Cardinals 11th in NFL special teams rankings

Posted by Darren Urban on February 5, 2015 – 3:33 pm

The season for the Cardinals’ special teams had its highs and lows. Rookie kicker Chandler Catanzaro proved to be a find and made the first 17 field goals of his career. Return man Ted Ginn, save for one (very important) punt return for a touchdown, was disappointing in his work. Justin Bethel remained a Pro Bowl specialist. Punter Drew Butler had his struggles (especially in the playoffs) but the Cardinals were still one of the best teams in the league when it comes to blocking field goal attempts.

Overall special teams play isn’t easy to analyze — especially in the return game, when there are questions about how much the return man himself struggled or how much was his blocking. But Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News has long tried to tangibly rate what Ron Wolfley loves to call the “transition game.” And in Gosselin’s 2014 rankings, the Cardinals were actually 11th in the NFL in overall special teams.

Gosselin has 22 categories that he looks at, and the formula from there is simple: The best team in a category gets one point, the worst gets 32 points. Lowest score when those 22 categories are totaled is the best. This year, that was the Eagles, and that makes sense — Philly had Darren Sproles returning kicks, they had a record-setting rookie kicker, a good punter, and blocked six kicks (returning three blocked punts for touchdowns).

What’s most impressive for the Cardinals is their ranking of 11th (and there is a significant dropoff from 11 to 12) is that the Cards and Ginn were last in the NFL in kickoff return average at 19 yards per runback. They were also last in average starting point after kickoffs (the 19-yard line — ouch). But they were best in the league in punts downed inside the 20 (35, so Butler did do some things right).

There will be things different on the Cards’ special teams in 2015. The team is expected to move on from Ginn as a return man. And any roster change from year to year impacts special teams the most, because it’s those new rookies and back-half-of-the-roster players who make up the bulk of special teams work.

Dan Bailey, Justin Bethel

Tags: , , , , ,

43 Responses to “Cardinals 11th in NFL special teams rankings”

1. By Big Ken on Feb 5, 2015 | Reply

No surprise here and no need to replace the special teams coach. I would strap Ted Ginn to a rocket thou.

2. By D on Feb 5, 2015 | Reply

Don’t forget about our Snapper.. Mr. Leach is a key to the success too…hopefully retained this free agency….Ginn Gr can be replaced by a 2nd or 3rd WR with speed.
    I have to give praise to BA and Mr. Keim, letting Feely go for a Rookie was gutsy,and sure paid off!

3. By Scott H on Feb 5, 2015 | Reply

Wow, was not expecting a ranking of 11. I mean….supposedly numbers do not lie. But going by what my eyes saw and how often I was finding myself infuriated by our special teams ( and yeah, it was mostly Butler and Ginn who were the culprits ), I just cannot believe we ranked that high. Why can’t I remember all these punts that were downed inside the 20??? Why am I remembering so many times when Butler was punting from deep inside our territory and couldn’t even get it past mid-field? And, yeah, we blocked some kicks. But we sure had our share of our own punts blocked, too.

I feel like a pain in the ass for complaining about anything after an 11-5 season, but….it’s just hard to see how our ST’s were ranked that high. You wonder sometimes if stats / rankings just somehow do not accurately represent what was being seen on the field. I may also be remembering the latter half of the season better than the first half, when things clearly seemed better. Maybe the last month or so – when we were just so shot up with injuries and we were struggling so bad – made it seem worse than it was.

Seeing a complete ranking of all 32 teams from 2014 – according to this Gosselin system – might help add perspective to this. Without seeing that, it is just hard to believe the Cardinals ranking that high for their ST’s.

But, Darren, I thank you for getting to this.

4. By Darren Urban on Feb 5, 2015 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: All 32 teams

The full list is contained in Gosselin’s story, which is linked to in the above post.

5. By Andy Kw on Feb 5, 2015 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Any chance Cardinals pick up Michael Oher in the waiver wire?

6. By Darren Urban on Feb 5, 2015 | Reply

Andy –

RE: Oher

He’s a free agent. No waivers. Second, he was terrible last year.

