The notion of Adrian Peterson

Posted by Darren Urban on February 27, 2015 – 10:26 am

I’m always hesitant to bring up Adrian Peterson in any context with this team because of the emotions it evokes. The story has been told countless times, how the Cardinals, picking fifth in 2007, passed up the chance to draft Adrian Peterson and instead took tackle Levi Brown. We all know how that worked out for both sides. The Cardinals had allowed Leonard Davis to leave in free agency and needed a left tackle. And Edgerrin James was coming off his first season in Arizona. Plus, new coach Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm felt the Cardinals had to upgrade their offensive line because without that, it didn’t matter who might be behind that line carrying the ball.

Yeah, it didn’t quite work out. Did I mention that?

The other part of that story is that, while Whiz and Grimm ruled the day getting the tackle they wanted in that draft, that then-director of college scouting Steve Keim wanted to take Peterson. He felt Peterson was a difference maker.

(It’s fun to look back at that 2007 draft. Tampa could have had Peterson at No. 4, they went DE Gaines Adams. The just-cut Ted Ginn went ninth to the Dolphins. Meanwhile the Niners got Patrick Willis at 11 and Buffalo took Marshawn Lynch at 12. That seems so long ago.)

So we flash forward to 2015, and yesterday’s news that Peterson’s ongoing suspension, or whatever it might be, has been bounced back to an arbitrator after a judge ruled his ongoing punishment for last year’s issues with child discipline went too far. Peterson’s situation has not been resolved. That’s the most important part of this right now. It’s also important to note that a) Peterson is under contract with the Vikings and b) the Vikings continue to say they want Peterson on their team in 2015. So any speculation about him being anywhere but Minnesota this season is just that — speculation and guesswork.

There was a report that Peterson’s agent and someone from the Vikings got into a heated discussion at the Scouting combine and that Peterson’s agent wasn’t keen on Peterson staying a Viking. Then Peterson’s dad came out and said Peterson isn’t trying to leave Minnesota, although there is a chance the Vikings could part ways with him. Peterson does have three years left on his current contract (he turns 30 in a couple of weeks) and is due to make $12.75 million, $14.75 million and $16.75 million. Those numbers would seem to me to make a trade for Peterson for many teams cost-prohibitive without a significant restructuring and/or pay cut.

Someone suggested to me yesterday that Nelson Peterson (the father) said the Colts, Cowboys and Cardinals would be on Adrian’s short list if he left the Vikings. I haven’t seen that. The elder Peterson merely mentioned to the St. Paul Pioneer Press he had heard those teams as rumored destinations — and this time of year is king for NFL rumors.

But it was interesting to see Nelson Peterson go into some depth about the Cardinals and their near-miss on Peterson in 2007.

“Arizona had the opportunity to draft him and they didn’t,’’ said Nelson Peterson. “They had an opportunity to take him in 2007 with the No. (5) pick and they went and picked Levi Brown. If they would have taken Adrian Peterson, then (quarterback) Kurt Warner would probably still be playing and they probably would have numerous Super Bowls.

“Can you imagine (Peterson) with Kurt Warner and with Larry Fitzgerald in his prime? Oh, man, Arizona would probably have a couple of Super Bowls by now.’’

Keim is still around, although now he’s calling the shots. It’d make sense he probably still likes Peterson as a player. It’s not like he can comment on the possibility — that’s tampering — although I’ve heard him asked in a couple of interview situations. Until free agency starts though, such ideas are going to be bounced around. I’ve been bombarded with the question: Could I see Peterson as a Cardinal? Maybe, although there sure seem to be a lot of moving parts here. I will say this, with all the players around the league getting cut and with a free agent class with a lot of names in the first place — plus issues like Peterson’s future playing out — it’s going to be an interesting month of March.

Adrian Peterson

Tags: , ,

29 Responses to “The notion of Adrian Peterson”

1. By Andy Kw on Feb 27, 2015 | Reply

What is we did this, what if we did that? Does it really matter?
    -We drafted a bust in Levi Brown, the past is in the past.
    If Adrian Peterson wants to have a fresh start, I think Arizona is the place to be. Giving Adrian Peterson the work load while Andre Ellington gets 3rd down and some passing downs will help both RBs stay fresh on the field on every play.
    -We saw Ellington’s big production in his rookie season because Rashard Mendenhall had most of the 1st and 2nd down plays. Ellington was fast and was easily able to convert 3rd downs on many plays because of the split workload Arians gave him. That allowed Ellington to play at full speed.
    -At the same time, there will be cheaper RBs like Steven Jackson and Roy Helu.

2. By perry matherne on Feb 27, 2015 | Reply

Dear coach bruce,sign up adrian!

