More trouble for Abraham

Posted by Darren Urban on June 30, 2015 – 9:39 am

It’s been a rough year-plus for John Abraham. The former Cardinals linebacker, who suffered a season-ending concussion in the opener last year, was a free agent after the season. I’ve gotten a few questions if there was a chance he would return. I’ve said more than once he wouldn’t be coming back — it didn’t make much sense, and that’s assuming doctors cleared him after saying he needed at least a year off because of his head — but the news last night that Abraham is wanted on a battery charge after allegedly hitting a business associate seems to cement the end of Abraham’s NFL career.

After his 11½ -sack season in 2013 for the Cardinals, Abraham didn’t participate in OTAs in 2014. Then he wasn’t at the start of training camp, showing up more than two weeks late saying he had to deal with personal issues. It also came out that Abraham had been arrested for a DUI in Georgia in late June. He geared up for the season, but against the Chargers in the opener, he got a concussion. It was bad enough that he briefly considered retirement before changing his mind (which was smart, because he could then collect his salary.) The concussion led doctors to tell Abraham he needed to take at least a year off from the game.

In his 15-year career, Abraham had 133½ sacks.

Abeuse

Tags:

9 Responses to “More trouble for Abraham”

1. By Dynosoar on Jun 30, 2015 | Reply

That’s deflating news. Not that he’s not coming back, but the charges. I was just reading the Fitzgerald article again and some comments (Craig is right, get Fitz a ring) and then I read this article.

Two articles with a very different feel. I don’t want to get all Fatherly or Scoutmasterish, but I can’t help compare these two players.

I hope John Abraham get’s his life where he wants it and can find joy and satisfaction and peace, because it sounds like that’s not where he is. Maybe he is, but it doesn’t sound like it. Maybe the concussions have had a lingering effect. Maybe he lost control, I don’t know. A lot of maybes, but definitely some unpleasant news.

(Darren, thanks for sharing with us the good and the bad.)

Last post I was feeling all jovial and bantering with everyone. Now, I feel somewhat melancholy.

John, I wish you all the best and I hope things turn around. Thanks for adding to your 133.5 sacks wearing Cardinals red. Good luck with everything.

2. By Scott H on Jun 30, 2015 | Reply

Well….very sad on 2 fronts. Very sad that such a good player is going out like this after a long career. And very sad that we brought him here just in time for it.

I swear, I don’t even want to think about him or speak his name. It just brings back the memories of last summer, which really kinda’ sucked. Between the injuries, the legal problems, the suspensions, and whatever we want to classify what happened with Abraham as, it just sucked.

Here’s to a healthy Carson Palmer being the face of THIS summer for this team!🙂

3. By Dave Snow on Jun 30, 2015 | Reply

Great post Dynosoar. Captured my feelings exactly.

4. By Andy Know on Jun 30, 2015 | Reply

Still one of the premier pass rushers in NFL History. Although the ending for unfortunate, he remains a force whenever he plays.

5. By D on Jun 30, 2015 | Reply

Maybe today’s players need to download/rent the The Sopranos. Not too many good things occur at those adult establishments..and definitely not at 3 am.

6. By Eazy E on Jul 1, 2015 | Reply

I loved ”2 Bible Names” as I affectionately call him and would still love him back if he’s cleared concussion-wise and legality-wise. Let’s wait for more details for a decent post to type instead of burying the brotha!

7. By rod on Jul 1, 2015 | Reply

What kind of bidniss do he have?

8. By Dynosoar on Jul 1, 2015 | Reply

BigBobDiesel,

Did you notice Darren’s response to your post in the last blog article?

One team and one team only for me as well. I liked reading your “Why I’m a Cardinals fan story.” (T-Roy, again, thanks for the prompt for many to respond.)

I have five NFL lists, in descending order of favorite to least favorite.

1. The Cardinals
    2. The Cardinals
    3. Everyone not on lists 1, 2, 4 or 5
    4. The Seahawks, 49ers, Giants and Steelers (all equal)
    5. The Cowboys

I guess I do have a second favorite team. Interesting.

2. Jun 30, 2015: Cardinals’ John Abraham reportedly wanted following incident | Fan Buzz