Early on, FA names start to float

Posted by Darren Urban on March 7, 2015 – 3:18 pm

It’s the first day that teams can officially speak to the agents of free-agents-to-be, and as always, there’s plenty of early info floating around about certain players and certain teams. It does not mean anyone is locked in to signing anywhere, and certainly, there is the possibility agents are leaking interest publicly to drive their client’s market price up. With those caveats, the Cardinals were mentioned in a couple places thus far:

— Trent Cole, who would be a linebacker/pass rusher and who was cut by the Eagles already (and could sign at any time) has been making multiple visits, but the Cardinals are reportedly among the teams interested.

— Falcons linebacker Sean Weatherspoon is “leaning toward” the Cards, according to Rand Getlin. Weatherspoon, who would be a nice addition as an inside linebacker, has had it rough injury-wise of late — he missed all of last season with a ruptured Achilles tendon and played only seven games in 2013. If healthy, however, it’d upgrade the front seven. The Cards liked Weatherspoon coming out in 2010.

— The same reporter who broke Darnell Dockett’s release is saying the Cards have interest in Ravens UFA Pernell McPhee as a Dockett replacement. Not sure if McPhee would be a linebacker or defensive end for the Cardinals, given his 6-foot-3, 280-pound frame (although the Cardinals already have Alex Okafor and Matt Shaughnessy as linebackers at that size.)

— Perhaps interest in Bears DT Stephen Paea.

Again, free agents can’t even set up visits before Tuesday, and the Cards would have guys take physicals before they’d ever sign them. So there will be speculation like this for a couple of days. In the meantime, we see what is thrown out there as teams and players maneuver for the best deals possible.

— Last thing. I (surprisingly) have gotten multiple questions about Reggie Wayne. Yes, I know he played with Bruce Arians. But why would the Cardinals do that? Makes zero sense. They have their elder statesman receiver in Fitz. Arians said walking in the door he wanted to turn Fitz into what he turned Wayne into in Indy — so why would the Cards need another one of those guys? Plus, you wouldn’t want someone blocking the development of Floyd and the Browns, nor do you want someone else who would be unhappy if he wasn’t getting the ball.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

44 Responses to “Early on, FA names start to float”

1. By Jacob Hewitt on Mar 7, 2015 | Reply

Darren Urban
    Did you tell Bruce Arians to get Todd Gurley

2. By Jacob Hewitt on Mar 7, 2015 | Reply

Darren Urban
    Tell Bruce to get Suh Chargers targeting Suh

3. By Andy Kw on Mar 7, 2015 | Reply

I did not think of moving Shaughnessy back to the DL. That’s not a bad idea

4. By Andy Kw on Mar 7, 2015 | Reply

Paea had a breakout season last year. Like this guy as potential target

5. By BigAL on Mar 7, 2015 | Reply

Darren…
    re:Reggie Wayne
    Because non of us like Fitz being improperly used in the Hines Ward role!!! Fitz is still too young! He is renowned for his Jumpball abilities perhaps the best ever at it! He needs to be back outside in the X position where that option is more available! That’s why! And yes Reggie performed well in it! that’s why he thought Larry would/could… but its’ not LARRY!!! It’s not a good/the right fit for Larry! Sorry to say it but Floyd will never be Larry! Never!!!

6. By jeffgollin on Mar 7, 2015 | Reply

Is Shaughnessy a better fit at SOLB or as a Campbell backup clone at DE?

Or – if he’s good at either position – doesn’t this give Steve Keim more flexibility toward filling holes at both the DB and LB positions?

7. By krehbieo14 on Mar 7, 2015 | Reply

It’s obvious from all the agent/media buzz that the Cardinals are sticking to their promise of being aggressive in FA. Keim has obviously been working the phones and marketing our Super Bowl push to potential players. I like the names so far that have emerged, ie. McPhee, Spoon, Wilhoite, Pea, Cole, Wiz and others. Should be a fun ride. Hope we pick up a top tier running back in the mix!

8. By Coach K on Mar 7, 2015 | Reply

I’m surprised they are not considering Iupati. I can only assume his price tag is too high. If the Cards sign a center and a linebacker in F.A., then my mock draft looks more like this:

1. T.J. Clemmings, T, Pitt (Move him inside to guard then later to tackle)
    2. Jay Ajay, RB, Boise St. (Size with speed)
    3. Alex Carter, CB, Stanford (In the mold of Cro)
    4. Antwan Goodly, WR-KR, Baylor (I thought he might be a steal later but he’s too good to last that long).
    5. Ramik Wilson, ILB, Georgia (Solid skill sets with decent pass coverage ability)
    6. Sean Mannion, QB, Oreg. St (I’m hanging on and hoping B.A. sees what I see in this coaches kid)
    7. Cam Thomas, CB, W. Ky. (Playmaker who is always around the ball)

