Palmer rehab leads to extra improvement

Posted by Darren Urban on June 15, 2015 – 10:33 am

An interesting tidbit in the newest MMQB column about Carson Palmer’s rehab, which in itself has been covered but maybe not what it could mean to his game other than getting back on the field.

Palmer said his own film study revealed a problem in his mechanics, where he was failing to stay on the balls of his feet as he went through his read progressions as he glanced left. It meant he moved slightly left when doing so and was throwing off-balance because of it. Now that he has had to work so hard in rehab after a torn ACL and started his footwork from scratch, he made sure to update his mechanics as well — admitting he hadn’t worked on it enough as the years had gone by.

“It will help my completion percentage, it will help with my accuracy and it will also help us as a unit, because I won’t be making my left tackle’s job as difficult,” Palmer said. “In turn, I’ll be able to step into more throws. As I’m getting to my second and third and fourth read, I’m holding onto the ball a little bit longer and that pocket is getting slowly smaller, so it will give me more room to work with inside the pocket because I will be more centrally located.”

It wasn’t as if Palmer was inaccurate in the six games he played last season. In fact, he completed about 63 percent of his passes, and without an aberration of a game against Philly (only 20-for-42, despite throwing for 329 yards and two touchdowns, with no interceptions) Palmer’s completion percentage was 66 percent. But if Palmer is right and he not only can be more accurate but be able to be in a better place in the pocket as the rush closes in, the Cardinals’ passing game should see tangible benefits.

Palmeraccurate

Tags:

19 Responses to “Palmer rehab leads to extra improvement”

1. By rod on Jun 15, 2015 | Reply

I’m always optimistic at the start of the year but I’m more excited this time because it feels like e have a complete team, even with questions at LB, maybe they aren’t questions.

Go Cardinals

2. By Charley on Jun 15, 2015 | Reply

Can not wait. If Palmer is better in 2015/2016 than Palmer was in 2014, health and accuracy together, a better O line, a better D line, a great Defense, very talented receiving core, and a much improved running game, what would that mean. Super Bowl win number one for the Cardinals and the Cardinal Nation. Course they have to prove this to Green Bay, Seattle, Philadelphia, and possibly Minnesota or New Orleans. This is my list of NFC contenders for the 50th Super Bowl and of course the Big Red Sea is on the list. Just notice one thing: no Cowboys on this list.

3. By Steve . on Jun 15, 2015 | Reply

Darren: If Palmer stays healthy for all 16 games next season can we expect at least 25-30 td passes, 4000 yds and a completion percentage of at least 62% in this offense? That’s not asking for to much is it?

4. By Darren Urban on Jun 15, 2015 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Palmer health

Well, when he was healthy in 2013, he got 4,274 yards, 24 TDs, and 63 pct., so …

5. By CreditCard on Jun 15, 2015 | Reply

Power running game is a QBs best friend. I think the area the Cards will drastically improve is their running game with the changes on the O-line; I see good things happening.

6. By Scott H on Jun 15, 2015 | Reply

Forget exactly where I saw these stats but they were pretty damn amazing. In Palmer’s last 15 starts ( all for the Cardinals, of course ) –

– the Cardinals were 13-2 ( I repeat, 13-2 )
    – he had a 27-12 TD-to-INT ratio
    – he had a completion percentage of 65%
    – he had a QB rating of 97 ( rounded off )

Again, pretty damn amazing. Yet, I continue to see Palmer ranked anywhere from 17 to 21 among QB’s in the league right now. Really? With THOSE numbers? I don’t think so. With those numbers, he has basically been among the best QB’s in the league during that stretch.

Just goes to show ya how perceptions of the masses tend to work. It seems like so many people just wrote Palmer off after he was done in Cincy. OK, I guess it didn’t help that he went from there to the Raiders. I mean, that has been a place where players have been going to die for over a decade now. Fine. Yet, HIS numbers were solid despite the team’s record. So, then he comes to Arizona, a place that too many people still believe is just….nowhere. And, yet, look again at the numbers above. They coincide with the Cardinals winning 21 games over the last 2 seasons. Outside of Seattle, I don’t know if any other team has won as many games during that time.

