Campbell has successful surgery

Posted by Darren Urban on February 10, 2015 – 12:51 pm

Calais Campbell was everywhere during Pro Bowl and Super Bowl week, whether it was practicing for and playing in the former or simply taking advantage of all the eyeballs focused in during the latter.

“I was definitely hustling,” the Cardinals’ defensive end said.

But he needed downtime. Suffering a sports hernia he played with during the season, Campbell finally had surgery last week. Tuesday, he was at the Cardinals’ facility — coming into the team’s temporary weight room/training room/locker room set up in the practice bubble while upgrades are being done in the permanent areas — and looked pretty good all things considered.

“The first couple of days I couldn’t walk,” said Campbell, who seemed OK as he came into the bubble. “It’s still a little painful to walk but I’m getting there.”

Campbell expects to be fine when the team has offseason workouts in a couple of months.

CampSuegeryBlog

Tags:

27 Responses to “Campbell has successful surgery”

1. By georgiebird on Feb 10, 2015 | Reply

Considering his age and talent level, CC is probably the most valuable commodity on the team along with Jared Veldheer.
    BA is what makes this team go-

2. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Feb 10, 2015 | Reply

Been digging into Bettcher background. We’re gonna like this dude. BA strikes again.

Get well CC.

3. By Steve on Feb 10, 2015 | Reply

Darren: If John Abraham was open to returning for another year do you think the Cards would be interested, provided he has cleared all his concussion protocols?

4. By Darren Urban on Feb 11, 2015 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Abraham

I would never say never. I don’t think it’d be at the top of the to-do list.

5. By Dr. G. on Feb 10, 2015 | Reply

Gbird…. How can anyone disagree with Veldeer and Calais being our best in 2014??

Darren… I know it is probably a bit early, but I would like to read things on our site…saves me time. I am reading that Michael Sam will be on the 100 early pick list for camp consideration….and that some think Adrian Peterson should be considered…just a couple…

Is it possible for you to post a short list of the notables that try out for the list? Realizing there is confidentiality to consider, anything is helpful. Thank you…be well

6. By Darren Urban on Feb 11, 2015 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Sam/Peterson

Where are you seeing these things?

7. By sggrange on Feb 10, 2015 | Reply

CC is all pro both on and off the field…Really LIKE what I see about and from this guy.

8. By shannon robinson on Feb 11, 2015 | Reply

Darren, What happened to Cameron Barfield and Tavon Rooks, two tackles who who signed future contracts. Was Andre Hardy, TE, released injured?

9. By Darren Urban on Feb 11, 2015 | Reply

Shannon —

RE: Roster

Mere oversight. Thought I had added them in.

Hardy was not re-signed.

10. By Bruce on Feb 11, 2015 | Reply

Take your time Calais. You’re the heart of the defense. We need to beat. We need you to just be nasty next season. Get the bash brothers both healthy. CC & Doc!!!

11. By D on Feb 11, 2015 | Reply

All Day Peterson still has to wait for the NFL to decide on his return. Once he clears that hurdle, he will either be released by MN or take a pay cut to stay. If he is released onto the open market, most likely it will come to the highest bidder and again, with the Cards being strapped with Cap issues, even if they do manage to clear 15-18 mil in Cap space, they still will be middle of the pack or below in terms of space to sign free agents. I would take him on the Cards, but he may want to play for his home town Texans, (if they have any interest) or the Cowboys have been rumored to have interest in him if Murray doesn’t resign, so I guess the old saying is true…..dreaming is free…

12. By clssylssy on Feb 11, 2015 | Reply

Darren…You do a great job with the information you are given, however, it seems that this site is the LAST to post what everybody else (PFT, Bleacher Report, SB Nation, Twitter, etc.) are already reporting (Sam, A Peterson, LeBeau to Titans, etc.) I just got finished reading on PFT that Michael Bidwill is issuing statements about Fitz again and HIS need to “work with the franchise”…this after the Bills just gave Richie “the headcase” Incognito a $100 million dollar contract and Eli refusing to give the Giants a hometown discount, and without consideration for all that Fitz has given (and given up)for the Cards already!
    It seems that as the official team reporter/blogger the franchise should show you the respect and courtesy to give you information on the team first. I know, I would rather hear it here than from Mike Florio, who has become the Harvey Levin of sports. I think most people in your position would be somewhat embarrassed, frustrated, even a little annoyed. You handle the situation very well but it doesn’t do anything for the professional image of the organization.

