Dansby mentions Cards in Patriots debate

Posted by Darren Urban on May 14, 2015 – 2:44 pm

There has been a ton of things written and said about the Patriots, Tom Brady and deflategate of late. That all can stand on its own — no need to rehash it here. But because of the Patriots-deserved it-Patriots-didn’t-deserve-it portion of the conversation has tentacles everywhere, in a long and winding way the Cardinals have popped up in the debate. Current Browns linebacker Karlos Dansby spoke to PFT Live, and Dansby had a moment he recalled when he and the Cardinals went back to New England in 2008 in Week 16.

You remember that game, of course (unless you’ve tried to block it from your memory.) There was no Tom Brady in that game, because Brady had been injured the first game of the season. But Matt Cassell shredded the Cards that day in the nasty snow, the Cardinals were beat up, 47-7, and people were calling the already-clinched NFC West champions the worst playoff team ever.

(Then the Cardinals nearly won the Super Bowl.)

Dansby, as a linebacker the defender who got to wear the headset in his helmet for playcalls, said his headset had never had any problems all season — until that game in New England.

“We get in Foxboro, they couldn’t get my headset fixed, for nothing in the world,” Dansby said.

Cassell had 345 yards and three touchdowns passing, and in reality, it’s hard to think the headset issue can explain away a 40-point loss, just like a football’s air didn’t impact the Pats-Colts playoff game much at all. But for Dansby, it was about the Patriots in general, which is an outlook a few players have publicly expressed.

“It’s not a secret,” Dansby said. “They gotta do what they gotta do to win, man. They gonna do what they gotta do to win. It’s just how they operate.”

SnowLosBLOG

Tags: , ,

34 Responses to “Dansby mentions Cards in Patriots debate”

1. By SteveG on May 14, 2015 | Reply

That game happened to a different team in a galaxy FAR far away……

(I wish)

2. By Gary r on May 14, 2015 | Reply

oh My. GOD…….. You are forgetting NE has the greatest (?) QB of all time and possibly the greatest coach of all time and because the headset doesn’t work????? You say that? We are passionate here in NE and we love the Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins and 4 time Super Bowl winners Patriots who also lost 2 Super Bowls on 2 of the most amazing catches in big game history. You all are haters… I would hate Pats too if I didn’t live here and live and breathe every game they play… They just win …. And win…. And win….

3. By Mano8239 on May 14, 2015 | Reply

Does he realize EVERY team does this. The Redskins faced the Buccaneers in Tampa in 2012 and during the final quarter the Redskins offense reported the communications system going out. Other case: Bill Parcells says the Giants were playing the 49ers in San Francisco and several times during the game the communications system for the Giants was interrupted mysteriously or not working. This was back in the 80s! So suspened every time and ex-player and former coach.

4. By CreditCard on May 14, 2015 | Reply

Verse 1 chapter 1 according to the Gospel of Bill Belichick:

Thou shall cheat at all costs, then deny any involvement.

5. By tkm on May 14, 2015 | Reply

all 11 of our defenders could have had working headsets that day and score would have been same,that was just a plain oldfashioned ass whipping.we were the worst team going into playoffs and seconds away from being best.

6. By carlo milano on May 14, 2015 | Reply

he threw some fuel on the fire

darren dont u have vacation or u have made it already

just tell me when i will miss your tweets and blogs

7. By Darren Urban on May 14, 2015 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: Vacation

Not yet. Although I am updating right now while attending some NFL meetings.

8. By erik on May 14, 2015 | Reply

I do not care about the Patriots at all but I guess I’ll throw my two cents in anyways. Besides the spying on other teams (which happened 8 or 9 years ago) and the SLIGHTLY deflated footballs, how exactly has this team cheated??? Managers are constantly trying to steal signs in baseball and every NFL team watches hours of film on their opponents in order to prepare for a game. You will never convince me they are the only team to ever watch an opponent’s practice. Jimmy Johnson has even gone on record saying the Cowboys used to do the exact same thing back in the day and no one cared. And that is just one dude admitting it. You know there are many more.

