The need for speed and that first draft pick

Posted by Darren Urban on March 26, 2015 – 11:28 am

The Cardinals may or may not sign another noteworthy free agent (although knowing the history of Steve Keim, it’s likely they will at some point.) But there is little question, with the draft just about a month away, the Cards are going to be turning their attention there. Bruce Arians left little doubt what he wanted to see when the Cards use their eight picks.

“In the draft, it’s still speed,” Arians said. “Speed at running back, speed at receiver, speed at linebacker, another interior player.” (I’m guessing the speed isn’t as important for that last one.)

At this point, assuming no significant changes to the roster pre-draft, I would guess there is a chance the Cardinals could take a running back with their first pick. I still think that’s unlikely, although it’s so hard to predict anything when you are talking about the 24th overall pick. So many different options could be there. I still think the Cards would like to get that edge pass rusher in the first round. If he’s not there, would anyone be surprised if Keim tried to trade down? Maybe a young cornerback could be the pick (at this point, both Justin Bethel and Jerraud Powers are scheduled to be free agents after the season.)

The running back will be the position that draws the attention. Nothing has happened to change my mind about a certain potential trade for a vet running back. Paying a running back who has been in the league a ton of money doesn’t make a lot of sense in the grand scheme of things. Not when the Cardinals could take a running back on a rookie contract and pair him with Andre Ellington.

“This might be the best group (of running backs) top to bottom that I’ve seen in about 10 years,” Arians said. “There’s some teams in college running the ball and not just at the top two or four guys but all the way down. There are 15 really quality running backs in this draft.”

Bruce Arians, Steve Keim

Tags: , , , , ,

75 Responses to “The need for speed and that first draft pick”

1. By carlo milano on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

cardinals have had for visit melvin gordon and tevin coleman
    so i ll guess they will draft gurley if he will drop to them

2. By Craig on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

Still not sure why the Cardinals don’t bring back Dwyer. Since they are apparently interested in Peterson, who was suspended. Arians stated how much the team missed Dwyer. He has speed and size. We could bring him back for next to nothing as far as salary goes. He can help our team.

3. By Travilavis on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

A stud pass rusher, I think, would benefit greatly with C. Camobell and A. Okafor holding his own.

4. By Coach K on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

I agree with speed and I’m a believer in taking the best available athlete over perceived needs. That is why I decided to offer my FINAL, Mock draft today and I will not add another one to his blog until the draft.

These are the “athletes” I would take at each round if I’m Keim and company.

1- Jalen Collins, CB, LSU
    (fast, tall and athletic and fills a need opposite PP)

2- Lorenzo Mauldin, OLB, Louisville.
    (edge rusher who can also hold the edge in run defense)

3- Sean Mannion, QB, Oregon St.
    (will be all pro franchise QB, and insurance against Logan bust)

4- David Cobb, RB, Minnesota
    (power back who always falls forward. Excellent pass protector)

5- B.J. Finney, C, Kansas St.
    (high character, intelligent player who has excellent skill set)

6- Laurence Gibson, OT, Va. Tech
    (local boy with great feet for a big man. adds depth to position)

7- Cam Thomas, CB, W.Ky
    (small school guy with outstanding coverage skills and is athletic)

7b- Zack Zenner, RB, So. Dakota St.
    (small school guy with great wheels, heart and size. Rocky Balboa in cleats)

That’s it folks. My final mock!

5. By Darren Urban on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

Coach K —

RE: “Final” Mock

We’ll see. Something tells me you’ll have a hard time holding off for another month.

6. By jwoodaz on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

first off thanks for something(anything really) in these dog days of “off” season..
    Speed was not a thing most players showed at combine this year, and the ones who did have speed with talent could easily be gone by pick 24, however a lot of talent in first three rounds that could help team depth or even a starter? No sense in guessing though, Mr. Keim has surprised me in first two rounds both previous drafts so no sweating it out for a favorite for me this year, just gonna be happy with whomever. So many possibilities at 24 that you just gotta go with best linebacker, edge rusher or even top running back if they’re still there, feels like a real win for our position this year. Hard to wait and see, but that is the scenario so..Again ty for all you do on this blog and all the other forms of info and discussion. Underground?????

7. By Jon on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

Real needs are at DB and safeties who can cover tight ends. THEN the needs for speed at LB must be addressed. You don’t lose Cro and go back to leaving PP exposed because there is no guarantee that he has recovered the speed and quickness he once had in his rookie year and has been lacking ever since, reputedly due to his medical issues, and the Cards will not survive if he remains slow with no one like Cro here to help.

