Cards have some room as 2015 salary cap set

Posted by Darren Urban on March 2, 2015 – 11:59 am

Free agency officially begins March 10, when the NFL’s new league year starts. Now, the parameters of how that period will play out have been set, now that the salary cap has been set by the NFL for 2015. This year’s cap is officially $143.28 million per team, a jump of about $10 million from last season. That alone is helpful. But the Cardinals also carried over about $4.2 million in cap space from 2014, and have other adjustments (according to an NFL players association release) that give them almost another $1 million in room. So, according to the NFLPA, the Cardinals’ official salary cap for 2015 is $148,515,866.

That number places the Cardinals somewhere in the middle of the pack in terms of the cap this season (The Jaguars, through carryover and a lack of committed contracts, have a cap of a whopping $168.5M to top the NFL.) As for the Cardinals’ cap space, overthecap.com has the Cards with about $133.6M for their top 51 contracts as of Monday morning. That means the Cardinals have about $15 million in cap space coming. (In the offseason, only the top 51 cap numbers on the roster count toward the cap; that changes to everyone on the roster, including IR and practice squad, once the regular season arrives.)

That’s not a small amount of space and it should allow GM Steve Keim to be aggressive in free agency as promised, although most teams have a lot of cap space if they want to do FA damage. Ken Whisenhunt’s Titans, for instance, will reportedly have around $43M of cap space. That also would change if players are signed between now and the start of free agency — for instance, if the Cards brought back Darnell Dockett, whose agent said Monday he expects Dockett to have a new contract by the end of the week.

KeimCap

Tags: , ,

41 Responses to “Cards have some room as 2015 salary cap set”

1. By Bruce on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Darrren-

That last part about his agent expects him to have a new contract by the end of this week. Does he mean a new contract with us? Or with a different team you think?

2. By Darren Urban on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Bruce —

RE: New contract

Your guess is as good as mine. My belief is that the Cards made their offer, and DD will know quickly if another team is willing to beat it.

3. By D on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Drew R trying to drum up interest in DD. I hope he does land a job somewhere, but he has to past a physical first on his repaired knee.

Free agents to watch:

J. Blalock G Atl (can sign now)
    L Woodley Oak OLB (can sign now)

Mike Leach
    Tommy Kelly

T. Herremans G Eagles (can sign now)
    S. Wisniewski C Oak
    J. Worilds OLB Steelers
    D. McFadden Rb Oak
    R. Matthews RB SD
    F. Gore RB SF
    J. Lattimore GB ILB
    S. Johnson SF KR (when he is released)

4. By Bruce on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Out of all of the Running backs who are going to be Free Agents. Mark Ingram is at the top of my list. He’s built like Frank Gore, but he is only 25. He was on a time share in New Orleans so he should have a lot of gas left in the tank. Man him and Elington would be the best one, two punch in the League!!! Forget AP! He’s old, expensive, and with the Arians foundation for abused children I don’t think we really want him any how.

5. By Bruce on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

I’d like to get that Hardy dude from Carolina too. They were awesome with him, and once he was out the Panthers were pussy cats.

6. By brinnc on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Sadly there are teams with so much cap space available that they can overpay to get the free agents in their camp, and for most it is about the money, not winning!! DD was a favorite of mine since his days at FSU, I was so pissed when the Cardinals didnt grab him in the 2nd round of the draft, I just knew he was gone, when he was still on the board when we went on the clock in round #3, after cleaning the mess in my trousers, I was screaming at the TV for Arizona to hurry up and get his name up to the podium, (like his name was mysteriously just going to disappear! ) I went absolutely postal when we drafted him!!! And he gave us every bit of energy and effort I expected, move forward to last year, I was happy and proud that DD called out Dansby for taking the money and running, I thought, well at least one Cardinal has that fire, at least one Cardinal isnt fixated on money (even Fitz to that point had done nothing other than rearrange the huge sum of money to “help” the team, When actually in my eyes he was not helping the team at all, just delaying and prolonging the pain!! Everyone praising Fitz for being such a great team guy, which he is, except when it comes to money! He never took an actual paycut!! Anyway, It seems to me folks, that DD is doing the very thing that he called out LOS for, if he does end up signing somewhere else because of a few million more, then all respect and man love I have for Dockett is out the window, I just cant see him taking his displeasure public and dressing down Dansby, then turn around a year later and doing the same!! The ultimate betrayal would be if DD signs with the Browns!! I just cant see how these teams have $40-$60million in cap space!!

