An inside linebacker visits

Posted by Darren Urban on May 8, 2015 – 8:58 am

Multiple reports point out that the Cardinals brought in veteran inside linebacker Darryl Sharpton for a visit. Sharpton, 6-feet and 230 pounds, played with the Bears last season in five games, and in five NFL seasons (drafted by the Texans) he’s only played double-digit games twice. But if he were to sign he’d give the Cardinals another body as they try to fortify a position that needs a boost.

The Cards just signed four inside linebackers in their undrafted rookie class. And they are still awaiting word on the status of the suspended Daryl Washington, whose status even if he is reinstated by the NFL remains very much up in the air. If Washington indeed applied for reinstatement when he said he would, you’d expect to hear by the end of the month or so whether the NFL has cleared him — at least in this circumstance. As always, there has to be the reminder Washington faces further punishment from the league because of his assault conviction.

Miami Dolphins running back Lamar Miller (26) is tackled by Chicago Bears cornerback Demontre Hurst (30) and linebacker Darryl Sharpton (53) during the first half of an NFL football game Sunday, Oct. 19, 2014 in Chicago. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)

Tags: ,

30 Responses to “An inside linebacker visits”

1. By Andy Kw on May 8, 2015 | Reply

Not a fan. Like the guys we have right now. Alani Fua & Gabe Martin are bigger, have much needed speed, and have more potential. Glenn Carson, Kenny Demens, & Kevin Minter all have more upside than Sharpton. Sean Weatherspoon is pegged in as our starter and with Daryl Washington still suspended, these 5 guys should battle it out for the other ILB spot.

2. By Crow on May 8, 2015 | Reply

Me personally i like this guy he could be a good transition player especially if D-wash gets suspended darren how do you think Logan Thomas is comming along in the first week?

3. By Darren Urban on May 8, 2015 | Reply

Crow —

RE: Logan Thomas

Not much to judge on right now.

4. By Marlin on May 8, 2015 | Reply

I agree with Andy….well said

5. By Scott H on May 8, 2015 | Reply

I’m starting to think we may have to wait about 4, 5 seasons to even get a resolution on Washington.

As for this Sharpton guy….hey, give him a shot. Somebody has to be this year’s guy that makes us say thank God we found him, so…why not him?

6. By Cactus jeff on May 8, 2015 | Reply

Darren
    Let me get this straight, steroids can turn a normal athlete into a NFL football player. A normal NFL football player into dominating Hal of Fame football player, but we are concerned about football pressure? I can’t imagine how many athletes didn’t get a scholarship or didn’t go pro because they didn’t cheat (didn’t take steroids) and their competitors did.

Meanwhile, the press and talk radio jump on ball pressure and cheating while ignoring the obvious for decades? Note to Cards football fans, you know they are on steroids when the Masseter muscle along side of skull gets huge. Remember Barry Bonds hat size getting bigger? His skull didn’t get bigger, it was the chewing muscles attached to his skull. Steroids probably caused his chewing muscles to hypertrophy. Sports writers have cowardly avoided topic for decades. But hey they really go after ball pressure. Golf, basketball, baseball and yes football is so obvious that serious cheating is going on but the sheep are told to look at ball pressure. Baaah

PS big anti-Brady fan. Better than Manning but not close to Elway, Farve, or Marino.

7. By All day on May 8, 2015 | Reply

Do you know if Arizona had any interest in La’el Collins?
    I would assume not after drafting a tackle in the first round and having Veldheer Iupati and Cooper but I suppose for depth at left tackle or maybe he could’ve battled for Guard against Cooper. Huge props to Dallas they basically had 3 first round picks with Collins Gregory and Jones. 2 risky players who I think in the end are high reward.

8. By Darren Urban on May 8, 2015 | Reply

All day —

RE: Collins

I do not know for sure. I wouldn’t be surprised, but obviously they weren’t as aggressive as a couple of other teams.

