Palmer on field as Phase 2 begins

Posted by Darren Urban on May 4, 2015 – 11:33 am

The caveats: In Phase 2 of the offseason program, there is no defense and there are no helmets. The work is only one hour. Offensive and defensive players are working on separate fields. But in terms of good signs, Carson Palmer taking snaps as the first-unit quarterback — after tearing his ACL in November — has to be considered as one. Palmer was out there and, aside from the knee brace, didn’t look any different than last offseason as he threw passes. (We’ll have more in a homepage story later today.) This doesn’t mean Palmer is ready to play in a game, or even that he’ll be able to do a lot during OTAs or minicamp. We’ll see on all that. But it definitely underscores the optimism Palmer has for training camp.

A couple of other notes from this still-voluntary phase:

— The rookies are not here yet. They arrive Thursday afternoon with rookie minicamp starting Friday.

— The first-unit offensive line looks as expected right now: From left tackle to right tackle, it was Jared Veldheer, Mike Iupati, Ted Larsen, Jonathan Cooper, Bobby Massie.

— Not only is Kareem Martin getting work at outside linebacker, but it looks like Matt Shaughnessy working as a 3-4 defensive end after playing linebacker in 3-4 alignments previously.

— First-unit safeties on this first day were Deone Bucannon and Rashad Johnson.

PalmerPahseBloguse

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

37 Responses to “Palmer on field as Phase 2 begins”

1. By Marlin on May 4, 2015 | Reply

this is great stuff………….just paid for our season tix today !!!!

2. By sbrown on May 4, 2015 | Reply

looking good Carson, but take it easy, we will need you in Feb in SF…

3. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on May 4, 2015 | Reply

That knee brace on Carson appears to be an “anti-rotation brace”, self descriptive, not a support brace…that’s positive… wore one post surgery for 2 years and then just took it off one day and found out didn’t need it anymore, never looked back, fwiw of course

4. By LadyBird04 on May 4, 2015 | Reply

Well, Carson Palmer set his goal to get back on the field for OTA’s…now I’m sure the coaching, training and medical staff’s will continue to temper Palmer’s enthusiasm with logic and keep him from going too far too fast.

Great news that he’s out there and we will really need him this season.

5. By Johndiddo on May 4, 2015 | Reply

I love it, Bobby Massie can still assist in grooming D.J. Humphries for a year. But my top trade solution…

Cardinals trade:
    Bobby Massie, OT
    Michael Floyd, WR

Browns trade:
    Alex Mack, C
    2016 6th Round Pick

Yet Alex Mack would need to waive his trade clause.

6. By jaime on May 4, 2015 | Reply

Palmer is going to play with vengeance this year, i just feel it!! Palmer will be a top 5 QB and the Cardinals will reap victory after victory. Cant wait for it all to begin!!!

7. By rod (Eddie Goldman RD1) on May 4, 2015 | Reply

I like having Carson as our QB. Seems like he always belonged here.

8. By rod on May 4, 2015 | Reply

Oh, no more Eddie Goldman…wahhhh

9. By casht1874 on May 4, 2015 | Reply

I like the Mack trade however it would have been better if we would have gotten a WR this year to groom as well. Maybe we can sign Collins if innocent, and move Cooper to C and Collins to G. They mentioned Cooper could play C as well, plus we could have some cheap studs on the line.

10. By jlg on May 4, 2015 | Reply

anyone else not overly optimistic with palmer? two knee injuries…missed games due to his shoulder…and he’s a year older… smart to make o-line a priority..even still…can palmer last an entire season? if so, what can we realistically expect from him?

11. By azcardinal1988 on May 4, 2015 | Reply

This Season will be truly great!!!

Palmer behind Veldheer, Lupati, Larson, Cooper, Humphries, Massie, Shipley & Sowel…
    The New Tandem backfield will be explosive!!!
    Dre Elington & David Johnson prediction = Cardinals will have best Tandem running game in NFL in 2015…

Then there’s John ’12•Smoke’ Brown, Jaron Brown13 & JJ Nelson… Can you say take the Top off the Defense?
    Fitzgerald, Floyd, Carlson, Niklas, Fells & Christian will have tons of 1 on 1 opportunities!!!

12. By azdesertrat1953 on May 4, 2015 | Reply

And Tom Moore watching Carson, making sure the rust gets shook off and that stance comes back as it should.

Tom Moore is a Guru for QB’s, one of the, if not the Best in the NFL at what he does.

