All quiet on Washington front

Posted by Darren Urban on June 2, 2015 – 2:52 pm

The line in the release from an NFL spokesman was plain, sent out on May 30, 2014: “Daryl Washington of the Arizona Cardinals has been suspended without pay for at least one year for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse.”

At least is a key phrase. We have passed the one-year mark. Many have asked me (many times) what the news is on Daryl Washington and where he stands. As of today, there is no news. He stands in the same place where he’s been since May 30 of last year. Suspended, awaiting reinstatement from the NFL. Mike Jurecki reported recently that Washington himself doesn’t know where his reinstatement is headed. (No one is saying if Washington officially applied for reinstatement, but it had been expected.) The Cardinals don’t have anything to say on the subject because, frankly, there is nothing to say until and if Washington is reinstated. Bruce Arians told azcentral.com the subject is “a waste of breath.”

But on the idea of whether Washington should be a Cardinal again, Arians added, “I think each and every guy has different circumstances. If he’s reinstated by the league, I know this — our players want him back in the locker room. That’s fine by me.”

We’ve discussed the other obstacles many times. Washington still could be punished for the assault plea he took in early 2014, before the current suspension. Until he is reinstated for the current suspension, there won’t be anything known about the other possibility. And of course, there are fences to mend, if not in the locker room or with Arians, then probably with the front office and ownership.

Few want to hear that it’s wait and see, but truly, it’s wait and see.

DWashUpdate

Tags:

44 Responses to “All quiet on Washington front”

1. By Jason Zumwalt on Jun 2, 2015 | Reply

Give him another chance. Everyone deserves it.

2. By Andy Kw on Jun 2, 2015 | Reply

Anxiously waiting for Daryl Washington’s return. As long as he is back, I’ll be happy. Cards Nation is still here for ya😀

3. By Todd on Jun 2, 2015 | Reply

This is such BS. The NFL golden boy Brady gets 4 game suspension for proven to have cheated in the run to a super bowl championship and DW is still suspended a year later for a substance that’s legal in In 3 states and people don’t even get arrested for yang any more? Even Ray Rice was given only 4 games for cold cocking his wife by the nfl until the savage attack was seen on a video. I’ve heard DW has been a poster child of attending all tests and passing and doing everything he is supposed so leaving him and the fans who they are hurting the most hanging after a year like this is complete horse hockey. If the Cardinals were the NFL precious patriots or packers or steelers I can guarantee you this would not be dragging on like this. lol at how quickly the nfl took care of Peterson and the Vikings after he beat a child. Amazing.

4. By rod on Jun 2, 2015 | Reply

I guess it’s, why is it wait and see… What’s the hold up? I know you don’t know but somebody should know why there is no movement in this.

5. By CardinalSin on Jun 2, 2015 | Reply

His pockets have been hit. Something tells me he will come correct from now on.

6. By D on Jun 2, 2015 | Reply

Guessing he is getting good advice from his agent to wait a little longer for this recent R. McDonald news to die down. I know it has nothing to do with DWash but the league office is most likely getting tired of these situations always in the news.
    I think if DWash is re-instated and is suspended for 2-4 games and if he goes to ownership and to S. Keim and apologize, etc. I am guessing this team would take him back. It would take several weeks after suspension to get back into football shape, etc, but imagine this defense getting him back for the final push at the end of the season, this D could be special if healthy with him next to Spoon.

7. By Mark D on Jun 2, 2015 | Reply

DW is dynamic, no questions about it. Still doesn’t forgive the fact that this isn’t the first time he’s been punished. He let down the team, management, and most importantly the fans. I’m all for forgiveness but man, get it together. One more issue and I say let him walk. The rest of us in the working world would not get that many chances. I hope he comes back as role model. If he does, watch out NFL. I really believe he was the missing piece to our defense last year. Dude is all over the field. Paired with Spoon, we’ll have a great ILB tandem. D Wash, for the fans, for the team, for everyone.. stay clean and stay up. You’ll still have the support from the masses if you can do that.

GO CARDS!!

