Dockett to visit 49ers

Posted by Darren Urban on March 2, 2015 – 1:27 pm

Earlier today Darnell Dockett agent Drew Rosenhaus told Kent Somers he expected Dockett to be signed somewhere by the end of the week. Now comes news that Dockett will visit the 49ers and arrives in San Franci … err, Santa Clara, tonight. Kent is reporting the Cardinals have offered a one-year, $2.5 million deal to Dockett. We’ll see if the 49ers — or someone else — want to top that. The hard part for Dockett will be the fact he is still rehabbing from his knee injury. His timetable to get back on the field is up in the air. That’s a tough way to try and find a new deal.

It’s also interesting that it is the 49ers Dockett visits first. He is close with tight end Vernon Davis — they are both from around the Washington, D.C. area — but he’s spent a decade working up, not a hate for the Niners, but intense emotion against that team. The same would go for the Seahawks. That said, for someone like Dockett, especially after being released and surely not being pleased about it, going to an NFC West rival and getting to play the Cardinals twice in a season would be attractive.

Just because Dockett is going on a visit doesn’t mean he’ll sign there. There are a lot of moving parts here and the door is still open in Arizona. You figure the Niners and Rosenhaus have at least have some broad outline of money for Dockett to make the trip though, right? It will be interesting to see how this week unfolds.

Tags: , ,

50 Responses to “Dockett to visit 49ers”

1. By rod (Eddie Goldman RD1) on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

2.5 mil for one year. Perfect number. If he doesn’t come back for that oh well.

2. By D on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Justin Smith must be retiring.
    I remember when Docket gave Dansby crap for not staying for less money…bottom line is the life span is short in the NFL, have to make as much as possible.

Would be added drama for a Monday or Sunday night game if Docket signs with SF and the Cards could sign Gore at RB. Any players scheduled to visit this week Darren?

3. By Leeskicitizen on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Everything revolves around the quality of the recovery of Darnell’s knee.

The Cardinal’s offer for $2.5 million is also laced with incentives that could garner up to $4 million total. That’s a better deal than what we offered Tommy Kelly.

4. By Fitzfan on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Dockett gave Dansby a lot of grief for signing with the Browns for more money and not thinking about the team. Guess he’s all talk.

5. By bigcardfan on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

I like Dockett but he is an even bigger idiot than I thought if he signs with the ship wrek known as SF. Rucker and Kelly both played as well as you would expect from Darnell last year without all his drama.

6. By mal on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Darren-

What did Tommy Kelly get paid last year?

7. By Darren Urban on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Mal —

RE: Kelly

I believe he got the minimum. $955,000.

8. By tyman on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

the 49ers always after our guys.

Hopefully Dockett will come back and help us win a superbowl. If not he will still go down as one of the greatest cards of all time.

9. By joe.holst on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Let him go, He’s one and done, hid Agent Rosenhaus is fake, the niners have no cap room. Good Riddance.

10. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Well, exchange Dumpster Dan and DD for N. Suh and Josh Mauro/Ed Stinson/Kareem Martin rotation? Sure…also, noticed KC franchised my OLB would be FA fav Huston

11. By krehbieo14 on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Darnell Dockett is lucky to be offered a contract from the Cards. He is 34 years old, underwent major knee surgery, has yet to pass a physical and will provide questionable service to our defense at this point in his career. I can’t imagine another team providing him with more money without him being able to show a clean bill of health.

12. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

My top 5 reasons it is time to say goodbye to Dockett;

5-He always complained to be called a DT so his stats would be compared to DTs even though he was a 3-4 DE. Which worked in 2010. -Even though he was a 3-4 end, the cards listed him as DT and he made his one and only probowl.

4-One moment he is complaining about Dansby leaving and where is his loyalty and now he is looking to leave for a few extra bucks. (pot, let me introduce you to the kettle)

3-Cards were one of the top teams against the run without him

2-He is over rated- Inside guys like Sheldon Richardson, Aaron Donald, Campbell, Suh, McCoy, Marcell Darius, Sen Derrick Marks, Cameron Heywood, Dontari Poe, and Muhammad Wilkerson all had years this year as good as Dockett’s best year. And he was never even close to the same class as JJ Watt.