As far as the footballs go, many QBs, and some still active, have admitted they prefer playing with a ball that is at a PSI of their liking. These guys are allowed to keep and prepare their game balls for a very long time leading up to games. Again, you could never in a million years convince me Brady is the only guy messing with the air pressure. If the NFL actually cared at all about this, they would provide the game balls for both sides.

These things are not cheating! Tonya Harding hiring a dude to bust up Nancy Kerrigan’s knee is cheating! Once again, I do not care at all about Boston sports, but this is getting so annoying and I cannot seem to avoid it as it is everywhere right now, not just the sports websites!

This whole thing seems to me to be a media creation. A story when really there is nothing there. They love adding the suffix ‘Gate to the end of every little controversial story! Nixon was spying on the Dems while they were at the WaterGATE hotel!!!!! Stop adding Gate after everything, it has nothing to do with Watergate!!!! Sorry got off topic. Wow that was a long rant. Sorry ’bout that.

9. By Darren Urban on May 15, 2015 | Reply

Erik —

RE: Media creation

I’m not sure how it is a “media creation” when one of the top players in the NFL is facing a four-game suspension, among other penalties.

10. By Steve . on May 14, 2015 | Reply

Darren you deserve a vacation, you should join Fitz on one of his worldly jaunts around the globe!

11. By Patrick on May 14, 2015 | Reply

I think that game was lost by the equipment managers. The cardinals looked like they were learning to ice skate while the patriots had excellent traction.

12. By Dr. G. on May 14, 2015 | Reply

Dansby who? Oh, you mean the 12th place AFC team last year…that Dansby?

The guy who pounded his chest like he wanted to be Superman…that Dansby?

I have him confused with our Mr. Irrevelant who will make the team….!

13. By rod on May 14, 2015 | Reply

My COX internet wasn’t working the other night, I suspect Comcast messed with it!

14. By Steve on May 15, 2015 | Reply

Year: Fumbles/Fumbles lost:
    2001 12/ 3
    2002 11/5
    2003 13/5
    2004 8/6
    2005 6/3
    2006 14 /4
    Brady successfully lobbies to get to prepare footballs at away games…
    2007 8/5
    2008 0/0 (plays one game/injured for season).
    2009 5/3
    2010 4/1
    2011 6/2
    2012 2/0
    2013 9/4
    2014 6/3

Anyone else see pattern? When you take small hands that are prone to fumbling at the QB position, and negate the only weakness that he has, it improves the odds in your favor. Anyone who knows Bilicheck’s coaching style knows that odds figure in to every football decision.
    No character…no class…no honor. Players across the league know the truth. I will defer to them before I accept owner’s/coache’s//fan’s/media type’s opinions.

15. By dan watts on May 15, 2015 | Reply

your comment about Carlos’ headset not working not mattering is silly. It’s the equivalent of Matt Cassell’s headset not working.. You show your colors.

16. By Darren Urban on May 15, 2015 | Reply

Dan —

RE: “Not mattering”

I didn’t say it didn’t matter. Obviously, if true, it hurts a team. My point was that it was not why the Cardinals lost that day. I was there. I was around the team for the two days before that game. The vibe was never a good one. They were not ready to play that game anyway. A headset problem does not explain away the issues the offense had, right? (The only score came on a Leinart-to-Fitz missed-tackle bomb.)

I’m not sure what “colors” I am showing.

17. By Scott H on May 15, 2015 | Reply

Interesting. Yeah, of course, the Pats are not the ONLY team to be suspected of stuff like this. Little “strange” things like this happen in many places throughout the NFL. Geez, going back almost 20 years ago, didn’t the Cardinals “accuse” the Vikings of piping in crowd noise through speakers located behind their bench during the playoff game there? And haven’t other teams suspected the Vikes of doing the same thing? Haven’t the Falcons also been found guilty of doing something similar more recently?

But for those who want to defend the Pariots? Please. Just save it. Entirely too many things have gone on with them during the Bellicheck era to just shrug it off as the same kind of thing that goes on anywhere else. There is clearly a need-to-win thing there that seems to reach a point of pathological.

