Moving into the new weight room

Posted by Darren Urban on April 13, 2015 – 2:22 pm

The players will be returning a week from today to begin the strength and conditioning program. While it is voluntary, I’m sure it will be well attended as guys stream back for the offseason. The workouts start Monday, with Phase 2 — which allows players to get back on the field with a ball — May 4 and then Phase 3 — which is OTAs and minicamp — beginning May 19.

And it looks like the work will take place in the team’s new weight room, too.

As the construction upgrades on the team’s Tempe facility begin to wind toward completion, workers began moving the weight equipment from the practice bubble — where it has been since right after the Super Bowl — into the team’s new and much more spacious weight room. Strength and conditioning coaches Buddy Morris, Roger Kingdom and Anthony Piroli were down there today (pictured below) discussing the new layout while that part of the rehab is finishing up. It all should be in place when work starts Monday. The new locker rooms remain  work-in-progress, so players will continue to use their temporary lockers in the bubble for now.

MoveRoomPicuse

Tags: , , ,

29 Responses to “Moving into the new weight room”

1. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 13, 2015 | Reply

Randy Gregory is visiting the Cardinals. Does Gregory fall that far?

One of the most interesting draft picks. A freak athletically, who produced at Nebraska. But then 235 pounds, he looks more like a big Wr. Then there is the issue of his drug abuse.

So, maybe the most talented OLB could be an all pro or Bartavious Mingo with a drug problem. Huge Risk and Reward.

I just do not believe I would take a chance on both the person and the player.

2. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 13, 2015 | Reply

I red somewhere Kurt Warner is the OC at a HS in Scottsdale. Did I see that wrong or is this true?

3. By Darren Urban on Apr 13, 2015 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Warner

Yes, Warner is going to be the OC at Scottsdale Desert Mountain HS. His son plays football there (a WR) and is a junior.

4. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Apr 13, 2015 | Reply

Proud of all the broad based improvements the Cards are making, taking care of both fans and players, not to mention the Catholic charity work. Cards are now a leader in these things. Well done Mssrs. Bidwill, Go Cards.

5. By Chuck 1 on Apr 13, 2015 | Reply

When you ran my request/suggestion (for a “competition” to see who could guess the Cards draft POSITION picks in order) “up the flagpole”, did you receive a Thumbs up or Thumbs Down?
    Maybe the winner could receive autographs from Steve and Bruce?

6. By Darren Urban on Apr 13, 2015 | Reply

Chuck 1 —

RE: Competition

Never quite got that hammered out. There have been other things that have been higher on the priority list.

7. By Andy Kw on Apr 13, 2015 | Reply

I was really disappointed when Anthony Sherman left and I still am. Bruce Arians has to realize that Fullbacks play an important role in the pass and run game. Other than this, I love what he has done. Cardinals will bring the heat to Seattle and the rest of the NFC West.

-Now we start bringing up the idea of Robert Hughes being a fullback but he really isn’t.

8. By Dr. G. on Apr 13, 2015 | Reply

Darren – – It is my understanding that DWash “must” apply for reinstatement or nothing will happen. Correct?

And, I heard that the Commish’s office will only publish “results” of an action, not the requests or the process. Correct?

Do You know, in fact, if he did have a meeting to reapply?

A medical is probably necessary prior to application….? Thanks

9. By Darren Urban on Apr 14, 2015 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Washington

I do not know if he has officially applied yet. The NFL could take until the end of May to make a decision. He does have to apply; his suspension is indefinite (at least a year.) And yes, I’d guess we will hear something official only when he is reinstated.

10. By Chuck 1 on Apr 13, 2015 | Reply

Do you think that you’ll be able to do it?
    I think that it would provide some interesting banter and results.

