Cards’ 24th pick could go a million different ways

Posted by Darren Urban on April 28, 2015 – 3:08 pm

OK, maybe it couldn’t go a million different ways. A million is a lot. But the closer the draft gets, it’s clear no one really has a good handle on how the picks will play out — and thus, no one has a good handle on who might be there for the Cardinals when pick No. 24 arrives. There are a lot of reasons for that. You have guys that would be locks to be top 10 or top 15 picks if not for off-field problems (Shane Ray, Randy Gregory, Dorial Green-Beckham.) You have a quarterback — probably Marcus Mariota, if you subscribe to the idea that the Bucs take Jameis Winston — that could go No. 2 but certainly seems to be anything but a sure thing, opening up the possibilities of trades very early. You have a ton of wide receivers that are talented and who goes before whom may come down to a matter of preference. You have probably the best running back dealing with a little thing called an ACL rehab, changing his stock.

There could be some serious talent sitting there for the Cards at No. 24. It may have an injury red flag or, more likely, a character red flag of some sort. This team desperately needs a good pass rusher, but they probably don’t need another linebacker who gets suspended. They could use a running back, but the draft is so deep with them, would they pass in the first round even if a Gurley or Gordon were there? (I’ve always thought yes, but I’ve been wrong before.)

Then there was this from the Voice of the Cardinals, Dave Pasch:

Pass rusher is not a surprise, nor is cornerback. And Pasch and I (and Kyle Odegard) discussed the reality of looking offensive line a couple weeks ago. Steve Keim is still looking to solidify the group up front to turn them into a unit that can grind out a ground game (and keeping in mind RG Jonathan Cooper remains unproven and RT Bobby Massie is a free agent after the season.) So a tackle makes sense too.

But I guess I’d be surprised if a wide receiver were the pick. Then again, there are some significant game-breaking wideouts that can be had in this draft — it’s the strength of the 2015 class — and another playmaker that can catch/return is always welcome. This all also plays into the very real possibility of a trade-down-for-an-extra-pick scenario for Keim, something of which Keim loves to do. I know this, that picking at 24 can provide a surprise. Last year, the Cards didn’t shock by taking a safety, but I don’t think anyone saw Deone Bucannon ahead of time.

2015 NFL Draft

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

45 Responses to “Cards’ 24th pick could go a million different ways”

1. By Marlin on Apr 28, 2015 | Reply

Totally Agree with Pasch…….

2. By MostlyRight on Apr 28, 2015 | Reply

Get Tyler Lockett in rounds 3 or 4 if he falls as WR/returner, or Ty Montgomerey in 6 or 7.

3. By D on Apr 28, 2015 | Reply

I think everyone at this point, days before the draft is over thinking/guessing who the Cards may take. Look at the last two drafts, Keim Drafted his top 3 needs for the team each year.

This year, his top need is pass rusher. I believe Ziggy from UCLA at DE who if checks out medically is the right size to play OLB for AZ.
    In the second round, they will choose between the best ILB with speed versus the biggest RB available. I could see them take Perryman from the U and come back in round 3 to draft either the RB out of MN Cobb or the kid from N. Iowa Johnson, both big inside runners.

Ideally I think if Keim can drop down a few spots in round 1 still able to draft Ziggy and add an extra 3 rd pick, he would be thrilled.

4. By Scott H on Apr 28, 2015 | Reply

Geez….why does a WR make sense for THIS team with their first round pick??? You are already 4-deep with WR’s ranging from out and out stud to at least starting caliber. Meanwhile, RB is a position where you are paper thin ( despite the in-explicable belief of some that we are stacked at that position ).

Pass rusher, I get. No problem there.

O-line, OK. But in the first round??

But WR??? That, I just can’t see.

I understand that they may not have to take a RB at 24 to get the RB they need, but….there is no greater position of need, IMHO, so I hope decisions are being made with that in mind.

My lord, is it Thursday yet?????

5. By Coach K on Apr 28, 2015 | Reply

I agree 100%. Some former scouting people have said the Cardinals could take an offensive tackle at pick #24, and others a running back.

I personally feel it will be either an offensive tackle or cornerback based on the current situation with Crow leaving and Massie a free agent next year. Keim has to cover these positions in the draft.

So I say OT at #24, and CB at #55

Or, it could be the reverse of that with Corner at #24, and Tackle at #55, but the quality of tackle drops significantly.