8. By Andy Kw on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

I’m interested to see what Kareem Martin can do. Arian’s says he has Aldon Smith like quality but will he produce? He has the size and strength but will he live up to Arian’s expectations? I agree he has the talent but he needs to stay consistent.
    If we draft Eli Harold ( most likely available at 24), our defense improves but if we elect to make Kareem Martin an OLB, Harold could move inside next season and we’d be set with duo Washington and Harold. With young Okafor and Martin manning the outside

9. By brinnc on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

Want to thank you Darren for pointing out what I have been trying to emphasize since all this AP trade talk surfaced. The Cardinals want a downhill power RB to pair with Ellington!! Which in my simple mind rules out a certain 30 year old RB who still commands to much money, has to many issues, and will go to any lengths to get what he wants, the way both he and his agent have undermined an Organization should be a red flag for future behavior, what happens if the Cardinals use multiple high draft picks, then pay $8-10million a season for AP and he ends up unhappy after next season, what crazy antics do the Cardinals have to look forward to. BA has stated how talented and deep this years class of RB’s are, im convinced that any high draft pick rookie RB the Cardinals draft and pair up with Ellington will outperform the numbers AP could rack up, and for a lot less money, and off field headaches!!
    Is there a chance that Ellington and said draft pick flop, yes! Is there a chance AP comes to Arizona and flops, yes!! The difference is money!! It cost the Cardinals millions less if AE and the rookie fail, than if AP fails!! AP has many documented off field issues, AE has none, and going to assume (yes assuming is a bad thing to do) that the Cardinals will not draft a RB if he has off field issues, especially when there are 14 other candidates that have no character or off field problems waiting to blow up in the Cardinals face!!
    And I said just yesterday I was done with the AP saga!! I just cant do it, cant stay away from it, im addicted to Cardinal football, damn it is taking over my life!! LOL!

10. By D on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

Mock a QB in Round 3? You assuming Logan falls flat on his face
    after all the work he is going to get this summer?

a) Cards are not carrying 4 QB’s into Week 1
    b) Cards are not cutting Palmer, do to many reasons, Cap reason is a main issue.
    c) Drew Stanton is BA’s guy. They won’t release him going into the season with Carson’s injury and have two inexperience QB’s sitting behind him.

#24 in the draft may not get you the top 2 RB’s or the top 3 Pass Rushers to fit in a 3-4 but one of the top 3 CB’s will be there and trading down adding picks is always an option if they can find a willing partner.

No one is saying we need another ILB, even though the Cards looked at more than Spoon this offseason. Who is coming off two years of injuries. Minter played hurt and not very well last year and then you have DWash. Is everyone now coming to the conclusion, after a 4-6 game suspension he will be back as a starter? If so, he will have a lot of rust to knock off…

11. By Chuck 1 on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

I have a request/suggestion.

It would be fun to have a contest among the fans on this site if you would allow them each to post ONE Mock Draft (a few days before the draft), not by name, but by position e.g.
    #1: OLB
    #2: RB
    #3: CB
    etc.

I realize that it would be additional work for you (and the webmaster?), but it would be a unique event.

The reward for the winner(s)? An “Atta Boy” (or ???)

Your thoughts?

12. By Darren Urban on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

Chuck 1 —

RE: Mock by position

Interesting concept. I will run it up the flagpole.

13. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

Draft guess/translation of what I heard BA say:

1. best available of speed CB OLB ILB;
    2. same as 1 but add RB;
    3. same as 2 but add WR DL OL, deleting positions drafted above;
    4. ditto 3 add TE;
    5. best available any position;
    6. ditto
    7. ditto
    8. ditto
    No QB? that’s my wild Card…thoughts?

14. By krehbieo14 on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

Assuming we don’t chase AP, hopefully we might pick up Tevin Coleman in rounds 2 or 3. He’s a downhill runner who has great pass protection skills. Ran for more than 200 yards in Indiana’s game against Ohio State! He fits our need as a physical back with speed.

15. By clssylssy on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

Would LOVE to get Jalen Collins, CB (LSU) but doubt he’ll be there when we pick, also need a pass rusher like maybe Trey Flowers (Arkansas) or Shane Ray (Missouri), DT…ArikArmstead or Eddie Goldman (Armstead will go before we get a chance at him). Since BA is wanting more speed, I’m sure we’ll take a RB (hopefully more an Eddie Lacey than another Andre Ellington) and because of his weakness for QBs, I’m betting we’ll take another QB (hopefully if we do, it’s somebody worth a pick and not another project)…Bryce Petty mostly will lbe gone… who will compete for the 3rd QB spot (perhaps moving Thomas to TE if the other guy is better). It’s a tradition to take a WR whether we need one or not, and so maybe Jaelen Strong (ASU) or Tyler Lockett (K-State)…or none of the above and just play the Cards we’re dealt?
    Given our draft order, I try not to get my hopes up unless Keim decides to trade down and get us at least one legitimate difference maker. LSU’s Pro day is Friday and Les Miles always turns out a honey hole of talent so that’s a thought too!

16. By Scott H on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

Well, I’m all AP’ed out at this point! Nothing new to say, so…we just have to wait and see.

Where the RB position is concerned, I certainly hope it is their TOP priority come draft day, regardless of where they take one. The lessons of last season cannot be forgotten. When we had to totally mis-use Ellington and then ran him into the ground and then had NOTHING at the RB position for the last month of the season….our offense was pathetic. For the love of God, man, we were reduced to the point of signing Michael Bush! That was enough for me! Lesson learned! We cannot have ANY possibility of that again.

BTW, where RB is concerned, I hope POWER is as much of a consideration as speed. We have speed with Ellington, so we have the lightening. Now, we need the THUNDER!