Based on the Thumbs Down that I received, it appears that some fans don’t want to expose themselves. 🙂

11. By clssylssy on Apr 14, 2015 | Reply

Since there seems to be a enormous void in “news” at this time of the year, I was wondering if you had any sense of what was going to happen with Michael Floyd as the team will need to make a decision on whether to pick up his fifth year option pretty soon (most other teams have already made some decision with their 2012 1st rounders) and what the feeling is amongst the fan base. I believe the franchise (or maybe it was more Arians/Keim) had planned for him to move into Fitz’s role but with Larry’s new contract that seems less likely for the near future. Still, while he doesn’t have Fitz’s ball skills, he does give the Cardinals a big and physical #2 to assist the offense, making up for the smaller and more fragile John Brown who plays a different role, and I believe would be well worth the $7M pricetag. The Cards do not develop talent at all and last season Floyd, Brown and others who were so highly hyped, dropped as many balls as they caught, so I don’t expect him ever to be Larry Fitz but still he is becoming a solid weapon on the field as well as a knowledgeable vet in the Arians system; I blame the coaching for not emphasizing the basics more.
    One of the things I find difficult as a fan, is the constant churning of the roster to save a few dollars against the cap, cutting good talent that is just coming into finding their nitch, starting to make an impact, only to sign FAs who are in the twilight of their careers and still need to learn the playbook and fit into the team chemistry, We have seen this with Boldin and so many others, who have to leave to get a ring or find any measure of success, while the team has to start over!
    Although WR is not a place where we really are in need, I know it is a forgone conclusion that we most certainly will take one given Arians comments about wanting a TE and being an offensive minded guy. I personally would rather see us use our picks to fortify our defense and 0-line and just put in some effort at developing the talent we currently have at WR,TE. I’m really hoping Steve Keim will make his bones this draft, trade up to get us the heavy hitter, pass rusher, CB,RB, Linemen we really need and forget the glitzy aerial game, as seductive as it is. Wondering what other fans are thinking about Floyd’s importance to the team and picking up his option for a fifth year?

12. By carlo milano on Apr 14, 2015 | Reply

darren did u have a chance to test the new weight room and working out there?

13. By Darren Urban on Apr 14, 2015 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: Weights

Not sure it’s fully been moved quite yet.

14. By carlo milano on Apr 14, 2015 | Reply

darren second question ina orw,fiorgive me
    i read on twitter hundley is there today for visit.
    what does it mean,creating a buzz cause its just a draft strategy?

15. By Darren Urban on Apr 14, 2015 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: Hundley

Honestly, it could mean nothing. It’s just a visit — not a workout — to get to know a kid. It could be for the draft or intel down the road if he ever became a free agent.

16. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Apr 14, 2015 | Reply

When someone writes things patently untrue, it just makes us tune her out:
    ” last season Floyd, Brown and others who were so highly hyped, dropped as many balls as they caught”…c’mon…

17. By Scott H on Apr 14, 2015 | Reply

Wow…imagine how much Kurt Warner’s WR son could learn from him!

18. By Scott H on Apr 14, 2015 | Reply

clssylssy –

I hear ya. The extent to which Floyd seemed to drop off last year still bothers me, especially after the way he exploded during the second half of 2013. But it wasn’t like Floyd isn’t capable of continuing that upward trajectory. He clearly is.

And clearly, last year’s QB situation was a factor.

But….honestly, if Floyd HAD picked up right up where he left off at the end of 2013 and blown the roof off last year? I wonder if Fitz is wearing a different uniform right now.

I thought Fitz and Floyd would be a dynamic duo who would give other teams fits ( ala Fitz and Q back in the day ) but….even when Palmer WAS playing, it just never really got there. It seemed like there was clearly an intention to not have any individual player be THE “go-to” guy and I think they went too far with that. I mean….when you’re trailing the Chargers 17-6 late in the game and Larry Fitzgerald hasn’t even seen the ball yet???? Gee, anyone wonder why the offense was so flat and why we only had 6 lousy points on the board???

Maybe in 2015? I’ll take better late then never! Go back to letting your play-makers make plays. Ain’t NOTHING wrong with that!