If I am not mistaken this year will be is his 60th training camp in the NFL, SIXTY Training Camps!
    A man does not last in this profession for sixty years and not be good at his Craft.

GO CARDS!!!

13. By tyman on May 4, 2015 | Reply

Anyone see the star wars mock draft on NFL.com.

They gave us one of the weekest picks ever. c-3po and r2 were still on the baord .

14. By Scott H on May 4, 2015 | Reply

GREAT to see Carson on the field doing anything right now. Now, can someone please tell him to sit down and take a rest! We need this guy this year, all the way through, if this team is going to compete for the division ( and beyond ). I like that he is doing some work but I almost feel like I don’t even want to see him take another snap until opening day. I think about the play he was injured on…not even being touched….just trying to juke to the side to AVOID being touched….he plants…and then just goes down. Game over, season over ( well, that actually happened after we lost Stanton, but…we know our best chance lies with Palmer ). So, it’s not like we only have to worry when he scrambles or takes a hit. It could take nothing more than one step on a drop-back or planting to throw and that could be it.

So….take it easy, Carson.

15. By zzzott on May 4, 2015 | Reply

Respect the process. One practice at a time. One day at a time. Put in the work consistently with purpose and get ready to win that first game. We’ll be FINE, one day at a time…

16. By Coach K on May 4, 2015 | Reply

Keep your eyes open for the Shaq Attack. I had mocked Shaq Riddick several times this year. I personally believe he is very similar to Randy Gregory, only Riddick does not hold the edge as well as Gregory. Both have similar size with Shaq being 15 pounds heavier and a little quicker. Shaq is a quick twitch athlete which makes him perfect for weakside outside backer.

I think the Cardinals got a steal with Shaq Riddick.

It will be fun to watch the Shaq Attack this year. Once he gets coached up on how to use his hands, look out opposing quarterbacks.

17. By ored on May 5, 2015 | Reply

with the revised oline,rbs,and healthy te’s,don’t think we’ll see carson running for yardage,must be an awesome feeling knowing that cards gave him protection and more options to succeed,just love the fact somebody sees the big picture.

18. By CORMAC on May 5, 2015 | Reply

DARREN,

Is the training camp open to the public? Or if not, when is the public allowed to watch?

19. By Darren Urban on May 5, 2015 | Reply

Cormac —

RE: Training camp

Training camp is open later this summer. But the offseason work is not open.

20. By jasonc on May 5, 2015 | Reply

I was super busy this draft season and wasn’t able to waste time researching players like I normally do, so I don’t have insight into the players we took…but, from my uninformed perspective I like our draft. Reading some of the blog comments it got pretty testy and I don’t understand why. Last season everyone said we wasted a pick on a young WR from Pittsburg State and that turned out to be a pretty good pick. It really doesn’t matter how knowledgeable you are…you’re not an expert on the draft. You aren’t in the team meetings, you don’t have coaches tape, and you aren’t privy to the interview process or any of the investigative things that the teams perform. Every year there are prospects that people say are “can’t miss”, who miss, and prospects that everyone passes on that become stars…all you can do is trust your process and the people you employ to help you make your evaluations.

It takes three years to truly evaluate a draft class and Keim’s first class is entering that third year. Regardless of how you feel about a singular pick we are entering this third year with possibly 5 starters from that class (Cooper, Ellington, Minter, Okafor, and Mathieu). Obviously injuries prevented this class from having the immediate impact that most fans covet from their young draft picks and that is a legitimate critique, but there is nothing you can do about injuries…it’s just a part of the game.

21. By Richard L on May 5, 2015 | Reply

Tyman,

I grade the Star Wars draft a D+ Left too much talent on the board for 3rd or 4th rounder.

22. By Chris on May 5, 2015 | Reply

Hey Darren,

love those pics. keep pls taking more.

23. By John The Draft Guy on May 5, 2015 | Reply

The 2015 NFL DRAFT is now in the books.

I am not a fan of our

PFF (Pro Football Focus) a well respected source for scouting has come up with their potential first round bust.

This is not my opinion, but that of the experts at PFF.

Their #1 potential Bust – DJ Humphries.

Why? He was rated the 45th best tackle when grading the film according to them. They also said he only had 5 games that were positive grades. They added in injuries that he has had. Thus the conclusion that he will Bust.

Again, not me. but PFF had this.

Their other potential Bust.
    Brandon Scherff (but they said that was more about the skins passing on the best player in the draft, Leonard Williams) ,
    Arik Armstead – Looks the part but lack of production
    Bud Dupree – Disappears in games too much
    Trae Waynes – smaller CB may struggle on outside
    There was one more that I can’t remember.

