“Something will work out” for Washington?

Posted by Darren Urban on June 19, 2015 – 1:11 pm

Still no news on the Daryl Washington suspension front, although XTRA 910’s Mike Jurecki reported today that he actually has traded text messages with Washington and that the linebacker texted that he is “confident something will work out” for his return. Jurecki also reported Washington texted he was planning on being ready for training camp. Jurecki also said Washington told him he hasn’t gotten any word from the league about his reinstatement, so I would take that to mean Washington has indeed applied for reinstatement.

Again, Washington must first be reinstated from his current indefinite suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. Once that happens, the league will address whatever punishment he might get for his assault conviction last year (which is now officially in the books as a misdemeanor.) The Cardinals also have to figure out what they want to do with Washington once all that comes to pass — it is still not a lock Washington will be welcomed back even once his suspension is lifted.

Tags:

24 Responses to ““Something will work out” for Washington?”

1. By D on Jun 19, 2015 | Reply

I know DWash is a long way from playing for AZ, but I would be shocked after he is re-instated and served a 4-6 game suspension if AZ would cut him and take a $6.5mil dollar cap hit. Then again, a team has to be able to depend on a player to be able to play on the field and he clearly has had many issues preventing him from that…

2. By D on Jun 19, 2015 | Reply

Good to see Cooper and Massie working hard before OTA’s. Check out that online story about LeCharles Bentley.

3. By Steve . on Jun 19, 2015 | Reply

Darren: I have noticed in the past Jurecki being given “insider information” that apparently may or may not be available to the rest of the Cards beat writers? Washington wont answer text messages from anyone except Jurecki? Does Mike have a Jay Glazer like rapport with the Cards organization or something?

4. By Darren Urban on Jun 19, 2015 | Reply

Steve —

RE: DWash

He does with Daryl, apparently.

5. By Bruce on Jun 19, 2015 | Reply

DWash will be out of shape, but holy cow. Much need the dude is a human torpedo. Nose for the for the QB. It will take a DWash type LB to stop Russell Wilson. You know Russell doesn’t want him on the cardinals. Ooooh hooo hooo!

6. By Daniel on Jun 19, 2015 | Reply

If D-Wash played for the Patriots or Cowboys, Packers, Giants, Jets, Steelers etc……..we would have a decision on D-Wash……….bunch of BS.

7. By Pete Dowdle on Jun 19, 2015 | Reply

The Card’s can certainly survive without D. Washington (see: 2014), but their D. would undoubtedly thrive with him in the line-up. With that said, though, I couldn’t care less about the guy at this point, after his second suspension appears to be wrapping up before long… and his potential third suspension begins. He’s a luxury, not a necessity… and the Card’s proved that they can win at least ten games a season with him some or none of the time. I enjoy the Card’s for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is for their apparent appreciation for quality characters. I understand giving someone a second chance, and I was thrilled that they did just that with Washington before, with Matthieu when he was drafted, and others over the years. But I would think that giving Washington yet another chance would be a mistake, even if only because of the uncertainty he brings with him. Move on, develop the players in his spot, and let him figure his life out. And, if someone else wants to give him a chance and he learns to do things the right way then and there, then good for him and good for them. I don’t wish him ill, I just don’t wish to see him where the same uniform as those who actually value the privilege above mere selfish foolishness.

8. By Richard L on Jun 19, 2015 | Reply

I’m bored waiting for an answer. The Fans need to move on and so does the team.

9. By Dr. G. on Jun 19, 2015 | Reply

Total BS, and more BS. Regarding Washington, anything Jurecki passes on is naive on his part…he has always been a scoop shot artist. Washington is working J’s gullible side this time. None of it makes sense. Analyze This! They are schmoozing each other…keeps the vine open.