9. By Eazy E on Mar 7, 2015 | Reply

Trent Cole is a very good player, pass rushing and against the run. Brian Orakpo is very good too though. Weatherspoon would be a beautiful duo with my man Daryl and that speed, hitting, and coverage would be sick! Pernell McPhee is interesting and an intriguing player. At 6’3 and 280 lbs, he can play both DE and OLB, Wow!!! Stephen Paea is better than I thought, but if Dan doesn’t come back, Wilfork has to be the #1 replacement at Nose Guard! I agree with you Darren on the Reggie Wayne supporters to Arizona, Wayne is a HOF, but he couldn’t be no better than a #3 or even #4 how loaded we are at WR! I wouldn’t even won’t Wayne to be that low how great he is! I would rather him go to a team where he could at least start or contribute heavily. Free Agency is gonna be crazy again this year maybe than any year lately here.

10. By clssylssy on Mar 8, 2015 | Reply

LOL! Yep, I’m sure many fans thought “Cardinals…Arians” when they heard Wayne was cut and wanted to play for a “contender”. Never mind that this wouldn’t make real good sense, since when did that matter? And, Witherspoon…immediately I think “constantly injured”; would it be so difficult to TRY to get players who are at least marginally healthy?
    I think we all saw how important it was to the playoffs to have durable players, and with the majority of the Cards team coming back from some sort of injury, I would hope Keim would place a high priority on health and toughness even if it meant paying a little more. It really doesn’t mean much if you have freed up cap space but don’t spend it on difference makers.
    On the other hand, I haven’t heard anyone outside of Cardinal land use “contender” and “Cardinals” in the same sentence this season. Guess it will take some time to live down the “worse playoff game in history” and be taken seriously again!

11. By Andy Kw on Mar 8, 2015 | Reply

Wayne can be our fifth option in hail Mary situations

12. By Big Ken on Mar 8, 2015 | Reply

I’m not wild about Weatherspoon, seems injury prone.

13. By rod (Eddie Goldman RD1) on Mar 8, 2015 | Reply

Darren-

Cards are silent for running backs, is it possible that they somehow have a deal worked out for Peterson?

I don’t want him here because of the way abused his child, 250 pound berserker against a 4 year old.

Just curious because RBs are moving quick.

Thanks

14. By Darren Urban on Mar 8, 2015 | Reply

Rod —

RE: RB

I just don’t see the Cards paying $10M a season for a back.

15. By Coach K on Mar 8, 2015 | Reply

Well, I got 5 thumbs down on my alternative mock earlier. Hmm. I based it on rumors the Cards were offering two linebackers, possibly two offensive centers in FA. So here’s another option after free agency ends:

1. Melvin Gordon, RB, Wis.
    2. Michael Bennett, DT, Ohio St.
    3. Kwon Alexander, OLB, LSU
    4. Josue Matias, OG, FSU
    5. Justin Cox, CB, Miss. st.
    6. Sean Mannion, QB, Oreg. st
    7. Shaquille Riddick, DE, West. Va.

Based on post combine grading, all of the above will be
    on the board at these picks.

16. By Scott H on Mar 8, 2015 | Reply

Wow, lots of departures from the NFC West so far. Dockett from the Cardinals…and it seems like everyone expects Cromartie to go as well. Hearing today that Maxwell and FRANK GORE and both headed to Philly ( who, BTW, has MAD money to spend in FA ). Gore might be a great fit for Philly with the O-line they have. I really wonder about Maxwell, though. Is he REALLY a top CB if you take him out of that LOADED defense in Seattle and put him somewhere where he now has to be a star WITHOUT all those other stars around him??? The defensive backfield in Philly was awful last year. Maxwell can’t fix that by himself.

I was REEEEEEALLY hoping for a Marshawn Lynch retirement but….didn’t happen. D’oh! Looks like the offense – the same offense that has friggin TORTURED the Cardinals as of late – stays intact. But on the bright side of that, maybe the money they needed to commit to Lynch will cost them someone else. I would LOVE to see any solid piece of that Seahawks D come over here to our side.

Also saw that Ingram is staying in New Orleans, so there goes the RB I was hoping for. Ah well. There might still be LeGarette Blount, who I would welcome with open arms!

Can’t feel excited about Witherspoon given the recent – and significant – hx of injury. Damn, man, we didn’t deal with enough injuries in 2014???? We need to target guys who are prone to them???

17. By brinnc on Mar 8, 2015 | Reply

Clssylssy
    You wont hear many use Cardinals and contenders in the same sentence, outside of rabid Cardinal fans!! Even with a ton of injury’s last season and we were 9-1 you could see the grimace on the so called experts faces when they were forced to talk about us!! It just sickens me! Not sure how long you have been a Cardinals fan but Im in the latter half of my 4th decade!! Nobody had a problem all those years in calling us the laughing stock of the NFL, I think it is about time that the experts, and all the fans recognise we are going to be on top or close to it for years to come!! They need to give respect where respect is due!!!