BTW, does anyone else think the draft needs to be moved up on the calendar by AT LEAST a month or so??? I sure do. All of this mock draft stuff and analysis of needs and speculation…..it gets SOOOOOO done to death by this point AND WE STILL HAVE ANOTHER WHOLE MONTH OF IT! I can’t even listen to it anymore. The draft can’t get here fast enough.

I agree with JTDG from a previous blog about Mel Kiper. First, he has the WORST hair in the history of hair. Even Trump’s insanely pathetic comb-over is better than that look Kiper has going. If nothing else, he needs to relegated strictly to RADIO.

17. By david gonzales on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

need a running back with power. we need a running back that gets other team thinking about/the power ,speed and mind power

18. By Andy Kw on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Have the Cardinals considered or planned to work out RB Jay Ajayi of Boise State?

19. By Darren Urban on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: Ajayi

Don’t know.

20. By david gonzales on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

This is the year lets go cardinals

21. By red bird flys on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

defense

22. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

Coach K,

Zero chance that is your last mock. It might not be your last mock today !

Andy KW,

Don’t count on Martin. They are shifting him because he wasn’t stout enough for DE. They are hoping he can be saved. I would say Martin being a solid OLB is along the lines of BA saying Levi Brown is elite. He is just talking.

DTL,

Yes, I think you covered enough positions that you might be right. Well, unless they draft a QB in round 1. Then, you wont be right till round 2.

Scott H,

What do we have to talk about after the draft? They drag it on so we can debate about it for months. Keeps football in our minds.

23. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

All right guys, Darren , you can jump in on this one also;

With Randy Gregory, a top 10 pick as a pass rushing OLB, failing multiple drug test including one at the combine, he might fall to 24.

Would you, with all that has happened with DWash, draft Gregory with the 24th pick?

24. By Kris on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

I would trade away all those picks and get Winston. The Card’s can’t just keep surviving on almost retired quarterbacks. With Winston’s high football I.Q. and Arians’ ability to get the most out of his quarterbacks, it would be a dangerous combination. If Kliem is as good as he is believed to be, then he will be able to fill in the gaps in free agency.

25. By Coach K on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

Yes, the last mock from ye old ball coach.

No sense repeating the same people over and over again. My last mock has
    the guys I would pick if my last name is Keim. All will be available at those
    positions. And D, yes, I do feel Logan will fall flat because he does not have
    the foundation of years playing QB. I’ve been coaching QB’s too long to expect position change guys to excel at the QB position without a deep routed foundation playing the position. I hope I’m wrong about Logan, but I’m too old and stubborn to believe in miracles. It ain’t going to happen. QB at this level is way over his head.

I hope everyone remembers my rant for Mannion this year a couple years from now. He will be better than the other two Pac 12 guys. Remember who told you so.

26. By Coach K on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

Darren, D, Etc.

I do want to clarify I think Logan Thomas is a great young man with tremendous athletic ability. I felt the same way about Tim Tebow. The point I’m making is, they are not NFL quarterbacks. The systems they ran in college cost them valuable techniques and reads they cannot learn this late in the game. It takes years of playing the position from high school and college to get the eyes trained to see the field pre and post snap, and to develop the timing and touch to make certain throws at certain times. Logan is a converted tight end who played in a zone read system. His passing tree was primarily first read, second read, or run.

Can he learn the NFL game. Absolutely. He’s an intelligent guy. but can he make up for the lost years of fine tuning and situation timing…No. I hope B.A. can do a Vulcan mind melt on Logan and prove me wrong, but from my experience, Logan has missed out on years of eye/timing development that simple cannot be forced fed in a year or two.

27. By georgiebird on Mar 26, 2015 | Reply

The Cards have to improve a bit to overtake the Seahawks. The position that affords the Cards the biggest potential to improve is running back.
    1) overpay for AP
    OR
    2) draft a RB#1 and hope above all that he’s not a fumbler

28. By Christopher Simms on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

The defense is there,air support is there.AE comes back healthy,just need the Thunder on the ground.go Cards.

29. By CardsFan85 on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

Do think there’s a chance we’d acquire Tim Hightower again? I know he signed a Futures Contract with the Saints, but I know they are also RB heavy. I wouldn’t mind having Hightower back in a Cards uniform even as just some depth. I love to see him make a comeback! He was promising but over-shadowed by Wells.

30. By Darren Urban on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

CardsFan —

REL Hightower

31. By shannon robinson on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

I build my “draft” from the bottom up (it’s easier to be right or not cause a fight). Any of the following guys would make me happy: My nomination for Mr. Irrelevant is Devin Mahina, TE, BYU. JJ Nelson fits the BA profile for the fastest WR from the Combine -KR/PR also. Marcus Murphy, another KR/PR; Nick Marshall CB, Auburn strong. Jake Ryan an OLB to move to inside linebacker. Marcus Hardison, DT, ASU. Hau’oli Kikaha, OLB, Washington. Ali Marpett, my Steve Keim clone. Jeff Heurman, TE, OSU. You guys choose the top picks and get us a pass rusher and a power RB. What’s not to like?

32. By jasonc on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

JTDG-

That’s a great question about Gregory. My first instinct was to say Mathieu is the flip side of the DWash coin, but he was a third round pick so it’s not the same. I think if the question was “if Gregory was available in the 3rd would you take him”, the answer would be a resounding YES.

