Narrowing down where Cards are with cap

Posted by Darren Urban on February 24, 2015 – 11:37 am

The Cardinals have saved about $15.3 million in cap space for 2015 with just two moves thus far this offseason: Re-doing Larry Fitzgerald’s contract and releasing Ted Ginn. More moves are inevitable (the Cardinals are talking with Darnell Dockett now in an effort to re-do his deal and lower his cap number.)

Where are the Cards cap-wise? Right now, it’s kind of a moot point.

We still do not know what the salary cap will even be in 2015. Most estimates put it around $143M, but it won’t be finalized until we come upon the new league year March 10. (In 2014, the cap was $133M.) On top of that, the Cardinals will carry over about $4.2M of cap space from last season, meaning their cap number for 2015 (assuming the $143M number is correct) will be slightly north of $147 million.

When the league year opens, it’s only the top 51 cap numbers on the roster that count. That’s how a team’s cap number is determined until we get to the first week of the regular season (when everyone, even on the practice squad and injured reserve, counts on the cap.) In the always murky world of constantly changing cap numbers, the Cardinals apparently are going to have about $139M or $140M in their top 51 as of today.

Again, that’s before any other moves — before a Dockett decision is reached, before any other players are cut and before any free agents on the street right now (there was a report tight end James Casey, cut by Philly, will visit the Cardinals) might sign prior to March 10. Team president Michael Bidwill reiterated the Cardinals plan to be aggressive in free agency, so freeing up more cap space seems a foregone conclusion.

Capbloguse

Tags: , ,

42 Responses to “Narrowing down where Cards are with cap”

1. By Jacob Hewitt on Feb 24, 2015 | Reply

Daren if they lower Docket cap number Docket will leave the Arizona Cardinals.Docket is on a short rope . Just to let you no it is Warning.

2. By D on Feb 24, 2015 | Reply

I could be wrong, but with the Cap space available by several teams north of 20-25mil and much more, I don’t see AZ going to be able to blow away any top names that will be UFA come 3-10.
    With the number of pass rushers that appear in this year’s draft, I am thinking since the Cards will not be able to sign one of the top 7-8 pass rushers in free agency, but will take one in the first round in the draft. I see AZ signing more mid level type of players in areas of need. Maybe a starting Guard, but rotational RB and or LB’s.

RB: D. McFadden, R. Brown, K. Moreno
    LB’s: J. Durant, B. Jones, S. Acho
    Guards: W. Colon, R. Sims, B. Grubbs (when released)
    DT: T. Kelly, K. Ellis, P. Sims

Pass rusher in 1st round of draft. (E. Harold could be an option)
    Best ILB in 2nd round (the top 3 appear 2nd round prospects)
    NT in round 3
    CB in round 4

3. By krehbieo14 on Feb 24, 2015 | Reply

I like “aggressive.” There are more cap considerations, including Dockett, Carlson, Sendlein, and Williams prior to FA. Who will be back at what price? It would seem that the Cards will target a pass rusher, cornerback and inside linebacker in free agency. Carlson will probably be gone along with Cro. Dockett will be asked to eat humble pie. Let’s see how it shakes out!

4. By rod (Eddie Goldman RD1) on Feb 24, 2015 | Reply

Michael Bidwill is knocking it out of the park with his ownership of this franchise.

Now they are redoing the practice gym and cafeteria and stuff we as fans will never be a part of but it’s pedal to the metal time, he’s all in AND smart about it at the same time.

Go BASK MB.

5. By Jacob Hewitt on Feb 24, 2015 | Reply

rod (Eddie Goldman RD1 Who is the best draft pick for the Cardinals Coment

6. By georgiebird on Feb 24, 2015 | Reply

The last Cardinals’ rookie offensive player to take the NFL by storm was OJ Anderson in 1979. Some others like Larry have had nice first years but not extra special.
    The last Cardinals’ defensive player to play lights out in his rookie season- Simeon Rice comes the closest. PP as a punt returner.
    We’re drafting later but it’s time for SK to find a jewel.

