In the past, 24 has come out well

Posted by Darren Urban on April 29, 2015 – 1:15 pm

Whomever the Cardinals take at 24 Thursday night — assuming they keep No. 24, and again acknowledging it could go in a lot of different directions — history shows it can be a fruitful place to be picking. The last couple of 24s are still TBD — the Bengals taking CB Darqueze Dennard last year and the Colts taking DE Bjorn Werner in 2013 — but here’s a sampling of players taken at No. 24 since 2002: G David DeCastro, DE Cameron Jordan, WR Dez Bryant, RB Chris Johnson, QB Aaron Rodgers, RB Steven Jackson, TE Dallas Clark and S Ed Reed.

There have been a handful of other serviceable guys there too.

What GM Steve Keim will do when he’s on the clock remains up for debate. Barring someone they love falling, I’m guessing the first move will be to look into the trade down. Keim would love to get an extra pick, like he did last year to get the extra choice that provided him WR John Brown.

“I think there are going to be (pass) rushers go off the board quickly,” Keim said. “I think there are going to be (offensive) tackles that go off the board quickly. From there, it depends on what’s left. The good news is we put our (top) 130 together and there are 24 names we are excited about.”

OK, of course Keim is going to say he’s got 24 names the Cardinals are excited about, but that’s OK. He’ll make it work.

Steven Jackson

Tags: ,

20 Responses to “In the past, 24 has come out well”

1. By SteveG on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

if Cooper gets past his health issue this year and proves to be the pro bowl quality tackle we were told he was, you have to view Keim’s first 2 drafts as overall positives….Not all hits but enough to say he has got the job done..

Be telling in a couple more years If/when the Cards do almost nothing in free agency…If we don’t have future holes to fill, then Keim will have done his job.

2. By Marlin on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

Steve G…….Cooper is a Guard….not a Tackle………….

3. By Coach K on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

Will the Cardinals take a quarterback in this draft?

Removing all the hype for the top two, there is no question in my mind that Sean Mannion is the most pro ready of any quarterback in this draft.

Could the Cardinals steal him in round three or four?

That’s the question I’m asking this weekend.

4. By SteveG on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

Marlin…Oops..but the point remains the same…doesn’t it?

5. By Whitey on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

In a draft where there are a lot of second round graded players and few elite talents I’m all for trading down to pick up an extra 3rd rounder like last year.

Possible Trade partners to move down:

Saints: Give up Round 1 -Pk 31 and Round 3, Pick 11 or 14
    Green Bay: Give up Round 1 and Round 3 Pick 30
    Tampa Bay: Give up Round 2 pick 2 and Round 3 Pick 1
    Tennessee: Give up Round 2 pick 1 and Round 3 Pick 2

The best picks in the draft as far as financial value are the top of the second round, but they also don’t include a fifth year option. The trades with Tampa and Tennessee would be almost like acquiring a 2nd round pick.

6. By George on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

Unless a player they really like unexpectedly falls to 24, I believe that Steve Keim will trade down like last year if a team calls with the proper compensation.

7. By Dr. G. on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

Not a big fan of trading down just to get more camp bodies that won’t make the team. Close scrutiny can produce a highly ranked draft. We were “C” at best in 2014. Of the 7 picks, Powell is gone, and only a couple men made consistent significant contributions. It takes a couple years for lower picks to get it going if they last that long. In truth, the draft is still a crap shoot…

If we use #24 to get a skill position player ((wr,rb,cb,lb)), odds are he cracks the starting lineup. We want starters to be able to help us make a deep run “now,” while things are going well, not 2 years from now. My hope is that our QBs can be healthy all season; that gives us a good shot to run the table.

I look forward for Logan to get the time he needs to make it or break it; the promise is there. He has been stunted with the rules for field time available. Now is his time to get “jiggy widit.!” We did not draft him to stand there and look good in uniform.

The draft is finally here Cards’ Fans….be well

8. By krehbieo14 on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

Coach K –

I agree on Mannion. No hoopla for this guy in the draft, just pro-ready preparation. The Cards need to keep looking for that quarterback gem in the middle rounds while we still have time to groom prior to Palmer’s exit. I am still not sold on Logan Thomas being the future.