The biggest question I have is “How Far Will Shane Ray Fall?” If he falls to #24, I have have a hard time not picking him, even with his recent poor decision making. Let’s not forget he’s a kid who comes from a tough background. I understand the need to escape the pain. But I think the kid is a good kid watching him on ESPN the last two weeks. I think being with the Cardinals would have the same result as with Mathieu.

In round three, I’m really liking the running back Cobb, or the speed receiver Lockett. I liked Cobb two months ago and I still do. He has ok speed, but he is one of the most athletic football players I have seen. The kid is a gamer.

6. By Steve . on Apr 28, 2015 | Reply

Darren: You might have answered this already but if OLB Randy Gregory is still on the board at #24 do you think Keim passes on him due to his multiple drug fail tests? If you were a betting man that is, whats your opinion?

7. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Gregory

I think, after the Washington stuff, it’ll be tough to pull that trigger.

8. By georgiebird on Apr 28, 2015 | Reply

Disagree with Pasch. Cards want Gurley or Gordon. If either RB were to drop beyond 15, I see SK making a deal.
    Anyone who can rush the passer would be the Cards next best choice at #24.

9. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Pasch

Except Dave talks to people in the organization. You, I’m pretty sure, do not.

10. By Junior on Apr 28, 2015 | Reply

My picks 1-4:

1-O.O. DE/OLB
    2-Stephone Anthony ILB
    3-David Cobb RB
    4-Max Garcia C

11. By Andy Kw on Apr 28, 2015 | Reply

My head hurts just thinking about Shane Ray. A very talented pass rusher but so many off the field issues. Pass or not? Idk. Let’s go with Gregory if still available

12. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: ray

Wait, so you struggle to take Ray, but you’d take Gregory — who arguably has deeper issues?

13. By Dr. G. on Apr 28, 2015 | Reply

Well, after all the speculation, and with the varied wants//needs, as with last year, none of us will be accurate with our wishes. Last year, we were mostly surprised and stunned with our draft…mostly unorthodox, but we got a few journeymen. I refuse to guess what our brain trust will do…just trust them.

But the draft is fun, and I am mystified with the 1st 3 picks. I consider John Gruden to be the very best talent//skills//intelligence evaluator in the business. He has done elaborate research on all this, and has but one question, “”why isn’t Mariota the 1st QB in this draft?””

For QBs, he is the better athlete of the top 2. He is better off field, better on field stats, better with DECISIONS, better in the classroom, better TDs and he is not INT prone like Winston and the same size. Oregon used lots of pro-style offense. Mariota humiliated Winston 59-20 in the biggest game of the season, the Rose Bowl. Gruden says Mariota is a 6’4″ Russell Wilson…! Listen up Jason Licht…

14. By Black on Apr 28, 2015 | Reply

Trade up and get Fowler.

15. By Dynosoar on Apr 28, 2015 | Reply

We need to win the NFC West.

Knowing the 49ers have imploded, I’m not too worried about them right now, the Rams are showing signs of being serious contenders (just like last year and the year before, hard to gauge them.)

The road to winning the division goes through either Arizona or Seattle this year. So with this in mind I’d do the following. (Knowing I’m not Steve Keim, but it does seem his style. Also, Arians said he and Bowles let the other team win the first half so we could see what they were doing and go out and we’d win the game.)

So, trade down with Seattle for a second (probably not) or a third round pick.

Se what their game plan is, the direction they are heading in the first round and the second, then use our picks to counter so we can beat them – TWICE.

Well, that’s what I’d do.

16. By Dynosoar on Apr 28, 2015 | Reply

And the beautiful part, we’d be using that extra second or third round pick against them, instead of them using it against us. We’d turn their strength (the pick) against them.

17. By rod (Eddie Goldman RD1) on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

I don’t understand why CB keeps coming up for first round, BA said Bethel was going to play CB this year.

I hope we don’t take any injury concerned or of the field player. Trade down then I’d that’s all there is at our pick.

