Minicamp opens with Palmer in the fray

Posted by Darren Urban on June 9, 2015 – 12:00 pm

Minicamp began Tuesday — the last three days of work before the players break for the offseason — with Carson Palmer right where he said he wanted to be when he first hurt his ACL last November: Playing on the field. Palmer had been taking part in OTAs but Tuesday was the first time he took part in full speed 11-on-11 work. Much more on that later, but it’s a great sign for Palmer and the Cardinals — especially since Bruce Arians said there are no limitations right now.

(That could change come training camp, but we will see.)

Other quick notes from the first day:

—  The weather couldn’t have been nicer — clouds, a few raindrops and a touch higher than 80 degrees — and so the longer time on the field wasn’t that brutally hot minicamp stuff the Cardinals usually deal with. The work followed. Arians was pleased with what his team did (and he’s a guy who will say so if he’s not.) Arians said the Cards finished early and still got about 30 extra reps.

— Arians said he’s pleased with the team speed, which is always something GM Steve Keim is looking to upgrade.

— Wide receiver Michael Floyd remains sidelined with a hamstring injury, which kept him out last week as well. Arians said there is no reason to risk Floyd’s health right now. On a good note, rookie inside linebacker Alani Fua (foot) took part in practice for the first time since getting hurt in rookie minicamp. Rookie linebacker Shaq Riddick (hamstring) remains sidelined.

— Running back David Johnson got more reps Tuesday (the Cards are down to one field of work as opposed to the two-field practices) in part because Kerwynn Williams and Stepfan Taylor are sitting out with minor injuries.

— Arians acknowledged he was hoping quarterback Logan Thomas would have made more progress by now. Thomas remains in a three-QB race for the third QB spot.

JaronForBlog

Tags: , ,

36 Responses to “Minicamp opens with Palmer in the fray”

1. By rod on Jun 9, 2015 | Reply

Looks like “Logan’s Run” may be over…thank you thank you.

2. By jaime on Jun 9, 2015 | Reply

Logan thing is getting old, time to move on from that Cards… Best of luck to the guy tho.

3. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Jun 9, 2015 | Reply

Logan or Sims on PS?

4. By Dynosoar on Jun 9, 2015 | Reply

Whether it’s Thomas or Simms I’ll be satisfied.

I love that we are talking about who’s going to be the second and third stringer at all positions! How many years were talking about who we needed at first string.

It’s really peaceful to have depth. Now, let’s up the havoc level on defense AND offense.

5. By D on Jun 9, 2015 | Reply

Doesn’t sound promising for Logan to make the final 53. I am guessing Riddick maybe lucky to make the p squad.

Darren-can the number of players currently practicing even fit in the dome? Have the Cards thought about investing in a baseball type field tarp? Probably would be a first for a NFL team for a practice field…

6. By Darren Urban on Jun 9, 2015 | Reply

D —

RE: Bubble

Yes, they can fit, although it wouldn’t allow for much more than players, coaches and video guys.

7. By carlo milano on Jun 9, 2015 | Reply

darren
    whats your opinion about sims throwing the football?
    did he improve in the last weeks?

8. By Darren Urban on Jun 9, 2015 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: Sims

He has not been bad. He’s clearly a rookie. But I can see why they have some hope in him.

9. By Dynosoar on Jun 9, 2015 | Reply

Alani Fua was in the local highlight reels almost every week. I’m hoping he can translate his college success to our Cardinals.

Go Cardinals!

10. By mike in mesa on Jun 9, 2015 | Reply

How about we wait until after preseason games before passing judgement on Logan Thomas.

11. By Dan on Jun 9, 2015 | Reply

I agree with Mike. Arians could be trying to motivate Thomas. I think the Cards give him one more season to develop before calling it a dumpster fire waste of a fourth round pick.

12. By dudeacow on Jun 9, 2015 | Reply

Logan has so much physical talent that I wouldn’t give up now, but if Sims clearly separates himself, it wouldn’t be worth it to continue developing Thomas.