9. By Andy Kw on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

Hey Darren, you should have a blog post that says Wednesday before the Draft.

10. By Darren Urban on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: Wednesday before the draft

I probably should have. Although I don’t know what else I’d say at this point.

11. By William Barry on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

Speaking of last years choice, Buchannon was all over the field as CB/safety, and also LB….he was a great tackler and a force to be reckon with, for many years to come……would like to see us trade down for more picks!!!! Lets make a splash in round 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. By joe.holst on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

we need pressure and heat for the front 7. someone to chase down Russell Wilson and cover Jimmy Graham from Seattle. A RB to move the chains and a WR burn through the tough NTC west Defenses.

13. By Scott H on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

The NTC West division? OK, what did I miss???

14. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

Trading down;

Ok, Ok. I get why some want to trade down. What I don’t get is how you are coming up with these teams.

First, we have no idea who will be there at 24, so tothink the saints (or anyone else) will trade with us, makes no sense at all.

Second, The saints are in cap hell. They have been trading players. Why would they trade draft picks away for one player? The packers never trade up. The Titans and Bucs were the two worst teams in the league. With so many needs, why do they trade up giving away picks?

How you trade down is, lets say a guy is rated on a teams board at 15. They see him slipping to 24 and they think he could have an instant impact. Then, you come up and get him.

Examples, Browns trading two ones for the #2 pick to get Mariotta. The cowboys coming up to get Gurley. The panthers coming up to get Humphries.
    These are trades that make sense.

15. By Chuck 1 on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

I’m finally ready to make my prediction as to what Keim will do with his draft picks. TA DA!!!

Before I do, to set the record straight, I’ve never been a proponent of Best Player Available (BPA).

Teams have NEEDS. Keim should decide which position is the greatest NEED.
    Then, when he is on the clock, select the best player at that position.

I’ve gone round and round with other fans about NEED vs. BPA and I’m sticking to my guns.

With that being said, here are my prediction of what Keim will do:

#1: BPA, (without regard as to what position NEEDS that the Cards have)
    #2 BPA Ditto
    #3 BPA Ditto
    #4 BPA Ditto
    #5 BPA Ditto
    #6 BPA Ditto
    #7: BPA Ditto

There. I feel a lot better. 🙂

16. By Andy Kw on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

William Barry,
    I cannot agree with you more. I would love to see the Cardinals acquire more picks.

17. By Dr. G. on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

Well, after the Cardinals picked up the 2016 option on Floyd today, if we pick a WR, it will surely be in later rounds. Now, Keim can concentrate on LB, DE, or LB early on to get what we really need.

I was hoping the O-line would be OK, but questions remain…maybe a pickup comes tomorrow or in FA later…A QB would not surprise. ((Hundley)) …a good day today…

18. By jerrytown on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

My bold draft prediction: Randy Gregory and/or Shane Ray falls out of the first round and beyond. Every year, a player who was highly rated in mocks slides pretty far…sometimes into the 3rd or later. I’d be stoked to grab either guy in a later round.

19. By Coach K on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply

krehbieo14

I’m glad you see things the way I do. I would like to offer some validation of why I think Mannion is much better than the others in this draft and a wise choice for the Cards.

Winston and Mariotta both benefited by being on great teams this year. Both teams are loaded with NFL talent. Mannion on the other hand lost all of his NFL talent the year before. His offensive line was newbies, both receivers were gone, and so was the starting tailback.

Yet, despite getting killed behind this young o-line, Mannion still produced decent passing numbers, led a young team to an upset win over #7 Arizona State knocking them out of the National Championship discussion.

I remember when the Cardinals drafted highly hyped QB Matt Leinart from USC. He was a heisman trophy winner, surrounded by a great team filled with NFL stars, and when he landed in the NFL, was a bust. I see the same possibilities with Winston and Mariotta. Over hyped and with many flaws, but surrounded by great athletes.

If Mannion had his 2013 team back this past year, we would be talking about him in the top of round one next to Winston and Mariotta. You see, I don’t care about the guys surrounded by great talent. I care about the guy who loses his entire supporting cast and not only puts up good numbers, but leads his team to upset the 7th ranked team in the nation. That’s the guy I want to develop into my franchise QB.

20. By Coach K on Apr 29, 2015 | Reply