First round/Humphries aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on April 30, 2015 – 11:17 pm

First things first. Steve Keim and Bruce Arians weren’t committing to any position for their second- and third-round targets by the time the first round was over Thursday night. It won’t be an offensive linemen, but Arians reiterated the Cards will stick to their board when pick No. 55 comes up Friday afternoon, and unless there are a handful of closely graded guys sitting there (which is when need could come into play) the Cards will stay with the rankings.

That means we could see a running back, or a cornerback, a pass rusher or inside linebacker. I could possibly see a receiver with return skills as well. Among players at those positions left (while acknowledging the Cards have to wait until pick 23 Friday): Pass rusher Randy Gregory, cornerback Jalen Collins, pass rusher Eli Harold, cornerback Ronald Darby, linebacker Eric Kendricks and almost all the running backs, like Tevin Coleman, Duke Johnson, T.J. Yeldon and Ameer Abdullah.

— As for the choice of D.J. Humphries, it seemed like there was some surprise from the feedback I got, although offensive line was something I mentioned as a possibility on various outlets. Humphries sounds like an outgoing guy and while he is young, the Cardinals are convinced his upside will turn into something good on the field. He’ll battle Bobby Massie at right tackle, but when you are a first-round pick, usually, you’re going to be expected to play right away.

— Keim said the Cards could have traded up. No way to know if they might have tried to draft pass rushers Bud Dupree or Shane Ray. But obviously it wasn’t so important that the Cards wanted to shred their remaining picks.

— The last three tackles taken in the first round by the Cardinals: Levi Brown in 2007, Leonard Davis in 2001 and L.J. Shelton in 1999. None worked out the way the Cards hoped they would, but Keim clearly has higher hopes this time around. The upgrades to the offensive line in Keim’s short tenure have been drastic and should be effective.

NFL Draft Football

Tags: , , , , ,

76 Responses to “First round/Humphries aftermath”

1. By Areg on Apr 30, 2015 | Reply

I trust Keim’s analysis more than my own obviously, but i just don’t understand drafting a player in the first round where there’s a chance he wont even play his first year.

Its not like there werent other need-based players of value available. There were several big corners available, and there was Kendricks, arguably the best ILB available.

Just throwing a random thought out there.. any of you guys see Massie possibly shifting over to center, similar to the way Cam Erving switched, and panning out? Doesn’t sound likely to me.

Anyways overreaction is a bad thing but what do you cards fans think of the pick and the logic behind it?

2. By Areg on Apr 30, 2015 | Reply

I notice some of you saying this was the pick that they were expecting all along. Not what Ive been seeing.
    Its good to have optimistic fans though

3. By Steve . on May 1, 2015 | Reply

I can live with the Humphries pick if the Cards come out of this draft with at least 2 pass rushers. Keim can talk about “lean years with no O-line” all he wants before he became GM but it seems like every draft in the last 10 years this team has never drafted a pass rusher in the first 2 rounds and it shows in their inability to get to the QB without some kind of exotic blitz package. I’m tired of watching the other teams QB have all day to throw.

4. By Dr. G. on May 1, 2015 | Reply

This pick baffles….esp. with many games missed due to multiple mcl sprains. Repeating…I am going Byron Jones there…but I gotta think Keim has more info than we, and he is committed to keeping Palmer upright…later

5. By Eazy E on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Damn I wanted Randy Gregory! He won’t be there most likely with our 2nd rounder. Humphries might be good, but I like Massie’s growth and felt like Humphries was more of a luxury pick. He is big at 6’5 and 315 lbs and a lot of scouts rave about his footwork and talent overall, but Gregory we needed more in my opinion. Maybe, just maybe he’ll be there still, but doubt it unfortunately. I watched a lot of Florida State the last almost 2 years for my boy Jameis, but Darby is a nice corner even though P.J. Williams was the #1 CB. I still was hoping and praying for us to trade up for Jameis, but we just don’t do that sort of thing… Eric Kendricks I like also, dude is a beast and looks like he can play both inside and outside! Looking forward to round 2 and 3 tomorrow God Willing!

6. By Eazy E on May 1, 2015 | Reply

but I doubt it unfortunately, my bad Darren! I wish we could edit our posts even after sending it in..

7. By SteveG on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Having a premier O line will be

1. A huge change in culture as well as a relief for the many (many) shell shocked citizens that have manned our QB spot in the past/future few years.

2. A running back’s opportunity to get the yards to get paid..(first you get the yards, then you get the money..then you get the POWER!!)

3. FUN to watch a Card team road grade their way to victory on the way to the SB!!!

M. Bidwill, S. Keim and BA et al. have this team in a place I have truly never seen before, a force to be reckoned with every week…We have a tough schedule this year, but not quite as tough as it is for the teams that have to face US!!!

GO CARDS!!

8. By Smack28 on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Wasted pick… This does not improve the team. With three pressing needs at Pass Rusher, CB, and RB, how does this really help from day one? The great equalizer is experience, and Bobbie Massie has that. As for sticking to the board, most draft experts agreed that picks 11 and on were all ranked about the same, so picking for need should trump rankings this year. If the excuse is players remaining, look at the possibilities. Randy Gregory was and still is available (Denver was not afraid of Shane Ray, and his issue seemed far more of a current problem); Tevin Coleman would have made sense provided the need for a between the tackles runner; and Bryon Jones was taken a few picks later by the Cowboys that would have also helped a position in need at CB. Like the pick of Michael Floyd a couple years ago, the decision to upgrade a position that seemed secure will haunt them later. When Gurley and Mason come to town as well as Seattle and SF, let’s see how bad they slash this defense. The only thing that will make me feel better at this point is to see a trade of sending Massie and our second round pick to the Vikings for AP!!

