Campbell debuts on top 100 list

Posted by Darren Urban on May 6, 2015 – 8:53 pm

The NFL Network’s annual top 100 players list began to be revealed tonight, and the first 10 players included a Cardinal: Defensive end Calais Campbell.

It’s the first time Campbell has made the list (last year, Daryl Washington was named, as was Larry Fitzgerald and finally, Patrick Peterson.) There is little question the last year or two Campbell had a serious argument that he should have been in when he wasn’t. As for this year, Campbell clearly has mixed feelings.

“It’s a cool list to be on but I don’t feel they really get enough people to vote on it so I don’t know how accurate it is,” Campbell said. “But it is cool interacting with the fans and putting it on NFL Network and everyone likes to watch it. I just wish they did a better job getting more votes. Still it’s cool to be on the list and even if you are not it’s cool to watch it and see the other guys and see what people think of other players.”

It’s hard to argue the point about accuracy — as good as Colts kicker Adam Vinatieri is, can he really be considered better than Campbell? (Campbell was 99th on the list, Vinatieri is 98th.)

Tags: , , , ,

22 Responses to “Campbell debuts on top 100 list”

1. By Dr. G. on May 6, 2015 | Reply

Campbell is one of the very best on the field to watch, and when you spend time with him off the field, you appreciate him even more…very deserving long ago…

2. By Erik on May 6, 2015 | Reply

Campbell is so good. Besides J.J. Watt, I cannot think of a better defensive end in the NFL.

I like the Emanuel Acho cameo. I think NFL network confused him with Sam. Lol

3. By chrissy on May 6, 2015 | Reply

Calais you are soo part of the top 100. I’m proud of you and watch you all year long. You are an amazing part of the Arizona Cardinals and have been. I miss you in flagstaff for training camp. Keep kicking ass…I’m counting on you to keep being on top of you game. You are a leader and deserve recognition from all the NFL. This fan has your back! Go Campbell 2015!! Go AZ Cardinals!!! Claim your victory this year, you all deserve it…

4. By Eric G on May 7, 2015 | Reply

Chris Long
    Vernon Gholston
    Derrick Harvey
    Lawrence Jackson
    Phillip Merling

Those are all the DEs taken before Campbell, none made it to the pro-bowl. I wouldn’t trade Campbell for all of them. Campbell was one of the few picks Whisenhunt and Graves nailed on the head.

5. By iamtrandon on May 7, 2015 | Reply

The most underrated Defensive End in the league. He definitely deserves to at least be in the top 50. In my book he’s top 20. But I do have a feeling that plenty of people will know his name when we are playing in Super Bowl 50.

6. By Andy Kw on May 7, 2015 | Reply

I am expecting to see Patrick Peterson & Antonio Cromartie in the top 100. That’s pretty much it.
    -Guys like Rashad Johnson & Justin Bethel will likely not make the Top 100. They don’t have much of a spot light but I would see them as top 90 if they did.

7. By Dynosoar on May 7, 2015 | Reply

I was looking through the infographic on our draft picks. Keim sure likes to have team captains on this team.

One of my favorite childhood Wide Receivers was John Jefferson. I remember one Monday night game Dan Fouts threw him the ball. He had two defenders on him and made a diving catch just shy of the endzone. Before they could touch him as he was on the ground, he scrambled on his belly the final yard or so, like a soldier under the barbed wire of an obstacle course across the goal line and scored the touchdown.

All us elementary recess football payers referred to him as JJ. Now we have a JJ on our team and I have something in common with him. We both have 428 as our 40 yard dash numbers. It’s just a matter of decimal placement. (I’m at 42.8, he’s at 4.28, hey it’s only a dot.)

8. By Dynosoar on May 7, 2015 | Reply

Calais Campbell, for whatever reason, has always seemed to be ignored by voters. Pro-Bowl, Top 100, whatever the voting is. I’ve never figured this one out.

9. By Travis on May 7, 2015 | Reply

I love ya C.C! Don’t matter what anyone else says

10. By Kevin S Mesa on May 7, 2015 | Reply

Seems to me that Campbell’s relative unappreciated-ness in the national media, Pro Bowl voting, etc. is perhaps a function of his own personality.