If he is available at 24 I think you take him even with the history. He is a top 10 talent at a position of need for a team that believes they are ready to compete for a championship. If DWash has truly been clean since his suspension and has made the realization that his behavior could cost him his career then we could have two former players with similar back rounds that could be positive mentors for him.

It’s all just for talk though because even though he may slide in the draft I still think he’ll be a top 15-20 player and won’t make it to us at 24.

33. By Hammy on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

You never know whats going to happen in the draft I remember last year when they announced the Arizona Cardinals were going to select Deone Bucannon with the 27th overall pick nobody but mainly NFL scouts and analyst really knew who he was. Not only that, according to many analyst he was projected a mid to late second or third round pick.

We knew that the Cards wanted to get more physical and they went for the most physical player at that pick. This year we know the Cards are after speed. I would put my money on it that they will select the fastest player at that pick, regardless of the position. Hell that could even be Brett Hundley if he is still there.

34. By Scott H on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

JTDG –

Oh, c’mon man…..there is ALWAYS something to talk about where football is concerned! 🙂

35. By Scott H on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

An interesting something – NFL.com has a peice up right now about trades they would love to see. And, of course, AP to the Cardinals is at the top of their list. But they say in the piece that the Cardinals are “reportedly” prepared to offer a high draft pick for Peterson. Wonder what they are basing that on since the Cardinals cannot officially say anything about that, per the tampering rules…..

36. By Elijah on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

if we were to take a solid god qb in the 2nd round than just take Bryce Petty not that hard unless he already gets picked if he doesn’t and the cards are on the clock just select Bryce Petty From Baylor

37. By Elijah on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

*good*

38. By Elijah on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

if we need a good solid qb than we should just select Bryce Petty he knows what he is doing he has great accuracy and a strong arm probably going to be in 2nd round I he’s already drafted go for someone else but if he’s not and the cards are on the clock than just take Bryce Petty

39. By Elijah on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

*if*

40. By Elijah on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

and the cards also need a good young Quarterback not some retired men and if we have Logan Thomas at QB than he is going to get harassed and beaten on the field and that’s why Bryce Petty is a perfect fit for the Cardinals. Number estimation # 5

41. By Elijah on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

and Drew Stanton goes up to # 7

42. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

Sometimes this board is hard to take.
    Thumbs down on a draft question. SMH.

Jasonc,

Yeah, not saying he will fall, just posing the question. but multiple drug fails has to be a concern. Knowing they test at the combine and you still smoke, that has to be an issue.

Plus coming in at 235? I am just not sure I could take him in round 1.
    This is one of those players that only interviews can sort out.

43. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

Scott H,

Peterson Trade;

I have been hearing that for weeks. It has even been reported it is a 2nd rounder (thus , why I have been using a two in my discussions)

I just don’t believe the insider reporters make this stuff up. There has to be someone inside the meeting rooms leaking it out.

Maybe it leaks , so the agent for AP can use it as leverage saying there are trades out there. Maybe the agent is leaking it to help AP get out. Who knows?

Bottom line, where there is smoke, there is fire. Remember how everything was leaked out on the Kolb/DRC trade? We knew way ahead of time.

44. By Coach K on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

JTDG

Gregory could fall, and I would let him keep falling past us. Would rather take another shut down corner like Collins.

Don’t forget Gregory is also light in the pants. Looks more like a power forward in basketball.

But to be honest, he prepares for the Combine and knowingly smokes weed and has it in his system at the Combine.

Sorry, I don’t want no dumb ass on my team. I’ll pass on Gregory.

45. By Coach K on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

Well, Well, Well, It looks like someone else see’s what I see.

NFL scouts must be reading my posts.

46. By Scott H on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

JTDG –

Yeah….I wonder. And as you say, how many times do we situations where the smoke becomes a fire?

Regardless, it is defintely trade I would love to see, too! Makes sense for both sides. Or, at least, it makes sense for AP and the Cardinals. Don’t know about the Vikings, but….that’s their problem. They haven’t been going anywhere WITH AP, so…why not get something in return and build toward the future?

47. By Scott H on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

BTW, just a thought ( and quite a ridiculous one, to be sure ), but….imagine there being tag team wrestling matches between NFL teams where the tag teams would consist of the GM and the head coach. Gotta tell ya – with Keim and BA, I’m putting ALL my money on the Cardinals! 🙂

48. By sbrown on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

from the NFL Network, they stated that since Gregory failed his drug test at the combine, that if and when he is drafted, he will begin his career with “strike 1” and will already be in the League drug program.
    after all the Cards have been through with D. Wash, IMO no way they even look at Gregory.

49. By clssylssy on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

Re: Peterson…Now, the pundits have AP going to the Cowboys since they are so flush and need to make amends to their fans for losing Demarco Murrey. At first, I tended to discard that talk but, more and more it makes more sense since we know Keim isn’t going to pay Fitz-type money and now BA is all excited about the RB class of this draft, is talking speed (again). Jerry Jones would probably be willing to trade draft picks & pay Fitz type money just so he could appear another JR Ewing!
    What ever happened with that speed coach we hired last season…never heard much more about him and apparently he wasn’t that effective?