9. By georgiebird on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Don’t like the pick but you never know. DJ is a very young guy only 21 years 4 months so he wasn’t dominating guys as a 24 year old.
    But Cardinals’ fans and the FO have to realize that Palmer went down in a non-contact injury- CP’s injury would have happened if he had an All Pro OL in front of him.
    Right now, the Cards’ have a two year window to catch the Seahawks; that is while CP is the QB. And the Rams and 49ers have helped themselves.
    Just don’t see this pick at all- hope I’m wrong.

10. By Marlin on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Smart move. Good pick. When we had a bad OL, everyone said we needed to address it. Now that we address it, everyone says its not exciting. This OL will make everybody look good. Very smart. I like it.

11. By CORMAC on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Scherff was my dream pick, but D.J. was high on my list , although I was thinking we had a chance a BUD for a second!! While I was watching the draft, and saw the remaining men available the choice for me was also DJ. I was happy we got him!

O.M.G!!! I was hoping we get Eric Kendricks from the start, [Crossing fingers]
    not a first round guy, but someone who will play from the start.

I also really like Coleman, Jay Ajayi “THE J TRAIN” Yeldon ,Abdullah and Jonshon. They all shine. These are the four dream picks, but I doubt they slip to the Cardinals. ONE can HOPE though!!!

Check this kid ERIC out. ERIC THE VIKING !!!He is like a young Karlos Dansby. pure instincts. You cant teach that….

ERIC Kendricks

JAY AJAYI the J TRAIN !!!!

Tevin Coleman

TJ YELDON

Ameer Abdullah

Duke Johnson

BUT…

La’el Collins Offensive line is the best available and actually higher on my board that DJ. Should we roll the dice? He is not even a suspect…….. The murder of his exgirlfriend has put a damper on his draft stock.

He is a FIRST ROUND draft pick that has fallen…… Pick it up.

A quote from NFL.com story

Baton Rouge (Louisiana) Police told NFL Media on Tuesday that they have been in contact with Collins’ agent to schedule a meeting concerning what he might know to help them concerning the death of Brittany Mills. Collins is not considered a suspect in Mills’ shooting death, which occurred on Friday.

“He’s not a suspect, but we are seeking to question him,” Coppola told Breer Tuesday. “He knew the victim. We’re not sure of the exact nature of the relationship. But for the investigation and through the investigation, we’re exhausting all avenues to locate this young lady’s killer.”

Collins is not the only person they have reached out to regarding this ongoing investigation, Coppola told NFL Media. Coppola emphasized that Collins is not being singled out and that this is standard procedure regarding an investigation of this nature.

FULL link

12. By much.faster on May 1, 2015 | Reply

hmm, don`t know, if i`m disapointed or excited about humphries. but if he plays as he promisses, the Oline should be able to hold palmer healthy.

now on to the second day, and i hope, the picks will be at least of the same quality.

13. By Dave Chaney on May 1, 2015 | Reply

I was a little disappointed that the Cards didn’t take Gregory with their pick, but quickly realized this is a player with a lot of excess baggage and the team doesn’t need that type of distraction at this point in time. When I read more about Humphries, it became clear that Steve Keim is a man with an eye on the big picture and the Cards are no longer a team that needs to focus on that one guy who can turn them into a winner. Humphries not only will generate some competition on the OL, he also gives them more depth and options for next season and beyond. Looking forward to the rest of the draft and see what kind of magic we can pull off.

14. By Kevin S Mesa on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Areg —

Watched Mike Mayock’s mock draft the night before the draft on NFL Network. He had the Cardinals taking Humphries, so it’s not like it was an “out there” pick that no one was talking about.

15. By Jon on May 1, 2015 | Reply

No surprise here, nor there should by any knowledgeable football fan.

As demonstrated by every Super Bowl Championship team, you can never win a Super Bowl unless your offensive and defensive lines are top ten which then enable the QB and the rest of the “skilled” position players to do their jobs.

And now you can understand while the Dolphins never seriously contended last season even though Tannenhill passed for over 4,000 yards and why Cutler will always be viewed as a crummy QB until the Bears ever get serious and upgrade their offensive and defensive lines.

16. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Arians said in radio interview that Humphries and Ray “weren’t close” on AZ board, when asked if dissapointed Denver traded up to get him…

17. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2015 | Reply

DTL —

RE: Weren’t close

True. But he also didn’t say who was higher.

18. By Richard L on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Hate this pick. A weak OL draft, we need DE, ILB and OLB and we draft OT Humphries!! Come on SK I thought you were smarter than that. Once again we left talent on the board and took another Levi Brown. Evidently the best player available approach to the draft doesn’t apply to the Cards.

19. By Eric G on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Like the pick, best needed player IMO. It’s not sexy, but he was absolutely needed. Mayock has him #3 tackle, #2 was drafted and #1 is being questioned for the murder.

All the elite players were gone, that’s the problem when you have a good team that picks 24. I look for LB in second round, RB in third.

