The options of Floyd’s option

Posted by Darren Urban on April 24, 2015 – 12:46 pm

The new collective bargaining agreement in 2011 provided a slotting system for rookie contracts, making the negotiating process much more simple than it used to be for first-round draft picks. It also creates a decision for teams after that initial three years of the four-year contract is up — like the Cardinals are facing with wide receiver Michael Floyd.

The Cards have yet to make a choice whether to invoke Floyd’s option, which would lock him up through the 2016 season. As the former 12th overall pick, Floyd would be due a salary of more than $7 million in 2016 if the Cards picked up the option — which must be decided by May 3, the day after the draft. That’s a lot of money, especially when Larry Fitzgerald is also being guaranteed $11 million for that season. Plus, Floyd’s play hasn’t reach that level yet either. He became a major deep threat for the Cardinals under Bruce Arians, and did average 17.9 yards a catch last season. But he had only 47 receptions, and while Arians said he thought Floyd ended up a “victim” of the quarterback injuries, Arians added “I think some frustration showed in his play sometimes.”

“He still needs to hit a consistency level,” Arians said. “He’s a 1,000-yard player. He should have had 1,000 easily. But there were some balls we expect him to come down with and he didn’t come down with and that’s what is holding him down from being elite.”

The Cardinals don’t have any reason to make a choice on the option before May 3. In a draft deep at wide receiver, it’s possible they could draft one higher, for the future, which could help a decision. The team would still have plenty of time to work out a contract extension before that option would kick in, even if they choose to exercise it. There is plenty of time for an extension even if they don’t, for that matter. There is little question this year is a big one for Floyd, but this particular contract choice has to be made without that able to play out first.

FloydOptionuse

Tags:

36 Responses to “The options of Floyd’s option”

1. By krehbieo14 on Apr 24, 2015 | Reply

I am sure Cards fans are sick of belaboring this issue but, does any one smell a possible trade involving Floyd for AP? Arians loves the play of Jaron Brown and could groom him to replace Floyd. The Cards will also pick up a receiver in the draft who also can serve as a kick returner. The Vikings seem to have some interest in securing Floyd who grew up in Minnesota. Trading Floyd frees up money to restructure a 3 year deal with AP. Obviously, all of this speculation is contingent on both parties intentions. Looking forward to the draft!

2. By clssylssy on Apr 24, 2015 | Reply

@krehbie014
    I think you hit the nail on the head, which would explain why the Cardinals continue to be “in the running” as the first name “sources” link with the future landing spot for AP and the the Cards not picking up Floyd’s option as of yet when that would make the most sense. BA seems to have a preference for a type whether it is Ellington or John Brown or Jaron Brown, small, wirey guys who are fast but are somewhat fragile and not real durable. I think both Fitz and Floyd have been victims of an inconsistency with QB play and on a different team, in a different scheme (and better development) would be putting up the numbers, rather than being labeled “declining” and “disappointing”.
    It’s so predictable that the Cards will pick up a receiver in the draft but anyone we get will have a learning curve and will come with no guarantees. We have been fortunate to have one of the best receiver corps around which has been our saving grace for a number of years. Both Fitz and Floyd have size and toughness as well as skill which has been used in much the same way as the Saints used Jimmy Graham and other teams have had in their TEs, and which we won’t get from the smaller guys. So, the question is, will the end justify the means for what may be a very small window?
    The Vikings have stated that they want a player and a pick and someone to pick up AP’s contract…sounds exactly like they are referring to the Cards…and if a better option comes up during the beginning of the draft, we still have until the 3rd to act on Floyd’s option, which, IMO, would be a no brainer. I can think of a number of teams who would jump at the chance to pick up Floyd for better money than he will get from the Cards.

3. By Darren Urban on Apr 24, 2015 | Reply

Clssy, krehbie —

RE: Trade

Why, in a draft replete with quality wide receiver prospects, would the Vikings trade AP for Floyd when they could keep him and get a good WR?

4. By Joe on Apr 24, 2015 | Reply

I’m pretty sure Keim won’t trade Floyd for a 30 year old running back.

5. By D on Apr 24, 2015 | Reply

This is a year to year business. The Cards main concern is how to get to and win the next SB. In the NFC West, that means going through Seattle.

