Shockwaves from Brady, Pats punishment

Posted by Darren Urban on May 11, 2015 – 3:03 pm

The NFL handed down its punishment of the New England Patriots for deflating footballs — and for, how the NFL and Ted Wells saw it, the subsequent cover-up. It is significant. First is a four-game suspension for quarterback Tom Brady. There was also a $1 million fine, and, as it impacts the rest of the league, the Patriots have to give up their 2016 first-round draft pick and their fourth-round pick in 2017.

Two of the lines from the statement released of NFL executive president Troy Vincent that came along with the punishment stood out to me:

— “We regard violations of competitive rules as significant and deserving of a strong sanction, both to punish the actual violation and to deter misconduct in the future.” In other words, we definitely want to scare teams/players out of trying anything like this going forward.

— “Violations that diminish the league’s reputation for integrity and fair play cannot be excused simply because the precise impact on the final score cannot be determined.” In other words, the footballs that were deflated might have not changed anything on the field, but you can’t be messing with the rules. Perception is reality.

The league acknowledged the trouble the Patriots got in 2007 for videotaping opponents’ signals came into play. None of this directly impacts the Cardinals. The Cards aren’t playing the Patriots this season, nor are any of the NFC West teams. Right now, Brady does stand to miss one game against an NFC team — a trip to Dallas. But there is still the possibility Brady will have the suspension shortened on appeal, and if that happens, the game against the Cowboys is the first thing to reappear on his to-do list since it would be the fourth game he would miss. (And you know Brady will appeal.) Losing draft picks helps every other team too.

Tom Brady

Tags: , , ,

46 Responses to “Shockwaves from Brady, Pats punishment”

1. By Kurt on May 11, 2015 | Reply

Nice

2. By John The Draft Guy on May 11, 2015 | Reply

It is amazing that a team so talented and a QB who is legendary, are so afraid of losing, that they will cheat to win, even when they would have won in the first place.

Such a strange thing to witness. That fear of losing drives Brady to be great but also drives him to cheat. It is like watching Barry Bonds. A HOFer without steroids, but that wasn’t good enough. He needed more. He needed to be the best. And in the process, become the villain that everyone despises.

It would make for a very interesting case study.

3. By Darren Urban on May 11, 2015 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Case study

You make a great point.

4. By D on May 11, 2015 | Reply

Man, taking away the #1 is dropping the Hammer.

If I am Kyle Orton, I would be offering my services to the Pats and make so more cabbage.

I don’t feel sorry for Tom, he has to stay home with his 4 SB rings and a half way looking decent wife…
    …guessing his first day back with those two locker room jockeys should be price- less..

5. By Rob on May 11, 2015 | Reply

No doubt in my mind it’s a culture created by Coach Bill Belichick.

6. By Dynosoar on May 11, 2015 | Reply

I believe Tom Brady was on his way to the Hall of Fame, this may very well keep him out.

Wow!

Put the balls back in the hands of the referees and out of the teams control and this is not an issue going forward. Why didn’t Green Bay get such a steep punishment for warming their footballs two seasons ago?

This May or May Not be have been an appropriate punishment to deflategate, but I have not seen consistency out of Goodell’s Crime and Punishment squad over the years. There seems to be either an approach of leniency or an approach of we’ll destroy you. Then again, maybe the in between punishments are just not advertised and talked about.

The message I get, don’t upset Goodell.

7. By D on May 11, 2015 | Reply

If I am Sean Payton, I would be asking Goodell, hold on a second…Payton was suspended for 1 yr for “not knowing what was going on in the locker room with his coaches and players” and Belichick get’s out of this with no punishment????

8. By Dynosoar on May 11, 2015 | Reply

JTDG,

I recall the exchange in Cool Runnings between John Candy’s character (a true story, or at least based on) and the Jamaican bobsled team captain. (Disclaimer, I don’t know IF Brady was involved AND I don’t know what he was thinking and feeling even if he was involved.)