So….it appears that people’s PERCEPTIONS of Carson Palmer and the Cardinals do not match what the REALITY has been.

Part of what made 2008 so much fun was that it was Kurt Warner ( a QB who was once great, but many people wrote him off ) leading the Arizona Cardinals ( a team that no one wanted to take seriously ) to the Super Bowl. And then, almost winning the damn thing!!! Anyone seeing a chance for another funhouse ride in 2015? All the ingredients are there! If Palmer can stay healthy, we might just see it all again.

SOOOOO much is attainable for Palmer this season, and I think he knows it. AND I believe he wants it. If he can just stay healthy, he has a chance to pilot a ship that can take him there.

7. By Crow on Jun 15, 2015 | Reply

Im so glad Palmer didn’t just stay at home and pout about re tearing that acl and went back and studied film and was able to learn how to keep getting better and better and how to improve himself in his older age……… just goes to show you can show an older dog new tricks hahahaha

8. By shannon robinson on Jun 16, 2015 | Reply

I had this same feeling about Sonny Jurgensen, Neil Lomax, and Kurt Warner. There’s nothing like playing with a top NFL franchise QB! Carson Palmer is a true student of the game and that includes his game.

9. By clssylssy on Jun 16, 2015 | Reply

No doubt about it, the team is better with a healthy Palmer but the problem has been staying healthy enough to play an entire season and into the playoffs which an improved 0-line will, no doubt help. If we were paying any other player the kind of money we are Palmer and they only played six games, this crowd would be screaming to find a replacement or for him to take a pay cut. Stanton got us to the playoffs and so we know he is solid but that #3 QB position is still a critical piece if we have any illusions about making another SB run. I love that we have depth for the first time in years at most positions but at the most important one we still have a big question mark and while the Patriots and Packers are securing their backups and the best talent is being snapped up, we are hoping that our problem can be bandaided in camp? I’m still waiting to see who is going to replace Cro and exactly how tough our defense really is even if, on paper and in theory, it should be good. The biggest piece of our defense was Todd Bowles and his wizardry for drawing up blitzes and magically transforming a much beaten and battered bunch of players into a force to be feared, and, much of that came from his years of experience in the league as a coordinator and understanding how other coaches think and their tactics. While our new DC may be qualified and intelligent, Keim can only bring in the talent and there are other teams with talent too, Not getting LeBeau to serve in a Tom Moore capacity mentor for our new DC really was a bigger setback than has been acknowledge and I wonder if there is any plan to try to bring in any other sage defensive “Yodas” to help out?

10. By clssylssy on Jun 16, 2015 | Reply

Scott H.
    Agree with much you said however, the issue hasn’t really been Palmer’s skillset as his durability. He sat out his entire rookie year (not uncommon or health related), then was on fire with the Bengals only to have his knee injury and never quite the same there…on to the Raiders (toxic organization) and then to the Cards and our good fortune initially..and more injury (at a much older age). While a healthy Palmer certainly would be what this team deserves, and I believe our offense is in a much better place to be successful and give him the weapons to assist him, the vast majority of “experts” don’t grade the Cards higher because of our QB situation and the loss of Todd Bowles.
    I’m very encouraged by what appears to be a more active role by the organization, and veteran players, in the health aspect of our athletes including the new facility with the cateteria and nutritionist, as well, as education of rookies like John Brown about the toll junk food can take on their game.
    Hopefully, everything will come together with an end result being a more healthy and durable group of athletes (not just Palmer) who can carry us far into the playoffs.
    Playing the Saints for our opener will be a good test of just how good all of our changes really are when put to the test as they have put together a pretty killer defense this off season, and, like him or not, their DC, “Coach Cowboy Boots” showed last time we played them (in the Dome) he can be successful with the right talent.
    Gonna be an exciting season!