ALL pro sports teams WANT to win. And I’m sure many of them find “creative” ways to find whatever advantages they can. What is that saying they have around NASCAR….if you’re not cheating, then you’re not trying? OK. I get that. And in terms of the “creative” things teams may do that do not clearly violate the rules of the game….hey, I probably have no problem with most of them. To an extent, I agree that if you’re not trying to find those little advantages ( I stop short of using the word cheating ), then maybe you really aren’t trying!

But the Patriots? No. They have clearly shown that they NEED to win and they ARE willing to cheat to get there.

18. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on May 15, 2015 | Reply

Dansby report notable. Pat haters in luck, the fix is in. Goodell let Vincent send ruling so he could act as arbitrator in lieu of an independent…dirty trick, dirty bidness, even if the Wells report is largely bogus. Cant hurt Cards; still, bogus…

Go C. Palmer et al… wondering if more roster churn, wondering if the signed FAs stick…wondering if the injured heal… Go Cards.

19. By G.Witt on May 15, 2015 | Reply

I could be wrong, but didn’t NE have a grounds keeper that was plowing snow on the side lines, clear a path for the field goal kicker? I think it was against Miami.
    Don’t remember who either of the coaches were back then.
    Hopefully with the NFL coming down hard on NE will detour other teams from pushing the rules of the game. Just remember, what goes around comes around.

20. By JohnnyBluenose on May 15, 2015 | Reply

this is a great photo!!!

21. By Richard L on May 15, 2015 | Reply

More Belicheat and Tom Deflaity. I think the NFL should institute a rule that if the Headsets go out for one team then both teams can’t use them. Enough said.

22. By BIGAL on May 15, 2015 | Reply

So what year was Spygate exposed? I remember Eric Mangini, former disciple of
    Belicheat became HC of the Jets & dropped a dime on NE. That year Mangini’s Jets beat NE & Belicheat blew Mangini off @ the end of the game hand shake…

And boy, don’t know that 1. I ever saw Kurt Warner struggle that much in a game!
    2. Matt Cassle has never played even close to as good in any game sense!

Now Pats fans will say, well they knew Whiz’s scheme from his time in Pittsburg…
    But that don’t help Matt Cassle have a career game!

And By G.Witt
    Yes! You are correct! And the guy operating the snow plow was on a work furlough release program from a nearby prison! That’s a fact!
    Just sayin…

23. By Richard L on May 15, 2015 | Reply

Who’s the Patriot Fan on the Cards blog giving me thumbs down. Show yourself. Loser

24. By Andy Kw on May 15, 2015 | Reply

I made up Tom Deflatey. Glad it is catching on.

25. By Andy Kw on May 15, 2015 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Not really Cardinals related, do you think aging guys like Michael Vick, Steven Jackson, & Santana Moss will be able find a team before the season begins?

26. By Darren Urban on May 16, 2015 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: Vick/Moss

No idea. If you are asking about them as Cards, that’s not going to happen.

27. By Jeff A on May 16, 2015 | Reply

Gary r: They do have ONE OF the greatest QBs and ONE OF the greatest coaches of all time. The problem is how much comes from their rampant cheating? It sure is easy for a great QB to make the right plays when his coach illegally knows the other team’s tendencies and what plays they run out of what formations. A slightly deflated ball is easier to hold when hit. I think the deflation of footballs affects the team’s overall fumble rate more than Brady’s throwing. New England’s fumble rate the last seven years or so has been so much better that I remember fantasy football sources three or four years ago that would upgrade a RB going there because New England had a “magical” effect on fumble rates so they figured that RB (Dillon, maybe) would probably learn to fumble less. They gave kudos to coaching, but now we know the truth.

I’m sure things like this go on at all teams at one time or another and oftentimes are done by one or two individuals, but the Patriots get caught more often AND it is usually a bigger conspiracy involving multiple personnel.

All cheating aside, these two games discussed were one sided and the result was not swayed by the cheating or potential cheating in question which makes it all the more sad. The Patriots have for a good while been a really good team and good enough to be champs without cheating which makes it a shame they tarnish themselves by cheating to get that last little edge. Be men and just beat the other team fairly. Yeah, I said it.

