Tackling some work with different coaches

Posted by Darren Urban on May 21, 2015 – 1:48 pm

During a portion of today’s OTA when position groups were working on their own, each of the three lines of defense — the defensive line, the linebackers and the defensive backs — went to work with coaches. Except the coaches were not their own. The linebackers headed over to pass rush coach Tom Pratt. The defensive backs were with linebackers coaches Bob Sanders and Larry Foote. And the defensive line was working with secondary coaches Nick Rapone and Kevin Ross.

It’s part of the “tackling circuit,” cornerback Patrick Peterson said. For instance, he said the defensive backs were working with Sanders on how to come off a cut block to make a play. “It’s just to work on all that,” Peterson said. “Get different looks.” The players rotate daily.

There is only so much tackling work you can ever do at practice. Getting after a tackling dummy and/or sliding off a blocking sled to get in the right position to tackle is about the extent. Added benefit of this sequence: All the defensive coaches get time with all the different players on that side of the ball.

tacklingBlog

Tags: , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “Tackling some work with different coaches”

1. By Crow on May 21, 2015 | Reply

would this be the same Bob sanders as the 2007 defensive player of the year?

2. By Darren Urban on May 21, 2015 | Reply

Crow —

RE: Sanders

No. Different guy.

3. By SteveG on May 21, 2015 | Reply

I am aware of BA’s feelings about the lack of practice time…what is the consensus among the players? Do they feel the same (rookies likely want more reps I am sure)..Do vets prefer the lightened load?

Darren?

4. By Darren Urban on May 21, 2015 | Reply

Steve G —

RE: Practice

I think the longer you are in the league, the less time you need to practice and the more you understand you don’t need it as much. That said, I’m sure some vets like reps — Palmer hates losing out on reps right now — but the rules are what they are. No coach ever has enough time to practice and prepare. That’s how coaches are.

5. By Leeskicitizen on May 21, 2015 | Reply

We are blessed with an extremely talented coaching staff. These methods of giving players time with different coaches will pay dividends when coach Bettcher and his staff start getting creative with the defense schemes. This technique also gives the players a better awareness of what their counterparts are doing on the field, creating a greater sense of practical unity amongst the players. I really like this approach.

This is why we bring in smart coachable players.

6. By cobra on May 21, 2015 | Reply

Off subject. Could you write something on the public thoughts of our uniforms? Seems there is a writer at ESPN who thinks we have about the worst uniforms in the NFL. I’m thinking, strange eye from a strange guy? I think we have done our best with the Cardinal color. If I remember correct, the female cardinal would be a different color from a male. So, we have red jerseys for some games and black for some games. Works for us. Not sure but may be a Giant, Jets, New England or East coast fan chasing a rainbow!!!!

7. By Dynosoar on May 21, 2015 | Reply

you stated “No coach ever has enough time to practice and prepare. That’s how coaches are.”

There’s never been a truer statement.

I’m wondering, does any other team have two practice fields running like Arians does? It would seem someone would pick up on what he began and copy it for themselves?

8. By Darren Urban on May 22, 2015 | Reply

Dyno —

RE: Two fields

I would be surprised if someone else isn’t doing it. But I don’t know for sure.

9. By Dynosoar on May 21, 2015 | Reply

I’m not saying I’m behind Logan Thomas, because I’m behind whoever is the best. I’m a Cardinals fan and as much as I love the players playing for us (or don’t love, if all they do is fair catch), but I want to address the comments I see all the time that Logan didn’t show anything last season.

I believe in his first drive he did show something. He moved the ball effectively ending in a 40 or so yard touchdown play by threading the needle so to speak with a pass to Brown. It was an awesome pass play.

Then, then it fell apart. But in that series of plays he showed me he could be an NFL quarterback. I don’t know what happened after that. I wish he was consistent, but if he’s not, there’s someone more consistent hungering for that third spot.

I don’t have anything vested in any one player, I’m vested in the Cardinals, so let the best man win.

Go Cardinals!

10. By JohnnyBluenose on May 22, 2015 | Reply

Dyno….we haven’t seen enough of Thomas to know if he has the potential to be an NFL quarterback. I think he got Lucky on his first pass and threw an 80 yard or so long td pass. I don’t think he completed another pass that day. It’s true he did not get many reps once the season began but obviously he did not inspire any confidence last year because we went with Lindley once Stanton went down. I do not expect him to be in the mix this year. Will he show enough to be our third string this year with a chance to be our back-up in 2016? Time will tell but somehow I doubt it. Maybe he will consider trying to be a tight end or perhaps, like Michael Sam, he will try the Canadian Football League.