How can he be ready for camp with more sanctions looming? Why wouldn’t DWash just call you Darren and brag about his legitimacy? That would lend credence to all this. …much later fans

10. By Chuck 1 on Jun 19, 2015 | Reply

Re: The Cards letting DW go and swallowing his cap hit:

I’m reminded of what Arte Marino, owner of the Anaheim Angels did with Josh Hamilton. He paid him $125,000,000 about three years ago and Hamilton never performed on the field the way he had in Texas. Then, Hamilton self-reported a drug relapse. Marino still owed Hamilton $80,000,000. He traded him to Texas and will contribute about $60,000,000 to his salary in Texas i.e. eating a HUGE amount of change.

Can I see Michael and Keim taking a similar action re: DW?

I know that they’ve expressed disappointment with his transgressions, but they might swallow hard and keep him on the team.

Of course, $6,500,000 isn’t $60,000,000.

11. By rod on Jun 19, 2015 | Reply

Maybe Jurecki has texted him and maybe not.

Almost everything I have ever heard Jurecki say about anything football related was usually out by someone else minutes earlier. I doubt this is his scoop.

He just regurgitates stuff.

12. By Sven Eivenson on Jun 19, 2015 | Reply

Steve-
    Unfortunately Urban just sits around waiting to regurgitate whatever the coaches said that day instead of being proactive like Jurecki and getting the info we have all been asking for. Now he will do his predictable hitting the dislike button 10 times.

13. By don hill on Jun 19, 2015 | Reply

of course he’s a lock to come back . BA already said his teammates all want him back . these guys want to win football games . they’d have to be mental . to not take him back . he’s done everything he needed to do . they can’t wait to have him back . we’re in win now mode .. anybody with a clue. knows we’re much better with DWash
    GO CARDS ! ! ! ! !

14. By T-Roy on Jun 20, 2015 | Reply

He needs to come forward (DW) He needs to talk with his face on the camera (DW) He needs to eat crow (DW) He needs to be forward, which he has had a hard time doing his entire PRO career. Nobody, I mean nobody, has been a CARDS fan as long as me. (49 now and was born and raised in St. Louis and followed my CARDS since I was 5 years old, going to the games and sitting on my Uncle’s knees just to see the field. Live in Richmond, VA now and still love my team) DW-if a man loses his integrity, what does he have? If a man is given a second chance and blows it, what do you do to help him? If a man is criticized via media and written, what should he do to get back to positive? Well, my answer is this, He (DW) needs his friends and family. Who is that? CARDINALS locker room. Get him back. See if he has changed. We as fans depend on BA; SK and Michael to be great all of the time. Why not believe in them for this decision. I BELIEVE IN YOU 3 GENTLEMEN. Let’s go for it. Someone said earlier, DW is a player that would be a great surprise if he can play. WE have won lots of games without him. CARDS are going to be good either way. Why not try and help this young man, young man making bad choices, through this bad time in his life. WE ARE A TEAM!!!

15. By Dale Vargo on Jun 20, 2015 | Reply

It like the team is being punished too! With the league not giving a answer, its not leaving them a lot of time to figure out what they need to do. Cut him, find a replacement, trade him!

16. By rod on Jun 20, 2015 | Reply

Sven-

Darren never claims to be an insider, that’s the difference between he and Jurecki.

If you were on twitter and follow the people I follow you’d see time and time again that Jurecki tweets stuff moments after others have.

A positive about that is if you follow Jurecki only you’ll probably get most all the info you’ll want.

17. By warnerHOF on Jun 21, 2015 | Reply

i agree wwith you sven. the only time he quotes what a player or arians etc. says is from an interview someone else did or a press conference. he knows nothing about football except from what he hears wolf or somebody else says.

18. By Scott H on Jun 21, 2015 | Reply

ugh…..this just doesn’t have a good feel to it. I get the same vibe from this I was getting from the Abraham thing during all of last summer. It just seems like this has been going on for so long now and there is still nothing ahead but the many hurdles he has yet to clear. More hurdles and no light at the end of this tunnel in sight. Yet.

19. By rod on Jun 21, 2015 | Reply

Didn’t he have a 7 million dollar roster bonus last year and they paid it even knowing he was going to sit? He isn’t going anywhere.

