Washington to apply for reinstatement

Posted by Darren Urban on April 10, 2015 – 4:12 pm

There have been a lot of questions about the status of suspended linebacker Daryl Washington, and nothing can happen until he is reinstated. His agent told Kent Somers that request to the NFL is coming “in the next week or so,” which will start the clock on the NFL considering Washington’s future. That’s a small part of Kent’s comprehensive breakdown of what is facing Washington and the Cardinals next. It’s a good read.

Whenever Washington is reinstated, his contract picks up where it was essentially frozen last May when he was suspended — meaning in terms of his salary, he will play 2015 like it was 2014, and so on along this contract. Washington did just get paid the $5 million he was owed on his deferred bonus money from pre-suspension. And again, when and if Washington is reinstated, he still doesn’t know if there will be NFL punishment handed down for his assault conviction last year.

Daryl Washington

Tags:

26 Responses to “Washington to apply for reinstatement”

1. By Marlin on Apr 10, 2015 | Reply

If he gets reinstated, how much will our cap space be after considering his salary and pro-rated bonus?

2. By Darren Urban on Apr 11, 2015 | Reply

Marlin —

RE: Washington

Not sure. I’m not 100 percent sure it already isn’t being taken into account.

3. By georgiebird on Apr 10, 2015 | Reply

Since the Cards have little in the way of top-flite talent at linebacker, fans salivate at the prospect of DWash’s return. Otherwise, DWash would be history.

4. By krehbieo14 on Apr 10, 2015 | Reply

Daryl Washington’s off-field antics are tragic. So much talent but a cloud hanging over the Cards and DW. He ripped off the Cards for bonus money before he was given his year long suspension. The Cards were unable to communicate with DW during his leave, nor did they want to. The Cards have reason to mistrust DW’s behavior during his time away from the team regardless of what he claims. They will wait patiently to see whether he will be reinstated or if his assault charge will further impact playing time. I am sure BA and SK are fed up with him and are waiting to see what the NFL’s findings are before considering if they will decide to keep him. I hope things work out for both parties. Washington is a great player who will help them immensely with his speed and coverage skills.

5. By Andy Kw on Apr 10, 2015 | Reply

This 1yr ban that he served is already enough. He stayed out of trouble, attended every test on time and passed 100%. He looked for help, sought advice from his teammates and is doing everything he can to get back on the field permanently. This guy is turning his life around so another suspension won’t be necessary. He is a changed man and I believe it without a doubt. We support you Daryl Washington.

6. By Coach K on Apr 10, 2015 | Reply

I wish the Cardinals would get some kind of decision before the draft. This silver spoon commissioner we have is such a lame duck. She is the most disliked, untrustworthy, anti-player NFL commissioner ever.

7. By Eric G on Apr 11, 2015 | Reply

Welp, the Cards aren’t an NFL darling big market team, so I expect minimum 8 game suspension from that punk Goodell. If he were on the Packers, Patriots, Steelers, Giants etc. he’d get no more than 2 games.

8. By Red c rider on Apr 11, 2015 | Reply

From what I read about his efforts, I believe DWash has worked hard to earn another chance from us. I’ve heard a couple sports radio blowhards already condemn Mr. Washington to enternal NFL damnation. What I say to them and to any fellow Red C fans with similar intolerance is, “let he who is without sin cast the first stone.”

See You All in Santa Clara Feb, 2016.

9. By J.A.G. on Apr 11, 2015 | Reply

Hi Darren,

why you do not know any news about Daryl Washington and his reinstatement? Are you allowed (by the NFL, by the organization?) to talk to him personally?

10. By Darren Urban on Apr 11, 2015 | Reply

J.A.G. —

RE: Washington

The only reporter who has talked to Daryl as far as I know is Mike Jurecki. I have not talked to him, nor has Kent.

11. By Birdman on Apr 11, 2015 | Reply

Look at the pic above and you know why D-WASH is the second most important player (next to Palmer) on the roster!

12. By Big Ken on Apr 11, 2015 | Reply

What a mess, but the team has paid so much, lets get some production out of him.

13. By CreditCard on Apr 12, 2015 | Reply

Its’ all about money. I’m not about to say what Darrell Washington did was right or even faintly justified. Think about Ray Lewis and being connected with a murder scene, his other violent acts, and fathering a dozen + children; and his void of punishment in light of Washington’s punishment.

The only thing consistent about the commissioner’s office is that it is completely inconsistent. Therefore, who knows how the commissioner may act regarding DW — it can be anything from no more punishment to being expelled from the NFL for life. The only thing you can be assured of, the commissioner’s decision will cause considerable public confusion.

14. By TucsonTim on Apr 12, 2015 | Reply

I trust that Keim would not have paid this moron a dime if he didn’t think he could come back and contribute in a big way, BUT this is a huge bet. How many fans are going to care for a guy who gets paid 5 MIL to smoke dope and sit home all day playing video games…don’t even want to bring up the baby mamma with a broken collar bone. Yeah, this is a BIG mess. Actually, the only good way for this to end is a trade. This guy is radio active.

15. By Scott H on Apr 13, 2015 | Reply

Purely in terms of football ( I have said all I have to say about the other aspects of this ), is it me or does it seem like it has taken longer for Washington to reach this point than so many other players who got in trouble at about the same time or even AFTER Washington did??? Sure seems that way to me….