11. By Richard L on May 22, 2015 | Reply

I like the idea of Patrick Peterson getting tackling instruction from the Linebackers coach. Lets hope it translates on the field. As NFL.com writes and from what I’ve seen ” Peterson, however, is best described as a reluctant tackler on the perimeter.”

12. By JohnnyBluenose on May 22, 2015 | Reply

@cobra…i like our uniforms. I think they are better than most teams. And anyone who says ours are the worst has never seen the Tennessee Titans uniforms.

13. By Dynosoar on May 22, 2015 | Reply

Cobra,

To that “writer” of the worst uniforms.
    (Alphabetical, mostly) – (I may not like some teams very much (Steelers, Cowboys, Giants and Seahawks), but the uniforms are Not the team.)

WORST UNIFORMS:

White uniforms (7):
    Bears, Chiefs (white pants version), Cowboys, Giants, Saints, Seahawks and 49ers

Alternate/throwback uniforms (6):
    CARDINALS (black), Broncos, Cowboys, Jets, Packers and Steelers

Helmets (3):
    Chargers (white), Falcons (black) and Jaguars

BEST UNIFORMS

Main (15):
    CARDINALS, Colts, Cowboys, Dolphins, Jaguars (minus the helmet), Jets, Lions, Packers, Raiders (including some of the fans “uniforms”) Redskins, Seahawks, Steelers, Texans, Titans and Vikings,

White (5):
    CARDINALS, Packers, Redskins, Steelers and Titans

Throwback (4):
    Buccaneers, Panthers, Patriots and Rams

Helmets 6):
    CARDINALS, Bengals, Buccaneers, Giants (that metallic blue is awesome!), Redskins and Vikings

I believe the Best Uniforms Overall are (5):
    CARDINALS, Packers, Redskins, Steelers and Vikings

14. By Dynosoar on May 22, 2015 | Reply

JohnnyBluenose,

Yeah, as to Thomas the only thing I saw last season that gave me confidence was that one drive. The rest of that game did Not give me confidence. I’m not concerned who’s third string, Thomas, Simms, another, as long as they are better than the Thomas I saw last year and the Lindley I saw last year I’ll be satisfied.

If that translates to Thomas is improved or another beats him out, I’m good.

Like you said, only one drive was good, the rest…

We improved the O-Line this offseason and that should translate real well to better QB play, more points, more wins, deeper into the playoffs. We’ll see, but I’m as ever… a wee bit optimistic.

15. By BigBobDiesel on May 23, 2015 | Reply

Dyno,

The Thomas completion was to Ellington, not Brown.

16. By Dynosoar on May 23, 2015 | Reply

BigBobDiesel,

Yes. Yes it was.

I wish my memory was more like a steel trap… instead of a steel tarp.

Haha!

Still, one awesome play and the ball was threaded so to speak. On of the best pass plays of the entire season, for any team. It would be sweet to have a third string QB that could make that kind of throw with consistency.

17. By Dynosoar on May 23, 2015 | Reply

So Cobra, what does your uniform list look like?

18. By Dr. G. on May 23, 2015 | Reply

Shuffling coaches is simply a brilliant tactic. And as for Peterson, Richard L, he is in serious need of tackling help. I posted earlier that he avoids heavy contact whenever possible…making some opponents look good by just going for the ball and shoving…resulting in missed opportunities. He is bigger than Mathieu, and 1/4th as brave..!

PP was a running back… He said he would rather not get hit, so he insisted on becoming a corner… I want to see him get it together or move to safety…which is where he should be…and start braving the tackling…. He needs to nut it up…touted the best athlete in the 2011 draft…??

My hope for Logan is to perform well…such great physical attributes…later Cards Fans

19. By rod on May 24, 2015 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Does your software tell you if it’s the same couple people who give thumbs down?

Sure seems like if someone said the Cardinals name is the Cardinals some numb skull would still thumbs it down.

20. By Darren Urban on May 24, 2015 | Reply

Rod –

RE: Thumbs

No idea. The only reason I have thumbs in the first place is because you guys asked for it.

