The rookies arrive in Tempe

Posted by Darren Urban on May 7, 2015 – 2:58 pm

The veterans have been back to work. Now it’s time to fold into the rookies. That started Thursday, as all the draft picks, undrafted signees and tryout players showed up to the team’s Tempe complex to get pictures taken, physicals done and equipment distributed. There is a dinner for the rookies Thursday night, and rookie minicamp begins Friday.

There were also a trio of press conferences for the top three picks who hadn’t yet had a press conference: Outside linebacker Markus Golden (second round), running back David Johnson (third round, pictured below) and defensive end Rodney Gunter (fourth round). All will be chronicled on azcardinals.com in the next few days, starting with Golden in a bit. In the meantime, a couple of quick takeaways from each.

— Golden just became a father. He was in Colorado the day he was drafted waiting for his son to be born — Markus Golden, Jr. — and said he had family all around him for both baby and football reasons. He admitted he had been watching the draft at first and then got anxious, wanting to just have his draft status be determined quickly. “As soon as I went to the back to let some steam off, I got the phone call,” Golden said.

— Gunter admitted he was just as surprised as anyone he ended up as a fourth-round pick, coming from Delaware State. “I didn’t know (anything),” Gunter said. “They gave me a call, fourth round before they called my name, and were like, ‘Rodney, hey, watch the TV.’ I hit my knees, man. I hit my knees and started praying. It was so unreal. I pass out for, like, three minutes.”

— Johnson worked in the summers while in college, and while he did dorm maintenance the last couple of years,the first was working for an asbestos-removal firm. “We didn’t do the real potent stuff, we did the one-to-three-percent asbestos, which was a glue that they used for tiles at old schools,” Johnson said. “We’d go and we had to wear suits with a mask, and it’s about 100 degrees out. we had to go scrape tiles off and remove all the glue.

“It’s definitely not a fun job. It was hot, I was sweating. It was hard for me to keep my weight on.”

DavidJohnsonblog

Tags: , , , ,

18 Responses to “The rookies arrive in Tempe”

1. By Whitey on May 7, 2015 | Reply

All of them sound like great guys. I’m excited to see them on the field.

Darren do you have the names of players they have brought in for tryouts?

2. By Darren Urban on May 7, 2015 | Reply

Whitey —

RE: Tryouts

Won’t have the list until tomorrow. Usually it’s fluid up until go time.

3. By D on May 7, 2015 | Reply

I have been following/supporting and a fan of this team since 1993 and clearly this roster is the deepest I have seen. It may not have as many national recognized named players as in the past, but the WR, RB, DL and Secondary groups have solid depth. The competition in this camp will be fierce.

This also could be as talented a OL group the franchise has had since the St. Louis days. I think our LT and LG is as good or better than Dallas’s new revised Left side of OL.

Now lets hope they can stay healthy and put it all together this year.

4. By D on May 7, 2015 | Reply

per Football Focus, they really like these two LB’s that the Cards signed.

Andrae Kirk, FAU, LB: Had the fourth-highest coverage grade of any linebacker in this class.

Gabe Martin, Bowling Green, LB: The gem of the Cardinals UDFA class, he had the sixth-highest run blocking grade of all linebackers in this draft class.

5. By brinnc on May 7, 2015 | Reply

D
    I thought you were an old timer like me when it came to Cardinal fandom!! Could have swore you mentioned you were also a St Louis fan. Makes no difference when any Cardinal fan “saw the light”, I must have mixed you up with someone else, but it is just great to see the fan base grow, cant remember a time when the Cardinals were in St Louis that the stadium was ever packed week in and week out, maybe 1976-1977, 1978 timeframe, have to admit it is a great site to see U of P stadium packed to the gills nowadays!!

6. By rod on May 7, 2015 | Reply

I like these guys too!! Would be great stories for them, and the Cardinals.

Hey Darren, where can I find a polo that has just the arizona cardinals on the front without the bird like you and they have?

Thanks

7. By Darren Urban on May 8, 2015 | Reply

Rod —

RE: Polos

Those may only be for employees. Let me look into it.

8. By rod on May 7, 2015 | Reply

Ooops….would be great stories for them and the Cardinals if they pan out.

9. By Rugbymuffin on May 8, 2015 | Reply

Hi Darren,

I have 85 + 7 Unsigned draft picks on the roster currently.

Sound right ?

10. By Darren Urban on May 8, 2015 | Reply

Rugby —

RE: Roster

Can only have 90 on the roster total, signed or draft picks unsigned.

On the roster page (http://www.azcardinals.com/roster/player-roster.html) there are 92, but Carlson (retired) and Washington (suspended) don’t count. If DWash is reinstated, the Cards would have to cut someone.

11. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on May 8, 2015 | Reply

Like last year, very, very deep roster. Many good guys with talent won’t make it, yet happy they can live the dream until it ends. Go Cards!

12. By Dynosoar on May 8, 2015 | Reply

Rod,

Here’s one on Ebay, but it’s a white polo, not Cardinals red.

13. By Richard L on May 8, 2015 | Reply

That picture of David Johnson shaking hands with Andre Ellington says it all.

14. By Scott H on May 8, 2015 | Reply

To all our young guys – Welcome!

Now, get to work! 🙂

15. By Duane Spencer on May 8, 2015 | Reply

brinnc,
    I first discovered the Cardinals in 77 while in St Louis. Heck of a team back in those years, Otis Anderson, Stump, Jackie Smith, Dobler, and so many more. But I think this team is better in many ways like everyone says this is a very deep team. Guys that are going to be on our taxi squad and the benchwarmers probably would have started for us in the early/mid-90s.
    On a side note, I have a hate and love relationship with this time of year. I will always start rooting for some of these kids and then my heart will ache for them when they are cut.

16. By rod on May 8, 2015 | Reply

Dinosaur –

Thanks! But unfortunately it’s a small and won’t fit me XL here.. 😐

17. By Eazy E on May 9, 2015 | Reply

I’m still a meh on our whole draft! We’ll definitely see, but we better have hit!

18. By William Barry on May 16, 2015 | Reply

For D and Brinnc:

On Sept 10, 1984, I attended a Cards vs Buffalo game, and saw Doug Marsh and Neil Lomax play in a 37-7 contest. The old St. Louis Cardinals stadium was a great place to view the game. I had great seats and I still have the photo’s of Jim Hanifan walking off in victory….