7. By georgiebird on Feb 24, 2015 | Reply

Hope my math is right (and Darren may have said it before)- but with the 2015 season, the Cards will be in Arizona (28 seasons) as long as they were in St. Louis.

8. By georgiebird on Feb 24, 2015 | Reply

With the Cards continuing to use the 3-4, I would get rid of DD in a heart-beat. The best I saw of DD was playing DT (in the 4-3) in the Super Bowl. DD teamed with Gabe Watson to give the Cardinals as imposing a DT tandem as they’ve ever had..

9. By Andy Kw on Feb 24, 2015 | Reply

Mathias Kiwanuka. We should pick him up off waiver wire
    2yr 3M

10. By Marlin on Feb 24, 2015 | Reply

They could extend a few guys with an extra year, and reduce the cap hit for 2015….guys like Larsen and Stanton are up end of this year….and they’d likely accept a one year extension that moves some cap space forward.

11. By Marlin on Feb 24, 2015 | Reply

Cro is gone, Acho and Williams only stay if they accept a reasonable rate, Carlson is on the bubble. They’re going to need another receiver because Jaron Brown is hurt and will miss all of training camp and maybe pre-season…..that means he loses a lot of development time.

12. By krehbieo14 on Feb 24, 2015 | Reply

Marlin,

It is my understanding that Jaron Brown will miss off-season workouts, but will be available for training camp. There was no surgery necessary.

13. By Scott H on Feb 24, 2015 | Reply

Geez….I find it interesting that one player we are already targeting is ( drumroll, please…..) a TIGHT END. Really? My first impulse is to wonder why, but I won’t bother. And the reason I say that is because this team just does not ( and HAS NOT for so may years now ) utilize the TE enough for it to matter.

Seriously, when was the last time a TE was truly a factor for the Arizona Cardinals? Who was president then?

Over the last several years, it has not mattered who plays TE for this team. Never mind the names – when you look at stats, you would think it must be the same guy year in, year out. Because regardless of who plays the position for this team, the overall production is the same.

And it’s not gonna change as long as the offensive philosophy stays the same, so….why does it matter who our TE’s are??? I think the guys we have on thee roster right now could do a whole lot more if they were given more opportunities.

14. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 24, 2015 | Reply

Georgiebird;

I guess you forgot about Boldin in 2003. Setting rookie records.

101 catches , 1377 yards and 8 TDs.

I’d say that is taking the NFL by storm

15. By Andy Kw on Feb 24, 2015 | Reply

I want Vic Beasley. I do not care if we trade our 1st and 3rd rd pick to get him. If he is still around at 15, make your move.

16. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 24, 2015 | Reply

Scott H,

He isn’t a true TE. In fact, he is a good player with no position. Kind of a TE, Kind of a FB, Kind of an H Back.

Casey is a guy that needs a coach to be creative. He can block in motion (maybe take that from Larry). He can block in the backfield picking up blitzes. He has good hands and can catch the ball underneath.

But at 6’3″ and 240, he is on the smaller size for TEs. Maybe he can fill the role left by Housler?

No, not a block buster deal, but neither was Larson, who started most of the year.

17. By BigAL on Feb 24, 2015 | Reply

JTDG
    You beat me to the punch!
    re: georgiebird

As I was looking up the stats of Anquan’s rookie year… then came back on here &
    there you/they were! Thank you! And so I’ll just add… & wasn’t his opening debut game some type of rookie record at the time? 10rec, 217yds, 2TD’s…I’d call that a storm in the Desert!

18. By Coach K on Feb 24, 2015 | Reply

Andy KW

Vic Beasley is a great pick but not worth giving up a 3rd rounder for. no way. The Dupree kid is just as talented. and, the Owa Odighizuwa kid from UCLA is this years Zeke Ansah (only leaner and faster).

If the Cardinals have an option of either Dupree or Odighizuwa at pick #24, I guarantee you they take one or the other.

