Palmer health and an offseason of Logan Thomas

Posted by Darren Urban on February 20, 2015 – 11:27 am

Someone asked Bruce Arians how Carson Palmer was progressing in his knee rehab, noting by all accounts Palmer was doing well.

“Don’t jinx me, baby,” Arians said with a grin.

Palmer is doing well, Arians acknowledged, and Palmer is apparently still making noise that he hopes to be back for some offseason work. That, Arians added, is no lock if the Cardinals decide it might not be worth it. It’s not like they don’t already know what Palmer can do, and having Palmer available for training camp is much more important. Drew Stanton is also doing “extremely well,” his own knee issues nowhere near as severe as Palmer. Both are ahead of schedule, Arians said.

And if the Cardinals are limited in their quarterback availability this offseason? Not a problem, Arians said, because this will be the offseason of Logan Thomas.

“This will be a big spring for Logan because of the two guys,” Arians said. “We’ll see how much Drew can do. But I want to give Logan a ton of work anyway. If Carson is cleared and ready to go, we’ll put him out there.”

This is a big spring for Thomas regardless of where the other QBs were health-wise anyway. His rookie year is over. This is the offseason in which Thomas should be able to make the largest strides learning the offense. There is no transition to the NFL like he had as a rookie. He’s been around it for a year. His accuracy remains a question mark and while the Cardinals do not need him right now — again, assuming health for both Palmer and Stanton — there is in today’s NFL a short shelf life for “potential” and how long you work with it to see if it can eventually pay off.

LoganWorkinguse

Tags: , ,

28 Responses to “Palmer health and an offseason of Logan Thomas”

1. By Andrew on Feb 20, 2015 | Reply

Make or break off-season for Logan Thomas. Wish him the best in the future.

2. By sggrange on Feb 20, 2015 | Reply

Hope BA and Keim got this young man’s potential right…Good news is that these guys will tell you the truth real quick, so by the beginning of next season his “fate” will be known….

3. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Feb 20, 2015 | Reply

All true. Still, watched NFL network film on Brady at combine…maybe BA can pull rabbit out of hat in 6th or 7th…you never know. That said, maybe Logan rights the ship and becomes the man, in time. Lots to ponder and dissect.

Lombardi Trophy or nothing at all (credits: Dyno)

4. By MikeinMesa on Feb 20, 2015 | Reply

I hope Arians actually gives him a chance this time. Arians schtick is already getting tiresome to me. He should have lost coach of the year in my book when he started Lindley over Logan last year. Some of these coaches let their egos get in the way sometimes.

5. By Cards4Ever on Feb 20, 2015 | Reply

hmm MikeinMesa,
    Who do you think has a better opportunity to make a football judgment call?

A man who has been in football for 75% of his life and was given millions to make those judgment calls, who coached Peyton Manning, Ben Rothlesburg and Andrew Luck to the playoffs and a championship, and not to mention the absolute obvious, that coach sees these guys everyday in practice,

OR

You?

6. By Dynosoar on Feb 20, 2015 | Reply

Patrick Hoog aka Don’t Take Losses,

1. I like the vision of the Lombardi better than the reality of nothing at all. I know making it back to the playoffs is not really “nothing at all”, but no one remembers the Wild Card teams. Only the SB winner so maybe it really is “nothing at all.” I should expect you to have vision because you don’t take losses. Haha.

2. It’s interesting that BA went with Lindley last year. I felt if he did BA truly believed we could win with Ryan; then we could win with Ryan. He played as well or better than Cam did, but it seems we needed just one or two more healthy players.

3. Watching Logan throw that TD pass in such a tight area in Denver gave me hope we had found a late round gem. Looking forward to seeing how far this young man can take the opportunity he’s been given.

The Lombardi Trophy or nothing at all!
    (no credit necessary, this belongs to us all. It’s good we’re in this together, we have a good fan base on this blog site.)

7. By georgiebird on Feb 20, 2015 | Reply

BA is a smart guy especially when it comes to QBs.
    With the Cards needing so much from this draft, Keim will treasure every pick-there will be no frivolous picks.
    Hence, if the Cards go for a QB in the early to mid rounds, then Logan is gone. BA knows already whether Logan has it or not.

8. By AS21 on Feb 20, 2015 | Reply

MikeinMesa,

How is Arians “ego” the reason he started Lindley? Seems to me if it was his ego involved he would have started the player he deemed worthy to keep after pre-season(Thomas). Instead, he swallowed his pride and started the guy he originally cut(Lindley) knowing Thomas was not ready to make the leap. I have complete faith in BA and Keim. GO CARDS!!!!!

