On Hall, Warner will “let it play out”

Posted by Darren Urban on January 27, 2015 – 2:39 pm

Kurt Warner was going to be here for the Super Bowl anyway, with his duties for the NFL Network. He was at U.S. Airways Center Tuesday for Media Day, answering questions from whomever might ask (including former Olympic gymnast/Inside Edition correspondent Shawn Johnson, who, like Warner, is a Dancing with the Stars alum. That’s the picture below.)

But the big day for Warner comes Saturday, when the Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee whittles down the final group of 15 — within which Warner qualified — to the Class of 2015. It is Warner’s first year on the ballot.

“I’ve tried to just live life and not get too bogged down with this whole process,” the former Cardinals quarterback said. “I’m enjoying it. I’m honored to be in the final 15. As I’ve told people, whenever it gets to a cut, you start to realize how much more gravity it has to it. Right now, ‘Hey, I’m one of the 15. That’s crazy.’ Come Saturday, I’m sure we’re all going to feel the gravity of what the decision to get into the Hall of Fame means, what that looks like big picture to us.

“Right now, I’m so honored to be in the 15 with the great, talented players. So many players I’ve played against, people that I know that are great people, that I’m just honored to be in the class. We’ll let it play out.”

At this point, Warner’s spot in the Hall of Fame seems to be more a question of when, not if. It’s hard to make it to the final 15 the very first year you are on the ballot if you aren’t already considered a guy who is worthy. Maybe it will happen on his first chance, maybe not. It would certainly be a nice coincidence given that the Super Bowl and Hall announcement is in Arizona.

“My only hope is that, when it comes to Saturday and they call you or knock on your door, whatever, I just don’t want it to be any kind of a disappointment for anybody,” Warner said. “We all are honored to be in this class and be in the top 15, and I’m worried that if you don’t get that knock on your door, you walk out (disappointed). Hey, I’m one of the 265 best players to ever play this game, so to speak, and I’m pretty cool with that. I’m good with that. I want this to be a joyous time, and if I get in, what an amazing honor. It’ll be a great ride.”

Warner1bloghall

Tags: , , ,

20 Responses to “On Hall, Warner will “let it play out””

1. By georgiebird on Jan 27, 2015 | Reply

Warner belongs in the HOF. Warner took two of the most downtrodden teams in the NFL to the SB. In the case of the Cardinals, Warner came close to writing the greatest story in the NFL since the 1969 Jets victory over the Colts.
    Just what happened to the Cardinals in the years after Warner’s retirement shows that Warner was one of the biggest difference makers in the history of the league.

2. By LadyBird04 on Jan 27, 2015 | Reply

Hope he gets in this year as next year I believe Favre is eligible for the HOF – I don’t see them putting in two qb’s the same year. Warner means so much to the Card fans as he gave us hope and allowed us to believe our favorite team would finally become relevant in the NFL.

3. By William Barry on Jan 27, 2015 | Reply

Kurt Warner deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. Period. Look what he has accomplished in his career.

4. By Scott H on Jan 27, 2015 | Reply

Yup. He’ll get there, no doubt. Not much, anyway. This year? I don’t see why not.

I wonder who he will have introduce him….I would imagine Dick Vermeil would be at the top of the list of considerations. Or maybe Marshall Faulk? OR maybe one Lawrence Fitzgerald? How cool would THAT be???? And why not? He and Fitz were magic together, and Fitz was absolutely a BIG part of the late-career success Warner had. IMHO, Fitz was THE best WR Warner ever threw to. And when ya consider that Torry Holt and Issac Bruce and Anquan Boldin are all in that conversation…..wow.

Ultimately, I think what Warner did with the Cardinals is somehow more significant than what he did in St Louis. Because during those greatest-show-on-turf years, he had Marshall Faulk who was just about as GREAT an all-purpose RB as the NFL has ever seen. Faulk could do it ALL. And he did. And he was at his peak when Warner was there. Faulk helped set the stage and Kurt added the fireworks with his passing ability. Having three track stars at WR certainly didn’t hurt!

But in Arizona, there was never a Marshall Faulk. There was nothing even remotely close to a Marshall Faulk. So, it really was more about the passing game and it had to come from Warner. First few years were not so great, But once he got Boldin and Fitzgerald in the arsenal, Todd Haley to design the offense to his strengths, and started wearing that glove….it was on!

I think what he did in St Louis alone would not be enough to get him in the HOF. There needed to be more than just that. And I think his late-career years in Arizona got him over the wall.

5. By George jefferson on Jan 27, 2015 | Reply

The rams are not one of those down trodden teams they have won 2 championships,
    Serveral NFC West titles along with conference titles and 3 SB
    Appearances. Winning 1 ….displayed an offense for 3 years that has gone down in history by name and proformance ( Greatest show on turf …..GSOT) THATS NOT DOWN TRODDEN .