11. By Scott H on Jun 16, 2015 | Reply

clssylssy –

RE: Palmer’s skills vs his durability

No real arguement there. But I do point out that for the first half of 2013, we were seeing a different Palmer than what he has been since then. I remember being very frustrated at that point by his throwing as many INT’s as TD on a consistent basis. In that respect, it was like the beginning of Kurt’s time here. And we all saw how he turned it around! Palmer has clearly turned his game around ( like Kurt again ) to a point where you could say he is playing at a level on par with what his best has been in the past.

12. By ShawnRyan on Jun 16, 2015 | Reply

Clssylssy & Scott H

Bengals fan here (And HUGE Palmer fan). I actually get the NFL Ticket every year simply to watch Cardinals games because I am such a big Palmer fan and and have actually felt myself pulling for the Cards and Palmer more than the Bengals. (It’s hard to get excited when your QB is Andy Dalton and coach is Marvin Lewis) But I digress.

To Clssylssy, Carson actually came back fine from his first ACL tear. His numbers were comparable to the 2005 year and even better in some categories. What the issue became was a makeshift line with revolving doors and a RB by committee with names like Chris Perry and Kenny Watson as starters. Not to mention defenses ranked below 20 every year. (We lost a shootout to Cleveland and Derek Anderson for God’s sake!) Then it eventually got to Chad Johnson being a sideshow and caring about his reality show and not showing up to offsets on workouts and the #2 WR being a 46 year old Laveurnius Coles and then a 43 year old TO. The elbow issue did hinder him, but it hasn’t since the year after it happened.

Here’s to a healthy CP3 and a great year!
    WHO DEY?!

13. By Chuck 1 on Jun 16, 2015 | Reply

Shawn,

Welcome aboard.
    Thanks for the first hand insight.
    Look forward to your future posts.

14. By Chuck 1 on Jun 16, 2015 | Reply

Shawn,

Oh, I forgot to say “BEAT THE STEELERS”!!!

15. By Daniel Thompson on Jun 17, 2015 | Reply

Shaq Riddick will be a bust……..called that shot right after the draft…….hire me Bidwell.

16. By Scott H on Jun 17, 2015 | Reply

ShawnRyan –

First, welcome! Always room for another Cardinals fan if you want jump on board. I hear ya about the Bengals. I just don’t feel it with Andy Dalton. His potential seems limited. He does not appear to be a next-level QB.

That said….um….we prefer to NOT use the D-word around here. The D-word being Derek Anderson, of course. That was a dark chapter in our lives and we have all tried so hard to forget it and move on.

17. By shawnRyan on Jun 17, 2015 | Reply

Thanks for the welcome, fellas!

ScottH, Dalton is very limited. The talent around him and the OL make s him look a lot more presentable than if he were on another team with less pieces.

And I also must apologize for the D reference. However, in my defense I actually had to witness him throw for 5 TDS and beat us 51-45 in person…oh…and the game just happened to be in Cleveland. So, I have to request a pass on the D reference.

18. By shawnRyan on Jun 17, 2015 | Reply

Daniel Thompson,

I gotta ask…how exactly can a 5th round draft pick be considered a bust? Even if he never made the team he wouldn’t be considered a bust due to the fact that you generally just HOPE to get production from a 5th round pick.

19. By clssylssy on Jun 17, 2015 | Reply

ShawnRyan…
    Welcome; it’s good to have another perspective from the other side of the league, Sometimes the long suffering Cards fans get to feeling like we alone have suffered through so much disappointment and shattered hopes that it’s a good reminder that we are, in reality, not unique in that, and having a winning season becomes so much more! In his entire time with the Cards I don’t think D. Anderson threw for five TDs in one game, possibly in one season would have been more like it but hopefully those dark days are behind us.
    It’s good when a talent like Carson Palmer can finally land with a team in which there is a good chemistry and achieve success and the Cards have been fortunate. We ALL have our fingers crossed that he will have a healthy season and with the weapons at hand, hit some of the heights he was denied earlier in his career through bad luck and unfortunate matchups.