Arians “won’t shy away” from big goals

Posted by Darren Urban on March 31, 2015 – 4:29 pm

Bruce Arians has never been shy about bold proclamations about his team, like after winning the Coach of the Year award before the Super Bowl saying that he planned on his players dressing in the locker rooms of the 49ers’ stadium at the same time the following year — when Super Bowl 50 is played.

Last week at the NFL spring meetings, someone pointed out that Rex Ryan often had the same kind of talk when leading the Jets, until Ryan apparently got to the point where he felt like he was putting an unnecessary target on his team. Arians was asked if he had considered those ramifications.

“No, because we talk about it in the first meeting and then we don’t talk about it anymore,” Arians said. “That’s the goal every year. Last year (the Super Bowl) just happened to be in our stadium. It was easy to look a guy in the eye and say, ‘Who’s dressing in your locker?’ We don’t have that so I have to come up with a new line this year.

“The goal is to win the Super Bowl. We won’t shy away. We talk about it the first day and then we talk about the process, every day the process.”

BAgoalsuse

Tags: ,

22 Responses to “Arians “won’t shy away” from big goals”

1. By Dynosoar on Mar 31, 2015 | Reply

I’m in good company.

The Lombardi trophy or nothing at all!

Every year it’s the same goal, every year. And even if we start rocky, there have been plenty of teams that peaked towards the middle, end of the season and won it all.

One game at a time for 19 games and a ring for this team, that’s why I’m a fan.

2. By Dr. G. on Mar 31, 2015 | Reply

Any team needs to have the eternal optimist as its leader; he must prepare and organize to set an example and the work ethic to convince his players that his goals are within reason. This leader must hate losing more than he likes winning. BA can claim those things.

Now, I don’t see any asterisks on the last 2 seasons’ records indicating that the Defense carried the team! The record is BA’s to claim regardless how it was posted. He did hire the DC incidentally; he deserves credit for that.

Many are looking forward to some differences in how the Offense is called and who will be the key players this year. BA has admitted that he has learned some things as well as how better to use some key players. I hope he follows through and considers being the HC for the entire team instead of being the OC and pretty much letting the DC run on auto pilot.

We won games despite injuries, questionable calls, and an anemic run game. BA is learning and will get better with 2 seasons under his belt. Looking forward to some serious butt kicking this year against out division. I want to beat Seattle 2 times…. We shall see how things develop… My best Cards Fans….

3. By azdesertrat1953 on Mar 31, 2015 | Reply

And that is why he is the Best NFL Head Coach, of the 2014 season.

GO CARDS!!!

4. By Dynosoar on Mar 31, 2015 | Reply

Rex Ryan and Bruce Arians both have one goal every year and speak their mind. The difference, BA has Steve Keim!

5. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 31, 2015 | Reply

Why wouldn’t you feel you are winning the super bowl with Adrian Peterson on this team?

Don’t believe it, Cards just cleared more cap space. 4 million more. Why? Hmm.

April 15th, Peterson finds out if he is reinstated. If his ban is lifted, the cards deal their 2nd round pick for AP.

6. By Darren Urban on Apr 1, 2015 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Cap space

It’s possible the cap space “cleared” had something to do with the NFLPA adjusting for the still-suspended Daryl Washington. And if he returned, that would eat the cap space back up. I’m not sure.

7. By Coach K on Mar 31, 2015 | Reply

WHEN B.A. TALKS, IT REMINDS ME OF YUL BRYNNER IN THE TEN COMMANDMENTS FILM. “So it is written, so it shall be done!”

I believe B.A. believes every word he says and most important, the players buy in.

8. By Chris on Apr 1, 2015 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Off-Topic:

I would love to get some coverage on year 2 guys, as it is such an important offseason for those guys.

Whats the difference to college off-season, like “whats the most valuable part of pro-offseason” (working out with strength coaches, getting time to let the playbook settle in, just experience of NFL action on field?).

Especially an update on those other rehabing guys (Niklas, Elllington, Stinson) would be nice.

And in particular on Kareem Martin as he is supposed to really put on some extra-muscles. Who is his role model on team? has he a go-to guy?

Thx

9. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Apr 1, 2015 | Reply

BA is no Rex Ryan and no Buddy Ryan. He is fearless, candid but not boastful. Many take shots at him, let them is BA’s attitude. I was just pleasantly surprised young Bidwill had the foresight to hire him. No one has won 21 in 2 years in these parts, and the end of that kind of performance does not appear in sight…

Go Cards.