20. By Dr. G. on Jun 23, 2015 | Reply

Sven – the newbie… Obviously, you don’t understand how this works. Darren is here to do exactly what you don’t like, apparently. He reports items from the Ownership, Coaches, Staff and legitimate news sources…

He will remain as neutral as possible, and print THINGS THAT ARE VERIFIED TO BE TRUE. He is cautious with his opinion based upon the FACTS he knows to be accurate.

Fairness? He printed your rant, didn’t he?

We use grown-up approaches here…give it a try….if you are indeed a real fan…

21. By rod on Jun 23, 2015 | Reply

Yes, what Dr. G said!

22. By Brad on Jun 26, 2015 | Reply

DW appears to be in classic denial that he has any issues. My guess, he hasn’t applied for reinstatement because there are still issues. Sad, but time to move on.

23. By brinnc on Jun 28, 2015 | Reply

T-Roy
    Damn I thought someone had stolen my login and posted under a false name when I read your blog!! The line about being a long time Cardinals fanatic, is a mirror image of mine!!
    I’m 49 years old, I was raised on the Illinois side of the river right on I64, but I have pictures of myself wearing a Cardinal football helmet with a Cardinal logo diaper!! My first memory was a game I attended at 4 yrs of age, I only remember the huge stadium and tons and tons of people, dont even remember who my beloved Cardinals played!! But I left the area 1 week after graduation and went all over the world wherever the Marine Corps sent me I still kept up on my Beloved Cardinals (both football and baseball by the way!) Even last season, I was on a very small (officially doesn’t exist if you ask the government!) Combat outpost in Afghanistan trying to get information on my Cardinals the entire time, of course that took a backseat most the time, I had a job to do and wasnt about to get myself dead, it was my 6th tour over and hopefully my last so there was no doubt in my mind I was coming home in the vertical position!! But I have been a lifelong diehard Cardinal fanatic my entire life and will continue to be until my last breath!! Through good and bad, taking a ton of crap from my fellow Marines through the years, funny I dont hear much from them now that the Cardinals are the real deal, they seemed to have lost touch!! LOL! As far as nobody being a fan as long as you, I have been a fan just as long, almost identical amount of years it sounds like, but not to burst your bubble, there are a few posters on here that are a couple decades ahead of us and claimed to have been lifelong Cardinal fans, so there are a few who have us by 20 or so yrs, but not many!!! I currently reside in Eastern North Carolina, about 3 hrs from Richmond, but know your area quite well, I did a couple of tours with the Presidential helicopter Squadron so I lived in Northern Virginia for some time and used to make the trek back up to Northern Va every other weekend for over two years dont see much of Richmond now that the bypass has been open for some time now, back in the early 90’s used to make the trek thru downtown Richmond right on I95, here’s to a couple of Midwesterners who have held the faith and have never given up on our beloved Cardinals!!!

Oh by the way it looks like come the end of July if the Marine Corps gets around to retiring me once again, I will be heading back home to rinky dink southern Illinois to live!!! Swore I would never return to that hickville, nothing there for me, but both my parents are getting up there in age and dont get around so well so its time for me to return and help care for mom and dad, its time!! After 30+ years of traveling the world im going back to my roots to care for my Parents, and of course take in some baseball Cardinal games, and obviously some of my beloved Blues, and last but not least, im for sure going to make the trip North to take in my beloved FIGHTING ILLINI, both basketball and football, hell after the awesome year they had this season in baseball im going to ensure I take in a few ILLINOIS baseball games as well, now I cant wait to finally return to the place I swore I would never return to!!! Keep the faith, it wont be long now before our beloved Cardinals b ring the Lombardi Trophy to Arizona, where it should have been last season if not for all the devastating injuries the Cards had, if not for those numerous injuries to starters and most of our key contributors, we would have been SuperBowl Champions! !!

2. Jun 21, 2015: Los dueños del juego (VIII) | Mundo disoluto