18. By Areg on Mar 8, 2015 | Reply

I like the notion of having Peterson at RB but I don’t the cards want to pay a back that much and then still have Ellington spelling him for touches as well.

I can see them going for a late round pick like Alfred morris who would be one-dimensional but its basically what we need to pair with Ellington.

Just to throw out some suggestions, I see Ridley being a good inexpensive option at RB.

19. By Coach K on Mar 8, 2015 | Reply

I think it’s obvious Keim is going to draft a young running back. The question is, will he go for one of the elite backs early, or wait until the middle rounds for the next level down?

What have you heard?

20. By Darren Urban on Mar 8, 2015 | Reply

Coach K —

RE: RB

I don’t know. I’d think he will draft one but I’m not ruling out a cheap FA RB. I do not see the big $$ FA RB. But I’ve been wrong before.

21. By Andy Kw on Mar 8, 2015 | Reply

Sean Weatherspoon will be a Cardinal so let’s just hope he’s healthy.As for AP, the vikings probably will restructure his contract for trade to us, maybe $4M a year. We shall trade TJeff & 3rd RD pick for him. If not, we could target Roy Helu a cheap but really well rounded RB.

22. By BigAL on Mar 8, 2015 | Reply

Coach K
    What do you do if both Todd Gurley & Melvin Gordon are there @ 24? And now that Frank Gore & Mark Ingram are gone…I honestly feel we already have good enuf RB’s in our stable as any current FA’s remaining out there…

23. By Marcelo on Mar 9, 2015 | Reply

I’d be glad to have Perterson on an 1-year deal, although I believe he’d never sign such a contract.

Add a trustworthy RB in Free Agency, go for a LB in the draft and another in free agency too, gear up the Cornerback in the second round of the draft and Superbowl ring will be shining in Fitzgerald’s finger for real.

24. By D on Mar 9, 2015 | Reply

Wow, P. Willis to retire, to go along with the loss of Gore and J. Smith retirement…have fun up there DD.

I hope Cards don’t spend more of their future Cap with AP….cheap RB in Free agency that is big, D. McFadden.

Cards signing the Oak Center tomorrow and releasing Lyle?
    Doubtful if Cole will make it out here tomorrow, Cards need to sign one Vet pass rusher, guessing Worilds will go to TN. Pass rushers are getting signed..

25. By James J on Mar 9, 2015 | Reply

I am starting to suspect a big flop for Cardinals FA plans. First, Cards let Dockett go, and now plan on picking up another injured rehabilitating player in Weatherspoon???? Letting Dockett go to 49ers has got to be the dumbest GM move ever!!

Nobody in the Cards FA class last year made a huge impact an neither will this year. Yes, Veldheer was a great add, but as it turns out all of our QBs went down anyway so it really did not make any difference.

Cards need a big IMPACT player who can change the dynamics and be the ultimate playmaker. Maybe that is AP, or was Suh? But then again, Cards will never pay the money to bring in those types of players. They want “value” whatever the heck that is…basically means mediocrity.

26. By Darren Urban on Mar 9, 2015 | Reply

James J —

RE: FA

So free agency hasn’t even officially begun and you are suspecting it’s a flop?

OK then.

27. By georgiebird on Mar 9, 2015 | Reply

Too many people are dumping on the middle of the OL especially Sendlein. Every team can use an upgrade on the OL when trying to improve on an 11-5 record. The Cards ended the season with three tough games against excellent divisional defenses. The games were played with a 3rd string QB. Kerwynn Williams a virtual unknown ends the season with a 4.6 yds avg.
    While the team needs to improve in all areas, the primary needs are still:
    1) Linebackers -(we need big time improvement here)
    2) NT (can’t play 3-4 against good teams without a solid NT needing a double)
    3) Additional DE if Stinson and Martin can’t do it
    4) Running back- if KW can get 4.6 yds/c – what can a top RB do?
    The defense has padded their stats mostly against teams with lesser QBs. Against the better QBs the defense has been very ordinary (if not porous).
    I’m depending on BASK to see what really has to be done.

28. By James J on Mar 9, 2015 | Reply

Just an educated opinion based on ESPN Insider news, etc. If you look at the all the big names rumored to be signing with teams, Cards aren’t even a whisper of possibility. That said, I’ve been a true Cards fan since they moved to the valley and will gladly eat my words if wrong.