20. By Michael Williams on May 1, 2015 | Reply

I’m really disappointed in a lot of my fellow AZ fans. Our defense, the way it is now, is already good enough to be in the top half of the NFL. Has everyone already forgotten about last season? It wouldn’t have mattered if we had Lawrence Taylor in his prime chasing after opposing quarterbacks, we still would’ve lost to lowly Carolina in the playoffs. And why? Because we lost our first two quarterbacks to injury for lack of protection. All of the pass rushers, corner backs, and running backs in the world won’t matter if we can’t keep Palmer on his feet and healthy ALL year. This is a quarterbacks league folks, and if you don’t have a healthy or decent starting quarterback, your team isn’t going anywhere. I applaud them for making a concerted effort to keep Palmer protected this year. Him staying healthy is the BIGGEST key for us to have a deeper run in the playoffs this year.

21. By John The Draft Guy on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Truth be told, Keim got beat by Denver.

Sitting at 24 and having a shot at a top 10 talent, only to have Denver jump you and grab him, shows we just aren’t pro active.

Denver won. Elway saw his guy, thought the cards were going to take him and made his move.

Keim had a chance to move up. He said it himself. Giving up a 5th rounder is a small price to get a pass rusher with top 10 talent. (all the other jump ups were for 5th rounders)

By the way, did you see the tape of Ray blowing by Humphries?

Is Humphries a bad pick? No. He will battle Massie and eventually take over the RT spot. In my rankings a couple of days ago, I said don’t be surprised if the cards take a RT (I had La’Al Collins as the 24th ranked guy)
    But that was because I thought Ray would fall to the teens.

Getting a round one RT, when you have a decent RT, did not make the cards a better team in 2015. Maybe down the line, but down the line, who is going to be your QB?

That was weak to let Elway beat you.

22. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2015 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Jump ups

Not true. Chargers paid a fourth and a fifth next year to move up two spots.

And while no one knows exactly what the Cards were thinking, you seem awful sure they would have taken Ray. I am not that sure. Dupree maybe.

23. By John The Draft Guy on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Well we have round 2 to look forward to.

Keim has grabbed Minter and Niklas the last two second rounds. The jury is still out on Niklas, but I think I have seen what I need to out of Minter.

With Cooper ( 2 starts in two years) and Bucannon (still not sure if he can play safety since he hasn’t done it at all for the cards) , he needs to make one impact draft pick in the first two rounds in 3 years, doesn’t he?

24. By davemaham on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Maybe it’s just me. But Arians looked disappointed with this pick. Everything seemed awkward, from the press conference to the war room handshake with Kiem. He was not himself.

25. By BigAL on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Kevin S Mesa
    Areg —

Good call saw Mayock’s Mock on Wed also…many of the NFL Network analysts
    actually had us taking DJHump! So go to NFL.com & look up the 1st Rnd Grades
    given by their analysts…Mayock/Daniel Jeremiah as well as Mouchy & others gave SKeim & the Cards an A+ Grade! The only A+ I saw! Although I haven’t yet looked at the AFC grades…I’m guessing NE Pats got an A+ too…

26. By jeffgollin on May 1, 2015 | Reply

I think most fan criticism of the pick has less to do with drafting for the position (OL) than it does with the choice of Humphrey himself because we’re apparently rolling risky dice on his huge upside. There’s also his less-than-elite rating by several draft guides (Out of four I looked at, one had him ranked 6th best tackle but another had him 20th, another had him ranked #11 and the fourth didn’t list him at all).

Now this may have little to do with how good he’ll turn out to be, but it may be the reason for a lot of the fan-criticism. With much hope (& faith in Steve Keim) I view the selection the same way I view hospital food: “nourishing but not very tasty.”

27. By azdesertrat1953 on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Tevin Coleman RB
    Runs left side, runs right side, up the gut either side of center it don’t matter.
    Yes I like this kid, he has been fighting his whole life.
    Born a premature baby with only 20% chance of living, this guy is a Fighter.

D.J. Humphries good pick. The O-Line has Never looked so good.

GO CARDS!!!

28. By John The Draft Guy on May 1, 2015 | Reply

One more thing on the Humphries pick and failure to trade up for Ray;

You also will not convince me that the cards could not have found a RT like Rob Havenstein or Donovan Smith in rounds 2 or 3. Veldheer is still young and should be the LT for many years to come. So we spent a first round pick on a LT who will be a RT? I will tell you right now, Havenstein will be every bit as good as a RT.

Kind of sounds like last year when we passed on Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) to take a safety who played linebacker.

29. By jeffcardinalfan on May 1, 2015 | Reply

I firmly believe n taking best player available unless there is an extreme need(read as cards were desperate 4 lt for years n didn’t draft or sign one until last year.) im ok with Humphries-wud like to no how close he n Malcolm brown were graded. glad we passed on Gregory and I still think that markus golden-who mite b there n 3rd rd-will b better nfl player than shane ray. I live in Missouri n saw every snap that both these guys played their entire careers.

30. By Richard L on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Here are 3 Picks in the First round chosen after the Cards 24th pick that were passed up for Humphries. What was SK thinking. i rated these all higher in ability and position need to OT and Humphries.

25. Carolina: Shaq Thompson, LB, Washington
    31. New Orleans: Stephone Anthony, LB, Clemson
    32. New England: Malcom Brown, DT, Texas

31. By Dynosoar on May 1, 2015 | Reply

JTDG,

my thought on Humphries over Ray, the Cardinals have been burned by Washington and Dwyer recently – off field issues have hurt us Big Time.