Captain “Why’d you do it?” (Referring to John Candy’s character cheating in the Olympics after having earned the gold medal in the previous Olympics.)
    John Candy “I had to win.”
    Captain “I don’t understand.”
    John Candy “If your not good enough without the gold, you’ll never be good enough with the gold.”

9. By Dynosoar on May 11, 2015 | Reply

I just had a coaching/leadership training this weekend and one of those in my breakout group talked about the beauty of his wrestling days. He said I trained as hard and best as I could, then win or lose in a match, my opponent and I could both acknowledge with mutual respect the training and effort of each other.

Cheating destroys mutual respect.

(I don’t know if Brady was involved, but whether he was or not he’s been judged as such. Unfortunate/destructive if he did this, destructive if it was a witch hunt.)

I believe playing is the cake. Winning is just the icing. Too many want the icing, but we’ve all had Costco muffins. Cake is good. To participate is the grand thing, winning is simply icing. (I do like icing.)

10. By Cactus jeff on May 11, 2015 | Reply

JTDG
    How about we take 1st round draft picks from NFL, NBA, and MLB franchises when one of their players cheat by taking steroids?

11. By Bruce on May 11, 2015 | Reply

Wow!!!! The NFL got one right. Now that they got their resolve out on Brady, maybe they go easier on Washington? Wishful thinking? LOL

12. By JohnnyBluenose on May 11, 2015 | Reply

So far, so good. now comes the appeal. But, unless I missed it, has anyone actually admitted to deliberate wrongdoing and does the NFL fine itself for allowing individual teams access to footballs prior to games? Sounds like high school to me.

13. By tyman on May 11, 2015 | Reply

Hate cheaters.

I would have gave the Pats a postseason ban for two years.
    It’s one thing to cheat and another to lie when you got caught red handed.

14. By Ottis Anderson Fan on May 11, 2015 | Reply

I love the suspension and punishment if only because it’s going to give the Patriot’s biggest fanboy – Peter King of Sports Illustrated – reason to pause before he decides worship his Patriots in yet another SI.com article.

15. By Scott H on May 11, 2015 | Reply

Clearly, this is a big thing, but….I just really haven’t been able to muster up a lot of angst over it. Geez….honestly? Here is how this affects me most – One, this kind of thing stirs up these Eagle-fan losers who have this total victim complex and feel life is so un-fair because THEY have not won a SB yet. I swear, it is so pathetic. So, now they are all worked up because, of course, they would have beaten the Pats in the 1994 SB if they hadn’t cheated. That is ALL this means for them. And now I have to listen to this crap all over again. Thanks, Tom.

Two, I also have to listen to my Seahawk friends crying and whining because, of course, THEY should have won last year’s SB because Tom Brady SHOULD have been suspended THEN, instead of the following season.

Like JTDG, I just don’t get why a team and / or a player who can clearly win WITHOUT cheating feels this pathological need to do it. That is pretty sad. Seriously – you felt you needed an advantage to beat the Colts??? It’s a shame that the legacies of Belicheck AND Tom Brady ( who may yet be regarded as the greatest QB of all time ) are now forever tainted by this.

I have always been willing to defend Tom Brady up until now. But that is just about impossible at this point.

It IS worth noting that one of the games Brady will miss is against Dallas – a team that figures to be very much in the playoff mix in the NFC.

And I fully acknowledge that is if all this cheating stuff were centered around Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson? Shoot, I would have to quit my job to have time for all the protesting I would be doing!

All about perspective, right? 🙂

16. By Chuck 1 on May 11, 2015 | Reply

I’m vindicated AGAIN!!!

This is what I wrote several threads ago when the “DeflatedGate” Report was announced.

By Chuck 1 on May 6, 2015 | Reply
    “What a coincidence!!! Earlier this AM, I was wondering why I hadn’t heard anything about “Deflategate”.
    Lo and behold, Wells’ investigation report was released a little later.
    I think that a loss of two first round draft picks, a two-to-four game suspension for Brady and a fine of $500,000 would be appropriate for the cheating Patriot organization.”