50. By Koolaidman on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

Elijah –

Bryce Petty looked good at the combine. He has some accuracy and a pretty good arm. However, I don’t think BA would consider him because of the system he ran in college. Arians commented that those guys aren’t really quarterbacking in the huddle and leading men. He said they just get the play called in and relay it to the offense and run it. He went on to say the leap to the NFL was too much and he wasn’t interested in that.

If what BA said is true and not a smokescreen, then I don’t think the Cards would consider him because of the differences in systems. He did look sharp throwing it though.

51. By Koolaidman on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

About AP –

At first I liked the idea. It sounded great. But the more I think about it the more I don’t think it is a good idea. AP will want guaranteed money and that will have an impact on future options signing and extending players. I don’t think he gets us over the edge. I would rather keep the picks and take the best pass rusher in the first round of the draft, and a running back and corner with the next two picks (not necessarily in that order). At running back, we really just need a guy that can compliment Ellington and split some carries and run between the tackles. Ellington was hurt and I don’t know what the prognosis is for guys coming back from foot tendon tears. But if it is good, and I hope it is, Ellington can still be a playmaker at RB.

The draft is always fun to think about. In 5 years nobody will know who half these first round guys are and they will be saying, “Can you believe ______ fell to the 6th round?” I get caught up in the hype of the first round too but I try to remember that great players end up going later. With this in mind, I would be fine if they traded out of the first round and got some other picks. It should be interesting.

52. By Scott H on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

Anyone –

Where AP is concerned…I hear people saying we shouldn’t trade for him because the draft picks are too valuable. Well,….not that I don’t see the point being made there, but there is not a single player that will be taken on draft day in April who is as much of a sure thing than AP is right now. And he has never looked like a RB who is getting ready to hit the wall.

Just sayin….

53. By Coach K on Mar 27, 2015 | Reply

Question?

If Peyton Manning was in this draft and fell to pick #24, would you take him?

54. By Big Ken on Mar 28, 2015 | Reply

@ Coach K- Peyton Manning as a rookie or Peyton Manning as the broken down old man he currently is?

55. By brinnc on Mar 28, 2015 | Reply

Kris, Trade nothing for Winston, he will be out of the NFL in two years, probably in prison!! He is so immature it is not even funny anymore, it actually concerns me that he is headed down the wrong path and could very well end up in prison, I sure hope not, hope im wrong, but no matter how talented, he isnt worth the major migraine!

Coach K,
    Last mock draft, for you?? Oh you are funny!! It is like quitting smoking for you, if you try and stop mock draft posts, you will have physical withdrawals!! LOL!
    Speaking of your last mock, at first I truly thought you had jumped off the big deep end, thought you had gone totally bonkers when I saw Mannion in 3rd! ! Then I reread your post and saw the BPA theme, still had to thumb down your post! And I rarely use the thumbs, I have no use for them and dont really care if I get 100 thumbs down, but when I saw Mannion in 3rd, even as a BPA or BAE, it is to high, overrated, obviously you are far more qualified than me when it comes to evaluating talent, I have never been paid to do it, never would have had the patience, I know all to well how difficult it is to evaluate talent for any job or career, I have to screen and evaluate young (teenagers, most of yhem are teenagers) Marines before they are brought in and trained for the rescue teams, it doesnt always work out, and surprisingly most the time the kid who doesnt cut it is the one you thought for sure was a cant miss kid! Mannion may make it in the NFL, I just dont see him as a 4th round pick, especially for the Cardinals, they arent going to carry 4 QB’s and they used a 4th round pick last year on their QB of the future
    Moving on…I thunk the rest of your picks were awesome, wouldnt complaun f Cardinals drafted any of them, actually hope they do get lucky and get a few on your list!! Im of the belief that if we trade out of 1st round for extra 2nd and 3rd round picks and we use those four picks to fill needs, by round #4 Cards should be in a position to draft BPA or BAA however you want to label it, both the same to me!! I would like to add 3 awesome athletes who I would love to see in Cardinal uniform
    Djouin Smith/CB/Florida Atlantic- not perfect measurables but awesome athlete who can cover larger WR’s also a stud KR/PR

Justin Hardy/WR/East Carolina – he is like Fitz back in his heyday, will catch anything thrown in the same area code!! Ended his career with more receptions than any other WR at any school, at any time (NCAA all time career receptions leader) and most impressive he was a walk-on at ECU because he only had offers from a few DI schools, most were DIa and lower, but all wanted him as a QB, he knew he had no future as a QB (he only played it in HS because he was by far the best player on his small HS team, he was very good at it!!) he shattered all freshman records and promptly got a scholarship!!! Also a stud KR/PR!!
    Nick Marshall/Auburn/QB – transitioning to CB in the NFL, thats an awesome athlete!! Most of the so called experts are saying he will be a starting CB by 2017 at the latest!! Could play special teams as well, at least I would think so, if he can transition from QB to CB then should be a standout on special teams!!