18. By bobby mc jones 21 yo mahda on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

darren tell keim to surprise us again be taking a lat round qb in the first round like petty he’s supposed to go in rd 3 or 4 but surprise us agian by taking him at 24 you did it last year with deone bucannon in the first round do it again by taking petty if he is still on the board and you are on the clock

19. By bobby mc jones 21 yo mahda on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

we still need some good backup qb’s if logan dosent succeed AGAIN and maybe petty will be a 2nd string qb. when carson retires which i hope doesnt happen anytime soon anyways petty will be a godd 1st string with drew stanton at 2nd, harnish at 3 and thomas at 4 that will be a good setup

20. By hminus on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

Trade back SK,pick-up those extra valuable rounds 2-4 picks & have a talent feast!!!…

21. By hminus on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

Still believe after a trade-down we should double dip,(1 early & 1 late,)on RB’s & OLB’s…

22. By Richard L on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

If Cards trade down and get another pick in the 2nd Round then I like Brandon Scherff from Iowa for the OL. Could play Guard or Tackle.

23. By carlo milano on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

BPA ,a winning team doesnt draft for need
    about people having issues off the field,they are still young kids,there is a chance to learn from mistakes,i did listen gregory and shane ray interviews,they both seems good guys,certainly they made mistakes,but i think if they come in cardinals organization they will get better as human being

24. By carlo milano on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

if a college player has a past with no off field issues doesnt mean he wont have when he turn pro
    same can be said viceversa
    justin houston
    warren sapp
    tyrann matthieu
    young man can change their attitude when are still young
    thats why interview process are very important

25. By Andy Kw on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

So you want to pass on both Darren?

26. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: Passing

I didn’t say that. I just find it weird that you sound worried about one but OK with the other.

27. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

Ray vs Gregory;

Good question. Who does have the deeper issues?

Richard L,

“If Cards trade down and get another pick in the 2nd Round then I like Brandon Scherff from Iowa for the OL.”

Scherff is rated in the top 10 of this draft. I doubt we can trade down and get a top 10 talent.

Dyno,

When trading down, there needs to be a reason the other team is willing to move up and give up draft picks. So tell me, why is seattle moving up?

Scott H,

Why Wr? Well, Fitz is on a two year contract and Floyd balloons to 7 million if we pick up his option. Finally, there is a ton of talent at WR this year.
    I would be tempted to grab Jaelan Strong at 24 if a OLB / Gurley isn’t there.

28. By jaime on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

need a pass rusher, hands down. without a pass rusher the cards are hurt especially this season with Bowles gone. Pass rusher then CB then RB then OT then do i dare say it QB (QB a gamble but when it pays off it pays off) after that pick any position who ever is the best player. Over and done.

29. By jaime on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

also i dont expect Wash”out”ton to be playing, and to be frank not jaime, I wouldnt want him back.

30. By Andy Kw on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

I’ve actually expressed my concerns about Gregory before. But I think either is worth the risk. Both were proven pass rushers in college and both have the speed the Cardinals really like. Shane Ray looks like he is truly sorry for his actions and could be a guy to turn his career around before it begins. Gregory failed a test recently and there are plenty of concerns there but his similar qualities to Aldon Smith is so intruiging. If the Cards don’t want to take the risk,trade down and get more picks but still draft a fast pass rusher like Eli Harold. If not, we could forget OLB in the 1st Rd and consider guys like Jordan Phillips or Todd Gurley if still available. The question now is, are we willing to pass up on these really good pass rushers? How much trust do the Cardinals really have in LaMarr Woodley? We want a future at that OLB position and if one is still available, it is a calculated risk worth taking.

31. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

Who knows? But mayock’s list pretty good read:

32. By azdesertrat1953 on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

31 more hrs. and we will start to Know, what everybody is now guessing about.

After hearing the Fantasy Draft I heard on Doug an Wolf the other morning from the Fan GM’s, I am Very sure that Steve Keims job is safe from ALL of you.

GO CARDS!!!

33. By Dynosoar on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

JTDG,

They traded their 1st round pick to New Orleans and have eleven picks overall. This modifies my original idea, because we couldn’t trade down for a later first round pick.

We’d have to trade for three picks and while this is what I’d like to see (they have fewer picks and we have more), based on history they won’t make the trade.

90% of the Schnieder/Carrol led draft day changes have been the same as our Keim/Arrians trades, they trade down for more picks rather than up for less.

Still, I think if we could swing a trade down with Seattle, we have the advantage going into next season and I want to see our team sweep the Seahawks this year (and beyond).

Does this answer your question?

(I was so anxious for the draft, I wore my jersey to work today thinking I’d be reading about our first draftee in Cardinals red later today. Well, Looks like I’ll be wearing an away jersey tomorrow. Have a happy draft day, tomorrow my friends.)