13. By Scott H on Jun 9, 2015 | Reply

Said this recently, will say it again – I will not be surprised if Logan Thomas is not on this roster in 2015. It just doesn’t seem / feel like it is working out. Before last season, I might have said hey, it’s the 3rd string QB, who cares? But last season, we needed a 3rd string QB who merely reached the level of viable. And we didn’t have it.

It would be one thing if we were hearing that Logan Thomas looks really good and looks like he is light years ahead of where he was last year. Because he would HAVE to be light years ahead of where he was last year for me to have any hope for him. Instead, we are hearing the HC admit that he was hoping for more progress by now.

Not promising, as these things go. BA may be trying to motivate him. But….if it’s just not there, then it’s just not there.

14. By Jon on Jun 9, 2015 | Reply

Too bad the Thomas experiment is winding down. Clearly Thomas was even unable or unwilling to take advantage of any opportunities to improve his QB development in every possible area by even begging Kurt Warner for some personalized tutoring or from any any of the established QB gurus out there.

That poses the apparent question of why Thomas wasted his off season instead seeking every resource to help him develop and improve.

And if he did, why then is he doing so poorly?

15. By Coach K on Jun 9, 2015 | Reply

Look, I’ve said it a million times. Logan is a great kid, but he’s not a quarterback. Lack of time playing the position and when he did play, it was a read option system. Two strikes against him and it’s not his fault. Tight end is the best option. Period.

16. By jeffcardinalfan on Jun 10, 2015 | Reply

-imho cards have best 1-2 qb combo in nfl if they r healthy…so cartds can afford to take chances with 3rd stringer…realisticly all teams r in trouble if 3rd guy has to play…I cant think of a 3rd stringer that has made a contribution to their team while they were listed as 3rd string…most of us wud be hard pressed to name more than a few 3rds of all nfl teams…of cards qbs in recent years that were not brot in to start I liked john skelton and lindley showed a littlke…anybody knmow if skelton is still in league?…as foir current guys I don’t really know much about any of them…inmho ur 3rd guy should have the arm first and u have to hope that u can coach the head…thanks to keim for upgrading ol-with carson the superbowl is a real possibility

17. By Richard L on Jun 10, 2015 | Reply

Arians doesn’t play games. Looks like Sims will be the 3rd QB to me.

18. By clssylssy on Jun 10, 2015 | Reply

I don’t understand how fans can be so quick to count Logan Thomas out given the very limited play he got last season. Let us not fotget he was able to complete a pass for a TD when he came into the game with Denver although he was ill prepared to begin a career against the likes of the Broncos. Arizona is not known for developing talent but given the fact that Thomas was drafted in the 4th round would indicate that he has the skills necessary to make it into the NFL at some position; the fact that Arians was so high on him to the point of “protecting” him rather than letting him play ahead of Lindley doesn’t seem to have done him any favors with the fan base. Now, it seems Arians’ infatuation has cooled and he doesn’t feel Thomas has come along far enough, but, what have we done to help his development? Arians needs to get over his man crush on Ben Rothinsberger and put his talent as “the QB whisperer” to work on the talent he hand picked for the Cards. If Thomas indeed was a “dumpster fire waste of a fourth round pick” then that falls on Keim and Arians both.
    It has been suggested that Logan Thomas might make a great TE of the Tony Gonzalez/Jimmy Graham variety which would be an X-factor for our offense and certainly wouldn’t be a bad thing for Thomas either as better to be a good/great TE in the NFL than an out of work/backup QB! I think this kid has great athleticism and talent, which I hope isn’t wasted trying to put a square peg into a round hole.
    We all hope Carson can have a great season and stay healthy but given his history of injuries, age, etc. have to wonder how realistic those hopes are? The Cards are still not considered a legitimate threat in part because of our QB situation and what happened last season. Do we have a backup plan in place so that won’t happen again and we’ll be able to go further into the playoffs?