6. By JohnnyBluenose on Jan 28, 2015 | Reply

Darren, re-read your post from May 2013 when Marcel Shipp was added to our coaching staff. It was interesting to read the story and then read the comments. It’s funny sometimes to see where the comments take us. Your story was about Shipp and there were certainly lots of comments about him. And then someone asked when we were bringing Jake Plummer back and that brought forth a whole lot of great comments about Jake including the comebacks he led and tearing the goalposts down. Great memories for sure.

7. By clssylssy on Jan 28, 2015 | Reply

What a great guy and somebody definitely deserving of being enshrined along with the other greats of the game in the Hall. However, Warner was only part of two great teams that made appearances at the SB and was surrounded by a cast of players as talented as himself first “The Greatest Show on Turf” and then with the Cards magical miracle season of the ’08 SB. He would be the first to acknowledge the amazing team effort of the these two teams, his fellow players and coaches.
    Many Cards fans don’t understand that it takes more than a QB to win games and often times the failure to repeat lies further up the food chain with the Owners and GMs, having little to do with the players or coaching staff. What many don’t look at is the other guys who left when Warner did because the Cards didn’t want to pay them after they had achieved success never before know to the Cardinal Organization (back-to-back Division Championships and a Conference Championship). Of course, guys always leave, but in part, the secret of the Seahawk’s success is keeping player turnover to a minimum and insuring continuity. This can’t be done unless the Owner/GM is willing to pay up and reward players for a job well done.
    I think it’s great that Kurt Warner is being recognized and I believe he will stand a good shot at making it in on the first ballot. His story is what the NFL needs these days to keep hope alive for the players coming up and to help take some of the tarnish off The Shield. Just like kids wanting to believe in Santa Clause, fans still want to believe this is the old NFL we remember and Kurt Warner has become a Superhero to many because he’s a symbol of what we want to believe in. I’ll be cheering for him but, in this case, I believe it’s just humbling and such an honor to be included with the others in his class, all legends; making it into the final fifteen on the first year of elgibility is winning, the rest is just a formality.

8. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 28, 2015 | Reply

George Jefferson,

The rams were the worst team in the 1990’s. Look it up.

As for Kurt Warner;

Vermil arrived and turned them around. Got to wonder what Trent Green would have done? Injuries gave back up Kurt his chance. It was a perfect marriage of player and scheme.

Warner wasn’t the same player with the giants or with Denny Green’s west coast offense. It wasn’t till he partnered up with Whiz, who went back to what Kurt was good at, that made the perfect marriage again.

Kurt wasn’t in the right offense and frankly wasn’t that good with Green Bay. He stuck with it through arena and world league and honed his craft of getting the ball quickly out to his play makers. When paired in an offense that allowed him to do this, he became great.

But let’s not forget, he had Torrey Holt and Isaac Bruce along with Faulk in St Louis and Fitz, Boldin and Breaston here.

So, did he find the right situations with HOFers around him and the right system or did he make the players better and the system work?

Being that Faulk, Boldin, Fitz, Holt, Bruce all did well before and after Warner, I have to believe he thrived in the right situation of coaches and players.

Therefore, I love Warner and think he is amazing, for sending us to our first Super bowl , but he is not a first ballet HOFer.

9. By Scott H on Jan 28, 2015 | Reply

Not related to this ( AT ALL ) but I really can’t help but be thoroughly amused by all this hub-bub around Marshawn Lynch and his thing about talking to the media.

Seriously, WHY do players have to talk???? WHAT does Lynch have to say that anyone thinks is going to be all that enlightening??? Hey if he is playing for my team and playing as well as he does for the Seahawks, that is good enough for me! He doesn’t want to talk? That is more than OK with me. Show up on Sunday and do your job as a player ON THE FIELD, and we’re good.

Leave the guy alone. He’s a football player, not a stand-up performer.

10. By Darren Urban on Jan 28, 2015 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Players talking

11. By clssylssy on Jan 28, 2015 | Reply

On a different note, I’ve been very impressed with how articulate and personable our players have been during interviews about various aspect of the SB and other players. Tyrann Mathieu, Antonio Cromartie, Patrick Peterson all gave excellent interviews and it’s great to have some Cardinals on hand giving us some visible representation. Warner’s interview with Tom Brady was especially good and I hope to see more of our guys as the week goes on!

12. By georgiebird on Jan 28, 2015 | Reply

@ George jeffererson
    Didn’t mean to say the Rams didn’t have a rich history. Just that the 9 previous Rams’ seasons before Warner weren’t too good. Those nine years before Warner brought 9 consecutive losing seasons and a record of 45-99.

13. By Ken C on Jan 28, 2015 | Reply

John the Draft Guy, as a Rams fan I have to correct your mistake about the Rams. They were NOT the worst team of the 90s. That distinction goes to the Cincinnati Bengals. If you recall there was a toilet bowl game the 3rd game of the year between that would have given the loser 100 (I believe that was the number) losses in the 90s. The Rams, behind Kurt, Marshall, Bruce and the gang won that game. Did the Rams stink that decade ya but we weren’t the worst lol.

14. By Scott H on Jan 28, 2015 | Reply

Darren –

Thanks for the link. And I get that the NFL has rules about this. But my question still stands – WHY is this necessary? Why have rules that people HAVE to talk? I’ll never understand that.

