Possible Palmer restructure as Cards cut cap

Posted by Darren Urban on February 25, 2015 – 4:10 pm

Carson Palmer didn’t even get to play a full game after signing his contract extension late last season. Now, before the first season of that extension kicks in, Palmer reportedly could be restructuring it to ease his salary cap number of $14.5 million. Mike Jurecki first reported Palmer the possibility.

Palmer is due a roster bonus of $9.5 million (in addition to a $1M salary) this season. Add in his current $4M of bonus proration of $4M, and that’s his $14.5M cap hit. If the Cardinals were to turn the roster bonus into a signing bonus — which would then be distributed evenly over the remaining four years of the contract in terms of the cap — it’d take his cap number all the way down to about $7.4M for 2015. Of course, that also pushes more dead money on to future caps as well.

These are the choices a team makes, however, especially when it feels it can compete — as long as everyone stays healthy. Like Palmer. We’ll see if his contract gets an update. With more and more players getting released around the NFL and the market already flooded with players, there will be opportunities to sign contributors for reasonable prices. That’s why the Cardinals are trying to loosen more cap room. Neither General Manager Steve Keim or president Michael Bidwill has been shy of sharing the concept of the Cardinals being aggressive in free agency.

PalmercontractBLOG

Tags: , , , ,

36 Responses to “Possible Palmer restructure as Cards cut cap”

1. By Andy Kw on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

Palmer would still be earning a lot of money. Please restructure the deal!!! If we can restructure Palms and Dockett’s deal as well, our team should be set with a good cap number for a good push for FAs. I’m sure the Cards still have a few more players to cut as well, adding more cap. Everything Steve Keim is doing now is great. General Manager of the year again? I think so

2. By jeffgollin on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

In a perfect world, we’d set ourselves up to be 3 starting QBs deep (Carson, Drew, Logan) plus a developmental guy with a high upside for the PS.

Two variables: Palmer and Stanton staying healthy and giant steps by Thomas development-wise. (Make that 3 – the developmental guy has to be good enough).

3. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

jeffgollin —

RE: QBs

Here is the flaw: There are not enough practice snaps/time to develop Thomas, much less Thomas and another practice squad guy. Not possible with current limitations on practice time.

4. By Jon on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

With Ginn gone, bring in Jacoby Jones, as he would be a huge upgrade.

5. By clssylssy on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

Darren…
    Given the restrictions imposed that inhibit the development of Thomas by the CBA (practice snaps allowed etc), is there anything stopping the franchise from getting him outside help from EXOS or a similar facility, like Kaepernick did? It seems to me that this would be a much smarter investment if BA sees the potential there, rather than wasting picks yearly on the QB lottery with the draft. As you stated in your article, this years QB class is not that strong and it seems the Cards have many needs so that using a pick on an iffy QB (aren’t they all) is going to put us farther behind. I understand BA’s thinking in not using Thomas last season prematurely,and he has said he plans to get him more exposure this season, but without enough practice snaps or outside tutoring, I think he will be eaten alive by a fanbase with unrealistic expectations, expecting (hoping for) Andrew Luck in Logan Thomas’s body?

6. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

clssy —

RE: Thomas

He’d have to do it on his own. Team cannot.

7. By jwoodaz on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

How ironic to go down right after the restructured contract, this sport can keep you guessing year after year. Personally hoping for a strong come back for Palmer. He’s finally in a great situation team wise, and maybe mentally too. Looking forward to a strong team again this year. Go Cards!!

8. By Big Ken on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

Restructuring Carson’s deal? That’s interesting. I wonder if they are considering one or two ‘big’ free agents? Not a clone of Ted Ginn or other roster filler.

9. By Scott H on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

Hey, why not? I wasn’t even thinking about Palmer as a contract that could be re-arranged to offer some immediate cap relief, but….that’s probably why Steve Keim is an NFL general manager and I am not.

Gotts say, I like the way these guys do business. It shows an aggressiveness and preparedness that always seemed so lacking during the off-seasons under Rod Graves. I found those FA periods – especially the last three or so during that regime – to be painful and infuriating. Seemed like we were never ready to strike out of the gate when FA started, we were HARDLY aggressive, we always seemed to be bargain basement shopping, and – perhaps due to Whiz’ connection to them – we were always stuck in the mode of looking at used up ex-Steelers.