13. By Darren Urban on Feb 11, 2015 | Reply

clssy —

RE: Fitz/information

Bidwill isn’t “issuing statements.” He did a radio interview. I listened. He didn’t say anything that hasn’t been previous discussed.

Like here: http://blog.azcardinals.com/2015/01/29/cards-will-take-washington-absence-into-account/

or here: http://blog.azcardinals.com/2015/01/13/fitzgerald-hopefully-we-can-get-something-done/

or here: http://blog.azcardinals.com/2015/01/02/larry-fitzgeralds-future/

or here: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Arians-Larry-Fitzgerald-the-ultimate-team-player/b1ebaa51-9ae6-496e-a61c-99918c89729e

Heck, go back to my Sept. 4 story and tell me what it means: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/For-Larry-Fitzgerald-Future-Is-Now/7d5da47b-f29b-4d23-9309-e0a9dc691911

Here’s a hint: Pay cut.

There is no new news here. I’ve written many, many times Fitz would have to take a pay cut to stay. He knows it, they know it. If you don’t want to pay attention or if that bothers you, I’m sorry. But this site is not last in that regard.

Also, I choose to report things I find to be on more solid ground. The Peterson stuff, for instance, is just speculation on Kent’s part — and I’ve talked to him about it — and a moot point since Peterson a) isn’t a free agent and b) likely would cost too much in context of the cap for the Cards to be serious players.

You say you don’t like PFT yet you seem to want to engage in all the rumormill stuff they traffic in, which is fine — but seems a little disingenuous.

14. By D on Feb 11, 2015 | Reply

Darren–you have been more on top of the Larry F contract than anyone. Your right nothing new from Mr. B’s radio interview. Either Larry takes a pay cut or is released, simple to understand. It’s all up to Larry and it appears the Cards maybe the only double digit winning team from last year that would pay him more than his current market value. The time remaining before the deadline may end up just maybe about spin control if a deal isn’t made.

Aeneas Williams didn’t finish his career here but still managed to be in the ring of honor in the stadium and inducted into the HOF as a Card.

15. By Darren Urban on Feb 11, 2015 | Reply

D —

RE: Fitz ROH

As I mentioned in the Cardinals Underground podcast that will be posting later today, I have no doubt that even if the Cards and Fitz end up parting ways, he will eventually be welcomed back after his career is done. Both sides are going to handle this the right way, no matter what direction it goes.

16. By Dr. G. on Feb 11, 2015 | Reply

Darren…

Re: Michael Sam – Read on ESPN… lots of news on this.

Re: Adrian Peterson – Kent Sommers ((if cut)) …

G’day….

17. By Dr. G. on Feb 11, 2015 | Reply

Darren.. Saw you notes on AP… I’d rather go with M. Gordon if we pick an RB anyway…better long term and less theatrics. Cards go LB in the 1st; don’t you guess?

18. By Darren Urban on Feb 11, 2015 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: First round

Picking 24th, it’s hard to get a read. So much depends on those picks before them. LB definitely seems in play — outside or inside — but again, you don’t reach just because.

19. By clssylssy on Feb 11, 2015 | Reply

LOL…geez Darren, didn’t mean to get you soooo unhinged! I was just say’n, I come here first to get my information and it would be nice if we “heard it first” from the official site. The LeBeau announcement was all over before it was here, and you were wondering where people were hearing that Sam and Adrian Peterson were being “considered”…Bleacher Report (as you know they repost from many sources, some of which are even reputable!).
    As for Fitz, we all have our opinions and what will be will be…bottom line, I think we all know he deserves to be on a team with professionals who share his same standards for excellence and commitment to the game…wherever.
    And, I believe, when you speak publicly, on the radio, TV, or in a personal interview, the dissemination of information constitues “issuing statements” (whether or not the statements are new).
    This is the entertainment industry and what I said was that Mike Florio had become the Harvy Levin of sports, which is …entertaining.
    At any rate, sorry for any misunderstanding. You do a nice job🙂

20. By NJAzCardsFan on Feb 11, 2015 | Reply

Darren- Any chance the Cards pick up Michael Ohr….???