Why no mention of the Super Bowl against the Bears in your list? I guess back then they didn’t Win (Cheat) and Win (Cheat) and Win (Cheat)…LOL

Richard L: Clearly it’s Gary r…

Lastly, the moniker of worst Super Bowl team is extremely tiring. They clearly weren’t. Going position by position and looking at team cohesion they were one of the top NFL teams. What they were not was made up of veterans and experienced winners at the pro level. They were young and talented and the veterans they had didn’t have experience winning plus they had a new head coach. They could win when it was important, but couldn’t keep it up when the need to win wasn’t there. I’ve experienced this at opposite ends of the spectrum. I was on a similar team in high school which had lost for a long time and usually ended up with 3 or 4 wins. For two years, we were really talented and won early on gaining rankings near the top of our state, but when we hit the games that had less meaning in the middle of the schedule and against weaker teams we couldn’t keep our edge or composure. We would start to lose and the season would snowball. You could see it and you could feel it. It looked exactly like that Card’s Super Bowl season except they were able to hold onto a bad division and once games mattered again they had their edge back. Like Plummer always played or like a lot of pitchers near the end of the regular season or when their team has a big lead in a game and they give up a bunch of runs because they can’t focus without the pressure. I went to a D3 college where a 7-3 season was a borderline failure and it had been forever since they had a losing record. While I was there we had the longest home win streak in NCAA across all divisions when either Nebraska or Miami lost at home. In D1, the streak went from one of those teams to the other , can’t remember which one. Anyway, in college where winning was a way of life you could feel the difference on the field, in the clubhouse, and at games. Because coaches and older players were used to winning they had that veteran presence to keep the team focused at all times. This is what the Cardinals were missing that year when they hit that bad stretch.

28. By William Barry on May 16, 2015 | Reply

Truly a great picture of Karlos Dansby in the snow. Uniform looks fabulous!!!—That 2008 season was great!!!! (but I would still rather have BA and Steve Keim over Wiz and Graves)…

In our superbowl, I swear that WR Santonio Holmes foot was out of bounds that put Pittsburg ahead!!!

Now its our turn to Win a SB!!!

29. By Crow on May 17, 2015 | Reply

Hey, Darren
    Whats the word on Phillip Sims…….. i heard from a different source arians really likes this kid? could he be in the mix for that number 3 QB job?

30. By Darren Urban on May 17, 2015 | Reply

Crow —

RE: Sims

Never say never, but I still think it’s a very long shot.

31. By Dynosoar on May 17, 2015 | Reply

William Berry,

I believe Holmes’ foot was in bounds. It was a magnificent catch.

HOWEVER,

there were two blocks to the back on the interception return to end the second half. I always thought a block to the back was illegal, perhaps I’m mistaken.

That would’ve changed halftime for both teams.

I just want to win a Super Bowl (or four), then we won’t need to look back at that one.

32. By American Sports Legacy on May 17, 2015 | Reply

It’s unfortunate that teams cheat, but I think in recent light of the Patriots deflation scandal, its reasonable to assume that most teams probably cheat on some level. The Patriots just got caught. There are other teams doing dirty deeds out there.

33. By BIGAL on May 18, 2015 | Reply

By Dynosoar
    I’m with you! I also saw the two ‘clipps’ or blocks to the back…on the Harrison
    interception return, & thought the same thing? Isn’t that a penalty? I also kept yelling, “just fall down in front of him Kurt!”

And on the Holmes catch…hate to say it but it was a GREAT CATCH, & THROW!
    to beat us! We had four DB’s in the corner & they couldn’t get a finger on it!
    Still Haunts…

34. By Jon on May 28, 2015 | Reply

The NFL already has a rule in effect since electronic comms were allowed that if one team informs the refs that their headsets are not working, the refs orders the comms for BOTH TEAMS shut off.

Amazing that supposedly informed football fans are ignorant of this decades old rule. Seems to be true that too much booze and drugs do kill what limited number of brain cells you might have been given.