So, I missed (slightly) on the lost draft picks and undershot on the fine, but I was close.

And, what did I get for that prescient prediction? Two thumbs down.

17. By jasonc on May 11, 2015 | Reply

When this all first came out Jeff Blake gave an interview saying that it is/was a common practice for footballs air pressures to be adjusted. If it was a common practice and Tom Brady was doing something he knew for a fact other teams/quarterbacks did then it seems more like he wanted to be on a level playing field.

I think it is the same reason Barry Bonds and Lance Armstrong started using PED’s; both of their professions were dominated by athletes using PED’s. Everyone lauded the McGwire/Sosa home run chase as ‘saving baseball’ and meanwhile Bonds knew he was the best player was ignored. Sure it might have had something to do with his public persona, but for him I’m sure he may have felt he was being ignored by players who had an unfair advantage over him.

18. By wilyb on May 11, 2015 | Reply

I am not a fan of Tom Brady or the Patriots. If they cheated, shame on them. But why are we even talking about this?

The NFL was on notice from the Colts prior to the AFC Championship Game that the Patriots might be messing with air pressure. If game ball air pressure is such a big deal, the game balls should have been under constant scrutiny by game officials. Having balls out of sight in a rest room with the ball boy for any amount of time, never mind 60 seconds, is unacceptable. Why did the NFL allow this to happen?

“In sum, the data did not provide a basis for us to determine with absolute certainty whether there was or was not tampering as the analysis of such data ultimately is dependent upon assumptions and information that is not certain. However, based on all of the information provided to us, particularly regarding the timing and sequencing of the measurements conducted by the game officials at halftime, and on our testing and analyses, we conclude that within the range of game characteristics most likely to have occurred on Game Day, we have identified no set of credible environmental or physical factors that completely accounts for the additional loss in air pressure exhibited by the Patriots game balls as compared to the loss in air pressure exhibited by the Colts game balls measured during halftime of the AFC Championship Game.” Last paragraph of Exponent’s Executive Summary, The Effect of Various Environmental and Physical Factors on the Measured Internal Pressure of NFL Footballs, May 6, 2015.

“With respect to your particular involvement, the report established that there is substantial and credible evidence to conclude you were at least generally aware of the actions of the Patriots’ employees involved in the deflation of the footballs and that it was unlikely that their actions were done without your knowledge. Moreover, the report documents your failure to cooperate fully and candidly with the investigation, including by refusing to produce any relevant electronic evidence (emails, texts, etc.) …” NFL executive V.P. Troy Vincent, in a letter to Tom Brady.

19. By Andy Kw on May 11, 2015 | Reply

Tom Deflatey

20. By CreditCard on May 11, 2015 | Reply

The culture of Bill Belichick lives on! Moreover, Belichick gets to walk.

Geezo I’m not a Sean Payton or Saints fan, but if I were from the Big Easy —- I would be extremely upset with the ever so light punishment and Belichick not being suspended for an entire season.

21. By Duane Spencer on May 11, 2015 | Reply

I’m conflicted on this…I follow the Pats because no matter what happens they are always a good football team. I do believe “Spygate” was overblown because I believe just about every team did it.
    I really have no idea on whether or not Brady was involved and really can’t understand why he would be the instigator in this…Nobody can convince me that he isn’t one of the two or three best QBs of the last fifteen or so years…So the whole thing makes no sense.
    As to whether or not this impacts the DW case, that is like comparing apples and oranges..but you never know with Czar G in control. (Side note’; is it just me, or has the quality of sports commissioner gone down the toilet in the few years?)..
    Let’s see, if you let some air out of a football, it’s 4 games, a million buck, and a first rounder, what is hitting your ex worth? Scary thinking about that.