I listened to Keim and he said over and over how good a character Humphries was. It’s possible and probable that character matters to this organization (another reason we’ll probably never see Peterson carrying the rock beside Ellington).

This team may be playing tough football, but they don’t seem to like off field issues. I recall Arians stating Dwyer was the biggest loss to the team last season.

To our Cardinals character matters.

Just my two cents.

32. By Richard L on May 1, 2015 | Reply

JTDG,

I agree with you, Elway showed he was the better draft GM than SK.

33. By Brian on May 1, 2015 | Reply

The Cardinals have moved on from Massie. He’ll compete with Humphries this year but I feel he will be on a very short leash. He’s going to look for money on the market after next season as the Cardinals have already said they won’t extend him right now. What do we do when Massie walks? This was a pick made w/ the future in mind so we aren’t scrambling to replace a RT w/ a rookie or subpar FA in 2016. If DJ plays as well as he projects, then we can look at what Dallas did w/ their OL this year and see what we have to look forward to. Except we’ll have a good defense. It’s not like a solid pass rusher has never been had in the 2nd or 3rd round. Hopefully we strike gold again w/ Woodley and Okafor continues to improve and get to the QB like he did last season. That way we can develop a 2nd or 3rd round pass rusher.

34. By John The Draft Guy on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Bronco trade more of a comparison. Two 5’s. But even giving a 4 this year and a 5 next year to finally get that elusive pass rusher that Keim and Graves just can’t seem to find is a small price.

Whether they liked Dupree or Ray better, they failed to make a move up to land a top tier guy. This failure is coupled with the fact that the cards have not been able to draft a quality pass rusher since Simeon Rice.

So, maybe another aging vet (Woodley) can be reborn for a year or two like Berry or Abraham, but this, along with QB has long been a failure of this organization.

You can give me thumbs down, but you can’t argue the fact that this organization has failed to draft pass rushers.

And yes, they have won 10 games last year without one, but how many times did Bowles have to send the house and leave those CBs on an island. News flash, PP struggled at times and Cro is in NY.

35. By much.faster on May 1, 2015 | Reply

@desertrat

i hope for coleman, but as with johnson in the first, i doubt he will be available.
    but, there are enough others. the same for cbs, maybe marshall would be interesting, a versatile player, could help at QB and CB.

and imo a ilb shouldn`t be up before the fourth of fifth pick, with foote we need not starters, we need deepth.

36. By krehbieo14 on May 1, 2015 | Reply

The Cardinals stayed true to their mission in the the draft. Arians has repeatedly indicated that he is satisfied with his current core of players. There was no panic to reach (trade up) for a pass rusher, especially one with off-field issues. Humphries was high on the Cards board and the message delivered is that we need to protect our quarterbacks better and generate a productive running game. Keim made his decision from a position of strength and was not out-gamed by anyone. Most of the respected football analysts viewed Humphries as solid pick by the Cardinals. Congratulations Bruce and Steve.

37. By John The Draft Guy on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Dynosoar,

You seem like a nice guy, but I’m not drafting you🙂

I want my pass rushers a little crazy. If a young LT became available for the draft, I would fall over myself to draft the guy.

But even with that, Dupree has no off the field issues. Keim said he had a chance to move up but passed.

So, yeah, we got a back up RT who will battle to get the starting spot, while Woodley will bring in his 9 sacks total the last 3 years into the year as our premiere pass rusher.

38. By John The Draft Guy on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Also,

My objection isn’t to Humphries. I am sure he will grow into a good RT.

My objection is missing on a possible impact player. There are very few of those in each draft. Guys like Beasley, Gurley, and Ray can have instant impacts on their teams. You can’t keep missing on that year after year.

39. By Whitey on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Great value pick. Look at the Cowboys playoff drought for years going for the flashy picks until they finally focused on their O-line and now they have a balanced offense, had the Number one Running back and made the playoffs.

It’s a boring pick, but if Veldheer gets hurt we’ll be praising him for making it. Also Massie is a free agent next year, so this gives Humphries one year to compete and grow into the position.

I was really hoping that Dupree or Ray would be there, but Keim values his picks and obviously they had Humphries rated high enough they weren’t willing to trade up to get one of the edge rushers.

There are still some talented edge rushers in this class that will hopefully fall to the Cards, but Keim and Arians are sincere in saying they don’t feel they have a dire need.

Even without the draft they could still be targeting guys as free agents before the season starts like Dwight Freeny who was one of the top pass rushers last year.

If they don’t draft a running back they could pick up Steven Jackson as their short yardage guy.

Both of those moves would be classic Steve Keim moves that could push us over the top in addition to whatever happens in the draft.

Best player available is a must for long term success.

40. By Duncan on May 1, 2015 | Reply

I like Humphries a lot but it just seems like a bit of a waste of Bobby Massie.

Is there any chance Massie could move around? Maybe center like Cam Erving?

41. By Dynosoar on May 1, 2015 | Reply

JTDG,

3 bodies ago I may have been someone to draft, but that was three bodies ago.

It would be interesting to know if Keim could have moved up to land Dupree (I heard him in the video say they could have moved up or down, but chose to stay at 24, but didn’t say who or what the offers for trades were.)

I would have liked to have landed Gordon or Dupree, but if Palmer was not avoiding a pass rusher, would he have gone down the second time? If Stanton wasn’t sacked, how deep into the playoffs would we have gone. So I’m good with Humphries.