I especially like your pick of Zenner from SDST he would be a perfect Mr Irrelevant! ! And would be a steal and I think would raise some eyebrows of Cardinal fans, especially the casual fan!! I would be happy to see a few of the athletes you had on your list, and the 3 I added, any of them would make key contributors, at least that is my humble opinion!!

56. By clssylssy on Mar 28, 2015 | Reply

Friday was LSU’s ProDay and someone who stood out was DE Danielle Hunter, who would complement Calais at 6’5″, 252, with hands of 10 1/2″ and long arms. He has speed, agility and led the SEC in “stuffs”,,,squeaky clean character…kinda sounds like a Campbell clone! Might be a consideration…oh, and did I mention “speedy” like BA wants?

57. By brinnc on Mar 28, 2015 | Reply

All (especially Coach K, JTDG, AndyKw, D, Scott H)
    I think Coach K and his “theme” mock drafts are a great change of pace, and a good idea to pass the time until the actual draft, we could post a different “theme” mock draft! !
    We could do something like:
    TWEENERS
    CB UNDER 6-0
    ALL FLORIDA INSTITUTIONS
    ALL D1A AND LOWER DIVISIONS
    ALL ARIZONA INSTITUTIONS ( have to have this one in honor of our Arizona Cardinals)
    The themes are endless, more than enough to get us thru until the draft!!
    Any takers?

58. By brinnc on Mar 28, 2015 | Reply

Coach K
    Mannung YES!!
    Mannion, NO
    And Big Ken, even the so called old broken down Manning is better than probably 97% of all other NFL QB’s!

59. By brinnc on Mar 28, 2015 | Reply

Scott H
    Your AP question, it depends on what the Vikings ask for, nothing above a single 4th round pick! !
    Any 1st round is out of the question!! Yes, any pick has a chance to bust, but AP could just as easily come to the Cardinals and bust!! Granted, not likely, but still a possibility. But my biggest issue is most posters who want him think he is the answer and will bring the Lombardi Trophy to Arizona. So using that premise, if he comes to Arizona and we dont win the Superbowl we have to consider that a failure, and money wise an expensive failure to the tune of $8-10million a year failure. If we draft a RB to compliment Ellington (two points on that route…BA wants a downhill power back with speed to compliment Ellington, AP will compliment nobody, if he isnt option 1 & 1a then he is unhappy, and we all have seen the drama he and his agent can and will create if and when AP is unhappy. Plus Ellington and a Rookie top tier RB will put up far better combined numbers than AP could all by himself.) But like I was saying to me its all about the “cost of failure” if we dont win it all we fail to the tune of $8-10million (remember AP expects a min of $25million garaunteed money, but will not play for a penny less than $10million a season if you ask me, just look at some of his quotes, he thinks the Vikings should pay him more than the $12.5mil they owe him next season beecause he didnt take many hits last season, and didnt put a ton of mileage on his legs!! Nevermind why he didnt get hit a lot or why he didnt put any mileage on his legs!!) So bottom line, Cardinals either fail and lose $10mil or with the Rookie and Ellington fail and lose $2.5mil max!! I prefer to lose $2.5mil and that is maximum amount, probably not even that much, im not much up on the contracts of most players, but $2.5 combined contracts is in the ballpark. That also leads me to another point, quick figuring off the top of my head tells me that if we get AP that would put 7-8 players eating up over 60% of the Cardinals cap, that cant be a very good ratio

JTDG/ANY CAP GURU – Feel free to correct me if im way off base on the 7-8 players eating up over 60% of our salary cap! (That estimate is with AP on our roster)

60. By Scott H on Mar 28, 2015 | Reply

Coack K –

Did you clarify Big Ken’s question yet? Same question fro me….Manning as a rookie or Manning at 39 years old and with greatly diminished arm strength?

Was wondering where you are going with this….and if has anything to do with the swirling discussions about Adrian Peterson?

61. By Scott H on Mar 28, 2015 | Reply

brinnc –

Hey, that was a pretty short post by your standards….I feel cheated! Just kidding, bro, the quality is always there! Well, yeah, of course it will be a matter of what the Vikings might want. Being on the Cardinals side of this, I guess what I hope for is that AP truly digs in and flat refuses to ever play again for the Vikings. Period. End of story. Because at that point, it becomes an increasingly ugly situation for the Vikings and THAT makes the situation more of a buyer’s market ( = more advantageous for the Cardinals ).

The Vikings can say all they want that they’re not trading him. That’s probably what the Bengals were saying about Carson Palmer – before they traded him to Oakland. Things change when a player as valuable as AP is sitting home, doing nothing for you on the field, and the fans start getting peeved. At that point, the ONLY value he has to you ( the Vikings, in this case ) is what he can bring you in a trade.

So….again, the Vikings can say what they want NOW. Two months from now? They may suddenly have a change of heart.