Very interesting that a third party rating group puts DJ as the biggest potential bust. Makes the Non-Trade up to get Shane Ray stand out even more.

24. By Darren Urban on May 5, 2015 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Trade up

Except I feel confident in saying they were trying to trade up for Dupree, not Ray.

25. By jasonc on May 5, 2015 | Reply

JTDG-

There are other reputable people who had DJ Humphries as the best OT in the draft and I couldn’t find a single big board that didn’t have him as a top 25 player.

Did they really say Trae Waynes was a smaller CB who would struggle on the outside? Because he is a 6’1 185 pound CB who I thought had great inline speed but wasn’t laterally quick. I think he only has the ability to play outside.

And since we’re citing PFF as source and you were critical of the Golden pick I thought you’d like to know what they wrote about him.

-Great fit for Golden and great get for Arizona. They’ve been desperate for some young and talented edge rush, and Golden finally provides it to them. He might start off life subbing in for edge setting Matt Shaughnessy in the teams nickel and dime packages, but has the potential to be more.

-New Cardinals edge rusher Markus Golden had a Pass Rushing Productivity Rating of 12.5 vs Power 5 Opponents, 4th best amongst 4-3 DE’s.

-Markus Golden played 305 run snaps last year and didn’t miss a single tackle. His Run Stop % of 8.5 was 12th among DE’s.

So, while PFF isn’t a fan of Humphries they LOVE Golden…it’s all relative. Let’s let these guys get on the field and inserted into our scheme and see what they can do. All the speculation is pointless at this point, all that matters is on field production.

26. By John The Draft Guy on May 5, 2015 | Reply

Darren

Dupree;

Who is also on their list

27. By Darren Urban on May 5, 2015 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: List

I get it. But just because someone is on PFF’s list doesn’t doom them to bust-ville automatically.

28. By BigBobDiesel on May 5, 2015 | Reply

JTDG

Just my opinion, if you listen to “experts” you are behind the eight ball.

29. By Scott H on May 5, 2015 | Reply

OK, I’m seeing that Carlson has retired from football. For what it’s worth, I think he was the best TE on the roster. And he’s now gone. So, maybe Mr Irrelevant just became MUCH more relevant for the Cardinals!

30. By BigBobDiesel on May 5, 2015 | Reply

Scott H

I’m sure it wasn’t a huge surprise to the front office that he retired. They are obviously sold on blocking tight ends which I think Niklas is. We really don’t know how good he might be because of the injury that shortened his season last year, but I could promise you that Christian will be an H-Back, not a true tight end.

31. By John The Draft Guy on May 5, 2015 | Reply

jasonc and Darren,

Brought it up because it was a main topic on Doug and Wolf today.

32. By Coach K on May 5, 2015 | Reply

JTDG

I think we are in great shape. Getting that tackle was huge for me. You know I like my quarterbacks protected in the pocket. So I’m good with D.J.

I was listening to Gambo the other day talking about our picks. All captains. All come from a challenging situation. All high character blue collar kids. I’m very impressed with these young men.

As coache’s, all we can ask for is coachable kids. That is exactly what the Cardinals got. Coachable kids.

I’m super impressed with this draft class and the free agents as well.

33. By clssylssy on May 6, 2015 | Reply

Not a bad draft but apparently a lot of people who make their living at this professionally, share my concerns that the Cards major weakness is still QB durability. I am glad that Carson is progressing on schedule (whatever that means) but hope he is careful, as it would be tragic to lose him before preseason even started because of a non-football related reinjury like what happened in St. Louis. When he’s healthy he’s great, but I’m still of the belief that we should have taken a QB, “just in case”, This may have not been the deepest class for QB talent but the Packers and Saints found guys, as well as, the Jets and Rams,and, I think just knowing that there is depth at such an important position make everyone play a little more aggressively, with confidence! It’s taken the Honey Badger two years to get past his injuries as well as Cooper, (we’ve barely seen them turn the corner) and these are are younger guys without Palmer’s history!Perhaps we’ll get REAL lucky and find an UDFA or the guy from Arizona who is going to try out, will catch on, however, after what happened last year this is a real concern. A good record seems a little less impressive if by playoffs, the team is so beatup they can’t cross the finish line!

34. By John The Draft Guy on May 6, 2015 | Reply

Coach K,

I wish I could share your optimism.

Frankly, I wasn’t as disappointed in the pick of DJ as I was knowing we could have come up to get Ray. (I understand Darren that it was Dupree they wanted, which I wouldn’t have been as thrilled about). I just brought it up, because I found it amazing he was PFF #1 bust guy.