JTDG –
    My mathematical genius, I wish I could remember where I saw it, but I have saw it more than once…stating the Cardinals will have right about $30million in cap space, now I see Darren is saying $15million (which obviously I lean toward believing Darren’s figure’s) but do you know of anyway we would have $30mil?? Palmer may restructure, but I dont think it will be a $15mil restructure, that seems kind of drastic!! Have you heard, or has Darren heard maybe PP restructuring? Although I seriously doubt that, most on here know my feelings on that ridiculious overpay the Cardinals agreed to with PP, or maybe Campbell is restructuring?? It would have to be a player, actually player’s plural with large contracts that in addition to CP are also restructuring in order to double the cap space wouldnt it? Im thinking some people or so called experts out there did some severe miscalculations, you think??
    Even if we only have $15mil actually less than that, have to subtract the rookie money for the upcoming draft! Either way, In my humble opinion, I think we should break a Cardinal rule (no pun intended) and at least look at matching any offer Cromartie gets (within reason of course!) I know the Cardinals have a set amount and usually dont budge, but I think CRO should be the exception, thoughts anyone??
    Also Leach the long snapper is a must, if not the best he is top 3 inthe NFL, imperative that he remains a Cardinal!!

This is totally off the wall, question for all:

Given the money paid to QB’s who have a 1-10 record last season, and multiple teams were trying to sign him, looks like there is a huge need for QB’s, I think the Cardinals could get a 2nd round pick (possibly multiple picks if a bidding war is sparked!! Supply & Demand folks!!) for Drew Stanton, even if the final offer is a single 2nd round pick in this years draft, do the Cardinals jump on that?? Even if BA thinks Thomas isnt ready to be the #2, we could sign a backup for less than Drew is owed, much less in most cases, probably could get Hoyer back in Arizona cheap, and have another 2nd round pick, so if we trade out of first round and they did pull the trigger on a Stanton trade Cards would have 3 2nd round picks, two of which could be very high picks, plus another pick in either 3rd or 4th round for trading out of 1st. I dont see a superstar game changer at our position in the first round still being on the board, and there is virtually no drop in talent if we ended d up with 2additional high 2nd round picks plus our own, Cardinals could fill all major needs by the time the 2nd round ended!!!!!!!! I know that is a fantasy, butbottom line Birdgang… if you are SK and a high 2nd round pick is dangled for Stanton, do you jump in head first and take it?? I think I do, I fall into the yes box! Thoughts?

7. By Creg on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Cards go to supper bowl 2016 only if they get a new Qb like Brett Hundley.
    Cardinals go 13-4
    1 Cardinals vs Bengals or
    2 Cardinals vs Patriots or
    3 Cardinals vs Chargers or
    4 Cardinals vs Ravens.

8. By Leeskicitizen on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

The best free agent center in the NFL is Rodney Hudson. Compared to drafting a center as an unknown NFL quantity at such a critical position, Hudson is a proven commodity in both the passing and running game. He’s 25 yr. old, light on his feet like Cooper and Veldheer, and thrives in the second levels. Even if we paid 5 or 6 million per year, after cutting Sendelein we would still net 3 million while significantly improving our center position.

Wisniewski from Oakland is a significant drop off in age and quality compared with Hudson.

9. By Jacob Hewitt on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Cut Powers saving 4.35 million
    Cut Sendlin saving 3.1 million
    Cut Stanton saving 3.2 million
    Cut Shaughnessy saving 2 million
    Cut Alexander saving 1.5 million
    Cut John Carlson saving 1.5 million

and now you have 30 million to spend.

11. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

brinnc,

no one is giving up a second for Stanton.
    He is a back up QB on the wrong side of 30.

Maybe a 4th rounder

12. By Chris Keal on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

briinc: Start a blog. No one wants to read all that in a comment section. Cliff notes next time player… brevity is your friend.

13. By Chris Keal on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

You’re comment is literally longer then that article itself LOL. No one cares to read that much about what brinnc thinks.

14. By clssylssy on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

I find it amusing that so many think there is a franchise QB to be had worth gambling a draft pick on when even Darren has cited the slim pickings in this years draft and we are sitting at #24. Carson, when healthy is good, but, I too am skeptical that he will last all season, especially if we don’t beef up our offensive front significantly. Everyone devalues Stanton, who did an amazing job for a backup and was extremely tough, much like Hoyer for the Browns; in short, I believe Stanton is the proverbial “bird in the hand” worth more than anyone else qualified to step in should the need arise early on. Nobody really has a clue as to how Thomas will do with more reps except perhaps BA, and maybe we should trust in our QB whisperer Coach of the Year, rather than second guessing him. There is a reason BA chose to cut Hoyer (probably more to do with wanting “his guy”) and I can’t imagine him wanting to come back. After what happened last season, the QB position remains our most critical need but what to do when there are no real options?
    Last season the strength of our defense was largely due to having at least one veteran at nearly every position, providing continuity and stability and when you start cutting veterans to save cap space, we will pay in time lost with rookies struggling with a learning curve OR a FA who still has to play catch up and learn this defense and also brings their own baggage.
    Sometimes the wisest thing is to stick with what is a known commodity rather than taking a flyer on the unknown that may prove to be costlier in the long run and put us farther behind. With regard to CRO, i agree with br in nc, that he is worth a competitive offer and has proven his worth, however, have no illusion that we can compete with the Jets on any basis, if they make him the offer.