19. By clssylssy on Apr 14, 2015 | Reply

Scott…Exactly! I do believe that none of our receivers got an opportunity to really shine because of the QB situation, and after all, receivers ARE in a dependent position. Their stats are going to suffer if they are not targeted! It would seem to me that Floyd and Fitz COULD BE a real dynamic duo but have not been utilized optimally.
    Apparently we have some “literal Lucys” in our crowd, and I am the only one who remembers our issues with dropped balls, broken tackles, missed tackles/no tackles…my point being, we would be much more of a threatening opponent if our already talented players continued to work on perfecting the basics. The different receivers have different skill sets but none are as consistent and dependable as Fitz (which we saw when he was out).
    If Floyd had picked up where he had left off at the end of 2013, you are probably correct and Fitz might be playing in another uniform (not so sure Mr. B would support that though), I just hope we don’t have another Boldin-like opportunity for a dual threat tandum when it seems that Michael Floyd is beginning to hit his stride:)

20. By D on Apr 14, 2015 | Reply

Nice Job Darren on your part of saving Tillman’s locker. If you had not had a photo of the lockers in your “Renovation” story earlier in the year, John O may not have been able to save it.

No one should forget what Pat did. I’ll never forget a few years after his death when S. Rice was trashing Pat on Jim Rome’s show, which is why Mr. Rice probably doesn’t have too many fans around the Valley. Pat was the classic Over-achiever.

21. By Coach K on Apr 14, 2015 | Reply

Scott H

That’s why the QB situation needs to be addressed in this draft. The problem is, the Cards have so many other needs they will probably make the mistake of not taking a QB in round two and by the time the third round begins, the next level guys like Petty, Hundley and Mannion will all be gone. The one that would hurt the most is passing on the next Peyton Manning and not taking Sean Mannion. Daniel Jeremiah tweeted me that he has Mannion as his #4 QB prospect.

I would do back flips if Mannion was sitting on the board at pick #86 and Keim pulled the trigger on the next Peyton Manning. That would make my day and insure a decade of Cardinals in the playoffs.

22. By Scott H on Apr 15, 2015 | Reply

JTDG –

It’s April 15th, bro. Are your spidey-senses tingling in regard to anything happening with AP? Isn’t the NFL supposed to rule on his request for re-instatement today?

I can only hope you are old enough to get the reference to “spidey senses.” Did you watch Spider Man back in the day?

23. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 15, 2015 | Reply

Scott H

Spidey senses:

Unfortunately, I am old enough to know what you are saying.

Once he is reinstated, or if he is, the Vikings will have to decide what to do. Remember, the Bengals let Palmer retire instead of trading him until they got an offer they could not refuse from the raiders.

What I feel will happen is this. The Vikings will try again to see if AP and the owners can repair things. Then, they will sit back and wait to see if they get a great offer. They will most likely take it right up to the draft.

then they will make a tough decision. Do we trade him to the highest bidder or do we force him to play for the Vikings or retire. I think if the Vikings could get a couple of picks, including a 2nd rounder, they may be willing to make that deal. If I ran the Vikings, I would look for a cheaper alternative and draft picks to build a team that can compete against GB.

The next question is, what are the cowboys going to do? Then there are the quiet players like Jacksonville and Oakland who no one is talking about. Jacksonville has (or had) cap money and pairing AP with Bortles to help that offense, they could use that number 3 pick on a pass rusher and now they can contend with the colts and Texans.

A Jacksonville 2nd rounder would easily trump us. But does AP refuse to restructure his contract for Jax? So, I think it might be a two team race for AP. Dallas and Arizona.

It makes sense for both teams to trade for him. Both teams are playoff teams needing a back. AP is the best back period.

So after a long winded speech, I have a feeling that the AP trade gets other players involved and too rich for AZ. At least that is my gut feeling (or spidey senses). I’ll give you what I think the cards do in the draft.

Round 1 – Eli Harold OLB
    Round 2 – Ronald Darby CB / Tevin Coleman RB
    Round 3 – TJ Yeldon RB / Quinton Rollins CB

24. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 15, 2015 | Reply

Coach K,

If Keim thought he could get the next Peyton Manning, he would take him at 24. Of course, that would be 23 picks too late, because the Bucs would take him as #1.

Teams are not passing on the next Peyton. So, what I think you are saying is, Mannion is a diamond in the rough, who could grow into a starter for a team.

Remember, there are 4 teams that will start someone outside the top 40 picks at QB.
    Seattle – Wilson fell because of his height
    New England – Brady was dumb luck
    Texans – Still searching – Dont really have a QB
    Cowboys – Romo was undrafted.