1- Frostee Rucker – Rucker’s 5 sacks as a part time player was more than Dockett’s had in the last 4 years as a starter

13. By Andy Kw on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

No Brad Jones is out of the market!!!!!😦

14. By Andy Kw on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

I’ve been so high on Benardrick McKinney but now i’m not. I like Stephone Anthony better and if this team takes him round 1, I won’t mind at all. I think he will fall to round 2 in our position but he possesses all of the traits we want from a MLB/ILB.

15. By Pete Dowdle on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

No knock against Dockett here, but I think it’s going to be a tough sell for him to find better money and opportunity to win a title elsewhere, when he’s coming off of a knee injury and is the age he is. I think the Card’s offering 2.5 mil. is probably better than most will or can, and I suspect he will be back before long if he makes his choice based on not finding the right amount of money elsewhere. I do wonder, though, if this isn’t some sort of ploy to bring the Card’s around some. I mean, didn’t Warner visit the 49’ers at one point, when he was looking at a new contract offer from the Card’s?

16. By b on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Lets pay Frostee Rucker and Tommy Kelly..these guys were solid for us last year..and add some younger rotation. DD is 34 getting older and dealing with an injury that could cause more problems this coming yr. Let’em soak it up in SF..
    I liked what we had last year!

another guy on my list of drops -** Dan Williams ** – to many years to mature and we haven’t seen things fully develop. Time to cut him loose.

17. By vegas4u2012. on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Action speaks words!DD,dogged Dansby for chasing after the $$..we all see what karma brought both of them on the field..DD..said,”No matter what jersey i wear,i will win. I say no matter what jersey u wear..We will win!DD..Has one more good year of productivity left..& as he said ”I understand,this is a buisness”..So if he leaves..So be it!…GO CARDS!!!

18. By Andy Kw on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Stephone Anthony is our guy. PLEASE DRAFT HIM STEVE KEIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. By Scott H on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Damn, Double D…..the Niners? Really? The first team you’re gonna look at is the Niners??? Who’s next, the Seahawks?

IF DD does not return, I’s like to see him do well wherever he goes – EXCEPT ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE NFC WEST.

In other news, I see where Suh was not tagged by the Lions…..interesting. Man, how awesome would it be to have HIM here??? Seeing him in Cardinal Red sure would ease the pain and sorrow from seeing Darnell go somewhere else!

20. By CORMAC on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

I love DOC, and I hope he returns. Even hurt, he was the number one cheerleader. He is a force in the middle that should not be forgotten. It will be like losing Anquan Boldin, so lame!!!!

21. By fightingbird on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

hey 90 who did you say your loyalty was with.

22. By Mr Robles on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Never like seeing former Cardinal greats play with any teams especially Niners YUCK I wish we could get 90 back but at a fair price to both sides

23. By Anthony on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Loyalty is huge at times but times are huge when it comes to loyalty been a loyal CARDS fan since day one I seen it all but it comes down to this the more money the players make the more money I soen to go watch my birdgang talk about loyalty…

24. By William Barry on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Let Dockett go, I can’t believe he is looking at SF, our hated rival. Sf is in a mess, We are headed for a SBowl soon!!!! Love our team, and our makeup….we were very strong against the run…..WITHOUT DOCKETT!!

25. By georgiebird on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

DD going to a 3-4 team like the 49ers does not concern me . Like DD’s intensity but his only hope is a 4-3 team that can use some additional spirit.

26. By Bernardo on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Hello-
    To start off I feel this is a different situation than Dansby. Yes on the outside it does seem the same, however, Dockett didnt sign a 1 year deal then leave when he was a FA. Dockett was under contract for this year. This is money that dockett was told he could earn and our team let him go. I am not saying Dockett is in the prime of his life or anything along those lines at all. I am just thinking he feels let down by the team. I will say I do think it was time for us to split ways with him and Fitz (fitz was lucky enough to restructure his).

I have faith in the quality of guys that will be here. I have faith in Keim and BA. I dont hate someone for having to leave our team or go elsewhere.

27. By Kurt on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

It might just be time for Darnell “Took a Shower” Dockett to head on down the road alligator in tow.

28. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Please say it ain’t so. Dockett possibly coming to the Niners. Hope the best for Dockett. Dont want to see him a Niner for sure. But I don’t like how the organization treated Adrian Wilson either. Good Luck to DD where ever he ends up. Hope he retires a Cardinal.

29. By Chuck 1 on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

What is the average salary of DTs?

30. By Darren Urban on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Chuck 1 —

RE: Average salary

Of all of them? I’d have to do research on that.

31. By BigAL on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

JTDG :not to pick on you but Facts are Facts!
    Wow Ya’ll, I realize it’s a business, but got to say I’m a bit surprised here! What’s that old saying JTDG? “How fast the worm turns?” Something like that anyway???
    And yes, ya’ll are right as far as DD giving Dansby a bunch of crap last year!
    Dansby got an extremely huge amount of money to go to, of all places Cleveland!
    And let’s not forget, this was the 2nd time Karlos left us for big money!

Lets not forget, in 2004 Larry @ 3rd pick, Karlos @ 33, DD @ 64, & Antonio Smith
    @ 135 all came in together! That was some draft! That along w/the 2003 group
    which was quite deep as well, were the core staples that would take us into the new stadium & a new era in Cardinal football! Point being DD/Larry/Karlos had a
    brother hood commitment to move this team forward going into the new stadium
    & erase the old stigmatism. That is why DD could give it to Karlos for leaving a 2nd time, when here we are w/a competitive team in the toughest division!

Now, here’s some of the forgotten facts…& JTDG… I usually believe/count on you for stating facts! I have to add I have learned a lot from your posts over the last few years on here…however…Facts!

DDockett, Pro Bowl honors in 2007, 09, & 10.

DD became the 1st D-lineman in franchise history to earn 3 Pro Bowl appearances! He was also named Pro Bowl alternate in 2008, 2011, & 2013!

In SBXLIII 2008, DD tied HOFer Reggie White’s Super Bowl record of (3)sacks in a SB!

Dating back to 2007, his 34.5 sacks are more than any other DT in the NFL. Dockett led the NFL in sacks among DTs in both 2007 (nine) and 2009 (seven).

Since entering the league in 2004, has appeared in more games (158) than any other player in the NFL at his position. For his career, Dockett has started 156 of 158 games. (Until his 2014 injury)

Ranks sixth in franchise history with 40.5 career sacks.

Four time team Captain!

Named to the Sporting News All-Pro team and the Associated Press All-Pro second team in 2009 after recording a career-high 15 tackles for loss!

DD would have entered this/next season along with Larry as the Cardinals longest tenured players!

These Facts, as I’m sure Darren can attest to, as I cut & pasted them off of DD’s
    Cardinal’s Roster bio which is no longer on the team’s roster page at this point… you would have to google…This is about half of the main stats on the ‘short’ bio,
    For those interested, ie:brinnc there’s about 3-4 pages in the full bio! Had to mention ya here br! Glad to see ya back on here…hope yer back home free soon!

This was how I pulled up DD’s bio off google…

Please note: as far as the DT position statements… since DD did not play a snap in 2014… NDSue or some other DT ‘may’ have surpassed sack #’s…

JTDG: please don’t be mad at me? I just had to state as he (DD) has been too big a part of our recent resurgent history!

32. By Coach K on Mar 2, 2015 | Reply

Dockett was a good player, but never great. His best game was the superbowl game vs. the Steelers. His game was inside as part of a four man front. The 3-4 defense was never made for him. He was a fish out of water playing D-end. Campbell is the perfect size for the 3-4 end. Long and lean.

33. By beltramiscott on Mar 3, 2015 | Reply

Well,Well,Well, here we go. Darnell is all mouth, a cardinal faithful. Please, he is a Dansby only worse. To the niners! I pray we do not take him back. It would be in our best interest to have him become a niner. Make him watch us get our super bowl from the couch. I would never ever take him back after all his talk about being a cardinal faithful at heart. He gave away his respect. When could you ever trust him. Next stop for Darnell the hall of shame, all his talk ,all smoke. Go chase it Darnell and stay there. Everyone you just turned on. That works well in ninerland.

34. By Lee W. Flanagan on Mar 3, 2015 | Reply

Don’t do it man! Careful what you go for…you just might get it…along with the poor record that’s awaiting the San Francisco team. Not a way to finish your career. This will determine whether or not your heart is in football or your wallet.