42. By Dynosoar on May 1, 2015 | Reply

JTDG (and anyone else),

on a different note,

1. what are your thoughts on Sean Mannion? On him in general and specifically on him vs. Logan Thomas?

Would it be wise to draft Mannion and if yes, what round would you target him?

I ask because I’ve seen his name on our boards here many times over the last few weeks.

2. Which RB(s) do you like who are still available? And would you take a pass rusher or a running back first?

(I don’t believe off field issues should deny anyone from being drafted, Our beloved Honeybadger is a fine example that off field issues can become strengths, but it does appear it was a consideration.)

43. By Mark in Chandler on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Group Think:
    One caution fans need to have is not to get caught of in media-twitter group-think. Most fans do not take the time to watch much game film. Even among those of us where watching film is a year-round obsession (my wife would call it a sickness) there is still differences of opinion. What normally happens is some pundit, who is scrambling to come up with some new content to tweet or to mock about, decides who the Cards should draft. If he is a significant talking head then others hear it and the notion gets echoed. Maybe Arians, in responding to some question, notes he wouldn’t mind a long corner and suddenly we all are looking at 6’2″ corners. Fans start making conclusions on what to expect in the draft based on taking heads who really don’t know what the Cards think nor are they particularly skilled at grading talent. (yes. You can be on the TV and not know what you are talking about). Fans need to be careful not to get caught up in the group-think that starts to invade the industry.

Have you ever wondered why in February all of the so-called experts have a certain list of players in the 1st round but by the end of April half of those names have changed grade or are no longer there? No football has been played in that time. How could they change the grade? The answer is because the talking heads start talking to scouts and realize they are not close, so they start moving players up and down in grade. Players do not “move up and down” the teams draft boards. That is not how it works. That is only in the media world.

In that spirit, Jalen Collins never was that good. He is athletic but he has horrible technique. He wasn’t even the regular starter for LSU. Plus he has off-the-field issues. Byron Jones is athletic and not bad as a corner but he is a 2nd rounder. if not for his combine he not be known. Eric Kendricks is solid but not 1st round talent. I see him going mid 2nd to mid 3rd. Bud Dupree is a physical freak but stops his feet whenever gets stalled by OT and looses in hand fights, has no real moves and is surprisingly non-physical in the run game. Good but not worth paying too much for, Share Ray is kind of the opposite. He is not physically dominant but wins on effort and technique- but then there is the marijuana arrest. Not worth mortgaging the farm, especially if you had already hurt rumors.

Names that have talent that have not gotten a lot of press: Grady Jarret-DE (Clemson), Preston Smith-OLB (yes I know he was a DE for Miss St. and was in DL group at combine but he plays well in space and practiced as an OLB at Pro day.) I think he would be a great fit for the Card’s hybrid scheme. Stephone Anthony. I had him graded as the best pure ILB in the draft. Not surprised Saints took him in the 1st round. I was worried he would fall to the 49ers in the 2nd.

my 2 cents

44. By Andy on May 1, 2015 | Reply

John The Draft Guy,

“You also will not convince me . . . ”

Yeah, I’ve noticed that about you.

45. By Coach K on May 1, 2015 | Reply

I am shocked that a few of you guys are negative bout the pick of Humphries. Are you guys serious. Keim got the #13 guy on his board. He was sure the Saints were going to take him ten picks earlier. This is clearly the most athletic tackle on the draft. Not even up for discussion. He was absolutely the BEST tackle.

You have to get the BPA. Especially in a position we needed to fill. Massey is FA next year and Sowell is not a starter. This was a brilliant pick.

Missing out of Ray was a good thing. Bud Dupree would have been a better choice. Grabbing this tackle is going to give us the best Offensive line in our division. Especially if w can get a quality Center in round 4 or 5.

Love this pick.

Without a strong offensive line, no other position matters!

46. By cards62 on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Funny post to DTL Darren

Guys and Gals most of us do not hate the pick, but we thought defense here would have given us a better shot at a difference maker. I have been probably the biggest critic of our offensive line over the years and wanted to see us draft OL this year, but not with our first pick with who was on the board. Picking up Iupati is a proven first round draft choice so I was hoping for defense. I am worried about our defense especially the front 7, so moving on to the second round I am hoping for a LB and third round hoping Coleman RB from Indiana will be there for us, and then mostly defense with the rest of our picks.

Wanted Gurlly in round one but he was taken. (Sorry Scott would have loved Peterson to if price was not too much, but several people reporting Vikings just will not trade him, cant say I blame them.

JTDG AND COACH K looking forward to your take on the draft when it is over and how you think the 4 teams in the West did. I really liked Cleveland’s first 2 picks in the draft.

Go Cards and enjoy the draft and lets us have some fun playing GM for a couple of days. Have to take the boys camping tonight so will miss the draft, but will catch up with everyone tomorrow

47. By John The Draft Guy on May 1, 2015 | Reply

My goodness, stop drinking the kool aid people.

The highest rated player was not Humphries. Are you guys high?

Landon Collins is higher rated than him. So BPA would have us drafting another safety. So lets stop the nonsense of BPA.

I have Malcom Brown and Jalen Collins rated higher than Humphries also, not to mention Ray and Gregory’ s on the field ratings are much higher.

Ray’s off the field action of smoking pot is what dropped him. But he still was rated higher to me even with his issues.

