OTAs open with a determined Palmer, and other notes

Posted by Darren Urban on May 19, 2015 – 11:07 am

The Cardinals had the first of their 10 organized team activities of the offseason this morning. Coach Bruce Arians called it crisp and noted the work got done quickly enough that the team ended early. Quarterback Carson Palmer looked good in limited work — more on Palmer’s drive to get back on the field in a bit when I have a story on the homepage — and Arians said there is a chance that Palmer could be back for even more reps (regular reps?) by the time the Cards reach their minicamp in mid-June. I’ll admit, when they said that once upon a time I was thinking it was much too optimistic, but clearly, Palmer has a good chance to prove me wrong.

Some other quick notes/thoughts from the first OTA:

— The draft class is doing work on Field 2 during 11-on-11 (except for OLB Shaq Riddick, who tweaked his hamstring last week.) D.J. Humphries is the third-string left tackle for now, a long way from usurping Bobby Massie. Arians said the rookies have a lot of work to do to get on Field 1, although it could happen as we go. (This is the first of the draft classes from Keim/Arians that I can remember all the draftees on Field 2. Usually someone is working on the main field.)

— Arians praised everyone’s conditioning but he particularly noted the good shape of guard Jonathan Cooper and wide receiver Michael Floyd.

— Speaking of Cooper, Arians was asked if Cooper was better at knowing when to “gut it out” and play. Arians said it’s tough to gut it out when you are simply injured as Cooper had been, including his broken leg. “You can’t gut out broken bones, unless you’re Jack Youngblood,” Arians said. “Then the coach gets sued these days. Back then, it was cool.”

— As I’ve noted before, Matt Shaughnessy has moved to defensive end in the 3-4, which Arians called his more natural spot. He’s flipped with Kareem Martin, who is at linebacker now.

BlogFirstOTAuse

Tags: , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “OTAs open with a determined Palmer, and other notes”

1. By Bruce on May 19, 2015 | Reply

OMG!!! So excited!!!! This is killing me. Darren, thank you for throwing us these bones. They are much MUCH appreciated. Keep’em coming my brother.

2. By rod on May 19, 2015 | Reply

Color me excited to get going…

We want videos of of all of this that are longer than 2 minutes in length in the video section…

Make it so Sir Urban…

3. By Darren Urban on May 19, 2015 | Reply

Rod —

RE: Two minutes

Don’t hold your breath on the time. Very few watch videos longer than two minutes. So we try not to make too many.

4. By D on May 19, 2015 | Reply

Going to be a long summer of studying the playbook for the rookies if they want a chance of starting.
    Darren, refresh my sun dried brain again on the # of RB’s you expect to be on the roster on opening week. It appears some tough choices will need to be made at that spot.
    thanks

5. By Darren Urban on May 19, 2015 | Reply

D —

RE: Running backs

As of right now, I’d guess Ellington, Williams, Johnson, Hughes and Taylor.

6. By Dynosoar on May 19, 2015 | Reply

I’ve been know to watch two minute videos several times. then get my family and say “watch this.” (Usually to watch it by myself again.)

Several two minute vids, only a couple two minute vids or a lengthy one, I’ll watch.

7. By Scott H on May 19, 2015 | Reply

I was saying to someone just today that if Palmer had not gone down last year with the injury, he might have been on his way to his best season ever. He wasn’t putting up gaudy Andrew Luck type fantasy stats, but he was sure as hell playing smart, solid QB. What really stood out was how effectively he was NOT throwing INT’s.

It is SUCH a shame that the only two times in his career that Palmer appeared to REALLY have a chance to take a team deep into the post-season, he was taken down by knee injuries. And his seasons were over. Done.

It’s not like Carson Palmer should have a SB trophy handed to him just because of the tragic bad breaks he has had. BUT….if there is ANY justice in this world, the fates will allow him to stay healthy for an entire season with a legit contender ( as the Cardinals are in 2015 ) so he can finally HAVE that chance to take a team as far as he is capable of taking them. He DOES deserve that.

Kurt Warner taking this team to a SB in 2008 was such an AMAZING story. Imagine how AMAZING it would be for Carson Palmer to do it near the end of his career as well!

Shoot, after the way this team was shot up by injuries last year….this TEAM deserves a chance to take its best shot, too.

8. By DTL on May 19, 2015 | Reply

5 RB? Wow. 4TE? Was thinking 5 receivers, not enuff room, huh.

Highly impressed with C. Palmer intensity.

Love the QB competition. Wondered if Harnish practice squad eligible?

9. By DTL on May 19, 2015 | Reply

Dyno: sounds like a 2 minute drill at her house…

10. By sbrown on May 19, 2015 | Reply

D –
    last season, Cards kept five RB’s on the 53 man roster,( Ellington, Taylor, Williams, Hughes, Grice ) Team also had Bauman, Dwyer, Thigpen, Parmele on roster at some time during season.
    my guess is that Cards will keep the same number of RB’s this year.

11. By Scott H on May 19, 2015 | Reply

It was up on NFL.com a little earlier that Arians was declaring that the #3 QB spot on the roster is wide open. In other words, perhaps it does not automatically belong to Logan Thomas. OK. But….really, didn’t most of us kinda know that already?

I, for one, am glad to hear Arians call it that way. I don’t mean to sound like I am just against Logan Thomas, but….I just have not felt it with this kid. He was obviously NOWHERE near ready to play at the NFL level last year and, well….that is NOT what I want as my 3rd string QB on my team! Whether it is Logan Thomas or someone else, have someone at that spot who can give you a chance for Pete’s sake!

Give us someone who does NOT necessitate the need for Ryan Lindley. How’ bout that?

Taking it easy on Palmer and maybe even Stanton a little bit during camp should give plenty of opportunity to look at these young guys. And that should allow plenty of opportunity for one of them to emerge. Hopefully, one of them will make the choice an easy one!

12. By John The Draft Guy on May 19, 2015 | Reply

Looks like Logan Thomas might have to fight to make the team.

Arians says;
    Arians has been particularly impressed with Sims, who began his college career at Alabama.

“He was able to get it. His reads were correct,” Arians gushed after rookie minicamp. “He actually changed a protection once and I was like, ‘Whoa, you’re up to level five already. These guys can’t do that.’ And he was very accurate. He got my attention. He’s in the mix.”

13. By Eazy E on May 20, 2015 | Reply

Shaughnessy WILL have a nice year this year!

14. By Garth Short on May 20, 2015 | Reply

Should we consider it good news or bad news that none of the draftees made it to Field #1?