7. By georgiebird on Feb 5, 2015 | Reply

Cards have been slow to deal with the return game since PP’s first year of returning punts.
    Improvement in STs will be a great way for the Cards to succeed in 2015.
    One confusing part is – what was Ted Ginn’s problem? Ginn showed in the Giants’ game he is still one of the fastest players in the NFL.
    So the Cards don’t need more speed- they need more energy and a willingness to make things happen.
    So whether its offense, defense or special teams, we need more players with the mindset of Anquan Boldin, Marshawn Lynch and Clay Matthews.
    We don’t need fast players we need tough players who play the game fast.

8. By Scott H on Feb 5, 2015 | Reply

Darren –

Yes, I saw the link. Just didn’t have a minute to get there yet. Thanks.

9. By Anthony on Feb 5, 2015 | Reply

I love the fact that we had guts to go with a rookie kicker who was quite the pleasant surprise. Mike Leach is solid and always gets down the field fast. T.G. was clutch for 1 punt return and had a couple of big returns but I personally don’t think the blocking was great either…I could see a younger guys getting the job. And Drew Butler…please…move on! There were some UGLY punts….all-do-respect, though, for coming in and being another “next-man-up.” I could see us going in free agency or draft (undrafted) for a punter. And lastly…I don’t know how Bethel does it but the guy is just plain great at what he does.

10. By Marlin on Feb 5, 2015 | Reply

With all due respect, we need a new special teams coach.

11. By Eazy E on Feb 6, 2015 | Reply

I hope we don’t let go of Ginn because of his first year in Arizona being mostly a disappointment! Come back next year and be Ted Ginn Jr…

12. By LadyBird04 on Feb 6, 2015 | Reply

Ginn and Butler were the obvious holes in our special teams – we also have to look at the blocking in front of Ginn. This has been an area that has needed improvement for about 3 years. Miss Mike Adams – imho the hardest tackler pound for pound we’ve seen on our special teams unit.

13. By sbrown on Feb 6, 2015 | Reply

Butler did OK, I think he just hit the rookie wall at the end of the season. don’t forget he was on the roster due to Zastudil injury. If healthy, Zastiudil will be back in 2015. Also must resign Mike Leach as long snapper he is one of the best in the league.

14. By joe67 on Feb 6, 2015 | Reply

Scott H
    You said your biggest frustration was mostly Butler and Ginn. I partly agree, but I think mine was anytime opponents tried to run back a kick off, we rarely stopped them short of the Twenty. You could see as the season wore on how teams were becoming more flagrant about bringing the ball out, even when kicked fairly deep.
    Ginn was not good but the blocking just wasn’t there. Couldn’t blame him for some of the fair catches, but kind of hope we try someone else next year.

15. By Scott H on Feb 6, 2015 | Reply

Anthony –

RE: “he ( Ginn ) had a couple of big returns”

I’m sorry? When? Are we talking about THIS season?

RE: “I don’t think the blocking was great, either”

Blocking for WHAT??? What does blocking matter when your return guy is either calling for fair catches or letting punts hit at the 10 yard line? When returns aren’t even being attempted, what are guys blocking for???

I’m not frustrated with you, dude. I just can’t imagine anyone trying to defned Ginn after how bad he was thie year. Seriously, if kick return guys were paid strictly based on performance? Ginn would be applying for welfare right now to get him through the off-season.

16. By D on Feb 6, 2015 | Reply

Pat Kirwan has a good article out right now about how the potential first round 2015 pass rushers/OLB will most likely not make an impact in 2015 rookie season. Makes you wonder if AZ would take a gamble on a first round pick for a pass rusher if they are not a difference maker. Sure the Cards need one, but if they can get the same type of player in rounds 2 and 3, why would they draft one at 24…

Of the other needs/holes to fill for the Cards, G, RB, ILB, I don’t think they will take one of these positions in the first round. There are decent ILB in this draft, but they all appear to be 2 or 3rd round selections, not huge difference makers.

