Two Cards in a different top 100

Posted by Darren Urban on June 5, 2015 – 10:00 am

While the NFL Network continues to roll out its top 100 players — Calais Campbell and Larry Fitzgerald have been named, and I am assuming Patrick Peterson will find his way in there at some point — CBS’s Pete Prisco has put out his annual top 100 list. Two Cardinals make an appearance, the two you would think: Peterson and Campbell.

On Peterson (No. 39), Prisco writes “He started slowly last year, but we later found out he was dealing with a blood sugar issue. He came on strong and continues to be one of the better corners in the league. Watch him against Dez Bryant last year. You will see.”

That’s the plan from Peterson, who said soon after his season “I know what problems need to be fixed.” It wasn’t the year he wanted, but there is still certainly big belief in Peterson not only from himself but from his coaches and the Cardinals’ front office.

On Campbell (No. 44), Prisco writes “He doesn’t pile up big sack numbers in their scheme, but the personnel men and opposing offensive coaches know all about him. He is a good run player and he does have 16 sacks the past two seasons and earned his first trip to the Pro Bowl last season.”

On a defensive line that will be about rotation, Campbell will be the star. He’s the guy who needs consistency of his often high level of play. Bruce Arians has made that point and Campbell understands where his coach is coming from.

— Apropos of nothing, I wanted to give a quick congrats to two men with Cardinals ties who have been named Arizona’s best this year by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association. The voice of the Cardinals, Dave Pasch, was named sportscaster of the year, while my competitor (and friend) Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic was named sportswriter of the year. Can’t speak for Pasch, but I know Kent is headed to beautiful Salisbury, North Carolina, this weekend for the banquet.

Peter100

Tags: , , ,

13 Responses to “Two Cards in a different top 100”

1. By John The Draft Guy on Jun 5, 2015 | Reply

Congrats to Dave and Kent

2. By John The Draft Guy on Jun 5, 2015 | Reply

On another note, I find this curious.

Last year, the cards drafted Bucannon , only to find out that undrafted SS Tony Jefferson was ready to step up and play. We also saw Honey Badger play some SS with the great year that Rashad Johnson had.

This year, I just read that Massie is cemented in as the Rt starter but Watford is making a big impression. Meanwhile, the cards drafted in round one a RT.

Darren, what is your impression of Keim understanding what he has before the draft? It seems he keeps drafting round one guys with young guys on the team ready to step up.

Frankly, With Jefferson, HB, and Johnson, Bucannon really isnt needed. With Massie (yes, he is a FA next year) and Watford, was Humphries needed?
    I strongly believe a first round pick needs to start from day one (unless he is a QB).

The fact that in round one , we seem to be drafting depth instead of impact players, is confusing. I know I am bias (I have not liked Keims 3 1st round picks), and one could argue Bucannon was a valuable LB and I would agree, but am out of line in being confused why Keim is picking 1st rounders for spots that have a young and upcoming player?

BTW, Watford, HB, were drafted and Jefferson signed by Keim. Not to mention the trade of Palmer and other vet signings like Iupati and Veldheer. Keim has done a good job overall and the team has double digit wins the last two years. He also hired BA, which was a great move. So, not hating on Keim. Just confused.

3. By Darren Urban on Jun 5, 2015 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Picks

I’ll say this: If Cooper doesn’t get hurt, he plays as a first-round rookie. Bucannon played all last season, and a lot, as a first-rounder. Let’s see what happens with Humphries.

4. By Brad oneill on Jun 5, 2015 | Reply

I think keim takes best available in the first round this means there will be overlap. As for kent being a competitor, no way i read everything both of you guys there is plenty of angles for both to thrive in this market.

5. By John The Draft Guy on Jun 5, 2015 | Reply

You are right, it is a wait and see situation. It also is hindsight. You know I love the draft, and I am just trying to understand what the thought process is going in.

Cooper was scheduled to start before the injury. And yes, at that time, we needed help all across the line. So, although I don’t like the Cooper pick, it makes sense. Taking OLBs and Dlineman make sense too given our situation with FAs and aging vets.

But Jefferson made the team as an UDFA, and we knew HB and Johnson were on the team. Did Keim not believe Jefferson could step up and start ? I guess usually a team would get a vet to be there as insurance if the young guy can’t take over vs drafting a 1st rounder. Is the believe that HB and Bucannon is a much better combo than Johnson, Jefferson, and HB ? Or was Keim surprised by Jefferson ?

Reading the article about Watford’s growth, and Massie as the starter, Humphries was an interesting pick. Is the progression of Watford a surprise?
    It seems if Massie is to start this year and Watford can get snaps and challenge, it would make sense a natural progression of Watford stepping in next year as Massie is a FA. So Humphries seems like a pick not needed unless you are surprised by Watford or Humphries is that much better.