35. By jasonc on Mar 3, 2015 | Reply

This is why it’s hard to take the posters on this blog seriously. To say that Dock was NEVER a great player is a false statement as BigAL excellently illustrated with his post. The truth is that Dock isn’t as great as he once was and hasn’t been for the past three or so years, so the organization isn’t going to pay him like a premier player this season.

36. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 3, 2015 | Reply

bigAl,

Why would I be mad at you? Well Done.

You see, 90% of the people on here will just give a thumbs down or make some stupid comment without backing it up.

You showed that Dockett had 3 pro bowls, and showed his stats to back your argument. I love it.

Funny you should mention 2007 as the changing point. Two things happened in 2007-2008.

From 2007 till now, we transitioned into a 3-4 defense. He called himself a DT and had the cards list him as a DT so he could have the stats you listed.

Second, we drafted Campbell in 2008, who is a far better player. His presence surely helped DD.

So lets compare apples to apples. He plays the same spot as JJ Watt. Sure his 40.5 sacks in 11 years seems impressive (which by the way is 3.7 sacks a year)
    But Watt has 57 in 4 years from the same position. That is the definition of great.

Dockett had some good years, but 3.7 sacks a year? Hardly a beast or considered great. (yes, more goes into playing than sacks)
    Lets look at DTs
    Suh, a true DT has 36 in 5 years (7.2 per year)
    Darius – 4 yrs 28.5 sacks (7.125 per year)
    McCoy has only played 2 of his 5 years completely and has 27 (5.4 sacks yr)
    Richardson in his frst 2 years has 11.5 (5.75 per year)
    I could go on, but I will end it with his team mate
    Campbell has 43.5 in 7 years (6.2 sacks per year)

Point is, he is a DE not a tackle. But even matched up with his career stats vs other DTs, he is not elite. He was a good , hard nose player for the cards for 11 years. Not the beast some make him out to be.

37. By dave escalera on Mar 3, 2015 | Reply

all players with a few exceptions have short careers, so I really don’t blame them for going for the $$$. payton, Montana etc. all got put out to pasture when their perspective teams deem they were to long of tooth. So “I” don’t get angry when players jump ship. does the name “neon dion” come to mind, look at his fingers..

38. By Andy Kw on Mar 3, 2015 | Reply

Does anyone else think Jaron Brown can be our future #2 WR when Larry retires?

39. By jasonc on Mar 3, 2015 | Reply

JTDG-

During Darnell Dockett’s 5 year prime from 2007-2011 he was among the best 3-4 defensive ends as a pass rusher notching 28.5 sacks or 5.7 a year. He peaked in 2011 where even though he only had four sacks, he collected 15 hits and 35 hurries — those 54 total pressures were second best for the position, just behind Justin Smith. He declined to an average state as a pass rusher at the position in 2012 and 2013, and missed all of 2014 although you still use that year as an average for his yearly sack total. Look up other 3-4 DE’s during that streak and tell me who was better, you could even argue that it was Dockett’s ability from the 3-4 DE position that opened the door for players like Watt, Richardson and Campbell to be the players they are today.

40. By bigcardfan on Mar 3, 2015 | Reply

Typical Drew Rosenhouse ploy

41. By Kevin S Mesa on Mar 3, 2015 | Reply

$2.5M for a year seems right. And if Dockett leaves to take $2.75M or $3M somewhere else, then people are right about the Dansby comparison. If someone offers him a longer term deal with guaranteed money, different story — but I can’t see that happening for a guy coming off his injury.

42. By BigAL on Mar 3, 2015 | Reply

bigcardfan
    Didn’t Drew “The Queen of the Divas” Rosenhaus…use the same ploy with our
    beloved Kurt Warner??? And then Kurt got blindsided in New Orleans that same season & Brenda said…”OK Kurt, that’s it! Either yer done or I’m done!” And he was done, & left 12 million on the table & walked away…

I honestly don’t know who his agent was then??? I just remember he went to SF
    first also, & we got him right back here (the next day) & signed him for 2 more years @ like 24million! Shame we didn’t have a Jared Velheer back then! And I believe he was like 36 when we signed him? 37 when he walked away?