15. By Scott H on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Man, I don’t even understand any thought at all toward trading or RELEASING ( What??? ) Drew Stanton. Seriously? After we just endured a season where Carson Palmer was knocked out of the line-up twice and played in 6 games the whole year? After Stanton kept us winning in most of the games he played in? After we fell off the friggin map after Stanton went down?

Never mind what value he does or does not have to other teams. I’m thinking about the value he has to THIS team! If there is any truth to the old adage that you are only as good as your back-up QB, then people should consider how important a back-up as solid as Stanton is.

Seriously – a 4th round pick would be better than a back-up QB who you know can win more games than he’ll lose if you need him??? That is crazy.

Since we probably need to have serious doubts about Palmer making it through 16 games at this point in his career, I don’t even think I’m taking a 2nd rounder for Stanton right now.

16. By Coach K on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Restructure Palmer and Campbell and get us to $20M cap room and we should be fine. We don’t need 30M. We only need two solid pieces and perhaps a few others to churn at the bottom of the roster. We are going to need this draft to deliver at least 3 starters. If we can do that plus add a couple top notch FA’s perhaps at O-line and Linebacker, we are good to go!

17. By Marcelo on Mar 3, 2015 | Reply

Scott H

As JTDG said above, Stanton is on the wrong side of 30, he won the games as Kevin Kolb won 4 in a row a few years back and that doesn’t mean both are equally good QBs. I’m not saying he (stanton) is a bad one but is he worth 3.2 million int he cap room? I don’t know.

The only thing I don’t want to see for sure is Lindley under center.

If Cards need to cut Stanton in order to have a better cap space to add what it’s needed the most, I’m in.

18. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 3, 2015 | Reply

People, come on.

The question by brinnc was how can we get to 30 million in cap space.

I showed him how. I didn’t say do it. I just showed how.

19. By Barry Bond on Mar 3, 2015 | Reply

One thing for sure Stanton is NOT the back up QB coach Arians thought he was. Cut him now because we can’t win games scoring ONLY field goals! Have to have touchdowns, period. Arians could of brought in back ups such as Kyle Orton, Vince Young,and Packers Flynn to name a few backups!

20. By Scott H on Mar 3, 2015 | Reply

JTDG –

I’m laughing as I read your post! Yeah, I went way off the deep end there! But it’s a low point in the off-season, we gotta talk about something! Don’t worry, I’m not losing my damn mind over here.

21. By Scott H on Mar 3, 2015 | Reply

Barry Bond –

Vince Young? Is that what you’re saying? Vince Young? The same Vince Young that hasn’t been on an NFL roster or even a practice squad for a few years now? My friend, please listen to what I’m about to tell you – the mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Funny how BA just won coach of the year – for the 2nd time in 3 seasons – and yet he never considered bringing in Vince Young. I’m thinking there must be some correlation here…..don’t ya think?

22. By Scott H on Mar 3, 2015 | Reply

Marcelo –

RE: Stanton being on the wrong side of 30.

Geez….Tom Brady is on that same side of 30. My God, what are the Patriots thinking??? They should have cut him YEARS ago!!!!

No, my intent is not to put Drew Stanton in the same conversation of QB greatness as Tom Brady. But for the love of God, could you pleas tell me why being on the other side of 30 is even an issue for a QB???

Peyton Manning has set all time records on the “wrong” side of 30. He was also given a $90 million contract on the “wrong” side of 30.

Tom Brady just won a SB on the “wrong” side of 30.

Drew Brees won a SB on the “wrong” side of 30.

Kurt Warner gave us the greatest season we have ever known on the “wrong” side of 30.

Carson Palmer is on the “wrong” side of 30.

Most of the guys who are truly considered elite QB’s in the league right now are on the “wrong” side of 30.

QB’s throughout NFL history have had their greatest years on the “wrong” side of 30.

But suddenly, Drew Stanton being on the “wrong” side of 30 is a problem???