Give me the trio of Michael Bidwell, Keim, and BA any day. Not just aggressive, but EFFECTIVE as well.

10. By All day on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

I think restructuring Palmers deal is definitely a good idea. But if dockett doesn’t want to restructure he needs to be cut or possibly traded but I’m guessing no value for him. As for FA’s Id love to see us try and pick up Frank Gore Jerry Hughes and Aj Hawk given all of them make it to the open market. Hawk has already been cut and would only be for added depth depending on the Washington Situation and Gore would be a good RB to have aside Ellington. As for Hughes the chances of signing him are small but he’s a good player and is still young and if he hits the market would be a solid signing at the right price. Also wouldn’t mind seeing us bring in another WR personally I think Floyd Fitzgerald and Brown are good but Floyd scares me a little. He’s still young and really yet to prove himself and that makes me nervous. Also Darren what would arizonas interest be if adrian Peterson hits the open market. Think they’d consider interviewing him at least?

11. By jeffy1951 on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

A “flaw”? – maybe, maybe not. It seems to me that Arians and staff are already pretty confident in the ability and competence of Carson and Drew SO maybe Logan gets a lot more work than he ordinarily would due to the rehab status of the 2 vets and will even get significant work in preseason games this year. What better way to segue Logan’s career than using the ultra conservative approach of the vet’s rehabilitation as a reason to use Logan more than would be the norm.

12. By Coach K on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

I never thought about the practice time. Interesting.

AS you know, I’m a big believer in Sean Mannion as the sleeper QB in this draft. Many have said he reminds them of Glennon. Personally, having watched Mannion play several times and especially his decision making and ability to see the entire field, he actually reminds me of a young Peyton Manning. Having coached quarterbacks for the last ten years of my coaching career, I see little things in Mannion’s game that tell me this guy is going to be a franchise guy for someone. I hope the Cardinals see what I see and take a chance on him.

This may sound absolutely nuts, but I like Mannion more than Mariotta and Winston. Again, its the little things he does and how he places the ball that tell me he’s going to be big time!

13. By georgiebird on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

With Palmer coming back from injury, the Cards will now do everything necessary to upgrade the RB situation and that means a #1 draft choice. All the edge rushers are not going to protect Palmer in 2015.
    The ghosts of Thomas Jones, Garrison Hearst and Beanie Wells are staring us in the face but this team needs a monster RB who will give CP a chance to win football games throwing no more than 25-30 passes a game.
    Hopefully, BASK are high enough on a RB to take him #1.

14. By Canadian Redbird on Feb 25, 2015 | Reply

Darren:

What is Palmer’s salary compared to Tom Brady. I’m thinking that wre paying Palmer more than Brady, if so somethings wrong with this story line. Thanks

15. By Darren Urban on Feb 26, 2015 | Reply

Canadian —

RE: Brady

I don’t want to go down the Brady rabbit hole because my understanding is that there is no good information on exactly how Brady’s deal works — in other words, I don’t know if he’s making less, and if he is, it might just be numbers moved around.

But Palmer is getting market rate. Let’s say you don’t pay him. Who’s your quarterback?

16. By rod (Eddie Goldman RD1) on Feb 26, 2015 | Reply

Finally somebody else is Mocking Eddie Goldman to the Cards in round 1…yeah!

17. By freeperjim on Feb 26, 2015 | Reply

Long time Carson fan here…and ex-Bungle fan. Cincy really screwed Carson – especially the Owner/GM and Head Coach – by playing to Ochostinko’s every whim. Sadly, O-stinko never knew how to run accurate routes and left Carson out-to-dry.

Carson getting traded to Raiders was a step up…and still football hell.

The Cards are a blessing for Carson – great ability and really good guy.

I’d love to see Carson/Cards win a ring this season.

One suggestion – improve OL, especially the inner OL and get better blocking for Carson and also the RB’s. A strong OL – from tackle to tackle – can do wonders for the passing AND running game.

Go Cards!