10. By clssylssy on Apr 1, 2015 | Reply

I love setting goals,but, every team in the NFL has an ultimate goal–to win the Superbowl. That is understood and after awhile, I think it becomes counterproductive to belabor the point and talk about it constantly as if it is going to happen automatically because of sheer desire. More importantly to constantly talking about it, is the setting of measurable objectives (goals whose accomplishment will lead to the ultimate goal) with time frames even. Such things as: 1.Win one game at a time (weekly) 2. Go undefeated at home (12/30/15), 3. Win Division Championship (12/30/150, 4. Win Conference Championship (1/16), 5.Improve W/L record from last season.(1/16) 6. Improve road wins by at least 50% (1/16), 7. Have every player set individual goals on a monthly basis to improve his skillset, productivity,development as a player etc., thereby maintaining, increasing their market value (which can pay off when it comes to getting compensatory draft picks should a player get traded).
    I prefer action over lip service; we all know what the ultimate goal here is and being able to check off the “minor” victories of achieving the objectives to get us there often will be more valuable in the long run than a lot of bluster…”Silent but deadly” rather than “Superbowl or nothing”.

11. By Parker on Apr 1, 2015 | Reply

Every team goal in the NFL is to WIN the Super Bowl. Just like it is for every hamburger chain to say “Over a Billion Sold” . so what if Rex boasted about winning and Never Won, and the same with Coach Arians…

12. By Dr. G. on Apr 1, 2015 | Reply

JTDG- – Yep, 4/15 could indeed be a key date. I might consider a 1st rounder for Peterson…only if he would re-do his contract. Keim may be looking at a RB in the 1st…this would take care of that pick. And if he wants a LB, none will be there until probably the 2nd. If he could get a deal for a 2nd round pick, as you wish, that would be great. If a SB is at stake, either pick is a done deal.

I am not convinced that the Vikings will deal AP, but they certainly know that he will not have his heart in the game for them…simple human nature!

If it doesn’t happen, we pick the best player for our team…I eagerly await…

As for Darren’s commentary, I may seek contract revisions for DWash…to ease his cap…

From my earlier post praising BA, he and Keim have my blessing to decoy those who “”try to”” discern their intentions…be well

13. By Scott H on Apr 1, 2015 | Reply

JTDG –

Man, your thoughts went to the same exact place my thoughts went to! Don’t want to shy away from big goals? Then, you need to make the big moves that are going to get you there. For me? Right now? That means making a move like bringing the best RB of the last decade – while he is still capable of being just that – here to play for the Cardinals. THAT puts you where you need to be to achieve the big goals.

14. By Scott H on Apr 1, 2015 | Reply

Dynosaur –

Oh, come on, now….the only difference between Rex Ryan and BA is Steve Keim? How ’bout the fact that Rex Ryan is pretty much a jack ass ( NOT as bad as his father, though! ) and BA is not? THAT is what truly sets these two men apart! You with me on that?

PS – shy of that, I agree that having Steve Keim is a wonderful thing. One thing we CAN say to any other team in the NFL is that our GM can beat up yours!

15. By Scott H on Apr 1, 2015 | Reply

Not related to this, but I wonder if anyone else feels the same way about another topic as I do. I am thinking about this “tutoring” that Kurt Warner is doing with Kaepernick and I find myself just chuckling and shaking my head. Because I don’t see where it is really going to change anything about Kaepernick, not as a person or as a player. Eventually, Kaepernick has to be on the field without Warner telling him what to do. Then what? He can’t suddenly learn to THINK like Kurt did or read defenses like Kurt did or beat blitzes like Kurt did. Nor can he learn to have the deadly accuracy that Kurt did when he was really ON.

Kurt Warner had the innate greatness that I think any great QB has and that is NOT something you can teach. Quite simply, I think you either have it or you don’t. And there is a personality component there that I see in Warner….and Tom Brady….and Peyton Manning…..and Drew Brees…..and Aaron Rodgers….etc. I do NOT see it in Colin Kaepernick. Sorry, I just don’t. And Kurt can’t teach him that.

I think if that innate greatness COULD be taught, you would see every great QB still alive getting rich from opening their own Great QB School and making How To Be A Great NFL QB instructional videos. But you don’t see ANY of them doing this. Warner is the only one you see even trying to tutor someone.

