Goodwin will get more chances to call plays

Posted by Darren Urban on February 19, 2015 – 12:10 pm

Head coach Bruce Arians calls the plays and that isn’t about to change. But it’s also a goal to eventually get offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin — who is also the offensive line coach — hired as a head coach somewhere like defensive coordinator Todd Bowles did with the Jets. Last preseason, Arians allowed Goodwin to call the plays in the Cards’ fourth preseason game in San Diego. There will be more of that this year, Arians said.

“This year I think I’m going to let him do at least two (preseason games),” Arians said. “So he can continue to develop as a coordinator. He’s doing a great job with what he’s doing. He has really good command of his room also. I think that’s what set James (Bettcher, the new defensive coordinator) apart from a lot of young coaches I have been around, he has really good command of the room when he is in front of it.”

Goodwin does a lot of the gameplanning during the week for the Cardinals. It’s unlikely Arians will ever completely give up his role of playcalling — he said when he first hired he would call the plays “until I find someone who can call them better.” Who knows, maybe Goodwin will eventually be that guy. For now, two or three preseason games will have to suffice.

GoodyBAblog

Tags: , ,

18 Responses to “Goodwin will get more chances to call plays”

1. By Andy Kw on Feb 19, 2015 | Reply

I would not mind seeing the Cardinals draft Melvin Gordon in the first round. But i’d much prefer the Cards to draft an ILB or OLB though.
    -Harold Goodwin will be a good play caller one day. He just needs a few more years to adjust.

2. By D on Feb 19, 2015 | Reply

Sure doesn’t sound like BA would take a OT in the first round with his praise of B. Massie.
    So, to check off the positions that are not in play at #24
    OT
    WR (now that Fitz is resigned)
    G (After taking Cooper in Round 1, probably gun shy on a G in Round 1)
    CB- they may draft one but not in Round 1
    NT- I don’t see a NT at 24, their will be DL but most are DE in a 3-4 or DT in a 4-3, guessing they keep Darnell at a lower salary, with Stinson taken last year, I don’t see another DE. Plus those wide bodies can be found in rounds 2-4 who will be on a rotation for a year or two.
    QB-weak class this year
    S-this team is loaded at Safety

That would leave:
    RB, Center, ILB and OLB

Although the best or second best RB probably will be on the board, I would be surprised if they drafted one in the first round. (I think McFadden will be sought by AZ in free agency that would take this need off the list for AZ)

The Kid from FSU that played Center last year and has experience at Left Tackle is Intriguing. I just don’t see BA cutting Lyle for an unproven draft pick that is suppose to be one of the leaders of the Oline. There is a reason they moved Steen to the active roster last year.

ILB/OLB—the greatest need. There will be 2-4 ILB’s available at #24 and will be a few OLB’s available too. Depends on what is signed in free agency….as of today with the combination of free agency and the draft, I think the Cards need to sign 3 LB’s this spring.

3. By D on Feb 19, 2015 | Reply

The 3 LB’s I would try to add this offseason–

1- P. McPhee–pass rusher from Ravens
    2- J. Durant -from Dallas–can play both ILB and OLB has some speed
    3–P. Dawson ILB TCU at #24 in the draft. Kid has good side line to side line speed, can cover RB’s.

4. By rod (Eddie Goldman RD1) on Feb 19, 2015 | Reply

D-

Goldman can be a NT at the next and he can pass rush.

5. By NJAzCardsFan on Feb 19, 2015 | Reply

Darren- With Fitz signing for two more years does that mean he will retire after the new contract is up…???

6. By Darren Urban on Feb 20, 2015 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: Fitz retire

Can’t say for sure … but do you think he’ll retire when he’s 34? I don’t.

7. By cardsfan89 on Feb 19, 2015 | Reply

I think you nailed it Andy KW. Every mock draft I have seen have us taking a LB, with a few Melvin’s sprinkled in. I saw ONE that had a DL. Obviously Docket and Williams contract situations will dictate some of that.

8. By Steve . on Feb 19, 2015 | Reply

Darren: Great combine videos, do you get the sense after talking with B.A and Keim that they are looking for more bargains in free agency versus a Jared Veldheer like signing? Or do you think Keim will trim more dollars to make a bigger splash in free agency.than getting guys on one year deals only? . .

9. By Darren Urban on Feb 20, 2015 | Reply

Steve —

RE: FA

I don’t see, at this point, a Veldheer-like deal, but we’ll see how the offseason goes the next few weeks and what kind of cap space they end up with. They’d need a lot more cap room.

10. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 19, 2015 | Reply

Heard Steve Keim on Doug and Wolf today. He made some very interesting comments.