3. By Marlin on Feb 27, 2015 | Reply

What if’s …… everybody’s got ’em. As far as AP…..we don’t need the drama.

4. By clssylssy on Feb 27, 2015 | Reply

I would be thrilled to get either Steven Jackson or Adrian Peterson to be the pounder we have needed so badly on our offense. I know BA is high on Ellington but we have seen that he is NOT an every down back as much as BA wanted him to be because he is just too small. I think he’s going to be fragile coming back and shouldn’t be expected to play beastmode. Steven Jackson is one of my all time favorites, was beastmode when Marshawn was still playing Pop Warner and at 31, like Fitz, is still an elite player. While fans will no doubt say he is “declining” (being an old timer at 31)he sure didn’t look it when we played the Falcons and has managed to stay pretty healthy during his career. Adrian Peterson is one of the all time greats and has a connection with Fitz which could really work well for us. I think both of these guys would fit well with the chemistry of the team however, it almost feels like a trap to think that we could get so lucky. Kinda like the draft…sitting at #24, I don’t see us ending up with anything too special. In two years about the only notable player we’ve ended up with was Tyrann Mathieu and I’m still pinching myself in stunned disbelief!

5. By Adam J on Feb 27, 2015 | Reply

I would love to see Frank Gore in our backfield. We need a back that can run between the tackles and also keep Ellington fresh. I think this would be a great place for Gore to finish his career.

6. By Marlin on Feb 27, 2015 | Reply

Let’s go young with a big back……somewhere in the draft….3rd to 5th round. We need a veteran guard in free agency to open those holes !!!!!

7. By Roy on Feb 27, 2015 | Reply

AP would be awesome for sure. Jeez! But I think he will be expensive. We could get a SJacks for cheap though. That’s a good one Andy, I was thinking about that myself. What about Frank Gore.I know, that almost seems like blasphamy, but hey that would be some thunder. What about Mark Ingram. About the same size as Gore, but 6 years younger. If the saints let him go. The market is good.

8. By much.faster on Feb 27, 2015 | Reply

please not. how much rings has AP? he is to expensive, and the team should not be forced to chose between a superbowl or the most yards for a superstar running back.

chose allen in the 5 round of the draft, and add a senior from free agency.

9. By georgiebird on Feb 27, 2015 | Reply

For the record let’s be fair.
    1) AP was an oft injured running back at Oklahoma. Injuries included dislocated shoulder, leg sprains and a broken collarbone among other injuries and many games missed. AP became one of the greats with few injuries in the pros.
    The Cardinals passed on AP in the draft
    2) Beanies Wells was an oft injured running back for the Buckeyes. Injuries included turf toe, thumb fracture, concussions, hamstring and leg problems. Thru the injuries Beanie missed a lot less college games than Peterson. Beanie went on to be an oft injured Pro and he was close to being a bust..
    The Cards drafted Beanie #1.
    If Keim was so willing to take the injury prone AP because he was a difference maker- then Keim should be willing to take either the oft injured Todd Gurley or Melvin Gordon because they are both difference makers. Or is hindsight 20/20 vision.
    And what was SK’s insights on taking Beanie.

10. By Darren Urban on Feb 27, 2015 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Peterson

No doubt there were injuries. Looking back at the clips, no one complained much at the time of the pick. The point of the blog post wasn’t to say Keim was brilliant, but to say he liked him back then — so it might make him more willing to look into Peterson now if he became available.

11. By georgiebird on Feb 27, 2015 | Reply

Everybody is commenting on the failure to draft AP. Why don’t I hear anybody talking about the Cards failure to draft Tom Brady, Russell Wilson or DeMarco Murray? I’ll bet that not even the great JTDG had those guys on his radar.

12. By D on Feb 27, 2015 | Reply

I would be happy with AZ signing either D. McFadden or Frank Gore. Both can still move the chains, big RBs that this team needs to spell Ellington.

13. By NJAzCardsFan on Feb 27, 2015 | Reply

On another note…. I am sorry to see Dockett let go. It is obvious he didn’t want ot take a pay cut or work out a deal to help the Cards cap situation. I doubt he will be back even if it is at cheaper rate.

14. By Mr Robles on Feb 27, 2015 | Reply

Do you really think Darnell will Resign?

