Cardinals signing tryout QB

Posted by Darren Urban on May 10, 2015 – 6:18 pm

It’s not unusual for the Cardinals to sign a player or two who attend their rookie minicamp on a tryout basis. This year, that reportedly includes a quarterback. NFLdraftdiamonds.com said Sunday the Cards are signing Winston-Salem State’s Phillip Sims, who along with Arizona State’s Taylor Kelly, was a QB the Cards brought in for minicamp. There has been no official announcement from the team as of yet (and the Cards will have to cut someone once it’s official) but the post did include a picture of Sims in the Cards’ offices. (al.com also reported the signing.)

The Cardinals already have four quarterbacks on the roster — Carson Palmer, Drew Stanton, Logan Thomas and Chandler Harnish. It’s possible Palmer will be dialed back for OTAs, and the Cards just want to have an extra arm around for the next few weeks of the offseason. Or maybe Sims impressed enough to displace Harnish. Sims started his college career at Alabama and was in the mix as Tide QB before eventually losing out to A.J. McCarron. Sims, 6-foot-4 and 210 pounds, had 15 touchdowns and four interceptions as a redshirt senior at Winston-Salem while sharing playing time.

Phillip Sims

Tags: , , , , ,

25 Responses to “Cardinals signing tryout QB”

1. By carlo milano on May 11, 2015 | Reply

probably has a chance to compete with harnish and stanton

logan could end up playing tigh end before september starts

2. By Andy Kw on May 11, 2015 | Reply

Like the size and potential. If he does well, let’s put him on the practice squad. Don’t know much about this guy but if Arians saw something in him, then this is a good sign. Harnish will have to be the odd man out.

3. By jeffgollin on May 11, 2015 | Reply

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe Phillip was a highly-regarded HS athlete who experienced more than one career speed-bump in his college career which resulted in at least one switch of schools and his remaining undrafted. Will he become one of those guys who benefits from a second chance? Or will he remain one of those guys…who doesn’t. You might want to do some digging, Darren; sounds like there may be an interesting back story here.

4. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on May 11, 2015 | Reply

The intrigue never ends! Lol, love it.

5. By Dynosoar on May 11, 2015 | Reply

Patrick Hoog,

“The intrigue never ends!”

No. No it doesn’t. And that may be a part of what keeps us coming back. Haha.

6. By Scott H on May 11, 2015 | Reply

I’m just keeping it simple – With Palmer at QB, we’re among the best teams in the league. With AT LEAST Stanton QB, we’re fine. We lose them both again, we’re done.

Seeing as I see it that way, I find it hard to even pay attention to who is behind them on the depth chart. Even though I know it does matter.

Darren – forgive me if this got by me, but is Ryan Lindley on anyone’s roster these days?

7. By Darren Urban on May 11, 2015 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Lindley

I do not believe so.

8. By turbolwf on May 11, 2015 | Reply

Yes Jeff you are correct. Phillip was a very impressive QB but lost the starting battle at Alabama and transferred to UVA to be closer to his father who was having health issues. That didn’t go well for Mr. Sims and he was removed from the school due to academic scores after his shared time with Rocco. He transferred to W/S sat out a year and then completed his degree. Coach Sabin sent out a letter to every NFL team explaining why Mr. Sims would be a great addition to any NFL team. The Cards should keep him and it will pay off. He has the ability to be a great Pro Set QB. He also has traveled the road of disappointment which has taught him to work very hard at focus. This are things that will help him rise to the level of the NFL.

9. By Bruce on May 11, 2015 | Reply

Wow! Phil Simms? Who’s next Dan Marino? What you don’t like be an NFL Expert? Let it go Phil. You are too old.

10. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on May 11, 2015 | Reply

Sims intrigues because of the big gun he calls his arm, could be scout team/practice squad guy and who knows over time. Heard Sabin wrote a + letter about him to NFL teams. Beats warmed over Lindley, who is a fine person but happy for next man up. Like everyone else, wondering about Harnish and Thomas over time, all part of the intrigue…but very glad they didn’t stand pat with only the 3 QBs from last year… Would love to be fly on the wall in that QB meeting room…

11. By Richard S on May 11, 2015 | Reply

I watched the Senior Bowl recording I made earlier in the year to see what the Cardinals players looked like. David Johnson, #7, the first time he touched the ball ran it into the endzone from 19 yards out. He was named the best running back for the week in the camp. In the middle of the game down close to the endzone on a couple of occasions , he got the handoff but everytime was surrounded in the backfield. On kickoff returns, he got 3 of them past the 20 yard line. The last one at the end of the game, he took up to midfield by bulldozing a couple of special teams players. Markus Golden, #33, was also in the game, but I didn’t see much of him. He may have gotten in the face of the QB once forcing a bad throw, as I saw #33 walking away from the QB after the play, but the actual play was so teeny on the screen, I’m not sure who got in the face of the QB. I still have to watch the NFLPA Bowl featuring #99 Zach Wagenmann, DE, and Paul Lasike, #33, Fullback and the Shrine game with #18 TE Gerald Christian.