Again, you just can’t teach QB greatness. That is what makes the great ones so special.

16. By brinnc on Apr 1, 2015 | Reply

Coach K
    Did you see the Cardinals signed a QB to a One yr deal, came out of Northern Illinois a couple years ago and was drafted by the Colts so he is familiar with BA’s system. C. Harnish (sp?)
    This may be BA’s way of letting you down softly since it doesnt look like Cardinals will be drafting a QB, at least not as high as your mock drafts had Mannion. LOL!! You know that if Mannion is drafted by another team and comes in and tears up the league, I will have to eat a large platter of crow on here, right before I jump off a tall building!! (Problem is, I have to drive 6 hours to Charlotte to find a tall enough building!! LOL!
    Seriously though, I guess they could still draft a QB, but now with 4 on the roster I just dont see them wasting a pick on a QB unless it is rounds 5-7b when they are picking BPA. But even then, I just dont see the Cardinals taking a QB at all this year, especially since BA has worked with this kid in the past.

17. By MR. KNOW IT ALL on Apr 1, 2015 | Reply

Cardinals sign QB JEFF MATHEWS to practice squad?

Darren Urban is Jeff still with the Cardinals?

18. By Darren Urban on Apr 2, 2015 | Reply

Mr. Know —

RE: Mathews

19. By clssylssy on Apr 2, 2015 | Reply

brnnc…this is the time of year that the team is going to sign a lot of “camp bodies” and the fact that we signed the fellow who spent time with the Colts, means little to nothing except that we will have enough QB camp bodies so that Carson and Drew can ease back into things gently and Logan and whoever else will be available to fill the position while getting in some reps. I do think this was a good signing as he is familiar with BA (system was probably entirely different) and it never hurts to have insurance as we found out last season.
    I, for one, am not feeling REAL confident at the health situation of our QB corp despite BA swearing on a stack about what great shape Carson and Drew are in (what else would he say?). JTDG (or Coach K) have also been skeptical about BA’s ability to turn a tightend into a franchise QB given all the limitations imposed by the CBA and the organization’s reluctance to encourage the use of outside tutoring such as Kaepernick has sought from K. Warner at EXOS.
    One of our biggest deficiencies has been the development of talent, which I find inexcusable since other teams don’t seem to find it that difficult. I find it admirable that Colin Kaepernick cares enough about his craft to hire Warner and put in the work to make an effort rather than blaming everyone else for his deficiencies. Greatness comes with time, experience and putting in the hours of hard work, learning from the Masters; Kurt Warner wasn’t always “great”, was even “booed” by Cards fans at one time!

20. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 2, 2015 | Reply

clssylssy,

What better way to protect Palmer early, then to have a top notch back behind him.

If Palmer is not 100% for the first month, it just makes too much sense to have AP behind him to hand the ball off to. Then , go play action.

Too bad the cowboys are clearing cap space also. We both have the same amount of cap space roughly.

Also your comment,
    “Greatness comes with time, experience and putting in the hours of hard work,”

I totally agree. As long as you show some type of talent and progression. QBs come in with the ability to play and time and hard work fine tunes them into someone great. But when you see one who can’t play, no amount of time will make them great. Maybe, and that’s a big maybe, they could learn enough to be a back up and have a successful career (ala Josh McCown). That, imo, is the best we could hope for from Logan Thomas.

21. By clssylssy on Apr 2, 2015 | Reply

JTDG
    I totally agree with you on both points and have to suspect there is another position BA has in mind for Thomas. I’m all in on the AP controversy with a resounding “thumbs up” but feel that belaboring the point can bring backlash too, since many of our fans are somewhat rigid. Unfortunately, the Cowboys are flush with cap space and are willing to sell Southfork to get a ticket into the Big Dance.
    After last season, I would never underestimate the value of a quality backup like Drew Stanton or Kurt Cousins and I think they will become more valuable as many teams only carry two QBs on their roster and often they are completely invisible.

22. By Coach K on Apr 2, 2015 | Reply

brinnc

Keim is signing camp bodies to use in pre-season practice. They will all be gone before you know it. I’ll be waiting for the name Sean Mannion to be called then mark my calender as the day the Cardinals took the next step to a decade of multiple Superbowls under Manning…whoops, I mean Mannion. Sorry, I get them both confused easily.