8. By krehbieo14 on Jun 2, 2015 | Reply

All this talk about Washington deserving a second chance and that the Cards are waiting with open arms is misguided. DWash has disrespected the Cardinals multiple times and still has not been sanctioned by the NFL for his assault of his girlfriend that he pleaded guilty to. DWash was suspended 4 games in 2013 for drug abuse. The Cardinals trusted Washington and paid him 5 million dollars of his bonus. His ridiculous behavior continued and caused him to be suspended for the entire year leaving the team hanging. Now he has applied for reinstatement and we have no updates. The Cards paid him the second half of his bonus of 10 million dollars in March. He still awaits punishment for the domestic violence he committed. This Cardinal Nation fan could care less about Washington. He’s not on the roster. We have no evidence that he has transformed himself other than the comments he made to the media. In conclusion, he’s got a lot of work to do before he is accepted back in the fold. I’m not ready to embrace him yet, nor should the team. It’s his job to regain the respect and trust from the team and fans.

9. By Steve . on Jun 2, 2015 | Reply

I want D-Wash back as much as anybody but at the same time he has proven to be an irresponsible person who apparently did not learn his lesson the first time. I believe another failed drug test would potentially banish him permanently from the league, lets make sure he has his life together first before he steps on a football field again.

10. By William Barry on Jun 2, 2015 | Reply

I have to agree with blogger “Todd” in every aspect. If anybody has been reading the press clippings, AJ Feeley who was on the Dolphins team as QB back in 2004, already had a suspicion that Brady was cheating, and mind you, cheating for 10 years. Just because Brady is the poster boy of the NFL, he gets off lightly. If it is not a high profile team, then punishment (like what DWash has been going thru) is handed out to the max. Its just not fair. The punishment is not uniform across all the teams. Reinstate DWash now!!!!!

11. By georgiebird on Jun 2, 2015 | Reply

Why would BA want DWash back if he cant trust him? Hope to see a lot of 4-3 schemes this year.

12. By Crow on Jun 2, 2015 | Reply

Dwash is a great player…….. i have a special place for him in my cardinals heart because he went tcu…. i agree with todd this is a joke Ray rice punching his wife in the face eh 4 game suspension, brady deflate some footballs and get caught cheating 4 game suspension =/

13. By JohnnyBluenose on Jun 2, 2015 | Reply

Goodell is inept. If Washington has not re-offended since his suspension then that suspension should be lifted and Goodell’s decision on Washington’s domestic assault conviction should already have been made and announced so that both Washington and the Cardinals can plan accordingly. That this is taking so long is beyond stupid.

14. By Bernardo Lopez on Jun 2, 2015 | Reply

What substance was he taking?

15. By Darren Urban on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

Bernardo —

RE: Substance

Washington said it was marijuana. But to be suspended for a year he had to have failed multiple tests/missed tests. We don’t know exactly what happened. And we likely never will.

16. By rich on Jun 2, 2015 | Reply

DWash was a really Spectacular talent. I am not sure anymore. He’s been out of it for a long time (in football terms). He has been very fortunate that the Cards have put up with this stuff for so long. My wish is that he can get through this stuff and come back to the Cardinals. My belief is that he has a long and hard personal road ahead of him and that we have seen the last of DWash. I would love to see “Daryl Washington reinvented”. I think all us Card fans would like to see that. I just don’t think that will happen. He is fortunate he has a fan base and a team that keeps “hanging” with him. If he is looking to “fill his pockets”, I think that boat has “left the pier”.

17. By jwoodaz on Jun 2, 2015 | Reply

What a long and terrible shame this has been all around and for everyone, ah life..

18. By Mr Robles on Jun 2, 2015 | Reply

Washington = Seattle Loss

19. By Coach K on Jun 2, 2015 | Reply

He’s done his time and paid his price. He should be reinstated and perhaps get 4 games suspended added on, but that’s it.

20. By Dr. G. on Jun 2, 2015 | Reply

Hey Rod – – perhaps some missed the post…

STATUS::: The onus is on DWash to plead his case for reinstatement before anything happens…now, tomorrow, next month, next year, next decade… He has had 2 months to get this done. The bogus RUMORS anyone hears about being clean and fulfilling all the objectives are just that…BOGUS. Jurecki got a scoop that is probably total BS from DWash. If he is clean, he would be all over the press bragging about it…. Still smelling the lavender skunk…

Let’s just not concern our team with this man until something is definite. And until that time, I consider these happenings dirty, dirty…later

21. By All day on Jun 2, 2015 | Reply

D wash would be very smart after he is reinstated to hold a press conference and publicly apologize to the ownership front office staff locker room and fans. And learn from his mistakes and become the great linebacker we all know he can be.

