Some cap room with which to work

Posted by Darren Urban on June 3, 2015 – 2:14 pm

As the final days of on-field summer work play out — the Cardinals have one more OTA Thursday, and then three days of mandatory minicamp next week before players scatter for the remainder of the offseason — the roster has settled. The last move came back on May 13 when linebacker Darryl Sharpton was signed, and with the front office members headed for some much needed down time of their own, transactions figure to be in limited supply until the pre-training camp rollup in late July.

(Official camp dates have yet to be announced but with Labor Day and the later-than-usual opening weekend of the regular season on Sept. 13, the Cards won’t even report to camp until July 30 or 31.)

There are moves than can be made if the Cards want, however. As of Wednesday, the Cardinals have $12.16 million in salary cap room, according to the NFLPA. So if Steve Keim is looking for that pre-training camp veteran add (which wouldn’t cost that much anyway), the Cards can do it. It also allows some freedom to work out contract extensions if the team is so inclined. I’d expect Pro Bowl special teamer Justin Bethel, set to become an unrestricted free agent, near or at the front of that line. Among the other players scheduled to be unrestricted free agents after this season: defensive backs Jerraud Powers, Rashad Johnson and Alfonzo Dennard, tackle Bobby Massie, linebackers Sean Weatherspoon and Lorenzo Alexander, defensive end Matt Shaughnessy and quarterback Drew Stanton.

BethelCapBlog

Tags: , , , ,

23 Responses to “Some cap room with which to work”

1. By SteveG on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

SO good to have a GM that totally “Gets It”.

Some good fortune in the health dept. and I suspect we are gonna have s FUN!! year.

2. By CreditCard on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

I liked Kyle’s article about the trenches. Historically the NY Giants have been successful w/o a super star QB — their mantra has been “put your money closest to the ball”. A great offensive line will make an ordinary running and quarter back look good. Conversely, a horrible O-Line makes your RBs have to fight just to get to the line of scrimmage, as well as give your QB an abnormal amount of hurries, hits, fumbles, intersections, sacks etc…

If the O-line can push the Line of scrimmage back which allows the back to run effectively with 8 defenders in the box, that leaves 3 D-Backs 1 on 1 situations with the Cards excellent receiving core. A totally favorable situation for the Cards.

I’m liking Kiem’s philosophy more and more.

Credit Card

BTW. the depth on the D-Line appears outstanding. There is going to be some very tough choices come pre-season regarding the D-line.

3. By Scott H on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

Um….anyone else wondering why there are trees on the practice field? Or is #28 just REALLY out of bounds at this point?

4. By Scott H on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

No disregard intended to anyone named by Darren as players that could be considered for extensions, but I don’t see anyone there I feel is a NOW priority. So, I am much more in favor of adding a few more pieces – and maybe finding that veteran gem that we’ll all be grateful for later – with the cap space that is available right now. And if that player just doesn’t come along? Then, start working on an extension for Bethel.

All in all, the team is in good shape here. Nice to be able to have cap space available at this point in the off-season and to keep all options open.

5. By Scott H on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

Sorry, Bethel was the only player named who might be considered for an extension. The others named were players who are UFA’s after this year. I read it more carefully the 2nd time around.

I guess it CAN be good to have several players you might want to extend contracts for….’cause if you do, you have talent on your roster. But it can also be good to NOT have several of those players all coming due at the same time.

6. By John Rojas on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

Tight End

7. By BG4LYFE on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

Scott H.
    You think Logan Thomas, Chandler Harnish, and Phil Sims are all better 2nd options at QB then Drew Stanton? Stanton was on that UFA List that Darren mentioned!

8. By Dr. G. on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

Darren – – Didn’t you write about that tree last year? It had quite a history; and then they took away for the new construction….sad…. Obviously, this is an old picture…. later….

9. By Darren Urban on Jun 4, 2015 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Tree

Different tree. There are a handful of trees near the practice fields.

But as for your comment, here’s that story for who missed it: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Farewell-To-The-Tree/129fcae7-4a6f-42de-b9a1-bda2dc5d6eec

(In fact, in the far background of the picture with that story, you can see the current tree we speak of.)

10. By rod on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

Optical elusion causing the in or out confusion…

11. By rod on Jun 3, 2015 | Reply

I knew that didn’t look right..

Illusion

12. By clssylssy on Jun 4, 2015 | Reply

Embarrassing to get called out by NFL.com’s Gregg Rosenthal as having “weakest” anything when we are suppose to be a “contender” on the rise. It would appear we’ve missed on developing the TE position, What a difference the Gronk’s, Vernon Davis, Jason Witten’s, Jimmy Graham’s, Tony Gonzalez’s have made to SB bound teams!
    I’m sure we’ve got players coming up for extensions in addition to Bethel and it’s always a shame to see them go elsewhere just when they are beginning to make a difference. Maybe developing a solid core team with some consistency would give us the internal toughness we see in some of the dynasty teams like the Seahawks and Packers.

13. By Black on Jun 4, 2015 | Reply

Just waiting for that one special player who gets cut and we scoop him up. Enter V. Davis.

