Keim: No Spielman talk, and “21 players strong”

Posted by Darren Urban on April 30, 2015 – 8:47 am

The last time Steve Keim talked to Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman was at the March NFL meetings here in Arizona, the Cards’ GM said this morning on the “Doug and Wolf” Show on Arizona Sports 98.7. Given that Spielman has repeatedly said he will not be trading running back Adrian Peterson — which is why the question was asked and who floats through every interview these days with Cards’ decision-makers, whether he is named or not — that gap makes sense.

Trying to get at an answer and trying to avoid Keim having to tamper, Keim was also asked questions in different ways:

Would you feel comfortable drafting a 30-year-old running back with your first pick?

Keim chuckled at that one. “You’re not going to trap me that way.”

The follow-up: Is a running back that age worth a first-round pick?

“That’s tough to answer, and I’m certainly not going to jump into it,” Keim said.

In context, it felt a lot more like Keim was trying to avoid any accusation of tampering than providing comments with hidden meaning, but that’s my opinion. My thoughts on the subject haven’t changed: I don’t see Peterson playing anywhere but Minnesota in 2015.

As for the rest of the draft, Keim said there have been some players who have been “weeded out in the process” of draft meetings and won’t be options for the Cards because of off-field issues. Interestingly, with the Cardinals picking at No. 24 overall, Keim also said he thinks the draft is about “21 players strong” with first-round grades — which keeps both trading up and trading down options depending on who is around. Beyond those 21, Keim said players might be more high-second-round pick-types, but that doesn’t mean they can’t make an immediate impact for the Cardinals.

Tags: , ,

21 Responses to “Keim: No Spielman talk, and “21 players strong””

1. By carlo milano on Apr 30, 2015 | Reply

darren which players u like of this draft
    i guess u watched some of them,i dont ask u about our potential pick,just your 3 favourite players of this draft
    dont hate me please

2. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2015 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: Favorite players

No hate here. But honestly, I do not know. I’d love for this team to get a pass rusher. Is Beasley, Harold, Ray that guy? No idea.

3. By sbrown on Apr 30, 2015 | Reply

interesting comments from SK, that they have 21 players with First Round grades, but the Cards pick at 24 ??? Now we wait until tonight, about 7:40 pm to see who this shakes out for the Birds… I can’t wait Good Luck SK bring us some great players from this years Draft who can help the Cards go to SB 50 !

4. By Dobie on Apr 30, 2015 | Reply

T J Yeldon Alabama looks good to me and Tevir Coleman and Washington will be back

5. By gil on Apr 30, 2015 | Reply

I think its better to draft a younger,cheaper RB than a,brand name expensive one
    its time the fanz give up the idea of AP coming.. its not gonna happen. This GM is too good in moving things around for the Cards benefit. He doesnt want to hurt the future. I still think they take a qb somewhere in the next 3 days.

6. By Richard L on Apr 30, 2015 | Reply

SK comments make me think even more that the Cards will trade down for additional picks. Interesting approach on Peterson not wanting to be accused of tampering. Sounds like trade talks for Peterson have taken place to me.

7. By Mike in Gilbert on Apr 30, 2015 | Reply

If the cards have pegged 21 guys as 1st rounders, and have pick 24… it’s highly likely one of those 21 will be available, since odds are slim that the other 23 teams ahead of them, have the same 21 pegged as 1st rounders…. there’s always a few teams that make a reach based on need, not player ability…

8. By Dr. G. on Apr 30, 2015 | Reply

Mike in Gilbert…. Very astute observation indeed on the first 21. I have already posted that we need to get a player that can contribute right away instead of just filling up the camp and hoping. #24 can bring a very good starting player if Keim will “just do it.” Smoke and Mirrors is SOP for GMs during the draft, huh? Tactics, man, tactics..!

An Adrian Peterson deal seems impossible unless it has already been executed behind the scenes. Waiting until you are nearing your pick is too late with all the details such as AP re-doing his deal to make it reasonable… be well…

9. By SCarolinacard on Apr 30, 2015 | Reply

Getting AP would payoff now, if we’re talking about a Superbowl run this year. He probably has at least 2 good seasons left.

10. By rod (Eddie Goldman RD1) on Apr 30, 2015 | Reply

Here is a link to local radio interviews with Darren, Steve K and Michael B.

I love how MB and SK are always complementing other people on their staff.

You should bookmark the side because they interview every week after start of season.

11. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 30, 2015 | Reply

21 players sounds right. As I said in my ratings a couple of days ago, to me there is very little between some of the lineman and WRs. You are not going to convince me the Perryman is heads and shoulder ahead of Strong.

I think that is why you see mocks with different players in the bottom half of the draft, because it is tough to figure who those last 10 players will be.

With Gregory and Ray having their issues, it will be interesting to see who those last 10 picks will be.

For those wanting to trade down, in theory, it sounds good. But if the 35th player is rated similar to the 22nd player, as Keim has indicated, who is trading up? Unless there is that special player there, the cards aren’t going to be able to trade out.

12. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 30, 2015 | Reply

Of course, your title Darren could be code. “21 players Strong”

Let’s see, Jaelen Strong wore #21. hmm.

OK people, the cards are not going to take Strong in round 1. It is just a joke.

13. By krehbieo14 on Apr 30, 2015 | Reply

I have a feeling this is going to be a wild and crazy draft ride! I’m anticipating some elite NFL player movement in trades and a lot of draft position shifts. Should be exciting to watch it all unveil.

14. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 30, 2015 | Reply

My draft day mock;

1) Shane Ray OLB
    2) Cedric Ogbuehi OT
    3) Jay Ajayi RB
    4) Ali Marpet C/G
    5) Tre McBride WR
    6) Jake Ryan ILB
    7) Zac Hodges OLB

15. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2015 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Mock

You missed a seventh-round pick.

16. By Big Ken on Apr 30, 2015 | Reply

La’el Collins with one of the Cardinals 7th round picks. Take a chance.

17. By Andy Kw on Apr 30, 2015 | Reply

Mr Shane Ray, we’d be thrilled to have you here.

18. By shannon robinson on Apr 30, 2015 | Reply

Thanks John for the selections, here’s mine : I predict a trade down for openers AND we still get Eli Harold #1 plus an extra 3rd Rd pick!
    2) Tevin Coleman RB
    3) Xavier Cooper DT
    3) Nick Marshall CB
    4) Ali Marpett OC/OG
    5) Blake Bell TE
    6) Jake Ryan ILB
    7) JJ Nelson WR/KR/PR
    Mr. Irrelevant : Devin Mahina TE

19. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 30, 2015 | Reply

Heck who knows who will be the other 7th round pick?

Truthfully, most mocks I do only go 3-4 rounds.

20. By Byron Jones on Apr 30, 2015 | Reply

Dear Mr. Keim,

Pick me at #24 and you will see your next “best CB” ….I have some tips for PP also. I would love to play for the awesome Cardinals, and bring freakish skill numbers.

Sincerely,

Byron Jones

21. By Dr. G. on Apr 30, 2015 | Reply

Let’s get it on gang…. no more mocks; the real deal is on stage now….

Vic Beasley, Melvin Gordon, or Byron Jones…..snap call…. at #24….