16. By Richard L on Apr 13, 2015 | Reply

Washington is damaged goods. The organization needs to treat him like Dwyer and move on. You can’t help the organization if your only on the field for 6 games in 2 years.

17. By Eric G on Apr 13, 2015 | Reply

Will the NFL punish him based on the guidelines in place at the time the incident occurred? I have to imagine that they cannot punish him based on the new Ray Rice guidelines.

18. By Darren Urban on Apr 13, 2015 | Reply

Eric G —

RE: Punishment

I have no idea. Not sure the NFL does right now either.

19. By Scott H on Apr 13, 2015 | Reply

Richard –

You didn’t say much but you said a lot! I don’t really think Washington is “damaged goods.” I mean, he’s not coming back from a horrific injury where he was broken in half or something. He should be treated like Dwyer??? I gotta dis-agree with ya there because Daryl Washington and Jonathan Dwyer are NOT on the same level as players. And that matters here. Maybe some people think it shouldn’t but….when a player has the physical skills and capability of being one of THE most dominant defensive players in the NFL ( which D-Wash DOES ), that makes his situation different than it would be for an average run-of-the-mill RB like Dwyer.

THAT is why the Cardinals can’t just put them in the same basket and treat them the same. Dwyer’s are a dime a dozen. Washington’s are rare.

But I hear ya about your other point, loud and clear. What good is all the talent and ability in the world if it isn’t on the field? Trouble is, we just don’t know what happens with Washington now. Therefore….

….I continue to find fault with the current protocols the NFL has in place for this. It is far too cumbersome and delayed and drawn out. I mean, look at the course this has taken with Washington. He is suspended for the season in 2014. and, or course, this ruling comes down AFTER free agency and AFTER Karlos Dansby has left town. ( NO WAY the Cardinals let him leave if they know they are gonna be without Washington AND probably Abraham ) Now, a whole year later, he has to apply for re-instatement. Then, we wait for a ruling on that. THEN, the NFL can still decide to sanction him further. I mean…..c’mon, man, when do we get to the end of this thing????

Again, a very tricky situation for the NFL. They know they HAVE TO do something to punish the players. BUT these players are still part of what makes the NFL great, so….it ain’t in your best interests to have them off the field for this long. This process can and should be streamlined. Let the legal system do what it needs to do. If a player clears that hurdle, give them whatever suspension you feel is warranted. Then, be done with it. Let them serve their suspension, and let them back on the field. Forget this business of applying for re-instatement AND possible additional sanctions. At that point, it seems like overkill.

And, or course, let them back on the field with the conditions that repeat offenses can / probably should get them banned from the league. That would be a shame but once that happens to a few players….the rest of them might get the message.

Maybe. One would HOPE they would.

20. By krehbieo14 on Apr 14, 2015 | Reply

Richard-
    So, the league and the Cards should treat an elite player differently than others regarding their off-field issues? Am I hearing you right? So an elite player can violate the banned substances rule endlessly, pick up a bonus while hiding his abusive, self-medicating behavior, and assault and hurt the mother of his daughter without being considered “damaged goods”. However, “other” players should be held to a higher standard?

21. By krehbieo14 on Apr 14, 2015 | Reply

My apologies! Comment above for Scott H.

22. By Scott H on Apr 15, 2015 | Reply

krehbieo14 –

No, I don’t think the league or the Cardinals SHOULD treat any one player any differently than another. But I DO believe there WOULD be a different level of consideration from the Cardinals for a player who is a stud than there would be for player who is not. Do you think that doesn’t happen, not only here but with other teams as well? I think it does. If you disagree, fine.

As far as the LEAGUE is concerned, no, I don’t expect them to consider a player’s ability at all. They can’t operate that way. My problem with the league is that I believe their current system is cumbersome and too drawn out. Again, if you disagree, fine.

I was responding to a comment made that the organization should treat Washington like Dwyer and move on. And I think in the real world, people DO get different levels of consideration based on certain factors. Do you disagree with that???

Right or wrong, the world is not a fair and just place place where everything is done as it should be. That is not my doing, that is just the way I see it. And there is evidence all around us every day – in ALL facets of life – that the way I see it is hardly ridiculous.

No individual anywhere should get un-fair consideration or privelege based on their looks, abilities, their name, who they know, etc. But don’t call me on the carpet because that DOES happen all the time / everywhere in the world as we know it.

23. By sbrown on Apr 15, 2015 | Reply

with the Team paying D. Wash his deferred 5 million bonus , last week, It looks like they are somewhat planning on having D. Wash back some time this season. I don’t think they could either trade or cut him as his contract – cap hit would push the Cards over their remaining cap space.

D. Wash has been in the NFL substance program the entire time he has been suspended, so it is not like he has been on the weed all this time. With him at “strike 2 ” level, one more failed test , he is gone for good.

If and when reinstated, hopefully it will not be too long for D. Wash to get back to football ready condition, you can only do so much on your own in the training to play, without real football practice and game speed play.

2. Apr 28, 2015: Cardinals Blogs | Cards’ 24th pick could go a million different ways
  3. May 8, 2015: Cardinals Blogs | An inside linebacker visits