“Way more fluid” Mathieu makes a pick

Posted by Darren Urban on May 28, 2015 – 11:44 am

The “Honey Badger is back” theme has hit high gear, and Tyrann Mathieu has felt optimistic about his upcoming 2015 season for a while now. While the tests of true tackling and NFL football is still weeks away when training camp and actual games start, Mathieu is embracing what he can show in the current OTAs. That included a nice play during 11-on-11 Thursday, when Mathieu scrambled to make an athletic interception as the offense was working at coming out inside their own 20. Mathieu grabbed the wayward pass and ran it back for a touchdown, much to the delight of his defensive teammates and coordinator James Bettcher.

By Mathieu’s count, it was his third interception of offseason work.

Thursday’s play “is an indication or a sign,” Mathieu said. “I feel good out there. Way more fluid. It just feels natural again.”

That’s the same way Bruce Arians has described Mathieu, who never quite got all the way back last season from his torn ACL late in 2013 and also dealt with a broken thumb. “He was playing with one arm and one leg,” Arians said. “He was playing not to lose, and he never played that way.”

In 2013, he did look a lot like the guy who made the pick Thursday. It’s early, but it’s always good to see the tangible proof of what everyone is talking about.

TyPickBlog

Tags:

22 Responses to ““Way more fluid” Mathieu makes a pick”

1. By SteveG on May 28, 2015 | Reply

In the first five minutes of the first game he ever played in the NFL..He ran down a Ram and knocked the ball out of his hands a few yards from a TD….Was a thing of beauty and welcomed a real talent into the game.

Last year he could not do that, we know why..

That rookie talent shows up this season (as it seems it will)?..YEE HA!

2. By mike egan on May 28, 2015 | Reply

I hate half stories. WHO DID HE PICK?

3. By Jason Zumwalt on May 28, 2015 | Reply

EXCELLENT…

4. By jwoodaz on May 28, 2015 | Reply

It’s ALIVE !!…

5. By rod on May 28, 2015 | Reply

I love that guy!! No, not that way.

Can’t wait to see him and Deone getting busy!! No, not that way either.

Go CARDS!!!!!

6. By Scott H on May 28, 2015 | Reply

What this narration needs is a soundtrack. Perhaps the sweet sounds of Chris Berman with “He…could…go…all…the…way!”

Love the Honey Badger! Like Carson Palmer and Dave Zastudil and many others I could name, he deserves a chance to be all he can be this season.

Seems like our theme for 2015 should be let’s go have the season we SHOULD have had in 2014!

7. By Coach K on May 28, 2015 | Reply

mike,

I’m guessing it was Logan. Just a guess.

8. By Dr. G. on May 28, 2015 | Reply

CoachK… the pick? Logan on the 1st field? …not likely…

9. By Lifetime Fan on May 29, 2015 | Reply

No it was Lindly, naturally😉

10. By JohnnyBluenose on May 29, 2015 | Reply

Mathieu was a special player in 2013. We all hope he gets back to that level again and not just because we are Cardinals fans but because we are Mathieu fans. I felt the same way about Ryan Williams and I still feel badly for him that he could not regain his form and/or his confidence after his knee injury.

11. By clssylssy on May 29, 2015 | Reply

Mathieu IS a special player and many experts feel he will be the Cards “X factor” this season. LOVE the Honey Badger…he is no “flash in the pan” rookie , one hit wonder and will show all the nay-sayers as he is now a more seasoned and mature player having used his time injured to learn from the sidelines.

Anyone who follows the Cards, surely knows that Lindley was only with the team about 3-4 weeks as a temporary replacement player and his contract expired with the Card’s loss to the Panthers in the playoffs last season!

12. By BIGAL on May 29, 2015 | Reply

Dr.G. & Coach K
    Well, I guess summer is almost here as were betting on who thru an OTA interception return…I personally usually like both of your takes…Coach K, I roll w/you on build that O-Line…keep the Offense on the field so your D stays fresh & healthy!
    Anywho, sense this was 1st field…& we’ve been told Carson is not allowed to participate in 11 on 11 drills…that kinda narrows it down to Logan or Drew??? ah?We’ve also been told Logan is supposed to get a ton of reps…So I’m gonna throw
    this out…I’m betting on Drew, as it really was starting to bother me last year as the season progressed…how he was staring down his target receiver…anyone else catch that??? And Mathieu would certainly pick up on that!

