s their 3rd year and this is when we can fairly evaluate this class.

On another topic; I know you didn’t say Hundley in the first but I don’t see how he’d last that deep in the second, but who is your pick for the first round this year? I’d like to know your realistic pick and your “wish” pick.

17. By D on Jan 27, 2015 | Reply

Is the Card’s dome the same size as ASU’s dome?

I don’t want to hear about InflateGate next week if it rains tomorrow and the media finds out that the Cards dome is bigger than ASU which would give the Patriots some how an advantage on their win.

Can we please just get to the game and skip all the noise????

18. By Eric G on Jan 27, 2015 | Reply

Doubt it’s Betcher. I think Arians is being cute and calling the 58 year old Rapone a young guy, which is true considering the age of the staff.

Either way, I hope the new DC calls the same amount of blitzes and doesn’t go into prevent (yourself from winning) defense at the end of the halves.

19. By dliwsrekoj on Jan 27, 2015 | Reply

First off, name me a coach who has coached the Arizona Cardinals to back to back winning seasons, then name me a coach who actually took each player and put them a role where they shined. Ken whisenhunt? Lol ken did okay. But Warner ran the team.
    Second off, the arizona cardinals have never had a strong offense, this year alone the produced one of the finest cores of wide receivers, tight ends, and had a solid offensive line, with Carson Palmer at helm he produce 11 td’s and only 2 ints before coming down. All the haters need to realize that these cards went 9-1 with all their injuries, we’re not expected to make he playoffs, and were predicted to go 9-7, they went 11-5. Now you tell me what’s wrong with that picture so I can just shut you up and turn you away from football so you can focus on figure ice skating (men’s)

20. By Jacob Hewitt on Jan 27, 2015 | Reply

supper bowl

21. By Chuck 1 on Jan 27, 2015 | Reply

Coach K,

To refresh our minds about what BA said (above): Arians …”again really likes the future potential of Logan Thomas.”

You write, “He went there, worked him out, and liked him. I’m sure BA had no idea the kid could not hit the side of a barn.”
    If he worked Thomas out and liked him, why would he not know that he couldn’t hit the (broad) side of a barn?
    As I wrote a few threads ago, I see Thomas as a TE (or playing another position) at the latest, by 2016. I agree with you.

BA didn’t say that he “likes the future potential of Thomas” AS A QB!!!

22. By carlo milano on Jan 27, 2015 | Reply

i love BA
    but still doubt about his evaluation about qbs,logan thomas doesnt have the accuracy and the ability to read defenses,lindley doesnt have anything,he get some good paycheck even if he doesnt have anithyng to do with professional football
    we use to have great coach here recently but a bit stubborn

23. By NJAzCardsFan on Jan 27, 2015 | Reply

Thomas as a TE combined with Fells on the other side would be an interesting combo. What DB’s could cover them height wise…???

24. By Big Ken on Jan 27, 2015 | Reply

I don’t know if I’d burn my first or second rounder on TJ Clemmings. It sounds like he’s got the upside, but still needs some coaching. This year’s draft is deep with good OLs. And please no more bumbling Ted Larsen.

25. By Scott H on Jan 27, 2015 | Reply

Dang it, why not Wade Phillips??? He certainly fits the age group of the rest of the coaching staff!

Well, whoever it is, here’s hoping for another DC that is so great that he, too, will be gone after 2 seasons ( because someone will pluck him to be their next HC, of course ).

The guy they REALLY should be looking at / for is someone from the SEAHAWKS staff. Seriously. Do THEY have a young guy who looks ready to move up to DC? You could NOT go wrong by bringing someone from THAT staff over here.

26. By ted on Jan 27, 2015 | Reply

first of all Jay Ajayi is better then David Cobb and SECOND Sign backup Free Agent Kellen Moore he could beat out Stanton or Logan .

If Stanton and Dan Orlovsky have identical stats and Moore out played Orlovsky why waste a roster spot on Logan AS a QB or a draft pick on a QB when you can get Kellen Moore very cheap

27. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 27, 2015 | Reply

jasonc,

I did a mock draft and mock off season on the blog “Free Agent swaying and Cro”

A way too early version, but it is a start.

Yes, I wanted to draft a QB, but I am not sold on the QBs in this draft. So I went a different direction and thought it would be wise to kick the tires on Jake Locker ( He would back up Palmer )

As for the draft, I would take any two of these 4 players in round 1 and 2.
    Nate Orchard OLB
    Arik Armstead DE
    Zadarius Smith OLB ( I believe he can convert)
    Carl Davis NT / DE

28. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 28, 2015 | Reply

Coach K,

Not a bad draft.

Cummings has only played 2 years at OT and could be a risk, Talented yes, but inexperienced.

Is Kikaha another Koa Misi? I remember everyone raving about Misi’s motor and quickness and he never became a sack guy. Kikaha looks the part and his 13 sacks are impressive. But he also had the amazing Danny Shelton pushing the pocket inside to take away the step up. Just not sure about him.