I am 100% convinced that, while Patrick Peterson is a good player, he is overrated because of the way he calls attention to himself. Someone who played as Peterson has played over the past couple seasons would not, objectively, even be in the conversation about “best corner,” yet he is in those conversations because he proclaims himself to be the best.

Conversely, Campbell just lets his play on the field do the talking, and listening to him hosting the Big Red Rage a few times, it always struck me how much he praised the other players on the team who were guests, or just talked about other players in general, without calling attention to himself.

11. By Andy Kw on May 7, 2015 | Reply

Get ready Alfonzo Dennard, you’re about to add another ring to your collection and it will be the rarest yet. #CardsSB2015

12. By azdesertrat1953 on May 7, 2015 | Reply

Should be Much higher, mid 50’s easy. Nice to a least get some kind of a pat on the back by the rest of the NFL.

Congrats Calais Campbell!

I think this year, all year long, the NFL in general will be talking a Lot about the AZ Cardinals.

The more I hear and the more I dig, the more I am Liking this 2015 Draft Class for the Cards.

It is going to get very interesting even before the season starts IMHO.

GO CARDS!!!

13. By azdesertrat1953 on May 7, 2015 | Reply

One More Thing.

Campbell was 99th on the list, Vinatieri is 98th.

When is the last time a Field Goal Kicker sacked a QB, Int Payton Manning, blocked a point after, and causes general Havoc for the other Team?!
    Did he Not miss more than one all last year? 31 made 2 misses, but the nfl has him at 31 and 30, but also lists one miss at the Broncos and one at the Titans and one at home. To be fair 2 were in preseason.
    But Still, he’s a Kicker!

I Just Do Not Get It.

GO CARDS

14. By georgiebird on May 7, 2015 | Reply

As an 11-5 team, Cards should have about 5 guys on this list- and hopefully a couple in the top 30.
    But then again, BA is one of the best HCs in football and he makes up for the lack of superstars by stressing team play rather than individual stats. Ask Larry.

15. By Andy Kw on May 7, 2015 | Reply

Sucks for Nathan Slaughter. Now that we have JJ Nelson, his NFL Days are likely over. Good luck Nathan.

16. By SCarolinacardinal on May 7, 2015 | Reply

When Campbell is on track, he’s great!! I’m glad he plays for us!
    GO CARDS!!!

17. By brinnc on May 7, 2015 | Reply

CC just quitely does his thing, not a media hog, which is the perfect kind of football player in my opinion!! I thought I saw somewhere that CC was ranked #2 DE in the 3-4 scheme, how can a player that respected end up as only #99? This is the reason why I put very little weight into these lists, just like the draft prospects and their rankings, I just dont think they are that important, bottom line you are either a football player or you are not!! And CC is one hell of a football player!! I do believe the Cardinals would have more players on the list if not for all the devastating injuries last season!!

18. By Scott H on May 8, 2015 | Reply

My God, is there a more over-looked player in the NFL right now than my man Calais??? Great to see him on the list, but….damn, it’s about 3 years over-due at this point!

I hope Campbell knows that even as the rest of the world has managed to over-look him, he is absolutely LOVED and CHERISHED by Cardinals fans. He is SUCH an awesome player. And it seems somehow fitting that he is an Arizona Cardinal. He is the current version of Ardian Wilson. Because WE knew how great he was years before the rest of the world caught on. Then, the rest of the world started to get it and, well…..we know how this goes.

Other points of comparison to A-Dub include him being a total class act and a guy that just comes to work and does his job, ya know? No off-field issues or trouble, ever. I just love the guy. We all do.

19. By Eazy E on May 9, 2015 | Reply

Calais is a beast, but I think he can do even more! He’s a great player, but now it’s time for that all-pro status. Only way he’s getting there is he HAS to dominate and take over games damn near single-handedly!

20. By Scott H on May 10, 2015 | Reply

Geez….I only just realized that he made the list at #99. Gee, thanks. Would that mean that one or two guys from last year’s list either died or have gone missing, so they needed a couple of throw-ins just so they could fill up the Top 100? Seems like that would have been the only way these idiots would FINALLY give Campbell the credit he deserves….

2. Jul 1, 2015: Cardinals Blogs | Peterson makes top 20 in NFL 100