After the Cooper selection at G and the memory of B. Wells at RB taken in the first round of recent years, doubtful either one of those positions will be considered in Round 1, most likely filled in free agency.

Makes one think maybe a stud CB, WR or C could be an option.

Of these 3 positions, some names to watch in a few weeks at Indy that would be available around the 24th selection would be:

WR-D. Green-Beckham (OK) 6-5-225lbs
    WR- J. Strong (ASU) 6-3 215lbs
    WR- S. Coates (Auburn) 6-2 213lbs

If Larry F isn’t on AZ’s roster in 2015, WR position will move up the need chart.

CB- T. Waynes (Michigan St) 6-1 183lbs
    CB- M. Peters (Washington) 6-0 198lbs
    CB P.J. Williams (FSU) 6-0 196 lbs

Very good chance CRO will take a higher offer than what AZ will be able to give, yes the Cards could be fine with a healthy HoneyBadger playing CB on Nickel and the possibility of Bethel starting opposite of PP.
    But, if they think one of these 3 are difference makers, shouldn’t surprise anyone with a CB selection.

C/G/T C. Erving FSU Many people would say they don’t think he would be a difference maker, but this kid can play Left Tackle, Center and probably Guard. He has played on a National Champ Team and could be the perfect player to replace L. Sendlein who’s production doesn’t match his cap number in 2015.

just food for thought on a Friday….

17. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 6, 2015 | Reply

D,

J. Strong will be a star in this league. I would love if he was picked.No doubt about it. I also like Coates (Beckham has major issues)

But even if Larry is gone, can we spend a first rounder on a wr? With so many talented LBs available ?

As for CB, Waynes will be long gone and Peters can’t get along with coaches. I think they go CB, just not that early. With Bethel, Powers and HB still there, I just don’t see a high pick. Seems more like a vet to come in to me.

But I would not oppose to an offensive draft. In fact, it is needed. Yes, there are holes in the defense with 3 LBs and Dline and CB. But they could fix that in FA.

My two favorite offensive players in this draft are Strong and RB David Johnson. I think Johnson can be special. I think he will continue to rise up boards and may go as high as round 2.

So an offensive draft of;
    1st – Strong WR
    2nd – Johnson RB
    3rd – John Miller Guard
    4th – Rob Haverstein RT
    5th – Tre McBride WR/Returner

18. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 6, 2015 | Reply

Fans do need to prepare themselves for this offseason; I get lots of thumbs down when mentioning cuts but it is REALITY.

Facts are;

The Cards are 8.6 million over the 2015 cap. They can’t sign anyone till the cap is fixed.

The most likely players to be cut are those with large salaries and smaller dead money hits.

Dockett is scheduled to make 9.8 million and has only 3 million in dead money, meaning the team saves 6.8 million in cap space. You may love dockett, but the business side dictates he should be a cut. Dockett alone still leaves us 2 million short of the amount we are over.

Powers is scheduled to make 5.35 million as a slot CB and his dead money is 1 million. Cutting him would free up 4.35 million. If you want Cro or someone like him, you might have to make this decision.

Fitz, of course is scheduled to count as 23,600,000 against the cap with dead money of 14,400,000. Releasing or trading Larry frees up 9.2 million.

Drew Stanton is scheduled to count as 3,866,000 and only has dead money of 666,668, which means, if Keim drafted a competent QB last year, Drew could be released and save 3.2 million in cap money

Sure we all can agree (or most) that Ginn (2.5) , Shaughnessy (2) and Alexander (1.55) can be released saving 6 million but we still have 2.6 million to reach zero. Of course we are going to need around 3 million to sign our draft picks, so, in reality, if we cut those 3, we would still be down 5 and half million.

So players you like will have to be cut. Thumbs down or not, that is the reality.

So, as we talk about signing Cro, or a guard, or anyone else, reality check, you have no money to sign them. In fact, you have a lot of cuts just to get under the cap.

Of course, the 4 players above along with the other 3 I mentioned would account for just under 30 million in cap savings. With the deficit we are in and rookie money, you would have around 18 million to spend.

Now you can add that CB or Guard or whoever you want. But only if you make those tough choices.

19. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 6, 2015 | Reply

Oh, one more thing;

Before anyone starts saying cut D Washington, you have to understand this.

He counts 6.5 million against the cap with dead money of 8.5 million, meaning, cutting him would actually cost the cardinals 2 million in cap space making that 8.6 million deficit into 10.6 million.

Washington is untouchable.

20. By D on Feb 6, 2015 | Reply

If D. Shelton DT from Washington is still on the board at 24, I could see the Cards taking him to fill a potential hole if D. Williams get’s a great free agent offer.

He is 6’2 350lbs.

He impressed scouts/GB’s at the Senior Bowl, if he does it again at the Combine, he’ll probably be gone by the time the Cards are on the clock.

21. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 6, 2015 | Reply

D,

If shelton is there at 24, the cards brass will run that card up to the commish.

I just can’t see him falling out of the top 15. I hear a lot of Ngata comparisons with Shelton.

22. By D on Feb 6, 2015 | Reply

JTDG–
    Agree with you on most of your potential cuts. Your correct with DWash with his salary and Cap hit, but with Michael B. being a leader on the new domestic violence board, S. Keim may not have a choice on his future.

I agree with the Ginn and the Alexander possible cuts, but if they lose CRO and don’t have enough Cap space to sign another Vet CB and go with Bethel and HoneyBadger, they won’t cut Powers, he has been good in the slot and one of BA’s guys.

If Logan Thomas showed more last year, I would agree with cutting Stanton, but with Thomas being far from ready and an injury prone Palmer, no way BA and S. Keim will cut Stanton, they need an experience backup QB in BA’s system.

Dockett is a given, although I will miss his tweet’s. They could also go to C. Campbell to reduce his Cap#, he isn’t going anywhere for a long time.

I think they keep Shaughnessy if they don’t take a DL in the first round. Stinson can replace Dockett, but K. Martin isn’t ready to replace Shaughnessy and Rucker is better as a rotational player…

23. By br in nc on Feb 6, 2015 | Reply

JTDG or Anyone
    Under DWash’s suspension the Cardinals are actually saving that money because it is an unpaid suspension right?

But they get no salary cap relief, even though he is not being paid it is still on the salary cap books?

In my opinion with all his suspensions plus a pending suspension, he just isnt worth the risk, one more positive drug test and he gets a lifetime ban, correct?

And one more question, since his domestic violence incident jappened efore the NFL’S new punishment policy, it is not written in stone that he will get a 6 game punishment, correct? Under the old policy which he should fall under (in my book anyway) he could get as few as 2 and a max of 4 game suspension if I remember correctly?
    Or has the NFL already said he will be punished under the new personal conduct policy (post Ray Rice)?
    Sorry, been out of touch for quite awhile and couldnt keep myself current, I apologize if this is redundant or has been covered in the past.

24. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 7, 2015 | Reply

D

Shaughnessy is an OLB.

Okafor is taking his place.

25. By jason on Feb 7, 2015 | Reply

JTDG-

I think you need to remember that there are other ways of gaining cap space the simply releasing players. It is true that there will be a few “cap casualty” cuts and that is a reality that people should get used to. If you go to spotrac.com they have already adjusted our salary cap number with the draft picks included so that $8.6 million overage already accounts for the rookie salaries. Now if you cut Powers, Ginn, Zastudil and Alexander you have + $1.155 million in cap space. How much can the get renegotiating the Fitzgerald and Dockett contracts? i’m not a contract/cap space expert but I know the Cards employ some so I think it’ll all work out.

Now with that cap space what should we do? I really liked your offseason version 1.0 when you speculated that we sign Bruce Carter so that would be a signing I’d pursue. The player I think will fill the veteran value one year contract also known as the “Abraham/Cromartie” veteran value one year contract will go to Brian Orakpo. Here is an interesting article outlining his situation:

I don’t really want to speculate who else we’ll sign, but with these two signings it would free us up of priority needs and allow us options in the draft.