22. By beltramiscott on Jun 2, 2015 | Reply

Well no doubt about it DW knows this is it. He is over the BS. The NFL must be fair to him or the courts will make them. That would be bad for the NFL to show that they have given a time table of one year and then after DW has been a model to show he has paid his punishment and is ready to grow up and change or never play again. That would show they must treat every player that has failed, that they treat them the same. He will be on a very tight rope. I was pissed at him and very let down. However he is human and I am sure he feels a thousand time the pain that we did. He should get this last chance. If he blows that he is done in the NFL forever.

23. By Darren Urban on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

Beltrami —

RE: “Has been a model”

See, the issue is we don’t know if he’s been a model or not.

24. By Dynosoar on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

Four times in the Cardinals history, since 1920, have we won 11 games in a season. 1925, 1948, 1975 and 2014. The first three season are before we moved to a 16 game season. We’ve never won more than 11 games in a regular season.

One thing in common – Daryl Washington didn’t play any of those seasons, not even pop-warner.

Do I want DWash back. Yes. What kind of football shape is he in (remember, he’s banned from the facility or even speaking with coaches/trainers.), so is he in the same Beast Mode he was in two seasons ago? I don’t know, none of us do.

Do I want him back, YES! But until he is, I just don’t know if he’ll contribute as much as anyone else who’s currently on the roster. (And until he is reinstated, he’s not contributing.)

25. By Dynosoar on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

Daryl could come back, not be in shape, not know the playbook well enough and be cut.

He could come back and have his best season ever and be wearing a Super Bowl ring after the season.

He could come back and be somewhere in between the above scenarios.

I’m willing to wait and see.

Please come back Daryl , but if you choose to come back or not I wish you well and am grateful for all you’ve done for my favorite team. I’ll thrice welcome you back, knowing if you make the roster you’ll contribute and contribute well.

26. By Scott H on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

rod –

Ditto. We know this is a wait and see thing. But WHY it continues to be has been the question for me. His situation has seemed different from other similar situations ( legal, suspensions, etc ) that have been in play during the same time.

It suddently occurs to me that I don’t hear / haven’t heard the words AT LEAST attached to the suspensions given to other players. It would seem to me that the players union should be having an issue with this….because the words AT LEAST apparenly have a significant impact on this process.

Frustrating….as a Cardinals fan.

27. By Dr. G. on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

Yeah, Darren…. I do think we know he has not been a role model for kids, at least up until his last suspension. Would we want a 10-year-old to learn how to toke up from him..how to treat women? As I posted earlier, LaSorda said ((really anyone should feel the same))::: “”Why would anyone consume something that will certainly harm your body?”” Beyond stupid..especially when you sign a contract promising to agree to abstain…!! Then comes at least 3 strikes..!

I post these things in light of his admissions of guilt…though he may have accepted marginal legal advice. Many would not wear #58 now.

Now comes the headers debate on how wonderful weed is without a real doctor’s analysis. It has its romantic element. Where it is not legal, trouble lurks…

28. By Travis on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

It seems like we are halfway looking for him to join the team at some point this season. Otherwise, don’t you think Kiem and BA would have been more aggressive in filling the ILB role via the draft or free agency? I know it’s been a while but I am pretty confident my 58 jersey still fits…

RED BIRD FEVER!!

29. By TC on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

This case by case application of punishment needs to end.
    Goodell treatment of the Saints coach, “the ultimate responsibility lies at the top” response; didn’t hold when Goodell’s ass was on the line over the Ray Rice video. You have an old boys club going on in the NFL, and it appears New Orleans and Phoenix are not in that club.

30. By TC on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

Why is marijuana one of the tests? It is not a performance enhancer. It is helpful for sleep in a league where athletes are often playing thru pain.

31. By Darren Urban on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

TC —

RE: Tests

A moot point in this case. It’s against the rules. Washington broke the rules.

32. By Crow on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

So DWash is allowed to practice while on suspension?

33. By Darren Urban on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

Crow —

RE: Practice

No. He is not allowed at the facility, period.

34. By Hammer on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

I believe they are going to bring him back and have an idea of what will happen otherwise they wouldn’t have paid the other 5 mil bonus before it was due. could be wrong, have been before.

35. By Darren Urban on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

Hammer —

RE: Bonus

Didn’t have choice in the bonus. Bonus was due last year before suspension; they worked out way to pay him half and half but it was money he was already owed.

36. By Hammer on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

Thanks Darren for the clarification, and all you do to keep us all informed.