34. By Big Red on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

Darren since you didn’t answer this one in the draft here it goes again:

Should the Cards use the last pick in the draft on Jerry Jones’ plastic surgeon?

35. By georgiebird on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

Now I do give you credit, BUT are you telling me that Dave Pasch is parroting the organizations innermost secrets. Now think your comment over- you can’t be saying what I think you’re saying. Dave is not that secure in his position that BASK couldn’t have him packing this afternoon.
    And for the seven guys who agree with you, that’s a sad commentary about their knowledge of the draft and what the draft (and its little secrets) is all about.

36. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Pasch

What I am telling you is that you said “Cards want Gordon or Gurley.” Not “I think,” but they want — as if it is fact.

I am telling you, I trust that Pasch has a better sense of what they want than you do.

37. By georgiebird on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

You are not being honest here. I’m not doubting that Dave Pasch and you for that matter know much more than I do about the inner dealings of the Cardinals’ war room.
    The question is” Is Dave Pasch going public with this “insider information”.
    I think not.

38. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

Goergie —

RE: Honest

We’ll see. We’ll know Thursday.

39. By Scott H on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

JTDG –

Well, as always, my thoughts run toward the simple. Yes, we do have Fitz for 2 more years ( maybe more, maybe not ). So, let’s not use our first round pick NOW planning for the future which may or may not involve Fitz by drafting a WR.. Let’s maximize the two-year window we KNOW he is here for by getting the RB we need to balance the offense.

That, of course, would be Adrian Peterson!

Also, the Cardinals may be slotted for pick # 24 but that does not mean they will stay there.

40. By georgiebird on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

We’ll know Thursday but Pasch knows now. I will be canceling my subscription to the Kiper and McShay newsletters. Next year, I will be subscribing to the Pasch newsletter. Who needs guesswork when I can mainline it all the way to the top.

41. By MichaelfromSTL on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

It is very tempting to take a WR this year. Its loaded with talent and I have my personal favorite. Doesn’t mean I think they will pick one with the 24th pick, but a possible trade down to late of the 1st or early beginning of the 2nd round could make it achievable. Gain a extra pick, and fill “actual” needs with rest of our picks.

Personally, I love how our drafts have turned out the past few years, and I’ve come to expect us to fill defensive needs. I favor seeing our Cards dominate the defensive side of the game, but I just want us to put up some points than what we have been pulling. A team that can put up an average of 27-30 points a game, with a Top 5 defense in place is a team bound to be a force to be reckon with.

I like Dorial Green-Beckham with our pick. I’m partially biased, but that’s beside the point. You can put any other WR in there with the same combination of height and speed, and I’d still be happy. 6’5 230+ LBs. We’ll be bigger at receiver when we attack them deep throws. I’m not surprised we exercised Floyd’s option. It makes sense, given that he has s a year to prove he’s worth more for an extension. Larrys a non-issue for me. Time and time again he’s proven to me to be an all-time cardinal. His cap will be reasonable, but say Floyd doesn’t exceed expectations or actually does.. Two WR with potentially big cap hits? We couldn’t swing it with Quan, so for me it makes sense. Pick DGB or a WR like DGB, and get those sweet rookie contracts that takes four years for the team to invest more in. You can say were set at WR, but I’ve been favoring a rookie WR over Jaron Brown.

I’m not saying 1 WR could change our whole dynamic, bc a lot of things need to fall in place for an offense to run consistently smooth like that. Line needs to block, and the chains need to move. I just have faith and taking a chance in offensive talent with our pick; can equally or even more help our team as if we were to draft defensively. I hadn’t even mentioned the RB sitch. Andre’s awesome. I’m not too high on running backs though. They seem risky and much of them don’t become the next top back. If a trades there for Peterson I’d be open to it. Reasons being that he is a top back and to me a low risk player even after a knee injury. Just don’t sell the whole house lol

42. By bobby mc jones 21 yo mahda on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

why does everybody hate my opinions im just saying that they should just draft bryce petty thats all and do other stuff with him and actually if you watched the game bryce petty did play at ARIZONA for the fiesta bowl and thats why he sould get drafted by the ARIZONA cardinals

43. By Big Ken on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

Ray vs Gregory, who gets drafted first? Now there’s a wager.

2. Apr 29, 2015: Cardinals Blogs | In the past, 24 has come out well