WR depth on this team for 2015 is fine. A proven, consistent Pass Rusher is what should keep Mr. Keim and BA up late at night.

I don’t think we have been focusing enough on how large an impact losing T. Bowles could be. I say could because maybe the new D Cord will be able to create pressure from all areas of the defense like Mr. Bowles. But, if he isn’t as effective and the Cards can’t add more playmakers in pass rushers in the next few weeks, this D may not be a SB winning caliber defense.

The secondary, regardless of how many first round draft picks or Pro Bowl selections, can only cover for so long while waiting for the front 7 to get to the QB. Okafor needs to duplicate or improve from last years production, while CC is going to be really needed to be a force every week if the Cards miss on Pass Rushers this spring/summer. I am not expecting much from Woodley, so Mr. Keim and staff really need to have a top notch performance next week for AZ to be legitimate NFC contenders.

Hopefully the free agents added to date on the D are productive and healthy. I could see DWash getting the same punishment as Mr. Hardy in Dallas which could lead to AZ taking a ILB in addition to a OLB next week.

6. By irish106 on Apr 24, 2015 | Reply

Floyd with a quarter back will put up unbelievable stats .Botton line michael Floyd is as good as gone .Vikings would give there eye teeth for him .There won’t be any problem for several teams to take him off your hands .Arizona is a run first team it’s not far to hold him back .Please trade are release the man better for yea and him .

7. By Dr. G. on Apr 24, 2015 | Reply

It is difficult to read some of the things about Floyd getting criticized for his performance. As Arians said, he is one of the many “victims” ((just like Fitz)) of the QB activities in 2014. Keim should probably try to get a new deal with him and move on. If he leaves in his prime, he will go on to be one of the embarrassing moves the Cards did not make. There will be 31 teams that would be happy to have him.

Please, just stop the nonsense that he is not one of the best the Cards have had in 10 years. Name 5 who are better. Look at his stats esp in 2014… Three(3)!! catches per game?? And not many drops…most of which are bad throws that he is blamed for. How can you put up big numbers if you are not in the mix…Ellington got too many passes that should have gone to the WRs…. Yeah, frustrated… …later gang…

2014 16Games 47Catches 841Yards 17.9Avg

2013 16Games 65Catches 1,041Yards 16.0Avg

8. By clssylssy on Apr 24, 2015 | Reply

Darren…
    Any rookie is an unproven commodity (we have only look at Manziel, Leinert, Matt Barkley, Reggie Bush etc.), many are system guys who are great within a certain system but fail to translate to the pros or come with a big learning curve whereas Floyd is a proven difference maker, who has maturity and experience on his side, is big and physical and a stable person…an asset to any team’s locker room with a skill set most coaches would develop and value. Arizona has had to be a run first team because since Warner left we haven’t had the kind of QB or the 0-line to support the aerial game. When Carson is healthy he uses Fitz or Floyd or more. Put them on the Saints, 9ers, Seahawks, Broncos, Packers and they would be putting up the numbers as well as providing stability that no rookie is capable of.

9. By krehbieo14 on Apr 24, 2015 | Reply

Thank you for your response. I always respect your opinion. Everybody keeps talking about the Vikings “leverage.” In one sense they do have it because they own the rights to AP; in another way they may not, because they have a disgruntled employee on their hands – or is he just posturing for more money? Whether he leaves will be contingent upon how much resistance he creates and whether it’s in the Vikings best interest to retain him under those circumstances. If the Vikings have had enough, I think a trade with Arizona might make the best sense for both teams.

10. By MichaelfromSTL on Apr 24, 2015 | Reply

He’s costly if we pick up that option. AP is a longshot, but if we get him it will come before or during the draft(imo).
    Given our position in the draft I would like us to think defense with the pick, but if Dorial Green-Beckham is available I would hope he would have strong consideration. Trade down to end of the 1st or the beginning of the 2nd, and nab him. Look at defense or rb for the second round, then fill the needs along the line. DGB reminds me of when we had Quan and Fitz putting up 1000 yard campaigns, then Breaston (Smokey Brown) as the 3rd racking up catches on short passing routes. I’ll admit I like Floyd, but not at the cap hit. Draft a rookie (DGB hopefully), let FLoyd play out the rest of his contract or look for trade value.