12. By John The Draft Guy on May 11, 2015 | Reply

Scott H,

You make the most true statement on this board and get thumbs down. SMH.

Folks, Harrnish, Thomas nor Sims will help us if those Palmer and Stanton go down.

13. By brinnc on May 11, 2015 | Reply

Have to believe they are going to throw a ton at Thomas this off-season, and being a Logan Thomas guy from well before the Cardinals drafted him (although I harped like crazy prior to last years draft that the Cards should snag Thomas if he was still around in the 5th, so SK/BA took him a round early, probably had to or lose him because his draft status wasmoving north prior to draft, plus they are about a 1000 times smarter than I am at putting together an NFL team!!) but I think that if need be and we lose both Palmer and Stanton (knock on wood that we dont!!) that Thomas will hold his own and will manage the game or games that he is forced to start!! But I would much rather Carson come back 100% and stays 100% because when it comes to SuperBowl runs I believe at this point Palmer is “make or break”, if he goes down I dont thin even Stanton can take us all the way to SB50!! Stanton can get us through a few games here or there but I dont think he could take us all the way to February!!!
    I still think Thomas is our answer for the future, once Palmer hangs it up, which if he continues to play like he has then Carson can stay around til he is feaking 50!!! But I have to back Thomas and my belief in his potential, one thing im not is a politician, im not going to change my belief just to make myself look good!!! LOL!!

14. By NJAzCardsFan on May 11, 2015 | Reply

Scott H-

Lindley was signed by a local San Diego Pop Warner team…..

15. By Scott H on May 11, 2015 | Reply

JTDG –

I know you feel my pain, dude. Clearly, there are people who don’t even read my posts – they just see my name and give thumbs down.

Whatever. Like yourself, I ain’t running for mayor and I’m not interested in popularity contests. I appreciate that being a fan means you can engage in critical thinking when you find fault with something. Doesn’t mean you don’t still live and die with your team every week.

Like last season wasn’t all the proof anyone needs of the VERY basic premise of my post?

16. By Scott H on May 11, 2015 | Reply

brinnc –

Where Stanton is concerned, I would hope we wouldn’t need HIM to take us all way to Feb. HIM, meaning HIM all by himself. Maybe he’s not a carry-a-team-on -his-shoulders caliber QB. You may be right about that. BUT – if the O-line is as solid as it appears capable of being….the run game is balanced with our own version of a little thunder and lightning….and the defense is as good as last year….then, Stanton is more than capable of being good enough to keep this team on course. He did last year! Heck, Palmer only had one more win than Stanton did. And Palmer didn’t have to face Seattle…IN Seattle….with no Fitz….and no running game. Geez, if Brown doesn’t drop a TD pass that hits him RIGHT IN THE DAMN HANDS, maybe that game goes differently.

Palmer also didn’t go against Denver on the road. The Cards were in that game until Stanton went down. Stanton drew some tough games, ya know?

But I hear ya. Our BEST hopes lie with a healthy Palmer. Period.

17. By Crow on May 11, 2015 | Reply

Ya this kid also spent time at UVA he’s a good athlete in general good guy possible diamond in the rough

18. By carlo milano on May 12, 2015 | Reply

heard somers saying the coaching staff was impressed by this kid arm,intelligence,maybe is too early but has a chance to fight for the 3th spot

19. By Coach K on May 17, 2015 | Reply

Philip was the #1 rated pocket passer in the nation coming out of high school when he commit to Bama. #1 in the Nation. That is saying something. Two years at Bama, a year at Virginia and a year at WSS. This kid is not chopped liver. He is a mature young man with big time ability.

Logan needs to strongly consider switching to tight end ASAP, because he is going to have a tough time competing with Sims. Sims has many more years of experience playing QB and also has run traditional 3-5-7 step drop passing offenses. BIG ADVANTAGE

20. By DJones on May 18, 2015 | Reply

He was #1 coming out of high school

21. By Joe on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

I’ve never understood Bruce Arians when it comes to QBs. Logan Thomas is one of the worst starting QBs I’ve seen in college over the past decade. Now Phillip Sims has a job in the NFL while Blake Sims is in the CFL? It’s not all size and arm strength.

22. By Joseph Godinez on Aug 28, 2015 | Reply

Don’t make same mistakes dbacks did with Max Sherzer (rookie al c-young winner) saw nothing in him shipped him off to Detroit then he wins award..sign Simms

23. By coachFrancis on Aug 30, 2015 | Reply

Give a guy a chance,Simms is well worth keeping.Just had his head filled with the your perfect talk too early in high school.Watching him today he has ready now.

24. By coachFrancis757 Knowledge gg on Aug 30, 2015 | Reply

Suggest Az Folks check UTUBE from his high school years.

2. May 20, 2015: Cardinals Blogs | The battle for third QB