Palmer on the run and other OTA notes

Posted by Darren Urban on May 26, 2015 – 10:51 am

The Cardinals started their second week of OTAs today after the long weekend, a session that coach Bruce Arians said started a little slowly in mental and communication terms before the Cardinals straightened things out. Quarterback Carson Palmer continues to sit out 11-on-11 work but in 7-on-7, on a play where coverage was good, he even took off on a scramble. Now, obviously there is no contact anyway and in 7-on-7, there are really no defenders matched up with the QB anyway, but still, a scramble.

“I’ve watched him run all over this place for the last month,” Arians said. “That part doesn’t bother me at all.”

Now for a couple of offensive line tidbits, with the caveat that, in the offseason, little can be determined about the offensive or defensive line.

— Arians, for that reason, didn’t have much to say about how new guard Mike Iupati looks. “Mike’s not a soccer player,” Arians said. “He’s a physical guy and now’s not a time to be physical.”

It doesn’t mean the Cardinals don’t have high hopes for Iupati. But that’s a discussion for training camp.

— As for the battle at center between Ted Larsen and A.Q. Shipley, there is a little more to that because the center can at least snap the ball. “It’s been back and forth every day,” Arians said. “Teddy had some problems snapping the ball in shotgun the first couple of days. ‘Q’ knows the offense inside and out. It’ll be a battle until the end.”

— As for first-round pick D.J. Humphries, Arians said the tackle “needs to mature a little bit” and that his progress has been slow.

CarsonScramble

Tags: , , , , , ,

26 Responses to “Palmer on the run and other OTA notes”

1. By carlo milano on May 26, 2015 | Reply

arians like admitting humphries wasnt worth a first round pick
    i heard BA and SK that a first rounder should start since his rookie season

2. By Bruce on May 26, 2015 | Reply

Good stuff. Glad to see Carson running around. I think we all are. Darren do you think we will hear anything on Washington soon? May is almost over. Thanks.

3. By Craig on May 26, 2015 | Reply

Hello Darren,

I am also anxious to hear about Washington but my question is about Okafor. Is he looking at any suspension because of his arrest earlier in the year?

4. By Darren Urban on May 26, 2015 | Reply

Craig —

RE: Okafor

I do not believe so.

As for the Washington questions, I’m sure when something happens, everyone will know. There is no set date within which to hear something.

5. By zzzott on May 26, 2015 | Reply

The fact that DJ needs to mature a little bit is not surprising since he IS one year removed from college and trying to make it on an upper echelon NFL team. Let’s also not forget that he was advised to spend one more year in school by the NFL draft advisory board. Why? Who knows? Maturity issues maybe? NFL will grow him up quicker than college I’ll wager. Keim got us a top 5 pick one year early by his estimation…

6. By Steve . on May 26, 2015 | Reply

Darren: If Sendlein had agreed to accept a paycut do you believe he would still be the starting center or had his play deteriorated to the point where Arians and Keim felt a change was needed?

7. By Darren Urban on May 26, 2015 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Sendlein

Hard to say. I think he would have been in the mix. Nothing guaranteed.

8. By Tyler on May 26, 2015 | Reply

Here’s to hoping Humphries isn’t casted aside by Arians, as our first round offensive lineman have been it appears…

9. By Andy Kw on May 26, 2015 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    DT Tommy Kelly is probably the top option to return to the Cardinals if any more injuries occur to that DT position right?
    Is there a battle between Xavier Williams and Alameda Ta’amu? Is Ed Stinson in contention for the starting DT job?

10. By Darren Urban on May 26, 2015 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: Questions

1. No idea
    2. Probably
    3. As of today, starters are Campbell, Peters, Frostee.

11. By Crow on May 26, 2015 | Reply

As for tommy kelley is he still on the roster? competing for a spot on that d line?

12. By Scott H on May 26, 2015 | Reply

Carson Palmer scrambling??? Oh, heyell no…..

Alright, Darren, we are going to have to ask you to step in and take care of this. We obviously can’t count on anyone else. Stop everything you are doing and focus on protecting our QB! He tries to scramble? You shut it down. Anyone gets near him? You take them out. He’s not wearing the knee brace? You have it right there in your pocket, ready to go. He needs a decaf latte ( with whipped cream ) between snaps? You have one on stand-by at all times.

Take care of this, man. The whole season may depend on it.

13. By Doug b on May 26, 2015 | Reply

How’s TE Nicklas and OLB Martin looking? I’m hoping those two take a big step forward. If those two hit their potential they both could be game changers on their side of the ball respectively.

