Louisville TE is Mr. Irrelevant

Posted by Darren Urban on May 2, 2015 – 3:42 pm

The Cardinals closed out the 2015 NFL draft with the pick of “Mr. Irrelevant,” choosing Louisville TE Gerald Christian. At 6-3 and 244, Christian is a little undersized as a true tight end but he could fit that H-back role that Bruce Arians likes to use at times. He had 32 catches for 384 yards and five touchdowns last season, and also has his degree. The Cards, with top tight ends John Carlson, Troy Niklas and Darren Fells, have an opening available on the roster.

And so the Cards go through the draft without taking an inside linebacker or cornerback.

Gerald Christian

Tags:

22 Responses to “Louisville TE is Mr. Irrelevant”

1. By jacob on May 2, 2015 | Reply

that is the cards best draft pick

2. By Steve . on May 2, 2015 | Reply

Darren: Hopefully in not taking an ILB the Cards are confident that Darryl Washington will return at some point.

3. By jacob on May 2, 2015 | Reply

A blocker first round pick realy not my plan.

4. By William Barry on May 2, 2015 | Reply

This guy has real potential, NFL network said he can the roster. He can get into space, runs good, catches great…I know he will the roster!!!!!

Great draft………….

5. By walt on May 2, 2015 | Reply

over all , a good draft by the Cards. Now we will have to wait for 2 years or so to see just how good it was.
    GO CARDINALS !!!!

6. By Black on May 2, 2015 | Reply

Didn’t any of you ney sayers read where the Cardinals free agent class helped the draft by adding depth?

Last year we were decimated by injury as the backup players played great. Now with everyone healthy it proves that everyone can play at a high level and have bought into the system.

What did you expect? All the teams that picked in the top ten will be there next year all over again. Picking in the latter part of each round get used to it; it’s a good thing.

7. By jeffy1951 on May 2, 2015 | Reply

@ jacob – your cynicism is noted…… thank heavens YOU’RE not the “planner” !

8. By georgiebird on May 2, 2015 | Reply

The best part of the post draft interviews with BASK is that BA looks like he’s lost a few pounds. If it’s true then good for him. We’d like to keep BA around for many years to come.

9. By Dynosoar on May 2, 2015 | Reply

I have been thinking a lot about who we drafted. It struck me the first round how several times in the interview Keim mentioned the high moral character and locker room presence Humphries would bring.

(Then I watched our division rivals begin drafting pass rushers)

I then listened to interviews with Keim, other analysts and read the articles by Darren and Kyle and our next two picks had one thing in common, top notch character.

(Then after we drafted Golden, Seattle’s next two picks were Guards)

It appears character and work ethic was high, very high on Steve Keim’s list of important traits (I don’t know if it was, but it appears to be).

So what is my take away, I have two.

1. Based on Washington and Dwyer’s boneheaded decisions, we lost them both last season and perhaps forever. Arian’s stated at least once that losing Dwyer was the most impactful loss of last season.

We watched Gynn Jr. do… well… close to nothing. Where was his work ethic?

I believe character and work ethics matter and we saw three examples last season why.

2. Either Keim knew who our Division rivals were going to draft and drafted a counter for them first, or he had our Division rivals reacting to him instead of acting. If what I saw was what was really happening, Keim was in control of the draft.

I’m looking forward to 6 Divisional games a lot and the season as a whole even more than I was on Wednesday.

10. By Dynosoar on May 2, 2015 | Reply

What am I surprised at this draft.

I really did expect an ILB and am surprised we didn’t take one.

I’m surprised we did draft a WR.

I never understood why everyyone thought we needed a CB as we already have a man Arian’s has declared as Cromartie’s replacement. But figured I was off base since everyone I listened to or read said the Cardinals needed a CB.

So I’m surprised I actually had a non pick right. (Other than the obvious ones like Floyd, PP and Honey Badger, I’ve never been right about a Cardinals pick.)

11. By Dynosoar on May 2, 2015 | Reply

I’m watching the video of Keim, Arians and Goodwin in their interviews regarding the draft.

