The locker of the Kwan (not the ‘Quan)

Posted by Darren Urban on February 3, 2015 – 2:01 pm

Took another stroll downstairs as the building renovations of the Cardinals’ Tempe facility go on, as noted yesterday. Most of the lockers have been taken out, and soon, many of the walls themselves will be demolished in the overhaul. But there are still a handful of lockers still standing — including that of Rod Tidwell (pictured below, third from the right).

TidwelllockerUSE

You remember Tidwell, the Cardinals’ erstwhile 1,000-yard receiver of the mid-1990s whose smaller size sometimes took away what he brought to the table as a playmaker. He eventually learned to use that chip on his shoulder as motivation (Think Steve Smith before Steve Smith). Good thing too, because it eventually got him a big contract.

You can see Tidwell at his locker in the clip below. Not sure what TV station happened to capture it that day — or why they were allowed to keep rolling on what looks like a pretty private conversation between Tidwell and his agent — but it forever immortalizes Tidwell’s spot in the soon-to-be gone locker room.

Tags: , ,

18 Responses to “The locker of the Kwan (not the ‘Quan)”

1. By hummer53 on Feb 3, 2015 | Reply

Classic. One of the mistakes that a lot of people missed in the movie. The last game in the movie was the ‘home’ game against the Cowboys right? But Rod’s whole family decided to stay home and watch it on TV. Go figure.

2. By Darren Urban on Feb 3, 2015 | Reply

hummer —

RE: Family at home

With Tidwell and the team bumping heads about the new contract, Tidwell wasn’t willing to buy a bunch of tickets — and pay the organization — for his family. It was tense around here for a while, but it all worked out in the end. That Roy Firestone interview was epic.

3. By vincemarotta on Feb 3, 2015 | Reply

Wait…hadn’t Mrs. Tidwell just have a baby prior to the Monday Night game? That would explain why she wasn’t there, but that doesn’t explain his militant brother Tee Pee being absent.

4. By vincemarotta on Feb 3, 2015 | Reply

Wow…terribly written by me. I meant “Hadn’t Mrs. Tidwell just given birth prior to the Monday Night game?” There, I feel better now.

5. By Darren Urban on Feb 3, 2015 | Reply

Vince —

RE: Baby

That, of course, explains why she wasn’t there. But it was definitely the paying-for-tickets ruckus why other family members didn’t attend.

6. By Patrick Eagan on Feb 3, 2015 | Reply

Whats the latest on Daryl Washington? Is he good to go for the season?

7. By Darren Urban on Feb 4, 2015 | Reply

Patrick —

RE: DWash

8. By Steve on Feb 3, 2015 | Reply

Darren: Interesting how that movie got actor Cuba Gooding Jr an Oscar for his portrayal of Rod Tidwell but his acting career went downhill after the movie. You do not see him much anymore.

9. By KRTidwell85 on Feb 3, 2015 | Reply

Ahhh….as my last name actually IS Tidwell, I have my custom jersey #85 with that name on the back…..Never goes out of style, wont get traded, released, LOL. Any idea on whether the last name for the movie was a play on Bidwell??

10. By Darren Urban on Feb 4, 2015 | Reply

KRT —

RE: Name

Since the name is Bidwill, I do not think so. But who knows?

11. By andystandsup on Feb 3, 2015 | Reply

Is it true Tidwell’s character was based on former Cards safety Tim McDonald?
    And that a human head actually weighs 12 pounds, not 8, Darren?

12. By Darren Urban on Feb 4, 2015 | Reply

andystands —

RE: Questions

I didn’t know you still roamed these parts, Andy.

13. By D on Feb 4, 2015 | Reply

I assume the new DC James Bettcher doesn’t “complete me” soon to be free agent O’Brien Schofield

14. By Scott H on Feb 4, 2015 | Reply

Shame we didn’t have Cuba Gooding Jr returning punts for us last year. Probably would have done a better job than Ted Ginn.

15. By JohnnyBluenose on Feb 4, 2015 | Reply

@Steve….yes, we have not seen much of Cuba Gooding Jr. lately. I live in Nova Scotia and last year, near where I live, a made-for-tv mini series was filmed. The first three episodes have been aired and my wife is watching episode four as I write this. It is called THE BOOK OF NEGROES and Gooding Jr. plays one of the main characters. Quite a few movies have been filmed in this area over the years which have included actors Kevin Spacey, Julianna Moore, Cate Blanchett, Kathy Bates, Dennis Leary, Ethan Hawke, Sandra Bulloch, Patricia Heaton, Ray Liotta, Donald Sutherland, William Hurt, Sybil Sheppard just to name a few. And, best of all, about seven years ago Terry Bradshaw had a role in a movie that was filmed here. I happened to be there one day. It was raining and there was a break while they were moving some things around to shoot the next scene. Bradshaw grabbed an umbrella and went outside and did his imitation of Gene Kelly singing “I’m singin’ in the rain”. Bradshaw seemed like a regular guy who liked to have fun.

16. By T. Stone on Feb 5, 2015 | Reply

I was at that game in the movie. That is not Tidwell, its Rob Moore, and then the Cardinals had to decide if they were going to ” Show Larry Centers the Money” They didn’t. Great movie and I love the fact the Cards participated in it. But They should have Showed Larry C the money.

2. Feb 4, 2015: Arizona Cardinals news 2/4: Foote talks Beast Mode, Rod Tidwell’s locker | nflfans247.net
  3. Apr 1, 2016: Cardinals Blogs | Why you’d look back at Tidwell’s time