37. By Kalen on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

This dude is hands down the x factor on this defense. With out him there is a big hole to fill. Arizona would be stupid to not keep him even if he does get another suspension

38. By krehbieo14 on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

Dr. G.,

Your comments reflect exactly what I was trying to say! To Arians, the front office and many fans he is an afterthought. However, some eager to change the equation fans want to blame the Commisioner, the substance abuse guidelines and compare DWash’s situation to others. In other words, his value as a player is more important than the character qualities that are so important to Bidwill et. al. IMO, the fact that we have heard nothing yet is telling. I am glad we’ve got some rookies ready to compete for an ILB position.

39. By Scott H on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

Just to add to the gripes about how the NFL implements its suspensions, I look back to last off-season when the NFL held off on suspending Washington until AFTER the draft and AFTER Karlos Dansby had left during FA. Now, do I believe they held off on that intentionally, just to hurt the Cardinals? No, I do not. But do I think there could and SHOULD be more consideration for the teams in terms of these rulings? YEAH, you’re damn right I do.

The NFL is certainly aware of most of these situations well in advance of the rulings they hand down. And they are certainly well aware of the dates for FA, the draft, etc. You have 32 franchises and they are your most valuable assets. Therefore, you are not looking out for the best interests of your assets when you basically wallop one of your assets by waiting until AFTER the draft and AFTER FA to suspend a key player for a year. I consider that self-defeating.

I certainly think keeping Dansby here becomes a higher priority last off-season if the team knows Washington is suspended for the season BEFORE FA starts. Just as I think the NFL could show more consideration for the Cardinals NOW by giving them SOME definitive indication of what is happening with Washington and when. If he has cleared the hurdles of the legal system, is eligible to apply for re-instatement, and has applied for re-instatement, then the Cardinals deserve a decision. At that point, the process should move forward.

More than a year after he was suspended, the Cardinals STILL don’t know if Washington will be back next week, next month, or next season. Or at all, for that matter. As BA says, he doesn’t even exist at this point. And THIS is how one of the most successful businesses on the planet operates??? You wouldn’t see this kind of delay and in-decision if the NFL were losing money in this process, I’ll tell ya that. It’s a disgrace.

Sorry, but I think the TEAMS deserve more consideration in these matters and I don’t think that is too much to ask.

40. By Dr. G. on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

krehbieo14 – – Agreed that we have some young men ready to step it up and play regardless of who is present or missing. I am not worried – – we did OK last year. It was the Offense that sputtered late. ((QB issues))

One additional thing – – Some of our fans insist on a comparison with some of the other players who have had some problems with the conduct code and how the Commish handled them.

Here is the rub…NO ONE needed to give DWash a suspension if I read the contract rules correctly. He did that all on his own. The penalties were in writing and non-negotiable…Thus:: 1st drug offense can be a warning; the 2nd is 4 games; the 3rd is “”at least”” a full season. DWash went through many no-shows for testing that are rarely reported. He was given lots of leeway to perform according to his contract. ((Darren has posted this stuff ad nauseam))

IMO, I think he is still in violation of the rules based upon his lack of action….be well

41. By Brad on Jun 4, 2015 | Reply

It just seems really strange to me that no one will confirm he has even applied for reinstatement. He hasn’t said he applied, his agent hasn’t, the player’s association hasn’t, the league office hasn’t. It especially seems strange to me that the player’s association and the league office have been silent. If he has applied why isn’t the PA saying, “It’s been a year where is the decision?” Plus the league office has so many leaks it is hard to imagine that no reporter has any info on this. Is there some reason that applying for reinstatement would be a secret?

I am beginning to suspect he has not applied at all. Denial that there is an issue is a very common symptom.

42. By brianc on Jun 4, 2015 | Reply

It will be interesting to follow what transpires with his punishment for the domestic violence(DV) situation. I seem to remember reading somewhere the DV incident DW was involved in was him responding to his child’s phone call about his ex-wife/gf having a heated argument with her current partner so DW went to remove his child from that situation and was confronted by angry ex-wife/gf pushing her away injuring her. Not excusing DW putting his hands on her however one might consider if that scenario were accurate the penalty that ensues could rationally be lesser? Wouldn’t bank on that since as others have alluded to above the Cardinals don’t seem to fit the NFL criteria for lesser penalties.

43. By Dr. G. on Jun 4, 2015 | Reply

Hey Brad- – It is the policy of the NFL to NOT discuss the process; they will only publish results…bottom line. That is why I put the onus on the offender…be well

2. Jun 19, 2015: Cardinals Blogs | “Something will work out” for Washington?