22. By krehbieo14 on May 11, 2015 | Reply

On a much broader, significant scale, Deflategate reminds me of the Nixon reelection campaign in 1972. Nixon was cruising to victory, but ironically felt the need to seek intel on his opponent, George McGovern. Nixon won in a landslide, taking 49 out of 50 states! His paranoia about his enemies led to Watergate and his downfall. IMO, for Brady and Nixon, the fear of losing must have been more powerful than their confidence in success.

23. By Andy Kw on May 11, 2015 | Reply

Tom Brady and Pats fans, stop whining. Youre lucky the NFL didn’t suspend him for more games and deduct more future 1st RD picks. The suspension is so small for a problem this big. Should have been suspended 8 games but the NFL went lightly on him. Don’t mess with the integrity of the game. If you want to cheat or are aware of the cheating and but not mention it, you are still the victim and are still responsible. If you want to Win, be fair and clean about it. I hate how Tom Brady is ignoring this issue and in a way denying the deflate scandal when he knows deep inside that there was something wrong.

24. By Andy Kw on May 11, 2015 | Reply

The Watergate scandal all over again.

25. By Chuck 1 on May 11, 2015 | Reply

Sour grapes.

26. By BluePitt on May 12, 2015 | Reply

And at the Half when the proper balls were put in play, and the Pats kept on torching the colts…what then? And when the Pats beat the Hawks with 100% legal balls what then? It is stupid and petty. Let the QB put the ball at what ever PSI he wants, Like Harrison said once the balls thrown he sees it as his Ball not the WR’s ball and if its deflated and helps him catch it so be it!!!! LOL and PP 21 or what ever it is needs to keep his mouth shut! Or fingers counting the over paid check he cashes to be mediocre at best! From what I read the NFL did have info with Brady saying to keep the balls within the legal parameters. We will see. Once PP 21 becomes a Legit #1 in the league then Ill shut up!

27. By Darren Urban on May 12, 2015 | Reply

BluePitt —

RE: “When PP21 becomes a legit #1”

So you’re being disingenuous now? Because if you really believe what you are saying about the situation, it wouldn’t matter what level of play Peterson is achieving. That wouldn’t change your opinion.

And I’m not sure why, if you can have your opinion, why Peterson cannot have his.

28. By BluePitt on May 12, 2015 | Reply

For PP 21…
    Here’s the entire Wells Report. Read it through. Find the evidence (not Wells’ opinion, but evidence) that Brady was explicitly involved in Jastremski and McNally probably conspiring to deflate footballs.

And I couldn’t agree more with this!

29. By sbrown on May 12, 2015 | Reply

Andy Kw –
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Nixon had the election in the bag, no way he was going to loose,
    but approves / knows of the Watergate break in and boom,
    he resigns from the office.

30. By scribe on May 12, 2015 | Reply

Brady had to know or at least make known that he liked his footballs slightly deflated (wink, wink).

I think lying about the situation does more damage to the NFL. If everyone does it, just say “yes, you caught us, but everyone does it. We were just trying to keep up.” The penalty should explicitely state which portion of it is for lying to the NFL and to the public.

With the NFL constantly changing rules, trying to make the game more exciting by e.g., restricting what a CB can do, so a WR will catch more balls, and if QBs and receivers prefer their footballs with slightly less PSI, sounds like a no brainer for a rule change.

Doesn’t vindicate what the Pats did.

31. By jeffcardinalfan on May 12, 2015 | Reply

1- bountygate-“bountys” have always existed in nfl and stil do! 10g’sis pocket change to most of these guys and the money does not make them want to hit the qb more…in the cards loss at the saints in playoffs wouldn’t we have been overjoyed if brees had been knocked out of game?and I guarantee that cards d was trying to hit him as much as they could. this is not to b confused with the cheap shots the eagles took on warner in nfc championship game the previous yr.