26. By Chuck 1 on Feb 7, 2015 | Reply

JTDG,

Some see the name of the poster and automatically give a Thumbs Down.
    Others don’t like any of the content of the post.
    Others don’t like parts of the post.

27. By Coach K on Feb 7, 2015 | Reply

JTDG

I agree with you that if Shelton fell to #24, he will be a Cardinal…Guaranteed.

I do not believe the Cardinals will go WR in round one. I just don’t see that this year as deep as this draft is at WR.

I personally believe it will be the multi-purpose offensive lineman from FSU Cameron Erving. No way the Cardinals pass up an instant starter who can play so many vital positions on the line. If Erving is sitting there at 24, he will be the pick unless Mariotta is there.

Then, it gets interesting.

28. By Berdj Joseph Rassam on Feb 8, 2015 | Reply

The Cardinals had a very good season, but there is still much to be improved (including special teams) to get to the next level of the NFL in pursuit of a Super Bowl ring.

29. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 8, 2015 | Reply

jason,

I guess I believe someone will toss big money (or at least over pay) for Orakpo.
    If we could get a one year discount deal, then yes.

On a side note, when we played the skins, my seats are right behind the opposing bench. I said to Brian, come to Arizona and partner with fellow Univ of Texas Okofer. He smiled and gave me a thumbs up.

You’re right about the rookie money in that 8.6 million.

30. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 8, 2015 | Reply

Coach K,

I’m not saying to take a receiver in round one, I was just saying if I did, this is who I would take.

I like Strong though. Of course some of that has to do with him being an ASU guy.

31. By Chuck 1 on Feb 8, 2015 | Reply

I don’t believe that Michael Bidwill will let Fitz walk.
    He will pay up to keep him.

32. By Big Ken on Feb 8, 2015 | Reply

What about Winston? If he’s there at 24, do we pick him? We passed on Bridgewater last year….

33. By red2616 on Feb 9, 2015 | Reply

Draft day, this year is fine. Don’t forget they get a raise in cap. Really don’t need a big free agent. Cut Ginn and Carlson. Plus Fitz will be fixed. Next year is the issue. The article was special teams. Again just like everything else about this team. They could have been number 1 if they were not slaughtered by injury. Just their punter back and they would have been #1 Special teams AND won 1-2 more games and that would have been NFC West champ instead of Seattle defaulting to number 1. Seattle didn’t play 1 QB since KC week 10’that was a starter that wasn’t seriously hurt, a back up, a back ups back up or Kaepernick who’s Coach was job hunting instead of Coaching. They had a easy run due to injuries by other teams. Rams, Cards, Eagles all 2nd/3rd string. Cam broken back and Rodgers could not run 10 yards. Kaepernick was lost without his Coach. That plus thI bye gives Seattle 9 weeks of hurt Rodgers their only WB competition. LITERALLY! No one talks about that!

34. By brinnc on Feb 9, 2015 | Reply

JTDG
    Another amazing numbers schooling, I cant wait for your cap postings, I dont know how you keep all these #’s straight but I’m glad you do, I absolutely hate cap numbers and trying to keep track and understand them.

Jason & JTDG

I’m totally bias on this but would love to see the Cardinals sign Bruce Carter, I live in the tiny town that he went to high school in, Havelock has nothing (just got a Walmart 3 years ago, no kidding!!) they have become a football powerhouse and factory of players, along with Bruce, Guy Whimper also played his highschool ball here, there are 1 or 2 more but I cant remember their names for the life of me, Corey Robinson/LT/South Carolina played his HS ball here, he should get drafted this year, South Carolina also has a WR (only a Sophomore this past season) Pharoh Cooper, keep your eye on him, he was a first team all SEC this year, also was MVP in their bowl game, he also went to school here, im very good friends with his father, je reminds me of John Brown, only he is getting it done at the high DI level, Pharoh won 3 state Championships in a row here, WR/KR his Soph and Jr year, and when we had no QB his Sr year he stepped in and played QB and set quite a few single season records, one heck of an athlete, keep your eye on him next year, he may be an early entry in the NFL draft after next season. But if the Cards sign Bruce Carter I will be estatic, man I could finally have some Cardinal gear out here in coastal Carolina, and signed gear at that!! LOL!!