Really, what IS the basis for this being a problem when you’re talking about the QB position???

23. By what? on Mar 3, 2015 | Reply

Cards not even close to going to the super bowl!!! Get real

24. By Marcelo on Mar 4, 2015 | Reply

Scott H

I hadn’t thought this way before… you’re damn right!

I just got into the “to cut or not to cut” conversation (that really never existed, shame on me) and misunderstood a quote…. but in the end I realized there’s no need to talk ’bout it regarding Stanton.

thanks for the comments.

Free agency is just around the corner, hoping cards bring the best ones to dust it up in the desert!

25. By Scott H on Mar 4, 2015 | Reply

Marcelo –

Wait, what just happened there??? You’ll have to excuse me, I’m just not used to anyone being enlightened by one of my posts. Damn….threw off my whole routine…..

Anyway, thanks for listening! Glad I could help! I sure hope QB’s on the “wrong” side of 30 can still get it done since we just gave one an extension last season!

Old guys rule ! ( when it comes to the QB, that is )

26. By Scott H on Mar 4, 2015 | Reply

By what? –

Wow. How enlightening. Thanks for that, man. Got that out of your system, did ya? Good, now go back to your Seahawks blog and stay there. Idiot….

27. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 4, 2015 | Reply

Scott H

Wrong side of 30;

Stanton is on the wrong side of 30 because he hasn’t performed well enough to become a starter when he was in his prime. Therefore, you can’t expect it now as he is getting older.

Brady, Palmer, Manning all were stars before they turned 30 and then kept it going.

Point is, if you haven’t become a starter before 30, chances are, you aren’t going to become one.

28. By Scott H on Mar 5, 2015 | Reply

JTDG –

I see the point you are making but I will respectfully disagree with your assertion that Stanton cannot be an effective QB after the age of 30 simply because he didn’t become one before the age of 30.

Besides, we aren’t talking about Stanton as a starting QB here. We are talking about Stanton as a back-up as far as the Cardinals are concerned. And as long as he has track record of winning more games than he lost as a backup for the Cardinals, then I am not going to concern myself with his age. As a back-up QB, I think Drew Stanton is about as good as it gets in the NFL right now. How many back-up QB’s do you see as being BETTER QB’s than Stanton right now??? I am expecting a very short list.

I would add to the discussion that BA, as far as we know, brought Stanton here believing that he COULD be a starting QB. But Carson Palmer was clearly a BETTER option as a starting QB and since he was obtainable, they went with the better option. I certainly have no problem with that.

29. By what? on Mar 6, 2015 | Reply

Not one cardinal QB had the talent to go to a Super Bowl, get real! Read Vegas reports!

30. By Scott H on Mar 6, 2015 | Reply

what –

Dude, unlike yourself, I don’t need to consult Vegas reports or any other sources for my opinions. I can form my own. Damn, man…does Vegas reports tell you what to wear to work, too???

31. By what? on Mar 6, 2015 | Reply

If you dont have a issues with a QB here in AZ why are u still talking about it???? Thanks for Dock!

32. By what? on Mar 6, 2015 | Reply

Thanks for Dock!

33. By brinnc on Mar 6, 2015 | Reply

Chris Keal

Obviously you dont know me very well, must be new to posting here, I post my opinions and thoughts and since I’am a “self proclaimed” genius (LOL!) my posts tend to be in novel form, plus I was on an all expense paid trip or quite awhile and had no posts, to bad you weren’t around then, but now that I’m back stateside I will be back to posting my thoughts and opinions, I dont believe there is a character limit on here, at least there never has been, you can always skip over my posts, doesn’t take but a second to scroll down past my post. All I can do is offer my apologies, but I wont be changing the way I lay out my thoughts or opinions.
    PS…Dont forget to tag an automatic “thumbs down” as you scroll past my posts.

JTDG –
    For what it’s worth, I understood the jist of your post, and I thank you for answering my question, some people on here just get a kick out of putting the “thumbs down” on a post, unfortunately, most wont give you the common courtesy to post an explanation or rebuttal as to why the tagged the post “thumbs down”! Don’t sweat it, most of us Cardinal fans on here know and respect your knowledge of the Cardinals, the draft, salary cap info (you are the go to guy, for me anyway!!) and your in depth football knowledge in general, I for one seek out your posts, always great reading!! Keep em coming! And thanks again for the info, I knew that you were only pointing out one route to get us up to $30mil in cap, and that it wasn’t a personal preferred route!
    Look forward to your mock drafts that should start flowing soon, I hope! (I’m getting my sleepers and small school gems together for each position, and will be posting my lengthy “Harry Potter” novel sized posts real soon!!) LOL!!