19. By Black1137 on Feb 24, 2015 | Reply

Figuring out what we’re going to buy at the store is moot. Let’s wait until we see what’s available before we get too excited over a free agent. Kiem has made some really good choices shopping at the Dollar as opposed to going to the mall.

20. By georgiebird on Feb 24, 2015 | Reply

@JTDG & Big Al
    Sorry for being unclear- I was talking about #1 draft choices.

21. By Andy Kw on Feb 24, 2015 | Reply

Coach K-
    I totally forgot about Alvin Dupree. He has pass rush talent with speed, strength, and a lot of good traits similar to Vic Beasley. The reason why I like Beasley more is because he had more success as a pash rusher than him in college. Either one I’m fine with but Beasley truly looks like the real deal

22. By Coach K on Feb 24, 2015 | Reply

ANOTHER HIGHLY POSSIBLE MOCK

1. Alvin “Bud” Dupree, DE, Kentucky
    2. Tre’ Jackson, OG, Florida St.
    3. Jeremy Langford, RB, Mich. St.
    4. Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson
    5. B.J. Finney, C, Kansas St.
    6. Antwan Goodley, WR, KR, Baylor
    7. Sean Mannion, QB, Oreg. St
    7b. Justin Coleman, CB, Tenn.

Every need met. Jackson is a physical road grader. Langford is a hard runner who is excellent at pass protection. Finney is tough and holds his ground. Goodley
    is an upgrade over Ginn, and is the kind of receiver B.A. loves, and he returns kicks. I’m sticking with the coaches son as my quarterback project to compete
    with Logan.

23. By jasonc on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

georgiebird-

We ran a 3-4 defense in 2008.

24. By D on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

Coach K– I like Dupree in the First round, but some of your picks will be filled in free agency. I think they will sign a G and RB in free agency, so your picks in Round 2 and 3 would need changed. I would think of drafting a ILB in Round 2.
    A player to add along with a free agent ILB that Foote can coach up.
    I just don’t see a rookie starting next to Massie as an upgrade on the Right Side of the Line versus a solid free agent Right G addition.

You did forget the need at NT since Dan Williams will be too expensive for the Cards beer budget, so you could draft J. MBU from Houston in Round 3. He is your classic NT coke machine player that takes up to offensive lineman.

25. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

Coach K,

Got to pick on you a bit.

You said that there is no way Anthony drops to round 3 on the last blog and now have him mocked in the 4th. What?🙂

No David Cobb? Listen, 40 times mean little. Fitz ran a 4.7 and we watched him outrun everyone to the endzone in the super bowl. You were so strong on this guy, don’t let a slow 40 change your mind.

I think Mannion is going higher. I’m hearing a lot of Glennon comparisons, which he went in round 3. I think he will go in round 4 but will not make it out of round 5.

Jackson and Finney would be solid O lineman.

As for Dupree, will any of the big 5 pass rushers make it to 24? (Ray, Gregory, Dupree, Fowler, Beasley)

26. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

My Guess at the top 23 picks; (in no order)

QB Winston
    SS/LB Thompson
    DE Arik Armstead
    DT Malcom Brown
    RB Gurley

If any of them fall to 24, that is our pick

27. By clssylssy on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

Jacoby Jones would look good in Cardinal red as a return man and replacement for Ginn🙂

28. By georgiebird on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

@Jason C
    We ran a 4-3 in the SB. Gabe Watson was the other DT.

29. By georgiebird on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

@JasonC
    2008 Cards had no NT. Chike Okeafor and Antonio Smith the DEs and Watson, DD and Alan Branch the DT’s.
    Gerald Hayes was the MLB

30. By Scott H on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

clssylssy –

As has often been the case, I’m right there with ya regarding Jacoby Jones! Just saw that he was cut by the Ravens.

31. By jason on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

georgiebird-

Bryan Robinson played NT and he was backed up by Gabe Watson. Dockett, Smith, Campbell and Branch played DE. Hayes, Dansby and Beisel were ILB’s and Laboy, Haggans, Berry and Okeafor played OLB.