14. By Eric G on Jun 4, 2015 | Reply

Scott H, so you don’t think Jerraud Powers is worth an extension? He’s considered to be one of the top slot corners in the league.

Here’s what Bowles said about him. “Powers is tough. You keep forgetting about Powers. Powers is one of the best guys back there. He doesn’t get the credit. It’s going to be tough beating Powers out… [he] can play wherever you need him: corner, safety, nickel. Don’t underestimate him, please. He’s a tough guy.”

I have full faith that Keim will extend Powers.

15. By Cactus jeff on Jun 4, 2015 | Reply

Darren
    Any talk of bringing back Tom Kelly?

16. By Darren Urban on Jun 4, 2015 | Reply

Cactus —

RE: Kelly

Do not expect so. Especially with all the bodies they already have.

17. By Jerry on Jun 4, 2015 | Reply

I feel comfortable with the tight ends in camp. How will we ever know if they are any good, unless they throw some passes their way. Arians seems to like tight ends as blockers only.

18. By infitzwetrust on Jun 4, 2015 | Reply

Rashad Johnson! He’s been solid and reliable for the most part and would be glad to have him signed to a long-term, mid-tier contract.

But maybe our depth in the secondary will play a factor.

19. By D on Jun 4, 2015 | Reply

I am sure Bethel is the top player on the list at this time, he is a pro bowler, should lock him up now with the extra cap space. Powers is probably second on the list. Some of the players will need to wait on how they perform this upcoming year, like Weatherspoon and R. Johnson.

I think we will see the most challenging final 53 cuts for the Cardinals that they have had since being in AZ. This team has very good depth. One or two good DL will be cut and some good prospects at ILB could be let go this summer (especially if DWash is back).

As far as DWash, I think everyone needs to always look at the contract-they paid him a large portion of that bonus last year and his Cap number is not team friendly if released (big dead $), so I believe he will be part of the team in 2015 after re-instatement and suspension.

20. By Scott H on Jun 4, 2015 | Reply

Eric G

RE: So, you don’t think Powers is worth an extension?

No, I didn’t say that. I DID say I don’t think the Cardinals need to make that an IMMEDIATE / get-it-done-now priority. I’d rather they try to find another player or two to help this year right now with the cap space they have.

If they choose to extend Powers, fine. I’m OK with that.

21. By Scott H on Jun 4, 2015 | Reply

BG4LYFE –

Ah, my son, you are clearly new to this blog. Because if you don’t know that I have been one of THE biggest fans and supporters of Drew Stanton, then I don’t know what to tell ya. Given Palmer’s hx of injury, I consider Stanton to be one of THE most important players on this team. And that has been reflected ad nauseum in my posts over the last year or so. And I say “ad nauseum” because I think I have truly made some people sick along the way who do not share my views on Stanton’s importance.

But Stanton is not a player they are going to extend. That’s just not going to happen. They extended Palmer and come next off-season, I expect them to be looking for their QB of the future in the draft. And I expect Stanton to be looking for an opportunity to be a starter somewhere.

hey, I would be trilled to see Stanton stay here beyond this year. But I don’t see it happening.

22. By clssylssy on Jun 5, 2015 | Reply

While nobody knows just how strong any team really is going to be, based upon OTAs, I recently read that the Cards defense is ranked #4 in the NFC West behind the 9ers AND Rams (of course Seahawks remain King) and our “triplets” are ranked a lowly #24 (Palmer, Ellington, Floyd) which doesn’t say a lot for our offense either. It was noted that this was based on Floyd as the #1 receiver and not Fitz…which seems to say a lot about BA’s decision making use of our #1 offensive weapon as it was down to the wire and questionable if Floyd would even get an extension.. All these things would suggest that the Cards may need to do some work on our defense (which could get a much needed shot in the arm if Washington were to return) with our extra cap money as teams begin to cut valuable talents as they get down to 53, and that losing Coach Boyles was going to have more impact on our success this season than has been acknowledged by Keim/BA/Bidwill. I think it will be important to retain Bethel,R. Johnson, and Powers but perhaps we have more pressing needs in the “right now”.
    With OTA’s focusing mostly on the integration of rookies and rehabing veterans, and evaluation of talent for roster spots and depth, new fans tend to eat up any morsal of information printed in the media as the Gospel, and don’t get the bigger reality of the situation. I think it’s important to keep fans grounded in the facts of the situation (which you have done a masterful job at)with the knowledge that no information is fertile ground for speculation and “the devil’s workshop”. I know that 95% of these lists and rankings are BS and a media ploy but, nonetheless, find myself trying to understand where the logic is and still find it a little disturbing…perhaps the desire to finally get the recognition I believe we have earned!

23. By Scott H on Jun 6, 2015 | Reply

clssylssy –

I saw that ranking of triplets on NFL.com and thought it was one of THE most ridiculous things I have EVER seen. When the Eagles are ranked ahead of the Cardinals ( or anyone else, for that matter ) with Sam Bradford ( who hasn’t even really played at all the last 2 years ) and a first-year WR ( who did very little to distinguish himself last year ), then….really, how can ya even take it seriously? I moved on from it pretty quick.