21. By JohnnyBluenose on May 24, 2015 | Reply

Darren….I like the thumbs but, like Rod, I think some people give a thumbs down for reasons known only to themselves and that really have nothing to do with what the comment is about.

22. By rod on May 24, 2015 | Reply

I see the same couple people gave it the thumbs down. Hey you know what, to make them mad, Darren you outta just remove the thumbs down and keep the thumbs up so they can’t do it🙂 teeeeheeee….

23. By Dynosoar on May 25, 2015 | Reply

rod and JohnnyBluenose specifically and everyone else in general,

I like the thumbs up AND the thumbs down.

I realize that ever since I pointed out a year ago that Dan Snyder gives gobbs of money to the Republican party and the Democrats in the Senate 100% signed a letter to have the Redskins name changed (not trying to be political, just was pointing out facts) I get two thumbs down on almost every post.

I just accept that whatever I write, their are two people (or one using two separate computers) will give me a thumbs down.

Now, if I get a large amount of downs or the ratio is more down than up, I re-read what I wrote and evaluate where I stand and as you may have noticed, will sometimes ask questions to understand better.

I like the thumbs down as it can be an opportunity for me to have better understanding. I also accept I will almost always have two thumbs down by the end of a weekday and that’s ok by me.

24. By Dr. G. on May 25, 2015 | Reply

Dyno- – -I think you need this blog; it fulfills a passion you have for our team. Do not take things too personally. A difference of opinion is what makes a horse race. And remember that every blog has its hecklers…

To wit, whenever I point the obvious regarding PP, I expect the fans of individual players to react not in the best interest of the team. Another example is Logan. I want him to succeed because it is very hard to develop a franchise QB…””the team again.””

A great day to our vets of which I am one…we need to begin to better preserve what was gifted to us by our brave ancestors…many do not realize that freedom is not free…everyone needs to participate…be well

25. By Scott H on May 25, 2015 | Reply

Granted, the defense left so little to gripe about last season. BUT over the last month or so of the season ( as everything else was collapsing with no viable QB and no ability to run the ball ), something that DID suddenly stand out as, well, pretty damn awful was the tackling. It was HORRIBLE. Yeah, the defense was pretty shot up by then and the guys who were even left at that point were probably worn down. But….ya still gotta tackle.

So….good that this is a focus now. LOVE the way this coaching staff prepares!

26. By Scott H on May 25, 2015 | Reply

Darren –

First, hope you had a good holiday weekend.

Just wanted to clarify something….did I hear you correctly from a response you gave on a recent blog that the punter from last year – Butler – is still here and is still the competition for Zastudil going into the summer?

Please, say it ain’t so!

’cause if it is…..then I have to wonder who this guy has incriminating pictures of.

Good lord, PLEASE let Zastudil be back and healthy for this season….

27. By rod on May 25, 2015 | Reply

Dinosaur —

Now you’re going to get three from now on!!

😉

28. By Dynosoar on May 26, 2015 | Reply

Dr. G.,

No, I don’t take many things personally. I reflect and then change if I see I need to, otherwise I stay the course. And yeah, we all need this blog. To discuss our team with friends (not many Cardinals fans in my neck of the woods.) But nah, I recognize my thumbs for what they are and evaluate when need be.

Thanks for serving our country. Thank you.

29. By Dynosoar on May 26, 2015 | Reply

rod,

What? Three!

Man, that was awesome.

30. By Dynosoar on May 26, 2015 | Reply

Sapper,

if you’re still out there, I hope your day yesterday was a good one.

br in nc,

so gald your home and back with us.

To all other Veterans,

man, you did more than anyone on our team and mostly for people in other nations, some of whom hate you for it. Whether they’re grateful or not, I am. Thanks for helping others have freedom and a better life. Thanks, and in the words of a friend of ours…

Be well.

31. By Edward Mesa AZ on May 27, 2015 | Reply

To All –

Re: QB situation. If we need to worry about our third QB, then the rest really doesn’t matter. (Oline, Defense, Offense, Special Teams) We see how far 3rd strings Qb’s make it in the post season. (Kitna, Lindley, Jackson)

While there is a reality that the third string could play, which is in my opinion a fluke, then there won’t be too much past the 16 guaranteed games.