We started playing 3-4 when Whiz came to town.

32. By Scott H on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

JTDG –

Hey, bud. As always, your responses are thoughtful and informative. You know far more about Casey than I do. But I stand by my point and general feeling that John Carlson could be a damn productive TE here if he were given a chance to BE more productive. And what about Niklas??? Have we moved on from him already??? I just don’t think we need more or different TE’s – I think we need to USE our TE’s more than we do ( whoever they are.).

And I have to ask you this – when you refer to the role left by Housler….exactly what role was that???? The role of a guy who really did next to nothing during his time here??? Gotta be honest, I’m not looking for someone to fill that role! 🙂

But I don’t mean to be harsh toward Housler. He seems to be yet another in a long line of TE’s over the last several years who had the same very limited role that our TE’s have every year. I would not be surprised if Housler went somewhere else next year and suddenly became a pretty productive player. Shoot. give him a year with the Patriots, who love to use their TE’s and who give everyone a chance to make plays. One season there, and I guarantee people would be more aware of him than they are right now after 3 ( ? ) seasons with Arizona.

33. By Big Ken on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

Cromartie is headed back to New York. I think we draft a CB in the second maybe the third round. There are some good ones out there this year.

34. By Coach K on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

JTDG

Yes, I said Anthony would not fall below round 3, but I had a strange feeling that Keim was going to grab a running back in round three. I was so disappointed with Cobb’s time, it really messed up my mock. Granted, Cobb is a better athlete than most of the other backs as a pure athlete, and he does have that killer jump cut ability I like, but I just could not figure out how he ran a 4.80 time with that much athletic ability. I’m not saying its the end of the world. After all, Jerome Bettis ran in the 4.70 range coming out of Notre Dame and he managed to do well, so it’s possible Cobb is simply a guy who knows how to make those 5 to 9 yard runs to keep the sticks moving. And if so, I still like him, but that 40 time is moving him down into the 5th round or lower for sure.

I liked Langford because he had excellent pass blocking skills in addition to being a very tough runner inside. Watching him on film, he reminded me of Murray of the Cowboys. Same exact running style. So I went with Langford in round three as a better fit for the Cards.

You may be right on Mannion, but I feel the bigger needs of O-line, Linebackers and running back left no room for him in my mock in the top 6 rounds. I agree he will probably get drafted in round 4 or 5. Maybe even the 3rd if a team is desperate enough.

I have a feeling some major trades will take place on top this draft moving guys like Dupree down a few rounds. I think of the five you mention, Dupree falls to us. I agree if any of your list falls to #24, the probability is high they will be a Cardinal. All of them are definite blue chippers.

If 4 receivers go in the top 20, I think we get Dupree.

35. By clssylssy on Feb 26, 2015 | Reply

I see the Panthers are reaching out to Ginn…as well as Jacoby Jones!

36. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 26, 2015 | Reply

Scott H,

TE’s role:

If you can’t run the ball, LBs aren’t buying the play action. That is why BA keeps stressing the guys have to block well first.
    Then the LBs will come up to take on the block and the TEs can slip by and be open inside, or force safeties up, allowing one on ones outside. Until we can run the ball, you won’t see much to TEs.

As for Niklas and Fells, they both showed they can block. I would say they are our two starters. With better guard play and a healthy RB / new back, we will be able to run the ball. I think Niklas and Fells will have big years. (30-40 catches).

As for having a Gates type TE, let me ask you this. Do you want Palmer taking away targets to Fitz, Floyd, Brown, and Ellington to hit the TE more? Teams like the Chargers and Chiefs have always run the ball well and not had dominating wrs on the outside.That is why those guys catch so much. Gronk and Graham are physical freaks. Again, the team can run the ball and they are the best option on the field. I think BA prefers his wide outs to be his weapons.