15. By Pete Dowdle on Feb 27, 2015 | Reply

In the run-up to the start of Free Agency, various players have been released by both the Card’s and other teams, creating both needs and wants. Some players who may be released by the Card’s or other teams won’t know until FA is nigh upon us, and that time will only fuel the discussion over who the Card’s should pursue, what their focus should be, etc. All along, I have thought that the Card’s should make a cannonball-like splash in FA, even if it only means signing one premier talent. My belief is, teams on the cusp of taking that next step, on going from a good (10-12 wins a season) team to an elite (13+ wins a season) team, typically require a big-time signing during FA. If you look at the three participants in the last couple of SuperBowls, each team had a major signing that impacted their team. Denver got Manning. Seattle got Harvin. New England got Revis. (Harvin is an anomaly, if only because he missed much of the regular season that year, but he was definitely a factor during the 1st SuperBowl Seattle appeared in.) Were there bigger FA’s than those three during those two seasons? With all that said, I am hopeful Keim and the Card’s think similarly here and go after a premier talent. In addition, and if possible, I would be further hopeful that someone of Peterson’s caliber would be their focus. Any player of a premier’s magnitude would cost a ton up front, but the dividends it would pay out for a team like the Card’s would be worth it. Say, for instance, Revis becomes available again, and the Card’s get him: the Card’s have unquestionably the best secondary in all of football, and their losses up front don’t sting as much. If the Card’s sign Suh, then even the loss of Cromartie isn’t so painful since Suh is so disruptive that he probably shaves off a whole second from the time the opposing QB might have to get the ball out. And even Houston’s presence would be huge, both because of the need and the want such a signing would clearly satisfy. Now, I have always believed that a great offense can make any defense look better than it may otherwise be (the same cannot so easily be said in reverse), and so my preference for the Card’s is that they make a push for either Bryant or Peterson, with an even stronger preference for the latter. Bryant’s presence would certainly help Palmer and the running game, and it would undoubtedly improve the production of the rest of the WR corps. Remember when the Card’s had two legitimate #1’s at their disposal? Ah, the good ol’ days… But the signing of Peterson would take this team a step even further, allowing every unit throughout the offense to look and even perform a step above where they’re at. Even the defense would benefit! If there’s a way to make this happen, and if it does, then I will go ahead and punch my own ticket to San Fran’ for the next SuperBowl.

16. By rod (Eddie Goldman RD1) on Feb 27, 2015 | Reply

·If onlys and justs were candies and nuts. Then every day would be Ernte Dank Fest. -Dwight Schrute

17. By rhinosreflections on Feb 27, 2015 | Reply

Even with the cap room generated by cutting Ginn and Dockett and Larry’s new deal, Peterson’s $12.5m cap number for next season is far too much. I would rather see someone like Mark Ingram who could be available in FA. Wouldn’t want to spend all that cap space on Peterson

2 reasons why this is better
    1. No Draft Pics have to be given up
    2. Mark Ingram won’t demand the same money that Peterson’s contract is worth. That leaves enough cap room to go after other positions of need in FA. Also leaves us in a position to resign our pending free agents. Cromartie and Dan Williams. Also leaves cap space to go after a top C, making our run game better, sendlein was pretty poor.
    Would expect more turnover of the roster before FA starts

Darren, whilst not completely related, with Dockett going, if Dan Williams resigns could he play more packages and be more than just a 40% of snaps guy.

18. By Coach K on Feb 27, 2015 | Reply

This draft is critical for the Cardinals. I feel a dynamic outside pass rusher will fall to the cards in round one. I’m looking for Alvin Dupree, Eli Harold or Owa Odighizuwa to be one of the picks in that order of preference. Pick #24 is too high for any of the inside backers in this class. So look for outside pass rusher to be the pick.

In round two, I’m sticking with a powerhouse offensive guard who will be a plug and play instant starter. That guy is Tre’ Jackson of FSU. This guy does not get beat and once his hands are on the defender, it’s all over. Jackson is clearly the most physical, nasty meat grinder in this draft and I see him wearing Cardinal red next year as an immediate starter at right guard.

In round three, I’m going back to Stephone Anthony, the inside backer from Clemson. He is a solid round three pick and he reminds me of D.W. in many ways. He is athletic and most important, he can defend the pass.

Round four, I’m going back to the big back from Minnesota, David Cobb. He may not run the best 40, but as an inside runner, nobody jump cuts better and has the short burst like Cobb. His size and power will give us the perfect power back to go with Ellington.

Round five, I’m hoping B.J. Finney the center from K. State is available. He has an amazing story and is a high character guy. A born leader who can be a force at center.

Round six is my STEAL OF THE DRAFT: What do you get if you mix the toughness and power of Anquan Boldin with the speed of John Brown? ANSWER: Antwan Goodley, WR-KR from Baylor. This guy is exactly the kind of guy BA likes. Blazing speed and tough s nails. 5-11, 220 pounds. Are you kidding me? Antwan Goodley will be a huge upgrade over Ted Ginn and a game breaker.