Randy Moss, Warren Sapp, and Lawrence Taylor all had major issues coming into the draft and took those issues all the way to the Pro Hall of Fame.

You have a veteran team, with guys who have had similar issues who could help Ray.

I just got to keep reminding myself that these are the same people who argue that Cooper will be an all pro even though he had to switch positions and has to beat out a journeyman.

48. By georgiebird on May 1, 2015 | Reply

@ JTDG
    You have made some very valid points about our #1 draft choice and about the draft in general.. Good job.

49. By Dynosoar on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Personally, I prefer MtnDew over Kool Aid, but I am from Tennessee.

50. By Richard S on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Having topped out at flag football, not having made it even to the lingerie league, SK probably is a better judge of talent than I. Go Cards, all the way this year.

51. By Dynosoar on May 1, 2015 | Reply

cards62,

“lets us have some fun playing GM for a couple of days.”

Best Quote of the Draft. Let’s have some fun and enjoy learning about our new team.

Have a good campout, it doesn’t get much better than that.

52. By rod (Eddie Goldman RD1) on May 1, 2015 | Reply

I just think we could have drafted an OT in the second round to “compete” with Massie.

You need a four sure starter in the first round.

And again, why are people talking about a CB this early, Bethel is the guy now.

And, no to Ajay.

53. By georgiebird on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Flash to all you guys wearing the rose colored glasses:
    The Cards are trying to beat out the best team in football. We are an 11-5 team trying to get to 12 wins or more. The Humphries pick offers minimal improvement over the 2014 OL.
    Once again, if we were a 5-11 team trying to get to 8-8 and beyond, then the Humphries pick would be a solid building block. For this Cardinals team, with a QB in the latter stages of his career, the pick was not what we needed.
    SK has got to do better in the early rounds- his track record although not extensive has been spotty at best.

54. By George on May 1, 2015 | Reply

JTDG,

I feel your frustration. There were good pass rushers and I agree that is the teams biggest need. I personally do not have a problem with Humphries or trying to make the O-Line better.
    I am still optimistic when it comes to Cooper. The broken leg ruined his rookie year and the injury was still in his head last year. This year is pivotal for him to prove he was worth the pick.
    I agree to a certain extant about the character issue. If a player has great talent, certain things can be overlooked. The problem is, if it’s a situation that gets the player suspended, than what good is he to the team? AKA, D-Wash.(Great talent but not available) Those things have to be weighed and I understand that. Laurence Taylor got away with a lot of things that he would have been suspended for these days.

55. By Never Understand on May 1, 2015 | Reply

It is so funny to me the way these arguments play out. “I have this guy rated higher,” “we should trade up,” and on and on. There is only one sure thing in the NFL draft and that is that at least 50% of the players never pan out.

These are lottery picks, guys, nothing more. The fact is that with millions and millions of dollars invested in scouting and combines and technology, more than half the picks fail. It’s a disgusting percentage considering the effort involved and one that would be unacceptable in any other business.

We get infatuated with individual players and think we know they will be special but the odds are not with any individual in the draft. Even last night, both ESPN and NFL Network reported the past history of QB taken 1 and 2 and how one of them has always failed, often in spectacular fashion. Also admit to yourselves the truth that not a single player in this draft is good enough for the NFL the way they are. All of them must develop which brings a load of intagibles into play.

When we truly accept the reality of what these lottery picks mean, then the smart move will NEVER be to trade up. The smart move in a lottery is to always maximize the opportunity, which means more picks is always better. Giving up picks to move up to take an individual player means betting your instincts against all the history and proven averages of the draft. It is inherently foolish.

Shane Ray is no more guaranteed to be an excellent player than any other player selected in that first round. In fact, there is an argument to be made that higher round picks, who succeed at a slightly higher rate than lower round picks, only do so because teams give them more playing time and stick with them longer. In essence, being picked higher become self-fulfilling.

I am sure I will get bashed as not knowing what I am talking about. I can’t imagine why the Cards would give up any picks in order to move up. Statistically, it is the worst possible move.

56. By Ottis Anderson Fan on May 1, 2015 | Reply

After watching Keim and Arians talk about Humphries and watching D.J.’s press conference in Arizona, I feel more assured about the pick. A more established, proven player (like Kendricks) would seem to have more of a chance to make an immediate impact given Humphrie’s lack of experience, but there is life after Carson Palmer and the offensive line is young. D.J., had he stayed in school for another year and did well, would likely be a top five pick next year as Keim alluded to. And there’s no way we would be in the position to be able to draft him next year if that turns out to be true. With that in mind, I think D.J. is worth the gamble. I don’t see this team being bad enough to be able to draft in the top 5-10 spots anytime in the near future, and that’s where you need to be to draft a player tagged as a franchise tackle coming out of college.

57. By William Barry on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Re: to Big Al and Krehbeio:

They make good points…I too saw mike Mayock rave about Humphries–he’s a 13 pick, and we got him @ the 24th slot. He solid, as a tackle….Also please see NFL Network piece about round 1, and Daniel Jeremiah, too, gave us a A+ for Humphries….All the negative press for this pick, forget it. Humphries is huge, and has great feet!!!!!

58. By John The Draft Guy on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Mike Jurecki tweet on side of this page;

Cards tried to trade up last night w/ the Bengals, needed to get ahead of the Steelers to take Bud Dupree. Cincy selected Cedric Ogbuehi.

Ogbuehi is coming off an injury, which made many, like myself, think he would drop to the second. So Cinncy could afford to drop to 24 and still get their guy.