18. By D on Feb 26, 2015 | Reply

If C. Palmer gives the Cards even more cap space, then S. Keim will be able to sign more free agents. With the uncertainty of DWash and the loss of Larry Foote to coaching, I see the Cards adding 2 ILB this offseason to go along with Minter, Carson and Demens. I believe both will be added through free agency. I think the players will be lesser known cap friendly linebackers. Both J. Lattimore from the Packers and C McCarthy from TN have had some injury histories but if checked out medically, could improve the speed and athleticism of the LB corp that BA has stated he is looking to add. Then the Cards can find OLB and DE pass rushers in the draft.
    I would also try and resign T. Kelly and S. Acho.
    Other free agents that I would pursue would be O. Franklin G from Denver, D. McFadden RB from Oakland and D. Skuta OLB from SF.

19. By Lee W. Flanagan on Feb 26, 2015 | Reply

Off subject but glad to hear that Ted Ginn jr. finally got cut. Should have done it mid season. Anyone heard about that horrible punter that couldn’t punt more than 40 yards?

20. By jasonc on Feb 26, 2015 | Reply

Every one does realize that Palmer was 6-0 last year right?!? His nerve injury was a freak thing and probably should’ve been prevented by sliding and the knee was just kind of a freak thing.

21. By jasonc on Feb 26, 2015 | Reply

I said freak thing twice…haha

22. By Marlin on Feb 26, 2015 | Reply

This is a great idea. Even if Carson is our QB for only 2 more seasons, its not much dead money after that.

23. By Marlin on Feb 26, 2015 | Reply

I think we are going after a big time starting O-Guard in free agency…..maybe Iupati.

24. By Anthony on Feb 26, 2015 | Reply

What about restructuring Washington? He didn’t play a single game in 2014 and will, in all reality, miss at least a small portion of games in 2015. I don’t see why we should pay a part time player 6.5mil. We don’t even know what kind of shape he’s in, how well he’s gonna play next season. That’s a huge risk to me.

25. By Scott H on Feb 26, 2015 | Reply

All Day –

Frank Gore has been a remarkably durable and productive RB and he just keeps going, even when the experts keep saying he is due to fall off and hit the wall. Seems like the 49ers keep wanting someone to take his place and he just keeps rolling along.

Part of me would love to have Frank Gore. But at this point….I could see him coming here and THEN hitting the wall.

26. By brinnc on Feb 26, 2015 | Reply

In my bottom of the ladder rung opinion, I think the Cardinals should re-do PP’s contract, he needs to do his fair share and be a team player, being paid as the top CB in the league, and not even being the #1 CB on your team (Cromartie clearly outplayed PP) doesnt seem like much of a team player if he doesnt “chip in” and restructure his contract. I think Carson Palmer is the key to our Cardinals hoisting the Lombardi Trophy next season!! Not saying we couldnt do it without him, but in my eyes he is the one Player we cant afford to lose!!
    Stanton as well needs a restructure of his contract, Im not so sure he is on the 53 man roster if he refuses to help the team.

JTDG
    I defer to your expertise on this, but isnt Stanton due something like $3.5mil? For some reason that figure is sticking in my mind, is that accurate, or am I out in left field somewhere??
    He is a very good backup, but not sure the #’s of his contract match his worth to the team. Could go Thomas as #2 then draft a QB in 6-7 round or sign an UDFA rookie (maybe even Mannion, good chance he is still on the board at 6-7 round), but if Thomas hasnt developed enough to take over the #2 QB then we may end up shooting ourselves in the foot.

FA Wishlist
    A.J.Hawk
    J.Worlids (still cant spell)
    B. Orakpo
    “Stud Right Guard”
    “A few role players as well, of course”