One thing that occurs to me is this – since the advent of twitter, how many times have we seen pro atheletes getting themselves in trouble for stuff they put out there? There have been tons of incidents. And that is because twitter gives too many people an outlet for saying whatever comes to mind – even when they shouldn’t. Too many people lack that filter, that restraint that helps them regulate themselves. So, twitter can be a problem in the hands of people who are prone to being emotional and speaking out of that emotion. Football is a game fueled by emotion. So, it would follow that its players are emotional people.

Maybe Marshawn Lynch knows this. Maybe he knows himself well enough to know that speaking to the media is a forum where he just does not come across well. In other words, maybe he actually DOES have the filter that so many other players lack, even if his way of exercising it is somewhat primitive. Maybe by doing what he does, he is protecting himself from himself. And if ANY player is truly that un-comfortable in that forum, then he shouldn’t be forced into it.

The other issue I have is the media’s need to be so right on top of people at moments of emotionality that make them particularly vulnerable. Because look what happens when they do – they get scenes and sound-bites that give them something to broadcast / write about / talk about for the next 5 days. In other words, it serves the media’s purposes very well.

Geez, look at Sherman’s rant after the NFC title game last year. You catch a volatile player about one minute after he makes the play that sends his team to a SB AND against a player he has a bit of history with. That was a slam dunk for the media and they got a million miles out of that one. Yet, if Sherman had had a little while to come down from that moment, maybe he doesn’t come off as a raving lunatic. BUT what serves the media’s purpose better? Sherman as a raving lunatic or Sherman in a much more composed state? Please. They couldn’t get to him fast enough. They had better coverage on him than he had on Michael Crabtree!

15. By dieselbomb on Jan 29, 2015 | Reply

@ Scott H –

Sherman IS a raving lunatic.

After that game, and just before that alleged interview, they should’ve drug-tested the jerk. I think he wouldn’t have been playing today; not after a season-long suspension, anyway.

He IS the very best “Cover only one-third of the field” Cornerbacks in the league.

He thinks highly of himself, therefore, no one need say a thing about him … he already has that “covered” (I’m just wondering if that would be considered ‘Cover 2’?).

His Crabtree rants are a loud admission of his fears. Who wants to hear him at all, much less about his obsessive jealousy?

16. By Scott H on Jan 29, 2015 | Reply

dieselbomb –

OK. I have to respectfully disagree with you. Despite his “raving lunatic” tendencies, I think Sherman is one of THE most intelligent ( FOOTBALL intelligence ) players on the planet right now. And I think anyone who has had a chance to get to know this kid at all would tell you the same.

He should have been drug tested??? Seriously??? First, I would be careful about making those kind of allegations. I vehemently disagree with you here. Because he IS such an intelligent guy, I say there is NO WAY he would put his career or his team at risk by using drugs. I think he and Fitz are cut from exactly the same cloth in that they respect the game, they respect their bodies, they respect the rules, and they are driven to be the best simply through hard work and preparation.

They may differ in their outward presentation ( and I’m grateful for that! ) but I believe they are both driven by the same internal motivation.

17. By tentpeg107 on Jan 29, 2015 | Reply

I caught a game on NBC Sunday Night Football about a month- a month and a half ago. Chris Collinsworth made a comment about the QB who was leading his team (I think it was Peyton Manning) and he said their was only one other QB who could do this particular thing, Kurt Warner. Two QB’s, out of all the QB’s who have ever played the game. I thought, “Wow, that’s high praise, indeed.”

A couple of other things to consider: Boldin was the only one who was already “established” (based on his well-established work ethic). Fitz learned how to be a bona-fide star NFL WR because of KW’s demands, and Breaston did as well (by working his buttocks off and learning what KW was dishing out).

So in a sense the Rams were loaded already, KW had to put the pieces together here–and the difference at RB was dramatic, Hall of Famer Marshall Faulk vs. Edgerrin James and Tim Hightower. Oh yeah, there was also a dramatic difference at the OL–particularly LT. St. Louis: Orlando Pace. KW has said multiple times that in St. Louis he never had to worry about any pressure coming from the backside. Here, he had Levi Brown, who never should have been a tackle to begin with, let alone a Left Tackle (a Guard, not a Tackle).

Kurt Warner inherited a team that he only made better in St. Louis. He changed the culture of a team in Arizona. Made us believe we could win again. Passed the torch on to Bruce Arians. But that change in Arizona puts him over the top as far as a first time Hall of Famer. If it was just about the rags to riches story of KW in St. Louis he would get in, but not on the first ballot. What he did for the Cardinals makes him worthy of getting in on the first ballot.

18. By Scott H on Jan 30, 2015 | Reply

JTDG –

Honestly, I think I credit Haley more with Warner’s resurrection than I would Whiz.

2. Jan 28, 2015: 1/28 Arizona Cardinals news: Crazy media day coverage, Warner calm about HOF | nflfans247.net
  3. Feb 5, 2016: Cardinals Blogs | Warner’s chances for Hall of Fame 2016