13. By Dr. G. on May 29, 2015 | Reply

I mentioned early last year that it is commonplace for a player not to make a full physical and mental comeback until the second year after this knee reconstruction.

Tyrann had 2 tears if I remember correctly, ((medial/lateral)) making it even more difficult. Based upon that, I think he is ahead of schedule. I wish a few others on this team had his mental cognizance of how to pursue and tackle… very ambitious young man…. lots of heart… one of my favs….

14. By rod on May 29, 2015 | Reply

Hey Darren, what the heck is taking so long with Daryl Washington updates…I know Goodell is busy and all but come on…not you but the league.

Do have any inside scoop?

15. By Darren Urban on May 31, 2015 | Reply

Rod —

RE: DWash

There is no news.

16. By Crow on May 29, 2015 | Reply

Tyrann really cleaned up his act since the “incident” at lsu, lets keep on on going one of the more physical FS i’ve seen keep getting healthy birdgang!!!!!!

17. By Kegs on May 30, 2015 | Reply

Since Bradley Sowell and Jaron Brown are in full view it looks like the second team offense on the first field. That suggests its Stare Man Drew.

18. By Big Ken on Jun 1, 2015 | Reply

Great news, Mathieu kind of became the forgotten man.

19. By Scott H on Jun 1, 2015 | Reply

rod –

RE: Washington

I hear ya on your frustration about Washington’s status. It seems to me that other players that got in trouble / incurred suspensions around the same time as Washington did ( or later ) have had their situations progress further by now than Washington has. And granted, there could obviously be something about Washington’s situation that you / I don’t know, but….yeah, my perception is the same as yours – that the NFL just tends to drag their feet on these things and lets them hang out there too long.

Perhaps Goodell is too busy trying to get more games in London.

20. By Dr. G. on Jun 1, 2015 | Reply

I’m thinking “”wow”” that Dwash has no news because his petition time began about 2 months ago giving plenty of time to get a response by now. I know it was “”at least 1 season,”” but I’m still detecting a skunk…. or maybe lavender kush.!

Historically, no news is good news for most things, but for this case, no news seems grievous to see #58 back any time soon. I hope my suspicions are incorrect on this…that he has remained clean. He was our best LB..

21. By Kevin S Mesa on Jun 2, 2015 | Reply

I may be in the minority here, but I never want to see Daryl Washington play another down of football in a Cardinals uniform. I’m willing to give second chances to people (for example, Mathieu — whose transgressions were pre-Cards in any case), but not third and fourth chances, especially when it costs the team so dearly because they build the rest of the team on the assumption you’re there and then you’re not available. I mean, if a guy gets hurt, OK… not his fault. But when you bring it on yourself, and especially after you already sat through a 4-game suspension that was itself very damaging, to then lose him for the whole year the very next year… not acceptable. And on top of the drug offenses, a felony assault conviction.

We’ll never know, but the Cardinals might have made the playoffs in 2013 if Washington didn’t miss the first 4 games. In particular, the opener against St Louis, where we gave up 14 fourth-quarter points and lost by 3 despite getting over 300 yards from Palmer and having 3 WR’s with over 80 yards. Another game where we got torched by the opponent’s tight end (Jared Cook — 141 yards, 2 TD’s).

I’m sure we could use Washington the football player, but I don’t want him here as I don’t like Washington the person.

22. By Dr. G. on Jun 2, 2015 | Reply

KevinS – – Yep, I don’t disagree with any of your mild rant. Way back when, tommy LaSorda responded to the press and TV interviews regarding Daryll Strawberry’s excuses for drug abuse like this, “”Drug abuse is not an excuse for addiction, it is a WEAKNESS in your personality demonstrating you ignore your will power.””

In my posts, I should add that I just want to put this DWash thing away. If he is clean and really, really clean…cool. If he is “iffy” then I would like to see the NFL ban him with permanence so the team can move on and he can go toke it up and brag how he hosed the Cards out of so much money…be well