ALL
    Would like to hear what everyone thinks of trading out of the first round for extra picks??
    Im totally in favor of it depending on the return, if we could pick up a very high 2nd round and a 4th rounder or a lower 2nd round and a 3rd rounder I think that would be the way to go, dont think we can get a game changing player as low as we are picking in the first, if we had two picks in the 2nd we could get both an ILB and a OLB (who has special pass rush ability) if we can pick up an extra 3rd rounder as well then Johnson/RB/UNI should be on the board, and he is a small school sleeper/gem that is at the top of my list (which as all you old timers on this board know I will be putting out my lists of small school/ sleepers as we get closer to the draft, I know you all are just chomping at the bit and cant wait for my lists!! LOL!) Another player (Coastal North Carolina area bias) that I would love to see the Cardinals steal in the draft is Justin Hardy/WR/ECU, take a look at him and what he did in college, he is a Fitz Jr, he is going to make a mark for some team in the NFL, I hope it is our beloved Cardinals!!!
    Thats enough rambling for now!

35. By brinnc on Feb 9, 2015 | Reply

D
    No Green-Beckham he is a total crininal, nothing but problems, including multiple arrests for pot!! Absolutely no place in Arizona for him!

36. By brinnc on Feb 9, 2015 | Reply

JTDG
    Posted a rant earlier not sure where it went though, it gave me a “duplicate post message” but I dont see the damn thing anywhere, which is a good thing for all, because I got into the rambling mode!!
    In short…I absolutely love your salary cap posts, they are very informative and eye opening, sure am glad you enjoy #’s, because I hate them with a passion!! Thanks for the detailed postings on the reality that is the salary cap!!
    Im very bias but would love for the Cardinals to sign Bruce Carter, he went to High School right here in the tiny Coastal North Carolina town I live in, used to watch him in awe on Friday nights!!! Havelock NC doesnt have much (we just got a Wal-Mart 3 years ago, no joke!) but this tiny town has become a football factory!! Carter and Guy Whimper, and I believe one or two more are in NFL. Corey Robinson/OT/South Carolina also went to HS here, he will be drafted this year, and South Carolina has a pure stud at WR, Pharoh Cooper, rising Junior, 1st team All SEC, MVP of Gamecocks bowl game this year, he put on a show, he was a huge part of the 3 State Championships that Havelock won, they finished runner up this season, Iam very good friends with Pharoh Coopers dadd, we were in the Marine Corps together, he has promised a few trips to South Carolina next season to watch Pharoh play in person!! I can tell you one thing, if we sign Carter I will have a ton of Signed Cardinals gear, he still maintains a home (read Mansion, lets just say his house sticks.out like a sore thumb here!) here, you can bet I will be begging him to sign some gear, maybe even see if he can pass a Jersey around the locker room!!
    Also posted a question that seems to floated to space, suppose it posted somewhere out there in internet hell, just dont know where, or why!!
    Was wondering what my fellow Birdgang fanatics think about the Cardinals trading out of round #1, picking up a high #2 & #4 or a middle #2 & #3, In my humble opinion that is the way to go, dont think we can get a game changer from our lower 1st round pick, we could get 2 players in the second round without that much drop in talent (if any) maybe snag an OLB with pass rush skills a priority, then an ILB (preferably a 3 down player!) and if we are lucky enough to get an extra 3rd round pick (I realize it all depends how desparate the team we deal with wants to move up into the 1st) I think Johnson/RB/UNI will still be on the board in the 3rd (he is at the top of my small school/sleeper list!) And with the other 3rd round pick we should be able to get an interior O-line guy that can play both Center & Guard. Yes, I know its a stretch and would have to have a lot of dominoes fall into place, but you never know, it could transpire.
    Also wanted to throw another name from this tiny county here in NC…Justin Hardy/WR/ECU (East Carolina University) he is a Fitz Jr, and is going to make some NFL team very happy, he is also a potent KR/PR, who may still be on the board come round #4 (or possibly round #5, but I seriously doubt that, if he is available round #5, the Cardinals hopefully will be at a dead sprint getting his name to the podium!!! Take some time to research this kid, I think you guys will be quite impressed!!
    Signing off now before the rambling really starts!!
    If my previous post mysteriously shows up later, I apologize for torturing everyone with basically the same post!