62. By Coach K on Mar 28, 2015 | Reply

No mock withdrawals so far. LOL

63. By cards62 on Mar 29, 2015 | Reply

Our oline is finally being improved and if Carson is healthy we are only a few positions away with a very key position being running back especially with an improving oline. This makes Peterson for a second rounder or later round very interesting. Peterson is the only sure thing at running back and he is fresh and has something to prove, and when Peterson has something to prove he proves it. Argument on the other hand is our salary cap with Peterson verses rookie running backs. Signing the other Peterson, Patrick to such a huge contract definitely cost us the services of D. Dockett and a second stud CB. I don’t think we could have kept Cromartie with the money the Jets threw at him. I still think you win games with strong lines and a QB. If drafting running backs Coach K and JTDG I think we should draft two but none in the first two rounds. Coach Bruce A. said there are 15 good backs in this draft and it is the deepest he has seen in many years. Do not envy Steve K. on this one, but if he does trade for Peterson I wont be angry and predict 1,600 yard season from scrimmage for him and 500 plus for Ellington as long as Carson is at QB.

Darren please pass this one on to Steve K. FIrst free agent after draft to sign is OSU WR Evan Spencer – great blocker, great hands, and special teamer.

Go Cards and hey we do have basketball right now,

64. By brinnc on Mar 29, 2015 | Reply

D,
    I agree with in his your assesment, we are still thin at ILB, I have posted a few blogs on the need for an ILB in the draft, one of the main reasons I hope the Cardinals trade out of 1st round for extra picks in 2nd and 3rd (or 2nd and 4th) I dont want them to reach for an ILB in the first round, unfortunately ILB is very thin in the draft again this year, I really like Stephone Anthony/Clemson, but I fear he may be a reach at #24, though the more I read the more it is looking like McKinney/Miss St will be available as late as the 3rd round, not sure why he is slipping, but McKinney in the 3rd would be great value for Cardinals or any team lucky enough to pick him up in the 3rd! ! My fear with Anthony is he played behind an underrated DT, who is just now getting press, and seems to be moving up draft boards, most ILB’s will tell you (if they are honest) that a good D-Line makes their job easier and makes them look a lot better!! Without DD (even the hypocrite he is) our D-Line just isnt going to be as stout as it once was, and Anthony may struggle a bit (not to mention teams had to deal with a certain monster named Vic Beasley!) but with two picks in both the 2nd and 3rd Cards could go this route
    2a- OLB/EDGE RUSHER
    2b- RB
    3a ILB
    3b- CB
    The great thing I see is the Cardinals look to be in a rare position to have the option to start drafting BPA as early as the 4th round, regardless of position (other than QB, no wy they carry 4 QB’s, and Logan Thomas has to be given more than one season to develop, if they were to cut him loose now they would be making a huge mistake, he has unlimited athletic ability and has the potential to be our QB of the future and anchor at QB for 7-10 years!! Yes, im a huge Logan Thomas for QB supporter, believer, or whatever you choose to call it, I posted numerous posts last year prior to the draft that Cardinals should take a flyer on Thomas in round 5-7, round 4 was a little early in my amateur opinion, but BA and staff know better than me, andcThomas was climbing the boards so fast that he wouldnt have been there in the 5th!! All Thomas needs is a WR room that can catch more than just a cold!! Va Tech’s WR’s were horrible, and they have never had any WR’s worth speaking of, they have never had a WR that has had a 1000 yard season, NEVER! obviously the Cardinals have one of the best WR groups in the league!! And if they
    somehow get a chance to draft Hardy out of East Carolina it would
    shore up the KR/PR issue as well as provide A Great Set Of Hands,
    Kid Can Catch anything thrown in his area code. He is the NCAA all time leader in career catches, that is all divisions, and all previous greats, he reminds me of Fitz in his heyday!! Yes there is a little bias speaking, he went to HS down the road and was in the same conference as my son’s highschool, actually walked on at ECU because all his offers were D1a and lower, and all at QB, he knew he didnt want to be a QB and had a better chance at continuing his playing career as WR, promptly broke every freshman record at ECU, made all frshman team, all conference and of course got a scholarship!! Kid is a stud! And we are finally in a position to take some flyers and draft BPA regardless of position, which is just an awesome feeling as a lifelong fan, I might add!!! But I for one think our Cardinals need another ILB and if we can get either Anthony in 2nd or McKinney in 3rd, I would be thrilled!! I do think they will bring in at least one Undrafted Rookie Free Agent, and keep an eye on the waiver wire during training camp and preseason too.

Anyone have any insight concerning “Spoon” and his ability to cover TE’s?? Also by most accounts (remember guys I was without info for months in Afghanistan! ) Buchannon (sp) upgraded covering TE’s, or at least he didnt make it any worse as far as I can tell, anybody have any opinion one way or the other on Bucannon’s ability to cover TE’s? One thing is for sure, nobody can cover Graham, and now we have to face him 2x a year at a minimum, but there are 30 other teams that have the same issue with covering, or trying to cover Jimmy Graham!!

65. By Coach K on Mar 30, 2015 | Reply

brinnc

In my question above, I was making the comparison of Sean Mannion to a young Peyton Manning in terms of ability to read defenses and throwing the ball with perfect placement (accuracy).

I figured everyone would know where I was leading with that question.

I’ve stuck with Mannion since last year, as I did the previous year with Bortles.

When I see these QB’s on film, it’s real easy for me to project who will make it in the NFL. Mannion will be a steal in round three.

Potential busts: Mariotta and Petty who are spread system QB’s.