19. By John The Draft Guy on Jun 10, 2015 | Reply

Logan Thomas;

I called it a wasted pick seconds after Thomas was picked. Nothing has happened to change my mind.

As for the wait and see approach, one thing is sure, if Thomas is in a battle for 3rd QB here in year two, he is obviously not the future QB.

Thomas (or any second year QB) should be battling for that #2 spot, not trying to make a team. Remember Stanton is a FA next year and he came here wanting to start. If he gets a chance at say the Jets next year, we are left with a huge hole.

Thank God for the trade for Carson Palmer. Lets hope he can be the guy for the next couple of years without injuries. May be the single most important reason Keim has beefed up the Oline, to keep Palmer upright.

QB seems to be something we may look at early in the draft next year, and depending on the way the draft lays out and the eligible QBs, it may be something the cards will need to trade up for.

I’ll be the first to admit I would have passed on Carr and Bridgewater last year in round one. Kind of wished we didn’t.

20. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Jun 10, 2015 | Reply

Agree with comment above Arians does not blow a lot of smoke.

21. By Chuck 1 on Jun 10, 2015 | Reply

Keim and BA made a bad choice in drafting Thomas, especially in the fourth round (one of several bad choices; Minter, Watford, ….).
    Also, BA is not the best “QB Whisperer” on the staff.
    That’s why Tom Moore was signed. HE is the QB Whisperer.

22. By clssylssy on Jun 10, 2015 | Reply

Scott H & Jon
    Yes, last season we needed a viable 3rd string QB but how do we know how viable Thomas really was as BA as repeatedly stated that his decision to sign Lindley for the playoffs was because he didn’t want to ruin Logan Thomas by throwing him into that situation…are we now questioning BA’s judgement and rational? This kid has shown he does possess athleticism and possibly the skill to be a backup in this league but possibly not as a franchise QB–what we know is a lot less than what we think we know!
    As for not taking advantage of opportunities in the off season, what exactly would those opportunities be? Let me remind you that Kurt Warner was employed by EXOS as a consultant and hired by Colin Kaepernick (not the 9ers) as a personal coach and consultant; Kaepernick makes considerably more money that Thomas, and, I imagine, Thomas would have had to get permission to be coached by anyone not employed by the Cards (difference in philosophy etc.)…Kurt was not doing that coaching gig out of charity for his neighbor, but as a business transaction. It does however raise the question of why the Cardinals wouldn’t employ Warner as a QB Consultant. My feeling is that BA would consider this an infringement and “too many cooks” confusing the QB,i.e.possibly a difference in philosophy, method, technique, etc.
    The reality is, nobody really knows what the situation with Logan Thomas is or where he fits in the bigger picture because this information has been kept tightly on the down-low. We all knew Thomas was a project when he was drafted and Keim and Arians were comfortable enough with how he was doing to not draft a QB this year. Even if he gets cut, I’m sure another team will pick him up and possibly put more effort into developing him because of his athleticism and experience/exposure in the league (albeit minimal).
    I absolutely do not want to see us without depth at the QB position because come February the options for finding anyone, as we have seen, are slim to none!

23. By Scott H on Jun 10, 2015 | Reply

jeffcardinalfan –

RE: so, the cards can afford to take chances with the third stringer

Really? Were you watching at the end of last season??? Good lord, if there is a team under the sun right now who SHOULD know the value a 3rd stringer might have, it is the Cardinals!

No, they CANNOT really afford to take chances with the 3rd stringer. Yes, it is true for most teams every year that if you are down to your 3rd string QB, you are probably finished. But, geez, you still have to have a guy who can give you a chance! Last season became a debacle because their 3rd stringer was NOT capable of playing and that resulted in the need to pull Lindley off another team’s practice squad. I don’t see them putting themselves in that position again.