Two teams undecided, with the Titans and Rams might be drafting QBs. (Tampa will draft a QB)

So basically, only 13 % of the teams have a QB out side the top 40 picks. With Romo and Brady being 10+ years ago. The odds are, a QB outside of round 1 or beginning of round two will be a bust.

There is no QB in this draft I would take in round 1. (besides the big two and they have questions) I say we hang tight and take the kid from Mich St next year. 2016 Might be a good year to trade up.

25. By Scott H on Apr 15, 2015 | Reply

Coach K –

I hear ya. Look, as long as RB is addressed as THE top priority, then I am not opposed to them taking a QB they believe could be their future. FOR REAL, that is. In other words, NOT another Logan Thomas.

I don’t see QB as a real need THIS year. Come next year…yeah, it needs to be. Even if Palmer is still going strong, they HAVE to plan for the future. AND Stanton is probably gone after this year. Also, there is the question of which QB – Stanton or Thomas – are you dumping if you draft a QB this year? ’cause somebody got to go if you do! I don’t see then carrying FOUR QB’s this season. I have no problem with Thomas being shown the door but….listen to all that is being said about much work they want to give him this summer.

That being said….what if they address the RB situation by getting AP in a trade and RB is no longer THE top priority come draft day? That would seem to open the door for drafting a QB a good bit wider, wouldn’t it? 🙂

We’ll see. But I hear ya.

26. By Scott H on Apr 15, 2015 | Reply

JTDG –

OK, glad you got the Spider Man reference. Let’s not think of ourselves as being old. I prefer to think of us as cultured….seasoned… possessing the wisdom of a world traveler….kinda like that dude from the Dos Equis commercials!🙂

Most of what you say makes perfect sense in regard to AP. But I don’t know if I see this coming to the point of retirement for him.

And I could be wrong but I REALLY don’t see AP landing with a team like Oakland or Jacksonville. AP is the greatest RB of this generation, yet he has no post-season glory to show for it. None. He is still capable of having a few more GREAT seasons, so….why is he going to waste that on another loser??? That, to me, makes no sense.

The Cowboys make sense because he is from Texas, apparently loved the Cowboys as a kid ( dang it! ). WITH Peterson, the Cowboys are right back in the mix as a contender in the NFC and they pretty much OWN the NFC East. Plus, there is always the glamour that comes with playing for the Cowboys. Lots of prime-time appearances, blah-blah-blah. Yeah, I hate that, too but….that’s the way it is.

But I think the Cards are a very viable option, too, because they are clearly an NFC contender going into next year. Just as ALMOST happened with Kurt Warner, imagine the hero AP would be if he came here and took the long-time loser Cardinals ( still the perception of many, sorry to say ) to a SB! Plus, he is apparently good friends with Fitz and I have to think it might be appealing to AP to be around GOOD guys like Fitz and Carson Palmer as opposed to people like Jerry Jones and Dez Bryant. Given what AP has been through, maybe he would prefer to be somewhere he would be more off the radar, able to focus on football as opposed to the perpetual 3-ring circus that is the Dallas Cowboys.

For the record, you and I seem to be the only people trying to keep this dream alive, so….if it comes true, we should get season tickets for the karma we perpetuated.

Darren, we might need your support here….you got our backs?🙂

27. By Coach K on Apr 15, 2015 | Reply

JTDG

I promised I was not going to post another mock, so I’m sticking with my last one that had Mannion going in the 3rd. However, knowing what I know now, I would take him in the first round. Winston is a bum and I don’t care how much he says he’s changed and moving forward, I know a scum bag when I see one. he’s garbage. Mariotta is first class and I see him as another Aaron Rogers. Sean Mannion is more pro ready than Mariotta right now, so I’d take him first.

And yes, he is the second coming of Peyton Manning. Same size, same accuracy, and average mobility. Almost a carbon copy. Give him the supporting cast he had in 2013, and he would be the first pick in this draft.

28. By Jessica on May 22, 2015 | Reply

Improving the conditions is the key to a successful training of the team and they’re definitely moving forward for the win!

2. Apr 22, 2015: Weight Room Equipment | Everything about Fitness