2-spygate- all teams try to steal the other teams signals and all teams have notes about all other teams as well as game tapes. teams have even signed players from other teams just to get info-its been done throughout nfl history…sidenote-in every mlb dugout bench players and coaches try to steal signs and catchers change signs when a runner is on 2nd

3-deflategate-for decades qb’s and kickers have had footballs adjusted to their liking

4-lombardi wasn’t penalized nor investigated for turning off field warming system the nite before the ice bowl…patriots were not penalized for the snow plow game…parchells was not penalized for opening the doors at giants stadium just before cards were gonna kick a fg in all pro sports there is a constant and continual search to gain an advantage over the opponent. even our beloved aneas Williams celebrated an int in playoff game against cowboys that replay clearly showed he had trapped the ball and not caught it… the height of the basket and ball air pressure in nba…spitters and doctored bats in mlb how about what happens in the pile during onside kicks or fumbles-players do not think “he got the ball first so he beat me.” instead they grab, pull punch and reports of even biting to get the ball for their team and when it goes the cards way we cheer loudly.

5-these things r just the commissioner flexing muscles and showing his authority

6-if the cowboys had been involved and their activities had been made public the penalties and fines would have been much much less

32. By mike egan on May 12, 2015 | Reply

Not only is a four (4) game suspension not enough, there should be an * notation placed next to the teams super bowl victory. All 8 of next seasons home games should be automatic losses, and Mr. Kraft should be made to apologize publically to all 31 other teams for degrading the game, along with his own 1 year suspension. There are only 2 teams who could get away with such a light punishment New England and Dallas.

33. By Chuck 1 on May 12, 2015 | Reply

Re: my accurate prediction on the punishment levied on the Patriots for “Deflategate”.

“Apparently, some fans can’t stand it when someone has the balls to say “I TOLD YOU SO”!!!

34. By krehbieo14 on May 12, 2015 | Reply

Chuck 1-

One of my pet peeves is when one of us commenters mentions how accurate we are with predictions. Many of us at times can claim that we hit it right. In fact, we can pretend that we know more about drafting than our scouts and GM. It’s interesting that those who want to elevate themselves over their selections and predictions, never talk about the ones they missed. It’s not about balls, it’s about showing some humility. With that said, congratulations on your accurate prediction!

35. By Richard S on May 12, 2015 | Reply

pv=nRt; case closed. v = volume pretty much the same, n = no. of moles the same, R the gas constant, pressure is proportional to absolute temperature and a small change in temperature won’t deflate the balls as much as they were deflated.

36. By Dynosoar on May 12, 2015 | Reply

krehbieo,

Excellent observation, but for some of us if we documented our misses that’s all you’d be reading about.

ie. The Lombardi Trophy or Nothing at All. Haha!

Well… I may get prediction right this season. Go Cards!

37. By Chuck 1 on May 12, 2015 | Reply

I’m damned with faint praise.
    Thanks for your backhanded slap.

38. By tyman on May 12, 2015 | Reply

When is Mr.Kraft going to appoligize to the NFL?

Thats what he wanted if it was proven nothing was done wrong.

Looks bad on him.

39. By rod on May 12, 2015 | Reply

I don’t have a problem with the suspension but the fine and 1st round pick is too much.

I want to point out that the other day on a radio show somebody said that 4 of the Colts balls were under inflated in the same game and I just heard on Around the Horn that Aaron Rodgers over inflates his footballs.

It’s not ok to cheat but it appears a lot of QBs do the same thing but Brady is taking the fall and I think it’s commendable that he isn’t saying well “many other QBs do it too”.

Not a Patriots fan just want to put a balanced view on the table.

40. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on May 12, 2015 | Reply

Read 125 pages of “the Report”. What a waste. There is literally no evidence Brady caused others to deflate balls below permissible levels nor that he was aware that they would, might or did for any given game.