9. By Jacob Hewitt on Feb 20, 2015 | Reply

logan thomas is way beter than carson palmer palmer sucks

10. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 20, 2015 | Reply

Clear up a few things I heard today;

1) On the radio, Bickley just said that he talked with Kent Sommers, and Kent said he has good sources that Adrian Peterson could be released and the cardinals would be very interested in signing him.

2) Patrick Peterson played last year with boarderline diabetes and low sugar. leading to his lack of energy.

3) Ellington played 12 games with a torn tendon, thus his lack of explosion.

Tell me, are these three things I heard TRUE or FALSE.

11. By Darren Urban on Feb 20, 2015 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Questions

1) I talk to Kent Somers quite a bit — I feel confident he never has gone quite that far in his analysis. Plus, Peterson may not be released.
    2) http://blog.azcardinals.com/2015/02/20/peterson-dealt-with-blood-issues/
    3) http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Focus-On-Andre-Ellington—And-Running-Backs/6ebf350d-690b-4b2c-91b6-80f87780fdf9

12. By Dr. G. on Feb 20, 2015 | Reply

Well, I trust that the maturity of Bidwell and Keim will corral the random thoughts of Arians that he displays as the “cool coach” and not always turn them into actions.

Though I am miffed occasionally with BA’s “Ready, Fire, Aim” statements, I have concluded that his desire to be cool and quotable helps to connect and be complimentary with his young players. That can be a good thing. BA is best to be compartmentalized as the HC//OC as he defines himself. He is having fun.

eg…BA’s is quoted: “He’s a good kid…((Winston))..” This good kid is immature beyond measure with all the disrespectful ongoing antics and his gigantic entitlement mentality. I even thought back in 2013 that the Cards should go after him…please forgive me.

Now…”if Fitz is healthy, he’ll get the damn ball” …I pause to see what that means. Fitz has a lot left if he is used to his strengths…

Darren – He skirted your tactful question on “looking in the mirror” by saying how hard he wants to work, not pointing to any 2014//2013 errors that can help to educate and improve 2015. His play calling was called into question by many fans and pro-writers//media.

Good work on the interviews….be well…

13. By Darren Urban on Feb 20, 2015 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Arians

He’s won 21 games in two seasons. Let’s not go overboard on picking nits.

14. By Dr. G. on Feb 20, 2015 | Reply

This may not fly if the current mgmt loves Stanton, but there looms a possible QB pick right around #24….Brett Hundley. He is compared to Mariota, and touted to be very mobile with a great arm, and smart without all the off-field nonsense.

Stanton’s release would help the cap issue; and he is not a long-term prospect.

And if Carson goes down, the SB run will be unlikely anyway. Carson leading with Thomas and Hundley should produce a 10-year solution…. And though an age concern, Palmer has had a very healthy career.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained….later….we will see…. ((need a LB there too)

15. By Dr. G. on Feb 20, 2015 | Reply

Darren – – Did not intend to nit pick… When the record is considered, I can see why my commentary can be interpreted as such… Too, we must give a tremendous amount of credit to the DEFENSE for the records posted; perhaps the lion’s share. ??

I just want to see this OFFENSE put the West on notice this year…you can’t fix what is not broken. Hopefully we can get healthy and stay that way…. G’day….

16. By NJAzCardsFan on Feb 20, 2015 | Reply

Can one assume Lindley is going to be released…???

17. By MikeinMesa on Feb 20, 2015 | Reply

Hey AS21. Its obviously me. As I wouldn’t have put in Lindley to have one of the worst performances of a qb of all time. If I was getting paid that much money I would have done what was best for the team. Not my ego.

18. By jeffy1951 on Feb 20, 2015 | Reply

If it isn’t obvious as an elephant in the room by now, Logan Thomas is going to get a TON of work this year and my guess is that by the end of training camp will have the full confidence of the coaches. There is no way a guy with his smarts and talent can go a year in the NFL and not make great strides just through “accidental osmosis” so if he applied himself to learning ON PURPOSE, the results should be easy to see. If not, then maybe it’s time to start looking elsewhere. Personally I hope he earns his keep and becomes a star.

19. By Phil C on Feb 20, 2015 | Reply

He’s got a cannon. Just has to hit the target.

20. By Dr. G. on Feb 21, 2015 | Reply

From all I’ve read, it appears BA encouraged Keim to draft Logan. He sees the truly rare up side although he is reticent to “”mess with his head,”” as he puts it.

“Now” is the time for all good coaches to come to the aid of their sophomore QB..! He should be at the mental point of readiness…been on big stages prior.