Weather it was Dupree or Ray, the cards had their chance and decided not to move up and get the pass rusher they need

59. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2015 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Trade

I was told the Bengals rebuffed the Cards’ offer. Which is surprising, since, they could have had their guy at 24. Regardless, if the Bengals don’t want to trade, how is that on the Cards? Isn’t the point was they were trying to move up? Or are of of the opinion you give whatever it takes to move?

(Curious what you think that should be, too.)

60. By rod (Eddie Goldman RD1) on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Just watched the introductory press conference with DJ. I’m liking the guy!

I’m still on the fence about the pick but BA says he was the highest rated OT and the BPA at 24 so… In Cards We Trust !!

61. By Cactus jeff on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Analytics ignored again.
    Cooper too small
    Minter arms too short
    Now a 1st rnd OT who is too light. “trouble keeping weight on”.

Brutal. What is worse is he is now compounding his mistakes. The Cooper pick set this pick up. No way they can have Massie and Cooper on right side. Probably have to split Veldheer and Iupati up to protect his #1 picks with LT Humphries LG Iupati. RG Cooper RT Veldheer. BA knows this and hid his frustration but the body language doesn’t lie.

62. By azdesertrat1953 on May 1, 2015 | Reply

The Fantasy GM’s are still with us I see. Well here is something to chew on guys.

None of us or any of you, has Ever sat down and talked to any of these guys Ever.
    Now , who knows more about who to draft?

A: Those who are spending 15 minuets with these guys to get a feeling how they may work out.
    B: All those who have No Clue what they are like face to face.

Gee I wonder who would be better at picking in the draft? A or B.

GO CARDS!!!

63. By BIGAL on May 1, 2015 | Reply

JTDG
    Wow man! We get it! You wanted a premier pass rusher…I too liked Bud Dupree…
    But you of all people got to know this last week, many a draft board changed in
    hierarchy in just this last week…I mean & after all we’ve lost due “off field issues”
    Mainly DWash & a few others as well…I mean do you really want a guy who is that stupid! The week of the draft to be out all night, get pulled over for speeding as the sun is coming up, & have pot in the car??? Seriously? I don’t! And will now come into the league as part of the drug testing program! Along w/Randy Gregory! I want no part, I don’t care how good they might be!

Back to Dupree…I think we were all surprised he fell as far as he did…however,
    if he was on the radar the five teams ahead of the Steelers…Browns, Eagles,
    Bengals, Chiefs…& oh yeah the 9ers! We play 5 games vs of those 5 teams this year! Yeah really think a reasonable deal could have been achieved???

And as for you bringing in HOFers…from a different era entirely…Seriously?
    In LT’s era there was no Union, no CBA, no Shared Revenue, no league rules
    in regard to PED’s…steroids were still in the lab! And oh yeah LT had some guy,
    some disciplinarian disciple! What was his name? Oh yeah, Bill Freakin Parcells!

Think Randy Moss & Warren Sapp played about half of their careers under the new millennium NFL Rules & Collective Bargaining…And Moss had HOFER
    Cris Carter all up in his grill who learned the hard way! “Don’t do it man!” I can still hear him! And Warren Sapp was quickly enveloped by the umbrella of HOFER Derrick Brooks! Not to mention John Lynch! So don’t even go there!
    Different era entirely!

Oh, I almost forgot & as for Honey Badger…he has PP in his corner…
    (Pun intended)

Ray & Gregory will enter the league being drug tested 10-12 times/month!
    YOU REALLY WANT THAT MESS??? On top of DWash which is why we/we’re/
    you, want one sooo bad!

64. By Steve . on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Stupid Bengals, all they did was help strengthen a divisional rival by doing that.

65. By John The Draft Guy on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Didn’t Keim say he had a chance to move up?
    Since Jurecki tweeted the Bengals, I am putting two and two together that Keim had a chance to move up to the Bengals pick.

If the Bengals rebuffed the trade, who was Keim referring to when he said he could have moved up?

Whatever it takes;

No, Darren, I think you know my takes enough that you can’t give away everything to move up. If that was the case, I would have given up a bunch to go get Leonard Williams at 6. or Beasley at 8, or Gurley at 10.

But , if it was Cincy that Keim was referring to, what was required to come up? a 4? two 5″s like the broncos spent? Yes, I would have done that.

Be honest, didn’t they gamble (I think wasted) their 4th rounder last year on Logan Thomas? Would you give up Thomas and #24 to go get Dupree or Ray?

Be honest, would you give up #24 and Thomas, Stinson and Walt Powell for moving up to get Dupree or Ray? Or would you give up #24 and Watford, Taylor and Ryan Swope for a chance to move up for Dupree or Ray?

As a team gets closer to being a contender, impact players are more important than late draft picks.

66. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2015 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Trade

We’re getting wires crossed. Yes, the Cards called the Bengals to try and trade up. They were rebuffed. But you wrote it was the Cards who decided not to do it. Let’s say the Cards offered, say, a 4, and the Bengals turned them down. Would you have then offered a three? Two picks, including a four? That’s what I am asking. I don’t have a problem giving up a four. But if the Bengals didn’t want to move, not sure what else you can do.