66. By Louisville Card on Mar 30, 2015 | Reply

Jasonc mentioned if the cards drafted Gregory the cards would have mentors for him. It’s a good idea, but the mentor has to like the guy he’s helping that’s why Mathieu worked so well. He was already good Friends with Peterson. In the case of Gregory or any other draftee do the players meet with the draft players when they come for a visit? It seems like the players would be good evaluators of someone that could have character issues…are they utilized at all?

67. By Darren Urban on Mar 30, 2015 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: Gregory

Potential draftees don’t meet with other players. Players are sometimes used to evaluate if they already know someone.

68. By Scott H on Mar 30, 2015 | Reply

Coach K –

Forgive me if you spoke to this elsewhere but my question becomes, which QB ( Stanton or Thomas ) are you cutting loose if you draft your QB of the future in this year’s draft? I’m assuming Carson Palmer is not going anywhere and the Cardinals are not going to keep 4 QB on the roster. So,….if a new kid comes on board with the future in mind, then who is out the door?

BTW, I would NOT mind them drafting a QB this year – as long as it is Logan Thomas who gets cut loose. I just do not see this kid making it.

But I would be surprised to see them take a QB. We are rock solid with Palmer and Stanton ( then again, we DO have to play the Rams 2X this year, so….maybe not ! ) and the team seems very committed to Logan Thomas. RB is the top priority with other needs right behind that.

69. By Scott H on Mar 30, 2015 | Reply

Continuing my previous post –

Now, if we trade for Adrian Peterson and nail down the RB position THAT way….then the door is open to draft a QB!

70. By brinnc on Mar 30, 2015 | Reply

JTDG
    I think they were answering your question on Gregory, thunbs ↓ means No they wouldnt draft him at #24n may be wrong but that seems to be logical. Either that, or you pissed alot of people off somehow, someway! LOL!

JasonC
    I wouldnt touch Geregory at #24 even if someone had a gun to my head!!
    Honey badger is a different case, as you pointed out, he was a 3rd round pick, and they loaded his contract protecting the Cardinals in case of relapse. And, TM even suggested he would accept a contract with team protections built in.
    Gregory on the other hand would be garaunteed money since he would be a 1st round pick, I dont think Gregory would accept built in protections for the Cardinals. One last point, TM acknowledged that he made mistakes and realized that drugs almost took his football career away. Gregory on the other hand almost comes across as proud to be a druggie, stated numerous times how much he enjoyed smoking it, and he is either:
    A.) Lying about when the last time he smoked a doobie,
    or
    B.) He was a very heavy smoker, like multiple times a day, everyday!
    or
    C.) He is good friends with a chemistry student or professor, who has some wicked mean weed!!
    To pop positive almost 3 months after your last toke, one of the three scenarios above has to apply.
    THC usually takes no more than a month to leave your system, and with Gregory being an athlete he has a high metabolism, should have a high intake of fluids, like water/Gatorade which speeds up the removal, also, THC usually takes up residence in fat cells, and Im quite confident that Gregory’s body fat % is quite low, if he has more than 6% BF I would be shocked!!

So in my humble opinion, any one of the reasons/excuses above is enough for me to say No Thank You Mr Gregory!!
    Also, I may be wrong about this, but he will be coming in with 1 strike, so if he smokes again (or someone holds him down and blows large amounts of the devils lettuce via mouth to mouth!! LOL) he will be suspended for 1 year, and if someone feels sorry for him and wants to cheer him up, and they decide to make him a huge pan of Pot Brownies while he is suspended, and he pees dirty a second time, thats all she wrote, lifetime suspension!! Dont want the Cardinals to take that chance, he isnt that talented to where we couldnt find some other OLB/EDGE RUSHER that is on the same level as Gregory!! Im mean the odds are 50/50, either he will smoke again, or he won’t, and in Gregory’s case, and from what he said about it, I would want more than a50% chance of him NOT partaking in the devils lettuce!!

71. By Scott H on Mar 31, 2015 | Reply

Coach K –

Not that you were responding to me, anyway but perhaps we know more now about what the team is thinking in terms of QB – since they just signed this Chandler Harrish to ( I guess ) be another camp arm.

BTW, this Harrish kid was Mr Irrelevant in the 2012 draft. Boy, that really inspires a lot of confidence, huh?

72. By Scott H on Mar 31, 2015 | Reply

Darren – this water went under the bridge a long time ago at this point but I have remained curious about it, so….what the heck – if the Cardinals had made it any further in the playoffs than they did, might we have actually seen Drew Stanton play again? Seemed there were hints he might have been able to play again as early as the Week 16 game against Seattle. But we never saw him again and I HAVE to think they would have certainly used him in the playoffs if he were physically capable. Just wondering where he really was and if there were ANY chance we might have seen him again if the Cardinals had lasted any longer.

And where is Drew Stanton at right now? Ready to roll?

73. By Darren Urban on Mar 31, 2015 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Stanton

I don’t know if Drew would have been able to play, but we’ll never really know.

He should be OK for the offseason, from what Arians has said.

2. Mar 29, 2015: NFL Free Agency's Best Available Running Backs - Football Garbage Time
  3. Apr 5, 2015: Updated Ranked Running Backs in NFL Free Agency - Football Garbage Time