Dependent upon who is drafted, and//or if Drew is retained, Logan needs to play 8 quarters of the probable 4 pre-season games. As has been noted, we know what Palmer can do; just needs max time to get the knee fit… His work ethic is very good…be well Cards Fans

Side note: A 307lb line man beats Winston in the 40.! JWinston runs 4.97…must have discovered some free buffets. Shows how he values the NFL…””Shut up; I am entitled.””Curious to see if he slips…

21. By Coach K on Feb 21, 2015 | Reply

I think Logan is a great kid, and I wish him well this coming season, but accuracy is not something taught in one year. Timing is not something taught in one year. Quarterbacks are nurtured and refined from middle school to high school and college. Years of development and throwing the ball is what is required to turn coal into a diamond. From my understanding, Logan was a tight end turned into a quarterback in college. If this is accurate, I do not expect him to grasp timing and ball placement in his second year as a pro. He will need at least four years to make up for time lost in high school perfecting his craft. A strong arm means nothing if you cannot hit the side of a barn.

22. By Lee W. Flanagan on Feb 22, 2015 | Reply

It’s funny how so many of us are worrying about who may or may not be here next year. I can tell y’all one thing is that there are going to be a lot of cuts. Some easy and some tough. We (Cardinals ) have a lot of good talent surrounding the organization right now and with free agency and the draft coming up there should b be a much more balanced team next season. Cardinals are going to take the best available on the board in the draft and look at free agency to suppliment. After all that then comes the cuts that we are hoping for like the punter, kick returner, back up qb’s.right now it’s just babbling.

23. By Scott H on Feb 22, 2015 | Reply

A big off-season for Thomas? OK. I sure as hell have no problem being done with Ryan Lindley. But I’d say this is gonna have to be a REAL big off-season for Thomas if we are to feel confident he is AT LEAST a 3rd string option we can count on if we have to. Granted, as was true in 2014, if we lose Palmer AND Stanton, we are most likely finished. Would be the same for anybody else as well.

In 2014, the coaches were obviously afraid to let him play. OK. Well, you gotta take a quantum leap from THAT to being a QB that the coaches are now confident it IF that is what we are going to see in 2015.

I find myself not having a lot of confidence that Logan Thomas really offers anything in terms of the future for this team. But if he is gonna be the 3rd string QB for this team in 2015, then I want to believe we can count on him if we need to and won’t be scrambling to find Ryan Lindley in December if Stanton goes down again.

One thing for sure, though – with Palmer and Stanton being so solid and such known commodities, there sure ought to be plenty of time for Thomas to play in the pre-season.

24. By Jacob Hewitt on Feb 22, 2015 | Reply

Cards need Todd Gulry and Taulauniu Mariota O and Calais Campbell bell has big Cheeks Is this True Thomas Logan Is beter than Carson palmer did not throw a deep pass agents the broncos

25. By Dr. G. on Feb 22, 2015 | Reply

Aye, Flanagan…. Not getting the purpose of your commentary, but you are welcome…sounding a bit haughty…

26. By valour on Feb 23, 2015 | Reply

Oh geeze, more Ryan Lindley bashing? It’s like you can’t have one story about Logan Thomas without people whining about Lindley, and then BA’s judgement on which one to start.

You start the player who proves, during practice, that he knows the offense and can execute on it. However, football is like any other sport — beyond the physical ability, it is mostly a mental game. We don’t get to see what happens in practice, but based on the decisions and results, I’m guessing Lindley was a star in practice, whereas Thomas messed up some plays or couldn’t throw good passes with minimal coverage. If you can’t do it right in practice where there is no pass rush or crowd noise, then you sure as hell can’t do it on game day.

Having said that, Lindley was under enormous pressure, and that seems to have sabotaged him on game day, as it does so many athletes. He choked. That happens. Only way to overcome it is to get more game-day snaps. Some people are less prone to panic and can overcome fear and pressure and stress. Tom Brady, for instance — the guy is never panicked on the field. You can’t convince me that Tom Brady is a better passer or athlete than Ryan Lindley, but he does possess a superior ability to stay focused.

27. By dennis on Feb 23, 2015 | Reply

Logan THomas will never be the long term solution for the Cards at QB. I see him as another Ryan Lindley.

28. By Scott H on Feb 23, 2015 | Reply

valour –

Seriously? You won’t believe that Tom Brady is a better passer then Ryan Lindley?

Well, if the last decade-plus of Tom Brady’s career and all the times he’s been to the playoffs and all the times he’s been to the AFC title game and all the times he’s been to the SB and all the times he’s WON the SB haven’t convinced you….then I’m sure as hell not gonna try.

If what you are saying is that there is really no difference between Tom Brady and Ryan Lindley, then that has to be one of THE most utterly ridiculous statements I have ever heard. Perhaps you might have considered trying to make that point with any one of hundreds of other names.

But when you put Tom Brady in there, you went to a point where I can’t even take you seriously.