9. By CreditCard on May 8, 2015 | Reply

Totally agree with Cactus Jeff. HGH will cause premature baldness, and feet the size of flippers. Take a look at Barry Bonds’ days in Pittsburg and then in San Fran.

I’m not a Bilichick fan, he has mastered the art of cheating. I’m guessing the NFL looks the other way in regards to Bilichick and the Patriots due to the lucrative New England market. My guess the sanctions will be comically light on Tom Brady.

I’m wondering if the issues involved with DWash and league domestic violence, had some factor in this year’s draft class. Appears that some of the players drafted have overcome great obstacles to get into the NFL and became leaders on their college teams.

10. By Andy Kw on May 8, 2015 | Reply

I hate the Rams. Injured both of our QBs.

11. By Andy Kw on May 8, 2015 | Reply

I really hope Alani Fua & Gabe Martin become our future starting ILBs. Fua can play outside or inside linebacker so his versatility is valuable. Gabe Martin is a really good run stuffer and can drop back in coverage too, very similar to Daryl Washington but without the trouble.

12. By Dr. G. on May 8, 2015 | Reply

Sharpton was a 4th rounder 5 years ago with a very anemic resume during that period…we need not waste time on “hoping we find a diamond in the rough.” Just analyze the men we have now!! This guy has proven nothing.

DARREN – – Hopefully, you are not going nutty with all the questions about DWash. But can you clarify a couple things, please?

A. What is the maximum time a player has to reapply after a suspension? Months, Years?

B. Whatever that time is, can a team ask to be relieved of the contract at that point?

It makes no sense to keep someone on the books forever if he does not plead for reinstatement. In this case, as I wrote prior, if I were DWash, I would be boasting that I am clean and trying to earn the trust of everyone again. ((Somehow, I just smell some “skunk” here.)) The year is up on May 30, 2015, I think… He could apply during March…as you said 60 days prior…

And, again I know the NFL Commish’ will only announce “decisions” without commentary on the process… These are legal matters, but they are simple parts of the CBA and the players’ contracts…not quantum physics… Thanks, again…

13. By Darren Urban on May 9, 2015 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Washington

He doesn’t get paid as long as he’s suspended. As I have said multiple times, I expect to hear something by the end of this month.

14. By Ottis Anderson Fan on May 8, 2015 | Reply

Hi Darren,

I just seen the video of Dante Fowler going down on his first day of practice. I was wondering what happens to rookies who get injured, and possibly for the season before they even sign their contract. What type of compensation is due the player who hasn’t signed a contract. Do the Jaguars even have to sign him if the injury is beyond serious?

15. By Darren Urban on May 9, 2015 | Reply

Ottis —

RE: Rookies

All rookies working out who have yet to sign contracts have signed an injury waiver that states that the team will bargain “in good faith” — essentially bargain as if the injury never happened — if there is an injury. Since contracts are now slotted, there is very little that needs to be figured out. He’ll get the contract he was going to get.

16. By Joe C. on May 8, 2015 | Reply

Deflategate-Brady probably clearly communicated when he was happy or unhappy with the balls every day in practice and after games. How long would it take a reasonably intelligent person to figure out he wanted them on the low side? So he makes them a hair lower and Brady is effusive. Brady is grateful the balls are the way he likes them without having to say anything and he gives the ball boy some autographed stuff to show his appreciation. Sure the ball boy knows they are a hair low, sure Brady knows they’re a hair low. Plausible deniability. Brady never told him to deflate them below league rules. He just complained when they were high and grateful when they were low.

17. By much.faster on May 8, 2015 | Reply

@cactus jeff:

this was a deliberate setup of tom brady. first the colts notify the NFL about their suspicion. then the NFL told it to the refs.

and then the refs lost the contact to the balls for minutes.

and then the game begins. waht would you do as a referee?

stop the game, check the balls, and start with new balls?

hey, but then the NFL could only fine the organisation of the pats, because their employees cheated.
    so the refs let the game continue to the halftime, knowing, that the balls could be manipulated.

the question is, how often will we see pee mannings balls checked this season?