Personally… I think there are a lot better LB’s out there than Michael Sam…???
    Besides, I don’t think BA would care for the circus atmosphere that comes with him.

21. By Coach K on Feb 11, 2015 | Reply

Darren

Everyone is talking about Linebacker in round one at pick #24. I disagree

You take the best available athlete, and let me tell you, if 7 wide receivers are
    chosen in round one (according to Kiper), then a special player is going to fall down to the Cardinals. Those receivers are going to push the quality down at least 5 spots.

Cardinals can land a blue chip offensive lineman if this happens, or an outside pass rusher. Inside backers will get pushed into round two. So I say take the best available athlete at either offensive line, outside pass rusher, or even cornerback.

Surely one of the above is going to slide down. I have said all along I personally like Cameron Erving because of his ability to play anywhere on
    the line, but if all these elite receivers push the talent lower, then you take the best player available in positions you need to fill.

I think this is what so many impact receivers will do this year. So I hope Kiper is right. I personally expect 8 receivers to go in round one. Kiper left out ASU’s Strong.

If this happens, the Cardinals can salivate knowing a great player will fall to them.

22. By NYCardinals on Feb 11, 2015 | Reply

Clssy,

In my opinion, all the things you stated about “entertainment” and reporting “statements” because every word MUST mean something, etc is what’s wrong with today’s news.

I come here precisely because Darren doesn’t throw around rumors. All these other websites (which I’ve read in the past) are only interested in feeding the machine. They don’t care about being right. They care about being first, regardless of authenticity.

Darren has mentioned this many times in some form or another — Any journalist worth his salt has a reputable source and a second reputable source to back-up the first.

You may think all of this is old fashioned, but I, for one, appreciate his professionalism and integrity.

23. By NYCardinals on Feb 11, 2015 | Reply

Correction:

“All these other websites are only interested in feeding the machine”

I wouldn’t put Kent Somers in this category. I actually read his blog as well, and I find his reporting to be relatively sober compared to PFT, Bleacher Report, SB Nation, Twitter.

24. By Dr. G. on Feb 12, 2015 | Reply

NYCCards… Many will disagree with your proposition that other news outlets are not useful…that is silliness. Your post comes across as lecturing the curious fans. Any news can bring hope to improve our team.

My tablet or desktop “always” has a window open awaiting the latest from Darren. I try to use his info as “confirming” validation for other news. He will tell you that he cannot control when and where players and mgmt do interviews, esp. a guy like Arians. So, Darren is not always first, but he can go to our sources. I wish they were better about getting things to him first…that can’t be possible.

Net searches produce myriad responses, some legit, some not legit, like the quote by BA indicating Michael Sam’s story filling out paper work to apply for camp… I’m asking Darren if he can confirm this report. I do not buy into sensational reporting.

I commend DU’s work ethic…he seems to go 24/7 during the season…be well

25. By Darren Urban on Feb 12, 2015 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Sam

I have not heard anything about Sam. The Cardinals never showed any interest in him last season the couple of times he was available, however.

26. By Dr. G. on Feb 12, 2015 | Reply

Cards Fans… Most know by now that NBC suspended Brian Williams for having lied about his field experiences over the years, not a crime, but a serious embarrassment to the network. Though he is contracted, he loses $5MIL and a dreamer’s job.

Comparatively, it is appropriate to the discussion of the NFL//NFLPA rules when some feel sorry for players and staff who have conduct clauses that produce penalties when violated. Our team continues to deal with similar issues recently of these image flaws. We shall not pity the fools who chose to scar our team with selfish behavior.

As we enter a new year, all these things will be addressed AGAIN by the team staff… Alcohol abuse, baby mamas, trappers, traffic laws, drugs, violence, social & civil behavior, the posse…on and on…

It just seems stupid and obvious, but some of the newbies esp just go off the rails when they win the lottery. My heart breaks when thinking back on Lenny Bias. This is a story that should be told 10 times during camp…be well

2. Feb 10, 2015: Report: Calais Campbell undergoes successful hernia surgery | Sports Kave