24. By BigBobDiesel on Jun 10, 2015 | Reply

Logan Thomas’ touchdown throw in Denver last season was equivalent to Smalls first fly ball catch in the movie Sandlot.

25. By Scott H on Jun 10, 2015 | Reply

clssylssy –

I look at it like this – if Logan Thomas was so ill-prepared to play last year that the coaches wouldn’t even put him out there….and we are now hearing from the head coach that Thomas has not made as much progress as he was hoping for….then, where is the hope for this kid supposed to come from?

The TD pass he threw against Denver is obviously not enough for the coaches at this point. so…I have to believe there is a reason for that. Heck, look at the play Tim Tebow made in OT against the Steelers in the playoffs a few years back, the pass to Demaryius Thomas. Well…that didn’t stop the Broncos from going all out to get Peyton Manning and shippng Tebow right out the door the minute that season was over. Time seems to be proving that the Broncos knew what they were doing. Yeah, you could say they would have dumped anyone to get Peyton Manning. But it was more than that. They KNEW what they had with Tebow and John Elway couldn’t be rid of him fast enough.

Now, I can’t say Thomas is just another Tebow, but…one long TD pass can’t be your whole resume, ya know?

26. By Dynosoar on Jun 10, 2015 | Reply

I believe what I said above, I’m not concerned whether we have Thomas or we have Sims at QB for that third spot. I trust BA and his staff.

It’s been pointed out by others on this site before, if one looks at stats and the play in our playoff game last year, Lindley outperformed Cam Newton, Carolina’s starter. Lindley outperformed Newton in that game. He didn’t win the game, but he wasn’t the only factor in our loss either.

Palmer or Stanton Would have won that game, but we didn’t have them, we were hurting last season.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens between Sims and Thomas. I’m ok with whomever BA gives the nod.

27. By John The Draft Guy on Jun 10, 2015 | Reply

Thomas’ TD pass;

I hit a tee shot that ended up 3 inches from the hole. It was as pretty as anything Tiger has ever hit.

But, that one shot does not make me a golfer. The total picture was, I hit a 91 on the day. But that one shot…..

Logan’s other passes were worst than bad. The fact he was named the starter for one day, then Lindley was put back in charge, tells me he was bad that day too. In college, he was very inaccurate. Instead of allowing Arians to release or trade Stanton by pushing as a #2 QB, he is in a battle to even make the team.

But you want to point at one pass (which I would argue was thrown into coverage and to the wrong player). But one pass gives you hope.

Well, I guess after my one shot, I should book my hotel at the Masters.

28. By Scott H on Jun 10, 2015 | Reply

clssylssy –

RE: Nobody really knows what the situation with Logan Thomas is

WE don’t. The coaches DO.

29. By clssylssy on Jun 10, 2015 | Reply

John the Draft Guy, Scott and all…
    I agree with much you are saying, but my point is not that Thomas is a diamond in the rough who will become our next franchise QB but that perhaps we haven’t seen enough of him to know anything and BA really hasn’t done anything one way or the other to inspire fans to believe Thomas held promise. Was it that he was ill prepared last season or, as BA stated over and over, he didn’t want to ruin him by playing him too soon. The guy is in his second year and so what do we know? Few teams play their rookie QBs IF they have a choice (Carson Palmer sat his entire rookie season) and Brock Osweiller was just beginning to get some playing time in Denver, so, I guess is comes down to asking how much we really have faith in Arians/Keim’s ability to identify and draft talent?
    I do think that Thomas’s athleticism could transfer to another position as suggested by others–maybe a good TE. My biggest concern is that we have REAL depth at the QB position and don’t ever find ourselves in the position we were in last year…poised to make a run but without a QB!
    The Tebow situation was entirely different and wasn’t so much a question of his abilities but more a question of being a distraction.
    I don’t think BA is quite the “open book” as some of our fans believe and has his reasons for what he does (or doesn’t do). I’d say it wouldn’t hurt to get Tom Moore a little more active in his “whispering” since it appears Keim/Arians feel we have the raw talent hanging around such that it wasn’t necessary to draft another QB. Or, we may all be surprised when preseason comes around and we get to actually see what we have.
    (I once had a hole in one and don’t even consider myself a golfer…those are dumb luck as real golfers know!)