As jasonc has pointed out, one could make an argument for Golden.

I just look at his measurements and Sam’s (who played the same spot in Missouri) and they are identical. 4.9 40’s, 6’2″ , 260. same 17 reps on bench. Scouts say they are try hard guys who don’t have a burst and both guys had great careers in college (Sam was SEC Defensive POY)

As for our round 4 guy, who knows? He was good against bad competition.He did what he needed to do. Can he step up? Hope so. But I can’t understand how anyone could say he was a good pick or bad pick. Risky pick? yes. But frankly, he is a huge mystery.

As for our round 5 guys, they are what round 5 guys should be. Projects. Lanky OLB and a speedy wr. Both players who could come on and contribute or get cut. But I have nothing bad to say about these picks.

My favorite pick, and the only one I will endorse is David Johnson. I liked him at the bowl game and came on this board and said so, only to get many thumbs down. Now Keim is amazing for picking him.

jasonc, Coach K, Darren,

Be truthful, am I wrong a lot?
    You might not agree with me and you may say just wait and time will tell, but I have been right about these drafts most of the time.

Vacarro and Jamie Collins would have helped the team so much more than Cooper and Minter.

I said, Bucannon is an in the box safety, who will struggle to cover down the field. We watched Bowles put him at ILB. Meanwhile,DLaw came on to get a couple sacks in the playoffs after he came back from his broken leg.

I watched Akeem Ayers raise the superbowl trophy as he helped the Pats win playing both ILB and OLB getting 4 sacks and helping stop beastmode at the goalline that set up the pick to win. Everyone said it wasn’t worth a late round pick. Tell that to the Pats.

I still think a Tannehill pick saves Whiz’s job.

I still would have taken the trade down with Atlanta in 2011 and taken my QB at the end of round one (I wanted Ponder #1 (gone) and Dalton #2 choice). Would have picked up another 2 and another 1 the next year. Which I wanted Ayers, Torrey Smith and Justin Houston with our next picks. Instead we took PP, Williams and Housler

I was wrong about Ponder, Mike Adams (T with Pitt) and a few others, and I hope I am wrong about missing on Ray and taking Golden.

35. By jasonc on May 6, 2015 | Reply

JTDG-

It’s not that you’re right or wrong…it’s all subjective. The problem isn’t your opinion or perspective it’s that you don’t leave much room for anyone else’s opinion or perspective.

Some things are cut and dry after the fact that you take credit for; Vaccaro over Cooper for instance. Cooper suffered a broken leg so Vaccaro has been the more productive player, but would we say the same if Cooper didn’t get injured?

You use Tannehill as the player you hang your hat on, but we never even had the opportunity to draft him. I believe you wanted us to trade up, but without a second round pick I’m not sure if we had the ammunition to pull off moving into the top 10. He already had buzz coming into the draft so it’s not like he was a dark horse and while statistically he has been impressive many believe the jury is still out if he is “the guy”.

You were consistent that you liked Collins…but then you also said this after we drafted Minter:

By John The Draft Guy on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply
    Jason,
    Thought it was funny but didnt know where it was from.
    Trade down and still land a very good LB. Now we have two 4’s and a good player.
    See, that wasnt so hard.
    Of course, those patriots keep doing it. They trade down, get multiple picks and get my guy Jamie Collins. If I didnt hate them so much I would be a fan.
    1 0 Rate This

Where is the outrage? You seem to be content that we drafted Minter and not all that upset that we missed on Collins. For the record this was my comment on the Minter pick:

By Jason on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply
    Man, not sure if I like that pick.
    0 0 Rate This

You say Bucannon was a box safety (not sure why that’s a bad word these days) and you use the fact that Bowels used him at ILB as proof of your claim. You leave out the fact that we NEEDED him to play that role after losing Washington to a year suspension. I am of the opinion that Bucannon can play the cover3 deep safety as well as man coverage against most TE’s (some of the elite guys will give him trouble…but don’t they give everyone trouble who’s manned up against them? That’s why they’re elite.) but his best role might be that of a Kam Chancellor.

I personally like your opinions and I enjoy debating with you when we do disagree so I would encourage you to keep being the same person you are. For the most part your insights are right on and you have more knowledge than the average fan.

2. May 4, 2015: Arizona Cardinals QB Carson Palmer Workout Participant
  3. May 19, 2015: Cardinals Blogs | OTAs open with a determined Palmer, and other notes