18. By Mark W on May 8, 2015 | Reply

Saw QB Taylor Kelly in video about arriving rookies. Was he signed as an undrafted rookie? Havent heard anything or seen anything about him on the roster. Can you elaborate? Also whos in charge of fixing the website? I keep clicking on downloads for the Cardinals wallpaper, and it keeps sending me to the radio station page. I think the link is bad…..

19. By Darren Urban on May 9, 2015 | Reply

Mark W —

RE: Kelly

He is in rookie camp on a tryout basis. I do not expect him here beyond this weekend.

20. By NJAzCardsFan on May 8, 2015 | Reply

Logan Thomas should be the 5th TE on the Cards roster…..

21. By Big Ken on May 8, 2015 | Reply

Really impressed with the UDFA’s. Keim said some of the guys should have been drafted. So are the UFDA’s a little hungrier, more likely to just get out there and play, let it all hang out?

22. By Grabling on May 8, 2015 | Reply

Larry Foote!!

23. By Eazy E on May 9, 2015 | Reply

It’s all about Daryl Washington, if he’s there which I fully expect, we’re good at ILB with Weatherspoon, if he’s not there, we’re kinda screwed. I don’t know why we haven’t brought in Spikes for a visit though.

24. By carlo milano on May 9, 2015 | Reply

i did listen the arians interview
    he said he was pleased with all the rookies but in particular with one player
    who,cause i couldnt hear it clear?

25. By Daniel Thompson on May 9, 2015 | Reply

Shaq RIddick? Waste of a draft pick………….won’t even make the team……….what were the Cardinals thinking? I went on youtube and looked at his highlights and saw nothing…….I swear I have a better eye for talent just watching a few clips online.

26. By Dr. G. on May 9, 2015 | Reply

Darren – – I always appreciate your work here, however, repeating that you have
    “said multiple times” has not answered my recent two questions…as if you have not read them. Sorry, I will not ask again….later

27. By Andy Kw on May 9, 2015 | Reply

Daniel Thompson,
    He gained an extra 10+ pounds to get into NFL shape. He is determined and wants to be the best. If you saw nothing out of him,them get lost because this guy does have talent. I trust Steve Keim and Bruce Arians’ 100%. You, uhh I don’t trust you one bit. “Better eye for talent”???? Haha, yeah right. You want to hate on our draft picks then get lost. Don’t need fans that just talk smack about our players. I didn’t like the picks at first but then realized you have to trust the process. Just because they’re not recognized doesn’t mean that theyre not good.
    -Shaq Riddick and the rest of our draft class-UDFA, go get’em. We have faith in all of you.

28. By John The Draft Guy on May 11, 2015 | Reply

Daniel Thompson and AndyKW,

Shaq Riddick;

What I like about him is he is a high motor guy who doesn’t give up on a play. He has some ability to disengage from a block and he did OK setting an edge against the run.

What I didn’t like was there was no dip to get the edge on a pass rush, average burst, Tackles once locked in, had him handled, he is weak with his hands. He had most of his sacks against the Purdue’s of the world. Would like to see him flash more in other games.

I think Shaq is exactly what a 5th round pick is. He tries hard, could play special teams, and if those flashes could become more consistent and his hands become better, he could develop into a player.

But AndyKW, and other fans like him, you don’t make sense. It is always all or nothing. Even Steve Keim will tell you he makes mistakes and secretly wished he made a different move. It is OK for a fan to not like a decision by Keim and still be a fan.

Honestly, Daniel has a point. Nothing but his try hard pops out on tape. Because he doesn’t like a pick, doesn’t mean he hates all our picks or is talking smack. Riddick is not better than Okafor. He is not better than Shaughnessy, he is not better than Woodley, and you know Golden will get every opportunity. Riddick is going to have to do everything he can to make this team. That is not hating, it is reality.

29. By Andy Kw on May 12, 2015 | Reply

Well John the Draft Guy, you don’t make sense.

30. By Coach K on May 12, 2015 | Reply

JTDG

Right on! Shaq will develop. He does have that motor.