30. By Scott H on Jun 10, 2015 | Reply

clssylssy –

As always, it’s been a good dialogue. But if I may disagree with one thing you said, it would be this – I think with Tebow, it was ABSOLUTELY about his ability. Or, perhaps more accurately stated, the lack thereof. Let’s not forget, he did have a shot with the Jets. And with the Jets having just about THE worst QB situation in the NFL when he was there, Tebow STILL couldn’t find his way onto the field. As bad as their QB’s were ( and they were bloody God awful), they never turned to Tebow to see what he could do. That seemed to speak volumes.

But enough about Tebow. From what we have heard, Thomas is going to get a lot of opportunity to prove himself this summer. We’ll see what happens. I’m not rooting against him. But I need him to show something – and SOON – to get more excited about him than I am right now.

31. By CreditCard on Jun 10, 2015 | Reply

Not certain if Sims or Thomas is the answer. I’m willing to bet that if another NFL team releases a half way quality journeyman as QB; the Cards will take a long hard look at that journeyman.

32. By CORMAC on Jun 10, 2015 | Reply

It only takes two years to evaluate a player. I have watched him in practice before and he does not have a clue whats going on. Its the mental part of the game he does not get. Churn the bottom of the roster and get better, that is the saying we have in place….. DO IT. All good coaches know when to move on. We are not here to make friends, but to win games……

33. By clssylssy on Jun 11, 2015 | Reply

Scott…
    I believe Tebow also did a stint with the Texans and didn’t cut it there either. I was never impressed with him, could never get past all the drama. He may have had potential that got snuffed out by the media frenzy, can’t really say but we have seen what backlash can do to a budding career (our own John Skelton comes to mind). We’ll hope for the best in camp but wouldn’t discount CreditCard’s suggestion that should a decent journeyman QB be released, that would also be a viable option.
    I just have a feeling BA is wanting to keep a few things under his hat, and our situation may be better than it would seem. Should be interesting…

34. By jeffcardinalfan on Jun 12, 2015 | Reply

scott h
    of course I was watching last yr… my point was that good qbs r so hard to find that if any team has to play #3 they r in trtouble. 3rd stringers r almost always a journeyman, raw young guy or a guy who knows “the system”. patriots r gonna have to play their untested young guy first 4 games this yr. remember kurt warner was not the 3rd stringer when trent green went down-he was #2-he showed enough to beat out thev other guys. jake plummer was definitely the #3 guy his rookie yr until kent graham got hurt…stoney case was hoirrible in his start the following week..enter jake who led cards on a 99 yd td drive culminating with a 33 yd td pass by jake…that could have been his “one pass” but following week against titans he threw 4 tds and a lot of pics. kurt and jake both had that something, that moxie that guys like jeff George were clearly missing but both were fortunate to get on the field as early as they did in their careers. my guess is that Thomas and simms will fight it out during preseason games. may the best man win and pray that neither of them or any journeyman cards might bring in play in regular season except in mop up roles.

35. By Scott H on Jun 16, 2015 | Reply

jeffcardinalfan –

My man, I’ll say one thing for you – you remember your Jake Plummer history very well! That first game was in Philly and I was watching it on TV. I thought it was officially a 98-yard drive and it was the longest TD drive of the entire NFL season that year. Plummer absoltely TORTURED the Eagles during his time with the Cardinals. And that alone was reason enough to love the guy! And I did. I think there needs to be a game in the near future where Jake is honored at halftime, or something.

36. By Scott H on Jun 16, 2015 | Reply

Wow, major league typo in that last post. Obviously, I meant to say “absolutely.”