11. By irish106 on Apr 24, 2015 | Reply

I just think a deal is in place with the Vikings .

12. By irish106 on Apr 24, 2015 | Reply

Bruce Arians didn’t draft Floyd and doesn’t .Seem to like him either that’s my take .The Vikings wanted him bad at the draft so did the Texans and Ravens .

13. By Coach K on Apr 24, 2015 | Reply

Draft is super deep in wide receivers and running backs. Vikes can keep AP and get a great receiver in round two or even rounds three.

As for the Cardinals, they should focus on building depth behind three positions: Corner, Offensive tackle, and Defensive tackle. Those are first priority positions that need depth.

Then, after filling key depth, they can grab linebackers and running backs.

CB, OT, DT (Priority one)

14. By georgiebird on Apr 24, 2015 | Reply

Floyd may have been drafted as insurance for Larry possibly leaving. With Larry staying, the Floyd draft choice could have been spent more efficiently.
    Floyd is a good player but the Cardinals need upgrades at several positions in order to unseat Seattle.
    Would not extend Floyd. .

15. By Marlin on Apr 24, 2015 | Reply

clsslssy, with all due respect…..you say some things on various blogs that are not representative of what knowledgeable football fans would think. Your persona as a local fan sometimes makes all of us Cards fans seem clueless … just as some of the blog comments I’m referring to. sorry for the criticism.

16. By Big Ken on Apr 24, 2015 | Reply

Clssylssy makes good points. Mr. Floyd is relatively proven as a pro player, reputation, etc.. So the trade value is there. Sometimes I wonder if the Cardinals are really interested in AP. Or is this all manufactured by the press corp. Haven’t BA/SK been tight lipped about the whole story?

17. By Steve . on Apr 24, 2015 | Reply

Darren: Enjoyed the draft videos you did with Kyle and Pasch. Any chance of you you doing a post draft video analyzing each of the Cards selections with Kyle and Dave?

18. By Darren Urban on Apr 25, 2015 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Post-draft

We will do something. Not sure of Dave’s availability but we should have something.

19. By Black on Apr 24, 2015 | Reply

Basically it means it’s a contract year for Floyd.

20. By sbrown on Apr 25, 2015 | Reply

the problem of picking up the option, is that the Cards would then be locked in to paying Floyd approx 7 million just for the 2016 season.
    Why not let him play this year, then if SK wants to, do the extended contract with cap numbers that will be workable for the team.

I’m not saying let him walk, but with the Cards already on the hook to Fitz for 11 million in 2016, can the team really add another 7 million to that position ?

To Floyd, go do your best and let SK do his job in offering you a contract that both sides can live with.

21. By irish106 on Apr 25, 2015 | Reply

I think if a trade don’t be done .Hell hit free agency and be else where .

22. By Scott H on Apr 25, 2015 | Reply

Well, this horse has already been beaten to death but for what it’s worth, I just cannot escape the extent to which Floyd just seemed to disappear ( for REAL ) from the offense for entire games last year. And, yet BA says he should have had a 1,000 yard season…..really? That seems kinda hard for any player to achieve when the ball isn’t coming his way at all for entire games at times. Isn’t it???

I love BA’s candor but when he says consistency was lacking and there were too many ball Floyd should have come down with that he didn’t come down with….I just don’t see that as telling the whole story here. So, I guess what I really want to know is how much of the fact that Floyd was being under-utilized as much as he was due to HIS own deficiencies ( physical or mental )? ’cause it seem to me there must be more to this.

I would also point out that Fitz was being NOTABLY under-utilized last year as well. So, Floyd was NOT the only guy missing in action along the way.

And I don’t really consider the “QB situation” a major factor here. It was CLEARLY a factor once the team was reduced to using Ryan Lindley. OK. no argument there. BUT that wasn’t until the last 2 weeks of the season. While Drew Stanton was in as the starter, this offense was still running the same as it was being run under Carson Palmer, long shots down the field and all. So….I don’t give as much weight to the QB situation factor as some others may.

But regardless, I love this kid and I hold onto the potential he showed during 2013 as my vision of what Michael Floyd can be. I want to see this kid be a BEAST in 2015 and make it REAL hard for the Cardinals to not keep him here.