Perryman is talented but 5’10-5’11” ???

I do love Cobb. But he is a guy you can build the offense around, meaning good bye Ellington. Cobb is a 3 down back, so are we ready to see Ellington get 5 touches a game?

Potentially could be a good draft, but there are questions.
    OK, Coach K, how about this compromise.
    Nate Orchard in round 1
    but then go Jeremiah Poutasi at RG in the 2nd
    Then Darryl Williams at RT in the 3rd
    Then in the 4th Cobb or Johnson ( I prefer a 1-2 punch of Ellington and Johnson)

I still feel we have to go D line early, but maybe we address it in FA.

29. By Pablo on Jan 28, 2015 | Reply

I love BA, but Logan Thomas is not the future QB of this team. I think UCLA’s Brett Hundley would be a good pick if he’s still there in the 2nd rd, and you could always try and trade up in that round to get him. Bottom line, if Palmer gets hurt again, the offense is going to have serious problems.

30. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 28, 2015 | Reply

On a completely different subject;

We all know Bowles is off to the Jets. He needs pass rushers and CBs, so I could see him snatching up Cro and the best pass rushers available, if players aren’t signed , franchised, ect.

I also would think he needs to add talent at WR and QB. Hmmm.

Anyone see any trade possibilities between the cards and jets?
    Stanton ? Floyd ? Do i say it …. Fitz ??

As I think about it, why would Arians send Fitz to NE with his pal taking over in NY ?

Just thinking out loud. Am I off base?

31. By clssylssy on Jan 28, 2015 | Reply

See where Fansided announced that the Cards have promoted former LB coach
    James Bettcher to DC and that Arians plans to make the announcement after the Superbowl. In other news former Cardinal Marcel Shipp has been named as RB coach for the Jets by Todd Bowles, which kinda makes me feel like we’re missing the boat standing around while everyone else is getting there act together for the coming season. It’s great that the SB is here and all, but I guess I don’t see why life should stand still during this very critical time of the year when it’s a staff grab and the best people are going elsewhere. I’m probably the only one who is getting antsy…or maybe not? Waiting for the other shoe to drop (seeing what players we will lose) has never been my thing!

32. By Louisville Card on Jan 28, 2015 | Reply

@JTDG

I haven’t heard that much about your picks but they are area’s of need…I personally think they should go…

1. Gerod Holliman – S UOfL
    I know they picked Buchanon last year but he seems better fitted to the position he played this year. Leave him where he’s at and pick Holliman. The kid is the second coming of Ed Reed. 14 Ints this year that’s more than half the teams have total.

2. Lorenzo Mauldin – OLB UofL
    This kid is a baby Darnell Dockett watch some of his tape he’s always around the ball and on top of qb’s.

3. James Sample – CB UofL
    He’s a playmaker reminds me a little of Cromartie…

4. Jamon Brown – OT UofL

5. Dominique Brown – RB UofL

There’s my homer draft but all would make great additions…

33. By Coach K on Jan 28, 2015 | Reply

JTDG

I could go with your draft. As long as we address the linebacker and offensive
    guard positions, I’m good. I still like Cobb as the back. Ajayi is good also, but he will be taken by the third round. Better value is Cobb in round three. Don’t know much about Johnson, but if he’s big and delivers a punch, I’d be open to it.

I think Cummings will slide, in fact, he may slide out of round one. If that happens, then I have to take the multi-position center from Florida State Cameron Erving who can play any position. He was absolutely a dominating player at the center position driving defenders deep into the second level.

34. By Dr. G. on Jan 28, 2015 | Reply

Jtdg…jasonc… A trade of Fitz? Certainly, but he must re-do his deal. I would like to see Stanton & PP traded for some picks. I said Stanton is not a starter 2 years ago.

PP will remain what he was in 2014; there would be no let down with others on the roster if he could go. No team would accept his preposterous contract guarantee though. Again, I have to give Keim a mulligan on that one. He would love a do-over. He’s still a SS in disguise.

And yeah, jtdg, I am not enamored with his persona, but he is a major disappointment and he will not improve on the field…can’t see it.

NO WAY FLOYD GOES!

This QB situation remains to be upgraded…now…not later….be well

35. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 29, 2015 | Reply

Louisville Card,

I’ll take Jamon Brown in the 5th or 6th. I think that is all I can do from your beloved U of L.

Mauldin actually did well in coverage at the senior bowl. 3rd or 4th round guy to me. But I like others ahead of him.

Safeties? We have enough safeties right now.

2. Jan 27, 2015: Arizona Cardinals news 1/27: DC announcement coming, Pro Bowlers miss Hawaii | nflfans247.net
  3. Jan 27, 2015: Arizona Cardinals to announce ‘one of the young guys’ as DC next week | nflfans247.net
  4. Jan 28, 2015: Cardinals Blogs | Mathieu has confidence in new DC, same scheme