Regarding the draft;
    Keim said you rarely miss on the football player, but you miss on the person. He went on to say, misses happen when you don’t know if the player can absorb information or if the player has inner drive. That is where you miss. He said the best part of the combine is trying to get to know the players.

Regarding 2015;
    He said a second time that he wants to get more physical on the interior of the offensive line. He also said he must get a OLB pass rusher, and we need to be more athletic at ILB.

When asked about a RB;
    He said he believes Ellington could be the #1 RB. Injuries slowed him. But then asked if he would take a RB at #24, he said if their was an outstanding bell cow RB in the draft, he would take him.

Dockett;
    He said he was talking to him today (Thursday 2/19). He wants Dockett to be a cardinal. Not mentioning Dockett, he said there was a couple of moves he still needed to do to free up more cap money.

Free Agency;
    Obviously not giving anything away, but he said last year, he signed one big player (Veldheer) and then “bargain” players . You think about 2013, he made a splash with Palmer and then signed bargain players. It seems to me, he will make one splash player and other bargain players.

Good interview. Of course, everything GMs say right now could be smoke to fool other GMs.

11. By Steve Lee on Feb 19, 2015 | Reply

Would the Cards consider Adrian Peterson?n?

12. By Darren Urban on Feb 20, 2015 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Peterson

Peterson isn’t even out there right now. And the Vikings keep insisting he won’t be.

13. By georgiebird on Feb 19, 2015 | Reply

The biggest positives for the Cardinals:
    1) Marshawn Lynch retires
    2) The Rams go with Sam Bradford

14. By Steve . on Feb 19, 2015 | Reply

D, I agree on the drafting of .Paul Dawson with our 24th selection, the kid has great instincts, makes a lot tackles.and flies around the field making plays. I think if the Cards can get a guy like Brian Orakpo to come in on a one year deal to play OLB .and then draft Dawson, that would give us the speed off the edge and in the middle to generate better pressure on the QB. Dawson is superb in coverage as well.

15. By Andy Kw on Feb 19, 2015 | Reply

If Dorial Green Beckham is still available in the second round when it’s time for us to draft, I say we take a chance on him. If there are no OLBs or ILBs that standout when we draft in the 2nd, then this should be a risk the Cards should take. Tyrann Mathieu was a steal in the 3rd RD. We have Larry Fitzgerald and he can mentor Beckham and truly bring him on the right track.

16. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 19, 2015 | Reply

Mock off season 3.0

Taking into account what Keim said today, he is my mock off season.

I think D might be right on this one. The cards like that big OLB who can play the run but also rush the passer.
    OLB Pernell McPhee
    Getting more Physical on the interior of the line, I think you have to look for a guard who doesn’t break the bank.
    G Clint Boling
    The cards must sign a NT. Why go with a stranger?
    NT Dan Williams

As for the draft;

Round 1 – Todd Gurley RB – This guy is a powerful back who can carry the load. If you will only draft a bell cow, well here he is.

Round 2- Jalen Collins CB – If Cro is not signed, the cards need to draft a CB who excels at man coverage. If Bethel steps up, great, But adding another LSU DB can’t be bad.

Round 3 – Kwon Alexander – ILB, Fast athletic LB who can cover. Gives the cards an option if DWash does not return. Could compliment Minter or even challenge him if DWash returns.

Round 4 – Ali Marpet – C/G/T – Marpet is a good lineman who can play anywhere. He could play behind Sendlin and take over next year, He could challenge Cooper or Massie also. At worse case, a solid swing lineman.

Round 5 – Zack Hodges – OLB – My biggest sleeper of the draft. This kid, at 240 pounds, lined up as DT, DE, ILB, OLB. He is just a great athlete with strength. Although the cards sign McPhee, he could push Okafer or he could move to ILB. Would be great on special teams.

Round 6 – Sean Mannion – QB – he could challenge Thomas for that number 3 spot. At worst, he could push Thomas to improve.

Round 7 – Antwan Goodley – WR – added depth but frankly, what he did to TCU, 8 catches and 158 and a TD, warrants this pick.

17. By Coach K on Feb 19, 2015 | Reply

D

I think you got it right. I like the Fla St. center also, but I see inside and outside linebacker with the first two picks. Then, I see at least two quality interior offensive linemen being selected somewhere between 3rd and 5th round.

Somewhere in round 3, 4 or 5, I think they take a young RB with size. I’m guessing round 4 or 5.

18. By T.Stone on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

we made mistake once by not getting Adrian Peterson. lets not make it again by getting him now that we know what kind of person he is. Let him go to Dallas if Minn. lets him go.