Thank You jasonc! & Thanks JTDG… will try to get back to ya later…

43. By Chuck 1 on Mar 3, 2015 | Reply

Hi Darren,

The reason that I asked what the average salary of a DT is that I wonder how the Cards’ offer of $2,500,000 compares with what other DTs receive.

44. By Darren Urban on Mar 3, 2015 | Reply

Chuck 1 —

Re: Salaries

If you are talking about all DTs, there is little question $2.5M would be above average. But Darnell wouldn’t see him as just another DT, and I can’t blame him for that.

45. By Scott H on Mar 3, 2015 | Reply

Andy KW –

RE: Jaron Brown being a future #2 when Fitz retires

Well, really, how can you even ask that question after ONE season during which he had VERY limited opportunities??? Don’t we need to see a LOT more of him to be able to have ANY idea what he’s gonna be?

BTW, you did mean JARON Brown, right? Not JOHN Brown? ’cause my hopes for JOHN Brown are VERY high!

46. By Scott H on Mar 3, 2015 | Reply

CORMAC –

I really don’t think anyone has forgotten what a force Darnell HAS BEEN in the past. You don’t have to sell anyone here on that. What has to be considered is what he is GOING TO BE in 2015….at the age of 34….and coming off a major injury. And needing those knees to get that push that HAS made him such a force. Is that knee gonna be up to the task?

Is he still gonna be a “force” in the middle at this point? We don’t know, the Cardinals don’t know, DD doesn’t even know. But there’s no way you can overlook what his situation is.

I mean, what happens if the Cards bring him back – at whatever number they bring him back at – and it is obvious from early on that he just can’t do it anymore? Then what? That hurts the team. I don’t want to see that.

I don’t think anyone can look at DD RIGHT NOW as anything but a question mark for 2015. And, unfortunately, that question cannot really be answered until we are much further down the road. He’s gonna be something of a gamble for anyone.

47. By carlo milano on Mar 3, 2015 | Reply

how many suitors for dockett?
    at now just san francisco…
    i know dockett is pissed off,coming from a severe injury,being 34 and after go released.not many team interested or doesnt want to offer a good contract

48. By clssylssy on Mar 4, 2015 | Reply

Scott H & others…
    I don’t think anyone can say with any certainty how a player will perform when coming back from a season ending injury…we have seen it already with Jonathan Cooper, Tyrann Mathieu and others so any of our guys lost last season will come back probably more fragile than before (including Carson Palmer). Dockett is looking better than he has in years, is trimmer, more buff, ripped, and seems to have gained a new appreciation for his job and thirst to compete. Our defensive front needs tough, determined players and given his knowledge of the defense and commitment to the team, I think he has a lot of assets we won’t find in signing some other player in the twilight of their career who will take at least half the season to learn the defense and most likely will come to us after a history of injuries (Dockett missed only two games before he was hurt last season so, is relatively in good shape by NFL standards).
    Doc would be stupid not to kick the tires with other teams and see what’s out there, and, if there is a better offer that he thinks is worth moving, take it. It’s called making an informed decision. People deserve to be happy in their job, and I doubt that any of the posters on this site have ever passed up a raise or given their employer their services out of “loyalty”. This is a profession and I have to wonder why the NFL even bothers with contracts as they are never met and don’t seem to be worth the paper they”re written on. The NFL is better at moving money around with their smoke and mirrors than any Las Vegas illusionist or the mob!
    As usual, your points are well stated.

49. By Scott H on Mar 4, 2015 | Reply

clssylssy –

Oh, I do not doubt that Double D is highly motivated to continue playing at a high level AND probably working his tail off to have himself ready to go. I’m sure he feels RIGHT NOW that he will be ready to roll soon. I would fully expect him to feel that way. But regardless of how slimmed down or ripped or whatever he may look RIGHT NOW, he is not being subjected to the rigors of what an NFL regular season would put him through RIGHT NOW. That’s why I say he is a bit of a gamble RIGHT NOW – because we may not know what he is truly capable of ( or not ) until months down the road, like when training camps start and it’s time to start working every day for real.

2. Mar 2, 2015: Justin Smith to meet with Tomsula this week; 49ers will host Darnell Dockett – Sacramento Bee | ALIBABA ENTERTAINMENT