23. By irish106 on Apr 25, 2015 | Reply

He’s talent is is sick it’s be the cardinals loss .I heard he’s wants out of arizona I can’t blame him .

24. By Darren Urban on Apr 25, 2015 | Reply

irish —

RE: Floyd

It’s clear where your loyalties lie, but let’s hold off on the rumormongering.

25. By irish106 on Apr 25, 2015 | Reply

He was a 5 star in high school no 7 player over all .Three time first team all American broke every record in nd history including tim Browns .He also had some off the field issues at notre dame but he has so much talent .A complete game changer he didn’t ever mis a game .Even the Michigan hater fans will tell u that they were glad to see him leave .One game against Michigan I no he got 18 passes .Then against usc in one game had 17 passes .Houston wanted the kid real bad but his combine he blew it up even .Even with the off the field issues his talent would make up .

26. By JohnnyBluenose on Apr 26, 2015 | Reply

@ irish 106 (really like your name)…why would Floyd or any other cardinal want out of Arizona?

27. By irish106 on Apr 26, 2015 | Reply

Cardinals are a run first team he doesn’t get many throws.And judging by buce Adrian’s comments I couldn’t play for him.

28. By Darren Urban on Apr 26, 2015 | Reply

irish —

RE: Pass/run

The Cardinals had 596 pass plays last season and 397 rushing attempts. So …

As for Adrian’s comments, what are you talking about?

29. By irish106 on Apr 26, 2015 | Reply

He sad he’s incontest .I guess he can throw and catch it him self right .

30. By cards62 on Apr 26, 2015 | Reply

Darren very good fact on our Cardinals being 60% pass and 40% run,

Floyd is a hard one to figure out. He has all the physical tools and a very strong 2013 season that he did not follow up in 2014. Guys I just remember him going up for many passes last year and they were not easy catches but they were catchable and he did not come down with the ball most of the time, and I remember sometimes we would score and many Cardinals Players would be around celebrating and I did not see Floyd anywhere. Fitz was one of these players even in games with zero or one catch Fitz was always there. I just do not know about Floyd’s desire, but this being a contract year I think he we play well in 2015, but to be honest I hope he has it in a Minnesota uniform. Floyd is several years younger than Peterson and much less of a salary cap hit so I would not give the Vikings much more than just a straight swap for Peterson, and remember NFL teams hate conflict in the locker room so this should motivate Minnesota.
    (Last point on Floyd and I am sorry if I remember this incorrectly and please correct me if I get this wrong but I remember the Phillly game last year and their little receiver Macklin getting nailed but coming back into the game and catching 10 or more passes against us and around 200 yards and Floyd leaving the game and not coming back. Main thing I remember is saying during that game is man I would trade Floyd right now for Mackin.)
    Floyd I just can not figure out and after 3 years we should know what we have. I knew what we had in Fitz and Bolden long before the end of their 3rd seasons. I would not cut him or let him leave and us receive nothing in return, but I do hope we can move him.

Go cards can not wait for the draft to start.

31. By Scott H on Apr 26, 2015 | Reply

irish106 –

Dude, I was trying to hang in there with ya, but….you can’t say things like “the Cardinals are a run first team” which are so ridiculously in-accurate and expect people to take what you are saying seriously. What / who is the source of your claim that Floyd supposedly wants out of Arizona??? That, too, just makes no sense.

In today’s NFL, there are very few “run first” teams left. It’s a passing league, bud, and the Cardinals have been on the PASS-first side of the ledger for many years at this point. Seriously – if you are a fan, YOU tell me who was the last RB they had who was productive enough to support a run-first offense???

C’mon, now…..

32. By Scott H on Apr 26, 2015 | Reply

irish106 –

RE: He sad he’s incontest.

WHAT???? You making up your own words????

33. By JohnnyBluenose on Apr 26, 2015 | Reply

BUCE ADRIAN ????

34. By irish106 on Apr 27, 2015 | Reply

No he sad it the other day .The best thing for both party’s is to trade him to the Vikings .

35. By irish106 on Apr 27, 2015 | Reply

I think cardinals can get Peterson .If they give them floyd .Thats what heard and a 2nd round pick also .

36. By irish106 on Apr 27, 2015 | Reply