67. By brinnc on May 1, 2015 | Reply

One last time!! All the Coleman/RB/Indiana is a CLONE of Ellington!! That means heis running style is exactly the same, which means Coleman is NOT a power runner, will be prone to injury trying to play downhill power runner (just like Ellington!!! The type of RB that Coleman is, is exactly what the Cardinals DONT need!!! Is he a good running back? Yes, just like Ellington is…good, but not a feature back, doesnt run north/south, not a between the tackles move the chains type RB that the Cardinals lack!!!! Coleman is Ellington’s TWIN!! Idont know how else to put it, he is exactly the type of RB that the Cardinals already have, and do NOT need any more of!!!! Ajai/Boise St, Johnson/Northern Iowa, Cobb/Minnesota, even Johnson/Miami (though kind of small) is the type of RB we NEED, not a Coleman type!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

68. By John The Draft Guy on May 1, 2015 | Reply

azdesertrat;

FYI, I have had the chance to coach players who went to college and the Pros. As a young coach in Texas, The head coach loved the way I broke down film and put me in charge of scouting reports and scout defenses

When Jeff Fisher got the job in Tennessee, a scout with the cowboys went with him. He was a friend of a fellow coach and we argued all the time about players. When he took the job, he offered to have me meet Jeff Fisher to talk about being a scout.

I turned it down and went into a different direction because I had two young girls and couldn’t see myself on the road all the time.

So, no, I am not at the level or experience as the people in that room, But, I would say, It isn’t the first time I looked at film and I have a little bit of an idea of what I am looking at.

I also would say, my record of picking players on this blog is pretty good.

69. By John The Draft Guy on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Wires crossed;

Didn’t Keim say he had a chance to move up? I would guess that move up price wasn’t out of line. That may not have been with the bengals. I’m not sure who he is referring to, but he said he could have moved up.

Keim didn’t say he could have moved up but the price was way out of line. At least not from anything I read. So, simple deduction has me believing 1) Keim had a chance to move up. 2) the price wasn’t way out of line. 3) the team could have been the bengals.

But to answer your question, no I would not have given up a 3 for Ray or Dupree. On the flip side, I would have given up a 3 or even a two to go get Beasley or Gurley. (not that there was any chance to do that- I am not saying there was any chance to get in the top 10).

My point is, if Gurley fell to 18 or Beasley, yes I would give a 3. Dupree and Ray, I would have given a 4 and 5 to grab them.

I get your point. Who knows what the bengals were asking. I can tell you, without a doubt, the Lions wanted two 5’s for the 23rd pick to land Ray. And yes, I would have done that.

70. By John The Draft Guy on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Big Al,

Let me clarify;

I wanted an impact player at 24. (Gurley, Beasley or Armstead) not necessary a OLB.

When Ray and Dupree were within reach, I would have liked to move up and get that impact guy.

I actually said 3 days ago on this board that a RT might be our pick. It isn’t the pick that upsets me. It is the fact that we had a chance to do better and address a weak spot of the cards since Simeon Rice.

In the long run, Humphries will be a good pick. I like this pick much better than the Cooper disaster 2 years ago. It just goes to the good, better, best motto.
    He is a good pick. Could we have done better?

71. By Scott H on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Well, if nothing else, I am getting some real amusement / satisfaction out of the Eagles failure to get Mariotta and the fallout from it. It is being reported from SOOO many sources that the Eagles offered multiple picks AND multiple players. And the players have been named by these different sources. Kinda awkward, huh? But Chip Kelly is denying that any of these players were offered and it is looking like he is lying out his you-know-what. I swear, I think this guy is a snake. Philly loved him at first ( then again, after all those years of Andy Reid, that is NOT a surprise ) but this honeymoon has ended real quick.

Meanwhile, they are now also stuck with Sam Bradford at QB. Shoot, they were better off with Nick Foles! He is a decent QB and at least he can get on the damn field. I think this Sam Bradford thing was a huge gamble that they have now lost. I think they believed they were gonna be able to use Bradford to move up to get Mariotta and it didn’t happen. And all of this after they lost McCoy and Maclin???

Not to mention the several players who have been named as guys they were ready to give up in a trade, who are now still there??? Man, it’s feeling pretty ugly out here! And I absolutely LOVE it!

72. By SteveG on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Funny really…We have a self glossed fella whining about Keim’s supposed ‘weakness”….I seem to recall the same fella making the same empty mouthings at the last trade deadline…same position…same spiel “I know better than…”…But then suddenly the guys got a little healthier and we suddenly had LOTS of sacks and pressure…..

It’s ALMOST as if Keim just might have a SLIGHTLY better grasp on the squad than a wannabe..a SLIGHTLY deeper insight…

But Keim is unlikely to “self gloss” like a fool….How weak is THAT?

73. By brinnc on May 1, 2015 | Reply

Ajai/Boise St may be there at #23 in second round for thecCardinals!!! Dolphins and Bills worry me a bit but we may end up with our RB!!

74. By Dr. G. on May 1, 2015 | Reply

I just do not get it…trade down to get more camp bodies, and then pick a guy at #58 who is rated to be a 5th rounder…coulda got him any time…no more from me until much later….this defies explanation…

75. By John The Draft Guy on May 1, 2015 | Reply

SteveG,

Are you trying to take a shot at me?

The only problem is, I was right at the trade deadline.
    Ayers went on to get 4 sacks for the Pats and played inside and outside for them. He was in on the tackle of Beastmode at the 1 yd line, that set up the pick to win the superbowl

So, yes, your comment is weak because you are wrong.

76. By CreditCard on May 1, 2015 | Reply