Caseys / Houslers role:
    Catching a TE screen, going in motion and either blocking or going out in the flat. One TE with some speed to challenge the middle of the field. Be in the backfield to pick up a blitz or be an outlet receiver. Make one big first down a game. A play the BA hold back till needed at the right moment.

You saw it with our FB. He would make one play a game and people wanted him to be the starting RB and called him a beast. Hughes had 8 catches and 7 carries, yet he was called a beast. Casey could have 20-25 catches and 16 of them be big 1st downs. That is what Housler did for half a year. Housler had 9 catches for 129 yards for a 14 yards a catch average. Casey will be 22 catches for 265 yards and a 12 yard a catch average.

37. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 26, 2015 | Reply

Georgiebird / jason

Jason is right on this one. Don’t you remember the talk about Berry having to convert to OLB? To be fair, there was some hybrid stuff going on, but it was a 3-4 defense .

38. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 26, 2015 | Reply

Coach K,

QBs coach ?? Thus why you want more O lineman🙂

I coached LBs and became a D-Cord. Thus, why I want defense.

Although, I would like to see a better O line and another RB to go with Ellington.

I think of Ellington as Reggie Bush. He is a playmaker but can’t carry the load for 16 games. That is why the Lions have Bell to go with him.

I think, unless a playmaker like Dupree or Armstead is there, Gurley has to be strongly considered.

39. By chris on Feb 26, 2015 | Reply

Every one talks like Dan W. is a super star,he played average last year and the years before that he wasn’t even average,yes he had a couple of real nice games but very inconsistent.
    His new contract will not be out of are target.
    Plus he has to be watched because he likes to eat in the off season and show up out of shape.His last year of his contract and he decides to do the right thing,teams are going to wonder if he is going to pull that again and weighting to his last year on his contract to perform!

40. By Coach K on Feb 26, 2015 | Reply

JTDG

You caught me. Yes, give me a nasty o-line and I can go to war.

In our high schools up north we never got the kinds of o-line kids they get at Peoria, Mesa and other valley schools. We always had to try and make 6-2, 215 pound guys into offensive lineman to pay against kids in the Valley going 6-5, 280 and usually at least three of them on each team.

So yes, give me the hogs to protect my quarterbacks. Absolutely.

41. By Scott H on Feb 26, 2015 | Reply

JTDG –

I hear ya. First, I never said we need an Antonio Gates type. Sure, that would be nice. But we don’t need our TE’s to reach THAT level of productivity to be significantly more productive than they are now. And in regard to the Chargers always running the ball well, I’m not so sure I’ve seen that. They sure were a dominant running team when LT was there during his peak years. Since then….who has really been a standout RB for that team? Vincent Jackson was a dominant WR for the Chargers when he was there. And Dwayne Bowe DID have that one year for the Chiefs where he blew the roof off. Of course, he hasn’t been heard from since….

Do I want to see targets being taken away from Fitz, Floyd, Brown to hit the TE more? Well….IF that actually happened and IF that was making the team BETTER on offense because of it….then my answer is YES! Seems to me Fitz and Floyd WERE being targeted less in 2014 and that never equated to more productivity from our TE’s. Maybe if more targets HAD gone to the TE’s, Ellington would not have been run into the ground the way he was. I guess my view of this is that I don’t necessarily see why our WR’s have to be LESS involved for the TE’s to be MORE involved.

Where I absolutely agree with you is the need for a better running game. And we probably would have had that with Dwyer in the mix. His loss was devastating for this team in that it – more than anything else – resulted in Ellington being run into the ground pretty quick. Running the ball effectively makes every aspect of the offense better. For this reason, I hope RB is THE focus of this off-season. We need a big power back to be the thunder to complement the lightning we have with Ellington. There can be NO doubt about that after the disaster our offense became when we couldn’t run the ball worth a damn from the point of the first game against Seattle on.

I know we have other needs for sure, but RB is tops on my list.

2. Feb 25, 2015: Cardinals Blogs | Possible Palmer restructure as Cards cut cap