Round seven: I really like Justin Coleman, the cornerback from Tennessee. Played at a high level against the best competition in the SEC. Has good size and speed. With Cro probably moving on, this would be a good pick.

Bonus pick: He may be gone, but I really like Sean Mannion the QB from Oregon St. If he is on the board, I think he will be my second STEAL if he’s around in round 7. The sure exactly where our compensation pick will be, so for now, round 7.

This is how I see things shaping up in this draft.

19. By Nor Cal Cards Fan on Feb 27, 2015 | Reply

Urb- I noticed on Twitter that A Dub has been a little upset with you for stating that you don’t think there’s much of a chance of him returning to AZ. Do you know if he’ll be at the veterans combine? Do u think he could have some value with AZ as a backup playing at the league min? I think at the very least he could serve as a great mentor to our young secondary. I think he could still be effective playing in the box, blitzing, stuffing the run, etc..a la Deone last season. I know he’s not very good in coverage anymore, so u wouldn’t have him out there in obvious passing situations. But he could still bring some things to the table, for cheap.

20. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2015 | Reply

Nor Cal —

RE: Vets combine

I don’t know for sure but I would doubt Adrian would be there.

Yes, he doesn’t like it when I mention I don’t think he’ll return to the Cards, but that’s just going by what I know about how the Cardinals are operating these days. Unfortunately, even if Adrian played for the minimum, that’s still double what they could get a young player for who could do the same role.

As for Adrian being upset, he told me himself in January he knows his time as a Cardinal is probably over. http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Adrian-Wilson-Wont-Let-NFL-Dream-Die-Yet/47da0a90-b8c6-4e0c-9e7f-c0b0d531318b So I’m a little surprised when he gets upset when I say it.

21. By krehbieo14 on Feb 27, 2015 | Reply

Peterson’s connection with Fitz and Keim and his disenchantment with the Vikings could make him a viable option for the Cards. The drawback is obviously money. It might be worth it to Adrian to redeem his carrer by taking a restructured contract that works for both sides. Being apart of a Super Bowl driven team might mean more to his legacy than money. Let’s hope he sees it that way.

22. By Robbird on Feb 27, 2015 | Reply

If the Cards would have drafted AP you wouldn’t know who he is today. Our o-line was horrible. I swear they seemed like matadors not linemen.

23. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 27, 2015 | Reply

Georgiebird;

Draft picks;

Tom Brady – Nope, I missed that one.

Russell Wilson – Mike Mayock thought highly of him. I just didn’t believe in his height.

Demarco Murray – Liked Demarco, but I wanted pass rushers. Akeem Ayers and Justin Houston would have been my picks in rounds 2 and 3 in 2011.

I think AP was wanted by as many fans as the 2003 miss of Terrel Suggs. Both of those picks were easy.

Darren, don’t forget that Revis went 14th

24. By Eazy E on Feb 28, 2015 | Reply

This is a No-Brainer, right your wrong! AD and AE would be a sick tandem and that doesn’t mean AE can’t be a workhorse back, but you have a number of RBs that are and some aren’t!

25. By much.faster on Feb 28, 2015 | Reply

lets them praise petersen, and praise him more, as long as he goes to dallas, and we can add murray as RB.

and for wilson, is fitzgerald worth his millions? as a person on and off the field for the etam, yes, but as a player i doubt it, so maybe the team couls spend the veterans minimum for wilson for a season, his expiereience should be worth the additional payment over a young player.

26. By Black1137 on Feb 28, 2015 | Reply

I want Suh and PP. that’s all.

27. By Scott H on Mar 1, 2015 | Reply

What I find interesting about this is…..wondering if any of the people who want to see AP here with the Cardinals are the same people who were so adamantly opposed to LeGarret Blount. Because if they are, then I don’t get it. Blount was supposedly a problem for the Steelers because of immaturity and un-professional behavior. Neither of which seemed to be a problem for the Patriots, BTW. AP, however, engaged in legitimate abuse of a child.

To quote a line from The Lion King – And, everybody is OK with this?

How do you welcome AP after all of the negative attention he just brought upon himself AND to the team he plays for but be so opposed to another player whose transgressions were – obviously – much less severe?

Strictly in terms of the PLAYER that AP has been and probably still can be, I would love to see him here. But I wonder what type of negative attention is going to be drawn to any team he plays for in 2015, and if it would really be worth it.

2. Mar 9, 2015: Cardinals Blogs | Saving the running backs – or at least, their market
  3. Mar 16, 2015: Cardinals Blogs | The speculation on Adrian Peterson