I just find the picks curious. I remember Breaston was a punt returner as a rookie and then worked hard and became the #3 receiver when some questioned whether he could be a receiver or not.
    The coaches knew what they had though. I guess evaluating these picks just seem interesting to me.

6. By Darren Urban on Jun 5, 2015 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Questions

Bucannon is running ahead of Jefferson thus far in camp, so there’s that.

As for Watford, that’s also a we’ll see situation. I do not see Watford starting. Could he make the team? Sure. But I don’t think he cracks the lineup.

As for Humphries, if he truly is a guy who many thought would be a top 10 (or 5) pick had he stayed in school another year, and it’s next year when you think he’ll really have to step in because Massie is gone, that makes sense to me.

Keim has said repeatedly every move is made not just for now but with a three-year view in mind. He has insisted he won’t pass on a player just because that position seems to be full.

7. By rod on Jun 5, 2015 | Reply

I like Prisco, he often gives props to the Cards, and they deserve it.

8. By John The Draft Guy on Jun 5, 2015 | Reply

OK,

So Watford is a guy who progressed, but the thought of him being a starter isn’t really being discussed for now or down the line. So, the progression is more, they hope he can be a swing guy. Right? And Humphries is suppose to be that much better?

As for the Jefferson / Bucannon situation, it sounds like , although Jefferson can get the job done, Bucannon is just flat out better.

So, would it be better to say that Keim had guys who could do the job in place , but feels his draft picks are huge upgrades to those players?

9. By clssylssy on Jun 5, 2015 | Reply

The NFL’s top 100 is voted on by players and Prisco is a journalist who has never taken a snap in the NFL and whose journalistic expertise is a matter of opinion. While journalistic awards are nice recognitions by the press, they often are more about accessibility and giving a good interview than anything to do with actual football skillsets. Still, it’s always nice to see our Cardinals players showing up getting any kind of recognition. Good job guys as well as to the rest of the players who help allow these guys to excel!

10. By Darren Urban on Jun 5, 2015 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Top 100

So the NFL top 100 means more because players voted on it?

Let me ask you this: What do you think is a more realistic representation of the truth — Campbell No. 99 on the NFL list (behind a kicker) or the No. 44 Prisco has him placed?

11. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Jun 5, 2015 | Reply

JTDG:

Read your posts with interest and D’s responses.

If Keim had in mind an OL of Veldheer Iupati Shipley Cooper Massie;

– Humphries as LT RT swing back up,
    – Watford as LG RG LT RT swing backup
    – Larsen as swing C LG RG backup… and all 3 pushing to start …

… knowing Watford and Cooper were drafted as most athletic linemen we had drafted in awhile and thought they’d realize potential (its seems that might be on the horizon),knowing Humphries might replace Massie in time…

…. thats a helluva an OL. We can look at most positions this way, like S. Seems Cards, to me at least, are loaded, and will cut more than a couple NFL caliber players before this is over…

The versatility on the OL (and S) are impressive and allow fewer guys to be kept there, to allow more elsewhere. I am back to RB, 4 or 5? TE 4 + 1 Practice Squad? R, 4, 5, even 6? DT NT DE…how many combined? 7, 8, 9 even 10? So many, many good players. ILB and OLB… TOUGH choices a comin’.

12. By much.faster on Jun 6, 2015 | Reply

@darren urban, you don`t like kickers?

jokes aside, a vote made of a sample of many is always more valuable as a vote of one, especially as that many are at least as knowledgeable as prisco.

but there are also problems, because many of the players who vote have their knowledge through opinions of others, and then the players on lesser liked aka covered teams like the cardinals, raiders, rams or chiefs for example have a bit of a disadvantage.

so i would take the 44 place as nonsens, but i would also take the 99 place and add a bonus for campbell beeing a card🙂., so he would end imo somewhere between 65 and 75.

13. By clssylssy on Jun 6, 2015 | Reply

Darren…
    That is like asking me whether I would rather get medical advice from an esteemed physician who graduated from a prestigious medical school or from somebody who played a doctor on TV…House? The fact that Calais cracked the top 100 in a league full of defensive lineman, is recognition by his peers that he is regarded as one of the best in his profession, and shouldn’t be devalued because the media creates these lists using different criteria. I think it’s great that we have players showing up on any lists (after years of receiving only negative attention or none at all) but it’s the difference between the SAG/Academy Awards vs. the People’s Choice/MTV Awards…just say’n.
    As far as him being behind a kicker, I doubt you would feel that way if your kid was a kicker…sometimes the kicker is the difference between a W and a L.
    I bet Calais wouldn’t take issue with that as he seems like a pretty secure guy and I’m sure is just beginning his climb!