DRAFT
    Fan of trading out of 1st Round – minimum of a 2nd & 4th, very high pick in 4th. Or possibly even a 2nd & 3rd if a team is desparate!
    OLB/Pass Rusher class is deep again this year, getting one in the 2nd is very little if any fall-off from a late 1st rounder, snag either a
    RB or ILB with the additional 2nd rd pick, leaning toward ILB only because there seems to be much more depth at RB, than ILB.
    Seems ILB is very thin again this year, especially a 3down ILB!
    As much as I hate to admit it, the Cardinals need to address the CENTER position as well, either rounds 3-4 in draft, or spend some cash on a solid proven “name” veteran, dont think we can put if off another season. Sendlin has been an anchor, and as an UDFA rookie signing, he was one hell of a bargain, the needle in the haystack find, but father time is starting to not only catch up to him, but seems to be overtaking him. (I feel your pain Lyle!! Father time has done beat hell out of me!! LOL!)
    Would love to see the Cardinals take a hard look at Justin Hardy/ECU (Ithink he has been mentioned on her before) he could be the answer for KR/PR, and he is NO joke at WR!! Leads the NCAA in career catches, that doesnt happen by accident folks, and honestly (yes there is a small bias) but being as neutral as I can be, he reminds me of Fitz coming out of college, he can/will catch anything thrown in his area code, I think it would prove to be an awesome pickup for the Cardinals!! Whoever gets this kid will NOT be disappointed!

Georgiebird

Still politicking for the 4-3 huh?? At least you are persistent, I have to give you credit for that!! LOL!!
    But NO! NO! NO! It just isnt happening, shouldnt happen, and with more and more teams using the 3-4, just dont see it happening anytime in the future!! With close to 75% of NFL teams playing the 3-4 now, and more tra

27. By brinnc on Feb 26, 2015 | Reply

Continuation from above (hit the send bottom on accident!)

With more teams making the transition to the 3-4 the quality and quatity of both OLB & ILB will improve greatly, will be a little easier to find and sign quality veterans, of course still drafting the youngsters is a must, but there will be more and more talent to choose from that excel in the 3-4!

28. By Scott H on Feb 26, 2015 | Reply

brinnc –

I agree with everything you say about Peterson! Bravo! If players like Fitz and Palmer – players who ARE so much more important to this team AND who have played so much better at their positions than Peterson has at his – can be asked to move things around to help the team’s cap situation, then why not PP? At this point, I think it’s fair to say that PP owes us, both on AND off the field.

29. By brinnc on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

ScottH
    First, I think this is a first, someone who actually agrees with an opinion of mine! LOL!
    Ifind it kind of strange that we hear all this talk of renegotiating of contracts but never hear PP mentioned, could it be tha the Cardinals already approached him and he flat out refused, he does hold all the leverage, unlike the other players, mainly the older players, I would love to see PP re-do his contract, I have stated from day 1 he should not have been given that fat contract tobegin with, Cardinals still had 2 years of control on PP, he could still be on his rookie contract and we could have tagged him the following season, and if he didnt like it then yes, he could have left but that would not have happened for three seasons, and if he continues to perform like he did last season, his new contract, when it finally came time to talk “turkey” would have been much more team friendly! Although I believe he should never have gotten that huge contract (paying him as the #1 CB in the NFL, when he wasnt even #1 CB on his team is just stupid!! I will say I believe all professional athletes are ridiculously overpaid, it has gotten to the stupid level, $100’s of millions of dollars to play a freaking game!! I cant accept that, I’m sorry!) but back to PP, I was totally against his huge contract before he got it, when I saw the Cards made him the highest paid CB in the league, I about fainted, after all, he is horrible in run support, always has been, always will be, rates as the worst in the league im willing to bet!! But I just had this feeling he was going to spend his time counting his cash and not spending it on improving his game, I have a very eerie feeling we have seen the best of PP, this past season was not a fluke, not a down year due to injury, rather it is the standard, it is all we are going to get from PP! The only effort he will give is to get to the bank to cash that fat paycheck! I hope like hell that I’m wrong, but I dont think Iam on this one!!

2. Feb 28, 2015: 2015 NFL Free Agency: A Cap-Space Guide for Every Team - Yackity Yack Sports - Yackity Yack Sports
  3. Feb 28, 2015: 2015 NFL Free Agency: A Cap-Space Guide for Every Team – Sports nSite
  4. Feb 28, 2015: 2015 NFL Free Agency: A Cap-Space Guide for Every Team - Sportsupdated
  5. Feb 28, 2015: 2015 NFL Free Agency: A Cap-Space Guide for Every Team - sportunate
  6. Feb 28, 2015: 2015 NFL Free Agency: A Cap-Space Guide for Every Team - Sports News Wrap
  7. Mar 6, 2015: Cardinals Blogs | Clarifying Palmer’s (near) restructure