The only discernable “fact” they have to “convict” Brady, literally, is a negative inference from his refusal to turn over his cell phone (or transcripts of text messages if available?) as requested. Is that enough? Well, they decided it was, that is all that matters… until Brady’s appeal…

Pfffttt…

41. By cards62 on May 12, 2015 | Reply

Enjoyed reading every ones comments on this. and really like the Nixon comments as it is so true and JTDG that is the perfect case study.
    I think someone said they thought this might impact Brady into the HOF and at that one I had to laugh. Brady is in on the first ballot. I like Brady and for many years I liked the Patriots. Pats getting crushed by 85 Bears in Super Bowl, Darryl Stingly, sorry if I spelled his name wrong, tragedy in the preseason game and the many years of trying to be a good team and coming up short. You just had to root for them, but man over the years it has just been one thing after another. Snow Plow Game someone mentioned, but remember it was not just a game but a playoff game and maybe the AFC Championship game that year and the refs allowed that? I remember watching that game and not believing what I was seeing. Do not remember exactly but was that the same game with the tuck rule? I remember tuck rule game was against the Raiders and I am not a Raider Fan but that was a fumble. then you have spy gate, and now you have deflate gate. Patriots are a great team and deserve some of their Championships, but man I do not root for them any more. Packers keep winning and I still like them and how they do things, Steelers keep winning and beat our beloved Cardinals and I still like them, but man I just do not care for the Patriots anymore, Hope they do not win another playoff game for at least 10 years. If every team cheats like this why are we not reading about the other teams getting caught?? Do you not think any team will turn in the Cowboys? Bears – Packers or any of the other many division foes great rivalries will turn on the other in a second. Just wish for Brady, and the equipment guys to tell the truth. Hated Lance Armstrong, Roger Clemens, Mark McGuire, and Barry Bonds for their many lies over the years, and deflate gate in my opinion is definitely no where as serious as steriods/HGH but a lie is a lie, plus I will hate to see them play the legal system and keep this going for a year or two to try and have the punishment delayed and eventually reduced.

42. By Scott H on May 13, 2015 | Reply

One more thing that shows just how just plain wrong my view of this is….I was so damn glad that the Pats beat the Seahawks in that SB that I didn’t even care if they cheated to get there! I just needed the Seahawks to lose! And no one else from the AFC was gonna do it, so….I’m glad the Pats made it to the SB and I’m just not finding it in me to be up-set that they may have deflated some balls to get there!

If I’m gonna be mad at Tom Brady for ANYTHING, it’s gonna be because he is super good-looking, super rich, and he gets to come home to Giselle every day! Now, THAT is un-fair! Deflating some footballs to get a better grip? Ain’t nobody got time for that!

43. By rod on May 13, 2015 | Reply

Isn’t not handing over his phone the same thing as not cooperating in an investigation and kind of an admission of guilt?

Either way, if he didn’t have anything to do with this there is something on his phone he wanted to keep so private that he was willing to have the speculation of his involvement to go on AND basically incriminate himself…I wonder what’s REALLY on that phone he wants to keep secret!!

44. By Scott H on May 13, 2015 | Reply

Hey, right or wrong, it happened in the AFC with a team that hardly ever plays the Cardinals. It had no REAL or direct impact of any significance on the Cardinals. so….it just seems so far away. If NOTHING else, it gives us all something to talk about during a time when there isn’t much else going on in the NFL – unless you find guys signing their names on a piece of paper really exciting.

And with that said….I’m moving on. I got nothing else on this.

45. By Dr. G. on May 13, 2015 | Reply

Whether the penalties//fines are appropriate, I will not offer an opinion.

When criminal and civil matters show “”probable cause,”” it gives license for search warrants. When pertinent info and facts are concealed or deleted, ((a la Hillary)), and now Brady, you are to be held in contempt. That gives justification for the NFL’s acting in good faith to protect the integrity of the game, and to maintain league credibility…..later

46. By Dr. G. on May 14, 2015 | Reply

ScottH…You need not celebrate a Pats victory over the Seahawks for a particular reason. Seattle beat themselves..! There was no victory.

I usually cast my negative vote for Pete Carroll; he is exponentially worse that Belichick… Belichick is cunning and shrewd like Eagle Eye Fleegle. Carroll is stupid shrewd…He proved it with the last call he make last year…. I still remember when he celebrated a victory over the Packers in 2013 when in fact a bad call proved he lost….later