How many College Team Captains did we just draft?

12. By Darren Urban on May 2, 2015 | Reply

Dyno —

RE: Captains

I’d have to look that up. I’ll try to get to it.

13. By Tyler on May 2, 2015 | Reply

Although I trust Steve Keim and Bruce Arians in doing their due diligence to spot talent in the draft, I must say this has been their most disappointing draft class to date on the surface of things…

From what I saw, the Cards had over-reached in practically most rounds. For a front-office that is such a strong proponent of the “Best Player Available” mantra, this was anything but…

One can argue that some of the players that we had drafted would have been available a round or two later, as their overall projection by draft experts dictated (ex. Markus Golden in the 2nd – high motor or not, this was NOT a value pick at this stage in the draft…especially when taking into consideration some of the other players still available – and no, I am not even referring to Randy Gregory in particular).

I am not suggesting that I am some kind of astute GM and therefore not telling Keim how to do his job – I am merely offering an opinion from a longtime fan of this franchise, one of which is of concern specifically with our selections in the later rounds. I believe the picks of DJ Humphries and David Johnson were totally solid to name a few for example.

14. By cards62 on May 2, 2015 | Reply

Finally a Cardinal pick that makes sense Mr. Irrelevant Chandler Harnish a TE from the College Cardinals. TE – Arizona – Irrelevant – nothing could be more true. Like I said before this is where TE are sent that what to keep a low profile. Chandler do not leave Louisville without your American Express Card.
    Now before you haters come out with your thumbs down I am mostly joking but just for fun tell me when was the last time a Cardinal TE lead the league in receptions or yards or if that is too hard how about the last time we had a TE in the top 10 in the league.

Will be interested in seeing our grades and hearing from Coach K and John the draft guy.

Must be honest some of our picks I like, but overall I do not like our draft.
    Worse pick is our 2nd rounder
    2nd worse pick is trading up for Rodney Gunter. Not their fault and we could have had Michael Bennett – Ohio State with our pick and kept our other draft choices.
    I will bet the first taker a steak dinner right now that Michael Bennett will have a better pro career than Rodney Gunter. JTDG can be the Judge.

Go Cards

15. By Rob on May 2, 2015 | Reply

Based on the results of our draft, I think Keim needs to get on the phone and get a deal done to bring back Lyle Sendlein for a year or two.

16. By krehbieo14 on May 2, 2015 | Reply

My hope is that the Cards look for a FA ILB to bolster the group. IMO, if they address any additional “needs”, I think Keim looks to trade or manage things through free agency. Keim stayed true to his board by drafting for best player available in the draft. I like how he and his staff picked high character players, some who have triumphed over adversity like Smokey from the 2014 draft. Makes me proud to be a Cards fan!

17. By Rob on May 3, 2015 | Reply

No linebackers in our draft? Keim better convince Larry Foote to play another year instead of coaching.

18. By Scott H on May 3, 2015 | Reply

cards62 –

You stole my thunder, buddy! Because what could possibly be more appropriate for the Mr Irrelevant pick than a TE picked by the Arizona Cardinals??? No position is more irrelevant here than TE! It’s perfect!

Hate to say it, but you could refer to ANY TE taken by the Cardinals in recent years as Mr Irrelevant.

If this kid has 32 catches, 384 yards, and 5 TD’s for THIS team in 2015, he should probably be given immediate consideration for the Ring of Honor.

No, I’m not joking.

19. By jacob on May 4, 2015 | Reply

i go not like a blocker for the first round blockers stay into
    3 round

20. By ored on May 5, 2015 | Reply

with no top ten picks and knowing the importance of sticking with the plan and not giving up precious picks to move all over the board,drafting players with character and drive,i really like our draft,hope i can say the same thing two years from now,but so far steves’ plan is working awesomly.

21. By jacob on May 5, 2015 | Reply

Re jeffy1951
    Thank god your not the cardinals spokesperson.

22. By BigBobDiesel on May 5, 2015 | Reply

Jacob
    Did you proof read your comments, or are you a child?