34. By brinnc on Mar 6, 2015 | Reply

Sorry guys, didn’t mean to ruffle feathers on the Stanton debate/question. When I saw that McCown was signed to a lucrative contract , to be the starter (or at least compete for the job) and his record of 1-10, it just got me thinking on just how desparate teams are for QB’s this year. Apparently, there were multiple teams bidding for his services too. Thinking if teams are willing to go that far for McCown, what would Stanton fetch? I think I would only pull the trigger if it was a 2nd round pick (mid round at the latest) but that is the only way. With me being a Logan Thomas believer, I would grab the deal and run, and if Thomas wasnt quite ready, Hoyer is an option, among a couple others, but in the end it was only a hypothetical scenario/question. If it did happen, and the Cardinals also traded out of 1st round, we would have Three 2nd round picks, and I would be on cloud #9. We could fill some rather large holes with those Three picks:
    OLB/Pass Rusher
    RB
    ILB
    RB & ILB could be flipped depending who was on the board when we went on the clock, as well as who SK and company thinks would still be available later in the round, and position depth, in which case ILB would probably be the higher priority since it doesnt have the depth in the draft again this year.

JTDG – I dont see a post that I sent earlier (sometimes they appear later for some damn reason!) but wanted to send my thanks for answering my salary cap question! And I know your not losing sleep over it, and dont sweat those worthless “thumbs down” on your response, anyone with a tenth of a football brain knew exactly what you were saying, pointing out a route to add $15mil in cap space, not giving a personal route on who should be cut. Not to mention there are some Trolls amongst us, it’s a good bet they are tagging a large amount of “thumbs down” after posting their baseless and stupid comments!!
    As always look forward to your world famous mock draft posts (as in plural…lol!)
    Signing off for now so I dont upset anyone with another lengthy post!! (Some posters just don’t know me very well, huh? ) :O

35. By brinnc on Mar 7, 2015 | Reply

What?
    You know if you were moved out of mommy’s basement, stopped depending on her social security check and got a job for the first time in your miserable life, you wouldn’t have the time to troll and post stupid comments!! Mommy can still call and remind you to take your medication! Be forewarned, if you do get a job you may lose your food stamps!

36. By what? on Mar 7, 2015 | Reply

I can see you know a lot about the program! And nothing about football or cardinals, with small “c”! Thanks for dock!

37. By brinnc on Mar 8, 2015 | Reply

You are welcome for Dock, he chose to chase the money and be a hypocrite, slamming Dansby in public for signing with the Browns, then he turns around and does the same!! I dont want a player like that, he will just have to retire with no ring, he chose to leave the best chance he had for a Championship, for money. Good riddance DD!

Also, good riddance to you as well, I have found over the years the best way to deal with TROLLS like you is to just ignore your posts, you thrive on attention (explains why you still live with mommy, you need the attention!) I can assure you sir, from this point forward you will be ignored, at least by most posters on this board, we have much better things to talk about!
    Good day.

38. By Scott H on Mar 8, 2015 | Reply

what? –

Ah, so you’re a Niners fan….OK, then your posts make more sense. Obviously, you’re a bitter man ( and I use the word “man” hesitantly, I assure you ) after 2 NFC title game LOSES and one SB LOSS over a 3 year period. And now your team is in decline again. Wow…sorry about all that.

Oh, and you’re about to lose Frank Gore. Hey, maybe Dockett can take some of his carries for you guys.

BTW, I have NO issues with the QB here in Arizona. We love Carson Palmer just fine, thank you! Sure beats having Colin Kaepernick….good luck with him, too, now that he doesn’t have Gore to bail him out.

Can you say 4th place in the NFC West? Good! Get used to it ’cause that’s where you’ll be in 2015.

39. By what? on Mar 9, 2015 | Reply

Im sorry guys, Go Hawks!!!! See I made think I was a 9er fan. You go with Palmer that’s had three blown knees back to his college days! I like Palmer but can’t play a full season. Good luck and LOB!

40. By Scott H on Mar 9, 2015 | Reply

what? –

Dude, we don’t distinguish between Niner fans and Seahawk fans. They’re all idiots. And if your posts are any indication, they also can’t spell or use proper english worth a damn.

Hey, nice play-calling at the end of that SB, huh? Couldn’t have happened to a better fan base than Seattle’s!

41. By what? on Mar 9, 2015 | Reply

Hawks where in the super bowl ! Somewhere where the cards won’t be! Did the cards win a playoff game?????? NOT! O my mom said GO HAWKS! LOB!