14. By cards62 on May 26, 2015 | Reply

Funny Stuff Scott H and I do think our whole season depends upon Palmer playing all season. Our backup QB is a lot better than we have had in the past, but lets face it that is not saying much, Drew Stanton can help us win a couple of games but he will not take this team to the Super Bowl.
    Encouraging to see Palmer doing what he is doing so soon after surgery,
    My big concerns right now is our front 7 on defense, and punter. I can not take another year of Butler.

Concerning our OT Humphries do not worry too much about the maturity comment. I live in Florida and all the comments before the draft on him was just that he had to get stronger. Hope he beats out Massie by the time the season is over. I was surprised we selected him, but hope he works out for us.

This is the critical year for Cooper. We really need for him to play well and our Oline should be solid and hopefully great by season end..

Go Cards

15. By Black on May 26, 2015 | Reply

Has DJ even signed yet? Building him up would only be leverage.

16. By Darren Urban on May 27, 2015 | Reply

Black —

RE: Humphries signing

The two have nothing to do with each other. Humphries hasn’t signed, but it’s a matter of when, not if.

17. By Garth Short on May 27, 2015 | Reply

Humphries=More maturity needed=Oh! Oh!

18. By shannon robinson on May 27, 2015 | Reply

I don’t know who that person is that slanders Pat Tillman’s name on our twitter feed, nor do I wish to ever repeat his name. I am requesting that we ban him from having any access to the Cardinals media which may not be easy but is certainly worth the effort. As a fan of the Cards, a season ticket holder when shade was essential, and therefor one of Pat Tillman’s fans, I really don’t want to read his trash again even by accident. I don’t think he has any right to freedom of speech on this site. He may think he’s a Christian Soldier but I know he’s the Devil himself. I would appreciate and assist this effort to silence him. Thank you.

19. By Darren Urban on May 27, 2015 | Reply

Shannon —

RE: Banning

Not sure who/where you are talking. Need a link.

20. By Sir60 on May 27, 2015 | Reply

Shannon

Freedom of speech is not just for those that you think should have freedom of speech.

21. By Scott H on May 27, 2015 | Reply

shannon –

Hard for me to believe anyone would / could have disparaging things to say about Pat Tillman or his memory. I would not even dignify him / her with a response, to be honest. Oh, I would definitely want to say something but…what’s the point? He / she obviously has their issues and I say let that be their problem. Some people can’t be helped ( like Seahawks fans!🙂 )

On this topic, I LOVED the pic of the #40 with the Cardinal logo in it that was projected onto the stadium. Very strong.

22. By Xeano on May 27, 2015 | Reply

Darren –

Is there any word on Dave Zastudil? It occurred to me the other day that his injury, while frequently overlooked, was rather crucial in the outcome of last season. Is he healthy? Is there a probable training camp battle between him and Drew Butler?

23. By Darren Urban on May 27, 2015 | Reply

Xeano —

RE: Zastudil

Zastudil is here and healthy.

24. By Scott H on May 27, 2015 | Reply

cards62 –

Well, Darren is clarifying that Zastudil is healthy and ready to go, so….thank the lord. I hear ya about Butler. I am still shocked that he remained the punter for the entire season last year. I have had nothing but praise for Uncle Bruce / his coaches and those involved in personnel moves, but…..seeing Butler keep his job last year while he was absolutely KILLING us was ( still IS ) somewhat un-settling. Finding a punter more capable than Butler was could NOT have been that difficult.

We can only hope DZ stays healthy and needing another punter doesn’t become an issue. Because I’m pretty sure Butler will be available….

Xeano –

Perfectly said and 100% right on. You would hardly ever think of losing your punter to injury as a “crucial ” loss. Unless, of course, your punter is a Pro Bowler and his replacement….um….isn’t. Having DZ back to handle the punts is just about as good as seeing Palmer back to take the snaps!

NOW, all we need is a return guy who will actually try to return a punt once in awhile and happy days will be here again!

25. By clssylssy on May 28, 2015 | Reply

Shannon–
    When it comes to Twitter, like any social media sites, your are going to find jerks and wingnuts whose ignorance is reflected in their disrespectful, usually provocative (not intellectually speaking) jabs. The sad irony in this particular situation is that Pat Tillman died protecting the very freedom that these idiots abuse through their freedom of speech; to ban or censor, while a very appealing idea, is contrary to one of the basic freedoms Tillman was defending.
    Best thing to do is these kinds of situations, IMO, is to just ignore and move on as these comments don’t deserve your energy🙂

2. Jun 1, 2015: Cardinals Blogs | Depth spills on two fields (and other OTA notes)