37. By brinnc on Feb 9, 2015 | Reply

Forgot to post!!

LS Leach must be a very high priority free agent resigning!!! If not the best long snapper in the NFL, he is top 3!! Must remain an Arizona Cardinal.
    The more I think about it the more I can see DD wearing Jets green next season!! He loved Bowles defensive scheme, and the Jets have tons of cap space, somewhere in the neighborhood of $50million I think I saw. CRO takes the money and runs back to the Jets too!

Anyone else have a difficult time believing that Ray Horton is happy to step aside (or down) as D-coordinator, Whiz made it clear that LeBeau was in charge of the Titans Defense, RH just doesnt have the type of personality to accept a demotion, may see him twice a year, something tells me he may be wearing Seahawk colors as their new D-coordinator! (Unless I missed the news they are still looking for a D-coordinator, right?)

38. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 9, 2015 | Reply

brinnc,

I posted I am for Trading down to the 2nd round and adding a possible 3 or 4.

Bruce Carter is a fast LB who can cover. This is missing from the cards without DWash. I think he would be a great signing.

My guys I like in this draft are; (in no order)
    Eric Kendricks ILB
    David Johnson RB
    Devin Smith WR
    Sammie Coates WR
    Jamison Crowder WR
    Tre McBride WR
    Zac hodges OLB

Best player in the draft
    Leonard Williams DE,

Best pass rusher in draft
    Vic Beasley OLB

Players with biggest potential
    Carl Davis DL,

Favorite Players in Draft
    Jaelen Strong WR , David Johnson RB

Biggest Sleeper
    Zac Hodges OLB, Tre McBride Wr

Best Athlete
    Shaq Thompson OLB / ILB / SS / RB / ……………

39. By Scott H on Feb 9, 2015 | Reply

Jason –

I’m not crazy about Orakpo because of the recent history of injuries. We had enough injuries this past season. No need to bring in guys that seem prone to them!

That said, after being stuck in the purgatory that has been the Washington Redskins since he has been there, I’ll bet Orakpo would LOVE to jump on board with a contender and an organization that has its ship pointed in the right direction!

The Redskins are hopeless. That trade to get RGIII has killed them.

40. By Fan4sure on Feb 9, 2015 | Reply

Punts downed inside the 35. That was only because Butler was punting from the 40…

41. By jasonc on Feb 10, 2015 | Reply

Scott H-

I understand your concern; however that is the reason we would be able to sign him to a value contract. If he was coming off of an injury free, double digit sack season at 28 years old he would be getting a big dollar contract. Unfortunately, with our cap space issues we have to search for players who can still get it done but at a discounted price tag. Before the pectoral issues 2009-2011 he only missed one game, in 2012 he tore his left pectoral missing 14 games returning in 2013 with a 10 sack season and last year he tore the right pectoral missing 9 games. The bigger issue might be why he wasn’t productive for the 7 games he did play in only recording half a sack. Now, if you’re 28 and the team that drafted you lets you hit free agency and you aren’t getting offered that elite edge rusher money what would you do? One option would be to find a team that A. needs an edge rusher B. is going to be a contender and come in motivated and angry to earn the contract you want. Not only do we fit the A & B, but we have a proven track record with Dansby, Abraham and Cromartie as a destination for a vet to come and shine to get his contract money up.

Then again maybe Keim will surprise all of us and manipulate the cap space to sign one of the premier edge guys who could be in free agency.

42. By Big Ken on Feb 11, 2015 | Reply

How about Greg Hardy? It looks like the charges he was facing will be dropped because they can’t find the lady that filed then to begin with. Orakpo is over-rated.

2. Feb 5, 2015: 2/6 Arizona Cardinals news: Ranking special teams and 2015 | nflfans247.net