I’ve not heard anyone mention QB needs? Palmer is returning, but he is not getting any younger and will virtually have zero mobility, which will once again put a tremendous strain on the OL. Because of that we need a future QB (Stanton not it) and a premier power RB like AP or DM to offset Palmer lack of mobility

29. By clssylssy on Mar 9, 2015 | Reply

Looks like the Eagles are on a mission! Wish I could say the same for the Cards…and, judging from the Weatherspoon move, it’s hard to get too excited as we’re talking a player coming off TWO seasons of injuries! Seems like I keep hearing how the Cards are going to be aggressive in the FA but I’ll believe it when I see it; after twenty years I’ll be the first to admit being a skeptic because it’s the same song different key year-after-year. Arizona is a retirement community!

30. By James J on Mar 9, 2015 | Reply

Bottom Line, I’m just pissed the Cards let Dockett go!! Now they’re going to sign Weatherspoon @ 4M/yr when they could have retained Dockett for that amount??? Steve Keim lost my confidence as a GM capable of putting together a SB team!

31. By much.faster on Mar 9, 2015 | Reply

@james J, sorry, but MY cards aren`t playing to get a aged diva like peterson to canton, they play to get the TEAM to the playoffs (better with lindley in them with peterson out).

if we need a starsigning, i would like the resigning of cro, but i doubt he will be available for a reasonable sum. i wish him the best in green.

32. By James J on Mar 9, 2015 | Reply

Dockett gave the Cards “D” swagger and the fans loved him!!! As a season ticket holder I can’t express how disappointed I was with the Cards decision to let him go.

33. By NJAzCardsFan on Mar 9, 2015 | Reply

Watching ESPN today… They think Revis may go back to the Jets….

If that happens I would expect Cro to return……

The 49er’s are taking a beating with the expected loss of Gore, Willis retiring and $7m in cap space….

Tomorrow at 4pm EDT should be interesting….

34. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Mar 9, 2015 | Reply

With Minter hurt last year, Okafor reportedly arrested last night, and DWashed, better get all 3 Spoon Cole and Orakpo

35. By jwilliamsspf on Mar 9, 2015 | Reply

Sounds like Weatherspoon is a done deal according to Yahoo!. 1 year – $4 mil. Exactly the way Keim does it, so it’s a believable deal to me.

36. By krehbieo14 on Mar 9, 2015 | Reply

I think it’s plausible that the Cardinals may negotiate a deal with Adrian Peterson. Peterson is connected to both Keim and Fitz. Keim wanted Peterson in 2007 and the team, against his wishes, settled on Levi Brown. This is his opportunity at redemption. Peterson is in a vulnerable spot due to his child abuse issues and needs a place to rehabilitate his image. What could be a better situation than linking him up with the Arians Family Foundation for needy kids and playing for the Cardinals. Palmer restructured his contract for a reason. I see an impact signing on the horizon in FA and I think Peterson may be the guy.

37. By Dr. G. on Mar 9, 2015 | Reply

Darren…

Do you know the Class C misdemeanor offense Okakpo was previously charged with in Austin?((allegedly)) … Class C includes simple assault and illegal drugs, not including speeding, littering, noise…etc… Seems not so wonderful news…

Thanks… A big day mañana…

38. By Darren Urban on Mar 9, 2015 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Okafor

I don’t know any details at all, other than whatever has been reported in the Austin paper.

39. By Dr. G. on Mar 9, 2015 | Reply

Darren… Clarifying…Orakpo tried to elude police who had an arrest warrant on the issue I mentioned earlier..thx

40. By Drew on Mar 9, 2015 | Reply

James J –

Dockett will be 34 and although I like him, he offered no run support and was really average against the pass in his later years. “Swag” won’t do anything for us right now.

And Weatherspoon plays a different position so I’m not sure I understand your argument. Weatherspoon was a very good linebacker before his injuries. Players can come back from them and play at a high level again. See Cromartie.

41. By jwilliamsspf on Mar 9, 2015 | Reply

Let’s face it, Dockett did great things for the years he played in AZ, but his quick signing with a division rival smells of an emotional decision vs. a well thought out decision. He may be looking at the news in SF today and wondering if he should have taken a step back and accepted a few more calls before rushing up to the bay.

42. By BigAL on Mar 9, 2015 | Reply

krehbieo14
    So far your getting thumbs up on the AP idea is/would be a game changer…altho
    I’m more concerned w/the Vikings cost/need? What would you be willing to give up? They’re gonna want a 1st or 2nd Rnd minimum ah? Or would you swap out contracts & Peterson’s…And then get Cro resigned? The Vikes could sure love/use PP in that division! Just sayin…

43. By krehbieo14 on Mar 9, 2015 | Reply

I’m glad Im not a GM! This would be a real roll of the dice. You don’t want to mortgage our future with such a deal. I would not give away any high draft picks for Peterson, nor would I give away good defensive talent. Maybe a couple of future 5th round draft picks? He’d have to be willing to restructure a deal – whatever the offer, keep it two years with the option for a third? Don’t hold me to it guys. Just dreaming. LOL

2. Mar 9, 2015: Cardinals Blogs | DL Peters could be another FA addition